2016 Olympic Multihull

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1923 replies to this topic

#1901 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

many countries like japan have a HUGE investment in university team 470 sailing

they will do their best to keep it in the games as they feel it is the only way they will ever win a sailing medal

plus it crosses over the keel boats better than most

#1902 F16_wouter

F16_wouter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

1336355287[/url]' post='3701701']
How about

Kite (male and female)
Sailboard (male and female)
Dinghy (male and female)
Multi (male and female)
Keelboat (male and female)

That would cause a $hit fight, wouldn't it :D

How about
KiteSailboardSKIFFmultihullKeelboat
and drop that dinghy altogether ? Now that will cause a $hit fight of truly epic proportions

#1903 ojfd

ojfd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

What's going on here? Just a few days have passed since kite was chosen and now everyone and his brother are having an opinion what should and what should not be at the Olympics.
What about dropping sailing completely from Olympics, everyone STFU and all go sailing whatever they like.
How's that for proposal?

#1904 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Same width as a F18, which we all tow on normal trailers here in AUS. (we do run the risk of getting booked but we have all been doing it for 7 years now)

Most interesting. Despite reading over the F18 box rule a few times now I somehow managed to miss that one.

#1905 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Same width as a F18, which we all tow on normal trailers here in AUS. (we do run the risk of getting booked but we have all been doing it for 7 years now)

Most interesting. Despite reading over the F18 box rule a few times now I somehow managed to miss that one.

This is where it is a concern. People just see running the risk of getting booked. I see running the risk of going to jail if you kill someone or not being covered in the event of an accident.

#1906 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

This is where it is a concern. People just see running the risk of getting booked. I see running the risk of going to jail if you kill someone or not being covered in the event of an accident.

My friends racing on F18 in Europe pretend the cops it is the required width, they did it for years and never had a problem. Just a little stress when they are stopped.

#1907 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

What will they do if they have an accident. The first thing they will check, particularly in a fatality.

I posted this in the Nacra 17 thread. Perhaps worth it's own thread though.

Tow over width at your own risk. It just takes one copper to look at the boat and think this looks wide, I might measure it. Or worse still, you have an accident, say the trailer hits a car in the next lane or when some dickhead tries to pass you around a corner and the insurance company knocks you back.

Could you imagine if you killed someone. Letís say a car clipped your trailer coming the other way and loses control. You WILL be doing jail time. Are these risks worth it? Why not invest a few more $$$$ in a tilt trailer. Some people are very short sighted. Anyone towing an F18 flat in OZ really needs to have a good think about what they are doing, the risks they are putting the public at and potential impact on not only to the general public, but themselves, their wife, kids, family and friends when they are sentence to a jail term.

I work in the Transport Logistics industry and am very aware of the dangers and implications of operating outside the law. Manufactures (boats and trailers) also need to be very aware of this as they have a responsibility under duty of care. They can find themselves doing jail time just as quick as the operator if they have knowledge their product does not meet legal requirements and they have not taken reasonable steps to advise the customer.

#1908 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

I agree, but i think that, in the end, it will be a personal choice, some may be willing to buy a tilt (even though the rumor says it "softens" boats), most others will be on regular trailer. All my friends in Europe or North America have regular terailer for their F18, nobody went in jail, as far as I know. I don't know about Australia, and may listen horror stories here. I personnally would take the chance.

#1909 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

I have created a thread here to discuss over width trailers / boats. Hopefully this will keep this thread a little more on topic.

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=134773

#1910 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

Dutch interview with former F18 WC Coen de Koning about the Nacra 17:

Google messes up the title but it should read "De Koning: The Nacra 17 is an awesome boat"
http://translate.goo...-een-vette-boot

#1911 vmg

vmg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

I wonder if Bundy and caroline have oedered their N17s yet?

#1912 Tcatman

Tcatman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

hmm.... I think bundy's playing with bigger toys these days!

#1913 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

If he is not replaced.

#1914 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

If he is not replaced.

Maybe not the right place, but seeing you like to spread bullshit about Bundy and Carolijn, why would he be replaced? The word from SF is that it Bundy is always the fastest in a straight line and as his job is 90% as a test sailor, he is doing rather well. If you think that his results at the ACWS are important to his job security, you are very, very wrong. The ACWS is almost like a bonus, play time as a reward for all the hard work done in testing. It should also be noted that Bundy seems to do well in the speed trials and has regularly shown he is super fast in the racing. The most likely reason why he hasn't had the results is the rest of the guys in the boat. For instance, Tom has so little experience and no training time. It is also thought that Bundy ahs had a bit of a "B" team compared with JS and it will be interesting to see how he goes with the crew shake up, although I do wonder whether having Coutts on board is more of a handicap than a help (is he strong and fit enough?).

Finally, I don't know if you noticed, but in the race that really matters for the AC, the match racing, Bundy knocked out JS in Naples.

I guess this is another case of you not letting the facts get in the way of your prejudices ;)

#1915 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

If he is not replaced.

Maybe not the right place, but seeing you like to spread bullshit about Bundy and Carolijn, why would he be replaced? The word from SF is that it Bundy is always the fastest in a straight line and as his job is 90% as a test sailor, he is doing rather well. If you think that his results at the ACWS are important to his job security, you are very, very wrong. The ACWS is almost like a bonus, play time as a reward for all the hard work done in testing. It should also be noted that Bundy seems to do well in the speed trials and has regularly shown he is super fast in the racing. The most likely reason why he hasn't had the results is the rest of the guys in the boat. For instance, Tom has so little experience and no training time. It is also thought that Bundy ahs had a bit of a "B" team compared with JS and it will be interesting to see how he goes with the crew shake up, although I do wonder whether having Coutts on board is more of a handicap than a help (is he strong and fit enough?).

Finally, I don't know if you noticed, but in the race that really matters for the AC, the match racing, Bundy knocked out JS in Naples.

I guess this is another case of you not letting the facts get in the way of your prejudices ;)

Simon, it is stange how you allways miss the gobal picture and how your judgement are allways alterated by you desire, like for the Viper.

Yes, it is true that Darren Bundock was one of the best Tornado sailor, the fastest on speed trials, but we know it does not mean anything. But you are wrong to say I don't want him to win, unlike you I allways said that best multi sailors have their place at the AC. Sometimes I don't know if you don't remember your previous posts or if you are an hypocrit Anyway.

But you conveniently hide the fact that he is 5th, equal with the second rated Team Korea. Much under OR expectations. Agree too that he may have got bad results because of poor tactics.

In a good run company, like OR, they don't replace a key player before giving him all chances, IMO that is what OR is doing.

Another fact, you have bee constantly wrong in this thread, however I hope you are right, as...... I would like Bundy to stay.
But presuming he will is plain stupid :D

#1916 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

If he is not replaced.

Simon, it is stange how you allways miss the gobal picture and how your judgement are allways alterated by you desire, like for the Viper.

Yes, it is true that Darren Bundock was one of the best Tornado sailor, the fastest on speed trials, but we know it does not mean anything. But you are wrong to say I don't want him to win, unlike you I allways said that best multi sailors have their place at the AC. Sometimes I don't know if you don't remember your previous posts or if you are an hypocrit Anyway.

But you conveniently hide the fact that he is 5th, equal with the second rated Team Korea. Much under OR expectations. Agree too that he may have got bad results because of poor tactics.

In a good run company, like OR, they don't replace a key player before giving him all chances, IMO that is what OR is doing.

Another fact, you have bee constantly wrong in this thread, however I hope you are right, as...... I would like Bundy to stay.
But presuming he will is plain stupid :D

Take it over to AC Anarchy, which I have, and see why you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

#1917 F16_wouter

F16_wouter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

1336515669[/url]' post='3704527']

1336485463[/url]' post='3703671']

1336295084[/url]' post='3701175']

Talking about accidents !
http://vimeo.com/32382270
Link to vimeo video clip of F16 crash

be sure to watch to part between 4 min 0 sec and 7 min 10 secs !

As the beginning of the video explains, this involves two adult guys racing and smash crashing a 107 kg Falcon F16 with a carbon mast at full speed under spinnaker. They walked away (literally!) with only the tips of the boards chipped. Even de spi pole survived and they raced the next day.
In figured you guys would enjoy this clip as much as I do. It also proofs that mr Pete Melvin is wrong about carbon F16 masts. In fact, they are allowed and used in F16 racing, most owners simply choose to go with the cheaper alu masts.
Enjoy !

#1918 ita 16

ita 16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

Its a Carbon mast ?

#1919 tikipete

tikipete

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

That is correct.

https://www.facebook.com/FalconMarine?ref=ts#!/photo.php?fbid=363230793700023&set=a.328485050507931.77445.128571883832583&type=1&theater

#1920 ita 16

ita 16

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Good building Mat ! Realy strong platform and mast !

#1921 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

And centerboard cases :o

Great vid.

#1922 F16_wouter

F16_wouter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

1336786090[/url]' post='3710176']
And centerboard cases :o

Great vid.

Well, maybe the best part is that literally Matt is still correct. He never said that bringing spares on the boat would prevent him from HITTING anything, just that it would prevent BREAKING anything. On that score he is still correct unless you include his pride among the things that may be broken.
Great fun !

#1923 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Two Nacra 17s will be sailing at Round Texel, that should give us a clear indication of the boat's performance.
Hopefully they will also sail the Dutch Open prior to that (three days of bouy racing).

#1924 F16_wouter

F16_wouter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

1336812870[/url]' post='3710409']
Two Nacra 17s will be sailing at Round Texel, that should give us a clear indication of the boat's performance.
Hopefully they will also sail the Dutch Open prior to that (three days of bouy racing).

their texelrating was fixed at 98, or at least they have raced off that number at the voorjaarsbokaal of cat club Hellecat last april.
For those who don't know yet : F18's are at 100 and F16's are at 102, Tornado's are at 94 and the Nacra 20c is at 89. This year Texel race will give an indication of how well it sails to its rating although the Dutch Open will be a better measure. We'll know how a distance race can turn into a crapshoot.