307 replies to this topic

#301 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

webbing tramps are a viable compromise solution with wide racks, aborb some of the waves but still give decent footing and sitting comfort, can be sized to keep lines aboard. Howie tried solid cloths but Paul subsequently removed them.

#302 Andrew P

Andrew P

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:55 AM

I would counter that with the observation that they might have perceived the racked boats to be too hard to sail for the skills set that the mna group have/had at the time of the trials.
As a I14 sailor used to racked boats, I understand that the wider winged platform of the 49 er hull gives improved comfort and security initially, but becomes a problem in more extreme conditions and waves.
I hope that the lack of familiarity with the more extreme alternative doesn't lock the girls into a poison chalice in the longer term. My concerns would be mass and Windage of the 49er platform during non harbour launches for the target group.

we've had skiffs in Sydney for over a century and they were designed to sail, not launch

look at the current Moth, is that a good "launcher"

separate note: what is a 'harbour launch' and what are not "harbour launches" ? http://www.google.co...iw=1024&bih=677

A "launch" in Adelaide and Melbourne often requires navigating through three rows of breaking waves with foils half down. This does put a premium on excellent boat handling skills and as always some luck. A "launch" in Sydney, in my experience, has no such requirement.

Other "Launch's" usually require copious G&T only and are usually seen at Portsea or the Royals clubs. Posted Image

#303 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,649 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

This is how british athletes raised some money. Sexism and Olympics...wonderful stuff huh??

Posted Image

#304 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Guess they can hold their breath, where are the outtakes?

Was interesting reading Julian B's take on the skiff trials in Seahorse. I assume that he makes a royalty off every 49er hull still and has followon work as a consultant to the class(es) so not perhaps a completely objective source. He seemed to me to be critisizing RS900 as a knockoff of the 49er hull but with a "rig that would never balance". This after saying that he considers himself a friend to the co. owner, and the RS900 coming a close 2nd in the trials. Rig didn't look that bad so not sure what he meant. I have always thought that the 49er hull was somewhat unique and had not served as a template for many others so maybe some problematic aspects like the bow chines?

I really noticed last Sat. how much we were dragging the lee racks in breeze so am not too high on dragging around big wings in heavy seas. But being able to lay the wing on the water downspeed and launching might be nice, particularly for those not used to racks. In my singlehander when my racks hit the water the drag is punitive. SMOD is not my first choice so I am more partial to JB's multiple licenses approach. But the rigid controls are perhaps illusory given sufficient motivation and means, maybe better to allow more tolerance and allow a bit of development?

#305 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

This is how british athletes raised some money. Sexism and Olympics...wonderful stuff huh??

Posted Image

it's art and in the eye of the beholder

of course if the beholder is a dirty old perve, like the kind that gets caught leering at gas stations, it may appear seem like something else

#306 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

webbing tramps are a viable compromise solution with wide racks, aborb some of the waves but still give decent footing and sitting comfort, can be sized to keep lines aboard. Howie tried solid cloths but Paul subsequently removed them.

Webbing tramps have been tried on Moths from time to time, but solid cloth is by far the most popular, particularly for foilers. Front–of–the–fleet Moths with mesh tramps are rare, minimalist "G-string" tramps are passe, so the indicators are that solid wings are faster, at least for foiling Moths.

I had a low-rider with 50/50 mesh/cloth tramps, replaced later with solid cloth. Solid cloth was much better and most low-riders seem to use it, so better when not foiling too.

The two have different handling characteristics, mostly when it gets choppy. Wings provide fewer convenient footholds but foot placement isn't so critical, they can provide bouyancy but can also scoop up water and force it to run out the transom, making pitch control an issue (at a time when pitch control through chop is probably already be an issue). Those differences may suit some more than others, so where performance isn't an issue, it may boil down to personal preference.

#307 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

I think that it depends on if hiking or trapping, trapping i prefer open, hiking closed rack covers.

#308 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,649 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

we all know wnat gets the best Olympic TV ratings.

\\Pedophile candy//

In the winter games it is the mostly naked little girls playing on the ice. . In the summer it is the mostly naked little girls wiggling around in the gym.

If you want Olympic TV time for females who sail the key is exploitation of the Opti crowd.

Problem is those kids sit down and don't move enough.

The best potential women's Olympic sport is probably trick windsurfing without lifejackets to block the view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users