• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

Carbon is for sale again in the classifieds, and I'm having a really hard time finding any results for this boat. It seems as if people buy it, sail it for a short while, then mothball it. What's the go? Is it too technical, too fast, poorly rated, what's the deal? It looks really damn good, and I'm curious to hear the full story.

#2 Sandgroper Yachting

Sandgroper Yachting

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:14 AM

Carbon is for sale again in the classifieds, and I'm having a really hard time finding any results for this boat. It seems as if people buy it, sail it for a short while, then mothball it. What's the go? Is it too technical, too fast, poorly rated, what's the deal? It looks really damn good, and I'm curious to hear the full story.

At 950kg its definitely not the lightest 7m sporty

#3 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

Yeah, well, overall weight isn't always the whole story, is it? I mean, my Elliott 770 is pretty beefy for 7.7m at around 2800 lbs, but we still manage to do pretty well. It still doesn't explain why it never seems to get raced - it's got to be fast, regardless of the 950kg, so is it misrated? too 'technical' to sail? too expensive to campaign? Really just curious - still happy with my E - but it's still a pretty intriguing boat.

#4 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:12 AM

Looks interesting. What's the backstory?

#5 206

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

Originally great older-generation NZ SB by Kevin Dibley - a great designer.

Carbon was imported by some more-or-less non-sailing American who wanted to produce some fugly pocket cruisers - just shockers (use the search function) - that he commissioned from Dibley. This didn't go anywhere - I believe there is semi-finished prototype somewhere.

IMPORTANT: every other Dibley design, including Carbon, outside of this commission are just sweet, well-rounded designs.

#6 canter38

canter38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Originally great older-generation NZ SB by Kevin Dibley - a great designer.

Carbon was imported by some more-or-less non-sailing American who wanted to produce some fugly pocket cruisers - just shockers (use the search function) - that he commissioned from Dibley. This didn't go anywhere - I believe there is semi-finished prototype somewhere.

IMPORTANT: every other Dibley design, including Carbon, outside of this commission are just sweet, well-rounded designs.

#7 canter38

canter38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

SAILED ON HER HEAPS IN NZ. BOTH WHEN NEW AND ALSO DID LAST COASTAL TRIP HERE ON HER PRIOR TO HER MOVE TO THE STATES. 120nm 40knots BREEZE 2 HANDED. SHE IS A VERY NICE BOAT TO SAIL AND REWARDS WITH GREAT PACE. NEEDS TO BE SAILED LIKE A SKIFF. IF FREIGHT RATES WERENT SO STEEP WOULD LOOK SERIOUSLY ABOUT BRINGING HRER BACK TO NZ AS SHE IS A GOOD HABOUR AND COASTAL RACE BOAT.

#8 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Carbon is a beautiful fast boat. It is worth every penny. Somebody needs to loan me the price and gas money. I promise to deliver it to you in a couple years.........

#9 Dibley

Dibley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Yacht Designer, Yachtsman, Cruiser, Racer
    Multi-sporter

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

Hi all,
Interesting history, with Carbon,
In NZ, she was launched as a fixed keel, Coastal Racing sportboat. Not around the buoy's, but Coastal. She was designed specifically for a couple on the north tip of New Zealand. She was light, with moulded in Wings and beautifully built by Craig Partridge Boatbuilders who ent on to build the Davidson 35 'Jive Talkin' along with many others.
She was then sold to an Aucklander who had some fun with her before business took over and she wwas sold on to Roger Rushton in Tauranga who raced her for a lot of years.
Then Dibley Marine got introduced to an American that wanted to revolutionise the cruising trailer sailor market so commisioned us to design the K280 which was going to be built in China. A very strict brief and we folllowed accordingly, but it all fell apart due to extremely shoddy build practices, greed and bad onsite project management.
Somehow, the first yacht was actually shipped to the USA and it was a crime she wasn't cut up and scrapped as she was so overweight badly built.
During that time the oiwner of Kiwi Boatworks bought Carbon and asked us to design a lift keel and get her road trailerable, which we did. He also commissioned us to do some preliminary work on a new version which would be called the K250. 'Carbon' is not a K250. She is a Dibley 250 (or in NZ, a Dibley 750 for being 7.5 metres long]
Anyways, when Kiwi Boatworks ceased to exist, Carbon was sold and the current owner, Scot, is only selling her as he suffered some work injury and won't get the most out of her.

Carbon is a joy to sail. Finger tipped control. Easy. She has been sailing in 45 knots up the East Coast of the Coromandel Peninsula which, if anyone knows, can be an atrocious piece of water. During that time, she was short handed, and the biggest issue was slowing her down with just the jib up.
I have seen her peak at 25 knots just before we had to douse the gennaker due to a fast approached breakwater.

Like Canter 38, if I could, I would get her back down here in a beat.
In regards to weight, always be aware when comparing, whether you are taking about lightship [empty] or racing mode [with crew etc...]
There is a vast difference., and so many deskigners push the tow weight as opposed to the racing weight as the numbers sound so much better.
With that in mind, however, this yacht is not a skiff or modern sportsboat, but she has certainly beaten a lot of the designs mentioned above, on line.

Hope that clears up a little on the history.
Let me know where she ends up, if anyone hears.
Cheers
Kevin

http://www.dibleymar.../sail/k250.html

Attached Files

#10 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Ah, really great backstory. Thanks for that.

I'm imagining a pocket sized "Cone" at this point. Go the Cone!

#11 lowcamaro

lowcamaro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

love that boat Carbon!!! if we get SMS going here that would be a great boat for the NW

#12 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:30 AM

Thanks Dibley - I appreciate the story.

#13 Teaky

Teaky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, family, renovating my house, all aspects of media and advertising.

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

Someone said cone.

#14 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

Someone said cone.

Teaky, your people need you.

#15 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

Someone said cone.

Teaky get over here

Kevin, great looking boat and extraordinarily seaworthy if she'll handle 45 knots in coastal waters. Interesting story. Can I ask the "obvious" question - how do you think she'd have fared in the Chi-Mac storm this year - main down ? bare poles ?

#16 Dibley

Dibley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
    Multi-sporter

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Someone said cone.

Teaky get over here

Kevin, great looking boat and extraordinarily seaworthy if she'll handle 45 knots in coastal waters. Interesting story. Can I ask the "obvious" question - how do you think she'd have fared in the Chi-Mac storm this year - main down ? bare poles ?

tough question as so many factors are involved..... personally, I wouldn't want to be out there in any thing smaller than a 100-footer... I did the 1993 Sydney Hobart on Swuzzlebubble9 which ended up doing a 360-degree roll, with a stop half way through for about 2 minutes... And our crew were top notch, and we would never have thought before hand it could happen. But with two southerly weather bombs combine, in the shallow Bass Straight, nothing can be guaranteed....
I would imagine the ame could be said for the Chi-Mac storm.....

#17 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:08 AM

This looks like a sweet boat.

I've always wondered what the killer SB would look like that can survive in The Gorge. Is this it?

I'm invested already. This looks cool though.

#18 lowcamaro

lowcamaro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

yep I think it is the one!

#19 Dibley

Dibley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
    Multi-sporter

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:54 AM

Sold to the Pacific Northwest of the USA
A perfect fit. A good home.

Enjoy.
Kevin

Attached Files

#20 cajunkiwi

cajunkiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Sailing,Beer,boobs,flying helos,oh yah beer

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

Dibley mate what every happened to the 26 ya did that was in Queensland
cheers

#21 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

sure would be fun to see Carbon at next year's Double Dam on the Columbia.

#22 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Yes it would!

Can you tell us what town it is headed to?

#23 Dibley

Dibley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
    Multi-sporter

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

Dibley mate what every happened to the 26 ya did that was in Queensland
cheers

Hey 'Cajunkiwi',
First of all, Go the AB's this weekened. Need all the Kiwi (expat's expecially) support out there. (Rugby World Cup for those that aren't in the know)

It's interesting when I decide to label our designs as I have been torn between metric and imperial measurements.
The USA is the only place that still uses Imperial (as far as I know) yet it is still a common way (or at least 50/50) of describing lengths of yachts, world wide.
Maybe it just sounds longer than the Metric equivalent.
The Dibley 26 (Dibley 8000 (mm) in Australia/New Zealand)is called 'Out of the Blue' and as far as I know, is still owned by Frank and Wendy Brace. I was told that her orginal boatbuilder, Shayne Young (pictured), recently did a once over on her to get her back up to new, but that was third-hand rumour. If she had this done, then I have no doubt she will be 'mint' as Shayne as a stickler for detail.

She was designed a quite a few years after our Dibley 8 'Supergroove' which did so well in the NZ Trailer Yacht Scene. 'Out of the Blue' was a real step up on 'Supergrooves' success, but she was also designed on a very detailed design brief from her owner which always makes the design process enjoyable and challenging.

Attached Files

#24 Dibley

Dibley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
    Multi-sporter

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Yes it would!

Hi 'Barnone'
I believe Bainbridge Island, Puget Sound.

There is only one thing left to do:, 'A 2011 version' :D

#25 barnone

barnone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:48 AM

Very nice. I must say I have some lust going for this boat. That price was in striking range.

I'm all for the 2011 version but am scared of what the price would be.

that last photo was the best one yet. Really shows what she looks like, and moving well in not a lot of breeze.

#26 lowcamaro

lowcamaro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

Yes it would!

Hi 'Barnone'
I believe Bainbridge Island, Puget Sound.

There is only one thing left to do:, 'A 2011 version' :D

ok Kev, what changes would you recommend in the 2011 version,

And if the mighty All Blacks play the way they did last weekend...the French are in trouble! But I have heard and sad to say seen it all before, don't forget 1999 or 2007, now is the time to right those wrongs, I think Richies boys will hit them hard and then up the antie in the second half this go around! Go the All Blacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#27 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Any subtle diferences from the 7? I still look at archived drawings for the wee beastie from time to time.
Go the All Blacks! It is tough for a Yank to understand a game that doesn't have rest periods for fatties all the time though.....

#28 lowcamaro

lowcamaro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:41 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Any subtle diferences from the 7? I still look at archived drawings for the wee beastie from time to time.
Go the All Blacks! It is tough for a Yank to understand a game that doesn't have rest periods for fatties all the time though.....

get to the K&K in Greenlake just north of Seattle for kick off and I am sure you will get an education very quickly!

#29 Dibley

Dibley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
    Multi-sporter

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:16 PM

[/quote]
ok Kev, what changes would you recommend in the 2011 version,

And if the mighty All Blacks play the way they did last weekend...the French are in trouble! But I have heard and sad to say seen it all before, don't forget 1999 or 2007, now is the time to right those wrongs, I think Richies boys will hit them hard and then up the antie in the second half this go around! Go the All Blacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Lowcamaro and Timber; The main changes would be in the aft sections and appendages. When we designed Carbon, as well as the Dibley 230 for 'Timber', we didn't have use of the VPP's and other software that have made changes and experimentations so much easier than before. We have taken a few jumps in performance since those days, without losing the all round performance that our yachts are known for.
I guess another way of describing it is that previously we relied a lot on 'gut feel'. Now we combine that 'feel' with a solid scientific foundation.
Still.... true yacht design is a combination of science and art.
I am sure BobP would concur with that one..

#30 UHMW

UHMW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

Carbon has finally made to Bainbridge Island, WA.
Looks great.
I've got some work to do to get it ready for spring.
Bottom paint, lights etc.

#31 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Any plans for Whidbey Island 2012 race week?

#32 Dawg_House

Dawg_House

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

Any plans for Whidbey Island 2012 race week?

Timber, I see that the boat just went back on the market today.
http://sailingtexas.com/201201/sdibley25101.html

#33 UHMW

UHMW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

Hello all,
We've raced Carbon in several local races and had a great time.
I wanted to buy a hot rod race boat to experience what one would be like before I got too old to race.
As the season is wearing on I'm finding myself not having as much energy as is needed to race twice a week like I have the last couple years.
I'm 61 and my work load has been the busiest it's ever been.
I have very mixed feeling about putting it up for sale.
I spent countless hours refurbishing the boat as it had been pretty neglected, at least for my taste.
You probably would not have known to look at it, but after 30 years of woodwork, boat building and refurbishing boats it needed a fair amount of attention in my mind.

I added lots of new hardware, made many repairs and feel like we have given it a full tune up.
The thing looks great and flies!

It's easy to reach and run with or faster than wind speed. But it does take at least two people that know what they are doing to sail it effectively.
Nothing new, crew is everything but not easy to get.

I'm still planning on racing it until it sells and could easily change my mind about selling it.
I've bought and sold way too many boats to count so it's not a big deal to try different ones out and move from one to another.

I just picked up a mast head s-sail for the local course where the wind tends to run dead down the course. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
I got a lot of help from local racers deciding on the size and shape. It's huge!

Over the past few months, Kevin the designer and several local racers have been a huge help with learning how to sail this beast.

Glad to talk more about Carbon...............Thanks, John

Timber, I see that the boat just went back on the market today.
http://sailingtexas....ibley25101.html
[/quote]

#34 UHMW

UHMW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

I mentioned that I had picked up an s-sail in my last post.
The wind runs dead down the course on one of the courses that we race on once a week.
We won our first Wednesday night race using it. The idea that we could sail a bit deeper proved to be successful.
Though the conditions were not the best for this boat at about 10 kts of wind.

It was especially fun to handily beat a J100. I understand that these may not be the fastest boats but it was still great fun.
It's been a huge learning experience figuring out how to sail this boat.
Trying to keep it as close to top speed to compete with other boats with the same rating, 93 PHRF, is a challenge. I made a couple of adjustments Wed night that I think made a difference.
The first one was to flatten the main out a bit more than we had been doing even in light air.
The whole issue of draft has to be experimented with. We have quite a bit of mast bend but we're not sure if it's as much as we need. So I tried taking some of the draft out and making the main into more of a blade than having a few wrinkles at the front.
Instead of the J100 slowly catching us we continued to pull away from them in the same conditions.

So after that great Wed night race I get a response from my ad to sell and my first thought was I can't sell this thing!
We'll see. Nothing like a beautiful evening on Puget Sound and a win to change your outlook.

John
Carbon

Hello all,
We've raced Carbon in several local races and had a great time.
I wanted to buy a hot rod race boat to experience what one would be like before I got too old to race.
As the season is wearing on I'm finding myself not having as much energy as is needed to race twice a week like I have the last couple years.
I'm 61 and my work load has been the busiest it's ever been.
I have very mixed feeling about putting it up for sale.
I spent countless hours refurbishing the boat as it had been pretty neglected, at least for my taste.
You probably would not have known to look at it, but after 30 years of woodwork, boat building and refurbishing boats it needed a fair amount of attention in my mind.

I added lots of new hardware, made many repairs and feel like we have given it a full tune up.
The thing looks great and flies!

It's easy to reach and run with or faster than wind speed. But it does take at least two people that know what they are doing to sail it effectively.
Nothing new, crew is everything but not easy to get.

I'm still planning on racing it until it sells and could easily change my mind about selling it.
I've bought and sold way too many boats to count so it's not a big deal to try different ones out and move from one to another.

I just picked up a mast head s-sail for the local course where the wind tends to run dead down the course. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
I got a lot of help from local racers deciding on the size and shape. It's huge!

Over the past few months, Kevin the designer and several local racers have been a huge help with learning how to sail this beast.

Glad to talk more about Carbon...............Thanks, John

#35 water rat

water rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Here it is:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3217280413.html

#36 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

I mentioned that I had picked up an s-sail in my last post.
The wind runs dead down the course on one of the courses that we race on once a week.
We won our first Wednesday night race using it. The idea that we could sail a bit deeper proved to be successful.
Though the conditions were not the best for this boat at about 10 kts of wind.

It was especially fun to handily beat a J100. I understand that these may not be the fastest boats but it was still great fun.
It's been a huge learning experience figuring out how to sail this boat.
Trying to keep it as close to top speed to compete with other boats with the same rating, 93 PHRF, is a challenge. I made a couple of adjustments Wed night that I think made a difference.

93 rating? Are you kidding?
And why are you trying to sail DDW in a sportboat?

#37 UHMW

UHMW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

"93 rating? Are you kidding me"?
Maybe you could clarify this comment?
I'm assuming you think it's eaither too low or two high.

I didn't say that we wanted to sail dead down wind, I said that on our weekly race course the wind blows dead down the course.
I wanted to sail a "bit" deeper as sailing with the a-sail makes us sail too far off the course.

If it's blowing 12-14+ then the a-sail is effective.
In Puget Sound we get a lot of evenings where it's blowing 6-10 kts.

Carbon is actually not considered a sport boat but an off shore racer.

It's strength is above 12-14 kts of wind primarily reaching with or without the a-sail.

It's weakness is running in 6-8 kts of wind or less.
Better hard to windward.

Once the wind hits 10-12 to windward it's pretty fast as long as you have four or five crew for weight.

With a boat that planes, using the s-sail, we can sail deeper by way of bringing the pole back a bit,
but we stil heat it up by sailing a bit higher. The end result is a better VMG.

#38 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

93 seems slow for that boat.
Seems like an all carbon, purpose built race boat shouldn't be J105 slow.
Then again, I don't see it listed on the PHRF roster...
http://phrf.intransp...ster 081612.xls

#39 206

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Roughly same size as Melges 24 but with infinitely less one-design development.

93 seems slow for that boat.
Seems like an all carbon, purpose built race boat shouldn't be J105 slow.
Then again, I don't see it listed on the PHRF roster...
http://phrf.intransp...ster 081612.xls

#40 UHMW

UHMW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Carbon Update:

Last year I mentioned that I was worn out and frustrated with sailing my new sport boat, as the summer wore on, I had a bit lighter work load and got some great help in learning much more about how to sail these sport boats. I had been told several times I'd have to learn how to sail all over again. Not only did that prove to be true, but as a novice racer the learning curve has been daunting!

About midsummer we had the great pleasure of getting a firsthand lesson from the local owner of Quantum sails in Seattle, Dan Kaseler. It was an incredible experience in tuning the boat, sailing tips and the athleticism needed to push her faster. Right away Dan tightened up the main all around and pointed out that it had too much draft built into it. Then he used the windward jib sheet as an in hauler making the boat point much higher. Then he instructed me how to point higher, alternating between footing and pointing.

Running, Dan ran the a-sail sheets like an NFL linebacker, elbows and arms flying in all directions. At one point I had to move back to keep from getting constantly elbowed! This was where he really demonstrated the athletics needed to fly the huge a-sail, 830 sf.  We actually tore a stanchion out of the deck there was so much strain on everything. Dan guided us down the course, he and I talking the whole way when to heat up and turn down.We had a great time and I’ve had the great pleasure of getting Dan’s assistance since that race day last year. Needless to say we abandoned the symmetrical spinnaker for good.

So what do you do when you are undecided about selling a boat? Dump more money into it!

Every time we came back in from sailing last year the jib had a new hole in it the size of your fist. So we bought a new Quantum jib and had Dan re-cut the main to flatten it out. As it is we’ll be looking for a new flat top main from him for next year.

We installed a new Selden jib furler, excellent with only a 5/8" wide foil and GX 10 spinnaker furler. That is a whole lesson in it'self!

Made several more modifications and upgrades to the boat. The traveler sucked! Lines kept getting tangled as rigging was installed wrong. I installed a windward sheeting car and re did all the rigging for it. The jaws on the car needed to be a bit higher to make it easy to run so we raised the track up about six inches. I used fiberglass reinforced plastic. Cut drain holes and made it as light as possible. While we were doing that we completely stripped the cockpit of everything and repainted it with new nonskid. It looks awesome. (Pic below.) The whole boat now has just about been refurbished.

I went into this year’s racing season feeling a bit more confident. The boat is way faster without the fist size holes in the jib and a new jib to boot! Who would have guessed? The main seems to be better. We’ve had a really fun season. I’ve had a pretty consistent crew which has helped a lot. And we keep learning more every week.

Kevin Dibley, the designer of Carbon has been a constant help in advising us. Kevin has been a wealth of information but most of all he has been so supportive of all the different things we’ve tried. Kevin continues to guide me along as we discover more nuances to getting Carbon to sail faster.

Before this season I came up with the bright idea of selling advertising on the side of the boat. (Always thinking of the business angle.) My wife said that I was crazy and that no one would ever want to do this. Within three days I’d sold out the ad space. With Kevin’s beautiful design of Carbon, it attracts a lot of attention. The boat looks fast and cool. It did help that all of the advertisers are my friends and the biggest ad is for a company who’s owner is from NZ. (Carbon was custom built in NZ.) You can see Carbon at this year’s launch and the ads here: https://www.facebook...&type=1

And ultra light air race in Port Orchard. Great folks and an awesome race group! They really made us feel at home.

http://www.flickr.co...157634163812760

(Kevin spotted that we needed to get our weight forward more.)

So that is about it for this season……. John

#41 UHMW

UHMW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

Trying to load a phote of the cockpit. No luck yet.

#42 Dibley

Dibley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
    Multi-sporter

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hey John (UHMW),
Nice plug, thank you.

Having problems downloading photos for you as well, so easier to direct people to our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook...rs/294490505335

A good photo of Carbon 2013 is up and loaded.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

#43 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

What's it rate?

#44 Dibley

Dibley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
    Multi-sporter

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

What's it rate?