• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sheetpusher

sheetpusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

what were conditions on friday? who got line honors? etc, etc.

#2 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

just home from ensenada. conditions were really good - wnw 10-22 all day. loreal would have easily been first in but they turned back with what looked like a broken (brand new) sprit. dc was first in. the cheetah 30 smoked us and i think everyone else for overall - i think. we had a nice lead on them a couple hours into the race after zero conditions, but then once the breeze came up and aft, that little fucker skated by us like we were tied to a stump, and other than the 50 footers, we were going by everything else. there was absolutely nothing we could do. as i have said a million times before, off the wind in a little breeze, and especially with a very generous random leg rating of 45, the thing is unbeatable. props to them. we finished at around 8 pm, i would think maybe 2 class, 2 overall but do not know for sure as we did not see the results posted at either hussongs or paris...

#3 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:35 AM

results here. kinda like we figured. fucking cheetah ruined my day!

#4 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,971 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:53 AM

Shouldn't all ya-all be eating drinking & tippin hoe's in Enchalada about now

Big Tri just broke a little "bit" - not a big part

She was Smokin when it happened, sailing in its own apparent breeze no other boat could feel (still cost the race)

#5 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:12 AM

that was last night. not one single sailor in paris last night up till about 2 am. i know, that's when y'all showed up....

btw, this race is in pathetic shape. 55 boats? it used to regularly draw way over 100. the mexico hysteria is a poor excuse. the reality is that swyc does a terrible job of promoting this race. out of town boats used to come every year, now they do not. we had 3 god damn boats in our class! there is no buzz, nothing new, no real sponsor involvement or co-promotion. this is how races die and this one shouldn't. it is a manageable length - 62 miles - has some challenges, yes it can be light but welcome to so cal. ensenada is a city that has cleaned up it's act to a degree and remains a fun place to hang and party. there were so many boats that turned and burned at the finish that it just makes finishing at ensenada a joke. we hung out at hussongs for a good 2-3 hours friday night and we were the only sailors there! then to paris for 3 hours and it was the same thing - no other sailors. weird and lame.

swyc should reach out to us and let us co-promote this event. with you anarchist's input, some new active sponsors and a new event feature or two, there is no reason this race couldn't be made back up to what it once was and even better.

#6 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:32 AM

that was last night. not one single sailor in paris last night up till about 2 am. i know, that's when y'all showed up....

btw, this race is in pathetic shape. 55 boats? it used to regularly draw way over 100. the mexico hysteria is a poor excuse. the reality is that swyc does a terrible job of promoting this race. out of town boats used to come every year, now they do not. we had 3 god damn boats in our class! there is no buzz, nothing new, no real sponsor involvement or co-promotion. this is how races die and this one shouldn't. it is a manageable length - 62 miles - has some challenges, yes it can be light but welcome to so cal. ensenada is a city that has cleaned up it's act to a degree and remains a fun place to hang and party. there were so many boats that turned and burned at the finish that it just makes finishing at ensenada a joke. we hung out at hussongs for a good 2-3 hours friday night and we were the only sailors there! then to paris for 3 hours and it was the same thing - no other sailors. weird and lame.

swyc should reach out to us and let us co-promote this event. with you anarchist's input, some new active sponsors and a new event feature or two, there is no reason this race couldn't be made back up to what it once was and even better.

It's not Ensenada or the actual race, I'm sure.

It's getting home, a 62 mile motor to SD and no cruising spots along the way...........and a border crossing by car that is worse than any airport security line anywhere in the World.

All add up to a long/short race

#7 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:44 AM

no doubt, davey. having crossed the border today i can testify that it is a bit of a pain. $100 cab ride to the border, then $5 to get in another van across the border took about 20 mins. then another cab to sdyc...but, there are better ways to do it, although they all involve some effort. and i guess if people don't want the hassle, then they won't go....

#8 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,971 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:02 AM

I could not believe the lack of Big Rides from up North

and only 2 FT-10m's ?????

any FT-10m has a chance to win the SD2E - so all should show up

Sailing home today or tomorrow would have been about as nice a day as you could spend on the water

if so many turned & burned how many raced in the MEX race that follows

SA could and Would make it into a Big Deal once again

Oh and what was the toll while in Paris :rolleyes:

#9 Lido Guy

Lido Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

When did the Dana Point-SD feeder race finely die? I recall it started in '92.

#10 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

Good time and really safe in Ensenada.

#11 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Custom Plastic Injection Molding
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Mac Gregor 65' Lean Machine
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

The Lil Ensenada Race has a much better record for pressure than the N2E in my experience. The people of Ensenada have been very hospitable and tolerant of a bunch of drunken sailors antics. I'm really bummed we could not make it this year. But, it was a fun weekend out on the water for the Doheny Series.

#12 Bill Gibbs

Bill Gibbs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:48 AM

loreal would have easily been first in but they turned back with what looked like a broken (brand new) sprit.

They didn't break the new pole. The bobstay pulled out of the main hull leaving a nasty hole,actually a chunk out of the bow.

#13 nemesis

nemesis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

Consider yourself reached out to (not around mind you). I've always thought it'd be a fun followup to the Sportboat regatta with both races counting for an overall trophy. Ensenada really rolls out the red carpet for us and the more interest we can get in the event, the better. It really can be a great race!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users