• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ctownj30

ctownj30

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

We have an older Melges 24 with old, smooth, battered nonskid surfaces. As smooth as the nonskid has become, we actually do not have too much of a problem with sliding around but want to restore the look of the decks, and maybe get some more grip while we are at it.

I've been researching the various options, but hoping for some "this is what I did" type recommendations.

Some details:

• Would like the cockpit sole to be more agressive than the decks, but don't want anything that tears up foulies or bare feet too much
  • Want something we can apply right over old nonskid (after rough sanding to smooth things out)
  • Have read a lot of good about KiwiGrip, but not sure the marbled look is really what we are going for (also looks a bit too aggressive)
  • Not entirely sure what the current paint is, but assume it is just the factory nonskid
  • Have looked at the adhesive nonskid options, but prefer something more permanent

Any suggestions? Most of the threads I've found seem to be centered on bigger boats with more aggressive nonskid requirements.

-djn

#2 surf nazi

surf nazi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

We have an older Melges 24 with old, smooth, battered nonskid surfaces. As smooth as the nonskid has become, we actually do not have too much of a problem with sliding around but want to restore the look of the decks, and maybe get some more grip while we are at it.

I've been researching the various options, but hoping for some "this is what I did" type recommendations.

Some details:

• Would like the cockpit sole to be more agressive than the decks, but don't want anything that tears up foulies or bare feet too much
  • Want something we can apply right over old nonskid (after rough sanding to smooth things out)
  • Have read a lot of good about KiwiGrip, but not sure the marbled look is really what we are going for (also looks a bit too aggressive)
  • Not entirely sure what the current paint is, but assume it is just the factory nonskid
  • Have looked at the adhesive nonskid options, but prefer something more permanent

Any suggestions? Most of the threads I've found seem to be centered on bigger boats with more aggressive nonskid requirements.

-djn

As far as your cockpit sole requirements (e.g. nonskid that doesn't tear up bare feet and foulies ), you should try Hydroturf. It is a soft non-skid that comes in sheets. If you do a search you'll see a lot of discussion about it and everyone who has ever used has been very happy. you want to get the molded diamond pattern with the 3M peel and stick backing. This stuff is unbelievable. I stumbled upon it a few years ago looking for non-skid for my finn with the same requirements as you. It doesn't absorb water, doesn't weigh much, is easy to apply, inexpensive, great grip yet soft and cushy on bare feet.

I've ended up putting it on a lot of different boats (including fishing boats) and love the product. Just google hydroturf and get more info from them. they are very nice and helpful folks. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

#3 The Owner

The Owner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

+1 on Hydroturf. Have been using it on my boat for the last 4 seasons. www.hydroturf.com. It would be great for a Melges

#4 ctownj30

ctownj30

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

I could see using HydroTurf in the cockpit sole; helped someone install this recently and it looked pretty good except it was hard to get good clean cut shapes. Are you guys cutting it yourself?

But would still want to paint the rest of the deck nonskid areas (half for more grip, half just to make the boat look better). Would love to know what others have done here.

#5 surf nazi

surf nazi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

I could see using HydroTurf in the cockpit sole; helped someone install this recently and it looked pretty good except it was hard to get good clean cut shapes. Are you guys cutting it yourself?

But would still want to paint the rest of the deck nonskid areas (half for more grip, half just to make the boat look better). Would love to know what others have done here.

Yes, I've always cut it myself and have had no problems as it cuts pretty easily. I use a sharp pair of big scissors but some people like a razor knife. Sometimes it can help to use a pattern cut out of thick paper or carboard ( I use the box that it comes in ), then mark it on the Hydroturf then cut it out. Also when you're putting it in place you want to press it in the middle then work your way out but don't push the material out, just down. It will stretch so you want to be careful but it's really easy. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.

As to your other question, I don't know.

#6 The Owner

The Owner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Yeah I cut my own. Pretty simple. Some places I use scissors, other places razor knife. I like the stuff so much I put some the back seat of my car where my kids feet hit the backs of the front seats. I've used it as well on companionway steps, small triangle at the bow/headstay where the bowmans feet go.

As for the deck maybe Kiwi Grip or something similar or even something low cost like Interlux Interdeck

#7 epoxymoron

epoxymoron

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Racing sailboats, skiing, music, tattoos.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

If you follow the link below you can read an article of how I created a non-skid on my Pearson Flyer using Awlgrip paint and 406 silica. This technique allows you to create a non-skid surface customized for your boat and use.

http://www.epoxywork...20/index20.html

#8 Rented Mule

Rented Mule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

As aggressive as the Kiwigrip appears, it's not bad. I had some reservations about it after I finished up my Viper 830. It's not a hard paint, so it has a little give. I just finished my first distance race (150 NM) after applying the Kiwigrip and I'm very pleased with the result. It didn't tear up any shorts or knees. I have Hydroturf on the cockpit sole and Kiwigrip everywhere else. Great combination.

#9 bsainsbury

bsainsbury

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Sail boating

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

Call Dan K, Seattle's Quantum loft, has an excellent non-skid that is made just for this purpose. All pieces are pre-cut, just need to apply it.

#10 Jim Conlin

Jim Conlin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:Function and elegance

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:56 AM

I've had good results with Awlgrip and Awlgrip Griptex (coarse).
Shake it liberally (not a political statement) into a wet coat of paint.
When dry, vacuum off what didn't stick.
Overcoat with another thin (MEK) coat of paint.

#11 airacer

airacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

Looking for the same info for paint on/gelcoat non-skid for the top decks. Already have hydroturf in the cockpit...excellent stuff!

#12 GnD

GnD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:sailing, Skiing, biking, boating,

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Call Dan K, Seattle's Quantum loft, has an excellent non-skid that is made just for this purpose. All pieces are pre-cut, just need to apply it.

Dan has two foam cut outs. they look great.

#13 Dervish

Dervish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Melges 24 USA114. Formerly Viper 640 50, Sonar 520

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:34 AM

+1 on Hydroturf. Have been using it on my boat for the last 4 seasons. www.hydroturf.com. It would be great for a Melges

Looking at their website the pieces are 40" x 62" for $99 with PSA.

How many such pieces are required for the cockpit of a Melges 24? The least expensive pre-cut kit I've seen is $599 (Soft Deck) so even with three pieces that's 1/2.

#14 TsubG

TsubG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:sailing and snowboarding

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

Check out Durabak.  www.durabakcompany.com/marine

It is a single part polyurethane "paint" kind of like truck bed liner.  Prep is easy, just clean/sand the surface (to promote adhesion) then roll on two coats.  You can adjust the texture with rolling technique and temperature.  Touch up and over-coating are super easy too.

I used it on my J/24 decks with good results a few years ago.  The texture was a little rough for some crew but I liked it.  If I had it to do over again I would put in a bit less texture to silence the haters.

I hear good things about KiwiGrip too but have not personally tried it.

#15 cyclone

cyclone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

I used the Raptor product for non-skid and cut it with an angled foam board cutter which produced

a clean beveled edge. Cuts better from the backing paper side.

JT

IMG_1388.JPG

57444-1500-1-3ww-l.jpg

#16 Dervish

Dervish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Melges 24 USA114. Formerly Viper 640 50, Sonar 520

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Cyclone, thanks for that suggestion!

Goo Gone worked a lot better than Acetone to remove the old adhesive, but I wiped the decks with acetone for cleaning. Bought three sheets of sticky back Hydroturf for a Melges 24. I used sheets of paper from a flip chart to make patterns, and a steel yardstick to connect the dots. I used a serrated tracing wheel to transfer the patterns to the back of the material, then used the Logan cutter to bevel the edges. The stuff cuts easily. It was probably 6-8 hours in total for patterning, cutting and placement. If I did it again it would probably take 4. 

FYI: if you don't step on the material, you can pull it off again and re-place it. Once you walk on it, it's difficult or impossible.

i-j7n8vRN-L.jpg

#17 sailorman44

sailorman44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:10 AM

Use Awlgrip paint, add a mix of cabosil and microspheres, more cabosil for a harder finish. Consistency of heavy cream to sour cream, thicker gets a more agressive non skid. Roll on with a contact cement roller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users