• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#1 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

I've heard of something called "better judgement" but apparently I have none. So I'm in. Starts on the 4th, ends in a flameout of divorce, years of therapy, and ruin. Add rum and stir!

Anyone else in this time around? Naughty Lass making a reappearance?

Volvo Ocean Race Game (click here)

#2 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

I am in..."HikeBitches" this year.

I have no access at work anymore, so I'll be cruising along on autopilot most of the time. B)

I am out of the loop though...when the hell does it start? :unsure:

#3 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:37 AM

O.K. whats the deal with this, never done it before. Can you actually sail just by "visiting" your boat every evening? Is it free? (hey, I'm dutch) and how much control do you have over the boat, Do you just set a course or can you fully drive and set sails?

#4 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

Get thee behind me. Nope. Not. Ever. Again.

#5 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

I'm with Ish, although I was sorely tempted. Too busy at the moment to check in 5 times a day, running routing programs, worrying all day about a windshift, etc. That said I enjoyed the last one heaps, just had more time on my hands.

#6 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

O.K. whats the deal with this, never done it before. Can you actually sail just by "visiting" your boat every evening? Is it free? (hey, I'm dutch) and how much control do you have over the boat, Do you just set a course or can you fully drive and set sails?

Basic (free) entry gives you control over aiming the boat and picking some sails. After that it is $$ add-on for waypoints, auto sail selection, etc. I'm curious about the pricing on that, haven't seen any clues yet. I'm not up for spending much, but $25 to get the basics would be acceptable, that is about what it was last time I think.

#7 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

Basic (free) entry gives you control over aiming the boat and picking some sails. After that it is $$ add-on for waypoints, auto sail selection, etc. I'm curious about the pricing on that, haven't seen any clues yet. I'm not up for spending much, but $25 to get the basics would be acceptable, that is about what it was last time I think.

Yea, I'm onto it now, and doing the pre-race. I can see this being far to addictive.

#8 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Basic (free) entry gives you control over aiming the boat and picking some sails. After that it is $ add-on for waypoints, auto sail selection, etc. I'm curious about the pricing on that, haven't seen any clues yet. I'm not up for spending much, but $25 to get the basics would be acceptable, that is about what it was last time I think.

Yea, I'm onto it now, and doing the pre-race. I can see this being far to addictive.

How do you feel about 4am course changes?:rolleyes:

#9 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Basic (free) entry gives you control over aiming the boat and picking some sails. After that it is $ add-on for waypoints, auto sail selection, etc. I'm curious about the pricing on that, haven't seen any clues yet. I'm not up for spending much, but $25 to get the basics would be acceptable, that is about what it was last time I think.

Way points :D

I'm going to try and not take it "4am" serious.

#10 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:26 PM

You can try all you like! B)

#11 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

Wanna taste....click in the streaming video for the 1st In Port Race...great camera work!!

http://www.volvoocea...n/schedule.html

#12 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

I've noticed that the chart is just flat, Does the game take into account the great and small circle routes and what is the easiest way to work them out?

#13 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

Way points :D

I'm going to try and not take it "4am" serious.

I'm liking the availability of way points. The only 4AM moments I had were when I was trying to round a corner and had to guess when the turn would be required. Waypoints _should_ let me sleep at night without thinking about that. But if that fails my wife will kick me out to the guest room...;)

#14 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

The last time I got involved in this game about a week in I decided to switch to meth...it was less additive.

Posted Image

#15 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

You know you want to play Gate! Besides - you are retired, and there is probably already snow up past the adjustment pads on your boat cradle...

From the web site:
...make sure you get some rest for the real action, starting November 5, 14H00 CET

#16 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:43 AM

ooops...I guess I missed Gate #1. :rolleyes:

I've noticed that the chart is just flat, Does the game take into account the great and small circle routes and what is the easiest way to work them out?

FD, Apparently it does...there are some other websites which track things more 'closely' than the game did in the last iteration. I'd go check out the Volvo Game threads elsewhere in SA if you are that interested in it...your questions will be answered...I recall last time around, I was running the VORGame and another entire program which was pulling my data and giving me feedback about how I was doing in the real game.

I am not into it that much this time. I am with sculpin. Mrs. Bitches didn't like the alarm going off at 4:55 AM on a Saturday. I have too many other things going on this time around. <_<

#17 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:20 AM

FD, Apparently it does...there are some other websites which track things more 'closely' than the game did in the last iteration. I'd go check out the Volvo Game threads elsewhere in SA if you are that interested in it...your questions will be answered...I recall last time around, I was running the VORGame and another entire program which was pulling my data and giving me feedback about how I was doing in the real game.

I am not into it that much this time. I am with sculpin. Mrs. Bitches didn't like the alarm going off at 4:55 AM on a Saturday. I have too many other things going on this time around. <_<

I had a 2 AM course change, it fucked me up for months.

#18 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Cheers, I was hoping it did, this is a little thing that the game players will (hopefully) miss and the sailors pick up on.

BTW Wake Up!! your about to hit the hard stuff :(

And I don't think you missed gate one.

#19 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

I've heard of something called "better judgement" but apparently I have none. So I'm in. Starts on the 4th, ends in a flameout of divorce, years of therapy, and ruin. Add rum and stir!

Anyone else in this time around? Naughty Lass making a reappearance?

Volvo Ocean Race Game (click here)

Aaaargh. Avast matie. The Naughty One has retired from racing the seven seas. She is an older lass now (& wiser) and the 2 am wake ups, are brutal on her. The fellows on the east coast had it easy with 6 am and 6 pm wind updates.:P

I've heard of a number of issues and complaints about the new programmers for the game. Hope things go well for those of you who are playing

I really enjoyed the previous virtual races and learned a ton about weather routing, grib etc.... I was able to apply some of the stuff I learned in the game, to my offshore sailing trips the past few years.

I will be following the real race and am pulling for Puma. :wub:

#20 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:56 AM

Boom Boom...if you are not racing....uh..Ok..well I still am!

Fd, yeah..I did...I sailed way past the island in the middle..then I threaded the needle back thru it and then hit the hard because I forgot to turn my boat and point it back at the gate from the correct side.:rolleyes: Then, they cut me off. :angry: :angry:

#21 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

Fd, yeah..I did...I sailed way past the island in the middle..then I threaded the needle back thru it and then hit the hard because I forgot to turn my boat and point it back at the gate from the correct side.:rolleyes: Then, they cut me off. :angry: :angry:

Young Bitches .... please tell me you aren't still sneaking your PC into bed at night, to wake up & to do course changes :P. Good luck in the game, my friend.

Give your very Lovely L, a hug from me. Getting to know her virtually (via fb) has been a wonderful kickback from our VOR races a couple years ago. B)

#22 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Last time was fun. Lots of laughs, good company and some good racing. Khunjar is once again entered but I am not sure how much time I can/will devote to it this time.

#23 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

Due to the confusion on how the game works, how your credits work (or don't) a few of the people in the SA VOR thread are thinking about playing this version instead:

http://sailonline.org/

Seems on the outside to be better, I still don't know if you have to pay or how well it works.

Personally I don't care But I'd rather race against people who post here (better banter value).

What do you think?

Hike: I did try to warn you, Seems that even the BIG letters didn't wake you up. :huh:

#24 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

I will start both but as soon as it becomes taxing I am going to ditch the volvo version and just play sailonline.

theadvocate on both.

#25 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

No way. This game took over my life and almost ruined my marriage and career last time.
I'll sail vicariously through Chuck D. He's better at it anyhow.

Get the grib files!

#26 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

Changed my mind, only doing sailonline.

Even going to join up and shell out the $35 cause my decision isn't based on the pay for play, but rather how it has been done.

#27 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

Starting both but will only finish one.

Thinking about the "4am course change" thing, I might accualy get brownie points with Mrs Dutchman if I get up in the middle of the night to give moral support when the baby needs feeding.

This could be the unfair advantage I need. :D

#28 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:52 AM

Fd, yeah..I did...I sailed way past the island in the middle..then I threaded the needle back thru it and then hit the hard because I forgot to turn my boat and point it back at the gate from the correct side. Then, they cut me off. :angry:

Young Bitches .... please tell me you aren't still sneaking your PC into bed at night, to wake up & to do course changes :P. Good luck in the game, my friend.

Give your very Lovely L, a hug from me. Getting to know her virtually (via fb) has been a wonderful kickback from our VOR races a couple years ago. B)

hi boom boom :wub: - Mrs. Bitches says "right back at ya!" B)

11h 13m to go!

#29 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:20 AM

Starting both but will only finish one.

Thinking about the "4am course change" thing, I might accualy get brownie points with Mrs Dutchman if I get up in the middle of the night to give moral support when the baby needs feeding.

This could be the unfair advantage I need. :D

Yes, you will already be sleep deprived, may as well do something entertaining with it! When mine was that age (he is 6 now) all I could find is late night TV, which is very bad.

#30 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:12 AM

no

but I might buy a shirt

#31 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Game on!!!

#32 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,729 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

No way. This game took over my life and almost ruined my marriage and career last time.
I'll sail vicariously through Chuck D. He's better at it anyhow.

Get the grib files!

Cheers. FunkMonkey is in it again. Swore I wouldn't, but there I am.

#33 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:44 AM

I am not buying sails this time around. So far, it does not seem to have made any difference anyway! :P

"HikeBitches" currently about position 29xxx. It seems I am stuck on the African Coast with Groupama... :unsure:

#34 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:08 AM

I am not buying sails this time around. So far, it does not seem to have made any difference anyway! :P

"HikeBitches" currently about position 29xxx. It seems I am stuck on the African Coast with Groupama... :unsure:

Seems you have overtaken me. If anyone wants an offshore naviguesser, Don't ask me, 1/2 of the fleet has sailed right past my poor decisions and refusal to get up in the middle of the night or skive off work to make course adjustments.

#35 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:09 AM

FD, me neither. I check it when I can, and don't get up early for it. I can 'cheat' a little bit as I can use the Android app on my phone...but I still don't get up at 0500 local when the wind shifts.

#36 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

FD, me neither. I check it when I can, and don't get up early for it. I can 'cheat' a little bit as I can use the Android app on my phone...but I still don't get up at 0500 local when the wind shifts.

I didn't look at it this morning before I went to work, Just got home and looked, 0.03 knts and another 900 places down.
I relly suck at this game!

#37 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

I didn't look at it this morning before I went to work, Just got home and looked, 0.03 knts and another 900 places down.
I relly suck at this game!

At one time I was either first or second for a while in one of the games and it consumed me. Really bummed me out when I finished way off the pace. I put my life back together and now I'm the leader of one of the major countries in the Eurozone. Go figure.

#38 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:10 AM

Ish, you have got to teach me how you do that, and love bacon all at the same time. :blink:

25xxx right now, with just a jibby & medium spin at my disposal. Not too bad...getting too close to Africa though..gonna need to jibe for the gate off Brazil soon I think.

Attached Files

#39 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:28 AM

Ish, you have got to teach me how you do that, and love bacon all at the same time. :blink:

25xxx right now, with just a jibby & medium spin at my disposal. Not too bad...getting too close to Africa though..gonna need to jibe for the gate off Brazil soon I think.

It is a Canadian thing. I'm not so good as Ishmael though, best I've managed in this race has been 90th about 6 hours in on the first day... then my wife opened a bottle of wine and that was it for me, I'm currently running about 7000th and the best I can hope for is to be mayor of a small town...

Luckily I showed my wife the VOR screen when I was 90th, I haven't let her see how I'm doing since then...

#40 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:31 AM

sculpin, I am guessing because it is already winter up there and all you can hope for is the steady supply of alcoholic beverages until spring & hope the power stays on for the computer to work.

I just finally put some pink stuff in the water tank & head yesterday since it might get below freezing here on Thursday night... :rolleyes:

BTW - Happy belated Nigel day on 11/11/11 B)

#41 tdwombat

tdwombat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and Nonsense !

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:35 AM

Good luck to you all, you poor deluded fools. :lol: Wish I could I really do but even for an obsessive compulsive like me that last one was over the top. Anywho, I hope to be on the boat much of December and all of January so it ain't gonna happen.

#42 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

sculpin, I am guessing because it is already winter up there and all you can hope for is the steady supply of alcoholic beverages until spring & hope the power stays on for the computer to work.

I just finally put some pink stuff in the water tank & head yesterday since it might get below freezing here on Thursday night... :rolleyes:

BTW - Happy belated Nigel day on 11/11/11 B)

Well, the boat did get hauled two weeks ago...

But no, now it is the season of projects. Tonight was splicing, then I have an idea for a better cockpit table that I will be working on... and I see I've slid north of 8000 in the standings... d'Oh!!!

#43 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

I still gotta get the Toss splicing wand..I have the genoa sheets here in the garage...

#44 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:23 AM

Go the Funk!

#45 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

I still gotta get the Toss splicing wand..I have the genoa sheets here in the garage...

I'm just using a set of the old school Sampson fids, works fine for me. I'm finding the reeving splice more of a pain in the butt than a regular eye, I can whip the eye splices off pretty quick now. new jib and spin halyard, and topping lift...

Go the Funk!

Can you narrow that down a bit? There are about 20 boatnames with "funk" in them in the VOR game...

#46 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

funkmonkey, aka ChuckD here on SA.
I'd like to know if he does naviguesser work in real life.

#47 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:56 AM

well..I didn't jibe soon enough. <_<

sculp, thanks for the tips on the fids..I think I'll go use a price match and pick up a set at WM, & ask for the toss wand for Xmas. B)

#48 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:37 AM

ugh...I might have escaped the high. I have jibed back a little early hoping to be reaching at the next wind change.

I think FD passed me up again! :)

#49 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

ugh...I might have escaped the high. I have jibed back a little early hoping to be reaching at the next wind change.

I think FD passed me up again! :)

Nope, still behind you, My tactics suck big time. I have managed to close the gap on you but I've been watching what you do and you seem to plan ahead better than me.
I'm hoping to take what I've learned to the next leg.

#50 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:27 AM

Whoops! Stupid high pressure...mighta tacked too late! <_<

P.S.> I refuse to get sucked into all the technical stuff in the other threads (again)...the only thing I've done is yesterday I finally printed out the volvooceanracegame provided optimal VMG spreadsheet, because I was tired of getting run over on the race course for no apparent reason..:rolleyes:

#51 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

Whoops! Stupid high pressure...mighta tacked too late! <_<

P.S.> I refuse to get sucked into all the technical stuff in the other threads (again)...the only thing I've done is yesterday I finally printed out the volvooceanracegame provided optimal VMG spreadsheet, because I was tired of getting run over on the race course for no apparent reason..:rolleyes:

I still reckon you tacked to early, I may be well behind you but I have the wind on the bum and more of it, We were close before we went separate ways so It'll be interesting.

My "research" involves closing one eye having a beer and thinking "that way".

#52 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Well...I went off watch at 0800 (local) this morning,and came back on watch at 1400 (local) and the other watch ran "HB1" aground! :angry:

#53 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

Ok...who the hell put a fuckign seawall off the coast of Africa!

So I actually grounded three times getting 'round that thing! <_<

Attached Files

#54 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Keep it up hike keep it up, If you keep doing stuff like that I might actually catch you. :)

#55 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

I let it sit for several hours like that. :)

#56 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

I let it sit for several hours like that. :)

are you doing leg two? I don't seem to be able to search for you.

#57 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:17 AM

dammit..yes, FD, of course I am ..I just checked in..i forgot this leg had started..i was getting up close and personal yesterday with some canadian maple flooring Mrs. Bitches brought home for me to install. :rolleyes:

"HikeBitchesI" now under way! My rank is currently 62042. <_<

On the bright side, as least I have something to do at work again when using my Android app while 'taking a break'. B)

#58 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

Well my crew decided to spend the day on the beach collecting piza and beer, and my score is 77162 (higher than yours He he) :(

#59 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

I broke down and joined leg 2. I won't be checking in much but Corny is on the course.

#60 stanlutz

stanlutz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

I'm in and I can see this become all encompassing. Anyone have any polars/vmg angles for the boats or sails? Local weather forecasts? I am presently at 23xxx. This is gonna be good!

#61 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:18 AM

stanlutz...there are polars on the VOR Game website...I printed them out...the short version is with stock sails (jib & med spin) = 47 in the light to about 42 TWA upwind and about 140 in the light to about 150 TWA @ 20- knots downwind....I'll see if I can find the link.

here's my question...when the hell do the winds change? GMT would be fine because I can convert. I set myself up this morning only to find at my lunch break check-in that I lost several thousand boats and moving at 0.03 knots with the kite all backwinded into the fucking rig.. WTF? :blink:

#62 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:23 AM

Wind change (assuming I'm not on crack, let me check...) should be at 1:00 your time (EST).

#63 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

sculp..thanks..

stanlutz..I cannot find that link to the polars...it is over in the regular SA VORG thread somewhere, and I am too lazy to look...sorry...I printed it out about halfway thru the first leg..honestly, I dunno if it helped me much. 42-45 upwind and 140-150 downwind seems to be about right. I am too cheap to buy sails this time around, so that is where I keep my boat just about all the time with the jib & medium spin...although I noticed the CZ is sponsored by DHL this leg...I used that bitch early on! B)

#64 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

sculp..thanks..

stanlutz..I cannot find that link to the polars...it is over in the regular SA VORG thread somewhere, and I am too lazy to look...sorry...I printed it out about halfway thru the first leg..honestly, I dunno if it helped me much. 42-45 upwind and 140-150 downwind seems to be about right. I am too cheap to buy sails this time around, so that is where I keep my boat just about all the time with the jib & medium spin...although I noticed the CZ is sponsored by DHL this leg...I used that bitch early on! B)

Just found those optimal headings today, hadn't thought to read the wiki...

Anyway, Stanlutz, to get to them: click the question mark up near the top and select wiki, in the wiki look for the category: sails.

#65 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

OK, here is a question - the table of TWA vs wind speed, is speed in knots or km/hr??? I'm guessing knots but am not 100% at this time...

#66 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:07 AM

I think it is knots. I also have my display in the game in TWA & knots too..why the fuck would they make it any other way? (i know...bunch of damn europeans..) :rolleyes:

#67 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hike: STARBOARD!

#68 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:07 AM

yeah yeah yeah..i shoulda tacked...I was sleeping!!!

I went from 25xxx to 65xxx within hours. :rolleyes:

I've worked back to 50484 during my daylight hours. Now that it is sleepy time again, I am sure that will change too.

#69 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:02 AM

Oh well, Lost about 30000 places today, Went to do a course change before work but the game was all fucked up and I couldn't change anything. :(

#70 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:16 AM

FD, up & down...up & down. I made up some ground and then took a nap and woke up -20,000. I refuse to get up at 0100 local time when the wind changes to adjust my boat. I have enough trouble remembering to check in on it at 1300 when I am awake!

It is a voyage of attrition. Those who remember to check in occasionally will eventually be on top of the leaderboard...or something. :rolleyes:

Back to beating right now..that is always slow..and cumbersome...I even used one of my five free candy bars today! :unsure:

#71 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:43 AM

FD, up & down...up & down. I made up some ground and then took a nap and woke up -20,000. I refuse to get up at 0100 local time when the wind changes to adjust my boat. I have enough trouble remembering to check in on it at 1300 when I am awake!

It is a voyage of attrition. Those who remember to check in occasionally will eventually be on top of the leaderboard...or something. :rolleyes:

Back to beating right now..that is always slow..and cumbersome...I even used one of my five free candy bars today! :unsure:

Is that a real candy bar or a virtual one? If I had five candy bars they would last me about one course change.

#72 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

Is that a real candy bar or a virtual one? If I had five candy bars they would last me about one course change.

Real candy bars? I'm working on a ratio of five real beers to one virtual candy bar, Theory being after five beers I don't care about the game enough to buy one candy bar.

#73 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

FD, you and I are on the same page. B)

Got stuck too close to Madagascar...back I slide in the rankings...:rolleyes:

#74 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:35 AM

I stayed south, made my turn yesterday and it has paid off. Not that I'm claiming to be good at this, it was mostly luck...

#75 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

Cruising Anarchy group created! 'tho since the game maintenance I am having a hard time getting the wind prediction to work. :angry:

#76 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

OK...sweet...whomever sent the invite thanks..I am in. I think...or i will be..or something. :unsure:

#77 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

Stanlutz and FD, I'm not aware of your boat names so can't invite you to the Cruising Anarchy group, let me know or select it and request joining if you wish...

#78 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:09 AM

Stanlutz and FD, I'm not aware of your boat names so can't invite you to the Cruising Anarchy group, let me know or select it and request joining if you wish...

My boat name is... wait for it... floatingdutchman. Took me ages to think of it.

#79 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

My boat name is... wait for it... floatingdutchman. Took me ages to think of it.

Jesus man, I'm swamped trying to figure out what to get my "I don't need anything" wife for Christmas! No way would I be able to reason that one out!!! :P

#80 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:19 AM

OK, so the Cruising Anarchy group now has 8 members... of which I do not recognise three. Who the heck are:

FourSirensSong

PIRATAGUAYO

PartingtonMarine

????

#81 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

Jesus man, I'm swamped trying to figure out what to get my "I don't need anything" wife for Christmas! No way would I be able to reason that one out!!! :P

My gift to Mrs Dutchman: Hair dresser voucher.
Mrs Dutchman"s gift to me: I don't have to do the Xmas shopping.

Works for me. :D

#82 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

sculp, dunno...all I know is I am breathing down FD's neck! :unsure:

#83 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

sculp, dunno...all I know is I am breathing down FD's neck! :unsure:

Yea well seems to be my Xmas presant to you is me sailing into a friggen hole, You would have passed me by morning.

#84 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:42 AM

OK, so I turfed out of the Cruising Anarchy group the names I did not immediately recognize. If I have turfed you out and should not have, please accept my apology, let me know here, and submit a request to join. I try to only make mistakes once...

#85 DC_US55

DC_US55

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for setting that up...USA88 is sailing corintian this leg.

#86 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

DC - how do we add you to our watch/friends list? A scan of USA88 returns no results...:unsure:

#87 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

I see this thread pop up now and then, and suddenly the Naughty Lass yearns to be battling it out amongst you all again.

Then sanity returns.

I had not seen this -> FANTASTIC VOR clip for a while. It's a fave of mine and thought it might get those racing juices flowing. B)

#88 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:07 AM

NL...c'mon...do it! You don't have to get up at the wind changes....just sail the boat when it suits you...

HikeBitchesI currently in 20xxx with stock sails!!! Mrs. HB was asking me just yesterday if you were participating!! B)

#89 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

DC - how do we add you to our watch/friends list? A scan of USA88 returns no results...:unsure:

He's in there, and in the group now.

#90 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

thanks sculp..i'll try to figure it out..not to jinx you, but doing quite well...keep up the good work!

#91 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

NL...c'mon...do it! You don't have to get up at the wind changes....just sail the boat...

HikeBitchesI currently in 20xxx with stock sails!!! Mrs. HB was asking me just yesterday if you were participating!! B)

Bring back the lass!!!

I've got a nasty bit ahead, but I will resist the urge to get up at wind change (2am my time). And I will sleep in tomorrow morning, damn it!!!

Seriously though BB, for you the wind changes should be at 10:00 & 22:00 - both fairly reasonable times, although my brother in Vancouver is still getting his ass handed to him... heh heh heh...

#92 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

NL...c'mon...do it! You don't have to get up at the wind changes....just sail the boat when it suits you...

xx to you both, HB

Hi ya sculpin : )

#93 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:45 AM

xx to you both, HB

:wub: - more from Mrs. HB than me...but I'll sneak in a double :wub: :wub: when she isn't looking! B)

#94 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

NL...c'mon...do it! You don't have to get up at the wind changes....just sail the boat...

Bring back the lass!!!

I've got a nasty bit ahead, but I will resist the urge to get up at wind change (2am my time). And I will sleep in tomorrow morning, damn it!!!

Seriously though BB, for you the wind changes should be at 10:00 & 22:00 - both fairly reasonable times, although my brother in Vancouver is still getting his ass handed to him... heh heh heh...

Well, sleeping in cost me a few miles as the autopilot headed me back a bit. No biggie, and I was in bed 'til 7:30 (which counts as sleeping in when you have a 7 year old). I'm making up a few spots now! And the end of the leg is in sight.

#95 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

well...that last wind change (1300 local) didn't do me any favors! (-2000) :rolleyes:

At least I had a good excuse of helping Papa Punch get "Rhumb Punch" ready for Key West Race Week! :D

#96 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

Whoo-ah! 3026th!

#97 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

nice work sculp. I am in between the two Ugly Tuna's right now. sailman is nipping on my transom!

#98 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

Update....I am in. I finished in between team "Ugly Tuna" (I & II) I think. :unsure:

Picked up several thousand places in the last 24 hours. That's a lot easier when I am not sailing upwind with the jib in 3.5knots of wind. :rolleyes:

#99 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

Update....I am in. I finished in between team "Ugly Tuna" (I & II) I think. :unsure:

Picked up several thousand places in the last 24 hours. That's a lot easier when I am not sailing upwind with the jib in 3.5knots of wind. :rolleyes:

Excellent work, it was a slog through the last bit. My brother is still working on it, for which he will be seriously mocked. And then mocked again!

#100 smackdaddy

smackdaddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

I started the game half-way through leg 2. I'm currently holding the esteemed position of 58,713 at a dizzying speed of 6.35 knots with 412 miles to go. That means 102K racers can EMW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users