2011 Rolex Sydney to Hobart

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1246 replies to this topic

#1201 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

Are they compulsory on board?

By the way HNY js

Had a quick browse of the Safety regs - on the race website. Didn't see it mentioned. Way back when it was required (with almanac & tables) there was no requirement to have somebody onboard that knew how to use it.

HNY to you also.

#1202 judge

judge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Are they compulsory on board?

By the way HNY js

When I did my first S2H back in the early '70's they were still part of the kit. Believe they were until the late '80's.

Almost every one just used dead reckoning, but you could tell who the wankers were because when giving their lat/long on a sked they would add the word "Observed". :blink:

I seem to recall one dill was so keen to tell us he was using 19th century techniques that he put himself about 60 miles inland of Eden :lol: What a tool.

#1203 dbo

dbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

Good time to change the topic a bit!

Interesting comment attributed to Rob Date of Scarlet Runner."We started off very well up until the time the sun went down on the first night, but we had a problem where we lost all our instruments, so we had to sail like blokes used to about 50 years ago with dead reckoning and a sextant!" said Date, adding that because of this they had lost around 15-20 miles on the competition and this they were unable to regain.

The Code 1 Equipment list includes a handheld GPS and spare batteries!

I guess we should be thankful that they didn't set off their epirb this time when they lost electrics.

Very hard to believe the sextant story. I'd say it's just an owner trying to come up with an excuse for his boat not keeping up with the TP52s.

#1204 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:49 PM

Fuck me, its Friday.....better check on the wife and kids!
That was just too good, I feel like I have had my cake, ate it, and continued till I resembled Mr Creosote (google it).

And it would not have been any near as enjoyable if it wasn't for the coverage by fellow SA'ers.
This was honestly first rate gals/guys, without much ado you all brought a real sense of being there, admittedly helped by one of the closest finishes we've ever had (3rd closest result?)
When WO and IL were jybe duelling I was hopping up and down like a alley cat, you could just feel:

• The tension and concentration on board both boats.
  • the frustration from WO as she threw the kitchen sink, the baby, the bathwater at trying to gain just that one little edge.
  • The elation from IL crew when they crossed the line, having prevented that one little edge from occuring.
If there was justification needed for SA's existence, this thread is it.

Now how do we adress the 1 blight of the S2H, ie: to get decent coverage, even if only the finish? I am thinking mainly of our OS chums here, but you could also argue us locals could do with it too!
Congrats to Loyal, what a race.
SB

Surely then there must be two blights, the other one being the absence of multihulls.

That's a blessing - troll. Take your bullshit elswhere - you are only shitstirring.

http://www.dailytele...0490dd96be47b96

Sean Langman to chase Sydney to Hobart speed record on his trimaran

Amanda Lulham
The Sunday Telegraph
January 01, 201212:00AM

Langman, averaging below five knots in this year's Sydney to Hobart as he edged towards the finish line yesterday on Maluka, hopes to smash the Mari Cha III's time on his 60-footer trimaran when the right weather window presents itself early this year.

"It's time to start the next adventure," Langman said from sea yesterday before making it into Hobart.

#1205 jmsails

jmsails

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

I know I am late with this post but that was the worst tellecast of the start of the hobart I had ever seen. Was there any boats besides Wild Oats in the race. Then as the race went on it was all Wild Oats. I know channel 7 sponsor's Wild Oats but dam there were so many other boats and big international names who were lucky to get 5 seconds if they were lucky. Nothing against Wild Oats but I was glad to see them bet mainly due to the crap media coverage. I always enjoy watching hobart on boxing day and following the race, but as most of my friends have also comented if it is crap coverage as it was this year they will be switching off the tv. It is a great race that has so much more than just 1 boat in it, maybe they should get some experianced media people from other sailing races such as the america's cup to help out next year

#1206 tuf-luf

tuf-luf

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Surely then there must be two blights, the other one being the absence of multihulls.

The CYCA organising business ( sorry - club) did say , in their best Sir Humphrey voice that they were appointing a subcommittee to ascertain whether or not a paper should be prepared to inform consideration of the possibility of assessing whether or not a process should be put in place to establish criteria for deciding when it would feasible to establish a steering committee to overview a working party to determine if there was any case to be had for assessing whether the club should , in due time, at the appropriate juncture, permit consideration of allowing multihulls to be participants in some way in the race.

The key issue here is there is a shit load of money in the boats at the front end of the fleet and it would not be a good look to have "banque poplaire" coming out here and handing the mega dollar boats their posterior, and I sort of understand that.

Of course the other issue is the hypocrisy of the mono world, cant have a multi here - no way, but can allow boats to run motors for the entire trip.

Quit fucking whining and go organise a Sydney to Hobart multihull only race. "banque poplaire (Sic(twat))" wont show up, that's for shizzle.

I don't have a foot in either camp but jesus do you multi-hullers whine like a bus full of English on a rainy day.

Not whining,not trolling,trying not to shit st ,just respectfully suggesting that a class for multis be added to the next S2H. They would, trophywise,be racing against each other under an agreed multihull rating formula. Visually speaking of course the faster ones might very well finish before any of the bigger monohulls, the approximately 40 footers might equally well finish ahead of similar sized monohulls, but there is nothing new or earthshaking about that, they are just hydrodynamically faster as I think every open record shows. Get used to it. One last thing, I used to live in Lancashire, it pretty well rained every day, I don't remember people on busses complaining, they too were used to it.

Oh how nice, the multiwackfuckamaran clowns are back!

And you clowns carry on when someone visits pontoon anarchy!

Latest news,

Team Vodaphony, the attention whores of the southern hemisphere and there non self righting Mono beating raft have capsized attempting to qualify for the sidney to ho'bart! Lucky they never made it out of the harbour!!!!!

Is that a SYD36 in the background? Nice.

#1207 ALL AT SEA

ALL AT SEA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:58 AM

my inquisitive, and gradually becoming versed in sailing wench, just asked if its only the big boats that can motor for the whole race. got a smile from me. i remember when water ballast was considered controversial. fair call i think - watching that fantastic gybing dual up the river, i had to remind myself that there were power winches aiding getting those huge code-0s around. it didn't dampen the drama, or lessen the skill required, just an observation from one who hasn't followed the evolution of sailing for the best part of their live!

i concur with all those calling this the best race in years, last time i remember such excitement was in '97, watching Exile break the start - loose 2h in the process, and then stalk Brindabella all the way to the finish!

anyhow, bring on the king of the derwent tomorrow, looks like pleasant sailing weather. hope to see the derwent at her best.

cheers all, and hope 2012 brings plenty of good sailing!

Doogs.

#1208 Coot's Away

Coot's Away

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:17 AM

lots of running (the camera man) and headless images, but better than 7 managed Posted Image linky here

#1209 fwoark

fwoark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

I know I am late with this post but that was the worst tellecast of the start of the hobart I had ever seen. Was there any boats besides Wild Oats in the race. Then as the race went on it was all Wild Oats. I know channel 7 sponsor's Wild Oats but dam there were so many other boats and big international names who were lucky to get 5 seconds if they were lucky. Nothing against Wild Oats but I was glad to see them bet mainly due to the crap media coverage. I always enjoy watching hobart on boxing day and following the race, but as most of my friends have also comented if it is crap coverage as it was this year they will be switching off the tv. It is a great race that has so much more than just 1 boat in it, maybe they should get some experianced media people from other sailing races such as the america's cup to help out next year

Nothing has changed, nor will it. Our first run to Hobart in '91 was the Brindashitabella show, then NZ Endeavour in '92, and so forth. The general populas are only interested in the biggest, fastest, and most expensive boats. The rest of the fleet are only white noise. At least these days its possible to get positioning updates online.

#1210 BooBoo

BooBoo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Have you compared vintage of the HK TPs versus the others? Ffreefire was the first TP built and Strewth (ex-Trader) was not that long after.

I was also surprised that Ichi Ban was so far back.

To be fair to the Asian TPs, they get pwned against a lot of boats on the Asia circuit too! There is comparatively fuck all S2H experience on either and I would be surprised if either of them had any particular eyes on the podium. I say kudos to both for sending the boats that far south (wonder if both will be put up for sale down there though) and adding a bit of extra colour to the international feel of the 88-strong fleet.

Not true at all Terror. Strewth had 100+ Syd/Hobs between their crew...and FreeFire only 2.

EDIT: Strewth - 139 SYD/HOBs. That's a fuck load of experience.

Zoiks- I thought I read that FF was 2 (BooBoo being one of them) and Strewth was 4. I sit corrected. They did get pwned a lot on the circuit though, when asked to describe it one of the key members of the crew gave one word 'dog'........

EDIT: BooBoo 1 R Bindell 1 and Rich Killip 1 on FreeFire. Go figure.

Yes Tuffy, you are spot on there, 1 have done 4 hobart's and there were 2 others among the crew. we had big issues with our main track damaged at the top so the top 4m of the main kept coming out of the track and we couldn't reef without it coming out. we spent the first night under just a number 4 jib until that blew out..... then we found the diesel tank was half full of water and the starter motor burnt out trying to get it running again.
there were numerous other things not going our way and we decided that it was not worth carrying on.
Bit of a bummer. I can tell you the lack of experience in the crew was not the problem, we had a good team and plenty of experence.

#1211 SeaGul

SeaGul

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

my inquisitive, and gradually becoming versed in sailing wench, just asked if its only the big boats that can motor for the whole race. got a smile from me. i remember when water ballast was considered controversial. fair call i think - watching that fantastic gybing dual up the river, i had to remind myself that there were power winches aiding getting those huge code-0s around.

I was wondering about a comment on a boat that had to retire because it "couldnt pass the Bass-straight without a motor running" -

....so is this really motor boats ? Posted Image

But the VOR and the BP5 doesnt use power winches ? Why in a small coastal race like this?

...or am I totally lost here?

#1212 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

my inquisitive, and gradually becoming versed in sailing wench, just asked if its only the big boats that can motor for the whole race. got a smile from me. i remember when water ballast was considered controversial. fair call i think - watching that fantastic gybing dual up the river, i had to remind myself that there were power winches aiding getting those huge code-0s around.

I was wondering about a comment on a boat that had to retire because it "couldnt pass the Bass-straight without a motor running" -

But the VOR and the BP5 doesnt use power winches ? Why in a small coastal race like this?

Saftey regs require a motor. If it's not working it does not meet the regs. Boat must meet the safety regs to continue past Green Cape.

#1213 Rossy

Rossy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

Besides which, got any other genius ideas for charging batteries?

Saftey regs require a motor. If it's not working it does not meet the regs. Boat must meet the safety regs to continue past Green Cape.

#1214 duncan (the other one)

duncan (the other one)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Yes Tuffy, you are spot on there, 1 have done 4 hobart's and there were 2 others among the crew. we had big issues with our main track damaged at the top so the top 4m of the main kept coming out of the track and we couldn't reef without it coming out. we spent the first night under just a number 4 jib until that blew out..... then we found the diesel tank was half full of water and the starter motor burnt out trying to get it running again.
there were numerous other things not going our way and we decided that it was not worth carrying on.
Bit of a bummer. I can tell you the lack of experience in the crew was not the problem, we had a good team and plenty of experence.

BooBoo.. I have a question.

This is genuine, so don't take it the wrong way.

It sounds like a crew for hire that hadn't sailed much on that particular boat.. or maybe the boat hadn't been out stretching its legs for a while. Given there was plenty of experience on board, how much time do these crew members spend having a look over things and doing some shakedown to ensure that systems and components are up to scratch?

Is this done, or do you guys hop on and expect the owner &/or BN to have it all sorted?

(ps: I'm assumign here everything was a bit worn and tired.. but it could be that you just had an run of bad luck when things just busted).

#1215 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

So, with over 1200 posts in this topic, it seems that there is at least 300 complaining about the press coverage only focusing on the big boats, 700 posts talking about Oats and Loyal, and 200 about the "other boats". Were a funny bunch aren't we!!! :lol: How can the press be bagged for the obsession with the big boats when the majority of posts in a S2H forum on one of the biggest yachting websites in the world is al about the line honours race!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, well done Loyal, Loki and all the other winners in this years field.

For those that wondered in the posts in here, AFR had a c*nt of a race. Broken head foil, 2 broken reef lines, a big wind hole with adverse currents across Bass Straight and simply too much upwind work. She is a great boat with plenty more to offer. Dropped 7 miles on the first night and 2nd day with sail change issues. When Victoire finally caught us we had the mainsail on the deck re-running reef lines. While we won't beat a B45's on IRC in a race where we went upwind for 4 days with only 10 hours of favourable conditions MAX, we still should beat them home. Next year.

#1216 SeaGul

SeaGul

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

wind solar etc - without power whinches thats should be possible - but this being a "yacht race" I can see why they are allowed to use
power whinches - as most new "yachts" have these.

But the conservatism agains multis is just that.

#1217 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

wind solar etc - without power whinches thats should be possible - but this being a "yacht race" I can see why they are allowed to use

A racing yact? With wind generators? With solar panels? You haven't done much yacht racing, have you?

#1218 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

A racing yact? With wind generators? With solar panels? You haven't done much yacht racing, have you?

Done all the time for ocean racers that do not run engines for the keel, etc. Open60's take a look at Banque Populaire 5, other RTW yachts

#1219 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Done all the time for ocean racers that do not run engines for the keel, etc. Open60's take a look at Banque Populaire 5, other RTW yachts

FFS...

This thread is soley about the 2011 Sydney Hobart race.

The Sailing Instructions require a boat to be TOTALLY compliant with Cat 1 Safety Regs, and fit to continue, before passing Green Cape.

The Cat 1 Safety regs require an engine (that works). Fit to continue means, in addition to many other things, an engine that works.

A boat passing Green Cape could still be at sea for a couple of days before finishing.

A boat needs power for radio scheds, instruments including GPS, lighting (failure to use nav lights contravenes safety regs & the law) and the tracker device on 24/7.

The engine is needed to charge the batteries for maybe 2 hours – probably twice a day.

If you walked the dock before the S2H, you might find a solar panel or two on the charter boats doing the race but very unlikely to find a wind charger.

The reason you will not find such gear on boats racing to Hobart is because of the weight of it.

Is all that still difficult for you to understand?

#1220 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

So, with over 1200 posts in this topic, it seems that there is at least 300 complaining about the press coverage only focusing on the big boats, 700 posts talking about Oats and Loyal, and 200 about the "other boats". Were a funny bunch aren't we!!! :lol: How can the press be bagged for the obsession with the big boats when the majority of posts in a S2H forum on one of the biggest yachting websites in the world is al about the line honours race!!!!!!!!!

Did you sit down and count them all......really

#1221 Coot's Away

Coot's Away

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

Nah - he can read the numbers at the top right of a post!Posted Image

#1222 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,516 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

For those that wondered in the posts in here, AFR had a c*nt of a race. Broken head foil, 2 broken reef lines, a big wind hole with adverse currents across Bass Straight and simply too much upwind work. She is a great boat with plenty more to offer. Dropped 7 miles on the first night and 2nd day with sail change issues. When Victoire finally caught us we had the mainsail on the deck re-running reef lines. While we won't beat a B45's on IRC in a race where we went upwind for 4 days with only 10 hours of favourable conditions MAX, we still should beat them home. Next year.

and most of those posts were due to people wanting to see Oats knocked of the top spot, hell, people would have even supported Wild Thing if it looked like they could have beaten them across the line. ;)

#1223 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thats just the Aussie tall popy getting done over by tbe underdog way of life.

#1224 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Edit - Did you really differentiate between all the post -300 complaints, 700 no 650 about Oats and Loyal,
200 - no 198 about other
and of course 50 general useless shitty comments/statements

#1225 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

and most of those posts were due to people wanting to see Oats knocked of the top spot, hell, people would have even supported Wild Thing if it looked like they could have beaten them across the line. ;)

Yup but it's still about line honour right?????

And no, didn't count each one, I used a bit of artistic license. Seems to be the norm in mainstream press so why not here :P

#1226 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

Edit - Did you really differentiate between all the post -300 complaints, 700 no 650 about Oats and Loyal,
200 - no 198 about other
and of course 50 general useless shitty comments/statements

51 general useless shitty comments/statements/regurgitations

#1227 Alysum

Alysum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:48 AM

OK so what's the forecast for the 2012 Hobart? Posted Image

#1228 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

OK so what's the forecast for the 2012 Hobart? Posted Image

Wild Oats pre race favorite
Wild Oats first out of the Heads
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Loyal second
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Loyal second
Some boats retire
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Loyal second
Wharro hits a sunfish!
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Loyal second
more boats retire (show pictures of one without mast)
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Loyal second
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Loyal second
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Loyal second
Wild Oats sees a shark close by
Wild Oats leading
Wild Oats leading
Loyal second
Wild Oats crosses finish first
Wild Oats owner gets on the boat
Lots of pics of Wild Oats
Loyal finishes second BTW
Lots of interviews with MR
Lots of pics of Wild Oats
Wild Oats arrives back in Sydney
Some other boats finish
Some boat wins the 2011 Sydney to Hobart
Wild Oats race dramas major feature news article
Wild Oats to be back next year
End of media coverage, thanks for coming to the Wild Oats show, see you next year.

Yup, I stole it. :P

#1229 Captain Gumby

Captain Gumby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

**sigh**

Was on Elektra (Bene 47.7) this year.

The boat had been having some engine problems for a few months.. each time the owner would get it looked at.. 4 different mechanics. Each would swear blind that they are the genius who has fixed the issue (stalling).. replaced all fuel lines, filters etc.

We were just north of Eden, doing a battery charge, when the engine started it's old tricks again. The owner decided to change the primary fuel filter, which I think was the only part that hadn't been changed out.. and sure enough, while changing the filter in fading light and the pitching seas, an O-Ring was dropped and not put in place.. So we went from a badly running engine to no engine at all.

At the same time, we had done some pretty bad damage to the Main.. so we were going to get into some calmer waters to change sails anyway.. but then couldn't even start the engine :(

Sailed into Eden, dropped the pick under sail and had to pull out of the race :(

The next morning, the missing O-Ring was found and put back in, which got the engine restarted, but it was too dodgy to be able to continue, as the original problem was still there.

Totally gutted. I've been sulking since I got home and being a general pain to my poor GF. Very annoyed, as I was hoping to have a perfect record of starts/finishes.. would have been my 4th finish. On the upside.. I'm damn determined to do it again next year! :D

#1230 dreadom

dreadom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

**sigh**

The boat had been having some engine problems for a few months.. each time the owner would get it looked at.. 4 different mechanics. Each would swear blind that they are the genius who has fixed the issue (stalling).. replaced all fuel lines, filters etc.

We were just north of Eden, doing a battery charge, when the engine started it's old tricks again. The owner decided to change the primary fuel filter, which I think was the only part that hadn't been changed out.. and sure enough, while changing the filter in fading light and the pitching seas, an O-Ring was dropped and not put in place.. So we went from a badly running engine to no engine at all.

At the same time, we had done some pretty bad damage to the Main.. so we were going to get into some calmer waters to change sails anyway.. but then couldn't even start the engine :(

Sailed into Eden, dropped the pick under sail and had to pull out of the race :(

The next morning, the missing O-Ring was found and put back in, which got the engine restarted, but it was too dodgy to be able to continue, as the original problem was still there.

Totally gutted. I've been sulking since I got home and being a general pain to my poor GF. Very annoyed, as I was hoping to have a perfect record of starts/finishes.. would have been my 4th finish. On the upside.. I'm damn determined to do it again next year! :D

Sorry you didn't make it this year GG. Thanks for posting though, shows that real passion for racing that some asshats around here should re embrace.

#1231 mrzarch

mrzarch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

FFS...

This thread is soley about the 2011 Sydney Hobart race.

The Sailing Instructions require a boat to be TOTALLY compliant with Cat 1 Safety Regs, and fit to continue, before passing Green Cape.

The Cat 1 Safety regs require an engine (that works). Fit to continue means, in addition to many other things, an engine that works.

A boat passing Green Cape could still be at sea for a couple of days before finishing.

A boat needs power for radio scheds, instruments including GPS, lighting (failure to use nav lights contravenes safety regs & the law) and the tracker device on 24/7.

The engine is needed to charge the batteries for maybe 2 hours – probably twice a day.

If you walked the dock before the S2H, you might find a solar panel or two on the charter boats doing the race but very unlikely to find a wind charger.

The reason you will not find such gear on boats racing to Hobart is because of the weight of it.

Is all that still difficult for you to understand?

Exactly this. One of my crewmates has apparently posted tonight, and he's as gutted as I am. You absolutely must have a working engine and HF radio, as well as the ability to certify that the crew and boat are in generally good condition. Look at what happened with Shepherd Center -- disqualified for not reporting in from Green Cape, as I understand it. The boat absolutely has to be fit to withstand the worst that Bass Strait can dish out, and with a non-functional engine, we weren't up to that standard. Forget charging the radio -- what would have happened in a MOB situation? Can't take that risk, and it kills me in particular as I may not get another crack at this once I'm based back in the States.

The only thing I would add is that it's more of a certainty than a possibility, for all but the fastest boats, that you'll be at sea for a couple of days after passing Green Cape. That's only about 1/3 of the way down a 600+ nm course. Not many yachts can make 200 miles a day in what we might charitably call "variable" conditions...

#1232 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

""Exactly this. One of my crewmates has apparently posted tonight, and he's as gutted as I am. You absolutely must have a working engine and HF radio, as well as the ability to certify that the crew and boat are in generally good condition. Look at what happened with Shepherd Center -- disqualified for not reporting in from Green Cape, as I understand it. The boat absolutely has to be fit to withstand the worst that Bass Strait can dish out, and with a non-functional engine, we weren't up to that standard. Forget charging the radio -- what would have happened in a MOB situation? Can't take that risk, and it kills me in particular as I may not get another crack at this once I'm based back in the States.

The only thing I would add is that it's more of a certainty than a possibility, for all but the fastest boats, that you'll be at sea for a couple of days after passing Green Cape. That's only about 1/3 of the way down a 600+ nm course. Not many yachts can make 200 miles a day in what we might charitably call "variable" conditions...""
[/quote]

WRT: Shepherds Centre;
Shepherd Centre - scored DNF due to a failure to report under Sailing Instruction 44.1 at Green Cape.
According to the S.I.s' there is NO penalty attached to 44.1.

http://www.cyca.com..../rshyr11_si.pdf

There is however that particular DNF penalty for a breech of 44.2,
"A boat which has not been recorded
and acknowledged by either “JBW” or
Hobart Race Control as having
complied with SI 44.2 shall be
recorded DNF without a hearing
(amends RRS 63.1)."

Except that these boats were only given a time penalty.
Victoire - penalty of 20 minutes applied under Sailing Instruction 44.2
Carina - penalty of 20 minutes applied under Sailing Instruction 44.2
Outrageous Fortune - penalty of 20 minutes applied under Sailing Instruction 44.2
Natelle Two - penalty of 60 minutes applied under Sailing Instruction 44.2

So come on C.Y.C. you guys are better than this, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play on on T.V. but if I can find these inconsistencices, playing a lawyer, um, devils advocate on the internet, then things need tightening.
I may consider an honorary role, for waaayyyy less beers than a real lawyer would drink in a day....

#1233 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

Yeah would -like to know the particulars behind that. Seems like it was either black or white, then they created some gray area.

#1234 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

Shepard Centre missed quite a few scheds and did not report in at Green Cape. They tried, HF was failing to cummunicate.

The other penalties relate to being late with Green Cape or missing a sched. As a competitor, I am happy with the above.

#1235 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Shepard Centre missed quite a few scheds and did not report in at Green Cape. They tried, HF was failing to cummunicate.

The other penalties relate to being late with Green Cape or missing a sched. As a competitor, I am happy with the above.

Yeah I would agree with you. Just wonder why the s.a.'s dont allow for it.
Much ado about nothing - just curious knowing the Carina guys are usually
on the ball.

#1236 mrzarch

mrzarch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

Yeah would -like to know the particulars behind that. Seems like it was either black or white, then they created some gray area.

It was pretty black and white at the race briefing. Something along the lines of "if you cannot get a clear signal on HF from either JBW or Hobart Race Control, don't bother going any further." They further commented that they would be displeased with any yacht that did not comply, and that they can have very long memories. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out...

#1237 Ocean View

Ocean View

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:56 AM

Posted Today, 12:02 AM

moondance44, on 04 January 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

It was pretty black and white at the race briefing. Something along the lines of "if you cannot get a clear signal on HF from either JBW or Hobart Race Control, don't bother going any further." They further commented that they would be displeased with any yacht that did not comply, and that they can have very long memories. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out...

I'm all for it - if you can't communicate - then don;t proceed and expect a race result. A lot of this all came out as improvements from the 98 report.Which is probably why there is a discussion paper out from Vic re sat phones and mobiles being carried and usable as part of a boats radio comms - mandatory and optional in certain categories."The SR’s are silent on other possible methods of communication such as EPIRB’s, PLB’s, AIS, GMDSS DSC, mobile phones and satellite phones, etc that, in 2011, are potentially viable alternatives or could be used instead of or in conjunction with existing radio systems."http://www.rbyc.org....equirements.pdf

#1238 BlueBoy

BlueBoy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Oats can't shake Loyal the same 3 mile lead, wonder if the Southerley Buster suits the beamier heavier Loyal over Oats, as expected Wild Thing going out the back door and will either fallover or retire by tomorrow sometime, AFR Midnight Rambler and Chutzpah fascinating battle, AFR perhaps enjoying the Southerley a little more. Loki will be hard to beat for overall handicap, lets see what the morning brings.! ;)

Feak !!!

Have you seen this race before ?

Can you tell me the quaddie numbers for Flemingtonn on Saturday ?

#1239 Leka

Leka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

**sigh**

CG,
Been there done that, know exactly what it feels like.

We eased the pain a little by flying to Hobart after we delivered the boat back to Syd when we had to pull out at Eden one year, maybe 06?
4 of the 8 had partners that went down there, so it seemed a good idea.
Certainly eased the drama of not finishing.

That was #4 and had another oportunity to do #5.
Each one has been great and well worth it, but Eden really sucks.
HTFU and look forward to the next one.

Don't kick the dog or the missus.:P

#1240 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Posted Today, 12:02 AM

moondance44, on 04 January 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

I'm all for it - if you can't communicate - then don;t proceed and expect a race result. A lot of this all came out as improvements from the 98 report.Which is probably why there is a discussion paper out from Vic re sat phones and mobiles being carried and usable as part of a boats radio comms - mandatory and optional in certain categories."The SR’s are silent on other possible methods of communication such as EPIRB’s, PLB’s, AIS, GMDSS DSC, mobile phones and satellite phones, etc that, in 2011, are potentially viable alternatives or could be used instead of or in conjunction with existing radio systems."http://www.rbyc.org....equirements.pdf

Ahh there shouldn't be any problem with accepting a vhf relay from another boat if some radio issues exspoecially nowadays with all the other emergency electronic stuff on board
nowadays

#1241 point

point

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

Sam Tinson did the race aboard the VO60 Southern Excellence and shot more than 500 photos over the course of the race. He's holding on to the gems for publication with his take on the race but here's something of a taster from that first afternoon...

Posted Image

Bunch more on the Volvo 60 Yacht Racing Facebook

#1242 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

From a FB page.........
The buzz around the docks at the CYCA is an unconfirmed rumour that Syd Fischer and Geoff Hill are looking to acquire the 90ft maxi Genuine Risk for next year's race.

Confirm

it's a 'deal' but GH (of Strewth) will be chartering to Syd

#1243 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,997 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

don't setup a SportsBet with GR coming third in the next Hobart, looks like she's good for shot at 2nd

Loyal sold to the Med is the scuttlebutt

#1244 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Set one up with Beau Geste instead you Aussie lemons. Lots of Kiwis on board so there is a dead cert....

#1245 GybeSet®

GybeSet®

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,997 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

there is aussies & kiwis on all the big boats

good news that she intends to start, the most traveled racer out there

anyone will be able to put money on BG, but afaik they don't do handicap

but will you P Y M W Y M Is anyway?

#1246 Alysum