Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

Timelapse of the Groupama mast getting loaded aboard:
http://dl.dropbox.co...t-transport.mp4
.ldf

Foto’s Ronald Koelink, foto-nautiek.nl en Paul Heijdra, DHL.
Film: Ronald Koelink, foto-nautiek.nl

#1802 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

But.. But.. Can they make it, non-stop??

How exciting!

Why?

#1803 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

I really hope that the slow down and turn East thing near the Falklands is just a tracker glitch... fingers crossed.

nope, I was wrong, looks like a glitch - they are heading in the right direction now.

#1804 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,244 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Juan K statement on the VOR breakages
Generalisation that all of the VO70s have structural problems is not true

Wednesday April 11th 2012, Author: Juan Kouyoumdjian, Location: Spain With our three boats safely in Brazil and under the risk of sounding arrogant, I’ll break away from my golden rule of not speaking until the end of the race to put the record straight, since I believe we are presented with an intentional manipulation of the truth.

There is a common, spread notion that ALL the participants of this VOR have structural problems, that the situation is unacceptable and that something needs to be done for the future.

A fundamental distinction needs to be made between the mast breakages and the rest, and while I think it is very important to understand what caused so many mast failures, it is a travesty of the truth to put ALL designs in the same basket when it comes down to the 'other' structural issues.

This generalisation might suit a specific Team, or person to push any agenda he might have for the future, but out of respect of the hard and serious work done with my Team I need to speak up.

In the first edition of the VO70s, we had two triumphs to celebrate that as designers we are very proud of. One is obviously that our design was driven to victory by a very good crew and the other one is that our two boats [both ABN AMRO] were the only ones that completed the full circumnavigation without major structural problems. This celebration was faded by the public generalisation that because one boat sunk and others had structural failures, then ALL of the boats had problems and the rules had to be changed. Which in fact they did, for the worse!

I didn’t say anything publicly then and moved on. However, seeing the same generalisation occurring now, I’d like to stick to the facts and so allow for conclusions to be made without generalisations.

- A VO70 cannot be designed not to break. In fact, any boat in a round the world race cannot be designed not to break. So ultimately, breakages are in the hands of the crew.
- Puma won leg 5 without a major structural problem and this due to the excellence and experience of its crew.
- Telefonica finished 2nd in leg 5 with a hull delamination in port mid bow which did not prevent her from racing.
- Telefonica’s pit stop in Cape Horn was not a necessity but rather a very clever strategical decision based on having 3rd place assured and a weather window to exploit.
- Groupama, notwithstanding of an excellent management of the boat during leg 5 to see misfortune hit them with a broken mast, has sailed on her own means to Brazil without structural problems.

So, while we focus in understanding why there have been so many problems with the rigs, I’d beg not to generalise and avoid putting in the same basket the good work and brilliance of some engineers with that of others which are clearly not the same.

Juan Kouyoumdjian.
Valencia, April 11
th
, 2012.

#1805 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:48 AM

AD have to hack good-sized chunks out of both the port and starboard side of this boat.

And, with the late arrival of their taxi, there will probably not be time to get the job done before the in-port race.

So Ian, nobody said it would be easy.

But, just in case, take your beta-blockers.

#1806 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,244 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Juan K statement on the VOR breakages
Generalisation that all of the VO70s have structural problems is not true

Wednesday April 11th 2012, Author: Juan Kouyoumdjian, Location: Spain With our three boats safely in Brazil and under the risk of sounding arrogant, I'll break away from my golden rule of not speaking until the end of the race to put the record straight, since I believe we are presented with an intentional manipulation of the truth.

There is a common, spread notion that ALL the participants of this VOR have structural problems, that the situation is unacceptable and that something needs to be done for the future.

A fundamental distinction needs to be made between the mast breakages and the rest, and while I think it is very important to understand what caused so many mast failures, it is a travesty of the truth to put ALL designs in the same basket when it comes down to the 'other' structural issues.

This generalisation might suit a specific Team, or person to push any agenda he might have for the future, but out of respect of the hard and serious work done with my Team I need to speak up.

In the first edition of the VO70s, we had two triumphs to celebrate that as designers we are very proud of. One is obviously that our design was driven to victory by a very good crew and the other one is that our two boats [both ABN AMRO] were the only ones that completed the full circumnavigation without major structural problems. This celebration was faded by the public generalisation that because one boat sunk and others had structural failures, then ALL of the boats had problems and the rules had to be changed. Which in fact they did, for the worse!

I didn't say anything publicly then and moved on. However, seeing the same generalisation occurring now, I'd like to stick to the facts and so allow for conclusions to be made without generalisations.

- A VO70 cannot be designed not to break. In fact, any boat in a round the world race cannot be designed not to break. So ultimately, breakages are in the hands of the crew.
- Puma won leg 5 without a major structural problem and this due to the excellence and experience of its crew.
- Telefonica finished 2nd in leg 5 with a hull delamination in port mid bow which did not prevent her from racing.
- Telefonica's pit stop in Cape Horn was not a necessity but rather a very clever strategical decision based on having 3rd place assured and a weather window to exploit.
- Groupama, notwithstanding of an excellent management of the boat during leg 5 to see misfortune hit them with a broken mast, has sailed on her own means to Brazil without structural problems.

So, while we focus in understanding why there have been so many problems with the rigs, I'd beg not to generalise and avoid putting in the same basket the good work and brilliance of some engineers with that of others which are clearly not the same.

Juan Kouyoumdjian.
Valencia, April 11
th
, 2012.

Leg 5 from Auckland to Itajaí saw the highest attrition rate on the fleet to date, with just one boat making it all the way without stopping, one of the three finishers so far coming home under a jury rig, two others loaded on cargo ships and one still to finish.
Nick Dana/Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing Gareth Cooke/Volvo Ocean Race Hamish Hooper/CAMPER ETNZ/Volvo Ocean Race IAN ROMAN/Volvo Ocean Race "Leg 5 from New Zealand to Brazil saw the highest attrition rate on the fleet to date"

The problems sparked comment and speculation in the world’s sailing media and across online forums over the designs and building of the boats, the route of the race, the style of racing, the ice exclusion zone and even the time of year the leg was sailed.

The Volvo Ocean Race talked to people who should know best -- the six skippers themselves -- to get their opinion on the problems.

CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand skipper Chris Nicholson described the latest generation boats as difficult to build and to sail but said that challenge was integral to the allure of the Volvo Ocean Race for the fans and part of the job for the professional sailors who race them.

“You just can’t produce these faster boats -- this exciting offshore action and also the in-port racing -- you just can’t deliver the speed and thrills without some breakages,” he said.

“I imagine there are quite different opinions out there but everyone sailing on these boats know exactly what they are capable of,” Nicholson added. “We could be racing around in steel hulled boats, doing a maximum of 12 knots, never breaking anything and effectively turning everyone away from watching the race.

“I like the combination that we have. It’s very challenging and that’s one of the reasons it draws the best sailors in the world. These are pretty cool boats but they are difficult -- and that is how it should be at this level of the sport.”

Team Telefónica skipper Iker Martínez believes that damage to boats in a round the world race is virtually inevitable and a factor the skippers and crews need to take into consideration when setting their strategies.

“The boats get damaged because they are very fast,” Martínez said. “They can easily reach 40 knots and to not have any damage at that speed the boat would have to be very strong and thus not ideal to win an around a world race.

“The best way to win this race is to have a very fast boat and stop it when it needs to be stopped,” he added. “That is the type of boat that we have, we compete with it, and we have to take all of that into account and that’s that.”

Team Sanya’s Mike Sanderson, the only skipper in the current edition to have won the Volvo Ocean Race, says boat failures are absolutely to be expected, given the astonishing performance of the latest batch of Volvo Open 70s.

“When they’re going fast they crash hard,” said Sanderson, who skippers the only older generation boat in the race. “Just take a second and look at what these guys put these boats through. Sometimes they’re not even trying, you know. Sometimes they’re trying to slow the boats down and they can’t. They’re incredible.”

Sanderson said boat damage had always been a part of the Volvo Ocean Race and cited his experience in the 2005-06 race which he won on ABN AMRO ONE. “It was the first time the (new) boats had been used in the race and we had loads of problems, especially with the keel,” Sanderson said.

“We were using new things that hadn’t been tried before and there were failures. But there were also spectacular performances and distances covered like no one had ever seen before, especially in monohull boats.”

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing skipper Ian Walker also pointed to a previous edition as evidence that fleet-wide boat damage was nothing new. “In the last race we only had one tough leg -- on the way to China -- and don’t forget three boats ended up getting smashed up on that leg and the others stopped,” he said.

However, Walker said that the fact that this time only Leg 5 winner PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG had made it to Brazil without stopping was a strong indicator that something was wrong.

“We -- not just us, all the teams -- just don’t seem to be able to get through the tough conditions in this race,” he said. “Before the start of Leg 5 it hadn’t been too bad. We hadn’t had too many breakages up until then.

“When you look at this leg however, you have to say we can’t go on like this.”

Walker did not put any blame on the design parameters or the quality of the boats’ construction for the failures.

“I don’t think you can blame the rule and these boats are all very well built,” he said. “I just think we are pushing them so hard and the boats are so stiff and so light that I guess things are inevitably going to break with these materials.”

Groupama sailing team skipper Franck Cammas believes that with each generation of Volvo Open 70s the teams try to make the boats more and more stable and learn from previous mistakes.

Cammas also pointed out that the teams and their designers were well aware that taking shortcuts to save money would be false economy. “We all know and the experts know that loss of reliability means at the end of the day a loss of money and a loss of time,” he said. “Reliability is the most important thing and every rule is twisted towards that.”

Cammas said he did not believe the latest fleet was any less resilient than in previous races but the boats were being pushed harder because of the level of competition this time.

“People mustn’t say that the boats are less reliable than before because they’re not,” he said. “Certainly the level of competition of this Volvo Ocean Race is making us push the boats harder than ever before. They go faster than ever before too because they’re better designed.”

“You can always change the rules, sometimes it’s good to and maybe we could make the boats more resistant – but let’s not worry ourselves too much, it’s all part of the sport.

“In Formula 1 if there was never an accident it wouldn’t even be Formula 1 and with the Volvo if there weren’t breakages like this we wouldn’t be hitting the extreme benchmark,” Cammas concluded.

Ken Read, skipper of Leg 5 winners PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG, said the modern day boats were arguably too fast and conditions had been such in the Southern Ocean that the helmsmen spent most of their time trying to slow down to avoid damaging the boat.

“That’s when the human element has to take over and say, 'Listen, there is a limit to sailing these boats at this pace before things can go catastrophically wrong,'” Read said.

“Going at 40 knots is the dumbest thing you could do, because you would be out of control. However sometimes you don’t have the choice, a couple of big waves pick you up and suddenly you are off like a scalded dog.

“You have to do everything you can to stop the boat going airborne,” he added. “It is the waves within the waves that do the damage. It’s the 10- footers that are all over the 50-footers that act as the launching ramp and those are the ones that do the damage.”

Despite ultimately coming through Leg 5 unscathed, Read said the team owed a great deal to chance.

“There is a huge amount of luck involved,” he said. “It’s like a car crash -- if I had left the house ten seconds later my car wouldn’t have been in that position and the whole thing would not have happened.

“Well, if something had happened just prior and you weren’t on that particular part of the wave at that point, then the boat wouldn’t have gone airborne and you wouldn’t have come crashing down and broken the boat in half.”

Read said he attributed much of the damage sustained by the fleet to how close the competition is in this edition.

“The fact is that the race has become so competitive, that forces us to push harder in conditions which we would traditionally not normally have pushed,” he said.

“To win you need to be on the edge all the time. Backing off means taking off that last 10 per cent, which means you have gone from completely out of control to just kind off out of control.”

“It’s human competitive nature to push and you can break anything but you have to have the self preservation mentality which says we can’ break now because this is how we are going to lost the race.”

#1807 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

KIA ORA CAMPER!

You are not forgotten.

It might feel like it a large lonely ocean

And the absence of sun casts shadows over the entire operation.

But, just up ahead, it is a Brazil.

At least 5 minutes standing in a shower and collapsing between clean sheets.

Kia Kaha!

#1808 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

And, in the meantime, the good ol' days of Whitebread racing.

Tracy Edwards and the Maiden syndicate.

Attached Files

#1809 CamilaDarwin

CamilaDarwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Posted Imagewhen has being captain obvious been newsworthy?

#1810 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

And, in the meantime, the good ol' days of Whitebread racing.

Tracy Edwards and the Maiden syndicate.

That would certainly encourage the male teams to follow them in...

#1811 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Good article about North Sails and Puma (technical stuff):
http://www.sailingwo...g/built-to-last

#1812 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

It is interesting. This is a Ken Red interview - done in Newport.

Having arrived in Itajai, he goes to the aiport and buggars off.

Which seems to be the pattern (and not just with Puma).

Deep in my soul I have a feeling expedition members should stay at base camp, rest, and get ready for the next leg.

Anyway, Camper crew will not have time to go anywhere [and will be lucky if they get even one trip to the beach].

But they are now getting nice conditions for the last bit into Itajai.

This Itajai in-port race could be crucial. A lot of points involved.

#1813 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

It is interesting. This is a Ken Red interview - done in Newport.

Having arrived in Itajai, he goes to the aiport and buggars off.

Which seems to be the pattern (and not just with Puma).

Deep in my soul I have a feeling expedition members should stay at base camp, rest, and get ready for the next leg.

Anyway, Camper crew will not have time to go anywhere [and will be lucky if they get even one trip to the beach].

But they are now getting nice conditions for the last bit into Itajai.

This Itajai in-port race could be crucial. A lot of points involved.

Wait a minute, what...? Your point makes no sense TK, why should the sailors stay and prep for the next leg? All the teams have shore crews for that exact reason, remember those guys, the ones who are performing miracles to get the boats racing again after all the damage. Even the mighty...late...Camper have a shore crew and tough shit if the boys only get a half beach day prior to the next in port or leg. That's Ocean Racing At The Extreme.

#1814 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Wait a minute, what...? Your point makes no sense TK, why should the sailors stay and prep for the next leg? All the teams have shore crews for that exact reason, remember those guys, the ones who are performing miracles to get the boats racing again after all the damage. Even the mighty...late...Camper have a shore crew and tough shit if the boys only get a half beach day prior to the next in port or leg. That's Ocean Racing At The Extreme.

Yes, I understand. And, having watched shore crews, am impressed with them.

But sailors need rest during precious days between arrival and departure.

Flying all the way back to Newport (to work) is not a good use of time.

Yes, I know. Some sailors flew from AD to NZ and back to AD for the pro-am race.

Again, not a good use of time.

#1815 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Camper are now less than 400 miles from Itajai.

The ship carrying AB is coming up behind.

I hope the Camper boys have practised the Dun Mihaka salute (not to be confused with the Heimlich manouver).

In case the Abu Dhabi ship comes within range.

Otherwise it looks like Camper might beat AB into Itajai.

#1816 brutus

brutus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

Yes, I understand. And, having watched shore crews, am impressed with them.

But sailors need rest during precious days between arrival and departure.

Flying all the way back to Newport (to work) is not a good use of time.

Yes, I know. Some sailors flew from AD to NZ and back to AD for the pro-am race.

Again, not a good use of time.

I am pretty sure that Kenny Read would disagree that seeing his young daughter and family is not a good use of time. A few days with family may be the best time spent to recharge the batteries.

#1817 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

I am pretty sure that Kenny Read would disagree that seeing his young daughter and family is not a good use of time. A few days with family may be the best time spent to recharge the batteries.

Yes, can't argue with that.

Particularly if he sits in business class on the way back to Itajai!

#1818 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

camper still plugging along at 16knts

only 240nm to go now

#1819 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Camper now about 200 miles back and hoping to avoid a parking lot up ahead.

These guys must be bursting to see Brazil.

#1820 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

Camper has 100 miles to go.

Oh how tempting to start the iron sail!

#1821 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

12hrs to go?

"We've been making good time and it has been pretty nice sailing actually, so we're pretty lucky. It means that we've got valuable hours on shore to get the boat ready to go, and hopefully have a day off before loading the boat again and hitting the Pro-Am and the In-Port race.

"We haven't just been cruising along, we've been pushing the boat as hard as possible in the conditions we've had without doing any damage. We need to get there (Itajai) as soon as possible and I know the shore crew are very keen to pull things apart and get the rig out - we need every hour we can get really.

"What's comforting is we've sailed from Puerto Montt around the Horn and given the boat a pretty good battering again. It gives us a lot of confidence in the repairs that were made."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10799516

#1822 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

They're in....

Posted ImagePosted Image

Credit: Ian Roman/Volvo Ocean Race.

http://new.livestrea...99&medium=email

#1823 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Just like in the AC there are strong cultural factors at play in the Volvo.

Taking a ship from PM to Itajai was just NOT an option.

Moreover, when GD talks to sponsors about another Volvo challenge, they can be assured it will be a full-on, no-shit effort.

Well done Camper!

#1824 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Grant has to wish Emirates had aircraft flying to places he likes to go.

Like Puerto Montt, Naples, Itajai, Miami!

Anyway, the Camper lads are getting a bit of well-deserved rest.

And the docks are buzzing with talk about the likely outcome of the protest against Telefonica.

I doubt they will be DSQ from the entire leg.

But, they are eligible for a detention. Followed by the loss of points.

Ah, but how many points? Yes, that is the question.

If they get docked 15 or 20 points, it is all on for Camper.

Stu Bannatyne, Nico and the rest kept saying the 15 points for sailing from PM might really matter by the time they get to Galway.

If I was the committe I would dock Tele. But not in such an egregious manner they emerge feeling bruised and embittered.

Iker et al look like decent blokes. In a significant way, they are the heart and soul of the race.

So this protest is a delicate issue in need of careful handling.

#1825 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Grant has to wish Emirates had aircraft flying to places he likes to go.

Like Puerto Montt, Naples, Itajai, Miami!

Anyway, the Camper lads are getting a bit of well-deserved rest.

And the docks are buzzing with talk about the likely outcome of the protest against Telefonica.

I doubt they will be DSQ from the entire leg.

But, they are eligible for a detention. Followed by the loss of points.

Ah, but how many points? Yes, that is the question.

If they get docked 15 or 20 points, it is all on for Camper.

Stu Bannatyne, Nico and the rest kept saying the 15 points for sailing from PM might really matter by the time they get to Galway.

If I was the committe I would dock Tele. But not in such an egregious manner they emerge feeling bruised and embittered.

Iker et al look like decent blokes. In a significant way, they are the heart and soul of the race.

So this protest is a delicate issue in need of careful handling.

If Tele cheated on a leg of the race, especially using illegal sails, why shouldn't they be tossed from the leg?

Having extra sails, or at least non-compliant sails, is one of the fundamental elements of making a boat go faster. Why not just let teams just fire up their engines to get through the doldrums? It would be basically the same thing.

This pussyification of yacht racing is one of the reasons people stop paying attention. If it is determined they cheated by using non-compliant sails, they should be tossed from the leg.

#1826 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

This pussyification of yacht racing is one of the reasons people stop paying attention. If it is determined they cheated by using non-compliant sails, they should be tossed from the leg.

I hear you.

But it will probably depend upon whether having extra sails aboard was a deliberate (in inadvertent) violation of the rules.

#1827 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

I hear you.

But it will probably depend upon whether having extra sails aboard was a deliberate (in inadvertent) violation of the rules.

When I'm in a one-design race, and the rules say I can have 5 sails aboard, I leave the dock with 5 sails. I actually count the sails on the boat before it leaves the dock.

There is no such thing as inadvertently leaving the dock with extra sails.

Are you saying that the skipper isn't responsible for insuring they have the legal limit of sails aboard? If not, who is?

#1828 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,058 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

I hear you.

Is that the same as being inadvertently OCS, or inadvertently cutting a corner ?

Is this a concept from EB ? Like an inadvertent mutiny on the RC for example ?

#1829 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Are you saying that the skipper isn't responsible for insuring they have the legal limit of sails aboard? If not, who is?

I am not saying anything.

But, after all the agony of that long leg (Sanya to Akld) to be DSQ would be harsh!!!

N'est pas?

#1830 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

I am not saying anything.

But, after all the agony of that long leg (Sanya to Akld) to be DSQ would be harsh!!!

N'est pas?

Here's what Ken Read has to say about it in Sailing World. If is intel is correct, this is worse than we know. It will be interesting to see the facts found. But that said, I trust almost nothing about Juries at fully pro events - look at how utterly weak ISAF is these days on this stuff - they did nothing to SNG for the race 2 RC mutiny, and Ainslie walked. Of course Ainslie will never live down what he did, for the rest of his life people will remember that he lost his cool with a guy that was just doing his job, which is to help make Ainslie more famous.

According to race officials, a jury hearing will be held during the Itajai stopover this month. At issue is a claim that Team Telefonica sailed Leg 4 (and possibly others) with an extra sail. Here’s what Read had to say about it.

We don’t’ really know much about it, to be honest. I’ve been beating around the bushes and we’ve been told by several sources that there was an unstamped sail onboard. If it is what we think it is, it was an extra storm jib.

On the outside that doesn’t’ sound like a big deal, but the storm jib has actually turned into a pretty unique sail in the inventory. We, and everyone else, have two storm jibs with two very different profiles. There are four tack locations on the foredeck, and on the aft-most tack we fly a storm jib staysail that’s actually a square-headed sail. It’s a really funky staysail that we have up all the time when we bring it—we literally put it up at the beginning of the leg and take it down at the end. It really helps attach the breeze to the back of the mainsail.

We think it’s a couple tenths-of-knot [of boatspeed] or more in some conditions. So a lot of the time you might end up triple-headed. You can use it as a changing sail, too. It really makes a difference. So this storm jib staysail is a pretty important sail. But you can only carry one storm jib onboard. Our other staysail is your traditional high-clew sail that’s just a survival sail. In this leg [Leg 5] and the one before [Leg 4], it was predicted to be bad weather so we took the storm jib not the storm jib staysail.

I would have loved to take it. They supposedly took both, and that sucks. If the rumors are correct, and they had both, first of all, it’s an advantage, and secondly, they sailed the leg illegally, so something will have to be done.

#1831 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

Here's what Ken Read has to say about it in Sailing World. If is intel is correct, this is worse than we know.

Who are the VOR jurors?

And are they all in Itajai?

#1832 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

Who are the VOR jurors?

Do the jurors maybe live in Itajai and double up as crowd control police whenever boats drift in to town? Could be!!

#1833 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

Who are the VOR jurors?

Do the jurors maybe live in Itajai and double up as crowd control police whenever boats drift in to town? Could be!!

From the Volvo site....we'll have an answer tomorrow.

The international jury will announce a verdict on Thursday after hearing submissions in the Team Telefónica sail protest hearing.
The independent body of rules experts chaired by ISAF international judge Bernard Bonneau heard from three witnesses in the case, which centres on an alleged breach of 5.2.2 of the Notice of Race.

The jury then decided it needed more time to consider the facts of the case as presented, and said a verdict would be announced around 1200 local time (1500 GMT).

Race director Jack Lloyd, Telefónica skipper Iker Martínez and chief measurer Shaun Ritson were the witnesses giving evidence on Wednesday. Telefónica were represented by legal adviser Luis De Mariscal.

The jury decided a hearing was necessary after receiving a report from the head of the race’s measurement group over the sails carried by Telefónica during Leg 4 from Sanya to Auckland.

Under race rules, each boat is required to carry on board one storm trysail, one storm jib and one heavy weather jib, plus a maximum of seven other sails, made up of a maximum of one mainsail, two headsails, three spinnakers and one staysail.

The jury was made up of:

Bernard Bonneau (FRA) Chairman
Peter Shrubb (BER)
Flavio Naveira (ARG)
Chris Atkins (GBR)
John Maccall (ARG)

A full report on the case will be published once the verdict has been announced.

#1834 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

Very exciting. Is there a countdown timer to this earth shattering verdict anywhere? And most importantly, what Cunt of a watchmaker is sponoring it??

;)

#1835 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

Very exciting. Is there a countdown timer to this earth shattering verdict anywhere? And most importantly, what Cunt of a watchmaker is sponoring it??

;)

What the hell are you smoking?

Saving this post for posterity in case you decide to delete it.

#1836 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

^ Enjoy ;)

You completely missed the connection, would hardly be your sorry-ass first time.. Pathetic.

You may preserve this post up your posterior for your posterity too.

#1837 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

I wonder what the Hainan Comrades think about the disappearance of their race boat.

Has anyone heard peep out of Sanya?

Not a very good outcome for anybody.

Does anyone know what the sponsors are saying or doing?

Rudder hits something.

And poof ! The challenge disappears !

#1838 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

I wonder what the Hainan Comrades think about the disappearance of their race boat.

Rudder hits something.

Sanya shipped via Maersk Lines (their sponsor) on a direct voyage to Savannah, GA. After repairs, plan is to sail down the coast to Miami. No word on where they are repairing but Thunderbolt Marine is a good bet.

And yes, since they departed Tauranga on the container ship there has been a conspicuous silence.

#1839 NotASailor

NotASailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Rudder hits something.

Sanya shipped via Maersk Lines (their sponsor) on a direct voyage to Savannah, GA. After repairs, plan is to sail down the coast to Miami. No word on where they are repairing but Thunderbolt Marine is a good bet.

And yes, since they departed Tauranga on the container ship there has been a conspicuous silence.

Silence is broken... http://www.facebook....18628721&type=1

And the case against telefonica is dismissed

#1840 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Yes, Telefonica in the clear.

There was ambiguity in the part of the NOR dealing with sails.

They have now issued new instructions (concerning sails).

Mmmmmmh!

#1841 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yes, Telefonica in the clear.

There was ambiguity in the part of the NOR dealing with sails.

They have now issued new instructions (concerning sails).

Mmmmmmh!

Whoever wrote the NOR ought to be outed, and flicked. Complete incompetence.

#1842 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

Nothing to see here and now back to the racing :)

#1843 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Nothing to see here and now back to the racing :)

You mean back to setting out on an offshore adventure and seeing who can break their boat least, and then seeing who has the best shore logistics to get a boat into port by means other than actually sailing?

#1844 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Looks like the Race Director and Chief Measurer fucked up - but the Chief Measurer alone is getting the blame for the inconsistent interpretations.

#1845 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Looks like the Race Director and Chief Measurer fucked up - but the Chief Measurer alone is getting the blame for the inconsistent interpretations.

And good on Tele for seeing the grey area and knowing how to use it to their advantage.

#1846 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

And good on Tele for seeing the grey area and knowing how to use it to their advantage.

Absolutely!!

#1847 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

"We caught up with Mike Sanderson while he was in Auckland, after pulling out of Leg 5, and sought his views on a range of issues overhanging the future of the Volvo Ocean Race. (The first part of the audio covers the damage to Team Sanya, previously reported in Sail-World) "

http://www.sail-worl...d=0&tickerCID=0

edit, ^ good one

#1848 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

Interesting; watching the Tampa Bay Rays vs the Toronto Blue Jays basball game with the folks and all of a sudden there is the advertisement on the Sunshine Network:

Follow the Volvo Ocean Race 2011- 2012.

Interesting PR all the way up here in Tampa for the Miami stop, I am guessing.....................................................

#1849 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

There has been an interesting analysis of enthusiasm in stopover ports.

Auckland 1st. Itajai a close 2nd

Not expecting much in Miami..

#1850 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

They're working it. Just played the ad again a few minutes ago.

#1851 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,128 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

Miami strikes me as a lot like San Diego, in that there's a lackadaisical, laid back attitude where nobody cares all that much about something like some VOR boat arriving.

A little like when some band, maybe an ABBA, would get a passing glance in Sydney, but be a huge effing deal in a.. band-starved Perth?

Newport is the venue that seems to be taking their ACWS event the most seriously. It will not get Naples numbers but it will be very, very classy by the looks of it.

The second time I met Halsey Herreshof was on the evening of the AC33 Race 2 Victory that won the Cup on Feb 14, 2010 off Valencia.

I accompanied him up the ramp of the Veles e Ventes towards the ceremony. He told me that no other venue in the world considered AC events more importantly than Newport.

#1852 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

I've re-looked at the IJ decision and reckon they fucked up. NOR 5.2.2b is quite clear:

5.2.2 In addition to the sails required to be on board in NOR 5.2.1(a) a Boat may carry on
board sails to a maximum of:
a: 1 Mainsail
b: Headsails (which may include additional HWJ's and storm jibs)

Every other team understood 5.2.2b without the need for a "clarification interpretation" and complied with the NOR: Telefonica sailed leg 4 with 3 headsails which is illegal, and they should have been penalised for it. The protest should have been upheld: the IJ fucked up badly!!

#1853 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,244 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

I've re-looked at the IJ decision and reckon they fucked up. NOR 5.2.2b is quite clear:

5.2.2 In addition to the sails required to be on board in NOR 5.2.1(a) a Boat may carry on
board sails to a maximum of:
a: 1 Mainsail
b: Headsails (which may include additional HWJ's and storm jibs)

Every other team understood 5.2.2b without the need for a "clarification interpretation" and complied with the NOR: Telefonica sailed leg 4 with 3 headsails which is illegal, and they should have been penalised for it. The protest should have been upheld: the IJ fucked up badly!!

Not sure that they fucked up if we beleive Loic Le Bras who wrote that BEFORE the IJ decision:

D’après un membre éminent de Team New Zealand rencontré à Naples, les Espagnols n’écoperont d’aucune pénalité. Ou alors de 1 ou 2 points, ce qui serait dérisoire eu égard à l’infraction commise. Pourquoi ? Pour des raisons politiques ! D’après lui, la Volvo Ocean Race, installée en Espagne, souhaiterait ardemment la victoire finale de Telefonica. On verra si la sanction lui donne raison… ou pas !
Personnellement, ça m’embêterait qu’il ait raison…

A very important member of TNZ met in Naples said that the Spanish would not be penalized. Or, perhaps 1 or 2 points, which would not represent the gravity of the fault. Why ? for political reasons ! The VOR is established in Spane and really hopes for a final victory of Telefonica. Let us see if the IJ decision makes him right,,,or not !

Personnally, I would be very disturbed if he is proven right.

#1854 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

CAMPER APPEALING THE TELEFONICA DECISION

From the horse's mouth.

Camper Team New Zealand are appealing against the decision to dismiss a protest against Team Telefonica as they battle to get themselves back into contention for the Volvo Ocean Race.

The international jury decided the original rule over the number of sails allowed on board for each leg was ambiguous and that Telefonica were reasonable in assuming they were in compliance.

Camper have appealed against the decision, believing Telefonica gained an unfair advantage from carrying the extra sail on board for the fourth leg to Auckland when Telefonica finished third, less than two minutes ahead of the Team NZ boat.

#1855 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

Miami strikes me as a lot like San Diego, in that there's a lackadaisical, laid back attitude where nobody cares all that much about something like some VOR boat arriving.

A little like when some band, maybe an ABBA, would get a passing glance in Sydney, but be a huge effing deal in a.. band-starved Perth?

Newport is the venue that seems to be taking their ACWS event the most seriously. It will not get Naples numbers but it will be very, very classy by the looks of it.

The second time I met Halsey Herreshof was on the evening of the AC33 Race 2 Victory that won the Cup on Feb 14, 2010 off Valencia.

I accompanied him up the ramp of the Veles e Ventes towards the ceremony. He told me that no other venue in the world considered AC events more importantly than Newport.

#1856 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

This will be interesting - it appears the NOR is ambiguous (as posted) as it doesn't specifically state the number of headsails.

If accurate, this is a major screw-up on the part of the OA, but fighting city hall can be a losing proposition.

#1857 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

Err ... [sounds of throat clearing] ... um ... you and Comrade Herreshof might reconsider this statement.

Attached Files

#1858 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

Fighting city hall can be a losing proposition.

Tell that to Ed Hillary.

And Grant Dalton.

#1859 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

Tell that to Ed Hillary.

And Grant Dalton.

I'll give you the honor of sharing it with Grumpy Grant.

Attached Files

#1860 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Tell that to Ed Hillary.

And Grant Dalton.

He's starting to get his Clint Eastwood " Dirty Harry " look down pretty good .

#1861 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

Tell that to Ed Hillary.

And Grant Dalton.

Should we send him a 45 mag to compete the look ?

#1862 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

From the horse's mouth.

Camper Team New Zealand are appealing against the decision to dismiss a protest against Team Telefonica as they battle to get themselves back into contention for the Volvo Ocean Race.

The international jury decided the original rule over the number of sails allowed on board for each leg was ambiguous and that Telefonica were reasonable in assuming they were in compliance.

Camper have appealed against the decision, believing Telefonica gained an unfair advantage from carrying the extra sail on board for the fourth leg to Auckland when Telefonica finished third, less than two minutes ahead of the Team NZ boat.

Good on them. And I believe they'll succeed in overturning the decision: the IJ left themselves wide open for an appeal, with their tenuous attempts at justification for their decision which completely ignored the fact that the other 5 VOR teams had no difficulties understanding the intention of NOR 5.2.2b.

#1863 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

Clutching at straws now, the whole thing is a bit sad really. Dalton has not said a word since AKL about either this debacle or his beloved AC team. Whats going on Bro you seem to get it form "the horses mouth"?

From the horse's mouth.

#1864 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Clutching at straws now, the whole thing is a bit sad really. Dalton has not said a word since AKL about either this debacle or his beloved AC team. Whats going on Bro you seem to get it form "the horses mouth"?

From the horse's mouth.

How's your fundraising for "Youth Sailing"?!? Posted ImagePosted Image Maybe you should hit up the new owners of the Crafar Farms...

#1865 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

Hey look Indie is back. Not too bad actually. The NZ Youth Team did well in GB and IRL but you would not know would you? Good luck on trying to reverse a IJ decision. You and Dalts there?

From the horse's mouth.

How's your fundraising for "Youth Sailing"?!? Posted ImagePosted Image Maybe you should hit up the new owners of the Crafar Farms...

#1866 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

Tell that to Ed Hillary.

And Grant Dalton.

Should we send him a 45 mag to compete the look ?

44 , 45 whatever it takes :)

#1867 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

Well he has had a pineapple up his arse so why not Iker and the rest of the Tele crew?

#1868 NotASailor

NotASailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Err ... [sounds of throat clearing] ... um ... you and Comrade Herreshof might reconsider this statement.

Loved the "Lord of the Cup" poster, I'm keeping a copy if you don't mind! :D

#1869 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,787 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

From the horse's mouth.

Which horse would that be please? What do you say to students who don't properly reference their sources?

How do you appeal an IJ decision then? The whole point of an IJ is that their rulings are final. See RRS 70.5.

#1870 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Sorry please don't think that all Kiwis are as stupid as our bro TK (and Dalton) for that matter.

From the horse's mouth.

Which horse would that be please? What do you say to students who don't properly reference their sources?

How do you appeal an IJ decision then? The whole point of an IJ is that their rulings are final. See RRS 70.5.

#1871 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

sack the lot of them for bringing the sport into disrespect

all these part timers collecting their clip

and failing to understand their own rules

pathetic

why didn't a team just go over the rules with some top lawyers

until they found some ambiguous wording that allowed them to sail direct to the finish and miss all the stops in between

professional fouls are still fouls

which is why all professionalism stinks so bad

to my nose

#1872 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

With you on this one. And they pay for professional race management? Nutless Foreskin should be the first person to be fucked off. How many sponsors for next time?

sack the lot of them for bringing the sport into disrespect

all these part timers collecting their clip

and failing to understand their own rules

pathetic

why didn't a team just go over the rules with some top lawyers

until they found some ambiguous wording that allowed them to sail direct to the finish and miss all the stops in between

professional fouls are still fouls

which is why all professionalism stinks so bad

to my nose

#1873 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,787 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Camper is requesting redress. Not an "appeal". http://www.facebook....317162805023667

"We were very disappointed and surprised that the jury took this action. It seems unfair to us that we lost Leg 4 by under two minutes to a boat that was breaking the rules and carrying an extra sail than us. It's the equivalent of a golfer carrying an extra club in their bag.

Well Nicolson, the IJ has just ruled that Telefónica was not breaking the rules and nobody likes a sore loser.

#1874 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

And you shouldn't. Miami is a horrible sports town. For one home game last season their NFL team needed to conjure up a ceremony celebrating their opponents starting QB to sell out their stadium. And the shady dealings that took place to build a new baseball park are coming to light and the taxpayers are more down on the pro sports teams than ever.

So yeah I wouldn't expect to much.

WetHog

#1875 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Camper is requesting redress. Not an "appeal". http://www.facebook....317162805023667

"We were very disappointed and surprised that the jury took this action. It seems unfair to us that we lost Leg 4 by under two minutes to a boat that was breaking the rules and carrying an extra sail than us. It's the equivalent of a golfer carrying an extra club in their bag.

Well Nicolson, the IJ has just ruled that Telefónica was not breaking the rules and nobody likes a sore loser.

À malin, malin et demi - or: two can play that game

Wasn't Camper protested early on for a clever interpretation of the rules (jib tack or something) too?

#1876 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

And you shouldn't. Miami is a horrible sports town. For one home game last season their NFL team needed to conjure up a ceremony celebrating their opponents starting QB to sell out their stadium. And the shady dealings that took place to build a new baseball park are coming to light and the taxpayers are more down on the pro sports teams than ever.

WetHog

yo yo yo....hol up homie....wat u sayin miami don like sportz? wat chu think rap is aneeway? itz a damn fine sportz. bring on dem yachteez, brotha will show dem how to partay. u no wat im sayin? reprezentin from da 305.

WHAT EXACTLY IS URBAN BEACH WEEK?

The Urban Beach Week is the largest Urban Festival in the world that caters toward the Hip Hop Generation from 21 and over. Around 300,000-350,000 participants make the annual trek to South Beach for 4 days full of fun, food, festivities, entertainment, music and more.

http://www.blackbeac...beachweek1.html

an be chekin da fish tank in brotha's dashboard about 5 minutz inta da videho

#1877 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

The VOR has too many awards.

Even so, we should acknowledge that, once again, Hamish Hooper (Camper) has won the media gong for Leg 5.

This is the bloke that applied for the job and then nearly slipped into dehydration and wrecked himself soon after Camper was launched (and they ran into a typhoon en route to Gisborne).

For Camper, Leg 5 was a gruelling sequence of mushy bulkheads, sagging longitudinals and boredom. Because he was still at sea, Hamish was obliged to keep filing his daily reports. As well as cooking and keeping the "galley" clean.

I would say the genius of Hamish is not his ability to push the right buttons on the Inmarsat broadband thingo. Rather, it is his appreciation for (and ability to capture) the laconic - and often quite subtle kiwi sense of humour.

He has a Seinfeld-like ability to make something out of nothing (eg. Trae's cocktail party; Pammenter's missing teeth).

That is why he deserves the award!

Although I also reckon the April Fools Groupama "only-one-man-on-deck" item was very French. And very good!

Kia ora Hamish!

#1878 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

ProAm race 3 live now here: http://new.livestrea...ace/ItajaiProAm

#1879 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

WetHog

yo yo yo....hol up homie....wat u sayin miami don like sportz? wat chu think rap is aneeway? itz a damn fine sportz. bring on dem yachteez, brotha will show dem how to partay. u no wat im sayin? reprezentin from da 305.

WHAT EXACTLY IS URBAN BEACH WEEK?

The Urban Beach Week is the largest Urban Festival in the world that caters toward the Hip Hop Generation from 21 and over. Around 300,000-350,000 participants make the annual trek to South Beach for 4 days full of fun, food, festivities, entertainment, music and more.

http://www.blackbeac...beachweek1.html

an be chekin da fish tank in brotha's dashboard about 5 minutz inta da videho

Yes, that is definetly the demographic the VOR is looking to attract to their stopover. :lol:

And yes that fish tank in the dash was cool.

WetHog :ph34r:

#1880 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Even so, we should acknowledge that, once again, Hamish Hooper (Camper) has won the media gong for Leg 5.

This is the bloke that applied for the job and then nearly slipped into dehydration and wrecked himself soon after Camper was launched (and they ran into a typhoon en route to Gisborne).

For Camper, Leg 5 was a gruelling sequence of mushy bulkheads, sagging longitudinals and boredom. Because he was still at sea, Hamish was obliged to keep filing his daily reports. As well as cooking and keeping the "galley" clean.

I would say the genius of Hamish is not his ability to push the right buttons on the Inmarsat broadband thingo. Rather, it is his appreciation for (and ability to capture) the laconic - and often quite subtle kiwi sense of humour.

He has a Seinfeld-like ability to make something out of nothing (eg. Trae's cocktail party; Pammenter's missing teeth).

Although I also reckon the April Fools Groupama "only-one-man-on-deck" item was very French. And very good!

Kia ora Hamish!

No objections, Hamish is great, especially the "ask the crew" audio series was big fun, but have you actually read the reports from the other boats? Groupama or Puma or the others? They are as good as Hamish's. So I hope that in the end, each MCM will walk away with at least one of these rewards. They all would deserve it.

#1881 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Kia ora Hamish!

No objections, Hamish is great, especially the "ask the crew" audio series was big fun, but have you actually read the reports from the other boats? Groupama or Puma or the others? They are as good as Hamish's. So I hope that in the end, each MCM will walk away with at least one of these rewards. They all would deserve it.

Give each of them a gong just for being?!? Whatever happened to earning it on merit?!?

#1882 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Haven't you read the rest of my post, only the last line?
The others do a brilliant job too, but to see this, you must read their stuff too. If not, it's you who misses the pleasure.

#1883 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

ProAm race 3 live now here: http://new.livestrea...ace/ItajaiProAm

I watched the race and how did they get by without a checkered flag to show the finish :lol::)

#1884 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Haven't you read the rest of my post, only the last line?
The others do a brilliant job too, but to see this, you must read their stuff too. If not, it's you who misses the pleasure.

I have read the Groupama and Puma offerings: I find the Puma epistles read like they're intended for their home market, likewise Groupama's. Of the two, I enjoy the Gallic nonchalant attitude conveyed, whereas I hardly go looking for new revelations from the Puma MCM.
If the award is based to some degree on the number of eyeball hits the MCM reports get, then Hamish probably benefits from the number of visitors to the ETNZ blog looking for AC information as well as on Camper.

#1885 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yes, I follow them all.

All good!

But I am not a VOR MCM judge!

#1886 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

There is a video of the VOR Itajai awards ceremony here

http://new.livestrea...ace/ItajaiProAm

Stu Bannatyne, Nico et al scrub up nicely.

Wearing jackets and ties.

Whoooooh!

P.S. In my book this pro-am race is a waste of time. What they need is rest. And time to fix boats. Taking sponsors for a sail can wait until later.

#1887 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,128 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Live now
http://www.volvoocea...om/en/home.html

#1888 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Live now

No need to watch, it's sooo booooring.

Posted Image

#1889 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Live now

Posted Image

Monohulls....................................yuk! B)

#1890 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,128 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Live now

Posted Image

I hope they get some wind, or it probably will be.

Also hope they can make it around the course without breaking... ;)

edit, what happened to the Livestream?

#1891 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

ATM it's indeed boring, the dock-out ceremony is over, and now there's no live coverage anymore until the start sequence is started, in about an hour's time.

#1892 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,128 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

ATM it's indeed boring, the dock-out ceremony is over, and now there's no live coverage anymore until the start sequence is started, in about an hour's time.

Freshening up nicely, this could be fun

#1893 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Nice work by team Abu to get back on the water . That must have been quite a thrash.

#1894 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Camper is boned

And unboned by the penalty on puma :)

#1895 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Tripple Simo jibes ,mvery cool .

#1896 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Tele is just damn good. Puma already passing the boat , Abu ,that gave them the penalty , karma ia a beeatchhh.

#1897 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Oh this is rich. tele rounds the wrong mark, goes from first to last . Groupma rolls camper and is now in the lead and puma third.

#1898 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Tele is just damn good. Puma already passing the boat , Abu ,that gave them the penalty , karma ia a beeatchhh.

Tele might be good, but they just fucked up big time rounding the wrong mark. :lol:

And Puma passes another one. ;)

WetHog :ph34r:

#1899 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,128 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Tele might be good, but they just fucked up big time rounding the wrong mark. :lol:

What f*ckup that whole situation was, yikes!

#1900 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

^
Incredible! Glued to the screen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users