3096 replies to this topic

#1901 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

What I am struck by is how mediocre Abu Dahbi is. On the water at least. Their shore crew is certainly top notch. Big budget team that really isn't very good. At least from what I see.

WetHog :ph34r:

#1902 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

And now Groupama screws up, although not as bad as Tele. Camper is inching back. Really exciting race. Is this the only one of the day?

#1903 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

^
Yes, unfortunately.

Tomorrow you can see the start, involving also a short race before they head out into the Atlantic.

#1904 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

^
Incredible! Glued to the screen!

I don't understand it. I mean they only have one hull and not even a hard wing ,how can than this be so interesting ? :lol:

#1905 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Shortened the course, bummer for Puma they were making a move .

#1906 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

^

I don't understand it. I mean they only have one hull and not even a hard wing ,how can than this be so interesting ? :lol:

They are boats for adults, not toy boats. Posted Image

#1907 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

^

Me too - except for the Tele f*ckup it's been a very good race.

Not sure why they are shortening the race... ?

#1908 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Puma crosses Camper. Well done by Kenny and the Boys to fight back.

#1909 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

^

Flukey and shifty winds, apparently. Man, those guys rounded Cape Horn!

#1910 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

If they had not shortened the course it would have been really interesting between puma and camper .

#1911 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

If they had not shortened the course it would have been really interesting between puma and camper .

Yup. Nice effort though by Puma. From last to fighting for 2nd. Puma seems to be hitting its stride after their leg win. I will take a 4 boat race to the finish.

#1912 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Nice job by Group. Being that this is their last shot at the Volvo I am sure they have a good deal of incentive now.

#1913 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

^

It looks like a very interesting day wind wise but it's even for all. I have no idea why they would shorten it.

#1914 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

^

It looks like a very interesting day wind wise but it's even for all. I have no idea why they would shorten it.

Looking forward to hearing from the VOR why they made it so short; and from Tele how they weren't aware of the course change. Did not understand their calling a penalty against Puma either.

#1915 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Looking forward to hearing from the VOR why they made it so short; and from Tele how they weren't aware of the course change. Did not understand their calling a penalty against Puma either.

Don't think a course change was the problem with Tele. They just went around the wrong mark. They went around the white mark at the start/finish line, instead of the yellow. They just screwed it up.

#1916 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Don't think a course change was the problem with Tele. They just went around the wrong mark. They went around the white mark at the start/finish line, instead of the yellow. They just screwed it up.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter if there was a change or not. Groupama right behind them went straight on to the correct mark.

From what KR said, I think it's likely that Puma will be protesting that penalty call. He appeared to argue that on a downhill start then once the gun fires you (AD) need to steer for the mark, not luff to prevent others from doing so. Is a protest an option for them?

#1917 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Did Tele asked for a redress for lack of clarity of the NOR ? :)

#1918 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

They were supposed to go around a orange ball and they went for a white one . Peter Isler did that to us one time in Long beach so I guess it can happen to anyone .

#1919 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Well, I guess it doesn't matter if there was a change or not. Groupama right behind them went straight on to the correct mark.

From what KR said, I think it's likely that Puma will be protesting that penalty call. He appeared to argue that on a downhill start then once the gun fires you (AD) need to steer for the mark, not luff to prevent others from doing so. Is a protest an option for them?

He seems to think he has a clear reason to argue his point and most of the replays seem to agree with him . I was surprised they were flagged but out here in the cheep seats who knows . Time will tell as he has to register his argument shortly .

#1920 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I find it rather humerus that we had more commentary about this event here than on the " official " VOR thread in the Ocean racing forum . Other than everyone arguing against Indio's claims that tele got away with something it was mostly silent .

#1921 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

My understanding would be that AD had the right to luff Puma, before or after the gun, basically any time at all. But the way KR put it has me wondering if there's a proper course rule that comes into play.

Camper did well to avoid the mess at the boat end by not sticking their bow into it; and Tele was even cleaner at the pin end.

Would have preferred a longer race, with much longer legs. They did something like 8 legs in just 45 minutes; these boats clearly aren't cut out for that short a course style, so why do it?

#1922 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

My understanding would be that AD had the right to luff Puma, before or after the gun, basically any time at all. But the way KR put it has me wondering if there's a proper course rule that comes into play.

Camper did well to avoid the mess at the boat end by not sticking their bow into it; and Tele was even cleaner at the pin end.

Would have preferred a longer race, with much longer legs. They did something like 8 legs in just 45 minutes; these boats clearly aren't cut out for that short a course style, so why do it?

Because it is one of the things that helps to pay the bills.

#1923 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

^ But wouldn't a 2 hour, 5 leg race work just as well for paying the bills? And with all those very laborious sail hoists and drops, all those short legs probably costs some extra too. Spins dragging in the water, gennies ripped, gear busted, that all happened today.

Maybe it's the 'in-port' thing that explains the short legs. Still don't get the only-45 minutes though, unless it's for the weekly one-hour TV segments that (credit to VOR) even reach my DVR.

#1924 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Now we're talking. These short races are almost as unsatisfying as the short races in the ACWS. I agree that the longer the better, ahem, you now what I mean.

#1925 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

To ensure a lot of locals come out and cruise the race village, and the sponsor hospitality tents.

Also, once the rain stopped, the commentators kept saying how patchy the wind was getting towards the end of the race. So they shortened it to ensure the boats finished with some speed, and maybe some drama.

#1926 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

^ Well the 45 minute ACWS races almost seem too long; especially for the crew, who must feel beat to death by even 20 minutes of it. Otoh, the 8 minute ESS races are ~really~ short!

A 'day' of 15 to 20 minutes-long match races would be nice to see again.

#1927 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Now we're talking. These short races are almost as unsatisfying as the short races in the ACWS. I agree that the longer the better, ahem, you now what I mean.

Agree 100% . Even with the bad weather there seemed to be a much larger spectator fleet than the Naples event as well .

#1928 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

I find it rather humerus that we had more commentary about this event here than on the " official " VOR thread in the Ocean racing forum . Other than everyone arguing against Indio's claims that tele got away with something it was mostly silent .

I think I'll come back here and beat up on Sailing With Simpleton...at least he bites like a an epileptic hooker!!!

#1929 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

at ETNZ
http://etnzblog.com/#!2012/04/camper-takes-second-in-drama-filled-race

#1930 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

I see the redress action by Camper has disappeared from the ETNZ blog, while nothing has appeared at all on the vulvaoceanrace site since ETNZ announced it. Must be getting terribly filthy under that rug...

#1931 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Not to split hares but: Something about 'vulva' and 'ocean' does work - good one!

#1932 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Not to split hares but: Something about 'vulva' and 'ocean' does work - good one!

That's because you're a sick man like that maxmini dude who's not averse to splitting anything Posted Image

#1933 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

On the website....................no surprise there.....................

The International Jury has rejected a claim for redress from CAMPER in a case related to the recent Telefónica sails protest.
The Jury found this week that Telefónica had not broken any rules regarding their sail inventory for Leg 4, deciding that there was ambiguity in the way the relevant section of the Notice of Race had been written and that a subsequent interpretation could not be applied retrospectively.

Nevertheless, CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand asked the Jury to award them extra points, arguing that the sails used by Telefónica had materially affected the results of Leg 4, in which CAMPER finished just 1 minutes 33 seconds behind Telefónica.

The Jury heard submissions on Friday and deliberated over several hours before deciding to deny the request from CAMPER for regress.

The full decision can be read at the Volvo Ocean Race Noticeboard.

That's because you're a sick man like that maxmini dude who's not averse to splitting anything Posted Image

#1934 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

^ Just quick to the snatch when it cums to (re)undresses :)

Maybe ETNZ dropped it. Nobody else tried that argument, perhaps it was an empty one?

edit: Oh ^^

#1935 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

^ Just quick to the snatch when it cums to (re)undresses :)

Maybe ETNZ dropped it. Nobody else tried that argument, perhaps it was an empty one?

edit: Oh ^^

..as in shooting blanks?!? Posted Image At least Telefornicator got their cum-uppance in the in-port race..

#1936 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

It's a sick world and I'm a happy guy.

Not that I think it will happen but if for some odd reason tele does NOT win this event by at least 20 points then we can look back on this and think it might have had some meaning. I'm pulling for puma first then camper but damn Tele is fast. If they had only stayed on course there would have been at least a 1/4 mile gap from first to second and in a 45 min sprint no less.

#1937 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

On the website....................no surprise there.....................

The International Jury has rejected a claim for redress from CAMPER in a case related to the recent Telefónica sails protest.
The Jury found this week that Telefónica had not broken any rules regarding their sail inventory for Leg 4, deciding that there was ambiguity in the way the relevant section of the Notice of Race had been written and that a subsequent interpretation could not be applied retrospectively.

Nevertheless, CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand asked the Jury to award them extra points, arguing that the sails used by Telefónica had materially affected the results of Leg 4, in which CAMPER finished just 1 minutes 33 seconds behind Telefónica.

The Jury heard submissions on Friday and deliberated over several hours before deciding to deny the request from CAMPER for regress.

The full decision can be read at the Volvo Ocean Race Noticeboard.

You're right: no surprises in the decision. There's an overwhelming shortage of integrity within that collection of self-serving dinosaurs on the IJ. I wonder if they hang out with Sepp Blatter ..

#1938 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

There was one leg where Camper got badly out pointed by (think it was) Groupama. If not for a great layline call, they might have lost to not only them, but to Puma too, let alone Tele..

This next leg is forecast to be mostly a downhill one, right?

#1939 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

« J'étais très proche de faire la même erreur, » confie à son tour Franck Cammas à l’arrivée, « mais Charles Caudrelier m'a montré la bonne bouée ! On a pris la bonne décision et ça a bien marché pour nous cette fois-ci. »

" I was close to make the same mistake (as Tele) " tells Franck Cammas at the arrival. "but Charles Caudrelier showed me the the right buoy ! we took the right decision and it worked well for us this time "

#1940 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

from http://www.vulvaocea...black-mark.html

... "Then it was very confusing, there were two marks and they were very close together and there were many spectator boats around.

"At the moment we were rounding the mark I just didn't see the other mark so I thought the one we were rounding was the good one.

"I didn't even realise after we had rounded the mark. It wasn't until we were sailing with the spinnaker that Capey (Andrew Cape, navigator) said the mark was not the good one.

"To go from first to last because of something like that is not nice and I am not feeling good about today," he added.

"I am very disappointed because this is the first time in my whole life that this has happened. I am so sorry for the shore crew who worked like crazy guys to give us some time for training. Then, to get a result like this is not good."

#1941 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

^

They also shortened the Akld in-port race.

WTF!

#1942 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

This version of the Vulva Ocean Race has rapidly descended into ignominy, courtesy of the organisers and their hangers-on and cling-ons.

#1943 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

This version of the Vulva Ocean Race has rapidly descended into ignominy, courtesy of the organisers and their hangers-on and cling-ons.

Now Now this isn't the Americas Cup we are talking about here . Lets not get crazy :)

#1944 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

Now Now this isn't the Americas Cup we are talking about here . Lets not get crazy :)

You're so right....I just don't know what came over me ....er... I might re-phrase that before Stinger jumps all over it!! Momentary panic attack, yep that's what it was!Posted Image

#1945 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

You're so right....I just don't know what came over me ....er... I might re-phrase that before Stinger jumps all over it!! Momentary panic attack, yep that's what it was!Posted Image

the Vulva and the AC both suffer from the same thing, i went to a yacht race and a tv show broke out.

#1946 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

<<CAMPER welcomes jury ruling

CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand has welcomed the ruling of the international jury on the team's application for redress.

The jury ruled that the Race Committee had failed in its duties in several areas. However, the jury decided not to grant CAMPER any redress as they believed that the omissions of the Race Committee did not make CAMPER's finishing score in Leg 4 significantly worse (In Leg 4 CAMPER finished 93 seconds behind Telefonica).

Part of the conclusion of the International Jury found; The failure to post the answers given to Telefonica on the electronic notice board was an omission of the race committee and the failure of the Race Committee to identify and resolve the inconsistency in application of NoR 5.2.2 (B) until after the conclusion of Leg 4 was an omission of the race committee

CAMPER skipper Chris Nicholson says that despite no redress being granted the team welcomed the ruling.

"We feel strongly that the actions of the Race Committee led to confusion between teams and so it's positive that the jury has recognised this fact. In light of this redress hearing it has become clear to me that Telefonica has not broken any rules."

"We believe that following this ruling that Race Committee processes will be improved and this should avoid a repeat of this type of incident in the future. Now it's time for all of us to move on and focus on sailing."
>>

http://etnzblog.com/...mes-jury-ruling

Yeah, right! Posted Image Posted Image

#1947 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

CAMPER skipper Chris Nicholson says that despite no redress being granted the team welcomed the ruling.

In light of this redress hearing it has become clear to me that Telefonica has not broken any rules.”Posted Image Posted Image

That was clear from the protest hearing. Does Nicholson have to be told twice?

#1948 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

"We believe that following this ruling that Race Committee processes will be improved and this should avoid a repeat of this type of incident in the future.">>

^^
Exactly what they did with a buoy improperly moored yesterday. :)

#1949 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Down, out and unhappy in dreary Itajai!!!!

Attached Files

#1950 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Leg 6 start coming up soon.

Looks like Knut got every Brazilian school kid down to the docks.

#1951 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Fun start. Tele and Puma look fastest so far, like yesterday too.

#1952 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

Interesting tactical call, Puma staying low while the others stay high towards the east. Guess we'll see later how that holds.

OK, back to Kansas, Dorothy.........................;)

#1953 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

I am in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Two RIBs (with 3 outboards) just came into the bay near here.

No sign of those Volvo 70s !

But they will get here eventually.

Won't they?

P.S. I am looking into this big bay. Not a boat in sight. Weired!

#1954 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,118 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Puma is off to a strong start headed back to the states after rolling Tele at one of the mark roundings.

The fleet seems to have spread out pretty quickly and Grant's fire engine is struggling to keep up early on..

#1955 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

OK, back from Kansas, my boy did not win.

Looking to convince the wife to spend a few bucks and take a hike down to Miami for the Volvo weekend.

Wish me luck! B)

#1956 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

^
LUCK!

#1957 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

As far as boat speed goes Tele looks like it is an entire generation ahead of everyone else . Just unbelievable when they are supposedly similar in design. Where do they get their superior speed ? Again they pull 200 meters in only a few min over the rest of the fleet .

#1958 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Now they just need to know how to sail it :) They gave Kenny an opening and he took it ! USA, USA , USA :) :)

#1959 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Yep, Puma got a break.

And now doing 18-19 knots.

Others stuck at 15 knots.

#1960 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Nico's dropped a nm an hour so far: at this rate, they'll miss the start of the next leg!! Posted Image

#1961 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

Deeper and faster, not a bad combo at this point for Puma.

#1962 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

We need Sanya here to do a flier.

To go in a different direction.

AD and Camper are neck-and-neck.

#1963 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Humm, not if the wind reports are correct. Puma sails at a better angle to the wind but and they may not be advantaged within the next days. Anyway, this leg will be the lottery.

#1964 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,118 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

5 miles ahead and 8 miles to leeward of Tele and Groupama with the fleet headed into lighter winds.

Not sure that's a bad position to be in.

#1965 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

This not what I see between + 57h and + 84h. Anyway these forecast have proven totally unreliable....

#1966 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Nico: "If you can get set-up to the east of the fleet you should be able to get more pressure and a better angle than the rest of the guys."

Latest tracker:
Attached File  Camper-Leg6.jpg   78.64K   17 downloads

Must be part of the master strategy.

#1967 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Looks like Puma is consolidating, Camper and Abu falling-off to leeward. Gaps are closing and may get interesting later today.

#1968 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Nico: "If you can get set-up to the east of the fleet you should be able to get more pressure and a better angle than the rest of the guys."

Latest tracker:
Attached File  Camper-Leg6.jpg   78.64K   17 downloads

Must be part of the master strategy.

Seems that Nico agrees with the Sailor ? knowing the track record of the second one, it's not very good news for Camper...:huh:

#1969 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Have a look now, you crabbers. Camper's leading.

#1970 Manfred

Manfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Sailing DN on hard water and all sorts of boats on soft water

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hej, hej, rofl, lol
Richtig gut, Rennie.
Fährst Du nach Venedig?
Grüße M

#1971 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hej, hej, rofl, lol
Richtig gut, Rennie.
Fährst Du nach Venedig?
Grüße M

Falsches Forum für diese Sprache. Posted Image
Nee, keine ACWS dieses Jahr. VOR in Lorient und MOD70 in Nizza sind geplant.
LG - J (RM)

#1972 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hej, hej, rofl, lol
Richtig gut, Rennie.
Fährst Du nach Venedig?
Grüße M

LG - J (RM)

Ya , what she said.

It's a tight little battle at the moment and Camper is taking their turn at the front . Good stuff :)

#1973 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hej, hej, rofl, lol
Richtig gut, Rennie.
Fährst Du nach Venedig?
Grüße M

LG - J (RM)

Forgot to ask, will you?

#1974 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Have a look now, you crabbers. Camper's leading.

El Nico should be more concerned with Tele and Groupama to the east of the fleet - where he thought was the best position to aim for, and then he promptly points Camper west of the fleet.

Nice new feature on Tracker predicting the postions of the boats into the future. Shows Camper dropping to the rear by Rio DJ.

#1975 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

on Shannon Falcone
http://www.americasc...eep-wits-about/

#1976 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

on Shannon Falcone
http://www.americascup.com/en/Teams/ORACLE-Racing/Latest/Blog/2012/04-Apr/Falcone-looks-to-keep-wits-about/

Thought I saw him on Puma during the recent in-port race. Was going to check to make sure and forgot. Good for him, and good luck.

#1977 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

on Shannon Falcone

Thought I saw him on Puma during the recent in-port race. Was going to check to make sure and forgot. Good for him, and good luck.

Is this the same guy who fell off Dogzilla in SD during the early days of testing USA17?

#1978 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Yep!

Saw it happen. Accident-prone? Hard to say but he looks tall, could be an issue.

#1979 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

on Shannon Falcone

Is this the same guy who fell off Dogzilla in SD during the early days of testing USA17?

Yeah thats the guy. Wouldn't say he fell off though. More like one of the small tramps on the DoGy had a failure. :lol:

#1980 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

Go Camper!

In the lead!

By a whisker.

#1981 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,118 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

Looks like the leaders found a hole and are struggling, and Puma is moving along.

#1982 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

Looks like the leaders found a hole and are struggling, and Puma is moving along.

Puma made up 8 miles in the previous sched but lost one mile in the most recent. The entire fleet is doing between 3.1 and 4.1 kts at the moment . Everyone is waiting to see who will break out first .

#1983 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

on Shannon Falcone
http://www.americascup.com/en/Teams/ORACLE-Racing/Latest/Blog/2012/04-Apr/Falcone-looks-to-keep-wits-about/

newly uploaded

#1984 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

The three boats off shore look to be making a move on the inshore pair. Better wind out there by a few Kts at the moment .

#1985 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

The new Ocean Racing Magazine is out, with stuff about the VOR (Groupama) and this time only a bit of AC(WS): http://www.ocean-racing.net/

#1986 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

The new Ocean Racing Magazine is out, with stuff about the VOR (Groupama) and this time only a bit of AC(WS): http://www.ocean-racing.net/

No news is not good news for ACEACRM

#1987 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

at ETNZ

A significant split in the fleet is leading to nervous times for CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand as the team wait to see what side will pay off.

With a large light airs transition zone blocking the fleet’s access to the trade winds the boats have split in search of wind – with CAMPER and Abu Dhabi staying inshore, while Groupama, Telefonica and Puma have headed east and offshore.
http://www.emiratesteamnz.com/#!2012/04/a-nervous-split

#1988 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

at ETNZ

A significant split in the fleet is leading to nervous times for CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand as the team wait to see what side will pay off.

With a large light airs transition zone blocking the fleet's access to the trade winds the boats have split in search of wind – with CAMPER and Abu Dhabi staying inshore, while Groupama, Telefonica and Puma have headed east and offshore.
http://www.emiratest...a-nervous-split

And, in addition, they had to creep around a seismic vessel towing a monster cable.

Shades of the Malacca Straits.

I am checking the race site every few hours.

Someone is about to gain! Or lose!

Nico will not sleep well tonight.

#1989 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Considering the title of the magazine, and the AC is not an ocean race, I am surprised the AC is mentioned at all in the magazine.

For me, it would be like expecting a magazine called "F1 Racing Magazine" to have articles about NASCAR in it. :lol:

#1990 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

at ETNZ

With a large light airs transition zone blocking the fleet's access to the trade winds the boats have split in search of wind – with CAMPER and Abu Dhabi staying inshore, while Groupama, Telefonica and Puma have headed east and offshore.

And, in addition, they had to creep around a seismic vessel towing a monster cable.

Puma looks to be the best-positioned so far. Camper will need to collect on some good luck to hang onto Puma and Telefonica.

#1991 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

at ETNZ

Puma looks to be the best-positioned so far. Camper will need to collect on some good luck to hang onto Puma and Telefonica.

Agreed . The middle seems to have had just a bit more pressure over the past 24 hrs or so giving Puma about a knot more speed over the boats to the left and right. Still waiting for Tele to turn on the burners but its fun to watch in any event .

#1992 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

Agreed . The middle seems to have had just a bit more pressure over the past 24 hrs or so giving Puma about a knot more speed over the boats to the left and right. Still waiting for Tele to turn on the burners but its fun to watch in any event .

Yep., Puma 3k faster than Camper.

And taking the more-offshore route.

#1993 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

Just moved into second place 2.3 miles behind Camper .

#1994 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

Just moved into second place 2.3 miles behind Camper .

And a knot faster than Tele and 2+ knots better than the rest. These two may make the jailbreak.

#1995 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

The predictor on Tracker is not very complimentary of Will Oxley's navigational skills. Posted Image

#1996 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

The predictor on Tracker is not very complimentary of Will Oxley's navigational skills. Posted Image

Sure isn't ! His prediction shows Tele running away once again . Bastards :)

#1997 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

Sure isn't ! His prediction shows Tele running away once again . Bastards :)

Maybe they've sneaked a wing aboard concealed as a headsail Posted Image

#1998 trt

trt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

The predictor on Tracker is not very complimentary of Will Oxley's navigational skills

Carefull Indio, your aniti-aus bias is starting to show through again.

#1999 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

And the cat takes the lead for now . The entire fleet is still within 38 miles of each other as of the moment .

#2000 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

The predictor on Tracker is not very complimentary of Will Oxley's navigational skills

Carefull Indio, your aniti-aus bias is starting to show through again.

How'd you figure that, Einstein?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users