3096 replies to this topic

#2001 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

The new Ocean Racing Magazine is out, with stuff about the VOR (Groupama) and this time only a bit of AC(WS): http://www.ocean-racing.net/

Considering the title of the magazine, and the AC is not an ocean race, I am surprised the AC is mentioned at all in the magazine.

For me, it would be like expecting a magazine called "F1 Racing Magazine" to have articles about NASCAR in it. :lol:

WetHog :ph34r:

There was (still is) a lot of ACWS stuff in the previous magazines, which astonished me at that time. That's why I was mentioning that it is not in the recent one. Shouldn't be, actually, so you are right as such.

EDIT: What broke on Camper?

#2002 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

The new Ocean Racing Magazine is out, with stuff about the VOR (Groupama) and this time only a bit of AC(WS): http://www.ocean-racing.net/

Considering the title of the magazine, and the AC is not an ocean race, I am surprised the AC is mentioned at all in the magazine.

For me, it would be like expecting a magazine called "F1 Racing Magazine" to have articles about NASCAR in it. :lol:

There was (still is) a lot of ACWS stuff in the previous magazines, which astonished me at that time. That's why I was mentioning that it is not in the recent one. Shouldn't be, actually, so you are right as such.

EDIT: What broke on Camper?

What broke on the tracker?? Nothing doing at the moment.

According to the data set though, Camper is fine - no significant gain or loss.

Ahha...here we go.....

The night's biggest mover and shaker PUMA have stolen the lead from CAMPER, who had survived the heart stopping "bang" and explosion of a tack line to hold the lead, before losing it to Ken Read's men.

Camper has the lead again now though

25 Apr 2012, 16:56UTC
Technical problems affect Race Tracker information
Posted Image

Hamish Hooper/CAMPER ETNZ/Volvo Ocean Race

We are currently experiencing technical problems with the Race Tracker which is showing no positions or information.
Our technical team is working on fixing the problem and we will resume normal service as quickly as possible.

We apologise for the inconvenience, but please refer to the Race Dashboard HERE for updated three-hourly positions.

#2003 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Camper back in the lead by just under 3 miles , light fluky air across the track , fun to watch but not so much to be there :D

#2004 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Camper back in the lead by just under 3 miles , light fluky air across the track , fun to watch but not so much to be there :D

Yea, but being surrounded by smiling dolphins is a good omen for Camper.

#2005 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Abu coming to take the lead .4 behind camper , tele giving up on the low road for the moment and coming up to Puma's line who still appear to have the best route for now .

#2006 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Looks like Puma was in the proper spot after all . Third to first in one sched and now a 19 mile gap on second and third. I wonder if those guys all pack anti acid pills on board? VOR racing not good if you have ulcers and if you don't start with them you might end up with some.

#2007 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

Puma has tacked North ahead of the fleet and has reached better pressure - extended their lead on Grants Fire Engine to 17 miles.

Although 56 miles back Groupama seems to have resolved their speed issue.

#2008 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Looking at the " predictor " and it no longer has Tele going into the lead but actually " sinking " at about midnight on the 28th :)

#2009 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

'Close Encounters'

#2010 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

new too
http://etnzblog.com/#!2012/04/in-the-breeze-and-duelling-for-the-lead

#2011 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

Camper-AD match race report

"We crossed only five or six metres ahead of CAMPER'S bow just as darkness broke. It's not often in ocean racing you find yourself in this sort of proximity to a competitor hundreds of miles offshore.
"Both on watch crews managed to get a few verbal jabs in before we rolled them and they headed to the east for a large cloud line."

Looking at the photo, they were close enough to swap food and recipes as well.
Attached File  Camper-AD Matchrace.jpg   61.71K   13 downloads

#2012 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

I am still in Puerto Rico where the trades (and sunshine) are a predictable feature of every day (and night).

They will be flying when they get up here.

#2013 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

I am still in Puerto Rico where the trades (and sunshine) are a predictable feature of every day (and night).

They will be flying when they get up here.

You staying at the Horned Dorset ?

If not you should at least go their for dinner and a drink in the open air bar overlooking the beach.

#2014 southseasbill

southseasbill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

One bit of news I came across related to the round the world race is that Peter Blake's Whitbread winning yacht, Steinlarger II has been bought by the NZ Sailing Trust and will be returning to Auckland next week.

http://www.theauckla...d-back/1357574/

Posted Image

#2015 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

One bit of news I came across related to the round the world race is that Peter Blake's Whitbread winning yacht, Steinlarger II has been bought by the NZ Sailing Trust and will be returning to Auckland next week.

http://www.theauckla...d-back/1357574/

Posted Image

That's great news, and very generous of the owner Stefan Detjen to agree to sell it back.

#2016 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

That's great news, and very generous of the owner Stefan Detjen to agree to sell it back.

Yes, it should never have left in the first place.

But great to get it back.

#2017 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Is Groupama still using its jury rig?

#2018 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Is Groupama still using its jury rig?

No mate!

Their shore crew brought a new rig to Itajai.

And fitted it there.

However, with their current "speed problem" people are wondering about this No. 2 rig.

#2019 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Wind is getting fluky again and bringing the fleet up to Pumas transom. Tele making a big move, the bastards :)

#2020 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Just a short story that may or may not interest you (it will probably sound like a piece by TK without the cultural bit, tho).

Currently I am in Barcelona, and - of course, as I am a woman - visiting Camper stores. I left quite a bit of money in two of them, and what I found most astonishing is that the sales girls all knew about the VOR campaign, and they seem to be proud of their company's engagement. One even knew that the team is from NZ.

Camper itself has the boat's and the skipper's pic (Indio would puke Posted Image) on the bags, as well as the team and boat featured in their recent catalogue. There is a dedicated Camper in the VOR branded corner in every shop, and with every shoe purchase one gets a Camper/ETNZ branded backpack (the cheap one that's more like a bag) as an addon.

All in all I am happy and positively amazed how Camper is using the sponsorship for their PoS activities. Well done!

#2021 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

"Both on watch crews managed to get a few verbal jabs in before we rolled them and they headed to the east for a large cloud line."

"Verbal jabs!"

Naughty!

Some of those words now banned from AC racing?

#2022 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Just a short story that may or may not interest you (it will probably sound like a piece by TK without the cultural bit, tho).

Currently I am in Barcelona, and - of course, as I am a woman - visiting Camper stores. I left quite a bit of money in two of them, and what I found most astonishing is that the sales girls all knew about the VOR campaign, and they seem to be proud of their company's engagement. One even knew that the team is from NZ.

Camper itself has the boat's and the skipper's pic (Indio would puke Posted Image) on the bags, as well as the team and boat featured in their recent catalogue. There is a dedicated Camper in the VOR branded corner in every shop, and with every shoe purchase one gets a Camper/ETNZ branded backpack (the cheap one that's more like a bag) as an addon.

All in all I am happy and positively amazed how Camper is using the sponsorship for their PoS activities. Well done!

Very, very interesting!!!

Hey Grant, did you see this???

#2023 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

+1, it is very interesting.

GD described in a recent interview from Naples about the SKYY sponsorship how, conversely to what one might expect, the current economic climate has caused certain companies to focus on maybe 4 instead of 12 areas, or teams. And how even though the overall sponsorship budget may be lower, those 4 get better.

That may or may not be true of Camper but it's great that they have that much focus on ETNZ either way. The AC campaign part will likely get special focus too.

#2024 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Puma still in the lead , Camper's gain has halted but Tele still gaining and less than a half mile out of second . Funny thing is at the moment all boats in 11 kts of breeze, same point of sail , but tele doing two kts faster ? Damn blue boat .

#2025 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

+1, it is very interesting.

GD described in a recent interview from Naples about the SKYY sponsorship how, conversely to what one might expect, the current economic climate has caused certain companies to focus on maybe 4 instead of 12 areas, or teams. And how even though the overall sponsorship budget may be lower, those 4 get better.

That may or may not be true of Camper but it's great that they have that much focus on ETNZ either way. The AC campaign part will likely get special focus too.

It just goes to prove that if you have a credible product or team, you will pick up sponsors who are keen to get on-board.

#2026 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

And here comes Tele , damn it . Into second and tailing Puma.

#2027 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

Camper's clawed her way back in front of Teletubby

#2028 coxcreek

coxcreek

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

If those weather/wind charts are accurate, Camper hangs in on the reaches okay now but as soon as it goes further aft, she accelerates; (fastest in the gang at the moment) and hence the re-pass on the Telephone.

#2029 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

It got close there for a bit but Puma is slipping away for the moment . Camper second with Tele on their hip. Still can't figure out why Group is not doing better .

#2030 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Still can't figure out why Group is not doing better .

too much effort wasted posing for reality tv cameras, quite obviously; it overrides and destroys all else, why not this too?

#2031 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

It got close there for a bit but Puma is slipping away for the moment . Camper second with Tele on their hip. Still can't figure out why Group is not doing better .

Last I checked their data seemd to show speed. Tracking error?

#2032 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

Still can't figure out why Group is not doing better .

too much effort wasted posing for reality tv cameras, quite obviously; it overrides and destroys all else, why not this too?

WOW someones panties are in a bunch . Having fun yet ? :P

#2033 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

Most of the boats are showing hull speed even or 1 to 2 Kts above wind speed where Group seems to show 1 to 2 kts slower . Granted they are in different weather being over 100 miles behind but I haven't seen them make a positive move mileage wise in a long time

#2034 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

Seems to be up and down, but they have redefined the rear of the fleet for most of the race. Something seems out of place.

#2035 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,232 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

Seems to be up and down, but they have redefined the rear of the fleet for most of the race. Something seems out of place.

Not so often that we can all agree, isn't it ? :)

#2036 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

It's unfortunate facts can be so elusive, but no surprise when drama, BS and agendas enter the picture.

#2037 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

It's unfortunate facts can be so elusive, but no surprise when drama, BS and agendas enter the picture.

I think Group have slipped a little over 35 miles in the last 24 hrs . They did an overboard check to aee if anything was amiss but nothing showed up . Must be frustrating as hell .

#2038 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

What happened to Camper?!?

#2039 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Navigational brain fart?

#2040 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Navigational brain fart?

After trying to get east of the fleet, they finally get there...and then decided to go back west?!

#2041 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,232 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think Group have slipped a little over 35 miles in the last 24 hrs . They did an overboard check to aee if anything was amiss but nothing showed up . Must be frustrating as hell .

The onky objective reason I can see is the new mast, either too stiff, too flexible, not adapted to the sails or the mast rake that changed ? strange and frustrating to go from one of the fastest boat with Tele, to the slowest one.

#2042 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,232 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Well, it seems that you now have a more balanced approach of the ACWS too.

#2043 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

#2044 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Audio, Hamish, 'Things are getting tight'

http://etnzblog.com/#!2012/04/audio-things-are-getting-tight-out-here

#2045 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

Camper & Tele are both flying @ 19+knts - this is tightening up nicely.

#2046 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Camper and tele side by side ten miles behind Puma , nice tight racing so far with these 3 .

#2047 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

Tele and camper still close but Puma slipping away to their biggest lead so far 20 + miles. What will morning bring ?

#2048 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Kazzam Azzam is now over 100 miles back of Puma. That boat is a complete dud. Will a credible challenge for the next VOR even bother using Farr? Can't see why.

#2049 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

3000 mile match race, video
http://etnzblog.com/#!2012/05/video-a-3000-mile-match-race

#2050 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

PUMA, Wall to wall, video
http://www.sail-worl...d- -Video/96705

#2051 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

http://etnzblog.com/...mile-match-race

At least in the VOR we get to see some match race pictures Posted Image.

#2052 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

http://etnzblog.com/...mile-match-race

Looks nice out there.

In Puerto Rico (east of Cuba) the weather is very predictable.

Sunny!

With 20-25 k trades going day and night.

Easy to see why people from northern latitudes like to live here.

Although VOR boats are getting closer, by the time they get into this neighborhood, I will be gone.

#2053 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

At least you find your MR heaven, get your rocks off, in a VOR 3000 mile race leg, in boats not suited or even designed at all for MR'ing. ;)

I'll take the high-intensity ACWS version of MR'ing instead. Just because we did not get to see them, on top of the >2 full hours(!) of live ~and re-playabe~ action from every race day, much of it raw and direct off the boats, does not in any way mean that the MR's are not being contested for. Xlot said that a lot of it was shown live, in Italy, on national television. And, we see the results as proof it is a very big part of the schedule.

If you want to keep arguing that the whole ACWS is just a waste of time, then why all the desperate hunger by everyone here including from you and me for more coverage of it?

#2054 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,232 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

If you want to keep arguing that the whole ACWS is just a waste of time, then why all the desperate hunger by everyone here including from you and me for more coverage of it?

^
Because it should be detached from the AC.
ACWS is more to give a job to sailors than representative of the AC.
Also, I still do not buy, what some syndicates may say, that it helps them find sponsors. Distraction of time, focus and money for the teams.

However it is a good show that should exist in parallel with the AC, which will most probably happen when the cup will be transferred.

#2055 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

^ The ACWS serves several purposes; it is not an either or situation.

The same is true of the 'detachment' that you propose. There's just no doubt in my mind that without all the AC connections in boat type (winged cats), hopeful teams, race courses, common officiating, etc, that it would lose significance and be relegated to such AC-meaningless series as RC44's, M32's, D35's, X40's, or worse for being just another regatta. All those strong AC commonalties and connections help; it's why Bertarelli said he bought so big into it. That guy put his billionaire bucks where his big mouth is.

#2056 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:10 AM

At least you find your MR heaven, get your rocks off, in a VOR 3000 mile race leg, in boats not suited or even designed at all for MR'ing. ;)

I'll take the high-intensity ACWS version of MR'ing instead.

I think we have that figured out by now.

No need to drive that point into the ground, again and again.

Seriously, let it ride. It's beyond old at this point and quickly approaching the "ANY yacht" argument.

#2057 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Comrades ... you have been found guilty of talking AC on a Volvo thread!

Naughty!

Anyway, Camper is closing on Puma. Only 7 miles back.

It seems like Marcellino's baby goes well down wind.

#2058 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

Are you suggesting some humble pie is in the oven ?

#2059 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

Dunno!

Depends on who is first into Miami.

#2060 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

Dunno!

Depends on who is first into Miami.

Camper seems to be performing a lot better since the Chile pitstop but the cat is scratching its way to be first into Miami.

#2061 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

I'll take the high-intensity ACWS version of MR'ing instead. Just because we did not get to see them, on top of the >2 full hours(!) of live ~and re-playabe~ action from every race day, much of it raw and direct off the boats, does not in any way mean that the MR's are not being contested for. Xlot said that a lot of it was shown live, in Italy, on national television. And, we see the results as proof it is a very big part of the schedule.

Apparently and on the contrary to you I am interested in more than one sailing discipline, event, series. I like multis (tris more than cats BTW) and monos, I like MR and FR, ocean racing and inshore. For me, this sport is not either/or but as-well-as. That's why I cannot understand that you belittle the VOR and the WMRT for example while every omission and failure of the ACWS is just as intended/wonderful/exactly what we need. I cannot follow anymore, apparently we have a different view on the sport of sailing and will not reach a common level. Never mind, as I am enjoying the diversity of this sport so much, and do not really care what and how much others enjoy.

My issues with the ACWS are - and I am only repeating what I've been posting for ages, so actually it should have sunk in by now:
- big promises initially, partial delivery in reality - against better advice
- abusing the AC name for the WSL, as now clearly shown by the differences between both events.

The WSL should be decoupled from the AC and everything would be fine. We could see, if teams would go on participating (I think most would) and if it is financially viable. Isn't it actually very sad that a great idea like the ACWS has to hijack (the name of) another competition to be successful? While a boring mono series like the RC44 is growing year after year. And the inventors of the stadium racing, EXSS, prosper and can perform on sponsorship and entry fees. And that that oh so stupid WMRT and its events get title sponsors, while others blame the current economical situation for their failures. A look into other series can help to get a bit of perspective every now and then.

And to disprove your allegation once more that I think the ACWS is a waste of time:
I enjoy the sailing and the broadcast of the ACWS as much as of the WMRT, many other series and the VOR, and now back to the latter:

Camper going back (sched 07:05 UTC)?

#2062 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

If you enjoy the WMRT can you explain how and why it should cost US$40,000 to get a tour card?

Apparently and on the contrary to you I am interested in more than one sailing discipline, event, series. I like multis (tris more than cats BTW) and monos, I like MR and FR, ocean racing and inshore. For me, this sport is not either/or but as-well-as. That's why I cannot understand that you belittle the VOR and the WMRT for example while every omission and failure of the ACWS is just as intended/wonderful/exactly what we need. I cannot follow anymore, apparently we have a different view on the sport of sailing and will not reach a common level. Never mind, as I am enjoying the diversity of this sport so much, and do not really care what and how much others enjoy.

My issues with the ACWS are - and I am only repeating what I've been posting for ages, so actually it should have sunk in by now:
- big promises initially, partial delivery in reality - against better advice
- abusing the AC name for the WSL, as now clearly shown by the differences between both events.

The WSL should be decoupled from the AC and everything would be fine. We could see, if teams would go on participating (I think most would) and if it is financially viable. Isn't it actually very sad that a great idea like the ACWS has to hijack (the name of) another competition to be successful? While a boring mono series like the RC44 is growing year after year. And the inventors of the stadium racing, EXSS, prosper and can perform on sponsorship and entry fees. And that that oh so stupid WMRT and its events get title sponsors, while others blame the current economical situation for their failures. A look into other series can help to get a bit of perspective every now and then.

And to disprove your allegation once more that I think the ACWS is a waste of time:
I enjoy the sailing and the broadcast of the ACWS as much as of the WMRT, many other series and the VOR, and now back to the latter:

Camper going back (sched 07:05 UTC)?

#2063 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

If you enjoy the WMRT can you explain how and why it should cost US$40,000 to get a tour card?

What's the connection between enjoying to watch and understand the organizer's decisions?

What I can imagine is that the WMRT has a business plan that relies on sponsors and entry fees (tour cards). As there is no B to back the tour it makes sense. Does it have to be $40,000? I don't know, saving money elswhere would probably make them cheaper. I am sure that if you come up with a sponsor that covers the tour card fees they will be distributed for free.
OTOH, high entry fees are also a means to deliberately limit the number of participants, to not allow "also-rans" in. Just guessing the reasons here.

#2064 thetruth

thetruth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

No connection on the watching. My point is very simple. It does cost $40,000 for a tour card and sadly the good guys don't do it which makes good old Gilly look like the theif he is. Where is Torvar now? Local boy?

What's the connection between enjoying to watch and understand the organizer's decisions?

What I can imagine is that the WMRT has a business plan that relies on sponsors and entry fees (tour cards). As there is no B to back the tour it makes sense. Does it have to be $40,000? I don't know, saving money elswhere would probably make them cheaper. I am sure that if you come up with a sponsor that covers the tour card fees they will be distributed for free.
OTOH, high entry fees are also a means to deliberately limit the number of participants, to not allow "also-rans" in. Just guessing the reasons here.

#2065 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

^ The ACWS serves several purposes; it is not an either or situation.

The same is true of the 'detachment' that you propose. There's just no doubt in my mind that without all the AC connections in boat type (winged cats), hopeful teams, race courses, common officiating, etc, that it would lose significance and be relegated to such AC-meaningless series as RC44's, M32's, D35's, X40's, or worse for being just another regatta. All those strong AC commonalties and connections help; it's why Bertarelli said he bought so big into it. That guy put his billionaire bucks where his big mouth is.

Did I miss something?

Or did you type a faux pas?

Looking for Puma to get home first, they seem to have upped their game since the previous leg.

#2066 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Looks like we have a horse race on our hands now, or is it a match race ? .

#2067 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yes, the race into Miami is getting VERY interesting.

So close!

#2068 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Don't mention that here..................................................... :ph34r:

#2069 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Don't mention that here..................................................... :ph34r:

Too late, has already been mentioned above. Posted Image

#2070 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Lets hope it flies under the radar of the AC police.

#2071 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Oh dear, Camper are running out of toilet paper.

Now, which manual do we tear up first?

Maybe the radar book?

Or some of those compelling reading materials produced foir rae's "cocktail party?"

And AD are running out of food.

Whatever!

#2072 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

If Puma gets to the 'green' arrows first she may be gone. It looks like a nice lane of green up to the islands and into the Carribean. Hit the afterburners!

#2073 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

Lets hope it flies under the radar of the AC police.

Sheesh.. Lol. Hey, it was ETNZ that labelled it as such, in a blog entry above.

And yes, really amazing how tight this is. Got me to downloading the app, even.

#2074 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

'champagne sailing'

#2075 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

Looking for Puma to get home first, they seem to have upped their game since the previous leg.

Upped their game, or hitting their stride?

Seems like they have fully recovered from their mast issue from Leg 1. Hopefully in time to push hard enough to convince Puma to put their name on another boat for Kenny in the next edition.

#2076 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

without their extra sails

tele can no longer walk away

#2077 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

Camper half a mile behind Puma.

Bring out the taniwha!!!

#2078 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

This is a great drag race between the 3 of them. I'm picking Camper to finally do the deal..

#2079 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

It is getting tight. Even Group is within 85 miles of the leaders . Thats the closest they have been in weeks .

#2080 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

It is getting tight. Even Group is within 85 miles of the leaders . Thats the closest they have been in weeks .

I think they've got just on 7 days to go so it's still wide open. With the nice weather, the crews will be enjoying themselves as well.

#2081 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

I think they've got just on 7 days to go so it's still wide open. With the nice weather, the crews will be enjoying themselves as well.

Yes there is lots of racing yet to come . Fun stuff indeed.

#2082 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Jeez ... Groupama hoisted their camera bloke to the top of the mast.

And then winched up Brad Marsh. To be interviewed well above the deck.

Pretty amazing shots from up there! [give him the prize]

Concerning the race, I am rooting for Camper.

But you have to wonder what those Olympic gold medallists on Telefonica have inside their T-shirts?

#2083 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

I am no longer in Puerto Rico.

But am very impressed with the consistency of winds there.

Day and night.

I was at an event where, part of the tradition is for Mexicans to hire the best rooms around and haul out their tequila.

This time it was on the 22nd floor of a Hilton Hotel (in San Juan) with a big walk-out patio thingo.

Even at midnight, those nice cool 20 knot tropical breezes are piling in.

I once sailed from Georgetown (Bahamas) down to Great Inagua. Then down the Windward Passage to Jamaica (Haiti to port; Cuba on starboard).

My mate John (an Aussie) wouldn't put up a sail until it was blowing at least 20k.

It was a former racing boat (a ketch) from Newport and, standing watch at night, I would shut off the self steering, imagine myself in the Volvo race and drive it. THe sweet spot was at about 25 to 27 k of wind.

Pretty memorable.

And I formed a close friendship with their son that endures to this day. He was living on the boat. "Home" schooling etc.

I understand why people from cold climates decide to live among those beautiful islands.

But why does the US maintain an enormous garrison in Puerto Rico?

Cuba is just over there.

Yeah ... right!

#2084 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

But am very impressed with the consistency of winds there.

Day and night.

I was at an event where, part of the tradition is for Mexicans to hire the best rooms around and haul out their tequila.

This time it was on the 22nd floor of a Hilton Hotel (in San Juan) with a big walk-out patio thingo.

Even at midnight, those nice cool 20 knot tropical breezes are piling in.

I once sailed from Georgetown (Bahamas) down to Great Inagua. Then down the Windward Passage to Jamaica (Haiti to port; Cuba on starboard).

My mate John (an Aussie) wouldn't put up a sail until it was blowing at least 20k.

It was a former racing boat (a ketch) from Newport and, standing watch at night, I would shut off the self steering, imagine myself in the Volvo race and drive it. THe sweet spot was at about 25 to 27 k of wind.

Pretty memorable.

And I formed a close friendship with their son that endures to this day. He was living on the boat. "Home" schooling etc.

I understand why people from cold climates decide to live among those beautiful islands.

Cuba is just over there.

Yeah ... right!

Never been to PR, but I have been to Aruba several times and it blew a nice 20 everyday. Cut down on the lizards and it could be a nice place for me to spend the rest of my life.

As for the military presence? For the same reason the US maintains our nice spread in Cuba, because we can. Me personally, it's long since past time for my country to do away with bases on foreign soil. Time for people to take care of themselves and the US to focus inward. Never gonna happen though.

WetHog

#2085 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

Cuba is just over there.

Yeah ... right!

Because if we don't, someone else will, and they might not be friendly.

In the early sixties we had a small problem with some missiles that had nuclear tips set-up on them.

90 miles away from our shores, 'over there', with a dictator threatening to punch the button.

Now, you get all excited when a nuclear powered ship would get near your shores, banning them, I believe. How would you feel with nuclear tipped weapons 90 miles away from Aeotorea, and a trigger happy dictator with an itchy finger? (sorry if the spelling is off)

It's a pain to have to do it, but if we don't, someone else will, unfortunately.

#2086 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

^ 50 f*kin years ago..

The US should drop the walls, just like Reagan challenged Russia/Germany to do, on the Canada, Cuba, and Mexico borders.

They did it, are we too chicken-shit to do the same when challenged?

May 1.... some good points beng made yesterday by the Anarchists. I know.. PA..

#2087 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

^ 50 f*kin years ago..

The US should drop the walls, just like Reagan challenged Russia/Germany to do, on the Canada, Cuba, and Mexico borders.

They did it, are we too chicken-shit to do the same when challenged?

May 1.... some good points beng made yesterday by the Anarchists. I know.. PA..

? WTF

#2088 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

^^^

PUI (posting under influence)

#2089 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

How would you feel with nuclear tipped weapons 90 miles away from Aotearoa, and a trigger happy dictator with an itchy finger?

First, I would take a good bottle of wine and go there for a chat. I would not see a monster garrison as a viable option. This is not the movies!

Second, I would call in my best advisors and ask "how did we get into this situation?"

When they told me it was because of supporting a corrupt dictator (Batista), coupled with a morbid (and irrational) fear of Communism, followed by an inhumane boycott, coupled with stomping on countries - such as Canada - that dare to defy the boycott, I would say "Holy shit, it must be settled ... we should reach out to them."

Of all the recent Presdents who could have settled the situation by reaching-out to Cuba, I hoped Clinton could do it.

I have the same hopes for Obama.

But, of course, with the hanging chads and Cuban-exile beer bellies in Florida, it is not going to happen.

You will not be surprised to learn I like Cuban people. And I adore the way music pervades their sure-footed culture.

Which, despite having a large, nuclear-armed and hostile foreign neighbour, seems secure.

Canadian P.M. Pierre Trudeau told Washington where to stick their boycott and reached out to Castro.

As a result, Castro went to Canada for Trudeau's funeral.

I wish Obama would launch behind-the-scenes talks with Cuba. Having been there - and discussed it with a few academics at Havana University - I know there could be a settlement.

The U.S. will have stop fearing Reds under the beds and realize Cubans are human beings. Who, in my experience, are interesting and nice.

#2090 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

Jeez, I wonder if those Commie Cubans could grab a RIB and run toilet paper over to Camper?

Or would this constitute "outside assistance?"

#2091 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Because if we don't, someone else will, and they might not be friendly.

It's a pain to have to do it, but if we don't, someone else will, unfortunately.

You missed these two points completely.

But since this is SAAC, and not SAPA, I will drop it.

Maybe you should also?

#2092 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

The U.S. will have stop fearing Reds under the beds and realize Cubans are human beings. Who, in my experience, are interesting and nice.

Cubans are human beings. And the ones I ran into in Florida were for the most part nice, and very interesting. Not sure what your point is though.

I would think your opinion of the US policy towards Cuba is a good thing. If the US had the same relationship with Cuba that it has with, say, Mexico, then these interesting and nice Cubans you speak about would be subjected to all you have said is bad about us American's on this site for years now.

McDonald's on every corner. Casino resorts on every beach. Cars from this century.

You really want that?

#2093 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Cubans are human beings. And the ones I ran into in Florida were for the most part nice, and very interesting. Not sure what your point is though.

I would think your opinion of the US policy towards Cuba is a good thing. If the US had the same relationship with Cuba that it has with, say, Mexico, then these interesting and nice Cubans you speak about would be subjected to all you have said is bad about us American's on this site for years now.

McDonald's on every corner. Casino resorts on every beach. Cars from this century.

You really want that?

Being in Florida I have known many a person of Cuban descent. Like most nationalities/heritages, some are good, some are bad. But as you say, mostly good.

But heavens no, who would want any of our Bad American stuff on their shores.

OK, off the PA on AC topic for good.

#2094 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

http://new.livestream.com/camperemiratesteamnz/leg6/videos/653337

#2095 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

You really want that?

Err ... I do not want post-Castro Cuba to be overwhelmed by US-style KFC and big box stores.

However, there are all sorts of underground NGO contacts around sports, education and culture.

And I would like the U.S. to give that kind of thing the full go ahead.

There is no question the US boycott has put enormous strain on daily life in Cuba. Where most people cannot live on the money they make at work.

So they all have second jobs. And too many are reduced to doing socially unprofitable things (like prostitution).

However, their education system is sound. And, despite the shortage of drugs, sutures etc their health-care is good.

The average citizen does not want to be part of the U.S.

But, like other nations, Cuba needs civil liberties and citizens should be allowed to make a decent living and have good schools for their kids.

If Obama was to get on a plane and go and have a chat with Raoul it would be a very good thing.

The beer bellies in Florida would yowl and yelp about consorting with Coms.

But, when you realize Nixon "opened" China, what is so terrible about talking to Cuba?

Alternatively, Larry could get the job done by hosting the AC off the Malecon in Havana.

Oh what a beautiful place it is!

#2096 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

http://new.livestrea...6/videos/653337

What are you doing interrupting TK's political speaking with that 'sailing' stuff???? :angry:

You should be concentrating on Cuba.............................

#2097 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

http://new.livestrea...6/videos/653337

What are you doing interrupting TK's political speaking with that 'sailing' stuff???? :angry:

You should be concentrating on Cuba.............................

Ha!

Was thinking it must be quite stressful for the VOR guys sailing at night.

Camper are keeping a close eye on Puma's nav lights (and radar image).

Even so, it is a bit of a chore to sail a boat at night. In the same manner as a bright sunny day.

Or maybe it is just the same.

I will give Raoul Castro a call and ask him!

#2098 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,117 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

(from a phone)

Does that Livestream really work? It's a live video feed from Camper?

edit, it must be an 'episode' one can replay?

#2099 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Was thinking it must be quite stressful for the VOR guys sailing at night.

More so for Clean, my boss, and the guys who just raced to Isla Mujeres, making sure to stay out of range of the Castro Brothers welcoming committees before crossing the stream and heading into the island. I hear the accomodations the brothers provide are really charming...............................

#2100 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

(from a phone)

Does that Livestream really work? It's a live video feed from Camper?

edit, it must be an 'episode' one can replay?

It is not live, and it will show up on Camper's and/or ETNZ's YT channel soon, I recon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users