Volvo Boats In For a Thrashing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3096 replies to this topic

#3001 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,068 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

A green boat winning Ireland. Doesn't it sound right ?

#3002 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

Pretty poor coverage of the finish, no live video?? :(

What? Live video since hours, the first time this edition: http://new.livestrea...ooceanrace/Leg9

It's been cutting out, no vid of Puma's finish.

#3003 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

What? Live video since hours, the first time this edition: http://new.livestrea...ooceanrace/Leg9

Yes, I understand. From the stream "Commentary coming up in a few seconds!"

EDIT: What a frenzy, and it is in the middle of the night in the middle of the week! Amazing, or as ACEA would say "awesome".

#3004 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

Yes, I understand. From the stream "Commentary coming up in a few seconds!"

EDIT: What a frenzy, and it is in the middle of the night in the middle of the week! Amazing, or as ACEA would say "awesome".

I liked the lead-in showing how the race started and how it was coming in to the finish.

#3005 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

Attached File  VOR1 2012 Miami.jpg   78.34KB   4 downloads

#3006 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Attached File  C-Shoes - Kopie.JPG   13.87KB   11 downloads

#3007 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

Attached File  C-Shoes - Kopie.JPG   13.87KB   11 downloads

'Happy Feet'

#3008 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

Congrats to Camper. Nice going Nico and the boys!

#3009 Mexican

Mexican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

Thank fuck that's over. Something about these long races with tight finishes. Way too exciting for me.

They may as well go to OD boats. It's not as though the extra cost of custom design has benefited any team particularly.

Mex

#3010 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

Securing sponsors can be an ordeal.

Meeting after meeting. And then "wait outside ... we will let you know." [Blake had some excruciating stories about the indignity of this process]

Grant said Camper was not like that.

One meeting and "yes, we are in."

They must be happy with their decision. Even Renny bought their shoes!

So I am hoping by this time tomorrow they will have committed to the next VOR.

It would be a relief for TNZ if they get a very early commitment.

#3011 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:00 AM

Within minutes of this thread being launched, predictable (usually grumpy) parties in the SF Bay area said it was not necessary and the idea boats were in for a "thrashing" on the first night was bizarre.

What does the Volvo have to do with the AC blah, blah, blah?

At first I thought Volvo/AC communalities mostly concerned the people involved - like Trae, Kenny Read et al.

But, as things developed, there were useful discussions comparing VOR media strategies with AC struggles to get something good on screens around the world.

Other overlaps emerged when boats started breaking and some wondered if this was a preface to SF, 2013.

But the biggest communality was the fact these are both global events struggling for a viable future in the midst of economic problems and large-scale disagreements about how to orchestrate big events.

Despte SF-based attempts to derail this thread, there have been 73,000 "views" and 3009 "posts." And we are not quite finished.

There were times when posters in the Ocean Racing VOR threads were quoting stuff from here.

I would have preferred it if Camper won the Volvo Ocean Race.

But Cammas/Groupama are worthy winners.

In Auckland I watched their shore crew repair a nasty hole forward of their keel and got the sense they would be the eventual winner.

Their reaction to the downed mast pretty well sealed the deal.

#3012 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

Do you mean like this, or like this, or maybe like this ?

#3013 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

I guess the James family is a competitive bunch, winning a XC60 is pretty big deal though:
Posted Image

#3014 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,068 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

That was a excellent thread TK, and the action, the drama, during 8 months has been able to fill the gaps between the ACWS. Excellent complement.

As for our opiniated grumpy Bay Sailor, well, strange that he did not come back with one of his Barnum theory like "if Camper had covered GP4 around the world they would have won" . :unsure:

#3015 SimonN

SimonN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Got to say I am pretty happy for Nico and the boys. I think they have been the best team out there, hampered by having a boat that has been anythinmg but optimal. Unfortunately for them, the boat's sweet spot wasn't quite in the right place and to have finished 2nd in that boat is a huge achievement. I hope Nico gets another chance and next time, in a boat that is equal to the fleet. Give him such a boat and I think he would be unbeatable.

#3016 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Within minutes of this thread being launched, predictable (usually grumpy) parties in the SF Bay area said it was not necessary and the idea boats were in for a "thrashing" on the first night was bizarre.

At first I thought Volvo/AC communalities mostly concerned the people involved - like Trae, Kenny Read et al.

But, as things developed, there were useful discussions comparing VOR media strategies with AC struggles to get something good on screens around the world.

Other overlaps emerged when boats started breaking and some wondered if this was a preface to SF, 2013.

But the biggest communality was the fact these are both global events struggling for a viable future in the midst of economic problems and large-scale disagreements about how to orchestrate big events.

Despte SF-based attempts to derail this thread, there have been 73,000 "views" and 3009 "posts." And we are not quite finished.

I still don't think this thread should of been started in this forum. The VOR is an ocean race. There is an entire forum for that type of racing for a reason. Having said that, my involvement in this thread stems from the turd burglars that frequent the OR forum (mainly that douche Mad) who belittle and try to intimidate people they find inferior. Getting into internet pissing contests with them was not worth my time so I commented on the VOR in here.

So pat yourself on the back all you want, TK, but know you had some real pecker heads to assist you in making this thread popular. ;)

WetHog :ph34r:

#3017 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

As for this edition of the VOR, man it was fun to follow. At least till Lorient. Finishing the VOR on a puddle jump like Lorient to Galway really was a downer for me after so many long and exciting legs. Why not for the next edition race from Galway back to Alicante? Finish where the friggin race started? Just feel like the last leg of the race should of been on par with the Legs that led up to it.

And is this the end of KR and Puma's involvement in the VOR? I get that impression. If I remember correctly KR didn't seem to excited about a VOR in OD boats. And following up a 2nd place finish in PUma's first VOR with a 3rd must be very disappointing for the folk at Puma. Considering Puma's involvement with the AC do they cut off their VOR ties and stick with the AC, or continue to build the relationship they started in the sailing community and the VOR? Regardless, I hope KR gives it one more shot. IMO, he is easily the most likeable personalty in this edition of the VOR. So candid and accessible. I hope he gives it one more shot.

#3018 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I still don't think this thread should of been started in this forum. The VOR is an ocean race. There is an entire forum for that type of racing for a reason. Having said that, my involvement in this thread stems from the turd burglars that frequent the OR forum (mainly that douche Mad) who belittle and try to intimidate people they find inferior. Getting into internet pissing contests with them was not worth my time so I commented on the VOR in here.

So pat yourself on the back all you want, TK, but know you had some real pecker heads to assist you in making this thread popular. ;)

Exactly, I felt a bit more "at home" posting here, especially for the emotional stuff, while lurking in the Ocean Racing forum for the real information. First, I was also annoyed to have this thread in the AC forum, later it was convenient to have it here. In the end this forum is like a bar where you know the locals and chat with them about anything. As long as it isn't too over the top and the OT restricted to one thread, no harm is done.

EDIT: The last from the inport race...

Attached File  P1040016.JPG   279.8KB   4 downloads

Attached File  P1040030.JPG   291.37KB   6 downloads

Attached File  P1040126.JPG   269.1KB   7 downloads

#3019 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

For the thread being here, I learned FAR more about the VOR than I otherwise would have and am glad for it having done that. Learnt some about locations, currents and wind patterns too, quite a Geography lesson especially around the Horn.

#3020 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Attached File  P1040162.JPG   201.05KB   2 downloads

Attached File  P1040189.JPG   253.19KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1040206.JPG   304.35KB   0 downloads

#3021 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Attached File  P1040215.JPG   294.15KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1040293.JPG   264.21KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1040301.JPG   279.51KB   0 downloads

#3022 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

This thread was OK to be here, there were/are some AC connections, mostly the ETNZ/Camper team. Like Renn said it was located at the regular stop, so more comfortable. It also was a good guide on a well produced programming event, and hints of further enhancements for next time. Like the RC44's it was fun to run down to Miami and get to see them up close, and be fortunate to get more than I bargained for.

It was also raced in 'boring' monohulls, which I like. We had some great on-scene reports from Renn and others out there at the various venues, with many of the SAAC posters finding gems of information and giving a heads-up to the rest of us on items many of us might have missed.

So, it was OK in my book.

#3023 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

^ Really? That would be impressive.

Hope for your sake that happens, although would prefer that the ocean legs points-leader also wins overall, whoever that is.

Perhaps RG explains it better than me:

"Camper sailed by Emirates Team New Zealand surprised most of their fans, not so much with the win on Leg 9 of the Volvo Ocean Race, but on being hoisted into a near unassailable second overall on the overall points.

With just an InPort race remaining in which Camper have to come away with zero points, and for Camper to lose second overall, the current third placed yacht, Puma Ocean Racing, must win that final race. To get the single point, all Camper has to do is start, and not get disqualified. Sounds simple enough, but then this is the Volvo Ocean Race - where nothing can be taken for granted."

#3024 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

And is this the end of KR and Puma's involvement in the VOR?

Puma likes selling shoes to everyone. Not just an elite.

So the AC is not the right demographic for them.

The global nature of the VOR - and the stopover in China - is big for them.

If I was Puma and had to choose where to put the $$$$ it would be the VOR.

#3025 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Exactly, I felt a bit more "at home" posting here, especially for the emotional stuff, while lurking in the Ocean Racing forum for the real information. First, I was also annoyed to have this thread in the AC forum, later it was convenient to have it here. In the end this forum is like a bar where you know the locals and chat with them about anything. As long as it isn't too over the top and the OT restricted to one thread, no harm is done.

Yes, this is also my feeling.

#3026 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

Has the JuanK interview with VSail been brought up in this thread yet? I am just reading Part II and I ran into this right off the bat:

VSail.info: I think we covered the issue of the future one-design boat exhaustively. Letís now switch our focus to the current race and the current boats. The entire fleet, with no exception, suffered severe breakages throughout the race, raising concerns about their seaworthiness. Do you agree that they have been designed too close to the edge, compromising seaworthiness for speed?

Juan Kouyoumdjian: I disagree with that although it all depends on your definition of the word ďsevereĒ. None of the boats we designed had to stop racing because of any damage. The most serious issue was on Telefonica that stopped for more or less 12 hours and I wouldnít call that severe since she could have continued as she was although at slower pace.

VSail.info: Correct me if Iím wrong but both Puma and Groupama dismasted, forcing them to either retire from a leg or stop for a few days in order to make the necessary repairs. Wouldnít you call that ďsevereĒ?

Juan Kouyoumdjian: We didnít design the rigging on these two boats. However, what seems a little bit worrisome, at least to me, about this race, especially because itís a very important race for all of us, is that this notion of reducing budgets is not new. Actually, budgets were reduced in this edition but this didnít bring more teams. If we want to focus too much on the teams that want to spend less what will happen to the teams that donít? There are such teams and, actually, there is a team that isnít doing this race because precisely they were not specifically budget driven.

VSail.info: I donít understand. Are you saying that a potential team didnít enter the current Volvo Ocean Race edition because they wanted to spend more money?

Juan Kouyoumdjian: Yes, it was Ericsson. What they basically said was ďWe want to re-enter the race but we want to do it with our philosophy, which means two boats, two-boat testing, development and involvement from our partĒ. Knut Frostadís reply was ďNo way, Iím not going to allow itĒ and Ericsson decided not to go ahead. At that time there was a notion of budget limit but that proposal was then withdrawn. There are teams that are not directly driven by budget.

Defending Champion didn't defend its title because it two boat test? Couldn't spend MORE MONEY than allowed? Aint that some shit!

You can join me in reading the rest of that interview here:

http://www.vsail.inf...n-race-part-ii/

#3027 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

^ Yep, interesting opinions by JK on several counts.

Slightly OT but I wonder who he's pointing the finger at, over quality control in the production of Telefonica's rudders? Was it Persico?

#3028 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,068 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

VSail.info: Even if you donít have the fastest 70-foot trimaran it will always be faster than a VO70 and it will allow you to cut the duration of the legs, letís say from two-three weeks down to 10 days.

Juan Kouyoumdjian: Multihulls is definitely a way to do that and it could be a good way of reducing costs as well.

#3029 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

VSail.info: Even if you donít have the fastest 70-foot trimaran it will always be faster than a VO70 and it will allow you to cut the duration of the legs, letís say from two-three weeks down to 10 days.

Juan Kouyoumdjian: Multihulls is definitely a way to do that and it could be a good way of reducing costs as well.

Having recently been won over towards multi's in the AC by what I witnessed in Newport, I think multi's in the VOR would be a mistake. To me, the duration of the legs, and more importantly the duration of the race itself, is what makes the VOR interesting to me. Its what reality TV should be, IMO. A year long competition of struggles and triumph between competing teams and man vs Mother Nature. Way more interesting and compelling to me than watching a low income and/or low IQ 16 year old birth and raise a child. Shortening the legs, and the race, would be a disaster, IMO.

#3030 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

The MOD70 series won't go around the Horn but it could get pretty gripping all the same. They raced Newport to NY today, will race across the Atlantic next. Those f*ckers look fast!

#3031 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

VSail.info: Even if you don't have the fastest 70-foot trimaran it will always be faster than a VO70 and it will allow you to cut the duration of the legs, let's say from two-three weeks down to 10 days.

Having recently been won over towards multi's in the AC by what I witnessed in Newport, I think multi's in the VOR would be a mistake. To me, the duration of the legs, and more importantly the duration of the race itself, is what makes the VOR interesting to me. Its what reality TV should be, IMO. A year long competition of struggles and triumph between competing teams and man vs Mother Nature. Way more interesting and compelling to me than watching a low income and/or low IQ 16 year old birth and raise a child. Shortening the legs, and the race, would be a disaster, IMO.

Agree! Two things about this VOR were disappointments to me... One was that the legs were so short. Even shorter would really interfere with the challenge we were watching. The other issue I have really has to do with rules. The pure-luck nature of who is winning, and who is losing makes me feel this whole thing was a bit of a farce.

Caveat: I actually think the right boat won. But I shouldn't have to 'think' that. It should be obvious. What I don't think is at all clear is that the order after 1st is right. I know, it doesn't really matter. There is no second, but I think it is illustrative.

My feeling comes from the fact that all of the boats had significant breakages. And they had them in part because the rules are written in such a way that you can get outside assistance to finish if this happens so designers were cutting it closer than otherwise. The pure luck comes in is WHERE the breakage happens. Puma breaks its mast in the middle of nowhere, and it gets zero points because there is no convenient marina nearby. Tele delaminates in a position where they can stop and fix, and ... no problem. Actually accidentally almost makes them win the leg. And GPMA is dismasted in friendly marina land, and they finish on the podium, and with extra rest. This randomness is not good for the sense of fairness and reward for performance of the crews. I for one can't help but feel that the deciding factor was often not really sailing, but other things. Fortunately, I think it is pretty clear that GPMA would have gotten the same place if they had jury rigged from the point of dismasting... which is why I think they are the legitimate winners. But if Tele or Camper had won, I'd think it was tainted by their outside assistance at the Horn.

I know that gaming the risks is part of the game, but I think the game would be a more interesting game this luck factor was reduced. If for instance, it was permissible to stop, but not to get outside assistance. Then we would see jury rigs race, and a test of people's ingenuity if they run into trouble. And in the new one design era, I don't think this need is reduced. Sure it takes out their 'gaming' the build spec, but it doesn't change that the uncertainty of breakages in good vs. bad places. And for me, that last factor really adds nothing to the test, but does remove credibility from the result.

Anyway, the outcome I think was right, but for me at least, a bit unsatisfying. I think some simple rule changes could fix it up. Elimination of outside assistance for one? WDYT?

#3032 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Re: WDYT

I think The Race, in monster multihulls, is more compelling. Going to slower VOR65 OD's with just 8 crew is a setback, it goes backwards instead of forwards.

But a lot of it could be still interesting to follow, even at say, six boats. Don't see the need to increase that number, it worked out fine this time.

#3033 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

I think The Race, in monster multihulls, is more compelling. Going to slower VOR65 OD's with just 8 crew is a setback, it goes backwards instead of forwards.

But a lot of it could be still interesting to follow, even at say, six boats. Don't see the need to increase that number, it worked out fine this time.

I concurr in that less spectacular is not good. And your point of 6 boats... I agree with too. This edition was not a good benchmark for 6 participants since most of the race, there were only 3-4 on the course. With six consistently present competitive boats, I think it would be ok.

But if they went to faster boats, I'd want longer legs. These last two seemed like too much of a lottery to me. Add that to the breakage lottery, and I think you depreciate the massive efforts of the sailors.

#3034 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

Galway has a lot of stuff for kids at their VOR village.

Did I hear Martin Tasker (or someone) say 100,000 turned out at 2 a.m. on a rainy Irish night?

If so, guess which port will get another crack at the VOR next time round?

Also, what do you make of JK claim about Ericsson boycotting this edition of the race because of no 2-boat testing?

#3035 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

One race Franck Cammas didn't win!!

#3036 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Ken Read interview
http://m.askmen.com/...-interview.html

#3037 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

I concurr in that less spectacular is not good. And your point of 6 boats... I agree with too. This edition was not a good benchmark for 6 participants since most of the race, there were only 3-4 on the course. With six consistently present competitive boats, I think it would be ok.

But if they went to faster boats, I'd want longer legs. These last two seemed like too much of a lottery to me. Add that to the breakage lottery, and I think you depreciate the massive efforts of the sailors.

Although this edition was absulutely thrilling, it's the more boats the better. Of course there is no need for other series to have more boats than six when this is the max. number of participants in the AC. But Knut has committed to eight, apparently this is what Volvo requires, and so it is what it is.

For the sake of diversity I am happy that not another series goes multihull, I love rough Southern Ocean legs too much and would miss them. Those who want to sail/watch multis have enough choice or can set up their own RTW series, so I don't really understand the people who again and again associate the VOR with that change. Seems like it won't happen for the next two editions anyway, this horse is dead, as are monos for AC34 and probably beyond. But it's so much fun running in circles...

#3038 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

I do find it funny that the VOR has basically copied off of what has been done in the AC, to a point, in the hopes of reducing costs. To participate in the ACWS teams needed to buy an OD AC45 for a specific price from one builder. To race in the VOR teams now need to buy an OD VOR65 for a set price from basically one builder.

The difference being that when the racing matters AC teams can choose a builder and designer they trust to build their AC72, where as potential VOR teams for the next edition won't have that benefit. When their backs are against the wall in the Southern Ocean VOR Teams will still be stuck with a boat they had no real input in designing that was built by a builder they might not trust 100%.

At least VOR Teams will have the peace of mind that they saved money on their boat. Guess that's better than nothing.

WetHog

#3039 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

I disagree on the number of boats thing. While 6 is OK, imagine if you had say....12. With a greater number there may be more diversity in tactical calls, athough weather and routing narrows down the options, and make it more interesting. As close as these boats were a lot of the time, and the one designs may make it closer, there is only so much water avaiable so someone is going to go off in a different direction to try and gain an edge. As good as the routing is, there is still enough gaps to make it interesting and if someone splits these gaps it may make the others think twice.

And what's the deal with wanting to make every major competition in multihulls? That's like saying we're going to make all auto racing in F1 cars, or all NASCAR in Chevrolet's (wait, that one might have some merit) Does all of sailing want every regatta as one discipline? Enough already.

#3040 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

^ Agreed, keep it in monohulls.

Another edition of The Race would be fun but it sure isn't going to happen any time soon. For multi's the ocean action is with Krys and the MOD70's for now and the immediate future. They start NYC to Brest on iirc July 5th. Not sure how 'wired' the whole thing is, surely not as good as VOR.

#3041 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

I disagree on the number of boats thing. While 6 is OK, imagine if you had say....12. With a greater number there may be more diversity in tactical calls, athough weather and routing narrows down the options, and make it more interesting. As close as these boats were a lot of the time, and the one designs may make it closer, there is only so much water avaiable so someone is going to go off in a different direction to try and gain an edge. As good as the routing is, there is still enough gaps to make it interesting and if someone splits these gaps it may make the others think twice.

And what's the deal with wanting to make every major competition in multihulls? That's like saying we're going to make all auto racing in F1 cars, or all NASCAR in Chevrolet's (wait, that one might have some merit) Does all of sailing want every regatta as one discipline? Enough already.

My Boy Kenseth is leading the points, in a Ford. :P

WetHog

#3042 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hoggie, I'm very unhappy about the OD decision, believe me. But as I wrote in an article for another site, I think the race will be enormous fun to follow and watch, even in ODs.

SR, there is a tracker for the MOD70s, cannot find the link now as I'm at work, tsk, tsk.
Guess what I will do the next days... Stare at little white (apparently not colored this time) spots on a blue background :D .
Is "tracker addiction" a recognized sickness?

EDIT re. WH: Ford is o.k.

#3043 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hoggie, I'm very unhappy about the OD decision, believe me. But as I wrote in an article for another site, I think the race will be enormous fun to follow and watch, even in ODs.

SR, there is a tracker for the MOD70s, cannot find the link now as I'm at work, tsk, tsk.
Guess what I will do the next days... Stare at little white (apparently not colored this time) spots on a blue background :D .

Yeah OD's don't really bother me for the next VOR. What does bother me is who the VOR chose to design the OD boat. Farr is a fine designer, but Juan K has designed the winning boat for the last 3 editions of the VOR. To not use Juan K makes no sense. Guess there are some politics involved in that decision.''

As for Multi's in the VOR, its not necessary. Their are other avenues for someone to enjoy Multi's in a RTW race. The VOR is, and has always been, a mono contest race and it should always be that way. To switch to Multi's in the VOR would be to kill the VOR.

PS: And isn't the difference between NASCAR cars only the badging stickers and the engine block? :lol:

#3044 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yeah OD's don't really bother me for the next VOR. What does bother me is who the VOR chose to design the OD boat. Farr is a fine designer, but Juan K has designed the winning boat for the last 3 editions of the VOR. To not use Juan K makes no sense. Guess there are some politics involved in that decision.''

As for Multi's in the VOR, its not necessary. Their are other avenues for someone to enjoy Multi's in a RTW race. The VOR is, and has always been, a mono contest race and it should always be that way. To switch to Multi's in the VOR would be to kill the VOR.

PS: And isn't the difference between NASCAR cars only the badging stickers and the engine block? :lol:

"Tracker Excessive Attention Retention Syndrome" (TEARS) Renn can be the first patient. :P

And WH, most all NASCAR cars are very similar, with the front end and tail pieces being somewhat different, along with the engine. But all else, with the new style safer car, is the same. They are working on making the cars more brand identified as the fans have been clamoring for it.

#3045 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

"Tracker Excessive Attention Retention Syndrome" (TEARS) Renn can be the first patient. :P

And WH, most all NASCAR cars are very similar, with the front end and tail pieces being somewhat different, along with the engine. But all else, with the new style safer car, is the same. They are working on making the cars more brand identified as the fans have been clamoring for it.

Yes "there is nothing stock about a stock car" these days. Harry Hogge would be very upset. :lol:

#3046 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

TEARS is great! Haaaaa haha.

The Krys Ocean Race (MOD70) tracker link: http://www.krys-ocea...ace-viewer.html

#3047 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

TEARS is great! Haaaaa haha.

The Krys Ocean Race (MOD70) tracker link: http://www.krys-ocea...ace-viewer.html

Thnx, more TEARS ahead!

They start NYC to Brest on iirc July 5th.

July 7th, from Renn's link

edit, from http://www.krys-ocea...-york-city.html

Posted Image

The MOD70 fleet is safely berthed in New York City,
So the MOD70 fleet is safely berthed in New York City, in the North Cove Marina right in the south of Manhattan at the foot of the World Financial Centre. Cut into the bank of the Hudson River the North Cove Marina is an oasis of calm in the bustling financial district, somewhere where during their busy days many office workers and financial traders will grab a few minutes break for lunch or a coffee.

Now, moored among the fleet of J/24ís, gleaming motor yachts are the fleet of MOD70 one design trimarans, Race for Water, Groupe Edmond de Rothschild, Spindrift racing, FONCIA and Musandam-Oman Sail.

#3048 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Going to the Camper Outlet Store in their hometown Palma tomorrow, hope all that VOR stuff will go for bargain prices. :)

#3049 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Going to the Camper Outlet Store in their hometown Palma tomorrow, hope all that VOR stuff will go for bargain prices. :)

This always proves to be a very expensive experience for me. Enjoy!

#3050 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

I think you make an excellent point about tactical options. My opinion just migrated toward more boats.

#3051 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

I think you make an excellent point about tactical options. My opinion just migrated toward more boats.

Thank you. My ideas are not absolute, but an option for what could happen. You never know...............

#3052 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

My Boy Kenseth is leading the points, in a Ford. :P

WetHog

My boy, 'The Closer' is lurking. And don't forget the 88.......................................especially since your 'Boy' is bolting from RFR. ;)

#3053 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

My boy, 'The Closer' is lurking. And don't forget the 88.......................................especially since your 'Boy' is bolting from RFR. ;)

The Closer? Not familiar with that name. And I haven't forgotten the 88. Thats my favorite driver. Dale Jarrett got me into NASCAR way back when he won the 500 for Joe Gibbs. The guy driving the 88 now has a long way to go to live up to what DJ did in the 88. ;)

And Kenseth leaving RFR is a bummer, but it sounds like he will be heading to JGR next year. As a Skins fan I am perfectly OK with that. :lol:

#3054 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

The Closer? Not familiar with that name. And I haven't forgotten the 88. Thats my favorite driver. Dale Jarrett got me into NASCAR way back when he won the 500 for Joe Gibbs. The guy driving the 88 now has a long way to go to live up to what DJ did in the 88. ;)

The 'Closer' = #29 RCR Kevin Harvick - took over the seat after DE died at Daytona.

#3055 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:48 AM

The 'Closer' = #29 RCR Kevin Harvick - took over the seat after DE died at Daytona.

Never heard Harvick referred to by that name. If a Government Motors driver is to win the championship this year I wouldn't mind it being Harvick. Like the guy, and I'd rather see Childress have success than Hendrick. Having said that, Delana is Prego and ready to pop soon if I have my facts right. Having your 1st child is a hell of a distraction for a mear mortal like myself, nevermind a professional race car driver fighting to win a championship. We shall see.

Sadly I'd say old 5 Time is ripe to claim his 6th this year. That team is a true winner, and the tracks featured in the chase favor Johnson.

#3056 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:51 AM

Never heard Harvick referred to by that name. If a Government Motors driver is to win the championship this year I wouldn't mind it being Harvick. Like the guy, and I'd rather see Childress have success than Hendrick. Having said that, Delana is Prego and ready to pop soon if I have my facts right. Having your 1st child is a hell of a distraction for a mear mortal like myself, nevermind a professional race car driver fighting to win a championship. We shall see.

Sadly I'd say old 5 Time is ripe to claim his 6th this year. That team is a true winner, and the tracks featured in the chase favor Johnson.

Harvick has had a penchant for showing-up on the last lap, or late in the race, when racing near the top but not leading until the money lap. JJ is strong, and may yet make it 6-time.

As long as they are wearing a Bow Tie......................

#3057 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

Since Camper sponsors the ACWS, they should try to get a race in Palma.
Its a bit like Naples with a very long boardwalk, thermal wind kicks in around 1300.
Flights and accomodation are really cheap plus there is loads to do during the day and evenings.

#3058 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

^^^

It was strongly rumoured last year that the first 2011-2012 ACWS Regatta was to be held in Palma the fortnight preceeding the Coppa del Rey. It all fell over on the ACEA asking price.

#3059 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

I just watched a replay of the arrival into Galway.

At one point, Peter Lester & Martin Tasker speculate about what Camper did to `mode` their boat for Leg 9.

Was it just a matter of the right sails.

Somewhere there is video footage of Camper coming alongside and then sailing past Groupama,

WTF.

How did this happen ... did Marcelino know something after all ...

#3060 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

WTF.

More like the other teams have grown tired of GD and his shoe models bitching about their boat and about costs that they let Camper win to shut them up, in a good way. ;)

#3061 southseasbill

southseasbill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

I just watched a replay of the arrival into Galway.

At one point, Peter Lester & Martin Tasker speculate about what Camper did to `mode` their boat for Leg 9.

Was it just a matter of the right sails.

Somewhere there is video footage of Camper coming alongside and then sailing past Groupama,

WTF.

I heard they moved stuff around to optimise the weight distribution for port tack.

#3062 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Ouch!

Request from Team Telefonica: to substitute a Crew Member for the Galway In-Port race.

Question:
Xabi Fernandez has suffered an injury hurting his back today while sailing.
He is still at the base with the team doctor who considers that Xabi is in no condition to sail either
tomorrow for the Pro-am or on Saturday for the In-port race.
We therefore ask permission to substitute for the In-port race Xabi Fernandez by Horacio Carabelli due
to the injury of the former.

Answer:
Request denied, Horacio Carabelli has neither sailed in the previous Leg (NOR 6.1.5 (a)) or complied
with NOR 6.2.2, 6.2.3 or 6.4.1.
According to the official records Team Telefonica does not have any reserve Crew Members.
END.

http://noticeboard.v...crew-member.pdf

#3063 onimod

onimod

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

^ ouch!
Unfortunately with the previous ruling denying the substitution of a crew member on G4 the committee didn't have much choice.
If I were a conspiracy theorist I might wonder whether crew relations on board have completely deteriorated to the point where the boss has decided he actually needs to be on the boat....

#3064 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Your last point may be valid. There was a bit of rumor in Lorient about "Spanish temperament" on Tele.

#3065 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Well, its all over except the shouting.

Good on Puma closing-out with a win and the in-port, and Groupama for the overall.

On to the one designs.......................................

#3066 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Sigh!

#3067 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Nice to read Puma won today and won the overall in-port crown. Hope the folk footing the Puma win realize Puma was a broken mast away from possibly winning the whole shebang and re-up for one more try with KR at the helm.

Having said that, and considering KRs comments about the OD future, I hope KR comes back for another shot at winning the VOR. KRs personality was icing on the cake for this past edition. His PBJ show being a prime example. The VOR desperately needs more like him.

WetHog

#3068 GBH

GBH

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

Nice to read Puma won today and won the overall in-port crown. Hope the folk footing the Puma win realize Puma was a broken mast away from possibly winning the whole shebang and re-up for one more try with KR at the helm.

Having said that, and considering KRs comments about the OD future, I hope KR comes back for another shot at winning the VOR. KRs personality was icing on the cake for this past edition. His PBJ show being a prime example. The VOR desperately needs more like him.

WetHog

+1 Apart from Kenny and the Frogs the rest have all the charisma of dead slugs. Maybe it's the corporate responsibility weighing heavily on their shoulders but gawd they are a boring and tedious lot.

#3069 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

WetHog

There are any number of series that could use KR's personality...................................

#3070 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

1341678677[/url]' post='3778255']

WetHog

Didn't G4 also break a mast?

#3071 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

WetHog

Didn't all the teams have a problem along the way?
The ifs, coulds, woulds afterwards may be amusing but are useless.

#3072 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

WetHog

Yeah but G4 finished that leg, Puma couldn't finish leg 1. Big difference.

WerHog

#3073 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

1341680637[/url]' post='3778275']

1341680480[/url]' post='3778274']

WetHog

Yep

#3074 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

WetHog

I didn't bring up Pumas leg 1 misfortune to say what if and such, just that I hope the Folk at Puma take the mishap in leg 1 into consideration when evaluating their teams performance in this edition.

WerHog

#3075 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

I undersand you, Hoggie, and I share your hope that they come back. Kenny has a great entertinment talent, he should have an own TV show Posted Image.

#3076 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

WetHog

Yeah but G4 finished that leg, Puma couldn't finish leg 1. Big difference.

WerHog

And therein lies my dissatisfaction with this format. It has changed from an around the world race with stopovers, but essentially a race series with sequential races in different segments of the hemisphere. I think much of this would be fixed if there was no outside help allowed. Fortunately, I think Groupama would still have won even with this change since I think they would probably have preserved their position had they sailed directly under jury rig - so this issue doesn't taint their victory. But for most of the race.. from the southern ocean on, the whole thing tasted bad to me as it became a lottery of whether you broke in a good enough position to get fixed.... or not as in the case of Puma in the south Atlantic or Azzam at the start. That is just a bit too much randomness to me. The no outside assistance rule essentially makes equalizes any major failures as they would most certainly relegate you to DNF or DFL. And this would have invented some more robust boatbuilding i would bet.

But with only six boats, I can see how the organizers couldn't afford this. The southern ocean leg would probably have been a joke with possibly only 2 maybe three finishers within time!

OD takes the boat build risk taking factor out, but I still think the 'where you break' randomness detracts from the credit the teams deserve.

#3077 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

OD takes the boat build risk taking factor out

Am agreeing with most of what you say, but don't really see how OD can take out a risk factor, 2 cars that come from the same production line won't break down at the same point, no ?

#3078 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

it's interesting that the volvo 70 designers don't seem willing to accept much blame for the failures

they say the canters allow so much sail power that the crews need to use better judgement in what they choose to fly

they just can't wait for near knock downs to tell them they have too much aloft

1-design boats would bring this into focus a bit more i guess

#3079 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Am agreeing with most of what you say, but don't really see how OD can take out a risk factor, 2 cars that come from the same production line won't break down at the same point, no ?

I may be wrong, but I thought the VOR organization was doing the building and providing. Hence all boats would be equally weak/strong. You are right that they won't break at the same time, but on average, they will. But more importantly, on average they can be driven equally hard, and on average, the benefit/penalty will accrue to sailing decisions, not designer decisions. The randomness of the world can't be eliminated, but my point is that it shouldn't be designed into the game.

If it is actually that the syndicates build to the OD spec, then they'll game this one just as the current generation did... and the race will suck in this sense once again.

Now if the committee could allow some sort of debris sensor so that boats wouldn't run into floating crap, that would really help too. That variable makes the race feel like a soccer match where you worry about a squib goal.

#3080 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

I may be wrong, but I thought the VOR organization was doing the building and providing. Hence all boats would be equally weak/strong. You are right that they won't break at the same time, but on average, they will. But more importantly, on average they can be driven equally hard, and on average, the benefit/penalty will accrue to sailing decisions, not designer decisions. The randomness of the world can't be eliminated, but my point is that it shouldn't be designed into the game.

If it is actually that the syndicates build to the OD spec, then they'll game this one just as the current generation did... and the race will suck in this sense once again.

Now if the committee could allow some sort of debris sensor so that boats wouldn't run into floating crap, that would really help too. That variable makes the race feel like a soccer match where you worry about a squib goal.

not directed at you, but the term "average" ... does not really appeal, a competition like the VOR should be way beyond average, that's what they are about and if not let them dive into oblivion.
but to continue my little analogy, my car is quite the same as that of a collegue, same brand, type, motor, whatever ... (the joy of company cars :D ) and yet, to date mine hasn't broken down at all in years and his car has been sort of half time in the garage, go explain that one ? what I'm getting at is also mentioned by the designers and you also go in that direction, "if driven equally hard" ... yeah, right, the funny thing is I usually arrive ahead of him, but he's so abrasive on that engine and brakes it's just a shame.

or to paraphrase one of your past presidents : it's a competition, stupid ! B)

#3081 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

not directed at you, but the term "average" ... does not really appeal, a competition like the VOR should be way beyond average, that's what they are about and if not let them dive into oblivion.
but to continue my little analogy, my car is quite the same as that of a collegue, same brand, type, motor, whatever ... (the joy of company cars :D ) and yet, to date mine hasn't broken down at all in years and his car has been sort of half time in the garage, go explain that one ? what I'm getting at is also mentioned by the designers and you also go in that direction, "if driven equally hard" ... yeah, right, the funny thing is I usually arrive ahead of him, but he's so abrasive on that engine and brakes it's just a shame.

or to paraphrase one of your past presidents : it's a competition, stupid ! B)

I think we are actually agreeing in an argumentative sort of way... When I use the word average, I really mean that term statistically. One of the first lessons in statistics is that the probability of any given point on the distribution is actually zero. All the indicators on the distribution are thus averages. Your car may be outlying on the curve right now, but assuming equal treatment, over thousands of hours of use, the two will converge on a similar pattern assuming they truly were built the same, and assuming you maintain the same. The latter being probably as critical in cars as the driving pattern. But the point is that the probability of you duplicating the exact performance differential you have to date is zero. Could even be better, but if it is an outlier, on average it will be worse.

So agreed... I'm not asking for the competition to be average. I'm asking for the competitors to be subject to similar outcomes for similar incidents on average. You can't eliminate the problem, but the outside help rule I think makes it worse. Nothing can stop someone from doing well if they break within a quarter mile of the line. At that point, the crew gets out and swims while pulling the boat.

Anyhow, I know you just change the deck of cards, but I think the way it plays now - with outside help - deprecates the sailing crew's efforts... on average Posted Image

#3082 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

A nice Christmas gift for Camper fans on withdrawal:

(They could have shown more sailing footage, tho.)

#3083 Hastings

Hastings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Apart from the previously announced womens team, are there any other confirmed VOR entries?

With the way the Vendee is going (leading boats within sight of each other and 500+ mile days) I would say ocean racing has a future.

#3084 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

The Women's team sponsored by a tampon company is the only entry to this point, but the Maserati sailing team, with their modified VOR70 boat, is about to make a record attempt for the NY to SF route and Clean says that is an attempt by the Skipper to convince Maserati to foot the bill for a VOR team.

But thats it from what I"ve read. 1 confirmed team and 1 possible team. That OD boat rule change sure seems to be a winner. :lol:

#3085 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Don't know what's so funny about it, as it's rather sad that another pinnacle of sailing suffers from low to too low entry figures.

#3086 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Don't know what's so funny about it, as it's rather sad that another pinnacle of sailing suffers from low to too low entry figures.

Its funny, in a sad way, because the VOR took a fabulous boat, VOR70, and cast it aside in the name of cost savings and no one is signing up for the event. Add into it the choice of Farr to design the new boat, not JuanK, and its a joke. A sad joke.

#3087 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

The Women's team sponsored by a tampon company is the only entry to this point.....

Buried somewhere in that statement is a deliciously funny and probably non-PC one-liner about the future prospects of the Volvo Race.

#3088 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

^

maybe they can get prince charles

to sign on as royal sponsor

#3089 Hastings

Hastings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

^

maybe they can get prince charles

to sign on as royal sponsor

You have a good memory!

#3090 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,068 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Good thread or not,...enjoy ! SCARY !!!!!

#3091 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

Day old, but interesting if true:

VSail.info@vsail
Any truth to the rumor Alinghi is seriously considering entering the 2014-15 Volvo Ocean Race? Stay tuned...

#3092 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Day old, but interesting if true:

VSail.info@vsail
Any truth to the rumor Alinghi is seriously considering entering the 2014-15 Volvo Ocean Race? Stay tuned...

That would be great. Would attract also other sponsor to the race when there is former americas cup winner racing.
Alinghi is well funded team. So probably 2 boat campaign if rules allow it?

#3093 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

Would love to see EB get subjected to a Vendee Challenge. Can you imagine That video? :)

#3094 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,068 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

New video on how to gybe in 45 knots of wind.

Groupama before arriving in Lorient, during the most difficult conditions of the race. Technical explanations are in french for those who understand. For those who don't, have a look at the sea conditions and watch how they do.
Amazing....

#3095 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

http://www.welt.de/m...er-beginnt.html

13/4/2013
Die Welt: to participate in the Volvo Ocean Race Would be a pleasure for you?
Bertarelli: I know there are a lot of rumors about a Alinghi participation. But the decision has not been made ​​yet.

Die Welt: Would you go to be aboard when it comes to a startup?
Bertarelli: No, that's something for young, Trained men.

I though Alinghi's VOR entry was a done deal according to VSail but I guess not...

#3096 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,445 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

^

Extract translated.

The world: We are talking about the early days with Alinghi in 2000?

Bertarelli: Yes. The America's Cup is a class that allows developments to be created in the new designs. If everything goes as it once was in Formula 1, it will always win the team that has the most money. This, then, did not do too much more with sports, it's then just about the money. I had the good fortune to participate in a time America's Cup, when the boats were similar and allowed by the rules no big margins.

The world: money was in your victories not the deciding factor?

Bertarelli: No, more important was the interlektuelle power, the strength of the muscles and team cohesion. Konstallation This is in my view the best. If we look at the competition this year, then that's different. Commitment of financial resources decide.

The World: And in favor of Oracle?

Bertarelli: Yes, most definitely. Without any question, none of the three boats that competes against Oracle in September in San Francisco, has a chance of winning.

The World: Do you like this trend?

Bertarelli: These conditions are not good for the America's Cup . Especially since only three competitors remain. More specifically, it takes only two, the Swedish and New Zealand. The Italian, who copied Luna Rosa, yes only the design of Team New Zealand. And if only two design teams remain as the challenger, then says something about the competition. When we defended the Cup in 2007, we had eleven competitors, and first time in 2003 when we won, there were nine challengers. Is what I call a contest.

"Without any question". That's a bold prediction & not my own assessment.

#3097 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

he makes whine

with his grapes

we'll see