#1 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

Yes, I know, there are ample Volvo threads in "Ocean Racing Anarchy"

But, there are numerous America's Cup sailors involved so it a legitimate subject for here.

If we read the weather forecast correctly, Tony Rae, Ken Read and the rest are in for a rough start - what Sail-World considers "an early battering as the six teams head straight into what could be boat-breaking conditions."

"The weather forecast is for winds of 25 knots just hours after the starting gun fires in Alicante, at 1300 UTC (1400 local). The combination of those winds with a choppy sea state will make it a tough first night on the Volvo Open 70 boats as they begin the 6,500 nautical mile first leg to Cape Town"

Clean has talked his way onto Sanya and will jump off at the appropriate spot! [if not, then he is a late entrant to the race!]

But here is my point.

It is a major decision to go sailing in this race and I would hate to see harm come to anyone.

Yet, with waves sweeping across the deck, cantankerous canting keels and sails thrashing around, a lot can happen.

This will quickly get boring if several boats have gear problems early in the race.

It will be even worse if crew members get damaged.

So I am pretty sure you will join me in wishing everyone involved a safe and exciting race.

P.S. Trae has been involved in every AC regatta since 1987. Now he is in the Volvo. Adam Minoprio is doing the Volvo in the hope of getting into the AC!]

Attached Files

#2 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

But here is my point.

It is a major decision to go sailing in this race and I would hate to see harm come to anyone.

when has being captain obvious been newsworthy? Attentionwhore Monthly may have a few column inches available to you but it's hard to know if you are up to their lowly standards.

Perhaps you could become even more obvious and then somehow bend the time space continuum and make such ramblings relevant to AC sailing instead of spewing here nothing more than the froth of an infantile canonist?

take it to ORA

#3 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:56 AM

25 knots and waves ? BFD

More unnecessary SA drama.

Give us a break - we saw Mumm 30's and J105's getting thrashed on the SF Bay in 30 knots during BBS. I think Volvo 70's can handle 25 knots.

#4 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

Moose, in today's NZ Herald:

As he heads off on his fourth 'lap of the world', he says the fear factor remains as strong as ever. "Sure, you know what to expect but it doesn't make it any easier," says Sanderson. "Fear is necessary otherwise you would be reckless. Often the fear comes after the fact - which works quite well. Something happens and you are completely caught up in it; it is only afterwards where you think, 'Shit, that was close'."

Sanderson admits that this type of ocean racing offers the best and the absolute worst that sailing has to offer.

"It's like going through a carwash with all the windows down then driving round in that car, full of water, day and night, with the same clothes on for six weeks. It sounds pretty horrendous but as sailors we are great at forgetting things."

#5 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:11 AM

25 knots and waves ? BFD

Give us a break - we saw Mumm 30's and J105's getting thrashed on the SF Bay in 30 knots during BBS. I think Volvo 70's can handle 25 knots.

Well, SW, you must be sick. Otherwise, how could you explain that I agree with you today? :huh:

#6 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

Well it's not exactly an inshore Opti regatta with mom's standing on the shoreline watching now is it ?

What do they expect, 5 knots of wind at 12 meters and 1 meter seas ?

Did they have gun's at their heads to enter ?

It's the frigging Volvo Ocean race - deal with it and stop being such a pansie ass.

#7 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

Well it's not exactly an inshore Opti regatta with mom's standing on the shoreline watching now is it ?

What do they expect, 5 knots of wind at 12 meters and 1 meter seas ?

Did they have gun's at their heads to enter ?

It's the frigging Volvo Ocean race - deal with it and stop being such a pansie ass.

I did say I agreed with you SW ! You could not believe me...?

#8 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

I doubt there are any "pansie arse" people on these boats.

The statement is just Volvo media people trying to generate interest.

Even so, as earlier iterations of the race show, it is usual for some boats to be in trouble inside the first 24 hours.

I have a vested interest in seeing Camper in Auckland (in early March)!

So, I say again.

A safe trip to all.

#9 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

I doubt there are any "pansie arse" people on these boats.

The statement is just Volvo media people trying to generate interest.

Even so, as earlier iterations of the race show, it is usual for some boats to be in trouble inside the first 24 hours.

I have a vested interest in seeing Camper in Auckland (in early March)!

So, I say again.

A safe trip to all.

No one is wishing ill on anyone, and you are the pansie ass for worrying about 25 knots, not the guys on the boats.

Did they think this is a light air race ?

#10 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

No one is wishing ill on anyone, and you are the pansie ass for worrying about 25 knots, not the guys on the boats.

Mate, Dixie told me you won an important Rolex race.

So I am prepared to listen.

But do not call me a pansie ass.

I started a thread so, if we feel like it, we can discuss the participation of AC types in the Volvo.

And learn to play nicely!

hastings you are a gay pansy arse...

#11 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

from Groupama PR:

"There will be up to 25 knots of breeze in this descent to the Gata headland and the boat will also be making 25 knots of boat speed... The first section promises to be very quick, but then we'll be on a beat as the breeze gradually picks up to over 35 knots! We're going to need to make headway to the West, driving into a W'ly wind synonymous with a strong breeze, a series of tacks and difficult short seas, with up to 3-4 metre waves."

This Mediterranean weather isn't serving up the usual kinds of conditions for the VOR-70s, which are more designed for racking up the miles with eased sheets. With 40 knots of breeze, the boats will be sailing under storm jib and two reefs in the mainsail so the passage between the Gata headland and the Alboran Sea will call for further headsail changes!

"However, these difficult conditions aren't likely to last very long: we'll be at the Gata headland on Saturday evening and in the Straits of Gibraltar early afternoon on Sunday. That said, it's going to be very hard overnight on Saturday. After that, the wind will ease fairly quickly and it may even become too calm!"

#12 BAR KARATE

BAR KARATE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Interests:Alcoholic with a Sailing Problem

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

HTFU
These things were designed to do this......

#13 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

So, how do I become a fine, distinguished and intelligent citizen like you?

#14 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Camper has a good start.

#15 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

^
And we have so good VOR threads in the respective forums.

#16 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

Its a shame they turned the VOR Game into a ca$hcow :( :(

#17 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

Light weather in the Volvo...

#18 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

So, how do I become a fine, distinguished and intelligent citizen like you?

hastings..How about you go sailing once in 25 knts before you start handwringing, name dropping and telling us how scary it is...

#19 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

from Groupama PR:

"There will be up to 25 knots of breeze in this descent to the Gata headland and the boat will also be making 25 knots of boat speed... The first section promises to be very quick, but then we'll be on a beat as the breeze gradually picks up to over 35 knots! We're going to need to make headway to the West, driving into a W'ly wind synonymous with a strong breeze, a series of tacks and difficult short seas, with up to 3-4 metre waves."

This Mediterranean weather isn't serving up the usual kinds of conditions for the VOR-70s, which are more designed for racking up the miles with eased sheets. With 40 knots of breeze, the boats will be sailing under storm jib and two reefs in the mainsail so the passage between the Gata headland and the Alboran Sea will call for further headsail changes!

"However, these difficult conditions aren't likely to last very long: we'll be at the Gata headland on Saturday evening and in the Straits of Gibraltar early afternoon on Sunday. That said, it's going to be very hard overnight on Saturday. After that, the wind will ease fairly quickly and it may even become too calm!"

From Sailworld

Without all the drama....

The six strong Volvo Ocean race fleet should get away to a slingshot start, with favourable winds promising a fast ride to the first milestone in the race - the Straits of Gibraltar.<br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 11px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 11px; line-height: 15px; ">The America's Cup based software Predictwind says that winds are expected to be about 15-17kts average for most of the 300nm stage, and using a standard Volvo 70 set of polars, (which show an expected boatspeed for a given wind angle and strength), the boats should travel most of the distance at speeds of 11-12kts. <br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 11px; line-height: 15px; "><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 11px; line-height: 15px; ">Boatspeeds are expected to be the fastest just after the start with the standard boat coming away at 17kts, and speeds will slowly decrease until they near Gibraltar where they are expected to be sailing at around 9kts.

#20 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Chris Nicholson’s CAMPER were the slickest of the six away, as winds gusting up to 30 knots greeted the fleet. CAMPER increased their lead over PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG to 1 minute 39 seconds at the Alicante leaving mark at the end of the eight-nm course, with Team Telefónica another 36 seconds behind.

Abu Dhabi came next, followed by Groupama sailing team, who took a voluntary two-turn penalty following a collision with PUMA’s Mar Mostro just before the start, and Team Sanya.

“Our skills are offshore for sure,” said Cammas, skipper of the first French team to compete in the Volvo Ocean Race in 18 years. “We are in this race for the first time so we need to learn a few things. It’s important to finish the first 24 hours in good shape because the race is very long and we don’t want to break anything early on. The first night could be the hardest of the whole leg.”

After almost three hours of racing, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing skipper Ian Walker said it had been the most chaotic start ever.

"Wow – what a start," he said. "That has to be the most chaotic 40 minutes of sailing I have ever been involved with. Six teams with only 10 sailors trying to throw their 70ft boats around a tiny course in 25 knots of wind. I am not sure what our guest Zinedine Zidane made of it but he looked happy to get off!

====================

#21 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

Groupama first, Camper third, that is going to be a tough night...

#22 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Azzam dismasted - already?

#23 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Azzam dismasted - already?

Here's a contact they may need, in the event the race organizers didn't already have them on standby.

http://www.antonov.com/index.html;jsessionid=arOpcZzEalJe

#24 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

25 knots and waves ? BFD

So TK gets accused of exaggeration.

Because SWS knows best!

Now the Abu Dhabi mast is down. This email from their media bloke:

"We have dropped our rig. Everyone is alright on board, and we are in the process of cutting the excess rigging away. The boat's mainsail and J4 were retrieved successfully along with various other parts that we will hope to re-use.

"We put a man in the water (Wade Morgan) to cut away the top of the mainsail at the headboard car. Wade was able to make several attempts at cutting, however a very violent sea state made it extremely dangerous for him to remain in the water. The crew retrieved him promptly and were able to get the mainsail off the lock -- allowing it to slide down the rig and be pulled from the water."

In addition, Clean says it is blowing like snot.

An inauspicious start to the race.

Damn!

#25 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

Like Ian Walker (Abu Dhabi), Sanya also has a Future Fibres rig.

I wonder what Moose is thinking?

#26 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

Traditionally some boats are trashed the first day...

#27 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:20 AM

But, there are numerous America's Cup sailors involved so it a legitimate subject for here.

Not its not a legitimate subject for this forum. The Volvo is an OCEAN race and there is a complete fucking forum for OCEAN racing.

If other have been flicked for being dicks, then it seems time for Te Koodie to get flicked as well for being a complete fucking idiot. Ed, and friends, please consider it.

WetHog :ph34r:

#28 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

Here's your AC tie: Azzam's mast and rigging were made by Future Fibres. Paul's not gonna be in a good mood tonight ..

#29 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:49 AM

Here's your AC tie: Azzam's mast and rigging were made by Future Fibres. Paul's not gonna be in a good mood tonight ..

You mean the one disputing the defender series ? :D

#30 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

25 knots and waves ? BFD

So TK gets accused of exaggeration.

Because SWS knows best!

Now the Abu Dhabi mast is down. This email from their media bloke:

"We have dropped our rig. Everyone is alright on board, and we are in the process of cutting the excess rigging away. The boat's mainsail and J4 were retrieved successfully along with various other parts that we will hope to re-use.

"We put a man in the water (Wade Morgan) to cut away the top of the mainsail at the headboard car. Wade was able to make several attempts at cutting, however a very violent sea state made it extremely dangerous for him to remain in the water. The crew retrieved him promptly and were able to get the mainsail off the lock -- allowing it to slide down the rig and be pulled from the water."

In addition, Clean says it is blowing like snot.

An inauspicious start to the race.

Damn!

I know it's really tough around here, but try to keep the facts straight.

Not exaggeration, but drama, TC style.

So they broke the mast - those things happen.

Just because their are AC sailors involved doesn't justify the thread being on this forum. As Hoggie so succinctly states, The Volvo is an OCEAN race and there is a complete fucking forum for OCEANracing.

#31 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:19 AM

Abu Dhabi launch repair operation after dismasting
Posted Image PAUL TODD/Volvo Ocean Race
Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing are putting a major repair operation into effect after their racing yacht Azzam suffered a broken mast in rough weather today, forcing her to suspend racing just over six hours into Leg 1 of the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12.
"We have no injuries and have retrieved or secured all equipment"

A spare mast is being rushed to the Spanish port of Alicante where Azzam and the rest of the six-strong fleet had begun the first offshore leg of the 39,000-nautical mile race in front of cheering crowds of 60,000.

British skipper Ian Walker said the crew was unhurt and the team were now motoring back to Alicante. The boat remains in the race, the toughest offshore event in sailing which will not finish until July 2012 in Galway, Ireland. Azzam won the first in-port race of the event in Alicante last Saturday and leads the standings with six points. The winner of the first leg will reap 30 points.

At 1915 UTC/GMT, Abu Dhabi told race management Azzam had suspended racing after the mast was broken. The boat was 30 nautical miles south of Cartagena on the Spanish coast.

Walker later reported at 2053 UTC/GMT: “Our situation is now stable. We are motoring towards flatter water at Cabo de Palos where we hope to lift the top section of the mast aboard. "We have no injuries and have retrieved or secured all equipment. Our mast broke into three pieces when landing off a big wave in 30+ knots of wind. We were sailing under a J4 and two reefs. We do not as yet know the cause.

“Our intention is to return to Alicante under motor to repair any damage and step our spare mast.”

Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad said he felt “desperately sorry” for twice-Olympic silver medallist Walker and his team.

“The team are extremely professional and I know they will do all they can to get Azzam back in the race as quickly and safely as possible,” he said.

Team media crew member Nick Dana told how crew member Wade Morgan had made a courageous attempt in waves of up to 3.5 metres to rescue the rig.

“The boat's mainsail and J4 were retrieved successfully along with various other parts that we will hope to re-use.

“We put a man in the water (Morgan) to cut away the top of the mainsail at the headboard car. Wade was able to make several attempts at cutting. However, a very violent sea state made it extremely dangerous for him to remain in the water.

“The crew retrieved him promptly and were able to get the mainsail off the lock - allowing it to slide down the rig and be pulled from the water.

“The mast from the first spreader up is now secured to the port side of the boat. About three or four metres protrude from behind the boat. A spider web of lines is keeping the operation intact. The crew are deeply disappointed.”

Cartagena search and rescue organisation have been informed and are on standby to assist if necessary.

Volvo Ocean Race control is in constant contact with the team while establishing the full extent of the damage so that the crew are given full support to enable them to deal with the situation.

#32 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

Not its not a legitimate subject for this forum. The Volvo is an OCEAN race and there is a complete fucking forum for OCEAN racing.

If other have been flicked for being dicks, then it seems time for Te Koodie to get flicked as well for being a complete fucking idiot. Ed, and friends, please consider it.

Why would you think anyone cares about what you think, dickhead? This is anarchy: any news is good for business: if you don't like what's been written, don't read it...and go whine to someone who gives a flying fuck!!

#33 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:28 AM

Why would you think anyone cares about what you think, dickhead? This is anarchy: any news is good for business: if you don't like what's been written, don't read it...and go whine to someone who gives a flying fuck!!

Kiwi-troll doing what Kiwi-trolls do.

#34 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:32 AM

#35 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

#36 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:06 AM

I don't think Indio's six week dry out period is up for another three weeks yet., but it probably doesn't matter anyway - insults fly regardless.

#37 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,642 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

Here's your AC tie: Azzam's mast and rigging were made by Future Fibres.

Here's another connection. AC boats and VOR boats both float on water.

This thread should not be here. Out.

#38 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:38 AM

Dude, sorry, the Volvo is two thousand times more interesting than the stupid, ballsucking, listless America's Cup crap. The only "complete fucking idiots" are, IMHO, folks who actually give a rat's ass about the AC. Please stfu; this guy has done everyone a favor by talking about Volvo.

#39 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

Dude, sorry, the Volvo is two thousand times more interesting than the stupid, ballsucking, listless America's Cup crap.

DUDE Maybe that's why it's on Ocean Racing Anarchy.

Why are you here then ? Try going there if it interests you so much.

#40 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

Agree w/SW Sailor. Since when is 25 knots representative of heavy conditions in ocean racing? I thought these Volvo guys routinely dealt with near hurricane conditions as they "surfed" from one low pressure system to the next. 25 knots?!?! I was under the impression that literally 90% of their race would likely exceed that kind of wind velocity. Something doesn't add up, and/or the reporting is pretty damned sensationalistic.

25 knots and waves ? BFD

#41 2to1

2to1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Black Holes

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

Word.

#42 2to1

2to1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Black Holes

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

you post too much

#43 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

Sanya damaged too ..

Let's see: we have a famous race, fewer than desirable entrants, highly sophisticated boats that break down right at the start > huge black eye

Could that be an omen?

#44 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Agree w/SW Sailor. Since when is 25 knots representative of heavy conditions in ocean racing? I thought these Volvo guys routinely dealt with near hurricane conditions as they "surfed" from one low pressure system to the next. 25 knots?!?! I was under the impression that literally 90% of their race would likely exceed that kind of wind velocity. Something doesn't add up, and/or the reporting is pretty damned sensationalistic.

25 knots and waves ? BFD

Wind is up over 35 on my balcony. 40+ at the Straits. Don't bitch about sensationalism unless you're sure the drama isn't real.

#45 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

More SA drama for SW...:)

#46 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Fair enough. I agree, 35-40 is getting to be a decent amount of breeze. But let's be real, my guys are just local hacks and we've had our J24 out in 40k a few times. It's breezy as hell but good heavens these are the best sailors on earth in some of the most sophisticated boats on earth. Plus, they are guaranteed to see a lot more wind than that. Heck, in the last Vendee Globe, a few of the sailors referred to 30 as a "light breeze". I'm not bitching about nuttin'; I just don't quite get how this could have happened. Scares the crap out of me for these poor blokes, really ... how can they possibly be expected to make it around the world if in the first.05% of the race their boat fundamentally breaks?

25 knots and waves ? BFD

Wind is up over 35 on my balcony. 40+ at the Straits. Don't bitch about sensationalism unless you're sure the drama isn't real.

#47 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

Fair enough. I agree, 35-40 is getting to be a decent amount of breeze. But let's be real, my guys are just local hacks and we've had our J24 out in 40k a few times. It's breezy as hell but good heavens these are the best sailors on earth in some of the most sophisticated boats on earth. Plus, they are guaranteed to see a lot more wind than that. Heck, in the last Vendee Globe, a few of the sailors referred to 30 as a "light breeze". I'm not bitching about nuttin'; I just don't quite get how this could have happened. Scares the crap out of me for these poor blokes, really ... how can they possibly be expected to make it around the world if in the first.05% of the race their boat fundamentally breaks?

You dont understand! It is not the wind that's the problem, its the waves!
They would have been safer staying closer inshore, even though they would lose a lot of miles on the front runners.

Just last year two people got killed by a wave from INSIDE a cruise ship:
http://www.dailymail...iterranean.html
http://www.liveleak....=7f6_1267712408

#48 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

Exactly. Wind doesn't kill; green water does.

#49 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Mediterranean sea can be dangerous, but if we have 40+ knots + currents in Gibraltar strait, it's gonna be very tough for boats and crew.

#50 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

The three famous capes of the spanish coast are in the med. Columbus was said to comment that after westing those points, discovering america was easy.

#51 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Now we have lost two boats (and Moose is pissed-off) there will be little (or no) drama if another one falls over.

I am happy because, at present, Camper is leading.

This being Sunday it would be a good time for you (SWS) , Wethog and other simpletons to do the decent thing.

APOLOGIZE !

#52 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

The `no drama` yacht race.

Except Moose said this:

First look, dockside:

"When we got to port and jumped off the boat, we were pretty surprised at how much damage there is. There is about a 6 foot by 3 inch gash right through the hull, fish were probably swimming around inside the boat. From the gash outward, roughly two thirds of the laminate is gone for about a 2 or 3 meter section from one spray rail to the other.

It is always better to have fish inside the boat.

Attached Files

#53 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

Walker said his team would now work 24 hours a day to prepare Azzam for re-joining the race.
“I’d be surprised if we could do [the repairs] in three days as a guess,” he said. “But, it’s amazing what you can do when you’ve got a strong will. We’ve had a lot of offers of help and we’ll get people on it 24 hours a day, and you’ll be amazed at what a team of people can achieve in a very short time. I say three days and hopefully it’s two, maybe it’s four, but we’ll do it as soon as we can.”

Glad nobody got hurt when it happened. Hope they can get their repairs done in 3 days and be on their way again.

#54 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

More fake drama from the Volvo homepage:

Two of the six boats in the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12 were forced to suspend racing inside the first 24 hours offshore as the teams were beset by brutal sea conditions while still in the Mediterranean.

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing came back into Alicante under engine this morning after the mast on the team's racing yacht Azzam had broken in five-metre waves and 30 knots of wind the previous night, just six hours and 85 nautical miles from the start of Leg 1, a 6,500-nm haul to Cape Town.

While Ian Walker's team were on their way back to the start port, rivals Team Sanya were reporting damage to their hull while sailing upwind in 35-38 knots.

======================================================================================================================================================================

Of course those involved in the race are full of shit. In contrast, our own `no drama` SWS (in San Francisco) knows the score.

#55 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

Sanya's mast too; seems there is also a Persico tie-in
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/sailing/ian-walker-defiant-despite-early-setback-6258075.html

#56 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

we've had our J24 out in 40k a few times.

Oh so that makes you a fucking expert eh? You know all about what it's like to take a 70 foot, carbon fiber surfboard and launch it off of 20 foot waves UPWIND while doing 13-15 knots in 35-40 knots of breeze? For DAYS at a time? I can assure you that you know nothing of what the Volvo teams are going through and that by calling them pussies you're just making yourself look ignorant.

Yet another reminder why SA sucks... because it's made up of people who sail small boats and are pissed about it...

#57 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hogster, this is your chance to withdraw your odious remarks and apologize.

First off, if you do not like the subject of a thread, do not read it!

Second, on my computer I have all this Volvo stuff in a folder named Americas`s Cup.

Because, from a kiwi perspective, Team New Zealand is a multifaceted operation with, as you know, various projects running concurrently.

Also, just before our Volvo guys went to Europe, my partner and I ran into Trae, Minoprio and others unloading containers at the Viaduct.

We were there to look at AC-related things but ended up talking with Tony about the Volvo stopover port in southern Brazil. For reasons not relevant to this discussion, we are interested in this part of the world.

Tony plays lead guitar for the TNZ syndicate band. But, unlike many others, has been doing AC and Whitbread and Volvo campaigns since 1987.

Despite all the known streses of this game, he looks remarkably fit and youthful.

In your mind these two projects (AC and Volvo) are separate entities.

In my mind (and that of Dalts, Trae, Shoebie and many others) there are very serious overlaps between the AC and Volvo.

And, by the way, do you consider the Volvo in-shore contest to constitute ocean racing.

It is partly a cultural problem. I am a New Zealander and you are a yank.

We think differently and our side would never start hurling cruise missiles at someone because some under-educated and cognitively-challenged intelligence officer said they had weapons of mass destruction.

Beware of false binary oppositions (eg. AC and Volvo) on the road ahead.

And ask yourself why the AC-like Southern Spars mast on Camper is still up. While others are down.

Think about it.

#58 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

Sanya's mast too; seems there is also a Persico tie-in
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/sailing/ian-walker-defiant-despite-early-setback-6258075.html

Yes, they machined the (quite sophisticated) molds: SH had a good piece on that

#59 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

Stuart Alexander in The Independent. Another drama queen who knows less than SWS (in SF) and the Hogster (in Annapolis)!!!

The wind was blowing between about 27 knots and a gale force 35 at the time but the seas were whipped into a difficult steep chop and the boat fell into a trough. “I know it’s a big wave when my feet come off the ground,” said a dazed-looking Walker, a British double Olympic silver medallist

#60 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

Persico - who, with Future Fibres, were involved with building the AD rig - are also contracted to build Mr. Bertelli`s AC catamaran.

But, of course, within the black and white world of simple-mindedness, it is all ocean racing.

Yeah ... right!

#61 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

Franck Cammas went so far south his crew must have thought they were going to Morocco!

#62 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Abu Dhabi video

#63 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Now we have lost two boats (and Moose is pissed-off) there will be little (or no) drama if another one falls over.

I am happy because, at present, Camper is leading.

This being Sunday it would be a good time for you (SWS) , Wethog and other simpletons to do the decent thing.

APOLOGIZE !

For what, calling the Volvo Ocean race what it actually is, and always has been BTW ?

You make it sound like someone running around calling people Nazi's or something ludicrous. If anyone is remiss in apologizing go look in the mirror.

The sport has inherent risks and this race is notorious for the conditions they encounter. These guys opt to push 70' boats as hard as they can doing 19 knots thru 3 meter seas in 35 knots of wind and things break. What a shocker. What do you actually expect, cheese, crackers and cocktails served to the crew at 5:00 PM before dinner with a wine of your choice ?

Look at Moose's own quote - like going thru a car wash with the windows down. Do you expect they'll be dry and warm and you want me to apologize if they get wet ?

#64 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Stuart Alexander in The Independent. Another drama queen who knows less than SWS (in SF) and the Hogster (in Annapolis)!!!

The wind was blowing between about 27 knots and a gale force 35 at the time but the seas were whipped into a difficult steep chop and the boat fell into a trough. "I know it's a big wave when my feet come off the ground," said a dazed-looking Walker, a British double Olympic silver medallist

I would never have expected this as the Volvo is normally a drifter with benign conditions. You seem to struggle with the fact that these conditions are widely known as being commonplace with this race. Why is that ?

Have you ever been on a boat that's dropped off a wave and been left in mid air before, or submarined into a wave at full speed, or lost a rig ?

If you've done a moderate amount of racing in difficult conditions these events are not that uncommon, and I have nowhere near the experience these guys do.

#65 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Or could it be VORs have become downwind sleds that pitch/slam too much going upwind? Wonder how they would have rated under IOR, which oldtimers might remember was supposed to foster seaworthy vessels.

#66 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

Do you expect they'll be dry and warm and you want me to apologize if they get wet ?

Not at all.

I want you to apologize for abuse heaped on me because:

1. I opened a Volvo thread here in AC-Anarchy (Hogster wanted me flicked for this mortal sin!)
2. I wished the sailors a safe journey
3. I copied over (from Sail-World, the Volvo site etc) material suggesting conditions were something more than flat.

I was accused of creating "unecessary drama".

Yet, as the last 24 hours have shown (and as confirmed by Clean who is on-scene), there have been 30k winds and plenty of drama.

So, stop prevaricating and trying to change the subject.

Man-up and APOLOGIZE!

#67 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

It seems they've designed and built boats that are fast enough that they will pound themselves to death if you allow it, so throttling back is as much an aspect of survival as anything.

The AC72 design and sailing teams face a similar challenge.

#68 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

It seems they've designed and built boats that are fast enough that they will pound themselves to death if you allow it, so throttling back is as much an aspect of survival as anything.

Must be tricky back-pedalling with one foot in your mouth

#69 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

Do you expect they'll be dry and warm and you want me to apologize if they get wet ?

Not at all.

I want you to apologize for abuse heaped on me because:

1. I opened a Volvo thread here in AC-Anarchy (Hogster wanted me flicked for this mortal sin!)
2. I wished the sailors a safe journey
3. I copied over (from Sail-World, the Volvo site etc) material suggesting conditions were something more than flat.

I was accused of creating "unecessary drama".

Yet, as the last 24 hours have shown (and as confirmed by Clean who is on-scene), there have been 30k winds and plenty of drama.

So, stop prevaricating and trying to change the subject.

Man-up and APOLOGIZE!

If I understand your post correctly, you want me to apologize to you for your own actions and those of others as a result of your actions.

I think you should apologize for constantly hijacking threads with non AC related matters. Would you like a few hundred examples ?

I think a much more relevant priority is the long past due apology you owe Gaucho and others for calling them Nazis and fascists, or TC for his abusive remarks to Bob Perry for simply checking in.

#70 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

Must be tricky back-pedalling with one foot in your mouth

No backpeddling at all, simply facts, but you are displaying your ignorance homey.

#71 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

Not long ago Clean asked Dalts why Deano (and the AC) guys are so good at the comeback.

Dalts said it was in our "culture."

Instead of pouncing on this, Clean let it go.

But, to further demonstrate AC and Whitbread/Volvo overlaps, remember the Ceramco saga.

Richard Gladwell calls the Ceramco's dismasting on the first leg of the then Whitbread Round the World race "one of the defining moments in New Zealand's yachting history."

Why?

Because Cermaco sailed over 3,000 nm under Jury rig to finish the leg and continue in the race.

While chugging along under jury rig, Blake did not want competitors to know the NZ boat was hobbled.

So he did not tell too many people! And, in those days, there was no Internet or Satphones.

But it was an outstanding testament to the kiwi fondness for improvisation and No. 8 wire.

I am not suggesting Moose should do anything other than fix the hole ion Sanya. And Ian Walker was right to motor back.

I just bring up the Ceramco incident in order to have Wethog turn on his cognitive processes and discard his black/white binary view of the world.

#72 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

No backpeddling at all, simply facts, but you are displaying your ignorance homey.

"Facts."

All hail the return of Marian and her simple-minded "fact-based" view of the world.

SWS, care to illuminate what you mean by a "fact?"

#73 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

Sometimes you wonder how the world ever got by before we had New Zealand...

I assume you are familiar with the phrase World Famous in New Zealand

#74 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Camper leading the remaining two boats out through the Straits of Gibraltar.

Once outside it will be interesting to see which tactical options deliver.

Camper can see Groupama - about 3 miles behind.

#75 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

Sometimes you wonder how the world ever got by before we had New Zealand...

I assume you are familiar with the phrase World Famous in New Zealand

Brilliant

#76 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

Once outside it will be interesting to see which tactical options deliver.

Camper can see Groupama - about 3 miles behind.

Another one dropped out?
Chris Nicholson must be a happy camper (terrible i know).

#77 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

"Facts."

All hail the return of Marian and her simple-minded "fact-based" view of the world.

Why don't you hop on a Volvo 70 and sail it flat out as fast as possible into heavy air/sea conditions for several hundred miles and let's see how far you can make it, and take Indiio with you because he apparently doesn't understand the concept of preserving assets under heavy air/sea conditions either.

This will be fun.

#78 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

It's actually a pretty fair comment. Our little J24 sailed in inland waters (I would be shocked if we've seen five foot waves, ever) certainly doesn't compare to an Open 70 offshore in 20 footers.

SA doesn't suck, not at all ... some of us just make dumb comments sometimes. BTW by no means was I implying that anyone was a pussy. Peace.

we've had our J24 out in 40k a few times.

Oh so that makes you a fucking expert eh? You know all about what it's like to take a 70 foot, carbon fiber surfboard and launch it off of 20 foot waves UPWIND while doing 13-15 knots in 35-40 knots of breeze? For DAYS at a time? I can assure you that you know nothing of what the Volvo teams are going through and that by calling them pussies you're just making yourself look ignorant.

Yet another reminder why SA sucks... because it's made up of people who sail small boats and are pissed about it...

#79 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Conditions today? See for yourselves...

#80 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

Looks like everyone on Camper (except the helmsman) wears those high visibility hoods/hats.

Good idea.

In case of MOB.

#81 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

Whoops ... Camper + 3 "remaining boats."

#82 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

AD's spare mast has reached Alicante.

So far, so good.

#83 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

"Facts."

Why don't you hop on a Volvo 70 and sail it flat out as fast as possible into heavy air/sea conditions for several hundred miles and let's see how far you can make it, and take Indiio with you because he apparently doesn't understand the concept of preserving assets under heavy air/sea conditions either.

This will be fun.

You dumbass knobheads don''t get it, do you? You didn't like the VOR thread in AC, yet here you are still making cunts of yourselves, trying to divert attention from your stupidity by waffling on about "preserving assets under heavy air/sea conditions".Posted Image

#84 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

"Facts."

This will be fun.

You dumbass knobheads don''t get it, do you? You didn't like the VOR thread in AC, yet here you are still making cunts of yourselves, trying to divert attention from your stupidity by waffling on about "preserving assets under heavy air/sea conditions".Posted Image

Kiwi troll,

Just let me know when you and Ta Koodie are done quaffing stallion semen and knawing on deer pizzle and are ready to dock out so I can cheer you on, and BTW, don't feel you need to hold back on the insults, in fact you seem to be slipping a bit.

#85 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

"Facts."

This will be fun.

Kiwi troll,

Just let me know when you and Ta Koodie are done quaffing stallion semen and knawing on deer pizzle and are ready to dock out so I can cheer you on, and BTW, don't feel you need to hold back on the insults, in fact you seem to be slipping a bit.

North Dakota village still out looking for you?..or you too busy "preserving assets under heavy air/sea conditions" in your bath tub!?!?Posted Image
You're way too simple-minded to enjoy insulting: one needs a brain to feel insulted.

#86 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:33 AM

Give us a break - we saw Mumm 30's and J105's getting thrashed on the SF Bay ...

I am sure Ian Walker and Mike Sanderson would be happy to be called SA Drama Queens by the central sailor of the Bay. :D

#87 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:58 AM

^ do try stop being an idiot, sheesh
--
At ETNZ blog
http://etnzblog.com/#!2011/11/quote-of-the-day-sometimes-it-gets-like-this

#88 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:12 AM

--
At ETNZ blog
http://etnzblog.com/...-gets-like-this

^^^^
OK, GGYC central member. :)

#89 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

"Facts."

This will be fun.

Kiwi troll,

North Dakota village still out looking for you?..or you too busy "preserving assets under heavy air/sea conditions" in your bath tub!?!?Posted Image
You're way too simple-minded to enjoy insulting: one needs a brain to feel insulted.

Kiwi troll in true form.

#90 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:40 AM

so if enough people complain to scott

dickheads get flicked or a time-out right?

http://www.sailingan...tact_editor.php

#91 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:49 AM

--
At ETNZ blog

^^^^

Have never stepped a foot into that YC, but if I get the chance to then I will. Seems like a friendly, and a pretty damn cool, place.

Again, do yourself a favor; please do try to avoid the incessant personal attacks. It's a complete waste of bandwidth. There are far more interesting things going on to talk about than your silly fixations w me and/or SWS.

What's the latest on ET and ALEPH? Any predictions for improvement, in San Diego? Why?

#92 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

Looks like Camper's slowed right down to half the other boats' speed! Hope it's only weather-specific and nothing more serious...

#93 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

--
At ETNZ blog

^^^^

Have never stepped a foot into that YC, but if I get the chance to then I will. Seems like a friendly, and a pretty damn cool, place.

Again, do yourself a favor; please do try to avoid the incessant personal attacks. It's a complete waste of bandwidth. There are far more interesting things going on to talk about than your silly fixations w me and/or SWS.

What's the latest on ET and ALEPH? Any predictions for improvement, in San Diego? Why?

Take it easy SR, it's the forum after all...Hope you have a good drink with Dixie in SD B).

#94 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Looks like Camper's slowed right down to half the other boats' speed! Hope it's only weather-specific and nothing more serious...

Camper and allways take a safe and central route. Puma is far on the North and Groupama deep South.
IMO, Gpma allways took the wrong option, OTOH Puma came back strongly by the North.

#95 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

Camper and allways take a safe and central route. Puma is far on the North and Groupama deep South.
IMO, Gpma allways took the wrong option, OTOH Puma came back strongly by the North.

Great Day 2 videos from Camper...more information also on ETNZ blog.

#96 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

Thanks, good video. Interestingly Camper tacked and is now heading south like Groupama.

#97 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

Thanks, good video. Interestingly Camper tacked and is now heading south like Groupama.

Nice tracking site posted in ORA by ilu:

Tracking
User : teams
Pass : volvo1234
Tracker Plus units...

#98 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Tracking
Tracker Plus units...

Thanks but I can't get in without an account.
That is the page I am using:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/fr/racetracker/rdc.html

#99 Nick Farrell

Nick Farrell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

Tracking
Tracker Plus units...

This link has been de-activated, I'm afraid this is not for public consumption. For public tracking data please visit the main VOR website athttp://volvooceanrace.com

Nick @ YB

#100 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Tracking
Tracker Plus units...

This link has been de-activated, I'm afraid this is not for public consumption. For public tracking data please visit the main VOR website athttp://volvooceanrace.com

Nick @ YB

Oh darn...yours was so much better Posted Image. Hope nobody gets into trouble over it. Btw, why don't you provide the same detailed data in the VOR tracking site?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users