180 replies to this topic

#101 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

At last, a gun thread that even the UK anarchists can relate to.

Like Dorado says,if it doesn't fit you, its waste of time and money.

Beretta silver pigeon, it fitted the first time and that was the main choice.

Anybody got any views on barrel length for different disciplines?

Interesting to me how many people share interests here. Beretta for me too, no US supporters here of the brand ? Shot a Browning once and liked it also. Game season has started, walked/rode past a few shoots on Saturday and Sunday, great to see the dogs out working.

Have shot a Browning and its Miroku equivalent, both nice guns as well. Just picked up a newer model Bettonsoli for fun day clay shooting.

Agreed, its good to see the working dogs out for the season.

Deer might start to be popular soon, especially if they increase the numbers up to 500,000 a year. (just a lot of hoops to jump through for the gun though)

#102 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer.
    Mowing.
    Drinking beer while mowing.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

Remington 1100 12ga. (mine).....
Remington 1100 20ga. (mine and kids).....
Remington 1100 20ga. Youth Special with about 3 stocks as modified as Grabs Jr grew up, and now used by the 10 yr old Grabette Jr. (aka Honeybadger thanks EM).....
Just went halves w/ Jr. in his Benelli Nova pump 12ga. to keep his filthy hands off my 1100....although with it being good for 3 1/2" maybe he'll let me use it duck hunting sometimes :P

BTW all the 1100's over 25 yrs. old

I've heard good things about the Benelli Nova, how do you like it?

Like I said this is Jr's new 12ga......he shot dove with it earlier this year, and he's liking it....I'm so used to my 1100 I wasn't that fired up for it (no pun intended) definitely a bit lighter than the 870 Express he also looked at which I was not real impressed with ( is not in the same category as Remington's old Wingmaster).....recoil not too bad at all....and I think it's gonna be a fine duck gun, can be broken down in a heartbeat, and the rubberized camo really looks like it will make the gun durable out there in the crap....like I said the 3 1/2" option will also be nice.....he's looking forward to using it for turkey hunting also.

In summary, we're not finesse guys, we are pretty hard on equipment, although we do take care of what we use, as is obvious from the longevity of our other shotguns..... really not into the "I need an upgrade" type deal, if our shit is working fine we just keep using it. The Nova looks like it's gonna fit right in with that mindset so far, this coming winter will test that early opinion.

#103 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

AA-12 US military grade, fully automatic shotgun, recoiless, stainless construction, 30 or 40 round drum mags, an assortment of really nasty ammo, from projectile grenades, armor piercing, go through a wall and then explode rounds, or a standard 12 gauge. You can fire 30 rounds in about 4 seconds. Try to count to thirty in 4 seconds!

Damn, and I thought I was the shit with my Stainless Marine. :huh:

I think this guy wins! :D

Hands down!! Love to see a piccy of that baby!!

To hell with that, I want to shoot it! :)

Imagine what your shoulder would feel like after shooting 30 rounds of 00 Buck, on full auto with that puppy! :o

On the other hand, imagine what it would do to a boatload of Somali Pirates! B)

says its recoiless. Must use all the expended energy in the chambering of the next round

#104 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

AA-12 US military grade, fully automatic shotgun, recoiless, stainless construction, 30 or 40 round drum mags, an assortment of really nasty ammo, from projectile grenades, armor piercing, go through a wall and then explode rounds, or a standard 12 gauge. You can fire 30 rounds in about 4 seconds. Try to count to thirty in 4 seconds!

I'd put it on my wish list, but short of joining the forces, don't think i'll ever see one. :( Something tells me I met get thrown out of the clay course as well. :P

Edit

I can see of few more issues with this one.

A shotgun is, broadly speaking for certification purposes, a smooth-barrelled gun which discharges a number of pellets, rather than a single projectile, when it is fired. Shotguns held on a SGC must not be capable of holding more than three cartridges in total. They may be single barrel, double barrel, pump action or semi-automatic, but the three cartridge limit still applies and the barrel(s) must be longer than 24 inches. Pumps and semi-autos must be longer than 40 inches overall.

#105 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

like I said the 3 1/2" option will also be nice.....

boooo.....

2 3/4" ftw!

#106 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

boooo.....

2 3/4" ftw!

Chances are I'll never get my hands on it.....but the little bastard does keep the freezer full of protein.....:ph34r:

Did you not notice that we are "not finesse guys" :P

#107 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

boooo.....

2 3/4" ftw!

Chances are I'll never get my hands on it.....but the little bastard does keep the freezer full of protein.....:ph34r:

I need to stop by for dinner.

#108 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

boooo.....

2 3/4" ftw!

I need to stop by for dinner.

Stone crab claws and redfish last weekend Posted Image

We'll be out in the woods this weekend

Nature can sure as shit be quite bountiful......with the right toys....

#109 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

Alright Sgt. York-iachi
Why dont you explain the theory of how a Mil-dot works and how it's used for ranging ???? :P :blink: :lol:

Uhm....er...stutter-stutter......hrumphffff. Tell ya what....you go first..... :P

Read this
http://www.eabco.com/Reports/MildotRep01.htm

And buy one of these
http://www.mildot.com/

Easy peasy.

#110 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

Interesting to me how many people share interests here. Beretta for me too, no US supporters here of the brand ? Shot a Browning once and liked it also. Game season has started, walked/rode past a few shoots on Saturday and Sunday, great to see the dogs out working.

Beretta 92FS is heavy, but a great 9mm. Worst comes to worst you can throw it at someone.

Colt's are good. I lean to HK's and Glock 17's.

#111 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

Beretta 92FS is heavy, but a great 9mm. Worst comes to worst you can throw it at someone.

I thought we were talking shotguns?

Beretta make kinda crappy handguns actually. HK USP .45 or Sig P226 NSWF for the win!

And Glocks? Srsly? Well, I guess they are cheap, I'll give you that.

#112 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

you want cheap? norinco np22, sig 226 copy. dirt cheap 9mm. half the cost of a glock.

#113 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts
  • Interests:Not dying.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

you want cheap? norinco np22, sig 226 copy. dirt cheap 9mm. half the cost of a glock.

Aren't cheap guns sorta like cheap hookers? Look like shit, suck badly, assembled rather poorly and only good for a couple of shots?....

#114 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,519 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

I thought we were talking shotguns?

Beretta make kinda crappy handguns actually. HK USP .45 or Sig P226 NSWF for the win!

And Glocks? Srsly? Well, I guess they are cheap, I'll give you that.

Glock cheap? Where ya buyin? I want in! My model 21 was $500 new - w/2 extra clips.

#115 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,519 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

Aren't cheap guns sorta like cheap hookers? Look like shit, suck badly, assembled rather poorly and only good for a couple of shots?....

Stay the F*ck away from anything labeled "Davis Industries" - I've got scars on my right thumb from the slide on a nasty little Davis .380 I bought new for $220.00 - fargin' slide split near the rails after only 200 rds.

I hacksawed the miserable thing in half so nobody ELSE would give blood to a shitty design and implementation.

#116 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

Stay the F*ck away from anything labeled "Davis Industries" - I've got scars on my right thumb from the slide on a nasty little Davis .380 I bought new for $220.00 - fargin' slide split near the rails after only 200 rds.

I hacksawed the miserable thing in half so nobody ELSE would give blood to a shitty design and implementation.

The only thing I'd ever buy from Davis Industries are radar relectors.....

#117 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:45 AM

sure, but i can get two of them, go john woo on your ass for a few shots, and when they fail throw them at you.

#118 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Glock cheap? Where ya buyin? I want in! My model 21 was $500 new - w/2 extra clips.

That's cheap! Decent handgun ~ 800-900 bucks.

#119 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,519 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

That's cheap! Decent handgun ~ 800-900 bucks.

That was in 1998, too.
:-)

#120 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

How am I supposed to load these
Posted Image

into one of them?

#121 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

talk to your government about that problem.

#122 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

Posted Image

Anybody?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=670&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

#123 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,519 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

Posted Image

Anybody?

http://www.taurususa...eadcrumbseries=

Great home-defense hand-cannon. Take a look at the personal defense .410 rounds for it - they are 3 copper disks backed up by BBs.

Taurus, btw - has a lifelong customer in me - I bought a small 9-shot .22 revolver just for plinking/teaching handgun safety to family & friends, and had a problem w/the timing of the cylinder advance mechanism.

I called Taurus, got a person, who gave me an RMA #, sent the pistol back (I paid shipping) and two weeks later got my pistol back w/a trigger that felt better than ANY professionally worked revolver I'd ever fired.

My cost? shipping to get the pistol back to Taurus. They stand behind their stuff - and it's good stuff, especially considering the price point .

#124 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Posted Image

Anybody?

http://www.taurususa...eadcrumbseries=

Great home-defense hand-cannon. Take a look at the personal defense .410 rounds for it - they are 3 copper disks backed up by BBs.

Taurus, btw - has a lifelong customer in me - I bought a small 9-shot .22 revolver just for plinking/teaching handgun safety to family & friends, and had a problem w/the timing of the cylinder advance mechanism.

I called Taurus, got a person, who gave me an RMA #, sent the pistol back (I paid shipping) and two weeks later got my pistol back w/a trigger that felt better than ANY professionally worked revolver I'd ever fired.

My cost? shipping to get the pistol back to Taurus. They stand behind their stuff - and it's good stuff, especially considering the price point .

and they're also really, really light.

#125 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

How am I supposed to load these
Posted Image

into one of them?

You need one of these

here comes the judge

edit: mad beat me to it. but my link has a video.

#126 dave-j

dave-j

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Somebody was asking about the Benelli Nova. I have a 12 ga. Use it as my swamp gun for ducks and geese. Never jams, ever. Easy to clean. Pretty indestructible. I consider it more of a tool than a work of art. Great go to gun for bigger birds!

I save the O/U's for upland and clays.

#127 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Somebody was asking about the Benelli Nova. I have a 12 ga. Use it as my swamp gun for ducks and geese. Never jams, ever. Easy to clean. Pretty indestructible. I consider it more of a tool than a work of art. Great go to gun for bigger birds!

ooooooh.... Benellis,

#128 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

Posted Image

Anybody?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=670&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

Yikes! The Mac 26 of handguns . . . :blink:

it's not a good .45 lc and it sure ain't much of a shotgun.

Not knocking Taurus though because they make a pretty decent gun and they've sold a bazillion of these.

#129 Carnivore

Carnivore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

So, I inherited a shotgun from my father-in-law, but living in Canukistan I am not allowed to love it like I want to ...
The gun is a custom 3 barreled made by Krupp between WW1 and WW2. The top 2 barrels are 12 Ga and rifled. The bottom barrel is sized for a 303. The entire barrel is engraved, including the original owner's name. The pin which pops out to break the barrels down is in the middle of a flower design and you cannot see the pin when it is withdrawn.

It was designed to be an elephant gun. He lived in the interior of Sudan (in Wau) and was a trader and the real deal the great white hunter. he was a cabin boy in the Med. .. jumped ship in Egypt at the age of 15 and built a trading business in the MFN.

It is an heirloom and in safe storage with firing pins removed. If I can get to it in the next few days, I'll send some pictures.

LT

#130 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hey C

I'm sure you probably know this, but that's a drilling (pronounced dry ling = 3 barrels)
The barrels are Krupp steel and are "proofed" by them but the gun could have possibly been made by many different
makers such as JP Sauer or Merkel etc... The guns are usually Germanic in origin but not always.

Break open the action and photo all the little emblems and proof marks stamped into the flat machined surfaces and some knowledgable gun nut will be able to decipher the guns pedigree.

These are very cool pieces and can be quite valuable :)

#131 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

So, I inherited a shotgun from my father-in-law, but living in Canukistan I am not allowed to love it like I want to ...
The gun is a custom 3 barreled made by Krupp between WW1 and WW2. The top 2 barrels are 12 Ga and rifled. The bottom barrel is sized for a 303. The entire barrel is engraved, including the original owner's name. The pin which pops out to break the barrels down is in the middle of a flower design and you cannot see the pin when it is withdrawn.

It was designed to be an elephant gun. He lived in the interior of Sudan (in Wau) and was a trader and the real deal the great white hunter. he was a cabin boy in the Med. .. jumped ship in Egypt at the age of 15 and built a trading business in the MFN.

It is an heirloom and in safe storage with firing pins removed. If I can get to it in the next few days, I'll send some pictures.

LT

outstanding, MFN (Middle of Fucking Nowhere?)

#132 El Mariachi

El Mariachi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

LT

outstanding, MFN (Middle of Fucking Nowhere?)

Kryst, a gun like would almost be worth road trippin' for.

(Hey C, you got any palm trees in your back yard that I can camp under?).....

#133 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

Oh lordy . . .

Hey Nurse, hide the checkbook. Quick! :o

#134 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

Posted Image

Anybody?

Yikes! The Mac 26 of handguns . . . :blink:

it's not a good .45 lc and it sure ain't much of a shotgun.

Not knocking Taurus though because they make a pretty decent gun and they've sold a bazillion of these.

Never seen one until it popped up in a search for the cartridges, its not exactly subtle, but at 10 feet I guess it'll work.

#135 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

LT

Can't wait to see the pictures. I want one already.

#136 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

Win Mod. 12 in 12GA. From approx. mid-50's

#137 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

It was designed to be an elephant gun. and was a trader and the real deal the great white hunter.

Cruel to be wackin' a large critter like that w/12ga slugs if'n you can't do the job properly in the first place w/.303. Not knockin' yer ancestor, just sayin'.

.....noted ivory hunter W. D. M. Bell, who shot 1,011 elephants using a 757mm rifle, when most ivory hunters were using larger-caliber rifles. Bell selected the cartridge for moderate recoil, and used 11-gram military full metal jacket bullets for reliable penetration. Bell sectioned an elephant skull to determine the size and location of the brain, and used careful aim to ensure bullet placement in the brain.

#138 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

that's a drilling (pronounced dry ling = 3 barrels)

Drillings.....

#139 coelacanth2

coelacanth2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, sailing gardening and exposing my son to all of the above

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

Friend of mine out West carries a Judge when elk/deer hunting, for bear and wolves. He used to carry a .44 mag but full size they are heavy. FWIW my .44 is a Taurus and it is a nice gun. It seems to like the Hornady LeveRevolution stuff ok and is legal here for handgun season.

#140 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

that's a drilling (pronounced dry ling = 3 barrels)

Drillings.....

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia....Combination_gun

#141 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

LT

how is our beloved cfc screwing you on the rifle? surely it would fall into the unrestricted classification on gauge and barrel length. if they don't know how to deal with it, have it documented by the rcmp. that's all the queen's cowboys are good for these days. or wait a bit for the registry to be finally scrapped and use it at your leisure.

are you licensed? that part isn't going away. if it ends up restricted, you can still play with it at the range. ontario laws are a bit more strict on restricted use and transport than other provinces.

#142 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

LT

how is our beloved cfc screwing you on the rifle? surely it would fall into the unrestricted classification on gauge and barrel length. if they don't know how to deal with it, have it documented by the rcmp. that's all the queen's cowboys are good for these days. or wait a bit for the registry to be finally scrapped and use it at your leisure.

are you licensed? that part isn't going away. if it ends up restricted, you can still play with it at the range. ontario laws are a bit more strict on restricted use and transport than other provinces.

i was at a range in Ontario, south of Hamilton two months ago and saw a nice collection of toys. You guys haven't been completely neutered yet...

#143 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Sorry to sidetrack this convo, but my neighborhood has seen a rash of home invasions lately so the wife wants guns in the house stat!!

Can you guys recommend a shotty that will do the job of home defence, but will be usable by my wife if needed while I am gone sailing? I was thinking Rem 870, but when panicked I am guessing an autoloader might be a better option for the Missus.

Thanks
MS

#144 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Supernova is even better.
Cluck Clucks and the deers hate it.

#145 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Beretta Xtrema 2 for the duck/goose blind.
Huglu 105fe OU for sporting clays and upland.
Remington 870 for everything else or spare for above.

Love them all, shotguns are my favorite type of firearm. Don't get me wrong rifles and pistols are fun, but if given the choice I'd rather break clays than shoot holes in paper.

#146 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

So, I'm looking for an automatic shotgun that's good for skeet - recommendations anyone?

#147 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts
  • Interests:Thistle #3130

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

Mossy 590 pump. 8+1, GRP stock, great ergonomics, with a light, and stone-axe simple. If the wife bent it over my head tonight, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Chinchester 1897 for Cowboy Action Shooting games.

In the back of the safe slumbers my beloved Benelli Super Montefeltro. If Timo gets his act together, I'll pull it out and busts some clays with it for the first time in decades.

Mr. Sq: First, get some formal training for you and your honey-bunch, NRA is a great resourse. This is a very involved and complicated subject. Then, many of the SD/ HD pros recommend a 20 gauge gas-operated semi-automatic with a youth stock. It has to fit both you and your wife. Mossberg's offering in the class has really impressed me. Luck.

#148 Capt Ron

Capt Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

Maverick 88 comes in 12 and 20 ga -- $178 new at WalMart ... Plus you won't feel bad when clearing into St Somewhere on your boat and a local gendarme confiscates it. Likewise a Highpoint automatic in 40 S&W-- $180 with a lifetime warranty.

#149 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

So, I'm looking for an automatic shotgun that's good for skeet - recommendations anyone?

That depends, whats your budget?

#150 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

beginner's budget - want to learn the ropes about skeet and then I want to kick some ass.

#151 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

KM, of all the shooting sorts, the shotgun is the one that is most individualistic. You don't aim a shotty: you point it. It has no rear sight - except for your eye. Your eye has got to be in the perfect position every time. Fit is VERY important.

Go to the range and rent some splatterguns: you'll know which one is right. For me, it was the Benelli.

#152 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

beginner's budget - want to learn the ropes about skeet and then I want to kick some ass.

Here's the thing a new semi on a beginners budget doesn't yield the greatest quality. You might be able to find a nice used semi. If that's the case here's a short list of good semi's that if you find used for a good price I'd jump on it:

Beretta 390, Xtrema 2 or A400(too new to find used at this point)
Remington 1100(might be the best value used) or the new Versa Max
Mossberg 930
Browning... any model

If you can't find a deal on a used semi I'd recommend a pump, remmy 870 or mossy 500. Two reasons, one is that using a pump will allow you to take your time and be more deliberate with shots. The second is once you upgrade to a nice semi you'll have a good spare/HD shotty.

#153 Capt Ron

Capt Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

We shoot sporting clays with the long barrel + skeet choke on the Maverick 88. Great practice ... if you can break the first one, rack the action and knock down the second you'll be a tough customer when it comes to defending your castle. We keep the 18" barrel on it at home. Use #7s or 8s at the range. #1 to #4 buck at home.

#154 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

if you can break the first one, rack the action and knock down the second you'll be a tough customer when it comes to defending your castle.

I've heard the clay pigeon home invasions have had an uptick lately. Very important.

#155 Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

You bastards

It started as "slow, inexorably building",

, but now has relentlessly progressed into "serious & possibly incurable"

, case of "12-semi LUST".

You sunsabishes are gonna cost me a buncha money yet ,, :(

#156 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

You bastards

If you want to skip to the end and just buy what you'll end up with it will go something like this.

12 ga pump with extra 18" barell
12 ga semi
12 ga OU
20 ga pump
20 ga semi
20 ga SxS

AK 47... ok not a shotgun, but every gunowner should have one in the safe.

#157 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Mossy 590 pump. 8+1, GRP stock, great ergonomics, with a light, and stone-axe simple. If the wife bent it over my head tonight, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

In the back of the safe slumbers my beloved Benelli Super Montefeltro. If Timo gets his act together, I'll pull it out and busts some clays with it for the first time in decades.

Mr. Sq: First, get some formal training for you and your honey-bunch, NRA is a great resourse. This is a very involved and complicated subject. Then, many of the SD/ HD pros recommend a 20 gauge gas-operated semi-automatic with a youth stock. It has to fit both you and your wife. Mossberg's offering in the class has really impressed me. Luck.

Them's fighting words, fill your hands...

When's good for you?

We ought to see who else wants to go, they rent guns there. I'm bringing my Parker VS side by side...old school, but even Ricky could hit a clay with it. :P

#158 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

Mr. Sq: First, get some formal training for you and your honey-bunch, NRA is a great resources. This is a very involved and complicated subject. Then, many of the SD/ HD pros recommend a 20 gauge gas-operated semi-automatic with a youth stock. It has to fit both you and your wife. Mossberg's offering in the class has really impressed me. Luck.

When's good for you?

We ought to see who else wants to go, they rent guns there. I'm bringing my Parker VS side by side...old school, but even Ricky could hit a clay with it. :P

Bring it, Wrench-Boy.

How's the weekend of the 14-15th of July? That'll give me time to sneak up there and practice. We doing Trap? Skeet was my game -- as in the past tense. Don't want to be embarrassed any more than necessary. Do you know if BBB still requires the 7/8 oz light loads? They used to frown on splattering the occasional semi.

Maddog and Point might be up for it. Anybody else is of course welcome. Make sure you invite Boothy. That'll make him all warm and fuzzy out there in his own private, soggy Idaho.

#159 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

Mr. Sq: First, get some formal training for you and your honey-bunch, NRA is a great resources. This is a very involved and complicated subject. Then, many of the SD/ HD pros recommend a 20 gauge gas-operated semi-automatic with a youth stock. It has to fit both you and your wife. Mossberg's offering in the class has really impressed me. Luck.

When's good for you?

Bring it, Wrench-Boy.

How's the weekend of the 14-15th of July? That'll give me time to sneak up there and practice. We doing Trap? Skeet was my game -- as in the past tense. Don't want to be embarrassed any more than necessary. Do you know if BBB still requires the 7/8 oz light loads? They used to frown on splattering the occasional semi.

Maddog and Point might be up for it. Anybody else is of course welcome. Make sure you invite Boothy. That'll make him all warm and fuzzy out there in his own private, soggy Idaho.

That's just cruel, mebbe we should send him a case of wd40...B)

14th or 15th both look good for me, I was making up the schedule for next month this morning, I'm off 12, 13, 14. :)

#160 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:23 AM

O'Tay - let's pencil in the afternoon of the 14th at High Noon.

Then some Mechican food in El Bootherarchi's honor.

#161 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

My new toy. It's a magazine-fed 12ga with AR ergonomics for 3-gun competition. It joins a stable that includes an 870 for home, a couple of competition-tuned 1100s, and Citori for helping with that orange-bird infestation.

Posted Image

#162 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

My new toy. It's a magazine-fed 12ga with AR ergonomics for 3-gun competition. It joins a stable that includes an 870 for home, a couple of competition-tuned 1100s, and Citori for helping with that orange-bird infestation.

Posted Image

Oh. Mein. Gott!

How does it run? Reliable? Who makes it? How muchola?

Verrah nice!

#163 sledracr

sledracr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:09 AM

Oh. Mein. Gott!

How does it run? Reliable? Who makes it? How muchola?

Verrah nice!

Base shotgun is called an Akdal (model is MKA-1919), costs about $600. Mine was customized by a company called Firebird Precision, and costs... more :blink:

Haven't shot mine yet (just picked it up a couple hours ago), but landed on it after watching 3-gun Saigas puke all over themselves, while the Akdals run and run and run.

#164 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

Oh man, that's gonna make our Kalifornia Legis-Hippies wet themselves!

Daddy wants!

#165 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,659 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:47 AM

I just wancha guys to know that your douche-suckery today has exceded your douche-suckery from last month. How the hell you Kids sleep at night is beyond me. But please, don't pass on the unpasteurized goat's cheese.....

#166 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:08 AM

I just wancha guys to know that your douche-suckery today has exceded your douche-suckery from last month. How the hell you Kids sleep at night is beyond me. But please, don't pass on the unpasteurized goat's cheese.....

On dry land, in 65 degree low humidity, no mosquito netting comfort...but thanks for asking. B)

#167 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

You bastards

Welcome to the club :P

#168 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,052 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Posted Image

Would love to turn up at the shooting ground with one of those, reckon I'd be there for all of 3 minutes before the difficult conversation with the police started, closely followed by confiscation of gun and license.

#169 Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

My new toy. It's a magazine-fed 12ga with AR ergonomics ,,,
Posted Image

:angry: you bastard , you bastard ,you bastard!!

Oh man, that's gonna make our Kalifornia Legis-Hippies wet themselves!

Shit! , that's makin' MEE wet myself.

:( , gonna have ta start pimpin' my Dog again :(

#170 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
    Mowing.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

When's good for you?

Bring it, Wrench-Boy.

"Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo"......

#171 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

... But please, don't pass on the unpasteurized goat's cheese.....

Hey, isn't that the stuff that offs a couple of Cheby's of Mexicans every year in LA? Not very nice.

Just for that -- I'll post pictures of the range day -- and the real Americanized Mexican food.

#172 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

TacoNazo in El Monte, seriously good fish tacos, and ceviche. And beer.

Mebbe El Boothiachi can get FEMA to send him here out of harms way while Florida dries out...

#173 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,659 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

They're gonna have to jack up the Flouride/Jorgian border at least 15' to drain off all this f'ng water....

#174 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

Taco Nazgul sounds great.

Nice and close to the range.

Their website says they deliver. Meeybe Boothy can call in an order?

#175 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

'member: the Clay Pigeon Smackdown is this Saturday, 14Jul at Triple B.

High Noon!

#176 Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Y'all know the Rules !!

Pics, or it didn't happen.

#177 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Oh, there'll be pics: Of the sensuous steel, deep bluing, fine walnut stocks, functional parkerizing, soulless (but eminently functional) black plastic furniture, and dead clay birdies by the score.

Then the real authentic 'mericaned Mechican food.

Wouldn't be the same without the wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of garb from Forward Base Soggy Boothy.

[Update:] Fittingly, given his sailing avocation, Timo has flaked. The Clay Bird Armageddon may be rescheduled for Sunday (SHMBO willing) or a later date.

#178 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,659 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Oh, there'll be pics: Of the sensuous steel, deep bluing, fine walnut stocks, functional parkerizing, soulless (but eminently functional) black plastic furniture, and dead clay birdies by the score.

Then the real authentic 'mericaned Mechican food.

Wouldn't be the same without the wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of garb from Forward Base Soggy Boothy.

[Update:] Fittingly, given his sailing avocation, Timo has flaked. The Clay Bird Armageddon may be rescheduled for Sunday (SHMBO willing) or a later date.

You can never trust a Chebby guy.....

#179 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Nor Gubbermint Motors.

How yah doin'? Has Floriduh dried out?

BTW, your ol' stompin' grounds got .1 of an inch of rain last night. 50% possibility of T-Storms this afternoon. This has been a year for weird weather.

#180 Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

BTW, your ol' stompin' grounds got .1 of an inch of rain last night. ,,,

:o I'll look for the "declaration of disaster area" on the newz tonite.

? anybody know if Woody is OK ?

#181 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

You're not kidding, Mike.

Here in LaLaLand, it seems like half the drivers will spin-out if challenged by a fog damped street.

This morning there was a sh!tbox in the middle of a cloverleaf on-ramp -- 50 feet into the ice plant. And it looked like the idiot was even able to roll it once or twice. Besides 3/4 of gallon of Mexico's Worst tequila, I can't figure out how it was managed.

Wern't no Harley, so I assume Woody's okay.

That's Life in the Monkey House.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users