268 replies to this topic

#101 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

bmiller - to responce to your original post. I'd seen a few "telemarkers" around in Europe but only on their way to the backcounty. I've never forgotten the first time I saw one on a trail (1989/90 I recall). Double black diamond at Jackson Hole, I'm struggling down a mogul field in broken powder when this guy just bounces right past me. I collapsed in a mixture of appreciation and depression about how sh1t my skiing ability was.

After 2 years living in Singapore really looking forward to a full season in Europe, hopefully we'll have a good snow season.

I think you will find the number of tele skiers has grown since you last skied.

Active bindings, big plastic boots and auto pilot skiis have taken the turn to new levels. It's really opened up this variation of the sport.

For some people it's a big cultural thing, the whole tele/alpine/snowboard/blades/snowbike debate. For me it's all just sliding on snow with differing methods of making a turn. As long as you're smiling, it's all good.

#102 j24vt

j24vt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Interests:J24s

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

Teaching little kids (under that age of 6):

1. Only go on perfect days
2. Let them wear the boots around the house before you go to the mountain
3. Edgie-wedgie and a harness will save your back.
4. Start at the magic carpet, don't even consider the lift until they are BEGGING you.
5. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS leave the mountain before they are ready to go. You want them crying because they are leaving, not because they are tired.
6. End the day with hot chocolate and pizza in the Lodge.

Before the age of six you need to remember that their equipment weighs almost as much as they do and really the only thing you can teach them is to not like skiing. Keep it fun and have no expectations other than hot chocolate at the end of the day. Watch their faces and leave before they are done.

An opinion on why starting with an Edgie-wedgie should be considered: http://skischooltale...s-the-question/

#103 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

4. Start at the magic carpet, don't even consider the lift until they are BEGGING you.
5. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS leave the mountain before they are ready to go. You want them crying because they are leaving, not because they are tired.

Before the age of six you need to remember that their equipment weighs almost as much as they do and really the only thing you can teach them is to not like skiing. Keep it fun and have no expectations other than hot chocolate at the end of the day. Watch their faces and leave before they are done.

An opinion on why starting with an Edgie-wedgie should be considered: http://skischooltale...s-the-question/

All this and more. Even if the "lesson" turns into a snowball fight it's good if the kid is smiling at the end.

My grandson and I exchange letters, real actual hand written letters. Got one yesterday, he says he's ready to ski, and he wants me to take him. My season has new meaning this year.

#104 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

This really speaks to me, especially points 4-6. The intent is to get them used to the hill and show them that this is fun. Thank you.

#105 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

Kid had skis as soon as he could walk. Good sunny days helped, but I threw him in the backpack when it got alittle iffy. That lasted about 3 days then he was off on his own. Skied between my legs when he got in over his head. Carried him down the bumpy stuff if he got in trouble at that age, but as soon as he was comfortable he was on his own. Got a leash, only had to use that for a couple of days, but that got him stopping and turning on his own. Biggest thing is to make them cary their own stuff from day 1. Do not give them the option of quitting once 1/2 way down and it gets hard. Always make them get their own stuff to the car. Pays off astronomically in the long run. The kid and I laugh at the dads with tweens that won't carry their own stuff. Makes for good entertainment when munching sammies out of the trunk at lunch.

#106 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • Interests:performance sailing, downhill skiing, music

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Kid had skis as soon as he could walk. Good sunny days helped, but I threw him in the backpack when it got alittle iffy. That lasted about 3 days then he was off on his own. Skied between my legs when he got in over his head. Carried him down the bumpy stuff if he got in trouble at that age, but as soon as he was comfortable he was on his own. Got a leash, only had to use that for a couple of days, but that got him stopping and turning on his own. Biggest thing is to make them cary their own stuff from day 1. Do not give them the option of quitting once 1/2 way down and it gets hard. Always make them get their own stuff to the car. Pays off astronomically in the long run. The kid and I laugh at the dads with tweens that won't carry their own stuff. Makes for good entertainment when munching sammies out of the trunk at lunch.

Nice. All of it. Including IMO show 'em some bad weather. Between the legs works great for one kid, but even better with a group--you spend time with the weakest member and (this is big) keep the group moving. The precocious kids who are strong? Put 'em in charge of collecting the others at a specific spot, because staying in contact with all is the biggest prob.

J24vt this may be the best comment on the board about kids and skiing: "really the only thing you can teach them is to not like skiing".
Thanks for edgie wedgie bit. Probably I won't be using them (the name has gotta go too) but I'd like to hear from someone who gets results with them.

@ Barkley congrats on your new student. How old? Is he hardy?
Barkley if you are still on "pencil skiis" then you are not as scary as your avatar.
You are in for a treat.

#107 bored broker

bored broker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:anything on water. Liquid or solid.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

Nice. All of it. Including IMO show 'em some bad weather. Between the legs works great for one kid, but even better with a group--you spend time with the weakest member and (this is big) keep the group moving. The precocious kids who are strong? Put 'em in charge of collecting the others at a specific spot, because staying in contact with all is the biggest prob.

J24vt this may be the best comment on the board about kids and skiing: "really the only thing you can teach them is to not like skiing".
Thanks for edgie wedgie bit. Probably I won't be using them but I'd like to hear from someone who gets results with them.

Instead of a "Edgie-Wedgie" I use two 1" c-clamps with a small line tied between them. You can varie the length of the line to get different results and eventuly you can have the line "fall off" while the kids are skiing to get them over the hurdle that comes with using some teaching aids.

#108 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

Have used with my kids the "wedgie-edgie" type gadget, useful for a very short while but not something to get them too used to. I'd say by the time you are wanting to take them on a proper lift they should be off those. The harnesses are useful.

Kids are obsessed with boarding now anyway. Skiing is for us oldies.

#109 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

@ Barkley congrats on your new student. How old? Is he hardy?
Barkley if you are still on "pencil skiis" then you are not as scary as your avatar.
You are in for a treat.

RE my students, here they are a few months ago:

Posted Image

My son is now 18 months and is a brute - he'll be fine. My daughter is also really excited and likes to walk around the living room in her new ski boots. Re not scary and in for a treat, you're right on both counts.

#110 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

Have used with my kids the "wedgie-edgie" type gadget, useful for a very short while but not something to get them too used to. I'd say by the time you are wanting to take them on a proper lift they should be off those. The harnesses are useful.

Kids are obsessed with boarding now anyway. Skiing is for us oldies. Beg to differ Jambala

The funeral for alpine skiing is premature. You may be missing something. Miles of snow. Right in front of you, stretching forever into the beautifuol hills in the fresh air.
You can go explore much of it on skiis, even without lifts. Snowshoes viable too.. But snowboards have all-mountain limits on flat terrain.
And they can't punch first tracks on the flat. No offense, but for example inviting snowboarders on any route with a significant traverse section might be avoided.

And don't call me a snowboard hater because I noticed how they saved the "ski industry". They are often my preferred company due to outlook and fun factor.
They night ride in numbers and know the snow parks too.
The only snowboarder I hate is Wofsey I guess..

Skis for dinosaures only? Naw. As long as that beautiful snow is laying on the hills, skis will be easy to sell to certain types.

#111 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

Always had the deal with the kid that once he could beat me on skis I would buy him a board. I am still faster, but once he gets longer skis watch out(he's doing backflips and souch in the park now so I donno when that will be). Proudest moment on skis was last year when I asked him if he wanted to board. "Nope, Boards are for weenies, I can do so much more on skis".

Alittle tear streamed down and froze on my cheek that day. :D

#112 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

I can ski ice like you read about, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Explanation or it never happened.

I like ice in a self-inflicted-wound kind of way... But the terror factor is higher since my edging is holding inconsistently. (Need a shop tuneup for one thing.)
Worst might be boiler plate but inconsistent ice throws you around even worse.

I like the good ice turns fine, just not enough of them.
As far as sharp edges is anybody using a file on the beveled angle side? Use a gizmo?
Anybody get specific about how a shop tunes your boards? Or how you do?

If this is the wrong thread ok by me.

#113 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

The funeral for alpine skiing is premature.

Skis for dinosaures only? Naw. As long as that beautiful snow is laying on the hills, skis will be easy to sell to certain types.

+1. My son and I ski the steeps of Taos, double black chutes and trees. There are so few boarders who can actually cook in that terrain that they are statistically insignificant. We really worry about some of them when it gets firm and slippery in the steeps, they seem to be handicapped when it comes to self-arrest. In tight, steep trees the skiers are just much faster and controlled.

Most of the strong kids at Taos are on skis. Most of the boarders are in the terrain "park", not out on real terrain. This is local to Taos, I think, since I see some very strong boarders at A-Basin on Turbo, Palli and the Alleys. Or maybe that's just local to A-Basin.

#114 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

Slightly tongue in cheek from me but 2 of my 3 kids board now although interestingly the best skier still skis and didn't like the boarding.

#115 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

Albeit it's not as fast or as convenient as skis, a split board with skins will take you anywhere you're willing to go.

Posted Image

#116 j24vt

j24vt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

I like ice in a self-inflicted-wound kind of way... But the terror factor is higher since my edging is holding inconsistently. (Need a shop tuneup for one thing.)

As far as sharp edges is anybody using a file on the beveled angle side? Use a gizmo?

This is a good DIY guide: http://www.skituning101.com/

Couple thoughts:

- Don't use P-Tex candles to try to fill in gouges in your base. You need a gun to get the P-Tex hot enough to bond to the base.
- Have a ski shop stone grind the bases to get them flat and put a structure into the base (prevents suction from slowing the ski).
- Sharp edges are a must in the East.
- 1 degree base edge, 2 degree side bevel are good general all mountain carving edges.
- You can hand file them occasionally with a diamond stone/file guide. Use the diamond stone to knock down any burrs from hitting rocks.

Edges are untreated metal and will rust instantly. Put some wax on them before you load them into the roof rack for the trip to the mountain or before you throw them in the basement for the summer. If you don't have ski wax handy, use a candle or crayon to rub on a thin layer. It will keep the edges from rusting/pitting and it comes off as soon as you start skiing.

It's not skiing if you can't hear the snow :)

#117 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

he who can land anything:

#118 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

This is a good DIY guide: http://www.skituning101.com/

Couple thoughts:

- Don't use P-Tex candles to try to fill in gouges in your base. You need a gun to get the P-Tex hot enough to bond to the base.
- Have a ski shop stone grind the bases to get them flat and put a structure into the base (prevents suction from slowing the ski).
- Sharp edges are a must in the East.
- 1 degree base edge, 2 degree side bevel are good general all mountain carving edges.
- You can hand file them occasionally with a diamond stone/file guide. Use the diamond stone to knock down any burrs from hitting rocks.

Edges are untreated metal and will rust instantly. Put some wax on them before you load them into the roof rack for the trip to the mountain or before you throw them in the basement for the summer. If you don't have ski wax handy, use a candle or crayon to rub on a thin layer. It will keep the edges from rusting/pitting and it comes off as soon as you start skiing.

It's not skiing if you can't hear the snow :)

J24vt the Ski Tuning 101 article is perfect. Still reading.

Being practical here, I gotta assume hand filing by mortals messes with these degrees a bit. Should you even touch them without that jig?
I'm listening (so keep speaking) but dry diamond stones are designed to cut with a spoonful of water. I mean try it on your pocket knife and watch the water turn mettalic.
Now try it without. Minimal effect on tool blades without liquid IME. So are you using water on the ski edges?
Many grizzled skiers in the PNW stopped buying ski wax 20 years ago and use common parafin. Roast us here if you can.
I don't race now but I haven't noticed the down side when I don't scrape the wax off. Comments?
Anybody come up with a generic wax solvent?
I had to give up on bags for my skiis, the rust factor became about ten times worse, seemed to condense moisture in the bags.

#119 j24vt

j24vt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

You can hand file to deburr the edges. You need a jig to bevel the edges by hand. I have a coffee cup of the emulsion we use in the Wintersteiger Edger that I dip the diamond stone in when deburring/detuning.

The skis will glide MUCH better if you scrape off the excess wax.

We use a citrus based wax remover - I'll check the label the next time I'm at the shop.

Bags are good for travelling, bad for storage.

#120 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

J24vt the Ski Tuning 101 article is perfect. Still reading.

Being practical here, I gotta assume hand filing by mortals messes with these degrees a bit. Should you even touch them without that jig?
I'm listening (so keep speaking) but dry diamond stones are designed to cut with a spoonful of water. I mean try it on your pocket knife and watch the water turn mettalic.
Now try it without. Minimal effect on tool blades without liquid IME. So are you using water on the ski edges?
Many grizzled skiers in the PNW stopped buying ski wax 20 years ago and use common parafin. Roast us here if you can.
I don't race now but I haven't noticed the down side when I don't scrape the wax off. Comments?
Anybody come up with a generic wax solvent?
I had to give up on bags for my skiis, the rust factor became about ten times worse, seemed to condense moisture in the bags.

There's no way you can accurately tell a degree difference by hand. Plus some of the guides make it easy where you can dial in the angle you want.

The whole idea behind the wax is to create the correct water film thickness under the ski. As you probably know, the ski/board doesn't actually ride on snow, but a thin film of water due to friction. Ski wax has different additives corresponding to different snow temperatures to optimize the thickness of that water film. Paraffin works better than nothing, but it could be better. I'm surprised you haven't noticed the difference when you don't scrape off the wax. Could be because the snow is hard enough, but you should notice a lot more friction when you get into the softer stuff. You would also notice that there is more friction with the paraffin than the correct wax in those conditions too.

Edit- Found a wikipedia article. It does mention that paraffin has been a widely used wax for wet friction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_wax

#121 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

he who can land anything:

SETH MORRISON BUSTED BY SKI PATROL

Let's look at the end of this very cool flick. And maybe discuss some or any Safety Anarchy.

(Of hairy note: :50 Camera footage stops as he is racing an avalanche cloud and snowslide tip to his necessary entrance into a bowl.)

3:00 (WTF? Is that 75 or 80 degrees?) Shows a slow motion forward roll over a cliff. Ski comes flying out of the landing poof and tumbles, but he's doing fine on the other ski and seems to intersect the loose ski.
He is at this moment racing another snowslide (maybe avalanche) which he set off. The tip of the moving slide is about ten feet away and abreast and will likely sluff on his ski.

3:25 Different run. Snowslide on skier right.and behind Seth. Entire parallel gulch is draining on his left, more avalanche than snowslide. He takes a cliff (nicely) after skiing river of douche snow on his takeoff area.
3:28 He seems to bounce out of the landing to his left so he calls it a turn...
3:30 This seems to be a certain fall onto his right side, except for him making it a nice "airplane turn" with javelin on his inside ski, turning back to the right.
Nice move.
It's great footage, and both are near-death on film too.

Beautiful stuff except for Shane and Jamie being gone and for our wanting to stick around.
The"extreme" side of the sport and You Tube may be a bad mix. (FFwd Lawwy and Wussel and their Facebook generation goals.)
Nice job Seth, but too many of us share with you that we like backcountry alpine and tele first and safety second..

Somewhat full disclosure: I got buried in cement snow ~ 2006 out of bounds. Partner found me in ten minutes. Never got to using the beepers.
I was fucked and by the way what they say is true you may think about your mother.

#122 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

I see alot of sluff, nothing that would knock down or concern someone who spent 2-3 years eating/drinking/living/skiing with Coombs (notably the 2-3 years before his departure, and in Ordinary Skiier, the new seth movie by oakley, he goes back to yurp and skis Coombs' lines) also not someone considering he lives up there during the season to ski something that he didn't think was safe.

But lets also look at the angles he's skiing, way beyond normal human shit. And my mind still boggles at 100+ foot forward flips.

#123 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:31 AM

And the next variation of snow sliding is:
Pow surfing

#124 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#125 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

/\ FAST /\ FAST /\ FAST /\

Have you been following the proposed FIS rule changes?

#126 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

Not following rule changes, no. Not much inside ski advancement here...
Posted ImageePosted ImagePosted Image

#127 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:26 AM

Telemark:
A Norwegian word, loosely translated means "Hey wait for me!!"

#128 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

Telemark:

I thought the translation was "broken bindings".
Silly me

#129 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#130 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

Telemark:

Silly me

Understandable confusion.

Did you know "Randonee" is French for "I can't tele"

Posted Image

#131 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Telemark:

Silly me

Understandable confusion.

Did you know "Randonee" is French for "I can't tele"

Posted Image

I was aware of that thank you.

#132 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

From "Boats dodging rocks in narrow channel" thread. http://forums.sailin...5

Sorry, but not very interesting.

How about FIS dodging rocks in Europe and moving the race to Beaver Creek. And what about Lindsay Vonn? Is any of that more interesting than a bridge or boats in a narrow channel?

Yep.

Did you know that LV is divorcing her husband.......

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Imagehttp://f

#133 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

How about FIS dodging rocks in Europe and moving the race to Beaver Creek. And what about Lindsay Vonn? Is any of that more interesting than a bridge or boats in a narrow channel?

Yep.

Posted Image Posted Image

This I did not know, so occasionally DoRag does have some interesting info.

#134 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Four minutes of slo-mo Lindsay in slalom gates. Very fluid; worth a click. She loses race at 2:38.

Downhill action slide show on this one--two championships in 2008.
http://www.youtube.c...DQ&feature=fvst

#135 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

Yep.

Posted Image Posted Image

This I did not know, so occasionally DoRag does have some interesting info.

DoRag might find this interesting. Lindsay on a date with a 16 year old.

#136 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

DoRag might find this interesting. Lindsay on a date with a 16 year old.

Well, just in case that didn't do it for him...
Posted Image

#137 grabbler

grabbler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer.
    Mowing.
    Drinking beer while mowing.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

Wondering what the current thinking in bindings is......I kinda like the look of these.....

Posted Image

#138 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Didier Cuche. SKI magazine asks: Is this the fastest skier on the planet? Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#139 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

#140 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

yesterday Lindsey Vonn Wins World Cup Ski Downhill by Almost Two Seconds in Canada

By Rob Gloster - Dec 2, 2011 1:33 PM
55);>The almost two-second gap between Vonn and the rest of the field is unusual in World Cup downhills, which often are decided by hundredths of seconds"Skiing is the thing that is working in my life," Vonn, who announced last weekend that she is getting divorced, said in a television interview. "It is a dream for me to have a victory at this moment."

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Lindsey Vonn wins World Cup downhill
Lindsey Vonn of Vail, Colo., won the World Cup women's downhill event Friday in Lake Louise, Alberta, for her ninth career victory at the Canadian resort.

Skiing

Vonn wins World Cup downhill

Lindsey Vonn of Vail, Colo., won the World Cup women's downhill event Friday in Lake Louise, Alberta, for her ninth career victory at the Canadian resort.

Vonn finished in 1 minute, 53.19 seconds to beat Liechtenstein's Tina Weirather by 1.95 seconds the largest victory margin in Vonn's downhill career.

Switzerland's Dominique Gisin was third in 1:55.29.

"I mean, two seconds, that's crazy," Gisin said. "We will try to be a little bit closer to Lindsey tomorrow. That's probably the only thing you can hope for."

Vonn has won at least one race at Lake Louise in eight consecutive years.

"It can't be more peaceful and amazing with the mountains here," said Vonn, fourth on the women's career list with 43 World Cup victories. "I would prefer to have every race here in Lake Louise, but I don't think they'll let me."

Vonn, the reigning Olympic downhill champion, recently confirmed she and her husband of four years, Thomas Vonn, are divorcing. Thomas Vonn had overseen many aspects of her career.

"Right now, skiing is the best thing for me," Lindsey Vonn said. "When I'm on my skis and on the mountain, I feel calm and feel comfortable."

also yesterday Miller captures men's downhill

Bode Miller of Franconia, N.H., won the men's World Cup downhill in Beaver Creek, Colo., to mark the first time since Dec. 3, 2004, an American man and woman won Cup downhills on the same day.

Miller finished in 1 minute, 43.82 seconds for his 33rd World Cup victory, holding off Beat Feuz of Switzerland by 0.04 seconds.

"The stuff I pulled off today, it doesn't work all the time," Miller said. "Three out of 10 times, you try that and it works. The other six, you end up in the fence."

And the 10th?

"In the hospital," Miller said.

#141 riracer

riracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  • Interests:You're on SA and wondering???

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

also yesterday Miller captures men's downhill

Bode Miller of Franconia, N.H., won the men's World Cup downhill in Beaver Creek, Colo., to mark the first time since Dec. 3, 2004, an American man and woman won Cup downhills on the same day.

Miller finished in 1 minute, 43.82 seconds for his 33rd World Cup victory, holding off Beat Feuz of Switzerland by 0.04 seconds.

"The stuff I pulled off today, it doesn't work all the time," Miller said. "Three out of 10 times, you try that and it works. The other six, you end up in the fence."

And the 10th?

"In the hospital," Miller said.[/size][/font]

Classic Bode!

#142 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:06 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Two on left are Bode DH. 12-2-11 World Cup shots.
Jangles 13 see arm positions in center photos, may be examples of what I mentioned. But balanced, no doubt even in air.

#143 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

Posted ImageUnknown World Cup skiers 12-2-11.
Somebody, ANYBODY, care to say how much angle is too much? (Enough to make the turn heh heh)
He just about has his inside shoulder higher, is actually leaning inside.
Wouldn't call that skidding though.

Posted ImageBUSTED IN PSIA EXAMS: They would say arms look "contrived" imo..
Shockeroo he's skidding. Might fail Level III Skill test..

#144 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Posted Image

Telemark:

Not so sure bmiller. This tele skier ^^^ has cleaner dynamic than 99% alpine rec skiers imo.

I just ski alpine but I see real-time tele guys doing stuff which, if I chose to do, would not do at their speed, or with their grace.
Beyond that, the odds of finding a serious, trained, real mountaineer AND skier on tele gear seems higher that with the average rec alpine skier..
Maybe just a PNW thing but when I see any tele guy on resort area ridge hikes I'm scareda that.

#145 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

Every sport has it's freaks.

#146 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Got 8 minutes to spare?

My link

#147 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Got 8 minutes to spare?

My link

Awesome footage, thanks. 8 intense minutes.

I notice that most of those runs end in straightline speed/ no-turn runouts.
To each his own, but there is no line I would lay out that way. Not intentionally. Skier had no options. ergo no control.

I love the heletcams, --things like skidding to burn off speed, and throwing arms to make corners. They show pragmatic turns
Beautiful shots, but the avalanche flirting, again, is creepy, right there with snuff flick voyeur type attraction.

For the sake of discussion, how would you feel about your daughter dating one of those guys?

#148 skew

skew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

My daughters do that shit, and they are too young to date...

#149 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

Monarch opened today. Didn't suck at all.
All natural snow is so much nicer than the manmade stuff we've been sliding on. May have to wait a few more weeks but it's worth it.

#150 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:46 AM

This is just plain fun to watch. You can skip the artsy stuff by starting at 2:00

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#151 funkyjello

funkyjello

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Lots o stuff

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:58 AM

On the best coast all I can say is where is the fucking snow.

On the fis front watching the gals at aspen in gs and slalom I have to say damn that 16 yo us gal is rockin and Ms mancuso is focused early. Vonn is also hot out of the gate. Gonna be a fun racing season. Can't wait until I get to ski....

#152 funkyjello

funkyjello

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:13 AM

Oh, and as I've said under different credentials for the last 5 years or so here, bode Miller has been the single biggest non-equipment influence in ski racing since just try to name. Killy? Stenmark? Tomba? The herminator? Even Hermann Meier never really pushed the envelope like Miller. By far he's the most innovative skier of his generation. Just ask his competitors of the last 10 years.

#153 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Oh, and as I've said under different credentials for the last 5 years or so here, bode Miller has been the single biggest non-equipment influence in ski racing since just try to name. Killy? Stenmark? Tomba? The herminator? Even Hermann Meier never really pushed the envelope like Miller. By far he's the most innovative skier of his generation. Just ask his competitors of the last 10 years.

In the US maybe. I recognise his talent, results and his alternative approach but most innovative racer what does that really count for? I'm not sure too many European kids want to emulate Bode Miller. I'd expect his name recognition to be a fraction of Shaun White's who's clearly more innovative.

#154 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

Posted Image

#155 funkyjello

funkyjello

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

In the US maybe. I recognise his talent, results and his alternative approach but most innovative racer what does that really count for? I'm not sure too many European kids want to emulate Bode Miller. I'd expect his name recognition to be a fraction of Shaun White's who's clearly more innovative.

Uhhh. If you saw Benjamin raich ski before bode and after bode you would understand whatt I said. If you saw the women in slalom last weekend and them 5 years ago that would also help you understand. I've been watching ski racing for years. Its unmistakable. That's why he's a legend in Europe where they actually pay attention. Dude won the overall world cup two times as an almost self trained single individual against Austrian and Swiss ski factories.

#156 funkyjello

funkyjello

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

Posted Image

Posting pictures of yourself while trolling for screaming butt pilots is a Tad overt. This is seriuos macho sportsman thread.

#157 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:11 AM

Best day of the year so far. Got to ski with my grandson.

Posted Image

#158 Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Posted Image

Awesome! You've saved us from ourselves. Wish it were me!

#159 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

Posted Image

Awesome! You've saved us from ourselves. Wish it were me!

Excellent, where were ya? been a very brown week up in Vail. thinking about hitting Keystone tomorrow and cutting our week short so
my daughter can go ski some pow pow in Michigan LOL

#160 John Gault

John Gault

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:08 AM

Uhhh. If you saw Benjamin raich ski before bode and after bode you would understand whatt I said. If you saw the women in slalom last weekend and them 5 years ago that would also help you understand. I've been watching ski racing for years. Its unmistakable. That's why he's a legend in Europe where they actually pay attention. Dude won the overall world cup two times as an almost self trained single individual against Austrian and Swiss ski factories.

Bode Miller was a great athlete and a good skier, and Billy Johnson was a good skier (but not a great athlete). Neither makes my top 10 list during their generation, nor in the history of the sport. I honestly don't think you've been "watching ski racing" long enough or close enough to know what you're talking about. But that's okay...

#161 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:47 AM

Bode Miller was a great athlete and a good skier, and Billy Johnson was a good skier (but not a great athlete). Neither makes my top 10 list during their generation, nor in the history of the sport. I honestly don't think you've been "watching ski racing" long enough or close enough to know what you're talking about. But that's okay...

Hey JG, go into that a little for us. I'm not differeing, just trying to learn. Can you tell us how you conclude that, technically or otherwise?
Bode has more wins that any US skier, ever, not that that has any global thunder.

My home town in Wenatchee, WA, at the Eastern edge of the Cascades against the Columbia River. You see the whole 700 ft valley from the 5600-ft ski ridge.
I waited six seasons for Mission Ridge Ski Area to open while skiing at Squilchuck St. Park. Mission Ridge is a smaller, modest area with few steeps to speak of. The lower portion is a long, flat run-out where naturally you will work a flat ski just to get to the sandwiches. The '84 Olympics were at Sarajevo, with a flat run-out downhill coarse.

Downhiller Johnson Is Critically Injured
March 23, 2001|EARL GUSTKEY | TIMES STAFF WRITERBilly Johnson, who predicted for weeks that he would win the 1984 Olympic downhill ski race and then did just that, was critically injured and hospitalized in a coma in Whitefish, Mont., Thursday after crashing in a downhill.

U.S. ski team spokesman Tom Kelly said Johnson was in "extremely critical condition" with "severe head trauma."

Johnson, originally from Van Nuys, was unconscious when he was taken by helicopter to a Kalispell hospital 20 miles away. Moments before, spectators had heard him calling for help as he lay in the snow, bleeding from the head.

Posted ImageHe fell face-first when his skis separated, then went through two restraining fences about halfway down the Big Mountain Resort run.

Johnson, 40, was in the midst of a comeback, having competed in regional competitions in a bid to compete at the World Cup level. He was considered a longshot to make next year's Olympic team.

He was ranked 404th in the world downhill rankings and 577th in super-G.

"He came off a launch pad and executed the landing perfectly, then entered the corkscrew section," said Kelly.

"It's a right, left, right turn and he was coming into the second turn. The netting did its job but he did have a significant impact with the snow."

In a career marked by frequent clashes with coaches and competitors, Johnson was more than once referred to as "skiing's John McEnroe."

Outrageous, arrogant, undisciplined--and sometimes downright unlawful--Johnson had difficulty fitting into the discipline of U.S. skiing after learning the sport as a 7-year-old on the slopes of Bogus Basin near Boise, Idaho.

As a teen, he lived a checkered life and ran with friends who enjoyed housebreaking and car theft. After one scrape with police, a lenient judge approved his exile to the Mission Ridge Ski Academy in Washington state.

His coach there, Dick Knowles, remembered years later Johnson working hard to reach international status, but added, "He was never the type of person to say thank you."

Johnson had made the 1980 U.S. Olympic team in 1979 but was thrown off by coach Bill Marolt for being out of shape. After Marolt took him back in 1982, Johnson learned to form the best aerodynamic shape in wind tunnel training of any U.S. skier.

Johnson and a teammate, JoJo Webber, were kicked off the team again briefly in 1982, for having "too much fun."

In the days before he won his gold medal at Sarajevo, Yugoslavia, at 23, Johnson, like boxer Cassius Clay at Rome in 1960, walked about the Olympic athletes' village at Sarajevo, assuring everyone within earshot that only he had a shot at the gold medal.

At a news conference an hour after his victory, he was asked what the win meant personally to him.

"Millions!" he said.

He spoke of a need for an agent.

"Heck, I bet Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's agent is probably over at my house right now."

Tragedy struck the fun-loving Johnson and his wife, Gina, in 1991. His 13-month-old son, Ryan, fell into a hot tub at their Lake Tahoe home. Submerged for at least four minutes, the child died at a hospital after three weeks of intensive care.

Posted Image<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

#162 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Excellent, where were ya? been a very brown week up in Vail. thinking about hitting Keystone tomorrow and cutting our week short so

Copper Mountain, Green Acres, just before heading to the big stuff. I think he's ready for the world cup.

#163 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:13 AM

Copper Mountain, Green Acres, just before heading to the big stuff. I think he's ready for the world cup.

Terrific! Gawd I haven't skied copper in years. I probably will when I come back out in a couple weeks.

today we hit Keystone, Breck, the Beav and Vail on a mission. Did one run each at the first three and finished out our day on the home turf. I think Keystone had the best conditions.. gonna head back up there tomorrow.

#164 John Gault

John Gault

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

http://en.wikipedia....n_alpine_skiing

http://en.wikipedia....World_Champions

#165 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hey JG, go into that a little for us. I'm not differeing, just trying to learn. Can you tell us how you conclude that, technically or otherwise?
Bode has more wins that any US skier, ever, not that that has any global thunder.

My home town in Wenatchee, WA, at the Eastern edge of the Cascades against the Columbia River. You see the whole 700 ft valley from the 5600-ft ski ridge.
I waited six seasons for Mission Ridge Ski Area to open while skiing at Squilchuck St. Park. Mission Ridge is a smaller, modest area with few steeps to speak of. The lower portion is a long, flat run-out where naturally you will work a flat ski just to get to the sandwiches. The '84 Olympics were at Sarajevo, with a flat run-out downhill coarse.

Downhiller Johnson Is Critically Injured
March 23, 2001|EARL GUSTKEY | TIMES STAFF WRITERBilly Johnson, who predicted for weeks that he would win the 1984 Olympic downhill ski race and then did just that, was critically injured and hospitalized in a coma in Whitefish, Mont., Thursday after crashing in a downhill.

U.S. ski team spokesman Tom Kelly said Johnson was in "extremely critical condition" with "severe head trauma."

Johnson, originally from Van Nuys, was unconscious when he was taken by helicopter to a Kalispell hospital 20 miles away. Moments before, spectators had heard him calling for help as he lay in the snow, bleeding from the head.

Posted ImageHe fell face-first when his skis separated, then went through two restraining fences about halfway down the Big Mountain Resort run.

Johnson, 40, was in the midst of a comeback, having competed in regional competitions in a bid to compete at the World Cup level. He was considered a longshot to make next year's Olympic team.

He was ranked 404th in the world downhill rankings and 577th in super-G.

"He came off a launch pad and executed the landing perfectly, then entered the corkscrew section," said Kelly.

"It's a right, left, right turn and he was coming into the second turn. The netting did its job but he did have a significant impact with the snow."

In a career marked by frequent clashes with coaches and competitors, Johnson was more than once referred to as "skiing's John McEnroe."

Outrageous, arrogant, undisciplined--and sometimes downright unlawful--Johnson had difficulty fitting into the discipline of U.S. skiing after learning the sport as a 7-year-old on the slopes of Bogus Basin near Boise, Idaho.

As a teen, he lived a checkered life and ran with friends who enjoyed housebreaking and car theft. After one scrape with police, a lenient judge approved his exile to the Mission Ridge Ski Academy in Washington state.

His coach there, Dick Knowles, remembered years later Johnson working hard to reach international status, but added, "He was never the type of person to say thank you."

Johnson had made the 1980 U.S. Olympic team in 1979 but was thrown off by coach Bill Marolt for being out of shape. After Marolt took him back in 1982, Johnson learned to form the best aerodynamic shape in wind tunnel training of any U.S. skier.

Johnson and a teammate, JoJo Webber, were kicked off the team again briefly in 1982, for having "too much fun."

In the days before he won his gold medal at Sarajevo, Yugoslavia, at 23, Johnson, like boxer Cassius Clay at Rome in 1960, walked about the Olympic athletes' village at Sarajevo, assuring everyone within earshot that only he had a shot at the gold medal.

At a news conference an hour after his victory, he was asked what the win meant personally to him.

"Millions!" he said.

He spoke of a need for an agent.

"Heck, I bet Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's agent is probably over at my house right now."

Tragedy struck the fun-loving Johnson and his wife, Gina, in 1991. His 13-month-old son, Ryan, fell into a hot tub at their Lake Tahoe home. Submerged for at least four minutes, the child died at a hospital after three weeks of intensive care.

Posted Image<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

so he was an asshole and a murderer?

#166 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Terrific! Gawd I haven't skied copper in years. I probably will when I come back out in a couple weeks.

today we hit Keystone, Breck, the Beav and Vail on a mission. Did one run each at the first three and finished out our day on the home turf. I think Keystone had the best conditions.. gonna head back up there tomorrow.

Give a shout when you do. Do you have a source for tix?

Pray for snow!

#167 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

White here. About 130" total snowfall at Stevens Pass, WA,
24 to 30" the past half week, with 37"currently measured.
Come on out, boys.

That kid still smiling, bmiller?

Bode placed 5th in the recent downhill,
Lindsey Vonn ahead on overall points but placed third IIRC. What a babe.Posted Image

#168 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

I tell ya we better have an epic spring.... This sux. All brown nothing since before x mass. Feel sorry for you guys spending the coin to come out this season and if you do come out, bring your rock skis. Worst thing is that the the snowpack is only like 75% of average, so we aint gettin no h20 this summer.

Article here

http://www.denverpos...0350?source=rss

Edit: Look behind the Smilin kid and the old fart.... :rolleyes: That is what we got. Everything else is man made..... Sad really

#169 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

Posted Image

"Half the binding twice the fun!" :D

"Chicks dig telmarkers 'cause we stay down to finish our turn." :rolleyes:

When will it snow in Minnesota? Hello? :huh:

#170 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:56 AM

Give a shout when you do. Do you have a source for tix?

Pray for snow!

cut our trip short.. praying for snow .. heading back out on the 14th.. if there isn't any snow, gonna drive up to Big Sky.. they're honoring Epic Passes if you book a room in their lodge. always wanted to go there anyway.

#171 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:58 AM

White here. About 130" total snowfall at Stevens Pass, WA,
24 to 30" the past half week, with 37"currently measured.
Come on out, boys.

That kid still smiling, bmiller?

Bode placed 5th in the recent downhill,
Lindsey Vonn ahead on overall points but placed third IIRC. What a babe.Posted Image

that girl's got some guns too.. saw her on letterman a couple weeks ago and her arms looked bigger than mine

#172 Fisher

Fisher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Posted Image

"Half the binding twice the fun!" :D

"Chicks dig telmarkers 'cause we stay down to finish our turn." :rolleyes:

When will it snow in Minnesota? Hello? :huh:

i'm sure some mad river glen'ers recognize that sticker. tongue in cheek post on my part.

here's everything you need to know about telemark technique!

Posted Image

from the best tele book in existence!

Posted Image

headed up to copper now, actually, to get my share of the blue dome day. the off piste sucks but copper's got plenty of groomers open. "houston, speed is not a problem."

#173 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

That image doesn't mention "poodles".

So it's far from complete.

#174 Fisher

Fisher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

That image doesn't mention "poodles".

So it's far from complete.

Posted Image

poodle-esque, no? she looks like a hardbooter but its tough to tell...

#175 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Had the 3 1/2 year old on skis for the first time yesterday on a local anthill. The 'run' was about 30 feet, and I wish to god I had a camera for the smile when she finally did it without falling. When told it was time to go I heard 'but Daddy, I don't want to go.'

Perfect.

#176 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Had the 3 1/2 year old on skis for the first time yesterday on a local anthill. The 'run' was about 30 feet, and I wish to god I had a camera for the smile when she finally did it without falling. When told it was time to go I heard 'but Daddy, I don't want to go.'

Perfect.

way to go Dad!

#177 Fisher

Fisher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Perfect.

way to go Dad!

+100

#178 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Perfect.

way to go Dad!

+100

Barkley, I just gotta chime in. Because I remember my first day VIVIDLY, but I had no parent or minder. And the "run" was about 90 feet.
I was smiling during the crashing too, loved that terrifying shit. But at best, the out-of-control thrilling glide was ended by the snow berm at the parking lot. I thought it was a wonderful design beause you could just crash into it and the wreck effect would keep you out of the car park.
After eack such crash I would look up and chrome radiator grills and chrome bumpers. Age seven, garage sale ski package by then.

During lunch, I'm sitting there eating my brown bag lunch still extremely lit up by the snow scene. Seriously, a half dozen grownups would come over and stand there and stare at me, at length. I was an amped-up, natural-born skier with zip for skill or help. The rich people would line up forever in a line for fries and (wow) chili-- my impression was that it took a while to get fed while being rich.

I would lose a night's sleep before skiing in anticipation, and another night's sleep in fond, sore, twitching and remembering. I was gonna be a skier.

My training for this? The WWII hickory skiis out in the garage had cable beartrap bindings and bamboo poles, I was the schrimp skier practicing in the alley in a grownup's ski boots.

#179 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:28 AM

Perfect.

Excellent. Always leave them wanting more, not wanting to quit.

Better have a camera next time. That way when she's15 you can look back and remember what a sweet heart she was.

#180 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

#181 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Posted Image

#182 Fisher

Fisher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Posted Image

way to jinx us b-n-g. you'd better be touching some major wood...now i'm off to sacrifice a pig to make up for your loose tongue :D

here's a less sensationalized take on colorado's weather from spencer logan at the caic:

Weather Discussion for 11,000ft

Issued: 01/13/2012 5:17 AM by Spencer Logan

There is an upper-level ridge over the West Coast today. We are sitting under northwest flow behind the ridge. Some clouds are streaming over the ridge and into the Northern Mountains, and will continue to do so through Sunday. Only clouds, though, and no precipitation. Winds will moderate today, except over the Front Range Mountains where strong winds continue through the weekend. The ridge shifts eastward Saturday. This signals an end to the blocking pattern that has pushed recent storms away from Colorado. On Sunday upper level flow turns southwesterly as a broad trough settles over the West Coast. A pair of storms converge on Colorado next week. The first comes in from the southwest, with snowfall starting over the San Juan Mountains last Sunday night. The second storm arrives from the northwest Monday morning, with a cold front spreading snow across the mountains during the day. Snow accumulations and timing will depend on the storms' interaction, and there is considerable uncertainty with the details this far ahead. Unsettled northwest flow develops the middle of next week.

#183 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

TMI

#184 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

well.. not scientific, but so far I've swept about 18" of snow off the windshield of my truck today. and it's still coming down

#185 Fisher

Fisher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

powder fever set upon western skiers this week. not without consequences, however. generally, the masses have stayed out of the back(or side)country due to poor conditions. with the new snowfall, more will ride terrain covered by a variable, still thin snow pack featuring stiff windslabs sitting on large facets. the old slabs are difficult but not impossible to break, with potentially deadly consequences. new windslabs from the most recent snows also pose a risk to riders.

from the caic.

On Wednesday January, 18th, a fatal avalanche accident occurred in the backcountry near Snowmass Village. The avalanche was located below treeline on Burnt Mountain, just to the east and outside the boundaries of the Snowmass Ski area. Terrain in this area generally faces northeast. Initial reports mention a small avalanche that ran in a gully or terrain trap feature. CAIC staff will visit the accident site on Thursday and update this report as soon as possible.

avalanche warning for western wyoming. from the bridger-teton national forest avalanche center.

This avalanche warning is in effect for the mountains of Western Wyoming including the Teton...Gros Ventre...Snake River...Salt River and Wyoming ranges...and the west slope of the Wind River Range and the Togwotee Pass area. Heavy snow and strong winds have created very dangerous avalanche conditions. Medium to large natural avalanche activity is likely and has already impacted area roadways. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended. For more information visit our warning page or call 1-307-733-2664 .

avalanche warning for parts of utah. from the utah avalanche center

An AVALANCHE WARNING continues for the mountains near Salt Lake, Provo, Ogden, Logan and the Western Uintas. Weak snow from November and December is getting overloaded with heavy new snow. Natural avalanches are expected and human triggered avalanches are certain. People should avoid all steep slopes which includes being below any steep slope. Backcountry travel is not recommended.

Heavy snowfall, sustained southwest winds, and milder temperatures created a level 4 or High danger in the backcountry, and the continuing storm will cause the avalanche danger to rise further and become more widespread throughout today. Very dangerous avalanche conditions already exist this morning, and large natural and triggered avalanches are likely in many areas. I've included a few pockets with a level 5 or Extreme danger, our highest level, because forecast significant additional accumulating snow and continuing strong southwest wind will certainly cause large and destructive natural avalanches in some areas.... You should avoid all travel in backcountry avalanche terrain. Stay off of and out from under all steep slopes, especially obvious or historic avalanche paths...

take care this weekend if you're out and about!! personally, i'm going to hope for some new in-bounds trail openings and wait out this avalanche cycle. call me what you will...

ryan

#186 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

powder fever set upon western skiers this week. not without consequences, however. generally, the masses have stayed out of the back(or side)country due to poor conditions. with the new snowfall, more will ride terrain covered by a variable, still thin snow pack featuring stiff windslabs sitting on large facets. the old slabs are difficult but not impossible to break, with potentially deadly consequences. new windslabs from the most recent snows also pose a risk to riders.

from the caic.

On Wednesday January, 18th, a fatal avalanche accident occurred in the backcountry near Snowmass Village. The avalanche was located below treeline on Burnt Mountain, just to the east and outside the boundaries of the Snowmass Ski area. Terrain in this area generally faces northeast. Initial reports mention a small avalanche that ran in a gully or terrain trap feature. CAIC staff will visit the accident site on Thursday and update this report as soon as possible.

avalanche warning for western wyoming. from the bridger-teton national forest avalanche center.

This avalanche warning is in effect for the mountains of Western Wyoming including the Teton...Gros Ventre...Snake River...Salt River and Wyoming ranges...and the west slope of the Wind River Range and the Togwotee Pass area. Heavy snow and strong winds have created very dangerous avalanche conditions. Medium to large natural avalanche activity is likely and has already impacted area roadways. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended. For more information visit our warning page or call 1-307-733-2664 .

avalanche warning for parts of utah. from the utah avalanche center

An AVALANCHE WARNING continues for the mountains near Salt Lake, Provo, Ogden, Logan and the Western Uintas. Weak snow from November and December is getting overloaded with heavy new snow. Natural avalanches are expected and human triggered avalanches are certain. People should avoid all steep slopes which includes being below any steep slope. Backcountry travel is not recommended.

Heavy snowfall, sustained southwest winds, and milder temperatures created a level 4 or High danger in the backcountry, and the continuing storm will cause the avalanche danger to rise further and become more widespread throughout today. Very dangerous avalanche conditions already exist this morning, and large natural and triggered avalanches are likely in many areas. I've included a few pockets with a level 5 or Extreme danger, our highest level, because forecast significant additional accumulating snow and continuing strong southwest wind will certainly cause large and destructive natural avalanches in some areas.... You should avoid all travel in backcountry avalanche terrain. Stay off of and out from under all steep slopes, especially obvious or historic avalanche paths...

take care this weekend if you're out and about!! personally, i'm going to hope for some new in-bounds trail openings and wait out this avalanche cycle. call me what you will...

ryan

call you prudent

#187 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

ryan

I'd call that plan smart. I didn't read the full CAIC forecast but after the winds we've had the last couple days BC travel is sketchy at best.

#188 Fisher

Fisher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

ryan

I'd call that plan smart. I didn't read the full CAIC forecast but after the winds we've had the last couple days BC travel is sketchy at best.

best of luck to you on your next shift, bmiller. you guys do the work that makes us safer. but, no surprise here, snow sliding isn't the safest activity even in-bounds. evidence the aspen highlands fatality described in the Aspen Times. not to come off as too insenstive, but ride good or eat wood comes to mind. also, a young woman died at silverton after falling 1500' down riff under what commentors have called horrible conditions. i imagined those to be boiler-plate and sastrugi-fried.

#189 TPG

TPG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

RIP Sarah.

#190 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Wouldn't you now it. We're about to get dumped on and I'm leaving for two weeks in the FL Keys.

Oh well, ya'll have fun and be safe in the coming goods.

#191 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:20 AM

Day 2. This time we got skis on my son (20 months) and was amazed how sturdy he was on his skis. Way too early for the pizza and french fry discussion, but he's getting used to planks on his feet (without edgie wedgies), and we got some giggles out of him on the bunny hill. All good.

Posted Image

#192 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:51 AM

Day 2. This time we got skis on my son (20 months) and was amazed how sturdy he was on his skis. Way too early for the pizza and french fry discussion, but he's getting used to planks on his feet (without edgie wedgies), and we got some giggles out of him on the bunny hill. All good.

Posted Image

excellent!

#193 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Posted Image

20 months, wow that's early! got our kids started at 3 - 4 years. Now they are skiing circles around me (almost). Very cool Barkley. These are great times to remember. Get some video on him. We look back at the videos when they were riding the magic carpet, with them looking at it wondering how it was moving!

#194 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

I'm going to Niseko in Japan on Sunday for a week with my kids who are 8 and 11, and my wife who is a little older! None of them have skiied before, and it is 20 yrs since I wobbled down a mountain with boards strapped to my feet.

The snow report sounds pretty good:

Last night and yesterday brought us some really low density snow. That means real light, fluffy POWDER! Today should be a good one. It is expected to be mostly cloudy with some patches of sun throughout the day. We could also see some snow showers but it isn't looking like anything significant.

Yesterday on an excursion, I measured the snow depth to be over 4 meters in the Iowanupuri backcountry area. I actually ran out of length to measure because my probe wasn't long enough to span the entire snow depth. The stability looked pretty good in the region. The really light snow had started settling and not been a major factor in anything.

I think the kids will take to it like ducks to water - especially my son who does tricks on a rip-stik. I'm rather concerned about how the missus will find it. I'm also worried that I will think I'm twenty years younger and a skiing god (which I never was in the first place) and end up damaging something rather badly!

I haven't looked forward to a holiday so much in a long time!

#195 Maker_a_Laker

Maker_a_Laker

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

So we were planning a trip to Tahoe for end of March, but that isn't looking good. Open to other spots in North America for some good skiing - anyone have any thoughts?

#196 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,316 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:03 AM

So we were planning a trip to Tahoe for end of March, but that isn't looking good. Open to other spots in North America for some good skiing - anyone have any thoughts?

All the low-rent resorts around Denver got hammered with snow, like Eldora and Echo ... Not too much vert, but 40-inches of fresh powder this past weekend. Wolf Creek Pass is usually good.

We got out of the house too late on Sunday to make skiing worthwhile, I took the punks to Winter Park for tubing, they loved it. Skiing had to be controlled, tubing is just a flat out thrill ride, magic carpet to the top.

Put 10 month old in sled on bunny hill, all smiles, hopefully he'll be ready for a toddler snowboard next year. The preteen girls took up skiing instead of snowboarding to spite me. The boy is the last hope.

Posted Image

#197 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:07 AM

Did winter park and Mary Jane get hit?

#198 Fisher

Fisher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

from the monster upslope event? negative. uppper level winds from the east through northeast quadrant extended to 25,000' but were too light to push the snow over the divide. around 10 mph or so. needed 15 to 25ish.

i have a good friend who lives on the east side of the divide at 9200', up coal creek canyon. storm total? 47". that's the second most he's recorded in three years up there. the most? 55". most for the decade? 2003, 70"+ for many areas.

its pretty hard to match a prolonged upper level upslope event for snowfall.

#199 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,316 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Little to nothing, the storm couldn't get over Berthoud Pass. It got stuck on the Front Range side and dumped Echo and Eldora. All of a sudden Echo went from being a family-owned kids' training mountain to a world class run with almost 4 feet of champagne powder.

#200 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Posted Image

Don't even attempt the pizza french fries thing if you can help it. Hopefully you can skip it all together. If the kid can keep his skis straight leave em that way otherwise you are gonna be spending more time unlearning it than learning the right way. If you go the pizza route he may never advance past it. My Kid never learned it and he can out ski most people at 13.

There is a euro way that never comes close to pizza etc, but I can't recall the name. Google it, good stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users