• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#201 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Did winter park and Mary Jane get hit?

Little to nothing, the storm couldn't get over Berthoud Pass. It got stuck on the Front Range side and dumped Echo and Eldora. All of a sudden Echo went from being a family-owned kids' training mountain to a world class run with almost 4 feet of champagne powder.

Wofsie, stop it, Echo Mtn is not a kids training mtn, it is a terrain park through and through. They probably squashed all the powder with the snowcats so the parkrats could get their air. It comes no where close to Eldora. Big 1/2 pipe with a lift going up. Also 40" come on... 16 at the back door and last I looked Golden aint that much higher than anything south of downtown.

#202 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

We're back. Yesterday morning I was swimming in the warm water around Key Colony. Hopped a plane at FLL and headed back to CO. Got in around 1930 MST to 10 deg above, sub zero by the time we got home. What a shock. After two weeks at sea level not making a single turn it was a little rough today. But at least the snow was good, Monarch always delivers. Back to the grind.

#203 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,335 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

Did winter park and Mary Jane get hit?

Little to nothing, the storm couldn't get over Berthoud Pass. It got stuck on the Front Range side and dumped Echo and Eldora. All of a sudden Echo went from being a family-owned kids' training mountain to a world class run with almost 4 feet of champagne powder.

Wofsie, stop it, Echo Mtn is not a kids training mtn, it is a terrain park through and through. They probably squashed all the powder with the snowcats so the parkrats could get their air. It comes no where close to Eldora. Big 1/2 pipe with a lift going up. Also 40" come on... 16 at the back door and last I looked Golden aint that much higher than anything south of downtown.

Shags, Echo had 40-inches of powder in that last storm. That much powder can turn a parking lot in Saskatoon into a sought-after resort.

I had 16 at my back door too, but apparently Echo -- while just a quick drive from my back door in Golden -- is not at my back door in Golden. The wind on Squaw and Warrior lifts a lot of it up and dumps on the North side. They had another 6-inches yesterday.

Anyway my kids want to go there, if you're taking your kids up there send a PM. I've decided to go back to skis temporarily to teach them better, so it's back to Elmer Fudd for me.

#204 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:46 AM

Things are shaping up nicely. Opened a couple runs on the backside today and ran the cat up the west ridge. Lots of smiles there.

#205 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Things are shaping up nicely. Opened a couple runs on the backside today and ran the cat up the west ridge. Lots of smiles there.

Headin back out 3/4-3/10... wanta meet up someplace and make some turns?

#206 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

Sure, I work my real job on the front and back of those days. The middle days look pretty good. I'll check in when it gets closer.

#207 Barkley

Barkley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

Day 2. This time we got skis on my son (20 months) and was amazed how sturdy he was on his skis. Way too early for the pizza and french fry discussion, but he's getting used to planks on his feet (without edgie wedgies), and we got some giggles out of him on the bunny hill. All good.

Posted Image

Don't even attempt the pizza french fries thing if you can help it. Hopefully you can skip it all together. If the kid can keep his skis straight leave em that way otherwise you are gonna be spending more time unlearning it than learning the right way. If you go the pizza route he may never advance past it. My Kid never learned it and he can out ski most people at 13.

There is a euro way that never comes close to pizza etc, but I can't recall the name. Google it, good stuff.

Thanks Shaggy.

#208 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

#209 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:performance sailing, downhill skiing, music

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Posted Image

We had three skiers killed at my hill, Stevens Pass WA, in an out-of-bounds slide last weekend.
The run was Tunnel Creek, the slide swept a half mile through the valley in the picture above, I hear.
The skiers were pro hotshots in area management, and Leavenworth locals.
Fair winds, soft snow.

#210 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

Just got back from down south. Did the drive from Denver to Monarch, Got 2 days in Crestid Butte. Good stuff. Coverage is good on the regular stuff and the steaps looked good. Kid said they weren't too bad and his skis aren't too beat up. Recommend that trip to anyone btw. Snow is south at this point..... ;)

#211 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Sad commentary on an otherwise pretty good season. Colorado is on pace to break the record for skier fatalities this year.

Aside from that things are really shaping up. I'll be heading down to Monarch in the morning. Steamboat got pounded the other day.

#212 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:01 AM

Sad commentary on an otherwise pretty good season. Colorado is on pace to break the record for skier fatalities this year.

Aside from that things are really shaping up. I'll be heading down to Monarch in the morning. Steamboat got pounded the other day.

heading back out a week from Sunday. have a guest for a couple days but could head down to Copper after she leaves if ya wanna make some turns

#213 funkyjello

funkyjello

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Lots o stuff

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

Posted Image

We had three skiers killed at my hill, Stevens Pass WA, in an out-of-bounds slide last weekend.
The run was Tunnel Creek, the slide swept a half mile through the valley in the picture above, I hear.
The skiers were pro hotshots in area management, and Leavenworth locals.
Fair winds, soft snow.

Have skied there. My cousins family owned and ran the ski school there for many years and lived right at the summit half the year. One year I went up and an instructor with a family had just died head first in a tree well the week before. You can access a hunch of out of bounds territory from the highest two lifts there.

Really sad deal those folks died in an avalanche. Seventh Guy down broke it loose. Maybe no one dug a hole...

#214 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm going to Niseko in Japan on Sunday for a week with my kids who are 8 and 11, and my wife who is a little older! None of them have skiied before, and it is 20 yrs since I wobbled down a mountain with boards strapped to my feet.

The snow report sounds pretty good:

Last night and yesterday brought us some really low density snow. That means real light, fluffy POWDER! Today should be a good one. It is expected to be mostly cloudy with some patches of sun throughout the day. We could also see some snow showers but it isn't looking like anything significant.

Yesterday on an excursion, I measured the snow depth to be over 4 meters in the Iowanupuri backcountry area. I actually ran out of length to measure because my probe wasn't long enough to span the entire snow depth. The stability looked pretty good in the region. The really light snow had started settling and not been a major factor in anything.

I think the kids will take to it like ducks to water - especially my son who does tricks on a rip-stik. I'm rather concerned about how the missus will find it. I'm also worried that I will think I'm twenty years younger and a skiing god (which I never was in the first place) and end up damaging something rather badly!

I haven't looked forward to a holiday so much in a long time!

We were in Hokkaido for 8 days - 130cm - 4ft 10" of snow fell during that time. All of it soft powder.

The kids and wife loved it, and I managed not to break anything! Happiness all round.

We are already plotting our return next year!

Happy skiing and stay safe!

#215 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

What days are you thinking?

heading back out a week from Sunday. have a guest for a couple days but could head down to Copper after she leaves if ya wanna make some turns

#216 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

wed,thur or Fri?

#217 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

another avalanche casualty in Park City today.

#218 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

W or T works for me.

Got back from Monarch a few minutes ago. The wind has played hell unless you find north aspect terrain. Fortunately Mirkwood is all north facing, it was good.

wed,thur or Fri?

#219 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Skied Stowe and Sugarbush this weekend. 24" Saturday at Stowe with 7" more yesterday.
No lack of winter there. 3 of the front 4 were actually open, probally all now.

#220 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Decisions decisions. Monarch got 13, Copper got 12 and I'm sitting smack in the middle. Looks like a champagne breakfast wherever I go. See ya!!!!!

#221 WCB

WCB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Park City got about 8-10inches yesterday with 1-2 feet in the forecast today through tomorrow.

#222 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

Little by little we're getting caught up. Monarch the other day was much more typical, lots and lots of snow, sunshine and the local posse out in force. Fuking fun.

Tomorrow AM I need to snake out the main. But after that it's right back at it. Going from shit to snow!!!

#223 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Snow in Colorado is great, did Breck on Wed, Vail yesterday, Keystone today. Was going to Beaver Creek but some dog named Snoop is doing something there, not fond of crowds. Tomorrow either Keystone again or A Basin. This is the week to be here, I came to beat Spring Break, looks warm and no snow for them.

Looks like expert powder out the window. And seriously, been some time since I had a break/vacation, I was way overdue. Had dinner last night at Old Chicago in Silverthorne, good food and great beers. Low point - $25 to park at Vail. Wow.

#224 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

flying out to Vail tonight.

#225 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

I;ve found over many years if you are only going west for 1 week a year, the last week of Feb or 1st week of march have always been the best!

#226 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

Snow in Colorado is great, did Breck on Wed, Vail yesterday, Keystone today. Was going to Beaver Creek but some dog named Snoop is doing something there, not fond of crowds. Tomorrow either Keystone again or A Basin. This is the week to be here, I came to beat Spring Break, looks warm and no snow for them.

Looks like expert powder out the window. And seriously, been some time since I had a break/vacation, I was way overdue. Had dinner last night at Old Chicago in Silverthorne, good food and great beers. Low point - $25 to park at Vail. Wow.

Glad to see you got a vacation and had some fun. Let me know if you're ever going to be in Taos.

#227 Norm

Norm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

Looking for suggestions for a couple of families for two weeeks coming from OZ.

Have been to whistler, sun peaks, big white, and silver star in the past. Thinking of medium size resort, good value tickets and near canadian/us border away from coast. Like to stay on mountain

On my short list is Whitefish, Schweitzer, Fernie , any other suggestions ?

#228 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

did you go to the Snowball?

#229 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,400 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Glad to see you got a vacation and had some fun. Let me know if you're ever going to be in Taos.

CL - sent a PM. Snow was great, Sat was cold. And windy, 20-30, gusts to 50. Was going to A Basin, anybody that braved that was a lot tougher than me. Keystone was my favorite of the 3, still prefer Taos. If flying into Denver check out Sport Rents for equipment - great pricing on rental gear, mostly Solomon ski/boots. Nice guys, no pressure I had to upsell myself. They are a fraction of rentals at the slopes. Both of us have boots but on Saturday we had time to browse and are going to replace with the Solomon 770. We didn't need it but they rent racks cheap too. My kind of place. Did I mention I am frugal?

#230 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

CL - sent a PM. Snow was great, Sat was cold. And windy, 20-30, gusts to 50. Was going to A Basin, anybody that braved that was a lot tougher than me. Keystone was my favorite of the 3, still prefer Taos. If flying into Denver check out Sport Rents for equipment - great pricing on rental gear, mostly Solomon ski/boots. Nice guys, no pressure I had to upsell myself. They are a fraction of rentals at the slopes. Both of us have boots but on Saturday we had time to browse and are going to replace with the Solomon 770. We didn't need it but they rent racks cheap too. My kind of place. Did I mention I am frugal?

For Summit County rentals Virgin Islands in Silverthorne is pretty good also: http://virginislands...ski_rentals.php

#231 Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

Wow. I just saw this, a Very slow speed avalanche, but extremely powerful nonetheless.

http://www.grindtv.c...h skiers on it/

It's amazing that no one was hurt.

#232 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

How have the conditions been at Okemo this past season and in the last few weeks? Anyone know?

I know I know I know. "Ski somewhere real that isn't an overpriced tourist trap". The deal is that I'm headed up to partake in an opening at a rented house with a sailing buddy for two days next week and it would be great to know what to expect.

#233 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

did you go to the Snowball?

no, there was nothing about that that appealed to me.

#234 jocal505

jocal505

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:performance sailing, downhill skiing, music

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

Vonn Clinches Overall World Cup Title, Eyes Points -

By OLIVER GRASSMAN Associated PressARE, Sweden March 9, 2012 (AP)

Lindsey Vonn is back at the summit of Alpine skiing, and standing alone as the most successful American skier.

Vonn punctuated her near-perfect season in perfect fashion Friday, earning her fourth overall World Cup title with a dominating giant slalom victory. That puts her in a league of her own among American skiers, man or woman, and she still has another week to chase the World Cup record for points in a season.

"I'm just really excited. I'm thrilled. It's crazy," Vonn said after surpassing Phil Mahre's American record of three overall titles on the men's side between 1981-83.

She is now second on the women's list behind Annemarie Moser-Proell of Austria, who won six in the 1970s. Marc Girardelli of Luxembourg is the only man to have won more than Vonn, with five titles.

A year after losing the overall title by just three points to main rival Maria Hoefl-Riesch on the last day of the season, Vonn left no doubt about her supremacy this time winning by nearly half a second to wrap up the overall title even before next week's World Cup finals.

"It is a lot less stressful clinching the overall title before the finals," Vonn said. "Last year, I think I lost years off of my life. It's been an amazing season, one where I've had a lot of fun and enjoyed every race. I've found my rhythm in GS for the first time in my career."

Indeed, Vonn had never won a race in the discipline before taking the opening giant slalom of the season. That made her just the fifth woman to win World Cup races in five disciplines, and took away the only weakness in her repertoire. Given that she is as dominant as ever in the speed disciplines, it also made her nearly unbeatable in the race for the giant crystal globe that comes with the overall title.

Friday's victory gave her an insurmountable 1,808 points with five individual races left this season. With 100 points for each victory, that gives Vonn a good chance of breaking the record of 2,000 points set by Austrian great Hermann Maier in 2000. Janica Kostelic of Croatia holds the women's record of 1,970 points from 2006.After Saturday's slalom in Are, there are four races plus a team event at the World Cup finals in Schladming, Austria.

"Anything is possible, but it's going to be really difficult," Vonn said about the overall points record. "I'm going to have to execute in every race and seize the opportunity like I did today. I've got three big chances to make the top three in the downhill, super-G and the GS (in Schladming). But I'm going to have to execute and make no mistakes."

Federica Brignone of Italy was second on Friday, 0.48 behind, with Olympic champion Viktoria Rebensburg in third, 1.05 slower than Vonn.

It was Vonn's 52nd career World Cup race victory and second in GS.

"I always felt Are was a good place for me in the GS. I got a lot of confidence from Ofterschwang and felt like I had nothing to lose," she said, referring to her second place last weekend in the German resort. "This season has been great in every single way."

Alex Hoedlmoser, the U.S. women's head coach, said Vonn's improvement in GS has been remarkable.

"This GS win is absolutely huge," Hoedlmoser said. "I'm just thinking back two years when she was not even considered for making the top 10."

Vonn won the overall three times in a row from 2008-2010. Last season, Hoefl-Riesch took the overall when the giant slalom at the World Cup finals was canceled because of soft snow.

Rebensburg looks set to secure the giant slalom title at the finals in Schladming. She leads the discipline with 550 points, 95 ahead of Vonn in second place.

"I had a good day and skied pretty clean, even though my second run wasn't my best," said Rebensburg, who won back-to-back giant slalom wins in Ofterschwang last weekend. "I heard from the coaches (ahead of the second run) that it was not easy to ski well, so I tried to ski without mistakes."

For all her improvements in GS, Vonn doesn't think she can overtake the German for the discipline title next week.

"It's wrapped up," Vonn said.

#235 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

How have the conditions been at Okemo this past season and in the last few weeks? Anyone know?

I know I know I know. "Ski somewhere real that isn't an overpriced tourist trap". The deal is that I'm headed up to partake in an opening at a rented house with a sailing buddy for two days next week and it would be great to know what to expect.

I was there today, the mountanin has some pretty good cruising terrain. The morning started out in the mid 20's then climbed into the 50's by the end day Most of the terrian is getting some scratchy spots.The snow was defenly getting very soft. The overnight temps are looking pretty high so not sure if will set up on the overnights. Looks like this week the high temps are going to up so not sure how the mountain will fair this week.

Do you ski or ride?

#236 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

I was there today, the mountanin has some pretty good cruising terrain. The morning started out in the mid 20's then climbed into the 50's by the end day Most of the terrian is getting some scratchy spots.The snow was defenly getting very soft. The overnight temps are looking pretty high so not sure if will set up on the overnights. Looks like this week the high temps are going to up so not sure how the mountain will fair this week.

Do you ski or ride?

Sorry to have missed you. We were there Saturday. Like you said... lots of scratchy spots, some spring conditions, some thin powder over packed powder. Ski patrol was very busy... one poor kid ran off the trail and got jammed between a couple of trees.

Understand that last weekend and the weekend before were great. Unfortunately, we were tied up with family shit.

#237 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

Do you ski or ride?

I ski. I'm fairly sure I would be disowned should I ever learn to ride.

Looking at the forecast for the rest of this week I'm afraid it sounds like you're right. Wet,cruddy, soft and slow by the end of the day. Oh well. Much like sailing a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day in lectures or at work... and it's been a painfully long time since I've gone skiing.

Yourself? Ski or ride?

#238 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, architecture, Texas Forever

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:41 AM

Rode Hunter yesterday, great weather in the mid-30's and sunny, conditions were to be expected given the mild winter here, somewhat slushy in the sun and icy in the shade.

All and all solid outing. Still getting used to skiing on the Ice Coast having grown up skiing out West.

#239 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Lindsey Vonn is back at the summit of Alpine skiing, and standing alone as the most successful American skier.

Vonn punctuated her near-perfect season in perfect fashion Friday, earning her fourth overall World Cup title with a dominating giant slalom victory. That puts her in a league of her own among American skiers, man or woman, and she still has another week to chase the World Cup record for points in a season.

"I'm just really excited. I'm thrilled. It's crazy," Vonn said after surpassing Phil Mahre's American record of three overall titles on the men's side between 1981-83.

She is now second on the women's list behind Annemarie Moser-Proell of Austria, who won six in the 1970s. Marc Girardelli of Luxembourg is the only man to have won more than Vonn, with five titles.

A year after losing the overall title by just three points to main rival Maria Hoefl-Riesch on the last day of the season, Vonn left no doubt about her supremacy this time winning by nearly half a second to wrap up the overall title even before next week's World Cup finals.

"It is a lot less stressful clinching the overall title before the finals," Vonn said. "Last year, I think I lost years off of my life. It's been an amazing season, one where I've had a lot of fun and enjoyed every race. I've found my rhythm in GS for the first time in my career."

Indeed, Vonn had never won a race in the discipline before taking the opening giant slalom of the season. That made her just the fifth woman to win World Cup races in five disciplines, and took away the only weakness in her repertoire. Given that she is as dominant as ever in the speed disciplines, it also made her nearly unbeatable in the race for the giant crystal globe that comes with the overall title.

Friday's victory gave her an insurmountable 1,808 points with five individual races left this season. With 100 points for each victory, that gives Vonn a good chance of breaking the record of 2,000 points set by Austrian great Hermann Maier in 2000. Janica Kostelic of Croatia holds the women's record of 1,970 points from 2006.After Saturday's slalom in Are, there are four races plus a team event at the World Cup finals in Schladming, Austria.

"Anything is possible, but it's going to be really difficult," Vonn said about the overall points record. "I'm going to have to execute in every race and seize the opportunity like I did today. I've got three big chances to make the top three in the downhill, super-G and the GS (in Schladming). But I'm going to have to execute and make no mistakes."

Federica Brignone of Italy was second on Friday, 0.48 behind, with Olympic champion Viktoria Rebensburg in third, 1.05 slower than Vonn.

"I always felt Are was a good place for me in the GS. I got a lot of confidence from Ofterschwang and felt like I had nothing to lose," she said, referring to her second place last weekend in the German resort. "This season has been great in every single way."

Alex Hoedlmoser, the U.S. women's head coach, said Vonn's improvement in GS has been remarkable.

"This GS win is absolutely huge," Hoedlmoser said. "I'm just thinking back two years when she was not even considered for making the top 10."

Vonn won the overall three times in a row from 2008-2010. Last season, Hoefl-Riesch took the overall when the giant slalom at the World Cup finals was canceled because of soft snow.

Rebensburg looks set to secure the giant slalom title at the finals in Schladming. She leads the discipline with 550 points, 95 ahead of Vonn in second place.

"I had a good day and skied pretty clean, even though my second run wasn't my best," said Rebensburg, who won back-to-back giant slalom wins in Ofterschwang last weekend. "I heard from the coaches (ahead of the second run) that it was not easy to ski well, so I tried to ski without mistakes."

For all her improvements in GS, Vonn doesn't think she can overtake the German for the discipline title next week.

She's hot!

#240 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Do you ski or ride?

Looking at the forecast for the rest of this week I'm afraid it sounds like you're right. Wet,cruddy, soft and slow by the end of the day. Oh well. Much like sailing a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day in lectures or at work... and it's been a painfully long time since I've gone skiing.

Yourself? Ski or ride?

I ski, would not catch me on one of thoes nosepicker boards. I

Was at Wachusett today, it is looking pretty grim there. The have done an outstanding job this year with grooming and snowmaking. Up till now the conditiions have been fantastic dispite the weather they had to contend with.

#241 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

She's hot!

I would pay to watch her breathe.....

I have Universal Sports Network and have been watching the World Cup all year. I think watching the women GS,SG and DH is the best sports programming you can watch on TV right now.
My non-skier friends who come over are fascinated how well these girls get down the hill.

#242 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Full on spring here. Skied Copper the last few days in warm sunshine and soft snow. This morning sitting in a Durango motel room watching it puke snow outside. Looks like a pow day at Purgatory. Yeehaw gotta love CO in the spring.

#243 jnow

jnow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Looking at some new skis wondering if anyone has heard anything about Rossi's new Squad 7's? Debating between them and the Super7's.. Would look at others but I can get the rossi ski's 50% off. Anyone have input? (No I cant get you 50% off Rossi skis)

Oh, and for everyone talking about Colorado skiing... GO TO REVELSTOKE

#244 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

That would be great, someday. But when you live in the heart of Colorado it's hard not to talk about CO skiing.

#245 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,335 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Bmiller, anyone ...

Conditions this coming weekend, I want to take the kids for one last trip ... slush or ice would suck, I heard Steamboat had rain (!) so any suggestions? My standby is Loveland.

#246 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Do you ski or ride?

Yourself? Ski or ride?

I ski, would not catch me on one of thoes nosepicker boards. I

Was at Wachusett today, it is looking pretty grim there. The have done an outstanding job this year with grooming and snowmaking. Up till now the conditiions have been fantastic dispite the weather they had to contend with.

We wound up doing 3 days and it was full on spring skiing. Thursday was the best. The morning was foggy with solid corduroy that was tough to set an edge in but incredibly fast. Got 16 runs in before lunch and did another 11 after lunch when it was getting a little mushy but fine in the shade. Friday was foggy warm and rainy but the terrain was well groomed and the mountain was empty. After the first 10 runs though the mashed potato factor was too much and I only managed 12. By the end of the day there were huge puddles everywhere and lots of snow loss - big dirt patches all over the mountain. Saturday was incredible spring skiing. Warm, blue skies and mushy, challenging snow that built up into huge bumps all over the place with ice in between. Managed another 20 runs and kicked some ass in the process. Challenging and a serious workout, love it.

stopped into see vtfishsailor on our way out of town. He has a really cool thing going on there with his gallery.

#247 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Bmiller, anyone ...

Conditions this coming weekend, I want to take the kids for one last trip ... slush or ice would suck, I heard Steamboat had rain (!) so any suggestions? My standby is Loveland.

Looks like a week of warm weather leading up to this weekend. Pretty much anywhere will be full on spring conditions. Start late and end early or stay high on the hill, it will be just fine.

And you simply can not beat a pint of some local microbrew on a sunny deck in the afternoon. Most resorts have big plans for the closing days, check around and find something that suits your fancy.

#248 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

Heading out to Snowbird and Deer Valley shortly. Looks like they got 39" yesterday. They said it was an hour wait to get on the tram today. Hopfully the glee will have died down by the time we get there.

#249 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

Looking at some new skis wondering if anyone has heard anything about Rossi's new Squad 7's? Debating between them and the Super7's.. Would look at others but I can get the rossi ski's 50% off. Anyone have input? (No I cant get you 50% off Rossi skis)

Bought 2 pairs this year. Head Titan 177 to cruise and Head iSpeed 185 for racing. Got both for almost 60% off.
Got them at Powder7.com. (Boulder Co?) Call them and hagle a little and they will treat you right.

Anybody else do Nastar? I got hooked on it this year.

What to you all ski on?

#250 Silverbullet

Silverbullet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

Have been to whistler, sun peaks, big white, and silver star in the past. Thinking of medium size resort, good value tickets and near canadian/us border away from coast. Like to stay on mountain

Fernie to Whitefish = 2hrs. Whitefish to Schweitzer = 3 hrs. Over the course of 2 weeks you can check all 3 off the list. We've had great snow here in the last 10 days and it looks to continue. All 3 meet your req's.

#251 jnow

jnow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

That would be great, someday. But when you live in the heart of Colorado it's hard not to talk about CO skiing.

Fair point, I go to school in Colorado and most of my ski buddies have never even been skiing out of the state!

#252 jnow

jnow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Fernie to Whitefish = 2hrs. Whitefish to Schweitzer = 3 hrs. Over the course of 2 weeks you can check all 3 off the list. We've had great snow here in the last 10 days and it looks to continue. All 3 meet your req's.

Fernie is on my top 5 list of Resorts, maybe not the best family resort. Its quite steep. Fernie, Kicking Horse, and Revelstoke are some of the tougher resorts you will find. Out of the three revvy might be the most family friendly but the one lodge on mountain is $$$. Try Banff?

#253 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

It aint over out here, sunny blue skies, girls in bikini tops, soft snow. Shit it's fun.

You guys still skiing out east?

#254 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

Stowe and Waterville are closing tommorrow. Sunday River, Suguarloaf and Loon are still making snow.

Just got back from Deer Vally + Park City, very warm and loosing snow cover quickley.

#255 Fisher

Fisher

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

just heard some relevant news from a friend in steamboat: lower mountain now closed. downloading via the gondola only. sundown lift also now closed.

it will be tough for many co resorts to make their scheduled closing dates.

#256 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Was at Copper Thurs and Friday, Man I love spring skiing, but there aint gonna be any snow in another week or so. Both Bowls closed. Dirt showing through on most runs, and lift lines were mostly bare. They were getting the Big terrain park set up for the Woodward kids this summer so I think they may be throwing in the towel.

#257 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Snowbird got 8" today.

#258 Black Dog

Black Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Big News a Day Late..............

By Administrator | April 1, 2012 at 12:01 am | No comments

By Frank Konia

EASTON, New Hampshire American ski racer Bode Miller plans to compete on the World Cup next season on a vintage pair of K2 Fours, the same funky skis whose radical shape helped catapult him onto the United States Ski Team in 1996.The 34-year-old Miller, who has won nearly every significant ski racing title during his record-setting career, says he is inspired by the challenge of hitting the world's most treacherous downhills on a pair of undersized recreational skis that have been gathering dust in a New Hampshire barn for 16 years."I want to bring things full circle," Miller said in a telephone interview as contract negotiations wrapped up. "People once said these boards weren't built for racing. I proved them wrong once, and I'll do it again."Miller added that he looked forward to racing the World Cup tour on skis that grossly violate the equipment regulations that the International Ski Federation, or FIS, has imposed in recent years. Miller is one of many racers who has been critical of those regulations."If they want to disqualify me after I win Soelden and Val d'Isere on these things, they can go ahead," Miller said. "I don't race for results anyway. I think I've mentioned that before. Live free or die."Miller, who was spotted on the red-white-and-blue K2 Fours early this March at Cannon Mountain, confirmed that they were the same pair he used as an unknown 18-year-old at the 1996 national championships, finishing third in the slalom and securing an automatic berth on the U.S. Ski Team."Looking back, that was a transformational moment, not just for Miller but for the whole sport," said Nathaniel Vinton, a journalist who is working on a book about Alpine ski racing slated for publication in 2014. "The skis helped Miller bring his totally unconventional technique and tactics to the highest levels of ski racing. Miller forced a lot of people to adapt their thinking about the sport."Miller said he found his old skis in February, after a knee injury forced him to end his World Cup season early. Upon his return to the United States, he stopped at his childhood home in Easton, New Hampshire, where his mother asked him to take some clutter out of the barn and haul it to the town dump."The skis were kind of hidden away behind a bunch of junk trophies and crap," Miller said. "The edges were rusty, but a few swipes of the file took that right off. I tested them out at Cannon and they felt great."It's unclear if the skis' piezoelectric lights are still functional. The lights, which were built into the K2 Fours just above the place where the binding's toe-piece would sit, were meant to flash on and off as the ski bent, a feature some skiers derided as gimmicky.Executives at K2 were initially startled when Miller's agent approached them in mid-March to discuss a contract. The company, which is based in Washington State, hasn't produced World Cup skis in about a decade. Since 2006, Miller has raced on equipment from Head Skis, and by all accounts has been satisfied with the Austrian company. K2 hasn't been a leader on the circuit since the early-1980s, the heyday of Phil and Steve Mahre.American ski racing fans fondly recall how Miller turned the sport upside down in 1996 when he used the K2 Fours to win three of four races at the Eastern Region Junior Olympics in Sugarloaf, Maine. Two weeks later, on the same slope, he finished third in the national championship slalom, automatically qualifying him for the U.S. team.At the time, so-called "parabolic" skis marked by their hourglass shape had been around for decades, but were not commonly used in ski racing. But Miller's success led his peers and rivals into similar experiments, and within a few years the entire World Cup tour was skiing on skis with greater sidecut. By the time the FIS cracked down on the trend, Miller was winning slaloms and giant slalom races on the men's World Cup circuit something that hadn't happened since the Mahre era.Miller has since won a total of 33 World Cup races, two overall titles, numerous discipline titles and 10 medals from the world championships and Olympic Winter Games.A source close to Miller said the company offered to build hundreds of new race skis for him and supply a full-time ski technician to travel the World Cup and tune Miller's skis, but that Miller, true to his reputation for stubbornness, said that he preferred to use the originals. The official announcement about of the partnership is scheduled for later today, April Fools' Day, the source said.Nate Vinton contributed reporting to this article.

#259 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Was at Copper Thurs and Friday, Man I love spring skiing, but there aint gonna be any snow in another week or so. Both Bowls closed. Dirt showing through on most runs, and lift lines were mostly bare. They were getting the Big terrain park set up for the Woodward kids this summer so I think they may be throwing in the towel.

That park at the bottom of Eagle is one of the venues for the USASA nationals.
Spaulding is open but not all day. As it gets soggy the snow safety guys close it. Front side of S chair, Copper bowl, Reso are closed for the season.

#260 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,335 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Spaulding is open but not all day. As it gets soggy the snow safety guys close it. Front side of S chair, Copper bowl, Reso are closed for the season.

Today's storm was supposed to bring some snow on the Front Range, but nada. Any snow in the high country today? I want to take the kids to A-Basin this coming weekend.

#261 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Today's storm was supposed to bring some snow on the Front Range, but nada. Any snow in the high country today? I want to take the kids to A-Basin this coming weekend.

It's spring conditions all around. Take the kids, no hurry, wait till 1000 or so. You'll have a few hours of fun. Buy them pizza at Beau Jo's and all will be good.

#262 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Holy crap!! A little hill in northern NM that we like got 14 overnight. They are re-opening today.

#263 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Didn't know that, thanks Mr Miller. Kid is a woodword kid and I was going off of what he was saying. (Never listen to a 13YO :D)

#264 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,335 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

It's spring conditions all around. Take the kids, no hurry, wait till 1000 or so. You'll have a few hours of fun. Buy them pizza at Beau Jo's and all will be good.

We got a few inches on the Front Range overnight, I hope it doesn't burn off in the high country before the weekend. A friend came back from Steamboat, he said it was a bit too slushy.

#265 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Had a great day at Keystone yesterday. Good spring slush. No, it wasn't perfect Rocky mountain skiing but we had fun. Heading up to Breck today then driving east.

Mr. Miller, we'll have to do some turns next season when I get back out.

#266 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,285 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Son is flying out tonight to join daughter for Friday and Saturday in the mountains.

Think she has a couple of passes left for Keystone or is it worth it to go out to Breck?

#267 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Taos has gotten 20" this week, reporting 69" base this AM, 26 of 43 double blacks still open. I'm still recovering from a surgery, but I'm going to fly up tomorrow morning with the Little Loser so he can finish out the season.

#268 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Had a great day at Keystone yesterday. Good spring slush. No, it wasn't perfect Rocky mountain skiing but we had fun. Heading up to Breck today then driving east.

Mr. Miller, we'll have to do some turns next season when I get back out.

You got it.

We have a few days left then we break the mountain down. The mountain closes on the 15th and we come back the 16th to finish up what doesn't get done during the week. It's a ton of work but a very fun few days, as long as the weather holds.

If anybody needs it I've got a few passes available, send a PM

#269 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,335 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

You got it.

We have a few days left then we break the mountain down. The mountain closes on the 15th and we come back the 16th to finish up what doesn't get done during the week. It's a ton of work but a very fun few days, as long as the weather holds.

If anybody needs it I've got a few passes available, send a PM

Passes for Breck or Keystone?

Older daughter starts outdoor lab next week, I would like to take them up one last time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users