402 replies to this topic

#1 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

Does anyone know what has become of the the old Nacra 36 or the Jutson formula 40, are they still out there racing or have they been converted to winnebago's.

#2 Jethrow

Jethrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

There was a Nacra 36 doing charter thrill rides on Hamilton Island a couple of years ago, don't know if it's still there...

#3 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:08 AM

Does anyone know what has become of the the old Nacra 36 or the Jutson formula 40, are they still out there racing or have they been converted to winnebago's.

The info on the Jutson 40 is in the Prosail 40 thread Just asked the same question.
The 36 Nacra is that Malice ?

#4 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

The info on the Jutson 40 is in the Prosail 40 thread Just asked the same question.

Malice has a set of brand new carbon hulls under the old rig.The old hulls are somewhere in Port Douglas.Make Mal an offer.The Hammo boat is from the same mould as Malice but built to survey and is very heavy and quite slow.

#5 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

Malice has a set of brand new carbon hulls under the old rig.The old hulls are somewhere in Port Douglas.Make Mal an offer.The Hammo boat is from the same mould as Malice but built to survey and is very heavy and quite slow.

New rig is on the way so if you make an offer you might as well make a offer for the whole lot. I am sure Mal will be happy to have a second 36 to play against.

#6 lydia

lydia

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

Don't forget about the "Big Bandicoot"

#7 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

While you are talking about it. What about the B2G winners and the National champions for the last 20 years
Other than Raw nerve, Trilogy, Flat chat Rojntuju, most of the Raiders, Mad max, etc.

Where did Vagabond, Captain bligh, Shotover and Escapade end up

#8 Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

Talk to Brisbane Catamaran Centre. They bought the old Nacra 36 from Forbes to create the mold from.

#9 sailingkid

sailingkid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:A-cats, skiffs etc

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

If your talking about the 60 footer shotover its in monkey mia doing tourist cruises looking at dugongs

#10 ALL AT SEA

ALL AT SEA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:water, wind, gravity, keeping the wench happy.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

http://www.nwmultihu...ragonfly_01.htm is what happened to the jutson...

#11 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

old and no doubt fast
Posted Image

#12 ozmultis

ozmultis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

Ocean Emu was rebuilt, beautifully, and is sailing out of Briz Vegas. Stunning boat.

#13 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

last time I looked, Big Bandicoot was up in Darwin in the same yard as Recividist's new build. prior to that it was in Mackay.

#14 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Someone call the fire brigade
Attached File  DSCF2201 (800x600).jpg   266.77K   282 downloads

#15 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

flet chet and teepeng are now admiring sheep

#16 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

flet chet and teepeng are now admiring sheep

From 2003
Attached File  pict0060.jpg   242.29K   142 downloadsStart B2G

#17 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars-Fast Boats-Fast Woman and Beer

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

I didn't expect you here Lydia

Still trying to track the old Pumkin Eater / Growler / BlowMe......last heard of at Stradbroke somewhere........and Mai Tai / Miranda HiFi.....anyone...?
BTW. A mate was doing the graphics for a DVD cover (petrol station collection) for Big Bandicoot but it then got shelved. I'll try to get a master copy.

#18 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Attached File  001.JPG   261.68K   209 downloadsLast heard up in the Gulf with a dog house added.

#19 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

Attached File  003.JPG   386.36K   234 downloadsTalking of dissapearing boats.Where has Spirit gone?

#20 Recidivist

Recidivist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building sailing boats, cruising, racing, day sailing.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

Phil's right, Big Bandicoot is still on the hard in Darwin, getting a superficial makeover with new windows etc. New mast as well - MUCH larger section, thankfully.

Mai Tai - Shockwave 37? If so, she's here as well. Brought to Darwin as an open decker, had a God Pod built on and won the 2010 Darwin- Ambon race, only to break up on the way home. Crew were rescued by a freighter and the boat later washed up on another island. Indo police towed it to Ambon and the owner went back, slapped some glass over a few of the fractures, lashed the hulls to the beams with the spinnaker sheets and sailed her 600 miles to windward to get home! She was sold and the new owner removed the God Pod, must have replaced or repaired the broken beams and launched her. I haven't seen her for a few months so I don't know if she's still here or sailed away.

#21 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

New rig is on the way so if you make an offer you might as well make a offer for the whole lot. I am sure Mal will be happy to have a second 36 to play against.

Be nice to bring it back to Pittwater, can you PM me Mal's number please.

#22 Rohan C

Rohan C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

Attached File  003.JPG   386.36K   234 downloadsTalking of dissapearing boats.Where has Spirit gone?

As a family we moved to Seattle for 7 years and shipped the boat over and played around in the Pacific North West.

When George was kind enough not to renew our visas and we were all told to head back to Australia we decided to sell the boat.

She was purchased by a guy called Michael Reppy whose goal was to break the record for single handed SFO to Tokyo. The boat was then renamed as Dolphin Spirit http://www.dolphinspirit.org/ and was going to be used to highlight the issue of dolphin killings in Japan.....

The last thing I heard was that due to the issues in Japan this year that he put the boat up for sale... not sure if anyone bought it or not, but for the price they were offering a new owner would be getting a lot of bang for their buck.

#23 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:18 AM

As a family we moved to Seattle for 7 years and shipped the boat over and played around in the Pacific North West.

When George was kind enough not to renew our visas and we were all told to head back to Australia we decided to sell the boat.

She was purchased by a guy called Michael Reppy whose goal was to break the record for single handed SFO to Tokyo. The boat was then renamed as Dolphin Spirit http://www.dolphinspirit.org/ and was going to be used to highlight the issue of dolphin killings in Japan.....

The last thing I heard was that due to the issues in Japan this year that he put the boat up for sale... not sure if anyone bought it or not, but for the price they were offering a new owner would be getting a lot of bang for their buck.

Hey Rohan, i saw it up for sale for around 130K US. As you say a lot of bang for buck!!!!!

#24 janj70

janj70

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

These two kicked ass about 16 years ago around the Whitsundays. This shot was taken last weekend at Moreton Island. Hot Vindaloo and Live Wire.

Attached Files

#25 oldsalt78

oldsalt78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Sportsbikes, Vintage Vehicles, Photography, Art & Music

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

Posted Image

See nacra.com.au for info on the new Carbon 36 as well

#26 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

Maggie from Speers Point

that was a fast old aussie multi

#27 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

What about Bagatelle, last known being rebuilt in Cairns and not far from finished but not heard anything now for sometime. Anyone have any news on its progress?

#28 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:07 AM

Hey Rohan, i saw it up for sale for around 130K US. As you say a lot of bang for buck!!!!!

Just found out it has been sold to the guy who designed it in the US.
Give Rosco a call and I am sure he can do you a deal for a nice new carbon one with Carbon rig.

Just relised I replied to the wrong post. This is in regards to the Nacra 36

#29 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

Just found out it has been sold to the guy who designed it in the US.
Give Rosco a call and I am sure he can do you a deal for a nice new carbon one with Carbon rig.

Just relised I replied to the wrong post. This is in regards to the Nacra 36

Thats a bummer, would have been a cheap plaything.

#30 ozmultis

ozmultis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:02 AM

Pic of Ocean Emu the other day.

Attached File  emu.jpg   271.64K   123 downloads

#31 jayson

jayson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Sailing , kiteboard racing

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

D flawless was the fastest multi in Brisbane - possibly Australia when I started sailing in the very early 80's.That boat used to do horizon jobs on the entire fleet.ended up on the bottom of the ocean after hitting a shipping container/whale? on the way back from NZ,.read the book years ago , good read.

#32 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

here is a couple more legends

Attached File  AustraliaChild.jpg   18K   119 downloads

Attached File  johnwest.jpg   39.41K   111 downloads

cant fail to mention a true legend Lock Crowther

#33 SeaGul

SeaGul

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Fast multis and bikes and...

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

Ahhh that fantastic designed 40 Crowther tri - Bullfrog etc is really my all time favorite boat.

heres a movie http://currentsunshi...rbatim480-1.mov

#34 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

Ahhh that fantastic designed 40 Crowther tri - Bullfrog etc is really my all time favorite boat.

Thanks for the clip

#35 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the clip

Now has been made "eco friendly" ( no poluting engine) but don't know how 1 tonne of batteries helps it to sail faster ?
Also, was that extra weight allowed for in the original specs.? Seems to me modern boats are going lighter.

Speaking of lighter, will there be anymore Aus. line honours winners with cabins ? or are we going to be big "off the beach" multis ?
Like Raw to the core, Mad max, Nacra, Spud gun, Rapid ride, Seacart 26 or even Extreem 40 or AC 45.

#36 WetnWild

WetnWild

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

Here's Big Bandicoot in Darwin a bit over 2 years ago.

Attached Files

#37 WetnWild

WetnWild

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

And right beside Big Bandicoot - another classic - Des Grummitt's Sea Mist. Originally from Brisbane, then Cairns and sold by Des to Darwin.

Attached Files

#38 Rohan C

Rohan C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

Pic of Ocean Emu the other day.

Attached File  emu.jpg   271.64K   123 downloads

Looks just as good in green as she did in pink.... thanks for the update photo as I still think if you wanted to cruise the world she was an ideal design for it.

#39 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,610 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

Yep - still for sale

grainger tri

#40 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Its currently moored right behind my boat in Pittwater and still look ready to race even with a few cruising additions!!!

#41 ALL AT SEA

ALL AT SEA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:water, wind, gravity, keeping the wench happy.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

i think this would have had to have been one of the most successful racing yachts ever (and still one of my favorite boats!) - and ian and cathy were in a league of their own in this country at this time.

fantastic clip.

thank you!

Thanks for the clip

#42 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

Anyone know what happened to Asassin? A Nichol tri that was extended and was the fastest thing in QLD before Pumpkin Eater came along(before it crashed).

#43 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

Yep - still for sale

grainger tri

Jeez thats wide nearly the same dimensions of a OMRA 60 but 20ft shorter almost square.
You would need to be at the end finger in most parking lots.
Did it ever race in aus or win any major regattas

#44 Rohan C

Rohan C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

Yep - still for sale

grainger tri

Jeez thats wide nearly the same dimensions of a OMRA 60 but 20ft shorter almost square.
You would need to be at the end finger in most parking lots.
Did it ever race in aus or win any major regattas

Yes we did around 8 years racing in Australia from Melbourne to Tasmania and up as far as Port Douglas and we came home with a good swag of trophies for first across the line.... We were also the first boat to break the 1hour 50min bracket for the Melbourne to Geelong Passage Race but that was before they really started keeping records on the fastest time multihulls (Sportscar from here does have a video of it somewhere) - it was a shame that it then took us over 2 hours to get the pick to stay in the ground in Geelong as it affected the drinking time.

Like our previous boat Ocean Emu, she could push out speeds in the mid to high 20 knot range hour after hour with very little effort so she would be an ideal boat for anyone who wants to do some short handed racing. From memory the top speed we had was around the 34 knot mark but we all gave up looking at the readout as the boat was quite happy to go faster but we were not so keen on it.

#45 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

Did i read correctly that the new owner added a rudder to the main hull???

Was she originally designed with rudders only on the amas ?

Love the Grainger lines.

#46 Rohan C

Rohan C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

Love the Grainger lines.

Yes we only had rudders on the floats which was fine 90% of the time but in days when there was little wind it did cause a few issues

#47 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

Love the Grainger lines.

Yes we only had rudders on the floats which was fine 90% of the time but in days when there was little wind it did cause a few issues

Why? I don't understand?

#48 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

i think this would have had to have been one of the most successful racing yachts ever (and still one of my favorite boats!) - and ian and cathy were in a league of their own in this country at this time.

fantastic clip.

thank you!

Thanks for the clip

Great vid! That 1985 Tina Turner song kinda says it all.... a long time ago.

#49 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

Anyone know what happened to Asassin? A Nichol tri that was extended and was the fastest thing in QLD before Pumpkin Eater came along(before it crashed).

And i'll ask again.....where's pumkin Eater....?

#50 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:51 AM

Damn...I get Tina singing and no picture........help..anybody...

#51 harryproa

harryproa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

Wow, did that bring back some memories! Meeting Cath and Ian in Plymouth (we were all so skint our last meal before the Round Britain was a salad and 4 forks). Both of us capsizing in the race. Then crewing on Bullfrog in Sydney Hobart faster than an 80' maxi, Hamilton Island, Bris Gladstone and harbour racing against John West, the Nacra 36 and Riverside Oaks, . Pretty sure I am the poor wet bastard hanging on to the shroud at the end of the video.

Cath and Ian are indeed legends. Probably did more to get multis recognised in Aus than any other sailors.

Thanks Seagul.

rob

#52 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

How about Shot over, I heard she did one Brisbane to Gladston, and also the 60 foot version of bullfrog, I Cant remember her name, but was in Scarborough, when she came in after losing the rig in a cyclone in the crossing from N.Z. , She was HUGE at the dock...
Not too mention there was a long story behind the build of the big tri. More of Senior Crowther's designs. ;)

#53 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

How about Shot over, I heard she did one Brisbane to Gladston, and also the 60 foot version of bullfrog, I Cant remember her name, but was in Scarborough, when she came in after losing the rig in a cyclone in the crossing from N.Z. , She was HUGE at the dock...
Not too mention there was a long story behind the build of the big tri. More of Senior Crowther's designs. ;)

Avatar has retired to the Whitsundays.Trimariner can tell you more about her.

#54 overbend

overbend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

From a mate who was onboard at the time - there was no cyclone involved in the loss of the rig, yes it was windy but certainly not a cyclone. It was as simple as a turnbuckle that wasnt locked and come unwound.
And that was only one of quite a few issues in the crossing but that can wait for another time.

#55 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:18 AM

Shotover had line honors a few times.
Here is a bit of history for you here Keith. http://www.mycq.org..../BG_Honours.htm
The other 40ft Shotover 2 had line honors as well.
Anyone know where it is.

Attached File  imagesCAJMQ7K4.jpg   5.21K   191 downloads

#56 fraze

fraze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

Here is a bit of history for you here Keith. http://www.mycq.org..../BG_Honours.htm
Anyone know where it is.

I happened to see a fantastic site when Shotover2 missed a rounding mark in the 88 Bris to Gladstone in Bramble Bay which almost put her last but once around the breeze had increased to 20kts and this was an awsome site watching her run through the field with two mains and a tiny shy kite at mindblowing speed and spray to be head of the fleet by the time they reached Moreton Island, I think John West and Bullfrog were in the fleet as well so just goes to show, one of my all time favorites

#57 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

Anyone know where it is.

your's for $50 K
http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-catamarans/rodgers-40/89679

sitting on her mooring at Bayveiw Pittwater, still a fast boat

#58 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

Wow, fantastic reminiscing here on these old superboats. Some BrsVegas updates:
I believe the Firetruck sank for a day recently when a gland failed. She was safe inside Scarborough Harbour on pile moorings until greed ripped them out for a bigger (empty) marina and all the old boats got pushed out into the bay.
Ocean Emu has had an average of one sail per year since the upgrade, and although the paint job is awesome, she is not going as fast as she looks.
Assassin was up the river for a while.
Cliffhanger should be added to the list and she just fronted for the nats and looked damn fine for an old girl. I have the trophies for the owner if anyone can find her for us?
And the Sea Mist... I was lucky enough to cross the bay in the blink of an eye to do one of her first races with Des while the inside was unpainted ply, and the back beam was flexing up at least 200 mm under mainsheet load in the puffs. Felt OK when on one hull, just a lot of WTF OMG and spray. When we flogged the unbeatable Ben Bolt in that race, her owner (clubhouse keyholder) stayed out on the mooring while the rest of us waited for someone else to get a key to let us in the clubhouse for a drink.
Ahh to dream of the old days after a perfect weekend of Bribie Cup racing in 12 knots NE Saturday and then a cruise today in 20 knots N for a return trip from the Sandhills on Moreton to Sandgate leads in 80 minutes. Maybe the caravan will feature here one day.

#59 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

Here's an oldie. My dad built this Crowther Tempest 33 (Wildcry) back in the late 70s. He put a 46 foot rig on it and weighing in at only 2,200 kgs, it was the quickie of the Victorian multihull fleet. Wildcry went on to win everything on offer in Victoria durning the late 70s and early 80s. Unfortunately after he sold it in the early 90s it dragged anchor and was wrecked on South Percy Island. We did many Melbourne - Devonport races and other coastal races in Victoria as well as regular racing in Westernport and Port Philip bays. Dad pulled out of a race in the mid 80s and decided to take up cruising. He left Melbourne and curised the East coast living on it for 6 years until he had to upgrade to a bigger boat due to pressure from his lady. He purchased a modified Crowther 10 cat and cruised it for 7 years. Attached File  1.jpg   758.03K   67 downloadsHe then sold that cat and at 62 years of age built an Oram 43 cat ( Starfire) in 13 months for under 100K. Now at 74 he decided to go cruising internationally. He left Darwin with his lady back in July and he arrived in Singapore just a week ago. Go dad!!!!!

#60 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

Here's an oldie. My dad built this Crowther Tempest 33 (Wildcry) back in the late 70s. He put a 46 foot rig on it and weighing in at only 2,200 kgs, it was the quickie of the Victorian multihull fleet. Wildcry went on to win everything on offer in Victoria durning the late 70s and early 80s. Unfortunately after he sold it in the early 90s it dragged anchor and was wrecked on South Percy Island. We did many Melbourne - Devonport races and other coastal races in Victoria as well as regular racing in Westernport and Port Philip bays. Dad pulled out of a race in the mid 80s and decided to take up cruising. He left Melbourne and curised the East coast living on it for 6 years until he had to upgrade to a bigger boat due to pressure from his lady. He purchased a modified Crowther 10 cat and cruised it for 7 years. Attached File  1.jpg   758.03K   67 downloadsHe then sold that cat and at 62 years of age built an Oram 43 cat ( Starfire) in 13 months for under 100K. Now at 74 he decided to go cruising internationally. He left Darwin with his lady back in July and he arrived in Singapore just a week ago. Go dad!!!!!

Darren you have hi-jacked the thread from old Multi's to old Dad

don't blame ya, good bloke your dad

#61 fraze

fraze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:42 AM

Wow, fantastic reminiscing here on these old superboats. Some BrsVegas updates:
I believe the Firetruck sank for a day recently when a gland failed. She was safe inside Scarborough Harbour on pile moorings until greed ripped them out for a bigger (empty) marina and all the old boats got pushed out into the bay.
Ocean Emu has had an average of one sail per year since the upgrade, and although the paint job is awesome, she is not going as fast as she looks.
Assassin was up the river for a while.
Cliffhanger should be added to the list and she just fronted for the nats and looked damn fine for an old girl. I have the trophies for the owner if anyone can find her for us?
And the Sea Mist... I was lucky enough to cross the bay in the blink of an eye to do one of her first races with Des while the inside was unpainted ply, and the back beam was flexing up at least 200 mm under mainsheet load in the puffs. Felt OK when on one hull, just a lot of WTF OMG and spray. When we flogged the unbeatable Ben Bolt in that race, her owner (clubhouse keyholder) stayed out on the mooring while the rest of us waited for someone else to get a key to let us in the clubhouse for a drink.
Ahh to dream of the old days after a perfect weekend of Bribie Cup racing in 12 knots NE Saturday and then a cruise today in 20 knots N for a return trip from the Sandhills on Moreton to Sandgate leads in 80 minutes. Maybe the caravan will feature here one day.

Cliffhanger's owner is Glenn on 0417620706

#62 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

Darren you have hi-jacked the thread from old Multi's to old Dad

don't blame ya, good bloke your dad

It seems you had no mono/multi choice........I hope i'm doing that at 74....in fact i hope i'm doing anything at 74....

#63 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

I'm restoring a C Class trimaran Lock Crowthers original Kraken 25 this was one of Lock's earliest tri's around 1962. Hope to do some club racing with the Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria on the boat. I reckon we'll do ok when the wind is light.

Attached Files

#64 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

I'm restoring a C Class trimaran Lock Crowthers original Kraken 25 this was one of Lock's earliest tri's around 1962. Hope to do some club racing with the Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria on the boat. I reckon we'll do ok when the wind is light.

Keep us upto date with your progress with some photo's. Do you know whether this was the only one built?

#65 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:25 AM

Attached File  kraken 25 main hull final triple diagonal lamination.jpg   770.48K   25 downloads

Keep us upto date with your progress with some photo's. Do you know whether this was the only one built?

I have a build log up on boatdesign.net

Kraken 25 build log

I've rebuilt the main hull from scratch luckily I had a photocopy of the original plans out of scale but able to rescale quite well. I'm up to the final lamination of the main hull triple diagonal cold molding with about 1 1/2 of the main hull to finish. I also found the floats were too rotted out to reuse so I'm building a new set in double diagonal using the original float with the outer layer removed as a base the new floats will be a shade wider but should make no difference at all to performance. I'm looking forward to turning the main hull prior to Christmas and aim to get the boat on the water by mid 2012.

I've saved a few bits from the original boat the rudder blade and stock, the original daggerboard, the mast and boom and the crossbeams will be salvageable. The original hulls were just too far gone to be worth rebuilding.

There were a few Kraken 25's built, one called Jabberwock was built by Martin Cooper in Queensland. I recall reading about a Kraken 25 in the states that carried the sail number 45 so quite a few plan sets were sold.

#66 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Attached File  kraken 25 main hull final triple diagonal lamination.jpg   770.48K   25 downloads

Kraken 25 build log

That's awesome! I'll follow this! Love the traps too!

I've rebuilt the main hull from scratch luckily I had a photocopy of the original plans out of scale but able to rescale quite well. I'm up to the final lamination of the main hull triple diagonal cold molding with about 1 1/2 of the main hull to finish. I also found the floats were too rotted out to reuse so I'm building a new set in double diagonal using the original float with the outer layer removed as a base the new floats will be a shade wider but should make no difference at all to performance. I'm looking forward to turning the main hull prior to Christmas and aim to get the boat on the water by mid 2012.

I've saved a few bits from the original boat the rudder blade and stock, the original daggerboard, the mast and boom and the crossbeams will be salvageable. The original hulls were just too far gone to be worth rebuilding.

There were a few Kraken 25's built, one called Jabberwock was built by Martin Cooper in Queensland. I recall reading about a Kraken 25 in the states that carried the sail number 45 so quite a few plan sets were sold.

#67 Savoyard

Savoyard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive,sailing,boat building,reading.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

Kraken 25 build log

Minor point. The Kraken 25 may well be 25 feet long, she is almost certainly wider than 14 feet and she quite possibly, or even probably has more than 300 square feet of sail, but she is not a C Class, which in addition to those beam and sail area limits states right at the beginning of the rules that a C Class is a catamaran. I know that the Bard said "what's in a name" but Kraken 25 is fine, a C Class is not..

#68 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

Kraken 25 build log

Minor point. The Kraken 25 may well be 25 feet long, she is almost certainly wider than 14 feet and she quite possibly, or even probably has more than 300 square feet of sail, but she is not a C Class, which in addition to those beam and sail area limits states right at the beginning of the rules that a C Class is a catamaran. I know that the Bard said "what's in a name" but Kraken 25 is fine, a C Class is not..

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the original C class rules (and D, B and A as well) did not have the catamaran restriction and it was a later amendment?

#69 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

Kraken 25 build log

Sounds like the restoration I did to my grandfathers axe!

#70 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

Kraken 25 build log

When i was about 16 (33 years ago) a long time multihull builder in Victoria now living in Queensland called Wayne Barrett built a really nice Kraken 18. Last heard it was on Lake Eppalock i believe. i think yours was on the Gippsland lakes for a long time. if its the one there's a photo of it in Paynseville Yacht Club's foyer when Lock was racing it there.

#71 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

The boat was designed at the time to meet the C class box rule as they stood at the time its 25' x 14' and has 300 sqft of sail. I know Lock was irritated that tri's could not race in C class.

The boat was the same that lived down on the Gippsland Lakes later it was sailed out of Frankston Yacht Club then my parents bought the boat and Sailed it out of Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron on the Mornington Peninsula. I hope to take it down there to race when its all ready to go.

#72 waikikin

waikikin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Cars,

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

I remember Wildcry, & was cruising nearby when she was lost on Percy, last saw her at Great Keppel, also known to us as the green gerkins cos of her colour I suppose. Also pretty sure I met your Dad, I think he was doing masseur/sport therapy or somesuch. All the best.

#73 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

Just got back from Port Douglas and spotted what appeared to be either a nacra 36 or similar on its road trailer. Can any one confirm this. It seemed to be in good nick but out in the sun with no cover.

#74 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

Attached File  malice shot_150x150_p1 - Copy (3).jpg   107.08K   175 downloads

Just got back from Port Douglas and spotted what appeared to be either a nacra 36 or similar on its road trailer. Can any one confirm this. It seemed to be in good nick but out in the sun with no cover.

If it was covered in graphics it was the new carbon N36 Malice.It lives in Prt Douglas.The original hulls are up there too.

#75 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

If it was covered in graphics it was the new carbon N36 Malice.It lives in Prt Douglas.The original hulls are up there too.

Thanks Chippy, that be her.....wouldn't you by a cheap tarp or some thing similar....?

#76 scottmax

scottmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:16 AM

Thanks Chippy, that be her.....wouldn't you by a cheap tarp or some thing similar....?

What you saw wouldn't be the normal. Mal looks after his boats much better than most. It would have been temporary for sure.
He also sail pretty regularly in the local scene around Cairns as well.

#77 Fishing

Fishing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

Originally from NZ and then Noumea - now in Aust so partially qualifies . . . could be a good boat for someone.

Schionning

#78 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

Has anyone around Cairns got the latest on Bags

#79 TornadoCAN99

TornadoCAN99

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

At least I knew, there was/is a Nacra 36 in SoCal..."2 of 10". Had been moth-balled in a warehouse for the past few years...but it gave us some good races around the channel islands aboard Afterburner (52 ft Bladerunner).

#80 oldsailor

oldsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:04 AM

Anyone know what happened to Logan Apperlys Kraken 40, "Mana Moana".
She broke the Sydney-NZ record on her maiden voyage with Lock Crowther aboard.
Logan sold her after she was pitchpoled in Manly(NSW)Harbour.
Also "Ringo" Dave Greens Kraken 40 which set a record for the New York-Bermuda race. Ringo was sold to Mike Kane in So Cal and I don't know what happened to her either :(

#81 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Also "Ringo" Dave Greens Kraken 40 which set a record for the New York-Bermuda race. Ringo was sold to Mike Kane in So Cal and I don't know what happened to her either :(

This is the only Kraken I know about. Dont know whether it flipped in Manly though.
http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/triad.html
There was the 37 Yumi Maru.

#82 Savoyard

Savoyard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive,sailing,boat building,reading.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

At least I knew, there was/is a Nacra 36 in SoCal..."2 of 10". Had been moth-balled in a warehouse for the past few years...but it gave us some good races around the channel islands aboard Afterburner (52 ft Bladerunner).

So, a Tornado sailor,living in Vancouver, one time crew member on Afterburner. I trust that you are a member of the BCMS and if so I could use your expertise re Tornado rigs for my single handed,day sailing, old C Class platform.

#83 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

This is the only Kraken I know about. Dont know whether it flipped in Manly though.
http://www.thecoasta....com/triad.html

Small world.......I see Phil Webb (owner of Triad)regularly as we both race Superkarts around Australia........very sad story that....he's an absolute lovely guy.

#84 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:44 AM

Small world.......I see Phil Webb (owner of Triad)regularly as we both race Superkarts around Australia........very sad story that....he's an absolute lovely guy.

Hey Pil Happy New Year
I remember it sitting in Montys rotting away years ago maybe before Phil got hold of it.
Credits to The Coastal Passage didnt notice the copyright at the bottom of the page first off.

#85 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

Hey Pil Happy New Year
I remember it sitting in Montys rotting away years ago maybe before Phil got hold of it.
Credits to The Coastal Passage didnt notice the copyright at the bottom of the page first off.

I thought Yumi Maru was a Kraken 55? Or was there more than one tri with the same name?

#86 Y-Bar

Y-Bar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:41 AM

My mistake you are correct

#87 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

http://youtu.be/t4KQQoVe0dc

Flatchat has a new owner and is back in salt water.

#88 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:48 AM

http://youtu.be/t4KQQoVe0dc

Flatchat has a new owner and is back in salt water.

Yep - showed that to Darren (ex owner) several months ago when it came up on Crew Org NZ
I like the big patches on the sails, and the easy single - handed ability ( schreecher and all) :P
Here is a question for you and Tony G how much faster would a new carbon "Twinblade 45" be
Would they do the B2G, be as fast as the AC45, why don't people go with the tried and tested designers

Who are all these new designers and what experience do they have, all of a sudden every second marine architect has a catamaran design that claims racing success and with a glossy web page ?????

#89 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

She still looks good but yes some new rags are in order

#90 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

Thats a great promotional MH video, highlights all the best aspects, no crew hastles effortless speed, relaxed sailing, beers don't spill. Don't know how he gets away advertising day charters, NZ regs can't be that different to ours, and aint no way that boat is in survey.

#91 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

wow

that's a light and powerful machine to sail across the ditch

how many days

5, more?

#92 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:41 AM

I recall reading somewhere that whole sections of the hull were "breathing" in and out on Flat Chat on the ocean swells when she crossed the Tasman. It all sounded a bit of a concern but they got there.

#93 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

I recall reading somewhere that whole sections of the hull were "breathing" in and out on Flat Chat on the ocean swells when she crossed the Tasman. It all sounded a bit of a concern but they got there.

Cynophobe does the same thing .With the hatches shut she's basicly airtight and you can feel the pressure change on your ear drums.The leward hull in a bit of sea is not a fun place to be for too long.

#94 TornadoCAN99

TornadoCAN99

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

So, a Tornado sailor,living in Vancouver, one time crew member on Afterburner. I trust that you are a member of the BCMS and if so I could use your expertise re Tornado rigs for my single handed,day sailing, old C Class platform.

Be glad to help you out. You can reach me to exchange contact details via Private Message on this site...

Cheers.

#95 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:49 AM

Cynophobe does the same thing .With the hatches shut she's basicly airtight and you can feel the pressure change on your ear drums.The leward hull in a bit of sea is not a fun place to be for too long.

Yeah Flatty was a special boat!!! when we sold it to the guy that sailed it to NZ, ( Craig) i remember him calling me 2 or 3 days out on his sat phone sounding very concerned. They were 600 odd miles off Sydney. The boat was going along fine in 35 knots on the nose. they had 3 reefs in and the storm jib up but his concern was that the hull soles and sides below the gunwales were pumping and the dagger board cases were twisting a bit. Once i said that was all normal stuff for the boat offshore, he sighed and said thank god for that, thanks i'll let the boys know they will also be happy to hear that. The hulls really did pump offshore. it felt weird standing on the soles of the hulls feeling your feet moving up and down or your shoulders being pressed by the hull sides with the movement of the hulls.

it was certainly a great Kiwi effort to sail it across the ditch. i also remember on the day Craig came for the test sail. As we sailed down Pittwater on one hull with him smiling ear to ear he said "forget the survey, i'm buying it". i then said ok lets organise the shipping to NZ. He then looked at me strangely and said Oh no.... we will sail it back. Within 30 minutes he had called 3 of his mates, booked them flights and they left 3 days later after paying for the boat in full. i think it took them 5 days to get to Nelson.

As for it being in charter, yes it is.. but only in NZ. i also cant believe it got into charter but it is NZ rules after all.

I still ponder the idea of building a 46 foot Flat Chat. I was in Phuket with Tony G a few months back and we spoke about it then, however i'd want little blisters following the lines of the cabin shape in towards the centre of the boat to allow for 2 decent bunks instead of trying to sleep under the cockpits which was a shitter during an ocean race. Long live Flatty!

#96 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,676 posts
  • Interests:Hobie Miracle 20

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

Older fast Aussie multis?

Mosquito! 40 years of nationals this year.

Posted Image

A CLASS of racing catamaran designed in Darwin in 1966 has celebrated 40 years of national racing.The five-metre Mosquito, designed by Darwin man and prolific small-boat designer Neil Fowler, has changed a lot in its 46 years of development, but attracted 28 boats to the 40th national championship in Rivoli Bay, South Australia this month

SA Mosquito president Graeme Davies said the boat is an Aussie icon.

"This uniquely Australian boat continues to thrill Australian sailors young and old," he said.

It is raced in SA, Victoria, New South Wales and South Africa, but a Mossie sailing in Darwin is now a rare sight.

The nationals were last held in Darwin in the mid-80s.

The boat can be raced with either one sail or two, for one or two people, and is made from fibreglass or wood.

Mr Fowler designed several other boats; the 4.3-meter Arrow class catamaran - of which several sail regularly in Darwin - in 1964, the 3.5-meter Arafura Cadet catamaran in 1963, and also the Red Baron cruising catamaran, the BlackWitch cat, and the Mynx class.

He died in 2006 aged 84.

#97 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

Posted ImageThe mozzie may be an oldy but they have moved with the times and are still a great boat

#98 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

Posted Imagedoes this mean Mal has the new carbon rig on the new boat?

#99 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, booze and boobs.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

1326871636[/url]' post='3550378']
Posted Imagedoes this mean Mal has the new carbon rig on the new boat?

Think it is on the way... Exciting times.

#100 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

No shelter for pinnie to light the durries!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users