• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ragpicker

Ragpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

I've got what I believe is a "New Model" [around 1985-86] Barient #10 that lost the upper flange on the drum. It cracked and then was lost overboard under load.
It appears to have been a pressed-on bakelite type material. I've been searching for compatible drums or a way to repair it since it and it's mate are
in otherwise perfect condition. Waiting to hear from ARCO.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached File  IMG_0135.JPG   153.29K   27 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0131.JPG   176.97K   24 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0136.JPG   126.98K   18 downloads

#2 Dave

Dave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Try calling up Bacon Sails. They have some old winches. You might get lucky and find a Barient 10 spare parts winch.

I've got what I believe is a "New Model" [around 1985-86] Barient #10 that lost the upper flange on the drum. It cracked and then was lost overboard under load.
It appears to have been a pressed-on bakelite type material. I've been searching for compatible drums or a way to repair it since it and it's mate are
in otherwise perfect condition. Waiting to hear from ARCO.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached File  IMG_0135.JPG   153.29K   27 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0131.JPG   176.97K   24 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0136.JPG   126.98K   18 downloads

#3 sailorbob

sailorbob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Sailboats, Sailboats, and did I mention... Sailboats

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

Call Bud at Newport Nautical and Marine Consignment. I've seen a number of Barients on his shelves.

#4 The Owner

The Owner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

There are some on Ebay for $25. Otherwise talk to anyone with a C&C 25 or similar from that era and they probably have one or two in their garage.

#5 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,610 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:21 AM

OK I read this thread and thought, I have some barient 10s around here. Maybe I'll just ship him one for super cheap...

So I stepped out to the shop junk attic to investigate my stock....

Wierd folks, those Barient guys...

I have two barient 10s and a barient 10 P on my shelf and none look like either of my others or like yours.

Two have a allen wrench operated system to hold the top to the base but all three have drums that look like "normal " winches.

Normal?? the third one's drum is held in place by a large washer which is held down by the circlip wrapped around the handle socket.

The upper stick out part of the winch is part of the drum on all three of mine. Your stick out part is part of the cap..

I have seen 6P and 8 P that come apart like yours.

Old barlow secondary winches on J-24s looked sorta like yours except on those, the top spun separatly from the rest of the drum and acted like a ratchet.

Lots of J-22s had the barlow 8 p as original equipment and the damned things tended to freeze up after a not anywhere near enough use.

damn...just a lot of useless information..

I had planned to help.

Well maybe you didn't know Barlow made a whole lot of winches and put 10 on them. I sure didn't know that ten minutes ago.

#6 The Owner

The Owner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

I have 4 #10's on my boat. They are all the "washer/retaining clip" version and the drums are one piece. Circa 1982.

#7 Ragpicker

Ragpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for the interest and the suggestions. I've seen a number of 10's for sail on ebay and other websites, but all different from mine. Mine is the only one I've seen that has the 2 main roller bearings. Others have 1.
From what I remember many Barient, Barlow and Lewmar winches had interchangeable parts and I don't doubt that sometimes they just cobbled together what was on the shelf to make a new winch style. That's why
I posted the pix.

#8 Cuttyhunker

Cuttyhunker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

You tried measuring ID Nd OD and having it machined? Might be cheaper ....... Might not

#9 Ragpicker

Ragpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

Just want to update anyone interested.
Heard from ARCO/Hutton winches in Oz. The winch is a Barient #10/ Barlow #16. They sent me a schematic and will ship the plastic part complete for less than $52.
All I have to do is use a 2 part epoxy to secure it in place.
Thanks to all who responded.

#10 Dave

Dave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

Now that Ragpicker fixed his problem I don't feel bad about making a highjack :D

I have 2 Berient 24s (although they match the Barient 25s in the manual) and 2 Barient 20s (I think, they match the 19s in the manual). All allen wrench styles.

My question is an extra "part" that each has that isn't mentioned in any of the schematics for any of the winches. When you pull off the top cap and underneath the two pawls is a plastic "seal". It basically sits on top of the gearbox between the top of the shaft and the pawls. What is this piece and is it needed (one of mine is damaged/warped)? Its very thin and a hard plastic so its not much of a seal. It might be to keep grease from the bearing out of the pawls.

BTW here's a copy of the manual if anyone could use it.

Barient Manual

#11 Rick 34018

Rick 34018

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

My Barient 18s are the same as the Barlow 19s shown in the manual.
They don't have any plastic piece under the pawls and have worked fine for 25 years.

Cheers

Rick

Now that Ragpicker fixed his problem I don't feel bad about making a highjack :D

I have 2 Berient 24s (although they match the Barient 25s in the manual) and 2 Barient 20s (I think, they match the 19s in the manual). All allen wrench styles.

My question is an extra "part" that each has that isn't mentioned in any of the schematics for any of the winches. When you pull off the top cap and underneath the two pawls is a plastic "seal". It basically sits on top of the gearbox between the top of the shaft and the pawls. What is this piece and is it needed (one of mine is damaged/warped)? Its very thin and a hard plastic so its not much of a seal. It might be to keep grease from the bearing out of the pawls.

BTW here's a copy of the manual if anyone could use it.

Barient Manual

#12 Dave

Dave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The only purpose I can see is keeping grease away from the paws. Some discussion with a crew member of mine (much more mechanically inclinded individual than myself) is making me think its not only unnessary but an add on from a previous owner and not original.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users