222 replies to this topic

#1 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Here's a big balls adventure that (so far) has been well executed. . . . Thru the Northwest passage and then around the horn non-stop and solo in a vega 27!

http://www.solotheamericas.org/

#2 Soñadora

Soñadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

That''s great. Definitely ballsy.

But I have to say the "I'm a sailor and I want to go on an adventure but I don't have any money so I'm going to make up a cause and then ask for money so I can get money to realize my adventure" bit is getting old.

#3 triciarob

triciarob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:yes we have interests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Got to agree with Sons.

Remember back in the day, when people just used to do this sort of shit without all the sponsorship?
Maybe you would meet them, or hear about them from somebody who had, or even just read about them in some magazine article written after the fact. Probably not even bothered by the couple of hundred dollars they got from the mag, just quietly pleased and satisfied with making the voyage for whatever personal reasons they had.
Not good enough nowadays.
Nowadays it tends to be;
"Give me some money so I can do something extreme and give myself loads of publicity and become famous because I deserve it ! No I don't want to work for it , I want it now ! "
Or,
"Whatever...........ask my Daddy."

I mean seriously, who gives a fuck ?

R

P.s. Nothing personal Matt

#4 sailSAK

sailSAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Credit where credit is due, sponsorship aside. The dude made it though the NW passage on a 27 footer. I didn't think he had a snowball chance in hell of doing that a year ago.

#5 Captain John

Captain John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:sailing and boating writer; licensed captain for sail and power.

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

It's a great accomplishment, but I agree about doing it without advertisements or sponsorship. He could write a book or produce a documentary. That way, he would reach many more people and encourage others to follow their dreams.

#6 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

I'm sorta OK with the whole sponsor-me deal, but I'm much more keen on puttin some cotters or ring-dings in that backstay turnbuckle. Pic #8 shows him about 10 turns from doom.

#7 toddster

toddster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Not a comment on the OP... Apropos the comments, just saw this on The Onion:

Man To Sail Around World To Decrease Awareness Of Important Issues
NOVEMBER 14, 2011 | ISSUE 47•46

ENCINITAS, CA—In a completely inconsequential event that has already captured the imaginations of thousands, amateur sailor Michael Gilmer, 29, announced Monday he would be embarking on a sea journey around the world to actively decrease awareness of significant global issues."

Gilmer's expedition, which will cover approximately 28,000 nautical miles and bring absolutely no exposure to any urgent environmental or social causes whatsoever, is expected to last roughly 90 days and draw millions of eyes around the world directly away from events of actual, crucial import.

"I hope to use my lifelong love of sailing to take part in a completely irrelevant novelty stunt that in no way benefits humanity," Gilmer said of the non-news event that will needlessly cycle in and out of the top spot on news websites for weeks. "The goal here is to really make people think about a young, overconfident asshole on a boat rather than any pressing matters of substance that actually affect people's lives." more

#8 bheintz

bheintz

Anarchist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Not a comment on the OP... Apropos the comments, just saw this on The Onion:

Man To Sail Around World To Decrease Awareness Of Important Issues
NOVEMBER 14, 2011 | ISSUE 47•46

Finally a Cause I can believe in.

#9 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:44 AM

I am currently reading Lin & Larry's European Adventure. I've seen Vega 27's..they are OK boats & seem pretty seaworthy.

Lin & Larry Pardey had some balls back in the day & there were a lot of challenges with no motor and those tides in England. (this book was written in the early 1970's if I recall) & Lin had some beautiful hair.

#10 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:24 AM

I've seen Vega 27's..they are OK boats & seem pretty seaworthy.

He's still trucking along at 32S 123W, just about even with Santiago Chile. The roaring 40's coming up pretty soon. I honestly think this is a pretty impressive effort in a small boat. He's been going non-stop since June 13th on a 27'er and I guess he is just a bit more than halfway.

#11 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

I am currently reading Lin & Larry's European Adventure. I've seen Vega 27's..they are OK boats & seem pretty seaworthy.

Lin & Larry Pardey had some balls back in the day & there were a lot of challenges with no motor and those tides in England. (this book was written in the early 1970's if I recall) & Lin had some beautiful hair.

A recent, former employee of Bacon Sails has spent the last couple of years re-fitting an Albin Vega for major cruising with his new wife. They are both young, but very capable. They sail on tall ships, and he taught sailing out in Cali. The spent a lot of time getting her right. They sailed with me on the Coronado and I was mightily impressed with them. They're going to start by cruising the east coast, then down to the Carrib for a season. Eventually, they're going through the Ditch, over to the west coast.

They have even lived aboard for several months to get themselves in the right mental state while building the cruising kitty.

#12 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

He's now in the 40's, and has started to make the turn heading toward the horn, having put 16,000nm behind him so far, non-stop and solo vega 27. I continue to be impressed by the venture, whatever one thinks of the (half hearted) publicity and fund raising attempts.

#13 krissteyn

krissteyn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

Some German fella sold a 27 Vega in florida a few years ago - with a bow thruster .....

I kept a paddle handy on my 27 footer for moving the bow, and on occasion jumped overboard and pushed if the depth was less than 6'.

This guy has a lotta cajones , anyway you look at it....

Kris

#14 querencia

querencia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

Looks like Matt is just about to round the Horn....

#15 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Looks like Matt is just about to round the Horn....

Yes and in addition to balls he has luck. The weather is perfect.
Attached File  horn.jpg   154.61K   53 downloads

Napoleon said he would rather have a lucky general than a smart one!

#16 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:53 AM

Great news Estar...thanks for the update.

#17 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

For sure, I've been following this with interest.

#18 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

I know there was a discussion about the "look at me, sponsor me" aspect but.......

Wow! This is pretty impressive nonetheless. And inspiring. Reminds me of reading about Guzzwell and about Vito Dumas....

On a side note: Never thought of using a paintball mask as a substitute for a dodger......

#19 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

His website has links to where you can make contributions, but if you read his periodic postings, he never solicits money or commercializes what he's doing. He's just sailing and reporting on what he's doing.

He was pumping for an hour a day to make potable water for himself. Now he's reduced to pumping an engine oil siphon pump to clear his bilges every 5 hours, and flushing that overboard via the toilet. Does he really think his siphon pump and toilet are going to withstand that all the way back to Annapolis?

I don't. I hope someone makes a parts drop to him soon.

#20 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:47 AM

Webb Chiles had a cracked hull and bailed his ass around Cape Horn! B)

It ain't like you can just stop in to your local chanderly for repairs down there...good luck to him!

#21 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:02 AM

Webb Chiles had a cracked hull and bailed his ass around Cape Horn! B)

It ain't like you can just stop in to your local chanderly for repairs down there...good luck to him!

I never looked at Ericsons quite the same after reading that story.

He spent a lot of time getting into trouble in any boat he was on. I think he beats Tristan Jones for the number of boats lost.

#22 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

[hijack]
Ish...I check out his website regularly. His story about floating around in the Gulf Stream for 27 hours as he stepped up out of his boat into the ocean is pretty interesting.. I have recently been re-reading his logs from his most recent circumnavigation in 2009. He's got a few books too...in paper and Kindle available, but I don't own a Kindle so I can't tell you how they are yet..but, judging by his writing on his website, they are likely similar and a good read. I'll probably download them all when I buy eventually one of those things.

He is not afraid to share his mood swings from "I wish I was in charge of my own boat" (while in Panama Canal), or, "I wish I was at sea again", while in port, to "this passage is the slowest ever...I can't wait to get to port if the mast stays up" (not direct quotes!)..I think he does a good job (myself with some, but limited ocean experience) of explaining how we go from one extreme to the other during an ocean passage...he's gone around 5 times I think now.

http://www.inthepres...webbchiles.html
[/hijack]

#23 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hopefully this doesn't impact him...

Earthquake off Antarctic coast

#24 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

He's now back above 50 in the atlantic, and no news in it but a decent article

#25 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Washington Post Article

D-mn that puppy is tiny......

Posted Image

#26 holla619

holla619

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

I read that *entire* blog last week; amazing stuff. Always was interested in the NW Passage because it seems like one of those places that sailboats just never go to. Even Antartica is probably more frequently visited. From reading Matt's account, I might be okay with never going.

That Onion article is hilarious. The cause he's representing is decent and he's raised around 30K for them. It's not starving children in Africa but if you want to shit on every "lesser charity" out there that isn't directly feeding children I hope you drank a lot of beer cause it's going to be a long pee.

#27 dew

dew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:SAILING, duh

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

Read the article in the Wash Post this morning,there was also a good article in Cruising World recently. Damn all of that black mold, that shit ain't good for you. That sounds more miserable than I want to imagine. Being that lonely seems unbearable but comes with the territory. All of the single hand sailors speak of the loneliness as one of the bigger problems to deal with. If what does not kill you makes you stronger he will come back a super hero.

dew

#28 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

Now he's bailing with an empty can and a bucket. taking on water. Is there some way to get him a bilge plump?

#29 Hiracer

Hiracer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:x

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

http://mobile.seattl...31/track-.-.-./

#30 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

If my boat is operational when this guy comes up thru here, I am going out to see him.

#31 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

If my his boat is still operational when this guy comes up thru here, I am going out to see him.

Fixed, and +1. :unsure:

#32 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

Ajax, I have no doubt his boat will be operational. Mine might still be winterized, but I hope not. Via e-mail, I've chatted with Hobie Dog, Vitamin Sea, Sequoia & Smurff...one of us will have a seaworthy vessel capable of delivering this crazy guy a 4-pack of canned Guinness as he passes by Solomons. I wouldn't want him to cut his finger on broken glass during the last 45nm after traveling 25K+ miles.

#33 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

Ajax, I have no doubt his boat will be operational. Mine might still be winterized, but I hope not. Via e-mail, I've chatted with Hobie Dog, Vitamin Sea, Sequoia & Smurff...one of us will have a seaworthy vessel capable of delivering this crazy guy a 4-pack of canned Guinness as he passes by Solomons. I wouldn't want him to cut his finger on broken glass during the last 45nm after traveling 25K+ miles.

I know an Albin Vega is built like a brick shithouse, but he says he's taking on more water than he should be, and he's bailing with a #10 can and a 5 gallon bucket. I emailed, asking if there would be a supply drop where I could include a bilge pump but no answer.

I tell you what, I wouldn't want to be the next owner of St. Brendan. Posted Image

#34 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Mine might still be winterized

Geez... at his speed, it may be May before he hits Solomon's. I'll be out for his homecoming in Naptown.

Looks like Matt tacked yesterday, hopefully he got a good lift.... Godspeed to ya !!!!!

#35 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

IM, even better...the water may be tolerably warm enough to scrape the prop after sitting all winter.\

ajax, the only logical answer (other than semi-catastrophic failure at a thru-hull fitting) is a bad stuffing box..either at the rudder (if it has one, some housings go all the way up to the cockpit floor to avoid this), or at the prop shaft. My rudder box only leaks when the stern squats under power..the rest of the time it is above the water line. I replaced my prop shaft stuffing box last year and put in goretex packing. It is virtually dripless now.

#36 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

Good to see he's back to being a 4knt sh-tbox today - making way in the trades at 4.5 knots !!!!!

Also a new blog on Feb 12th, seeing freighter traffic into Rio.

#37 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'd love to give this guy a CA welcome!

#38 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

I agree with HB. We need to greet him on the water as he come up the bay.

#39 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

IB...we have several weeks to coordinate. May be time to de-winterize the C-42 about then, eh?

#40 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

IB...we have several weeks to coordinate. May be time to de-winterize the C-42 about then, eh?

Gotta get my ass in gear. After the lightening strike last year, I have to get the surveyor to look at the hull before I can do any work. He hasn't returned calls for several weeks (to be fair, he travels overseas a lot for insurance and building surveys). Once that is done, it's starch blast and bottom paint before I can get back in the water. The boats between me and the lift are commercial fishing boats so "should" go back in early for spring Rock season.

If it comes to it, the Crownline can be commissioned and launched in a day. I can haul it back out for paint touchup anytime. I just don't want to take it too far into the bay in more than 15 knots of wind. Been there in 20+ and that's not fun in a 23 foot bow rider :o

#41 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

Hobie Dog has a nice bowrider now too, and I know some other close friends that recently purchased a Markley 46 :rolleyes: - talk about cruising in style! B)

#42 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:42 AM

bump...Matt is really struggling, but it doesn't sound like he has any intentions of asking for help or assistance, etc.

Might have to sail south to meet him..is he doing this adventure without assistance? Are we 'allowed' to help?

the 'hard' part is out of the way..now he just has to sail thru paradise to get home!

#43 Jon Eisberg

Jon Eisberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

bump...Matt is really struggling, but it doesn't sound like he has any intentions of asking for help or assistance, etc.

Might have to sail south to meet him..is he doing this adventure without assistance? Are we 'allowed' to help?

the 'hard' part is out of the way..now he just has to sail thru paradise to get home!

I don't know, this one isn't over, by a long shot...

I'm reminded of Donna Lange's circumnavigation a few years ago, everyone thought after surviving that big blow on her approach to Cape Horn which capsized that guy from LA in an Endurance 44 (if memory serves), that she was home free...

Turned out the toughest weather she ever saw was near Bermuda, where she limped in with a lot of busted gear, after a real fright at sea...

I don't like the likely timing of Matt's arrival in that same part of the ocean, or anywhere in the area between Bermuda and Hatteras... Early spring can produce some VERY nasty stuff in that neighborhood...

I just hope he doesn't take some undue risk in an effort to maintain the "non-stop" aspect of the voyage... Wouldn't lessen the magnitude of what he's done one iota, IMHO, if it turns out he has to make a pit stop or two in order to bring her home... I'm still just blown away by what this kid has accomplished, in any event...

#44 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

I don't know, this one isn't over, by a long shot...

I'm reminded of Donna Lange's circumnavigation a few years ago, everyone thought after surviving that big blow on her approach to Cape Horn which capsized that guy from LA in an Endurance 44 (if memory serves), that she was home free...

Turned out the toughest weather she ever saw was near Bermuda, where she limped in with a lot of busted gear, after a real fright at sea...

I don't like the likely timing of Matt's arrival in that same part of the ocean, or anywhere in the area between Bermuda and Hatteras... Early spring can produce some VERY nasty stuff in that neighborhood...

I just hope he doesn't take some undue risk in an effort to maintain the "non-stop" aspect of the voyage... Wouldn't lessen the magnitude of what he's done one iota, IMHO, if it turns out he has to make a pit stop or two in order to bring her home... I'm still just blown away by what this kid has accomplished, in any event...

Jamaica. For a pot stop, he's overdue.

#45 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

He is allowed to accept help, as long as that help doesn't board his vessel. He doesn't need a pit stop, he needs a parts drop. He's capable of making all the necessary repairs.

We need to figure out a way to get him an electric bilge pump and some means of power generation. We could buy him some diesel fuel so that he can use his engine to charge the batteries, or we could chip in to get him a solar panel, or a case of McLube to keep his wind turbine running. Also, an inverter would be good, since he's on his last one.

The question is, where is the best and most likely rendezvous point?

#46 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Ajax..I think an electric bilge pump is a waste. A hand pump Whale gusher doesn't need batteries either. You can mount it anywhere in the boat & just attach hose to either end.
I agree a nice solar panel, maybe a bearing for his turbine & some oil with real lubricating ability would help, I bet the salty ocean has eaten up those bearings, but I am not a wind turbine expert.

Sounds like Matt & Ryan Breymaier need to get together & swap stories..:rolleyes:

#47 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Ajax..I think an electric bilge pump is a waste. A hand pump Whale gusher doesn't need batteries either. You can mount it anywhere in the boat & just attach hose to either end.
I agree a nice solar panel, maybe a bearing for his turbine & some oil with real lubricating ability would help, I bet the salty ocean has eaten up those bearings, but I am not a wind turbine expert.

Sounds like Matt & Ryan Breymaier need to get together & swap stories..:rolleyes:

I only suggested the electric bilge pump because I don't know if he has the tools onboard to cut the large hole required to mount a Whale pump. An electric pump is a drop-in replacement, and will only have to last about 2,000 miles. I hear you though, a Whale would be ideal.

#48 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Before we build the drop-bag parts list, shouldn't we locate a method of transportation out ? Perhaps a freighter leaving the US Eastern Seaboard headed for Rio might pass close enough for a drop. Air-Drop sounds expensive, unless someone has contacts in the Carib or SA w/a suitable aircraft.

#49 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

Before we build the drop-bag parts list, shouldn't we locate a method of transportation out ? Perhaps a freighter leaving the US Eastern Seaboard headed for Rio might pass close enough for a drop. Air-Drop sounds expensive, unless someone has contacts in the Carib or SA w/a suitable aircraft.

I was thinking of a vessel of some kind, but I have no idea how to arrange something like this.

#50 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

He's 600 miles off the coast, need one of those drug-smuggling go-fast boats :blink:

Posted Image

#51 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Ajax, There must be a guy, probably in the Annapolis area, who is updating his website, who you could talk to. You should see first if he wants any outside help. If he does there are two obviously places to organize it. The easier would be in a 'fly by' near any of the caribbean islands - you have time to organize that and get parts there and I am sure we could find a boat that would help transfer the parts. The harder but still possible would be the island of Fernando de noronha, right above the bulge of Brazil - that's much closer to him right now and might be more helpful and there are usually cruising boats around, and our ocean cruising clubs (SSCA and OCC) do have port officers in Brazil and they could be talked into helping, but the customs issues are a black hole and the parts might simply disappear never to be seen again.

Neither are too far off his track, but Fernando is a little further east than he really wants to go - would put him at a worse wind angle when he came across the equator. So the caribbean would be easiest/best all around. So long as he has sails and a wind vane working he can make the caribbean - except crossing the doldrums could be slow without any fuel/motor.

Regarding fuel - He will start seeing freighters if he is keeping any sort of watch and we did one have a freighter put some motor oil in 5gal jugs and drop it over the side for us. They were quite happy and pleased to help out. Assuming he still has a working VHF he could easily get 20 gals of diesel that way.

But you should find and talk to his shore contact first.

#52 Jon Eisberg

Jon Eisberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

Ajax, There must be a guy, probably in the Annapolis area, who is updating his website, who you could talk to.

I believe it was a guy named Simon Edwards who was responsible for getting to him the replacement watermaker as he went past Newfoundland...

Another Annapolis guy, associated with CRAB and the updating of Matt's venture, is named Tom Forhan... (not positive of that spelling, however) Tom's a good guy, will certainly field any request, and point you in the right direction...

#53 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

Estar, two or three posts ago, he reported his VHF was broken..that is when he woke up dreaming about Keira Knightly honking at him, but it was a ship that had come by to check on him. He indicated in that post that he was able to wave, but couldn't chat via VHF.

I have no doubt the guy will roll into Naptown successfully...we may just lose contact with him and not get a position report to cheer him on, as he heads up the Chesapeake, since there will be nothing but paper charts & sails & his hand on the tiller left that works...& hopefully his water maker. :unsure:

#54 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

I only suggested the electric bilge pump because I don't know if he has the tools onboard to cut the large hole required to mount a Whale pump. An electric pump is a drop-in replacement, and will only have to last about 2,000 miles. I hear you though, a Whale would be ideal.

A whale pump doesn't need to be permanantly mounted. Attach it to a piece of starboard big enough to hold down by stepping on it with one foor and it is an outstanding damage control pump. 5' intake hose drops into the bilge. 5' discharge hose over the rail and pump for your life.

#55 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

The website is now actively asking for donations to give Matt a re-supply drop off of Brazil. I'll be donating some money. I encourage my fellow Chesapeake Anarchists to kick in a little as well.

#56 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Please go for it ! In the amazing/unlikely chance they receive "extra donations" exceeding the cost of the drop, CRAB itself is a very worthwhile cause.

edit - PM'd Ed/Clean/Dawg to get this on the front page.... "Go the Matt" B)

#57 edelweis

edelweis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Seems the starter of his engine is broken, too.

#58 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the update ajax..I sent in some $$ earlier this week.
IB, that is exactly how my Gusher is set up. Fortunately I've never had to use it!

#59 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for the update ajax..I sent in some $$ earlier this week.
IB, that is exactly how my Gusher is set up. Fortunately I've never had to use it!

My manual pump (with a nice deep sump) is a gusher bulkhead mounted that I can pump from the helm. During commissioning each spring, I fill the bilge with fresh water and pump it out manually - just to "prove the system" and verify I haven't cracked a diaphram.

#60 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

IB, mine is up in the bow (next to the holding tank) on a piece of plywood...not mounted to anything...but i have 10 feet of hose on each end!

#61 stredwards

stredwards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Polar Exploration

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

IB, mine is up in the bow (next to the holding tank) on a piece of plywood...not mounted to anything...but i have 10 feet of hose on each end!

Yes, a parts drop is being arranged for Matt off Recife, Brazil. He has altered course already and I am hoping he can do the pick up in 4 days from today, then get back to it.
The boat is letting in about 25 gallons every day, so the bilge pump along with some repair epoxy will give some peace of mind and hopefully a rest from the constant bailing.
Just to avoid any confusion, matt isnt getting anything out of this trip, the sponsorship is less than minimal...any doubters should swing by Annapolis and take a look at the boat when he gets back, or at least look at whats left of it.
Im just a friend of Matts, nothing to do with Crab, but on his behalf, I thank you for your comments and your help already given..............

#62 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

I sent some money their way.
I'd fly an airdrop mission, but the gas to get to Brazil and back would be :o
Maybe around Hatteras we can go out and drop a present.

#63 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

Yes, a parts drop is being arranged for Matt off Recife, Brazil. He has altered course already and I am hoping he can do the pick up in 4 days from today, then get back to it.
The boat is letting in about 25 gallons every day, so the bilge pump along with some repair epoxy will give some peace of mind and hopefully a rest from the constant bailing.
Just to avoid any confusion, matt isnt getting anything out of this trip, the sponsorship is less than minimal...any doubters should swing by Annapolis and take a look at the boat when he gets back, or at least look at whats left of it.
Im just a friend of Matts, nothing to do with Crab, but on his behalf, I thank you for your comments and your help already given..............

Stredwards- What is the source of water ingress? Rudder post stuffing box? Leaky through hull?

#64 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

25 gallons/day.... :(

Someone call Marine-Tex.... seems like a good marketing opportunity !

"Matt was in a world of hurt on his final leg of a solo round-the-Americas voyage.... after surviving the NorthWest Passage and Cape Horn, Marine Tek air-dropped a case of our finest and made his return trip from the South Atlantic possible...."

#65 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

25 gallons a day? Holy crap!?!?!

#66 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

The website is now actively asking for donations to give Matt a re-supply drop off of Brazil. I'll be donating some money. I encourage my fellow Chesapeake Anarchists to kick in a little as well.

Done - thanks for raising awareness of this guy's goals!

#67 dew

dew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:SAILING, duh

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

At 25 gallons a day it sounds like it is time to get off that POS. This could get real ugly fast not that it could not have happen 100 times before. Just hate to see that double or go up by 10 gallons it will take all of his energy to keep up with that, much less keeping the boat moving and the 15 or 20 other things that are falling apart. Oh I forget there is also that eating and sleeping thing that takes up a few more hours a day.

Sorry to be the naysayer but life can get short. Matt has a lot of other adventures to look forward to.

dew

#68 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Matt looks to be about 40 miles offshore, and not much further to the resupply city of Recife - hopefully the pump & epoxy are ready !!!!

#69 Catalina 36

Catalina 36

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Go Matt. Made donations for the voyage and C.R.A.B.'s primary mission.

#70 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Keep the donations coming.

Beyond that, There are thousands of folks who are disabled and have no access to the water. Next time you plan a "booze cruise" or day sail, consider contacting your local agencies and offering to host someone for a day on the water. You will be a better person for it.

#71 Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

It's easy to donate at:

http://crabsailing.org/

I made my donation 'in honor of' Sailing Anarchy.

Here's hoping he has a really good objective think -in Recife- about the state of this boat (bulkheads and deck can't handle the rig load now, plus it's leaking like a sieve) - as against the remaining challenge, which would be significant. My guess is, if he goes ashore to take a pee and eat some hot food, when he gets back the boat will have sunk.
This has been a spectacular achievement on a shoestring already.

#72 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

I think that if he gets the parts he needs, he can restore the water tight integrity of the hull, generate power, and finish the journey.

#73 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

This guy needs an EPIC party at Davis's when he gets back.
We should make some cannonball sized brass-balls trophy B)

#74 DAK

DAK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

25 gallons a day... He's got a liferaft and epirb, right?

#75 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'll be there!

#76 Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

It is worth reading his last post about the state of his boat, and his (heroic) efforts to keep it afloat/functional.
Why is it leaking so much is a good question. Keel bolts? How much damage has all that salt water done over the time he's been struggling to keep the boat afloat?
Additionally, he describes bulkheads shifting when he changes tack. Deck stepped mast. Not good.
Lets hope he takes his time in assessing /repairing the boat before setting off on the last leg. It is worth considering the possibility that this boat is just no longer seaworthy.
What he's done is amazing already.
Completing the circumnavigation would be incredible. But (as Edmund Hillary said, famously) - getting home alive is more important.

#77 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

I'll be there!

+1

#78 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

Don't need Matt to have an EPIC party at Davis' !!!!

Another write-up... (not much new): http://www.proptalk....uments/matt.pdf

#79 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

REviewing Matt's progress, he may have picked up the drop last night ?!? Looks like he tacked/gybed and is now headed back offshore..... no updates on his website.

#80 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

In the coments section it looks like the resupply took place early this morning and he's back on the way.

#81 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

simon says: February 29, 2012 at 1:39 pm Talk about a kiss and ride…..20 minutes and on his way.
lm sure we will get am update soon.
Thank you ALL….

#82 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Bump as the blog was updated w/resupply info: http://www.solotheamericas.org/

#83 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

you know what..that is fucking awesome. B)

#84 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

Clean posted this on SA:

I am pretty busy right now with a lot of editing and video crap to deal with from 3 weeks in the caribbean, but if one of you guys who thinks so strongly that this should be on the front page wants to write a couple of paragraphs and find a couple of photos about it, send it to me and we'll run it. clean at sailinganarchy dot com

Also, please explain what CRAB has to do with it. I like the folks there, but am unsure of their connection to this effort. Thanks.

Otherwise, STFU.

Anyone want to take this on?

#85 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Clean posted this on SA:

I am pretty busy right now with a lot of editing and video crap to deal with from 3 weeks in the caribbean, but if one of you guys who thinks so strongly that this should be on the front page wants to write a couple of paragraphs and find a couple of photos about it, send it to me and we'll run it. clean at sailinganarchy dot com

Also, please explain what CRAB has to do with it. I like the folks there, but am unsure of their connection to this effort. Thanks.

Otherwise, STFU.

Would that be WLYDO PR Division, or WLYDO Priesthood?

It is after all for the Front Page, which we all know is a myth...

#86 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Clean posted this on SA:

Otherwise, STFU.

Hum... I can take a stab at it, but I'll basically be stealing from the CRAB and solotheamericas website. Don't I have to ask permission for that or something?

#87 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

Not if you explain in your own words the information you obtained there.

#88 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

Not if you explain in your own words the information you obtained there.

Avoid words like "grifter". B)

#89 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

Au contraire: including "grifter," "thugs," "white collar criminal," and "felonious" would make Clean feel right at home with the writing. Don't you know, without libel it's just fucking boring, and not the avant-garde school of journalism of which Clean is such an esteemed member.

Or, I think he's been called some kind of member, anyway.

Btw, over on the Sailing forum, he is getting impatient and snide about your slow results, Ajax.

#90 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

Ajax - I'll try to type something up tonight and PM you for feedback.

Cheers !

#91 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

where the fuck is Scot? Clean is busy fucking off in the Carib..don't bother him. Send something to Scot...none of those fuckers in San Diego really work anyway...I know...I've been on travel there a few times..

Where is the fucking editor? Can't he take 5 minutes to C & P something useful? :unsure:

#92 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

where the fuck is Scot? Clean is busy fucking off in the Carib..don't bother him. Send something to Scot...none of those fuckers in San Diego really work anyway...I know...I've been on travel there a few times..

Where is the fucking editor? Can't he take 5 minutes to C & P something useful? :unsure:

What do we need them for, anyway?

#93 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

The FP is quite arguably not so useful other than for producing the finances that support the forums; having the servers run the forums does wind up producing us a benefit, or if we don't think so, then why read and post.

#94 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Folks - this is what I contributed to Clean last night (cc'd Ajax):

Clean - here's my write-up for Matt Rutherford's solo around-the-Americas feat:

Ajax - hope you don't mind me sending this directly to Clean, but wanted to get it on the front page asap.

Thanks

===========================================================================
A Little Help From My Friends….

We’ve all been there… undertaking some voyage or journey, when after all the planned obstacles have been met and overcome, the last stretch throws curveball after curveball. This is the position Matt Rutherford finds himself now. A young pup, Matt raised funds and forged a partnership with Chesapeake Regional Accessible Boating (CRAB) to complete one of the last major records: Solo and non-stop “around the Americas” (http://www.solotheamericas.org/).

Matt left Annapolis in April of 2011 on a 27 ft Alvin-Vega sloop and headed north, then west ,through the Northwest passage. He then headed south around Cape Horn. Matt then found himself struggling off the coast of Brazil with an extremely leaky boat (taking on 25 gallons a DAY), a broken starter for his diesel, and dwindling AC power. A keen re-supply mission provided him the epoxy, but he could still use a little more help….. Please read about his voyage at SoloAroundThe World.org, and then consider a contribution to Chesapeake Regional Accessible Boating (crabsailing.org)

If this guy aint Anarchy, nothing is…. In the words of Matt: “FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS”

Picture at: http://www.solotheam...re/dscf3248.jpg

Hope I didn't screw it up too much.... There goes my chances at the Pulitzer................................:lol:

#95 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

It's great. Thanks for taking it on. The new job is sucking up more of my free time, so I wasn't able to jump on it right away.

#96 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Change AC to DC unless he got a generator I haven't hear about ;)

Ajax - hope you don't mind me sending this directly to Clean, but wanted to get it on the front page asap.

Thanks

We’ve all been there… undertaking some voyage or journey, when after all the planned obstacles have been met and overcome, the last stretch throws curveball after curveball. This is the position Matt Rutherford finds himself now. A young pup, Matt raised funds and forged a partnership with Chesapeake Regional Accessible Boating (CRAB) to complete one of the last major records: Solo and non-stop “around the Americas” (http://www.solotheamericas.org/).

Matt left Annapolis in April of 2011 on a 27 ft Alvin-Vega sloop and headed north, then west ,through the Northwest passage. He then headed south around Cape Horn. Matt then found himself struggling off the coast of Brazil with an extremely leaky boat (taking on 25 gallons a DAY), a broken starter for his diesel, and dwindling AC power. A keen re-supply mission provided him the epoxy, but he could still use a little more help….. Please read about his voyage at SoloAroundThe World.org, and then consider a contribution to Chesapeake Regional Accessible Boating (crabsailing.org)

If this guy aint Anarchy, nothing is…. In the words of Matt: “FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS”

Hope I didn't screw it up too much.... There goes my chances at the Pulitzer................................:lol:

#97 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Change AC to DC unless he got a generator I haven't hear about ;)

Thanks

We've all been there… undertaking some voyage or journey, when after all the planned obstacles have been met and overcome, the last stretch throws curveball after curveball. This is the position Matt Rutherford finds himself now. A young pup, Matt raised funds and forged a partnership with Chesapeake Regional Accessible Boating (CRAB) to complete one of the last major records: Solo and non-stop "around the Americas" (http://www.solotheamericas.org/).

If this guy aint Anarchy, nothing is…. In the words of Matt: "FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS"

It's an Albin Vega, not Alvin. Alvin is a chipmunk. ;)

#98 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the corrections..... yesterday was a long work day for this chipmunk/gerbil on that F-ing wheel.

Sending the corrected to Clean now via email

#99 IrieMon

IrieMon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

Ok folks - on the front page... may the flood-gates be open !!!! :lol:

#100 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:29 AM

yeah...except they pointed to the shitty thread on SA filled with DoRag's dribble. Nothing entertaining about that. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users