38 replies to this topic

#1 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

I've been trying to start a OD fleet here on the East coast but am having trouble getting people to commit. Some only want to race if its in their backyard. Others don't have crew or are worried about the cost. Some Merit owners don't even know this is going on. How do start up a fleet and attempt to have racing that the majority wants to participate in?

We're trying to keep the rules pretty basic, our thought is to include everyone at first, then work on tighter rules.
Somewhere central-ish so travel from the north or south would be reasonable.
Use of a hoist or group discount on a lift.

Any help to get more interest would be appreciated. There are a handful of owners that are interested now, and I know there are more boats out there that are raced, I'm just not sure how to get the word out.

#2 Tom R

Tom R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:01 AM

Our local club in the Hudson Valley has 5 Merits. Kingstonsailing.org
Ian Westergren- Commodore
John Stephenson- Race Committee Chair
You might shoot them some info and see if you get a nibble or two.

#3 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:16 AM

Merit - you have Carl's digits? I can get them for you if needed. He's a nice guy but likely an "only if it is in my backyard" type of guy. <_<

#4 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Question: how many of these so-called Merit 25s were built? I saw a pic with one having sail #208, were there that many? I think I saw it on Fishmeal's ancient site....maybe.

#5 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

HB, I have Carl's email and we're in planning mode for something on the Ches bay in 2012.
Tom, thanks for the contact!

#6 Dave

Dave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

Question: how many of these so-called Merit 25s were built? I saw a pic with one having sail #208, were there that many? I think I saw it on Fishmeal's ancient site....maybe.

I think there was closer to 800.

#7 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

I think there was closer to 800.

Holy smoke I had no idea there were that many. Thanks Dave.

M25, a bunch of years back one of the Mudheads started a thread here trying to track down all the Evelyn 32-2s...there were less than 60 built, so the task was somewhat easier. It eventually morphed into an owner's map that Hull #1 (think you may have raced on that boat ;-) is currently maintaining and a forum for owners. Map is at http://www.nbayracin.../Evelyn32-2.htm
One map is out of date...the new one is still a work in progress.

ANyway, my point is, with a little work and some rudimentary web authoring skills it would be possible to compile a list and centralize things around a class forum...would be a real boon for East Coast or just local, Mid-Atlantic, participation. With 800 or so boats out there, seems a shame not to have some level of communication established (class "site" seems dead after 2001).

Good luck and good on you for the effort!

#8 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

there's at least 3 or 4 here up on the Hudson. (Used to be a Merit 25 dealer in Kingston NY) so a few are around. I can get names and numbers if you want...

#9 egon

egon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Recursion, acronyms, and recursive acronyms.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

There's a Merit here at Raritan YC in Jersey that hasn't moved from it's morning in as long as I can remember.

When I worked at a local boat yard in '07, a Merit came in to be launched for it's new owner. We refused to step the mast and put it in the water because the chain plates started pulling through the deck. There were numerous other issues and we recommended junking the boat. Pretty sad to say, but the boat was unsafe.

--Matt

#10 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

there's at least 3 or 4 here up on the Hudson. (Used to be a Merit 25 dealer in Kingston NY) so a few are around. I can get names and numbers if you want...

That would be a huge help thanks. If you could shoot me a PM with the info whenever you get it, I'd appreciate it.

Tim, I'm sail number 764, the boat is a 1984 model. I think they went out of business in '87 or '88. They did make a good number of em over the course of 8-9 years. Too bad most are rotting away. I wouldn't mind taking over the Merit 25 site since it's less than an afterthought. I'd like to make it a bit more up to date, mostly text currently. However, I have no web skilz.

HB, what is the lift at SMSA rated to? Will it dunk a J24? ~3000 lbs?

#11 dew

dew

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:SAILING, duh

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

Hey buddy, I will do what I can to help with one down the street from me. Just my thought but Screwpile looks like one of your better bets to pull this off. There were 2 there last year, there is another in Hamptom, hell you know where they are all are. How many are in Annapolis being raced?

Dwight
https://sites.google.../middlepotomac/

#12 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

Annapolis has at least one, I think their are 2 above the bridge. Right now we have 9 on the bay that have expressed interest. At least 5 are definites, and if we can get a few out of town boats, we could have a decent start.

I'm not crazy about doing it at screwpile, usually hot, and this past year the breeze was wacky. I do like the central location on the bay that solomons provides. Facilities, dockage, bars, and such should make it a fun place. I'm aiming for something in the spring or fall for better weather.

#13 Kaptainkriz

Kaptainkriz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, duh!
    Tanzer 25 #28, Akoni
    Capri 30 #11, Rock Lobster (sold)
    http://www.tqci.net/~jkriz/Tanzer25.html

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

Is that Shadowfax that belongs to Dennis? Looks like there are 7 already registered in PHRF of the chesse.

Hey buddy, I will do what I can to help with one down the street from me. Just my thought but Screwpile looks like one of your better bets to pull this off. There were 2 there last year, there is another in Hamptom, hell you know where they are all are. How many are in Annapolis being raced?

Dwight
https://sites.google.com/site/middlepotomac/

#14 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

That would be Shadowfax. There are enough on the bay for a start, just need to get them all in the same place.

#15 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

These boats are trailerable, for cryin' out loud, it shouldn't be that hard to get a group of them together. I know you have a trailer for yours.

#16 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Annapo NOOD is in early May this year...4 thru 6th I believe. It would be cool to get a start there. The water will be cool at least. I remember one year a crewmember from a southern hemisphere J24 fell overboard while motoring out to the start, on a windy Sunday morning in late April. Reckon he had some 'splainin to do...they never gave us back our towel, either.

#17 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

NOODs would be great. Certainly would generate more interest if we get a start there.

Ajax, I do have a trailer, but some people are lazy, and like being a big fish in a small pond.

#18 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,829 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

NOODs would be great. Certainly would generate more interest if we get a start there.

Ajax, I do have a trailer, but some people are lazy, and like being a big fish in a small pond.

When is a Merit 25 a big fish in any pond?!

Think it's great what you are going for dude, excited to see you getting the interest up.

#19 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

The challenge, especially for folks located some distance from any event is cost. Not tryin' to diss the boat or any of its owners, but many folks racing a Merit 25 are doing so because its a (relatively) low budget affair. So trying to get them to spend the coin to travel, get lodging, pay bigger then normal entry fees, etc can be a challenge. While their are advantages to being tied into a bigger event like NOODs or even Screwpile, the logistical cost of those events may preclude many "typical" M25 guys from coming. I wonder if a rendevous-type weekend, at a location where there is easy/nearby camping, and its as much about just getting the boats together as it is about racing in a "regatta" wouldn't maybe be a better "get started" event. Just a thought. MIght be way off base.

As Doghouse says, what your doing is great, and I hope it works...

#20 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

When is a Merit 25 a big fish in any pond?!

haha, very true! I guess a better way to put it is that some do well in their local club, and don't want to seek out better competition. Might hurt the old ego, and we know how sensitive skipper's ego's can be. :P

The challenge, especially for folks located some distance from any event is cost. Not tryin' to diss the boat or any of its owners, but many folks racing a Merit 25 are doing so because its a (relatively) low budget affair. So trying to get them to spend the coin to travel, get lodging, pay bigger then normal entry fees, etc can be a challenge. While their are advantages to being tied into a bigger event like NOODs or even Screwpile, the logistical cost of those events may preclude many "typical" M25 guys from coming. I wonder if a rendevous-type weekend, at a location where there is easy/nearby camping, and its as much about just getting the boats together as it is about racing in a "regatta" wouldn't maybe be a better "get started" event. Just a thought. MIght be way off base.

Crash, that's a very good point. I'll run this by the "fleet" and see if that's the case. Thanks for the input.

#21 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

HB, what is the lift at SMSA rated to? Will it dunk a J24? ~3000 lbs?

Merit25 - At SMSA I think it is a 1 ton lift. Anarchist No Patience would know for sure since he is the small boat bitch..the real problem with the SMSA lift is it is too short for a 4' keel boat...you'd never get the boat & trailer the size of a Merit 25 under the lift & there is not 4' of water at the bulkhead. :( :(

Over at Calvert Marina, you could launch a J/22 (just barely) with the lift at the gas dock on the southwest point. Unfortunately, since our club stopped maintaining it, I would not put my own boat on it without some "testing". That might be a 2 ton lift. You could always 'wash out' some of the fill behind the bulkhead maybe to get a little more clearance!! :rolleyes:

#22 taylorsailor

taylorsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

M25 - I'll give 5 Merits their own start at the Northern Bay Regatta, June 23 & 24, 2012. You get a free slip and food on Saturday night - entry fee $70 to $80 bucks for 4 races. The racing is sponsored by Glenmar SA on Middle River. We have 1 Merit in our fleet already. Think about it.

#23 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:14 AM

HBm thanks, didn't realize the hoist was a one ton. Certainly don't want to drop any out of town boats, or stick them in the mud.

Taylor, I've been in touch with the Merit that sails out of GSA. I'm waiting to hear back from the 5 boats on the Hudson to see if they'll come down. If they're hard pressed to race on the northern bay then we'll have it there. Although after the boats have been broken down and in trailer mode, an extra hour or two of driving isn't a big deal. If they decide that they're scared of the bay sailors, then we'll probably have it in solomons. The goal is to get as many boats on the line as posible, and have a great time racing.

#24 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

Bump, looks like 2 more Merits from the Hudson are interested.

Taylorsailor, do you know if there is a hoist nearby to launch a 3k lbs boat that draws 4'?

#25 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Merit,

HB is correct the lift at SMSA is a one ton and no way would I attempt to launch a M25 with it. And as HB pointed out there just is not enough water at the bulkhead anyways. I believe that is why we did not go with a 2 ton. The water only allows for centerboard boats and small lift keel sport boats.

The lift at Calvert Marina is a two ton and there should be plenty of water at the bulkhead. You would have to contact them as I am not sure if they are maintaining the lift. The crane looks to still be in good condition so it probably would just need an inspection and a grease job.

Awesome what you are trying to do with your fleet! Best of luck in getting something going!

#26 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

Lifting 25 year old Merit 25s on their single point lift apparatus is a virtually guaranteed disaster in waiting.

Make certain every keel bolt is inspected. Make certain the coupling nuts are in absolute pristine and new condition. Know for 100% certain the metal rings used are actually rated for such use. Never lift with any apparatus such that teh lift on teh keel bolts is in any way other than 100% vertical.

Watch the bottom of the boat while lifting it. Most ONE YEAR OLD Merits nedded to have their sumps reinforced as the keels lifted six to ten inches upwards from their in water position when Merit 25s were lifted on their single point lifts.

Meits were generally supplied with trailers from the factory. Those 25 year old trailers, some single axle and some double axle, were minimally constructed and most have rusted to the point of "disaster waiting to happen."

The keel supprts have been known to fall off. The springs break,. The frames fold., The single straps foolishly used in compression to hold the hull supports bend when impacted with any significant force what so ever.

Some Merits had foam cores that continued to cure and blister and become flexible. Others ahd balsa cores that tended to rot or simply delaminate. Some were constructed with improperly wet out Coremat or a generic substitute.

I pretty much quit seeing Merits in my shop by the mid 1990s. By teh early 1990s, The 25 odd local Merits were almost universally beyond their service lives as racers. the hulls were soft. The keels were wagging. The trailers were folding and hurting boats and their owners.

Today you can probably buy three or four Merit 25s on lake travis with one $10,000 check.

I woulda advise against that purchase.

If you know of a friend with a Merit 22, make certain that owner checks teh keel's ifting system. Most wre attached tot eh top of teh keel only by an unreiforced hole in a foam cored thin skin construction.,

Yates had some great design ideas.

U nfortunatly, the majority of the Merit boats with which I have crossed paths have been maintenance nightmares.

#27 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

ulda advise against that purchase.

If you know of a friend with a Merit 22, make certain that owner checks teh keel's ifting system. Most wre attached tot eh top of teh keel only by an unreiforced hole in a foam cored thin skin construction.,

Snaggletooth, how come you know so much about Merits and what have you done with Gouvernail?

#28 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

Gov, so what was your question about the Merit again?

#29 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

You have to remember, The Gouv is down in Texas, isolated from areas where people actually TAKE CARE OF THEIR BOATS. ;)

Attached Files

#30 taylorsailor

taylorsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

Bump, looks like 2 more Merits from the Hudson are interested.

Taylorsailor, do you know if there is a hoist nearby to launch a 3k lbs boat that draws 4'?

I'll check on hoists in Middle River and let you know. We've got plenty of launch ramps!

#31 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

There's a couple 25's here on West River. if you generate a letter with your pitch, i'll forward it to them. you might get a group rate on the forklift launch next to Pirates Cove in Galesville at West River Yacht Harbor.. I doubt if either Hartge yard would discount the air that gets breathed on their premisis.

#32 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Annapolis has at least one, I think their are 2 above the bridge. Right now we have 9 on the bay that have expressed interest. At least 5 are definites, and if we can get a few out of town boats, we could have a decent start.

I'm not crazy about doing it at screwpile, usually hot, and this past year the breeze was wacky. I do like the central location on the bay that solomons provides. Facilities, dockage, bars, and such should make it a fun place. I'm aiming for something in the spring or fall for better weather.

you might consider the Black Seal Cup too - they have a lift they use to launch a fleet of hobie 33's, so the merit shouldn't be a problem. They're pretty good about dockage for the weekend as well. Last time I was down there I got a hotel room pretty cheap for the whole crew within walking distance of the club. Get enough of them and they'll give you an OD start - they were willing to give the Elliotts one with just 5 boats.

#33 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

Black seal cup as in Southern bay race week? That is an option but I'm not sure if boats will go that far south.

Bump, I'll get you something by the end of this weekend to forward. Thanks a bunch.

#34 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

We have 4 definites for SBRW right now. Just need one more to get a start.

#35 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,294 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

We have 4 definites for SBRW right now. Just need one more to get a start.

Sounds promising! Are people trailering or sailing down?

#36 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

Well, I'll be sailing down. I think 2 others will be trailering, one is local.
Just need to work out where to keep the boat for a couple weeks after, as I'm headed to Bermuda again right after SBRW.

#37 Flying Fish

Flying Fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:the next boat

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hey Taylor sailer - In Middle River the Maryland Marina will lift boats off a trailer with a hoist or fork truck as long as they draw less than 4 1/2 feet. Not sure what a Merit 25 draws but would guess about 4.2
For those of you not familiar with racing in Northern Bay it is great sailing with true bay sailing, not river.
Good party, cheap entry

#38 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Merit 25 OD meeting in Solomons MD on March 24th at 1200. Bring significant others, and your race schedule. We'll be discussing which races to participate in over the course of the season.

#39 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

I thought your fell out of OD configuration to optimize for PHRF racing.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users