It's official, Mele makani is now ours...

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

This boat: http://melemakani.com/ is now titled and registered to Baggett and Sons and is coming to the shop for refit. we will finish the job the owner and offer her. These are the particulars:

Posted Image

Boat info

Name: Mele Makani
owner/title holder: Baggett and Sons Marine Restoration
design: "Tradition"
designed: 1958
built:1964
designer: Halsey Herreshoff/Sid Herreshoff (son/father)
builder: Malorrca Yacht company Peurto Polensa
Trans Pac racer/cruiser
Owner: Cy Gillette
Hawaiain series title holder 65-68
Trans Pac: raced 67.69
Tahiti race 68
LOA: 43` (Length over all, on deck)
LWL 30` (length at water line)
beam: 11`8" (width)
draft: (depth) 5`5" centreboard down 10`
keel: 3/4 swept
ballast:cast iron
Hull:
11/4" thick African mahogany carvel plank with monel X straps throughout
Shear strake: 2"x12" by boat length single slap of African mahogany (bullet proof!)
2"x2" teak frames on 10" centres (four have new white oak laminate sisters fastened with Everdur silicon bronze #14 screw fastened hull
floors: 2"x2" white oak, silicon bronze 3/8" bolted
11/2" thick fiberglass covered mahogany marine ply deck
Cabin coach house: Made from single pieces of 1 1/2" thick teak planks, giant dovetailed corners. (Stunning craftsmanship!)
cabin interior: all teak
Force Ten cabin heater
Force Ten gimbled 3 burner propane stove with oven
Fully rebuilt Wilcox Crittendon Skipper head
Tankage
All stainless powder coated tanks:
4 water tanks total cap. 96 gallons
2 fuel tanks, total cap. 80 gallons
Gray water tank 15 gallon cap

2 fridges, one in the cockpit and one in the cabin, run from a standard 12V rotary compressor/evaporator system
2 74w Siemens solar panels
8` Zodiac inflatable with 8hp Tohatsu short shaft engine
11` W x 8` L drogue/sea anchor
fiberglass 8` hard chine dingy with sail and dagger board
Danforth cockpit compass on Edson Binnicle
Steering: Edson 42" Helm wheel/quadrant cable
Monitor windvane auto pilot steering with emergency rudder
300` anchor rode
300` hurricane rode
RULE 2000 GPH bilge pump (#1 on system)
Danforth cabin mount compass ( nav table mounting)
Danforth cabin mount compass (V Berth)
4 gumby rescue suits
2 emergency ditch bag gumby suits
4 60Lt dry bags
Icom hand held VHF radio
GlobeStar Sat phone in clam shell case

Masts
Main: 52` Aluminum
Main boom: 23` Aluminum
Mizzen: 25` box laminate Sitka spruce
Mizzen boom: 13` Sitka spruce

Sails
Dacron jibs- storm, 100, 120, 130, 150
1x Kevlar A symetrical blooper
1x Spinnaker
2x main sail
3 x mizzen

New
new beds and foam
new cockpit USCG approved floatation foam cushions
new upholstery
new Yanmar Jh32e 3cyl diesel with 1 1/4" stainless prop shaft
New PSS dripless packing gland
New Raymarine integrated nav station: RADAR, GPS, with multifunction readout depth sounder, wind speed, wind direction , with dual display - cock pit and cabin
New Icom M700 Pro SSB radio with Icom AT140 SSB tuner
New Horizon VHF with AIS integrated
New C.A.R.D. collision avoidance system
New ACR 406 GPS EPIRB
New AVON 6 man capsule life raft
New Weems and Plath nav set
New Weems and Plath cabin instruments, clock and barometer
New Weems and Plath small dia cabin instruments for V berth
New all hoses and plumbing
New switches and wiring throughout
New self feathering Kiwi prop with two replacement flukes
New Magnum 2000w inverter/charger battery controller
New house battery bank of 4x deep cycle 6V series parallel
New 1 high amp 30H Engine bank battery
New 450w wind gen set with solar/wind charge controller
New 45kg CQR anchor
New 35kg CQR anchor
New 300 galvanized anchor chain
New 10kg Danforth anchor
New 3/8" spectra pendant cable
New 1/2" thick Acrallite port windows
New 1/4" thick Acrallite interior port windows
All new silicon bronze through hulls and sea cocks
New Engine gauges and display panel
New Meranti marine ply centre board with 50kg ballast
New 600` 1/2" low stretch double braid New England line
New jabsco gray water pump
New Jabsco pressure tank
New jabsco water system pressure pump
New RULE 3700 GPH bilge pump (#3 on system as back up pump)
New RULE 2000 GPH bilge pump (#2 on system)
New gas/fuel leak detector system
New 2 man over board life rings
New 4 Mustang automatic PFDs

We will be going down South to pull the sticks and prep her for transport. I anitcipate having her done and in the water by March 2012.

#2 TjOregon

TjOregon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Sailing is Life

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:25 PM

Outstanding! That will be a great job. I look forward to the updates. We are restoring an 28ft L. Francis Herreshoff at the shop I work at. The Herreshoff guys knew what they were doing.

#3 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

Yeah, sadly, i watched an H-28 get cut up in our yard before I had the wherewithal to intercede...

#4 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:57 AM

Wow, Cy's old boat ! We lost Cy a couple years ago, was a prominent figure in American sailing, judged several America's Cups, but his son and grandson are still active racers, I'll mention this when I see them.

Good on you for saving her.

#5 TjOregon

TjOregon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Sailing is Life

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:08 AM

Hey Charlie,

Its not an H-28. She is a knockabout sloop he designed for a man in Maine. Only one built (except a full keel version with a small teak house built in the 50's). In the 80's they were replicated in glass and called "Stuart Knockabouts."

Attached Files

#6 UniGor

UniGor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

I didn't read much past LOA 43' & LWL 30'.

Fucking stunning.

How much saving does she need?

#7 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

Just the engine install, some centerboard work, paint and varnish. The PO did most of the work already.

#8 Cherie320

Cherie320

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:30 AM

She is going to be a very nice addition to the resume. Wonderful you are bringing her back.

#9 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

Bueno Charlie, Bueno!

Is this the same PO that she had while she was under water ?

#10 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

Congratulations Charlie!

Looking forward to following your progress on these pages!

#11 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

Bueno Charlie, Bueno!

Is this the same PO that she had while she was under water ?

Yes it is.

#12 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

Charlkie:
I can't tell from that pic but is this boat a double ender? It sure is a great looking boat. I need to come and visit it.

#13 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

Bob, no, she isn't. I hope to have her up here within the next three weeks. If ya check out http://melemakani.com/ you can see many shots of her, including one of her stern during the build.

#14 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

I sailed on Meli in the early 70s.

My parents lived in Honolulu and the owner at the time was a personal friend (don't recall his name just now).

We did a New Year's cruise from Waikiki YC to Poki Bay. Got some pics somewhere.

My Dad raced on the boat quite a bit - worked a deal w/ the owner to crew on each other's boats for different races.

#15 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

That would've been Cy Gillette...

#16 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

That would've been Cy Gillette...

Cy had sold the boat by the time I sailed on her - the owner at the time was Dick Colvin. It was probably 72 or 73. We sailed to Poki for an overnighter to get away from the craziness that surrounded the New Year's celebration in the streets of Waikiki. Thought the little fishing harbor would be a firecracker-free zone. Didn't work.

I sailed the 67 Transpac on another boat when Meli raced and was owned by Cy at that time.

Dick also sailed the boat with his kids on a distance trip to Australia or somewhere in that area after a painful divorce.

#17 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

Nice to hear from somebody who actually sailed on her. What did ya think of her?

#18 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

Nice to hear from somebody who actually sailed on her. What did ya think of her?

Was a great boat. Very comfortable, easy to sail and fairly fast for her day.

Our little trip included 6 or 7 people and a dog if I recall correctly. We had no living space issues. I liked the way the side windows were able to tilt open (hinged along the bottom) and then be wedged closed to form a tight seal when things got wet.

Was a very easy run from Waikiki to Poki in mild conditions but a bit of a true Molokai gear buster on the way home. We probably had 25+ going upwind into the swell and had one hell of a good sail. Long tacks offshore and then back in. The boat seemed to love all conditions. Always felt in control and handling was no sweat.

Glad she's in good hands.

Would be interesting to trace my Dad's boat down and see what sort of condition she's in now (hope she's still sailing). Was a Phil Rhodes Windward 34. Sort of a Rhodes 33 with creature comforts. Only 13 built - my Dad's Night Wind was #13 - and all originally sailed on S.F. Bay. Last I knew she went to the Boy Scouts in Hawaii.

#19 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

tizak, thanks for the insights.

Cy owned & raced several other big boats, Silversword, Martigre, & Siren.

That would be probably be Pokai bay you went to - around Barber's Point, the small protected anchorage near the (now) Waianae Small boat harbor on the west side.

The trip back to town is nearly always rough, but the fast way to go is short-tacking up the beach from Ewa to Honolulu if there is anything like a good breeze.

Don't know of Night Wind.

#20 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

That would be probably be Pokai bay you went to - around Barber's Point, the small protected anchorage near the (now) Waianae Small boat harbor on the west side.

The trip back to town is nearly always rough, but the fast way to go is short-tacking up the beach from Ewa to Honolulu if there is anything like a good breeze.

Appreciate the clarifications - I do recall what seemed like several long tacks away from the beach. Somewhat easy to remember as my wife was green with seasickness and begging for the trip to end (maybe the tacks and trip seemed longer that they really were). I had a blast and could've gone on much longer.

I think a boat from here in Santa Barbara became Silversword - a friend sailed on her. Something like a 50-60 ft. Morgan sloop or similar? (Maybe it was the other way around. Memories can be tricky.)

I've done a little research on the Windwards and Night Wind in particular but haven't found much. Not sure I want to know. We raced the boat on the Bay from about 1959 until I went into the army in late 67. My Dad was transferred to Hawaii in the early 70s and had the boat brought over. He raced her actively there for many years out of WYC - had a very handy inside slip right off the bar. Jump off the boat, grab a drink, head to the pool for a dip then back to the boat to clean up and fold sails. Good times.

#21 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

Oh, I'm not saying I haven't done far too many long boards out to sea on Port tack, just that I've usually gotten beat doing so.

Yes, Slversword is a 50-something Morgan, I believe, with big ol' 'coffee grinders' on deck - it was already inactive when I started sailing out of the WYC in '86.

Your arrival drill endures to this day, I asure you.

#22 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

Oh, I'm not saying I haven't done far too many long boards out to sea on Port tack, just that I've usually gotten beat doing so.

Yes, Slversword is a 50-something Morgan, I believe, with big ol' 'coffee grinders' on deck - it was already inactive when I started sailing out of the WYC in '86.

Your arrival drill endures to this day, I asure you.

Wish we had that routine here at SBYC. Wouldn't mind a bit more of your weather as well (not to mention the sea temp). My Dad was commodore at WYC back in the 80s - I've wanted to get back out there for several years now to see if his pic is still on the wall and check on the trophy I set up in his name. It was the Rising Stars Trophy and was to be awarded to the top high school sailor in the Islands each year

#23 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

Clarification: Silversword was a Morgan 54. Martigre was owned by Thomas, not Gillette (Ranger 32). Siren was Cy's Ranger 37. His last keelboat was the Wylie designed Hawkfarm class boat 'KA IO'.

#24 PHM

PHM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

Silversword...brings back memories. Our good family friend and ex-neighbor Bob Hogan used to be a regular on Silversword and with his daughter Shari delivered her to the mainland for transpac in the early '70s. Maybe '73? All the associated activity and get-togethers around Silversword and the Hogans that year had a big impact on me and my sailing aspirations (I was 14). For those who may know Bob from the old days (a true waterman if ever there was one), he and Carol now live in Bellingham. They still have their 50' boat Discovery that Bob built from a bare hull (Maybe A Passport hull??), and which my Dad helped Bob deliver from the Big Island about 10 years ago. The Hogans are the ones who got my Dad (and therefore me) into sailing back in the early '60s.

#25 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

IIRC Cy had a Newport 41 (can't think of the name) in the early 70's when we were there.

We made several trips to Pokai Bay in our Cal 20. As you say, a nice run down the coast then the slog upwind back towards Honolulu. We used to pick-up KFC at the store located where you turn to go to the beach park and take the small boat to play with around the bay.

Cool to see you get a neat boat and all the best in finishing her up.

#26 altered ego

altered ego

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

IIRC Cy had a Newport 41 (can't think of the name) in the early 70's when we were there.

We made several trips to Pokai Bay in our Cal 20. As you say, a nice run down the coast then the slog upwind back towards Honolulu. We used to pick-up KFC at the store located where you turn to go to the beach park and take the small boat to play with around the bay.

Cool to see you get a neat boat and all the best in finishing her up.

That Newport 41 was Richocet and was owned by one of Cy's friendly rival's Pete Curran. Got to ride home from Race Week on her back in 1980. I got a chance as a snot nosed 16yo, to run the bow on Silversword at the Lahina offshores once. The jaws at the end of that spinn pole seemed more like a bear trap!. Man I miss those days.

Attached Files

#27 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

Appreciate the clarifications - I do recall what seemed like several long tacks away from the beach. Somewhat easy to remember as my wife was green with seasickness and begging for the trip to end (maybe the tacks and trip seemed longer that they really were). I had a blast and could've gone on much longer.

I think a boat from here in Santa Barbara became Silversword - a friend sailed on her. Something like a 50-60 ft. Morgan sloop or similar? (Maybe it was the other way around. Memories can be tricky.)

I've done a little research on the Windwards and Night Wind in particular but haven't found much. Not sure I want to know. We raced the boat on the Bay from about 1959 until I went into the army in late 67. My Dad was transferred to Hawaii in the early 70s and had the boat brought over. He raced her actively there for many years out of WYC - had a very handy inside slip right off the bar. Jump off the boat, grab a drink, head to the pool for a dip then back to the boat to clean up and fold sails. Good times.

My dad owned a Windward 34 from 1971 or so until 1975 / 76. Much of that time spent in getting it back to something that approximated bristol.

He kept it in Richmond and we cruised it around the Bay and up into the Delta. The boat's name was Sirrocco, and I can't remember if it came with that name or it was renamed when he bought it. He sold it when we moved back east in 1975 / 76.

That was the boat I learned how to sail on, and I would love to know what happened to her. My head says that it has to have been turned into dumpster fill a long time ago, but my heart hopes she lives on. I would love to hear any other details you know about the Windwards.

#28 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

This boat: http://melemakani.com/ is now titled and registered to Baggett and Sons and is coming to the shop for refit. we will finish the job the owner and offer her. These are the particulars:

Posted Image
Ne

We will be going down South to pull the sticks and prep her for transport. I anitcipate having her done and in the water by March 2012.

Charlie. Congratulations.

I remember how you acted as coordinator of effort to help the PO when she sank at her dock. You clearly fell in love with the boat and now you get the labor of love to finish her restoration. Its a great story of how good things come around to good people.

Keep us posted. Somehow, I think this ship is going to join the SA hall of fame.

#29 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:09 AM

That Newport 41 was Richocet and was owned by one of Cy's friendly rival's Pete Curran. Got to ride home from Race Week on her back in 1980. I got a chance as a snot nosed 16yo, to run the bow on Silversword at the Lahina offshores once. The jaws at the end of that spinn pole seemed more like a bear trap!. Man I miss those days.

Richocet, yes.

I thought that was Cy's boat, but being only 10-11yo at the time I could have been confused. :huh:

Anyway, remember he and the Newport from the time we were there. Thanks for the correction.

#30 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

My dad owned a Windward 34 from 1971 or so until 1975 / 76. Much of that time spent in getting it back to something that approximated bristol.

He kept it in Richmond and we cruised it around the Bay and up into the Delta. The boat's name was Sirrocco, and I can't remember if it came with that name or it was renamed when he bought it. He sold it when we moved back east in 1975 / 76.

That was the boat I learned how to sail on, and I would love to know what happened to her. My head says that it has to have been turned into dumpster fill a long time ago, but my heart hopes she lives on. I would love to hear any other details you know about the Windwards.

Pretty sure Sirrocco was the boat's original name - I remember racing against her. The hot boat at the time was named Kahoolawe I think.

They were great racer / cruisers in their day. My knowledge was that there were 13 built but there was also a rumor of a 14th partially organized in a sort of kit form somewhere in the Bay Area.

I have the blueprints for the boats around here somewhere.

A couple years ago was helping a friend get his 105 set-up for Big Boat at KKMI, looked at a neighboring yard and saw a Windward sitting on the ways. Looked complete but was in very rough shape. If anyone interested were in the area it might be worth checking out - been meaning to get back to take a look but haven't made it yet.

I think the oddest Windward on the Bay in the 50s - 60s was one that had been built for a married couple who were dwarfs. The interior had been created to fit their short stature - very deep bilges and very low overhead (at least for most of us).

#31 tizak

tizak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image
Ne

Charlie. Congratulations.

I remember how you acted as coordinator of effort to help the PO when she sank at her dock. You clearly fell in love with the boat and now you get the labor of love to finish her restoration. Its a great story of how good things come around to good people.

Keep us posted. Somehow, I think this ship is going to join the SA hall of fame.

Sank - wow. Any details?? My Mom would be interested to hear - she and my Dad spent a lot of time on Mele with the Colvin family in Hawaii.

#32 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

She went down in Feb '09 during those nasty rains in the Sacremento area, power failure and heavy rain. We got her floating in less than a week, brackish water. The owner spent the last few years cleaning, fixing, refastening etc.. We will finish the restoration and put her up on the market. PM me for further details as I'm considering letting someone in now for a reduced price and more input in the final finish, just to our hedge bets.

#33 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

Pretty sure Sirrocco was the boat's original name - I remember racing against her. The hot boat at the time was named Kahoolawe I think.

They were great racer / cruisers in their day. My knowledge was that there were 13 built but there was also a rumor of a 14th partially organized in a sort of kit form somewhere in the Bay Area.

I have the blueprints for the boats around here somewhere.

A couple years ago was helping a friend get his 105 set-up for Big Boat at KKMI, looked at a neighboring yard and saw a Windward sitting on the ways. Looked complete but was in very rough shape. If anyone interested were in the area it might be worth checking out - been meaning to get back to take a look but haven't made it yet.

I think the oddest Windward on the Bay in the 50s - 60s was one that had been built for a married couple who were dwarfs. The interior had been created to fit their short stature - very deep bilges and very low overhead (at least for most of us).

What great information about the Windwards. Thanks for that - one of my fondest memories of childhood.

#34 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,562 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

...charlie,,you first heard of the boat's perils here(?),,got envolved with it,,,fell in 'love',,,,,now bought it,,,,posted,,,,within 2 days heard stories from someone who sailed her,,,probably will sell her here,,IF you can let-er go!!!

..MANN,I LOVE SA!!!

#35 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

If I can get her here. Both of the money guys back out AFTER I had the boat titled in our name. Now I have this boat down there, costing money...

:rolleyes:

#36 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,562 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

If I can get her here. Both of the money guys back out AFTER I had the boat titled in our name. Now I have this boat down there, costing money... :rolleyes:

...so it's got a new engine listed,,not installed yet??

...those money guys are always a problem!,,,always wanting MORE!!(?)
......tell them to behave ;)

..can you do the work where it's at?...seems like a rather shorter list than you usually have :)

#37 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, new Yanmar not yet in the boat. Too far away from my shop and tools. I'm working on getting her here...

#38 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:23 AM

If I can get her here. Both of the money guys back out AFTER I had the boat titled in our name. Now I have this boat down there, costing money...

:rolleyes:

Oy !

Where's she at ?

#39 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

Napa Marina...

#40 Fifty Fifty

Fifty Fifty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:12 metre sailing

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

I understand that 0n Thursday (6 Dec) she scheduled to be cut up.

That would be very tragic.

#41 Fifty Fifty

Fifty Fifty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:12 metre sailing

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

How much does the yard want for her?

PM Me.

#42 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Have to admit I read the name as Male Mankini, and I was wondering who would call a boat that.

Posted Image.

I'll get my coat.

#43 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

It's a private owner now. He had an Ebay auction going but I don't think she sold.

#44 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Talked to the owner last night. He really doesn't want to cut her up and now is up to date with the yard fees. He is hoping to get someone to come and be a white knight here.

I checked her out over the weekend in the rain no less. She is in good shape considering. nice frames and solid keel. I can see three planks replaced, centerboard fabricated, recaulking and a new rudder fabricated. I think she could be floating in a month and sailing in 6. She needs a new motor, some decking around the stern and the forward cabin pulled off, scarfed and put back. once done you got port lights, electrical, winches and the usual refitting stuff. 20k is conservative if you do the work yourself and buy used. +40k to have someone local do it.

#45 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

She would've been refitted last year had some douche not stolen all of her hardware and the engine. Hard to sell a package with the gear missing. Hence her current predicament. The boat itself is in good shape. Just needs finished out.

#46 poundsterling

poundsterling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

Question to the forum: how much would it cost (1) to get a cradle made for Mele Makani, (2) lifted and trucked to the nearest sea port.

#47 Drop Bear.

Drop Bear.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Interests:none.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Custom cradles aren't expensive.

In what is usually referred to by the masses as "rip off Britain" my cradle cost 1900+vat.

For a 12.5m boat, so similar size.

You might want custom poppets as well. Which is not included in the above price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users