12 replies to this topic

#1 jaymac

jaymac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

I raced with Phil on Tiger Shark as Panthera'a mast would not tune up after black painting, (THE SPEADER CAPS WERE TOO TIGHT). I called the start but looked pretty stupid when 6 boats rolled over the top of us. It was not untill the downwind when someone said they heard gurgling that the reason evolved....the bloody motor was still down....the second time Phil has screwed up a race for this reason. How many other people have done this?

It crossed my mind that if a limit switch is installed on the engine slide, it could interrupt the 12 volt supply to the air blower in such a way that when the engine is down it comes on automatically but switches the noisy fan off when the engine is retracted correctly.

The blower can be left switched on, with a bit of tape over the switch, and you would never get the problem of the motor stalling for lack of air at a dangerous moment either.

It is a stupid way to blow a race...anybody got a better idea...(I have, no engine at all!)

#2 Phil

Phil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

NB; It wasn't me!

Then again J, let him keep the motor down, that way he'll be no trouble!

#3 lar015

lar015

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've used my engine as a fibre glass choping machine. Either I fail to fully lower the engine or I just attempt to turn it on while it's being lowered, or raised for that matter. I'm getting pretty good at fibre glass fabrication and engine door retro fitting! The problem is there is just no compensation for stupidity! I'm old and I'm forgetful! ....but I am getting much better at fibre glass repair!

#4 owlslick

owlslick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

try using daylight, it is amazing what it can do... :rolleyes:

#5 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

I remember my first time sailing a Tiger Posted Image

#6 Lets Get It On

Lets Get It On

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

What usually works for us is when the main goes up so does the motor. If the motor is found to be down when the main is up someone has a long swim and walk home!

#7 extrad

extrad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:06 AM

Boat speed (or lack thereof) is normally a pretty good indicator. Surely you have some idea of what boat speed should be for a given TWS/TWA. Leaving the motor down equates to about a 2kn loss of speed upwind - indicated 5.5 versus normal 7.5 in TWS 12+.

#8 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:58 AM

what about an open closed sign off a shop door, mounted on the engine hatch
flip when engine is down
seriously though if you installed a large bung (hand access type) with a clear lid you could see if it was up or even better a window

the cheapest solution is to get every crew member to make a point of asking the skipper every race, which I'm pretty sure will happen for the next few at least ! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

I have left the motor down in two twilights this year it's part of our handicap management program nothing to do with me getting old and senile. Actually it costs about 1 kt upwind and half a knot off the breeze and that's with our patented Robert Hick door retracting box bolted onto the cab plate

#10 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,220 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

what about no remote "off" switch

you have to open the hatch to switch off

this of course depends on one having the presence of mind to lift the engine when you stop it?

jaymac have you considered sailing off the dock

#11 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

You are lucky the door did not come off and become a permenent sea anchor. I think ED did that once...

#12 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

Once did a guest appearance on a Tiger. It was only a short while after we left the mooring the skipper realised the helm wasn't responding. Mainly due to the rudder being down... below comfortably tucked up in it's fitted bag...

#13 owlslick

owlslick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

Once did a guest appearance on a Tiger. It was only a short while after we left the mooring the skipper realised the helm wasn't responding. Mainly due to the rudder being down... below comfortably tucked up in it's fitted bag...

that has to be the one best yet.... lmao.... it is amazing how easily the head fits where it don't shine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users