Leech 6.5

• Please log in to reply
848 replies to this topic

#401 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, motorcycles, all things marine.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

The stress and frustration of not being able to progress the build as we could not get panels as wanted , finally got boat in water for a wooz extremely light B2B, a bloody virus that was determined to kill me tried hard for a month, the 1st real test over the weekend so frustrating to end on an incredible high. I feel I have a great set of sails, the code 0 is amazing I am too old for this bullshit and would like to be at tweeking stage not major adjustments to get where I finished yesterday.
The Noosa creek is no place to try to tune a boat, no water and no true wind, If I did not live here I would never considered the dumb things I have done to my boat to use it in our creek . That said it is a wonderful place to have a riverfront home, a great friendly well supported race fleet, mostly Blazer 23 that suit the shallow water. I own one apart from my fantastic spider 22 Bobsled which is for sale for peanuts.
I can have the boat at Southport inshore club early Sat morning as will go down Fri. will stay for weekend and go home monday. It is no good bringing my crew we know bugger all. Damian may be interested, and others, so the deal is can some of you guys and girls find the time and have the experience to help tune my rig would like to sail my boat over weekend, Grahame I think now has his new mast same as mine, our sails are identical, it may be possible to match race, I am pretty laid back and dont mind letting other people skipper my boat. I will contact Grahame and try to organise the 2 boats on water if his rig is done.
So who is willing to put their hand up?

#402 Windward Mark

Windward Mark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Pay for my flights from Sydney and I will be there!!! :lol:

#403 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Pay for my flights from Sydney and I will be there!!! :lol:

I'd take him up on that Bob!!

#404 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

Grahame is on the case he will have my boat up to speed Saturday evening, Has arranged 2 very competent sailors for crew, will be a great weekend.
I mentioned the problems I had with mast bend on Saturday and I had used Grahams settings, this could be taken in a different context than intended. At no time has Grahame had any input into my rig other than to make me a great set of clothes, At the B2B his crew told me how they set their rig up, our masts were different but I thought was a good place to start.
This weekend will put closure to the build , no more worries, everything done ready to go racing.

#405 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Grahame is on the case he will have my boat up to speed Saturday evening, Has arranged 2 very competent sailors for crew, will be a great weekend.
I mentioned the problems I had with mast bend on Saturday and I had used Grahams settings, this could be taken in a different context than intended. At no time has Grahame had any input into my rig other than to make me a great set of clothes, At the B2B his crew told me how they set their rig up, our masts were different but I thought was a good place to start.
This weekend will put closure to the build , no more worries, everything done ready to go racing.

Got our SMS certificate today was a mistake in draft and will be replaced with 794. I did not know the exact SMS weight but was 509kg. considering bare hull and CB was 395kg it has a lot of extra stuff.

#406 maxx

maxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Fair racing

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

Are you called Turkey Slapper because you like the feeling of a set of balls on your chin? and Hairy M? I'm to frightened to ask. :rolleyes: :P

The more I learn about the SMS system and officials involved the more impressed I become. I thought I had been treated a little favorably because I have added more gear than would be normal, and somehow scored well. After sailing the boat, you could say for 1st time on weekend, I believe my assumptions of sailing 3 up unless a down hill race like B2B would only work in light airs. I feel the handicap given is fair and my expectations of the boat performance was over optimistic. My experience is in performance TS fleet, this is a hole new ball game, and have a lot to learn.
I guess this is the 1st real road test of a L650. The end is better than start. Tim Virco was good as his word and turned up at TCBay with Waka Shaw 650 which was very good of him to help me. I believe he is current Au or Qld Champ. Was short 1 crew and broke part of his tiller extension off just after start. 15k with gusts from east, beat to shy reach to Inskip about 7miles and similar against tide back. No kites.

Our main was the worst set I have ever seen, backwinded, top above jib pulled to windward, vertical wrinkles, flat as a board, impossible to get slightest twist, to ease vang ( these were Grahams settings) turned into a wobble board. There was not even a slight drive off leach. Wacka had a corker of a set , beautiful twist, boom midships 1 guy on trapeze had boat flat and see you later. We got down a bit further and were able to foot off slightly and in desperation put up code 0, it should not have set , did flog at tlmes but what a sail. We started to haul waka in, but without a main we could not plane most of the time , and now and then wacka would plane and gain a bit back. It was around this time I realised some idiot did not tighten the batterns( me) nothing we could do. without the code 0 we would have lost sight of waka. After 2 hours we were 4 minutes behind, Tim is a nice guy I feel he started being kind to us.
Next day they cancelled the race as a gale warning, was still similar conditions tightened battens main was slightly better, not back winding as much but impossible to get any form of twist, no drive heap of garbage. Went back to jetty to think and do, but what. We had quite a bit of mast bend but decided we needed a big increase. Got Loose gauge out ( later dropped in creek. another $220) and rig so tight could not increase load on masthead stays, so pulled baby stays on creating reverse bend at gooseneck which I didnt like and backed lowers off till hanging.
Got back out , had no idea what happened to the other boat, this bloody one had boom in. big twist, easy to hold up crack off slightly and on plane. All new to me but seems upwind in 15/20 crack the jib off slightly to stop backwinding, foot off to keep boat flat and watch the numbers get bigger on puck. The mast cant be left like it is , I have no knowledge of how to tune this rig and will have to get help. Perhaps one of you guys can suggest an informative web site.
There is a way to go yet, I cant use the boat the way it is and may miss the states but looks to me in the right hands these lovely little boats are going to boogie.

Well its supposed to be light next weekend, the perfect time to take it out, and at the states there will be more than needed people to have a look over it, and all having these size boats experience, you are sure to get it all sorted in minutes!

We should be there and get some pics if it helps, but when the breese is on, the main is going to flap, they all do, especially with a body down on weight, but the sails love it! ;)

#407 Bryce

Bryce

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

Got our SMS certificate today was a mistake in draft and will be replaced with 794. I did not know the exact SMS weight but was 509kg. considering bare hull and CB was 395kg it has a lot of extra stuff.

SMS of .794.... sounds like a number one could work with...

#408 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Are you called Turkey Slapper because you like the feeling of a set of balls on your chin? and Hairy M? I'm to frightened to ask. :rolleyes: :P

So you waited 3 years to spew that sockpuppet!

Hard hitting that one!

Best you google what a Turkey Slap is eh, or has your girlfriend allready seen it in action?

You should know the rules newbie, lets see her Tits!

#409 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hard hitting that one!

Best you google what a Turkey Slap is eh, or has your girlfriend allready seen it in action?

The fuckwit is at it again. Insults is all he can contribute. Nothing intelligent. Supertroll!

#410 maxx

maxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Here you go Slapper!!:D

Hard hitting that one!

Attached Files

#411 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

Here you go Slapper!!:D

Hard hitting that one!

Now i know thats not her!

#412 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  • Interests:rum, boats, girls and rum

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

How did the tuning go today?

#413 Hairy M

Hairy M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Rum Rum and more Rum

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

went very well not a lot between the 2 boats at all bob is very happy with how it went we had about 15k and three up on both
boats just a bit still to do on bobs boat but very close now

#414 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

Good to hear. We got our vac bagging bench built, and the
Timber for the keel ripped up this weekend. Laminating it during the week then off both rudder and keel go to be machined while I'm away all going to plan. Small news but it's progress on #3 here in aus

#415 itkiwi

itkiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Don't you feel sad for those WA sailors - 20degrees in the winter

pic 1, 3 degrees of frost on Sunday morning.

pic 2 plastic tent and "buy right" heater from the hardware. That's what you do to get the glue to go off in NZ winters. There were still 30+ boats out in the Winter Series race later that afternoon including kids in dingy's. Go Ug.

pic 3 chainplates - I thiought it was time to figure out where things went and get the backing plates on before it was too late. The white rule is where the jib tracks will go, 40mm ratchet check block then the big cam cleat is the sheet lead. Any one have any comments on this. I don't like those all in one cam cleat bullseye things. The rachets are over some timber - I was planning to drill 6mm holes, fill with epoxy and tap for the 3mm bolts that came with the blocks - again has anyone done this?

pic 4 cockpit front. Where the small cleat is I will put 3 of these for cunningham, kicker and outhaul like the Shaw boats.

Welcome input - I don't like making extra holes by mistake.

After this there is just the sprit tubes to go before the deck goes on.

Attached Files

#416 Mojounwin

Mojounwin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

I was planning to drill 6mm holes, fill with epoxy and tap for the 3mm bolts that came with the blocks - again has anyone done this?

Yeah, I've tried this with a main traveller. It didn't work. The epoxy + high strength filler powder wasn't strong enough. The track just unzipped off the deck. You live and learn.

Cheers
Mojo

#417 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

tapping works on 'old school' FG laminate though

any bad experiences with that ?

embed some G10 ? you need the coarsest thread possible in 'softer than metal' material, no fine metrics

3mm threads makes it hard though, i'm positive they are nowhere near coarse enough to hold

3/16" whit works. tap out the fittings?

#418 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

I was planning to drill 6mm holes, fill with epoxy and tap for the 3mm bolts that came with the blocks - again has anyone done this?

Yeah, I've tried this with a main traveller. It didn't work. The epoxy + high strength filler powder wasn't strong enough. The track just unzipped off the deck. You live and learn.

Cheers
Mojo

Works better in solid laminate, cut out the core in places where you're planning to blot hardware. Better yet, plan ahead and taper the core edge into the cutouts for hardware. Adding an extra layer of cloth or two in the immediate area would be good too.

FB- Doug

#419 Jacko

Jacko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

4 Minutes behind Beneteau 40 after 130minutes winward/leward. Very happy with the improvements.

#420 furcoat

furcoat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

4 Minutes behind Beneteau 40 after 130minutes winward/leward. Very happy with the improvements.

What breeze and sea?

#421 Jacko

Jacko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

5-10 and about 1m swell.

What breeze and sea?

#422 Rossy

Rossy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

Yep pretty well done

But was also the first ever race for the 40........

Maybe not a great benchmark?

5-10 and about 1m swell.

What breeze and sea?

#423 maxx

maxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

Yes I witnessed the new Beneteu 40 giving the (I thought new too) Leech 650 a 4 minute flogging .Congrats

:lol: .

Yep pretty well done

But was also the first ever race for the 40........

Maybe not a great benchmark?

5-10 and about 1m swell.

What breeze and sea?

#424 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Please tell me you are not trying to compare the performance of a 6.5m Sport boat with Beneteau First 40...

Anybody feel like bringing a 49er or 18 footer etc into this contest... Perhaps an F18 or an A-Class..

There was a Shaw 650 that started 5 mins late behind a First 40 here on Wednesday.. Caught it in 4-6 knots of wind pretty quickly.. What did I draw from that conclusion... Zero.. Neither of them won.:P

#425 Obsessed

Obsessed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Mate my apple is heaps faster than your orange

#426 MSA

MSA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

Wanna race IRC then?? I'm keen!!!!

#427 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Apples , Oranges , how about Blazer 23s. They rule the river here at Noosa. What chance has a sports boat here, our local new Stealth 7, seldom keeps up. After addressing a major problem with our L650 build we go back in water Sunday, relates to the security of Centreboard in my 1 off design. Will sort it out before Airlie. I probably would do better in my Blazer 23 but we are going to put our L650 in the races, watch this space.

#428 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

The problem we had as stated was not a design one. Murphy and his wisdom prevailed but looks as if has been dealt with. It could not happen in one of you other guys builds. With the CB up 600mm and only using no2 kite 29sqm at 1/2 tide, Hit bottom many times mostly with rudder The L650 has too much power for the Blazer 23S who rule the river. Exciting to be back sailing, we made heaps of progress and understanding of rig today.

#429 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

The problem we had as stated was not a design one. Murphy and his wisdom prevailed but looks as if has been dealt with. It could not happen in one of you other guys builds. With the CB up 600mm and only using no2 kite 29sqm at 1/2 tide, Hit bottom many times mostly with rudder The L650 has too much power for the Blazer 23S who rule the river. Exciting to be back sailing, we made heaps of progress and understanding of rig today.

Good to hear you are making progress Bob. Looking forward to getting my arse aboard some time , hopefully "Heaven Can Wait" and then down in Sydney for a week or two of Super 30's... I will monitor Airlie results with anticipation.

#430 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Boats and trees.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Apples , Oranges , how about Blazer 23s. They rule the river here at Noosa. What chance has a sports boat here, our local new Stealth 7, seldom keeps up. After addressing a major problem with our L650 build we go back in water Sunday, relates to the security of Centreboard in my 1 off design. Will sort it out before Airlie. I probably would do better in my Blazer 23 but we are going to put our L650 in the races, watch this space.

Which Blazer is yours?

#431 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

3 Blind Mice No 59 4 year old, For sale now, the wee red boat rules.

#432 itkiwi

itkiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Bit more progress in Dunedin - lots of details before you can put the deck on.

Decided not to put the top layer of carbon on before glueing the panels on. Will do the radius at the deck edges and rebates for additional layers and then do the rest of the carbon in one go.

Added some light deck beams under the foredeck so i could force a slight camber in the deck panels - also added a hatch big enough to get through.

Attached Files

#433 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Decided not to put the top layer of carbon on before glueing the panels on. Will do the radius at the deck edges and rebates for additional layers and then do the rest of the carbon in one go.

Added some light deck beams under the foredeck so i could force a slight camber in the deck panels - also added a hatch big enough to get through.

Looking good! QLD Leech #3 officially got started yesterday. first panel came off the table at under 5kg for the complete panel so i think we are on the money. cnc machine has had a test run just to check everything as well. blanks are off to be 3d shaped as well. so a couple of weeks of bagging panels and we should have something better to post!

Attached Files

#434 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

Looking good! QLD Leech #3 officially got started yesterday. first panel came off the table at under 5kg for the complete panel so i think we are on the money. cnc machine has had a test run just to check everything as well. blanks are off to be 3d shaped as well. so a couple of weeks of bagging panels and we should have something better to post!

Nearly done with bagging our panels. Then on to cutting them out. Got our foils back today as well so next thing after the panels will be the foils.

Attached Files

#435 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

TTB, I think this is great. I look forward to the reports of your progress. Are you going to blog it like many do?

#436 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

Just updates on here and on our Facebook page "Hell Yeah Boatbuilders"

#437 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Looking good!!

i suspect 'looking good' will be a bonus when it lines up against Peow Peow !

I think it's going to be a great battle of the "650's" once the gold coast boat is dialled in, which I don't think will take too long knowing the operators building it.

i think 2-3 mins is is too much of a bridge to span
is the leech heavier ?

Attached File  Clipboard01.gif   45.69K   78 downloads

2012 Quennsland States .......... more

#438 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Will se after today, the 2 are.going head to head on the gold coast!

#439 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

QLD states was the first real regatta for it. Stay tuned is still in a experimental stage. Let's not forget these are the first boats so the RnD needs to be done unlike the shaws which have been around long enough to find out what's fast and whats not.

#440 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Will se after today, the 2 are.going head to head on the gold coast!

went to Peow Peow

leech 3rd?

#441 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Leech 3rd on a count back who were tied with blokes world. Leech beat moneyshot over the line nearly every race and got one up on peow as well. Still early days.

#442 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

approaching the ballpark then

so far

Pros:
quicker to build ?
easier to build ?
barely, but a slight break on SMS 0.005 ish ?

Cons:
heavier
Shaw has a production offering

confirm Tokie ?

#443 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

And when you see the conditions sailed in you wouldnt take anything from the results!

#444 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

so the Mooloola results are still the only good sample

#445 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

None of the results are a clear affirmation of performance. All the pros yes, the heavy....well there could still be some weight pulled from the build. The shaw may h e a production offering but the leech has beaten the production moneyshot in the winter regatta...... Early days still. All I know is, it will be a good step up from the i550!

#446 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

A Stanley SurForm blade http://www.stanleyto...placement Blade

Works well in taking down something like Glue vs. wood. use it freehand and it tends to gouge off the glue and not the wood.

#447 bls77

bls77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Leech 3rd on a count back who were tied with blokes world. Leech beat moneyshot over the line nearly every race and got one up on peow as well. Still early days.

Tokyo, you have no idea what you are talking about. For starters it was 0-8 (if that) knots the whole weekend, coming from every direction. We sailed moneyshot with 4 while graham sailed the whole weekend with 3. We probably had 100kg more crew weight. Both days it was an absolute lottery, with wind one minute and none the next. Race 2, 3, 4 was a total glass out with no wind at all. Race 2 the wind went from being a Westerly one minute to SE-E the next. If you ask all the guys thats sailed, the wind was all over the place. As for the leech beating moneyshot over the line it happened twice, big deal, the weekend proved nothing at all. In my opinion the shaw is much quicker upwind and downwind. The race the Leech beat Peow Peow was the sunday and i wouldn't call that a race, i would call it a drifter, it was an absolute waist of time.

#448 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

And peow sailed with 4 people as well, but they won.... ??? Sounds like excuses

#449 bls77

bls77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

[quote name='Tokyo Trash Baby' timestamp='1344490557' post='3818265']
And peow sailed with 4 people as well, but they won.... ??? Sounds like excuses
[/quot

Haha excuses, not even worth commenting, just get your facts right before you post.

#450 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Well if the shaws were so good they would be 1-2 no?? You blame the conditions for your performance but peow peow ( the same design) sailed the same tegatta and won decisively. A far better sailed boat...... Results reflect that

#451 bls77

bls77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

Well if the shaws were so good they would be 1-2 no?? You blame the conditions for your performance but peow peow ( the same design) sailed the same tegatta and won decisively. A far better sailed boat...... Results reflect that

Peow did sail better, have i ever said they didn't. This is not about them, its about you getting you facts right. Anyway i look fwd to racing you when you get your boat on the water.

#452 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

No, you never did. I just made an observation. All your post made mention of was how many excuses you could come up with. If you can sell the shaw as well as you can sell vivace the we should be good to see you on the race course when our boat hits the water.

#453 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

shaw shades leech in double cone passage race, but not by far enough.
Leech on corrected

#454 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

shaw shades leech in double cone passage race, but not by far enough.
Leech on corrected

Once again, if you were here you would of seen what went down on that race, some boats screewed over more than others!

Same as race 2 for the series!

Pfffft!

#455 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

i think i get you googles

what did you see,

can you translate that into words ?

#456 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Been A fair few lotteries out on the racecourse. Lists of shifty breeze(45degrees at times) and 5knots-glass out-15knts...... All over the shop. Yesterday's windward leeward when there was constant breeze they were up there mixing with each other.

#457 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

i think i get you googles

what did you see,

can you translate that into words ?

Well while we are a beam of stealthy, 3 mins ahead of the leech, they get.new breese and reach over everyone!

But.you would of known that!

#458 itkiwi

itkiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

10 months working mostly by myself gets you here - maybe 3 or 400 hours. Just finished the 3rd 20kg of resin and still have the keel, rudder cassette and foot chocks to go. Another 10kg pack of resin required. For bog I have "epoxybog" off Trademe. Really good stuff - goes off in 24 hours even when it's really cold and easy to sand. Dust floats everywhere though.

Attached Files

#459 crossa

crossa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

10 months working mostly by myself gets you here - maybe 3 or 400 hours. Just finished the 3rd 20kg of resin and still have the keel, rudder cassette and foot chocks to go. Another 10kg pack of resin required. For bog I have "epoxybog" off Trademe. Really good stuff - goes off in 24 hours even when it's really cold and easy to sand. Dust floats everywhere though.

looking good , when do u expect to be finished,looking forward to lining up against you
cheers crossa

#460 itkiwi

itkiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

looking good , when do u expect to be finished,looking forward to lining up against you
cheers crossa

You probably mean behind?

Sometime over the summer - do you want to come by and do some sanding?

Have you heard what's happened to the L8?

R

#461 crossa

crossa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

cheers crossa

You probably mean behind?

Sometime over the summer - do you want to come by and do some sanding?

Have you heard what's happened to the L8?

R

hehe we'll see i should be lighter than you and a little longer, crew's a bit suspect, dunno how they plan on drinkin red wine on this one, and as far as sanding goes, im off to the spray booth this friday afta work, so ive about had enuf of sanding, and after the weekend will probally be toatlly done... except i need to clear coat the carbon mast as its had a few mods since i bought it... forgot bout that job....damn

the l8 is in chch getting a completely new rig which was sent down to oborns in the last month i believe, so cant be far away, probally see it at aviemore,

whos doing your rig , have you got that sorted yet?

cheers crossa

oh aint sanding carbon a bitch in the cold.... fucken itchy shit

#462 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

It was well worth the trip to do race week. really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Grahame and crew did an excellent job seeing they are still working to get the full potential from the boat and i feel by season end they will be the boat to beat. Congratulations to them.
We had variable winds, big shifts. strong tides, and a fair bit of luck was needed to constantly do well.
We made too many errors on Slingshot, with wine glasses, halyard behind stays, trawling and some poor choices etc which we finally overcame by last race. The extra 100kg in boat is no excuse and of little effect compared to Stay Tuned as we turned the top mark after start 100m behind and held that gap on kite doing 10 to 12Knots for 6 or 7 miles to near Armit Is. I feel the 2 boats have an edge over the other 650s downwind.
We could not get the boat to go upwind, it was a slug. We tried everything we could think of and worked really hard on lay day to no effect, We were almost last to round each race after start, on the couple of times luck had us with the fleet, the assey was fouled and last again.
It was unfortunate we did not make an improvement to guide us by last race as we have no access to deep water or other performance boats at home. One thing may give some improvement, our jib track is mounted on curve of cabin giving about 10deg sheeting, about 45cm from center of mast, where everyone else was at least 10cm wider. I will put another track on side of cabin but doubt if can get out quite that far.
This was the 1st time we really sailed the boat as previous times were drifters, I have no experience in these lighter boats and now believe I was looking the wrong way, trying to increase power by putting more draft in main, just creating more drag and loss of height. Not once did we set the stays to flatten the main.
It was interesting the 2 boats having identical masts and similar sails, but Grahames boat has normal wire where we have Diformed which is slightly smaller, and I could not duplicate Grahames rig on loose gauge which was a shame, the forestay tensions were quite different. We dont seem to have an easy fix.
The crew work is a simple fix almost done. We are fast off wind, somehow we will get our upwind fixed and match other boats and at SMS 794 we should start getting some decent results.

#463 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

When all the pics of.your boat turn up on the photographers websites, check the upwind pics! It should stand out where some of the problems lie! Looking at your boat compared to the others, the difference is easy to see!

#464 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Try sheeting your sails on upwind would be good, the boat looked like it was reaching upwind, no jib on and not enough main. Your rigs are completely different and the dieform vs normal wire is the least of the differences, Graham's tip works in gust response upwind as the backstays terminate at the chain plate where as your rig is discontinuous, probably doesn't help in gust response upwind either. Probably try sailing a bit flatter as well.

#465 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

Try sheeting your sails on upwind would be good, the boat looked like it was reaching upwind, no jib on and not enough main. Your rigs are completely different and the dieform vs normal wire is the least of the differences, Graham's tip works in gust response upwind as the backstays terminate at the chain plate where as your rig is discontinuous, probably doesn't help in gust response upwind either. Probably try sailing a bit flatter as well.

We changed our rig to same backstays as Grahames. We run the Jib fully sheeted, would have to be recut to get flatter, The boom comes almost to centre, but will change bridle to adjustable as Grahame did. Now I have had time to think I am positive our main is far too baggy.

#466 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

We changed our rig to same backstays as Grahames. We run the Jib fully sheeted, would have to be recut to get flatter, The boom comes almost to centre, but will change bridle to adjustable as Grahame did. Now I have had time to think I am positive our main is far too baggy.

Opps not the fault of the sail but mast too straight.. The wire thing stops us from comparing settings.

#467 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

At WAGS yesterday, gave the mast heaps of prebend. the sail looked good, in 5 to 10k had nice twist which we could not get before with deeper sail. Even with the board raised 600mm and the odd bottom bashing in our creek, keeping the boat flat we were fast and height surprised us against other boats. The boat took off when fully vanged so need more prebend still.
We have finally turned the corner and know the direction to go. What a waisted opportunity at Airley.

#468 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:35 AM

You recon you had no twist at airlie? Wait till you see the pics!

#469 83TER

83TER

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

At WAGS yesterday, gave the mast heaps of prebend. the sail looked good, in 5 to 10k had nice twist which we could not get before with deeper sail. Even with the board raised 600mm and the odd bottom bashing in our creek, keeping the boat flat we were fast and height surprised us against other boats. The boat took off when fully vanged so need more prebend still.
We have finally turned the corner and know the direction to go. What a waisted opportunity at Airley.

Your Blazer fleet must be getting a bit worried that you are starting to get the boat going.

#470 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

:D

#471 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Your Blazer fleet must be getting a bit worried that you are starting to get the boat going.

Thanks for the input guys all taken in. We have 4 weeks before the Bridge to nowhere 2day southport regatta. Will be a chance to see if we have improved uphill.

#472 83TER

83TER

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

This Regatta is traditionaly a reaching/drag race so maybe you should concentrate more on starts and crew work get the basics right first and then worry about boat speed.

#473 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

This Regatta is traditionaly a reaching/drag race so maybe you should concentrate more on starts and crew work get the basics right first and then worry about boat speed.

Thanks for advice. We are just aware of the moreton bay pearl challange on 29th Sept and may be a better choice. The following week We will be doing the Heaven Can Wait 24 hour race at Lake Macquarrie near Newcastle. I can not find it on web but believe there will be a ASBA race out of RQ each month, a must for us to become competitive.

#474 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

i heard goggles is looking forward to a 'reach around'

#475 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for advice. We are just aware of the moreton bay pearl challange on 29th Sept and may be a better choice. The following week We will be doing the Heaven Can Wait 24 hour race at Lake Macquarrie near Newcastle. I can not find it on web but believe there will be a ASBA race out of RQ each month, a must for us to become competitive.

Pearl chalenge is a yacht race as far as im aware, sure you can race but not sure who you will be up against to compare, and the RQ event is sportboat saturday series not an asba event, it runs sms ratings but you dont have to be an asba member, E7's can do it as well as the ultimate 30! Not sure how many entries they will get this year but, novelty has worn out for a few boats that are are now in the obsolete basket!

#476 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

i heard goggles is looking forward to a 'reach around'

Guess what GS!

We won this regatta once!

Or was it twice!

On an RL!

Tool

#477 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Crikey, sounds like you've been at it for a while

#478 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

Crikey, sounds like you've been at it for a while

The pearl challange last year sounded like my kind of race. Charles ( Bakers Dough ) took home $1000 for 1st, an Austral 8 Peggy from Noosa 2nd. All boats were met after finnish by an inflatable and given a carton of cold beer, and entry fee $40. Evidently the hospitality after race was excellent , plenty of food etc.We now have a CBH rating which is yet to be posted. Tempting.
There is a SB saturday race listed at RQ on 19 Sept, does anyone know if any 650s or like will turn up? We really need to get an upwind check.

#479 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

The sportboat saturday event is over windward leward courses so ideal for your prep!

#480 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:11 AM

agree, best for continuing the leech tune-up

but ironically the pearl is ideal for you goggs

1. CBH 'capping
2. carton of piss worth more than the entry
3. rumoured $ 1000 prizemoney

#481 CT 101

CT 101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

SB Saturday dates are all on the ASBA Facebook page. First 1 is 15th of Sept. Think Peow, Wha Ka & Business Time are keen so far. What to improve your racing/speed, got to race Sport Boat events.
https://www.facebook...boatsaus?ref=hl

#482 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:38 AM

Your thinking fairway challenge goggs.

#483 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

I failed to pass on a very important observation at race week that is an important consideration for you guys still building.
In the Airlie whiterock race we had quite strong winds and we used our no 2 kite of 30sqm as we passed Shute harbor. We should have had our no 1 as wind had eased, and would have recorded some good speeds. We changed back to no1 later but only got up to bit over 16k at pioneer.
We were keeping around 15knots on the small kite, but the boat was in perfect balance. There was no helm I actually let go of tiller to show crew and the boat did not alter course which one would not normally do at 15k. I could steer where i wanted but still felt I had control. I will leave it to you guys but seems to me our kite could have been bigger, At the moment I would be confident to use this No 2 kite in blow.

#484 Berndty

Berndty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

What size in SM is your big kite???

#485 Mojounwin

Mojounwin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

It's a couple of months down the track now, what is the verdict on the gybing keel?

Cheers
Mojo

#486 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Afaik, gybing board has been locked off so they can get the boat properly tuned and going well, as it was an easy distraction to trying to get the boat dialed in. The owner might be able to shed some light though if I have missed something.

#487 noosa special

noosa special

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

What size in SM is your big kite???

53sqm

#488 Cheesy

Cheesy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

I failed to pass on a very important observation at race week that is an important consideration for you guys still building.
In the Airlie whiterock race we had quite strong winds and we used our no 2 kite of 30sqm as we passed Shute harbor. We should have had our no 1 as wind had eased, and would have recorded some good speeds. We changed back to no1 later but only got up to bit over 16k at pioneer.
We were keeping around 15knots on the small kite, but the boat was in perfect balance. There was no helm I actually let go of tiller to show crew and the boat did not alter course which one would not normally do at 15k. I could steer where i wanted but still felt I had control. I will leave it to you guys but seems to me our kite could have been bigger, At the moment I would be confident to use this No 2 kite in blow.

BadonkaDonk was around the same size as you big one, it might have been 54, anyway windward leewards it was still completely manageable above 25kts. Just sailed deep, which seemed to be quicker than a smaller kite at hotter angles (with a couple of traps)

#489 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

All our panels cut out. next is the rudder and keel then onto building a hull and deck.

Attached Files

#490 Jacko

Jacko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

I have comfirmation that another L650 will start being built this weekend on the Gold Coast!!!!!! This will be 4 SE QLD by early next 2013.

#491 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Shit yeah!!!

#492 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Keel is under way now. bagged the uni layers on friday night. Next will be some bog and a complete wrap of the board so we can completely finish it off.

Attached Files

#493 itkiwi

itkiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:30 AM

TTB - did you have this standing all the time or did you have it flat while adding the uni's and then stand it up?

#494 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

Did it how it is there, except we put a screw in each end and tied to to the roof so it would stay up while we apied the unis. Two person job, one wetting out and one applying and getting the air out from underneath. Then when it came to bagging we just slid the bag under and closed it up along the end and the top so we had the seam in an easy location to hear for leaks. You can see the f clamps in the photo we put there for while it was bagging.

#495 Sporty

Sporty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

Plenty of activity with the Leech!
Jig assembled this week, Cedar on order, ATL pre-laminated and CNC cut panels on order, Keel mould plug being machined, Carbon rig on the shelf, Pre-warned wife of the long hours after work, Now looking for a beer fridge :D

#496 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Plenty of activity with the Leech!
Jig assembled this week, Cedar on order, ATL pre-laminated and CNC cut panels on order, Keel mould plug being machined, Carbon rig on the shelf, Pre-warned wife of the long hours after work, Now looking for a beer fridge :D

good to hear. another boat to add to the already growing fleet.

#497 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Laminated the keel today. Took 5hrs to laminate then vac bagged it. Will find out tomorrow how well we did with it. Should have te foils done in the next fortnight. Then onto pouring a bulb.

#498 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

Laminated the keel today. Took 5hrs to laminate then vac bagged it. Will find out tomorrow how well we did with it. Should have te foils done in the next fortnight. Then onto pouring a bulb.

Attached Files

#499 Sporty

Sporty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Looking Good Andrew!
I start my foils next weekend so while i,m waiting for the cedar and the carbon panels from ATL etc, I assembled the jig today, levelled, assembled and battened within 4 hours "gotta love the Leech CNC pre-cut programs" Would love to see pics of the lead poring? B)

Attached Files

#500 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Haven't poured lead yet, not for a couple of weeks. Let me know if you want to join in and pour at the same time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users