28 replies to this topic

#1 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

With Class 40s dominating the real or imagined front page, maybe it's time for their own thread. It's been a great year to follow some of the action, including the Atlantic Cup, Fastnet, TJV and GOR. Really have to love these cool boats that may not be out of reach for us mere mortals. And even when the sponsored coverage was somewhat weak, we had Rail Meat providing excellent coverage of the races, boats, weather and crew.

Looks like the fun should continue in 2012 with Chocolat, Atlantic cup, etc. I was surprised to read there are 8 boats in the Northeast US. I can only think of four, Anyone have the complete list?

Great to see they are getting some decent traction over here (knock on wood). Hope to get out on one in the not too distant future.

#2 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Ask and ye shall receive... North America actually has a 15 boat fleet in the Class 40. 3 are in Quebec, 3 are in California and 9 are on the east coast in the US, although one of those is down south. For the 8 that are in the North East, while they are spread between Stamford CT and Portland ME, the reality is that they all travel for events and a good number of those races are in the Newport RI area.

Canada
  • Bleu voile Oceanique - Manuard design in Montreal, Canada
  • Persévérance III - Pogo design in Montreal, Canada
  • Sacramouil - Desgagne design in Montreal, Canada

West Coast
  • Califorina Condor - Antrim design in San Francisco, CA
  • Decollage - Pogo design in Long Beach, CA
  • Yippee Kay Yay - Antrim design in Dana Point, CA

East Coast
  • Amhas - Akilaria design in Portland, ME
  • Bolands Mill - Owen Clarke design in Portland, ME
  • Cutlass - Owen Clarke design in Newport, RI
  • Dragon - Owen Clarke design in Mystic, CT
  • Gryphon Solo - Akilaria design in Marblehead, MA
  • Icarus - Rodger Martin design in Newport, RI
  • Kamoa'e - Pogo design in Stamford, CT
  • Ocean Warrior - Owen Clarke design in Florida / Bahamas
  • Toothface - Akilaria design in Boston, MA

Hope that helps. If any one wants more information about the Class, let me know. I am a bit busy at work at the moment, but will try to respond as quickly as I can.

#3 Samba301

Samba301

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

If any one wants more information about the Class, let me know. I am a bit busy at work at the moment, but will try to respond as quickly as I can.

Please! You're chomping at the bit to write more!!!

#4 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Shared ownership is one way to obtain the unobtainable, get 4 guys to sell their 30ft raceboat, buy a C40 together, makes life very interesting...

#5 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

Awesome info RM, thanks! Let's hope the Atlantic Cup gets a huge turnout.

Is that Akilaria Brian Harris had for sale in the northeast too? I seem to remember it sold this summer.

#6 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

If any one wants more information about the Class, let me know. I am a bit busy at work at the moment, but will try to respond as quickly as I can.

Please! You're chomping at the bit to write more!!!

If only these pesky FAs from Boston would just stop calling....

#7 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

Is that Akilaria Brian Harris had for sale in the northeast too? I seem to remember it sold this summer.

Sold. That was a screaming bargain.... economic conditions being what they are it is understandable it took some time to move, but any one who was interested in a good boat missed an opportunity on that one.

#8 misconseption2348

misconseption2348

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

I heard that the Quebec boats were home built. Anyone have any pics? Do these boats get out and race?

#9 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

Two of the boats were home built, but the Pogo was purchased second hand and had been raced in Europe for a season. I believe Blue Voile has a web site and there should be some pics there so just search on the boat name and "Class 40". For Sacramouil, it is also home built and there is a picture on the web. Search on the name and "Class 40"

#10 fdcampello

fdcampello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Two of the boats were home built, but the Pogo was purchased second hand and had been raced in Europe for a season. I believe Blue Voile has a web site and there should be some pics there so just search on the boat name and "Class 40". For Sacramouil, it is also home built and there is a picture on the web. Search on the name and "Class 40"

Sacramouille: http://www.voileenli...tag/luc-forcier
Bleu Voile: http://www.voileenli...voile-oceanique
Persévérance: http://www.voileenli...obert-patenaude

#11 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

The Daily Sail reporting there's a sweet Kiwi 40FC being delivered and then coming to the US in the spring.

My link

#12 2 handed

2 handed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

A week old, but didn't see this video clip of The Class 40, 11th Hour Racing (Cutlass) finish in the the TJV threads...

A big congrats to Hugh and Nick on their transatlantic finish!

It was especially fun following them, as Cutlass has always kicked our ass.

Clip starts slow, but some interview footage of the boys half-way through.

http://www.dailymoti...rto-limon_sport

See ya in The Atlantic Cup guys!

cheers - mike dreese

#13 whynotsolo?

whynotsolo?

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:racing short handed, windsurfing, good rum :)

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:22 AM

Ask and ye shall receive... North America actually has a 15 boat fleet in the Class 40. 3 are in Quebec, 3 are in California and 9 are on the east coast in the US, although one of those is down south. For the 8 that are in the North East, while they are spread between Stamford CT and Portland ME, the reality is that they all travel for events and a good number of those races are in the Newport RI area.

Canada

• Bleu voile Oceanique - Manuard design in Montreal, Canada
  • Persévérance III - Pogo design in Montreal, Canada
  • Sacramouil - Desgagne design in Montreal, Canada

West Coast
  • Califorina Condor - Antrim design in San Francisco, CA
  • Decollage - Pogo design in Long Beach, CA
  • Yippee Kay Yay - Antrim design in Dana Point, CA

East Coast
  • Amhas - Akilaria design in Portland, ME
  • Bolands Mill - Owen Clarke design in Portland, ME
  • Cutlass - Owen Clarke design in Newport, RI
  • Dragon - Owen Clarke design in Mystic, CT
  • Gryphon Solo - Akilaria design in Marblehead, MA
  • Icarus - Rodger Martin design in Newport, RI
  • Kamoa'e - Pogo design in Stamford, CT
  • Ocean Warrior - Owen Clarke design in Florida / Bahamas
  • Toothface - Akilaria design in Boston, MA

Hope that helps. If any one wants more information about the Class, let me know. I am a bit busy at work at the moment, but will try to respond as quickly as I can.

You can add Bodacious Dream, the recently launched Farr 40FC, to the Midwest Fleet. The owner is lake Michigan based.

#14 Colin

Colin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

Sold. That was a screaming bargain.... economic conditions being what they are it is understandable it took some time to move, but any one who was interested in a good boat missed an opportunity on that one.

Hehe, when Jesse and I brought Brians boat to Maine last spring, and he told me there was an almost identical, brand new boat sitting in shrink wrap at the yard, I would have sold my soul and all other non-essential body parts to get that thing. Unfortunately the Devil told me with my credit score, I still couldn't cut it.

Someday.

#15 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Question on tacking and gybing. I've only been on one boat with running backstays, and tacking the boat was a fairly drawn out process when shorthanded. How is it in a Class 40 with one or two. If you were racing in a 20 mile race that hit all points of sail, could you be competitive against something like a J-111 that was also shorthanded? I assume gybing a chute means using the sock and is also a fairly long process? Thanks much for any help!

#16 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Question on tacking and gybing. I've only been on one boat with running backstays, and tacking the boat was a fairly drawn out process when shorthanded. How is it in a Class 40 with one or two. If you were racing in a 20 mile race that hit all points of sail, could you be competitive against something like a J-111 that was also shorthanded? I assume gybing a chute means using the sock and is also a fairly long process? Thanks much for any help!

Well, it ain't simple but it also is not very hard:
  • Center up the main (roughly)
  • Bring on the new check and runner
  • Tack the stack of gear below (assuming you are class racing which allows stacking)
  • Tack the water ballast
  • Tack the boat (using the pilot)
  • Tack the headsail
  • Get on course
  • Trim the head sail
  • Release the old runner and check and then trice them forward
  • Trim the travler and main sheet
  • Top off the water ballast
  • Catch your breath.

It actually becomes pretty routine after a few hundred times. Until you forget something, or have to crash tack and get it all done in seconds

For down wind gybing it is pretty much the same exact thing. Depending on conditions (and skill) you can either sock the kite or run it through the slot by grabbing the clew, bringing it through and then sprinting back to the cockpit and hauling in the sheet full throttle.

Doing a 20 miler point-to-point (including some corners to turn) you definitely should beat the J111 boat for boat. You should be right with a NYYC Swan 42. On a handicap basis, PHRF is actually pretty fair to the boats. IRC and ORR are punitively bad. Really, really bad.

It's not the boat to get if you want to do around the cans. But if you want to do some middle distance or distance racing, it is a friggin hoot.

#17 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks a lot RM. Other than the water ballast, the same as I now recall. And that doesn't seem bad, as you wait to top it off until late in the game. Definitely would need some cheat sheets in the cockpit until one memorizes it.

Feedback on a middle distance race is encouraging. In order to consider one for someone with a family and largely tied to a desk job, i'd need something to keep me busy in between the longer races.

#18 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

why aren't you furling the chute?

#19 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Thanks a lot RM. Other than the water ballast, the same as I now recall. And that doesn't seem bad, as you wait to top it off until late in the game. Definitely would need some cheat sheets in the cockpit until one memorizes it.

Feedback on a middle distance race is encouraging. In order to consider one for someone with a family and largely tied to a desk job, i'd need something to keep me busy in between the longer races.

Viper! If I actually had any free time between the longer races, I would add a Viper to the fleet. Fun and fast boat, minimal crew needed, hot competition without being dominated by pros, trailer it to events, keep it in my back yard or at the sailing foundation, controlled upkeep costs.

#20 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Viper! If I actually had any free time between the longer races, I would add a Viper to the fleet. Fun and fast boat, minimal crew needed, hot competition without being dominated by pros, trailer it to events, keep it in my back yard or at the sailing foundation, controlled upkeep costs.

Good point. Had been thinking Laser, but there's a good sized Viper fleet in Marblehead to have fun with.

#21 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Oliver Dewar just sent out a note with a link to Bodacious Dream's sea trials. Drool, drool....

Kiwi 40FC

#22 JRowse

JRowse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Little bit of footage from on board 40 Degrees enroute to our third place finish in the Transat Jacques Vabre this past November.

TJV Video

Bodacious Dream seems to have the same or a very similar furling A3 to what we used a whole lot during the TJV, interesting sail that was very effective.

#23 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

Little bit of footage from on board 40 Degrees enroute to our third place finish in the Transat Jacques Vabre this past November.

TJV Video

Bodacious Dream seems to have the same or a very similar furling A3 to what we used a whole lot during the TJV, interesting sail that was very effective.

Good stuff Jesse, thanks!

Nice interview in Sail too, and good to see them broadening their scope.

#24 JRowse

JRowse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for checking it out!

They didn't mention that we did this interview while me and Hannah were bashing upwind delivering 40 Degrees to Antigua after only 4 days in Costa Rica post TJV finish.......

#25 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

New Farr boat sailing from Wellington to Auckland this weekend then heading to the USA on a ship.

Here's some videos of it sailing in Wellington.

http://www.youtube.com/v/-IKiULDgVaE

http://www.youtube.com/v/UnD42nhK4R4

#26 34 South

34 South

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

It's worth checking out Jorg Reichers' site here. It features his new Manuard design and is one to watch after a sistership dominated the Class 40 worlds in 2011.

Here's a Google translation of the German write up on the new boat.

The new Class 40 "mare" is a Mach 40 by Sam Manuard. The boat has a lot of volume in the bow is very light and has a lower center of gravity and an innovative rig. The Mach-40 prototype class winner is the 40th

The shipyard in La Trinite sur Mer JPS were only 4 months to build the new "mare" and she has complied with the schedule to the day.

The boat has some features that make it very fast, eg An adjustable mast rake as the Volvo Ocean Racer "campers" or a 505. This will be set very low spreaders to shift the center of gravity of the mast by a meter down. Thus we have the lightest of all Class 40 ballast bulb and thus less water resistance.

As a result, the boat has become very easy, we were able to focus a lot of weight in the keel area to achieve the prescribed minimum weight of 40 Class of 4500 kilograms. All small innovations that make the sum in their boat but very fast. In addition there is the voluminous bug that makes the boat fast, especially on Reachingkursen.

#27 Royal Flush

Royal Flush

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Came across a 2010 video of the new Akilaria

Fantastic looking boat imho

#28 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

A week old, but didn't see this video clip of The Class 40, 11th Hour Racing (Cutlass) finish in the the TJV threads...

A big congrats to Hugh and Nick on their transatlantic finish!

It was especially fun following them, as Cutlass has always kicked our ass.

Clip starts slow, but some interview footage of the boys half-way through.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmm3ta_27-11-2011-arrivee-de-11th-hour-racing-a-puerto-limon_sport

See ya in The Atlantic Cup guys!

cheers - mike dreese

Got the chance to have a chat with Nick and Hugh when they stopped into Halifax on their way across the pond for the TJV start.

First time I'd ever set foot on a Class 40, but I swear it won't be the last, they were very hospitable and answered all the questions I could think of,

Good luck with the season, Fair winds and following seas

HW

#29 EaglesDare

EaglesDare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Looks like Ahmas is for sale up in Maine

yachtworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic