• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#1 bosun

bosun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

Got a group looking to experience the AC in Newport without wanting to go broke. June 23 - July 1, 2012. Any advice on where to stay, must see venue's, etc???

#2 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:22 AM

Got a group looking to experience the AC in Newport without wanting to go broke. June 23 - July 1, 2012. Any advice on where to stay, must see venue's, etc???

In addition to the AC-45 activity do take in the Americas Cup and Herreshoff Marine Museums at Fort Adams , any one of the " cottages " such as Marble House and if you are into tennis , the Tennis Hall of fame .

http://www.herreshoff.org/

http://www.newportmansions.org/

http://www.tennisfame.com/

#3 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:26 AM

My favorite is the Wyndham Inn guest suites on Long Wharf, just across the road from Newport Shipyard. However appears to be booked out while ACWS is in town. Newport Marriott next door has availability at around four hunnert bucks a nite.

Best bet might be a motel in a neighboring town and a designated driver. Newport prices in summer are never cheap.

#4 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:36 AM

So much to do – so little time!

Late afternoon cocktails on the lawn at the Inn at Castle Hill, overlooking the entrance to Narragansett Bay.

Get away from the tourists and grab lunch at the café at Newport Shipyard. It's a happening place in June.

Check out the Clarke Cook House aka the Candy Store. Four separate bars. My favorite is the small bar in the center of the main dining room.

Ask to see the Club Room at the Clarke Cook House (which is really the America's Cup room but they can't say or promote that!) with its wonderful memorabilia. It will be booked solid for private lunches, dinner and functions with the Cup folk in town but you should be able to arrange a peek some morning.

Clam chowder at the Black Pearl restaurant.

Live or cooked lobster to go from Aquidnect Lobster Co, at the end of Bowen's Wharf

The Newport "cottage" to visit is The Breakers, built for Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt.

If you know anyone who knows anyone who is a New York Yacht Club member, see if you can arrange a visit and a drink at Harbour Court, summer home of the NYYC. Of course, if your yacht club has reciprocal privileges . . .

The International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS) on Thames St is high on my list of places to visit. Everything from Beetle Cat restoration to the ongoing rebuild of the 1885 131-foot schooner yacht Coronet. There is a wonderful library at the school. Don't know if it is open to the public.

And of course the Herreshoff Marine Museum and America's Cup Hall of fame, up the bay in Bristol, RI. To visit the Nathanael G Herreshoff Model Room call ahead to make arrangements. Don't miss Amaryllis, the 33-foot catamaran precursor of the AC45s. The original was designed by Capt. Nat in 1876. This one is a replica, Amaryllis II, built in 1933 and clocked at 19.8 knots in sea trials.

#5 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Innovation, Web Development, Writing, etc.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:51 AM

Lots of options....prices go up quite a bit during the summer though!

Lodging depends on your style. You will see a number of bed and breakfasts and inns. They are usually rated on most of the popular web sites.

There are also a number of hotels - both in the downtown and also up island a bit.

Here's a tip on lodging - the island is VERY small and it is very easy to get around it! Even if you stay at a chain in mid-island (Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn)...it is very close to where things are happening!

Speaking of that, the Comfort Inn is walkable to many eateries and a couple of beaches...it's the one right on the Newport Middletown Border.

We've stayed at this inn:
http://www.millstreetinn.com/

It's nice and clean and is downtown - walking distance to everything. I mean everything.....mansions, waterfront, etc.

Note - if ALL on-island hotels are expensive - we once stayed at this off-island place:
http://www.hamptoninnfallriverhotel.com/

It's only about 10 minutes off the top end of the island (off of Portsmouth).

Some suggestions...
Eat at Mama Luisa on Thames St.
Drive or bike Ocean Drive - see and hang out at Ft. Adams. Park and walk at Brenton Point State Park. See the Breakers if you are going to see only one Mansion.
There is a little farmers market on Wed Afternoons and Sat Mornings.
Greenvale Vineyard is in Portsmouth (same island) and you can taste there - worth the trip for the view and surroundings.
If you like Tennis, you can visit the hall of fame.
If you like Nature, visit the saquest wildlife refuge - lots of walking paths...nice!
Take a walk on the Cliff walk. Watch the surfers at 2nd beach.
I have some pics of the area - and they are mapped out in google at:
http://www.panoramio.com/user/2443376
(look for those tagged Newport or Middletown or Portsmouth - all on the same island - all within 15 minutes of each other.

#6 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

You can, of course, ride on the older AC 12 meters...they even let you run the things!
Pics enclosed......we took a ride a few months ago! It's a nice part of history....

Attached Files

• Attached File  ac1.jpg   97.29K   48 downloads
  • Attached File  ac2.jpg   82.87K   45 downloads

#7 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:19 AM

Got a group looking to experience the AC in Newport

That would be the "ACWS". It has "AC" in the name. That's as close as it gets. I have been to one of the ACWS regattas. Worth going? Well yes but on the other hand it was 200 miles from my home. For all the talk of "stadium sailing" the racing is easier to follow on YouTube than live. There's sod all to see at the team bases. I thought I might run into other sailors I know but I didn't. Not sorry I went, I'd go again if it were local (looking unlikely any time soon) but I wouldn't cross continents to see it.

#8 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Got a group looking to experience the AC in Newport

That would be the "ACWS". It has "AC" in the name. That's as close as it gets. I have been to one of the ACWS regattas. Worth going? Well yes but on the other hand it was 200 miles from my home. For all the talk of "stadium sailing" the racing is easier to follow on YouTube than live. There's sod all to see at the team bases. I thought I might run into other sailors I know but I didn't. Not sorry I went, I'd go again if it were local (looking unlikely any time soon) but I wouldn't cross continents to see it.

I guess I had much better luck in SD - ran into lots of friends and had the opportunity to talk with several people involved in both running and competing in the event and got a AC Liveline tour.

Not sure YouTube could provide that experience, but it is a good way to view the races.

#9 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,329 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

I can tell you this

you need to tell me the weather

before I can tell you that Posted Image

#10 fubaru

fubaru

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

So much to do – so little time!

Late afternoon cocktails on the lawn ...

Get away from the tourists and grab lunch at the café...

Ask to see the Club Room at the Clarke Cook House...

Clam chowder at the Black Pearl restaurant...

Live or cooked lobster to go from Aquidnect Lobster Co...

Visit is The Breakers...

Make reservations for 2013

Environmental Impact Report hilarity happening in SF right now as many of us predicted B)

#11 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

Gov. signs America's Cup Exec. Order<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; ">Providence Eyewitness News
PROVIDENCE, RI (WPRI) - On Thursday, Governor Lincoln Chafee signed an Executive Order regarding the America's Cup World Series Races in Newport. The Governor was joined at the State House by the CEO of ORACLE Racing Russell Coutts and America's Cup ...

#12 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:35 AM

Gov. signs America's Cup Exec. Order<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; ">Providence Eyewitness News
PROVIDENCE, RI (WPRI) - On Thursday, Governor Lincoln Chafee signed an Executive Order regarding the America's Cup World Series Races in Newport. The Governor was joined at the State House by the CEO of ORACLE Racing Russell Coutts and America's Cup ...

You left out this juicy tidbit.

The event is expected to attract 100,000 visitors to Rhode Island.

#13 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:39 AM

You left out this juicy tidbit.

The event is expected to attract 100,000 visitors to Rhode Island.

right --

I didnt leave it out --I was waiting for the spinray to do his spin spew bs ....

so if 100 k ''expected '' [ see legal definition -it means -unknown -]

100k there is what about 1 person per square foot - on that island

or are the doing the same exasperated estimation as the other venues

because to have those head counts validated --spectators were also the organisms in water for the totals to match claims --lol

cheers

#14 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:15 AM

I think they are blowing smoke with 100K or else figuring over the entire time period....

We've had 10,000 and more for the Folk and/or Jazz Festivals in past years - and pretty big crowds for other stuff and it doesn't hardly make a dent. Keep in mind that 100,000 people fit in a medium football field stands!

It would be another thing if they all came in at one time to one place. That would be tough. But I suppose a lot of them will replace tourists who would have been there anyway - that is, booking the hotels up which would have been full anyway.

There are three ways off and on the island....

Luckily for me, we have a cottage there. I can take a bike or a boat over toward the harbor if I want to see it.....
Posted Image
Oh, Folks could also park in Jamestown and take the little ferry right over to Ft Adams, etc......

C'mon - look at this scenery! No oil refineries or large tankers or other such junk......a sailors dream. You know you want to be there and spend some money.....

Attached Files

#15 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:17 AM

I think they are blowing smoke with 100K or else figuring over the entire time period....

We've had 10,000 and more for the Folk and/or Jazz Festivals in past years - and pretty big crowds for other stuff and it doesn't hardly make a dent. Keep in mind that 100,000 people fit in a medium football field stands!

It would be another thing if they all came in at one time to one place. That would be tough. But I suppose a lot of them will replace tourists who would have been there anyway - that is, booking the hotels up which would have been full anyway.

There are three ways off and on the island....

Luckily for me, we have a cottage there. I can take a bike or a boat over toward the harbor if I want to see it.....
Posted Image
Oh, Folks could also park in Jamestown and take the little ferry right over to Ft Adams, etc......

C'mon - look at this scenery! No oil refineries or large tankers or other such junk......a sailors dream. You know you want to be there and spend some money.....

ULTRA NICE

and the REAL AC historic waters for many races

I would like to go there but not for the evilsin circus

almost went when I was in delaware -etc but didnt get to go north

and the folks I have met from there are good

a certain harbor master in sf area is from there

has that accent

cheers

#16 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

I'm strongly thinking of going to this as well, how about any campgrounds in close proximity?

Having thoughts of trying to watch either on a dinghy with my 3yo son or an 18' Buccaneer if additional family want to come as well. The dinghy would be an easy hand launch from anywhere a kayak could get in, the bucc would need a ramp. Anyone know if this would be possible?

#17 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

Doubtless they mean the whole period but attendance estimates are a dubious proposition when there is no turnstyle. The organiser has an interest in bigging them up to justify the event fee they want to charge other venues and the city council/tourist board wants big figures to back up their decision to pay. There were good crowds at Plymouth - for a sailing event - but the claimed figures don't bear scrutiny.

#18 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

I'm strongly thinking of going to this as well, how about any campgrounds in close proximity?

Having thoughts of trying to watch either on a dinghy with my 3yo son or an 18' Buccaneer if additional family want to come as well. The dinghy would be an easy hand launch from anywhere a kayak could get in, the bucc would need a ramp. Anyone know if this would be possible?

I think you can find some campgrounds on the western land side - in N or S Kingston.....it gets rural very quickly out that way - and nice too!

The bridge is expensive to go back and forth (4 each way) , but nothing compared to the cost of good lodging in Newport!

Depending on exactly where the races are, you can definitely put a boat in.......if they don't close those access points, etc.
Examples include a nice and free ramp at Ft. Adams (Sail Newport) and a couple small kayak-type ramps right at Newport harbor near Ida Lewis YC.

I can google map them for you when things get closer.....

Sail Newport even rents out boats - J-22, Rhodes 19, etc. by the hour!........not sure what they are doing during the cup, but it's something to keep in mind. Maybe you can line one up early. It would even be worthwhile to join...I think they rent to non-members also, though.

#19 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

I looked up the projected course - and it appears Jamestown is also a great place to look at it! It seems to be scheduled for the strait (east passage) between Jamestown and Newport - they are claiming Ft. Wetherill in Jamestown is ground central for overlooking.

If so, this means staying in campgrounds on the mainland (there are very few hotels close on that side) is definitely an option.

This location provides perfect viewing from both side - newport and jamestown.

"A" marks the fort on the enclosed screen shot. Ft. Adams, which provides vast overviews of the harbor and strait, is at the top point of the peninsula where those ferry lines wrap around....

The prevailing winds are from the SE - you can almost count on it! I'm not familiar with the AC course setup in relation to breeze nor how long it is, but if it follows those ferry lines it will be straight downwind one way and directly into it the other. As you can also see, Newport Harbor became so popular way back because it is shielded from those particular winds - and deep.

#20 Dogfish4255

Dogfish4255

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Mostly sailboat racing, but woodworking, drinking, and sailboat racing are all up there.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

Watch Craigslist for housing opportunities. How big is your group? How big is your housing budget? There are many locals who know better than to tolerate the type of tourist traffic in town that an event like this will generate, and many of those same locals will rent out houses (both small and large) to capitalize on the short term rental opportunity. Many times you can find better amenities for prices comparable or better than the inns and hotels . . .

That said, if you're restricted to land-viewing access only, Jamestown has the higher vantage point (waterfront elevation) closer to the starting box, but I'd caution that Jamestown has a much smaller pool of available housing options.

Cheaper housing while saving enough money or setting up spectating access from a boat on the water is definitely the way to go.

Mainland camp sites may be the most inexpensive housing option, but weigh this carefully against the hassle of fighting inbound and outbound traffic, as well as being regularly targeted by Jamestown PoPo (they will also capitalize on the short term income opportunity).

#21 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

Hah!

My wife heard about the AC and is starting to tell me we should rent our place.......which we never do normally! Heck, it would pay a lot of the condo fees......

I'll have to check out craigslist and see what the market is saying.

#22 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

I just got confirmation from my Brother-in-law that he will indeed be stationed at the Coast Guard base in Newport when he comes back from Bahrain. That means he will be stationed there for the ACWS stopover and I already told the Boss (my Wife) that we are paying him a visit for a long weekend between June 27th and July 1st. Just in time for the last weekend of the Newport ACWS. That, and my Brother-in-law apparently just picked up a $1000 Canon Camera so I told him he will be drafted to take some pictures of the set up and goings on when the ACWS circus arrives. Regardless, I'll be grilling him for as much inside scoop he can provide in regards to the venue and such leading up to it. Very exciting.

WetHog :ph34r:

#23 ZachF

ZachF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

There are less expensive hotels in Middletown, and tent/camper camping at Fort Getty (http://www.jamestown...parks/rates.htm) in Jamestown and Melville Ponds Campground (http://www.google.co...onds campground) in Portsmouth. If you have an RV you can stay in the Walmart parking lot in Newport. For boat porn you should check out the Melville marine complex (Hinckley and NEB) and the Newport Shipyard. It looks like the MOD 70s will be at the Shipyard in preparation for the Krys Ocean race during the ACWS, and there will likely be some tall ships arriving for the tall ship festival which starts July 6.

#24 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

The prevailing winds are from the SE - you can almost count on it!.......Newport Harbor became so popular way back because it is shielded from those particular winds.....

So there's a "stadium sailing" event being run at a light wind venue where the harbour is sheltered from what wind does exist. Not entirely encouraging.

My wife heard about the AC

It's not the AC. It's not qualifiers for the AC. It's just a regatta with "AC" in the name.

#25 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

The prevailing winds are from the SE - you can almost count on it!.......Newport Harbor became so popular way back because it is shielded from those particular winds.....

So there's a "stadium sailing" event being run at a light wind venue where the harbour is sheltered from what wind does exist. Not entirely encouraging.

My wife heard about the AC

It's not the AC. It's not qualifiers for the AC. It's just a regatta with "AC" in the name.

Why do you keep hammering this falsehood?

I take it you failed to note in the 'Protocol for the 34th America's Cup', that you can't get to the LVC or the AC except through this series.

So not entirely irrelevant.

#26 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

I just found out my daughter is coming from LA with 11 of her friends for her birthday that week. Billed as a Newport vacation with all the partying. I guess I'll be taking them out for some up-close viewing. No matter what, that will be a busy period for housing on Aquidneck Island (Newport, Middletown & Portsmouth).

Left Hook should find out if Roger William's University will rent out rooms during that period. It's a 25 minute drive and right on RIPTA Bus Route 60 to Newport. Here is another place not well know at the North end of Aquidneck Island: http://www.foundersb...landsuites.com/

#27 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

Here is a pic from that sheltered harbor with the light winds....

It is very typical for winds in the Newport area to pick up....on a normal day....to 12-14kts with gusts to 18......these are non-storm winds - just those which build up daily based on various factors (temp, etc.).

They didn't design all those J-boats and the other greats coming out of RI for so-called "light air".....

I can't speak for how the multis are going to like winds like that, but they are ideal for monohulls.

Of course, you never know! We could have a week of winds less than 10Kt or we could have one where they gust at 25......although both are unlikely. The reason Newport is the home of US Sailing and so many other clubs and builders is that it is a pleasure to sail there - and somewhat predictable, at least as far as that exists when it comes to New England weather.

Attached Files

• Attached File  new1.jpg   234.33K   39 downloads

#28 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

Wrong!

Typical breeze on Narragansett Bay in June is SW, 10 to 15 and closer to 20 in gusts. That's unless a cold front comes through in which case things reverse for a day or two. A bit early in the summer for fog, but it does happen.

They will not be racing in Newport Harbour, which is a mooring area and which is shielded from the south west, and for that matter from the SE.

#29 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:31 AM

I take it you failed to note in the 'Protocol for the 34th America's Cup', that you can't get to the LVC or the AC except through this series.

Luna Rossa has joined "mid series" and the original protocol stipulations as to entry deadlines have been progressively waived. In the event that another new team emerges, does anyone doubt the same would happen again? The protocol is a protocol of convenience and stands exactly as long as it is convenient. Incidentally I have no issue with Luna Rossa joining, just don't try to tell us the protocol is any kind of rigid framework.

ACWS exists to permit teams to provide sponsor value before the real thing starts. The results don't matter. If they did, nobody would tolerate the results hinging on a single race. The boat isn't the AC boat. ACWS is a renamed World Sailing League, sailed by teams who may or may not make it to the LVC. By the way I'm enjoying it. It just has sod all to do with the AC, and I am hardly the only person making these observations.

#30 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:13 AM

Typical breeze on Narragansett Bay in June is SW, 10 to 15 and closer to 20 in gusts. That's unless a cold front comes through in which case things reverse for a day or two. A bit early in the summer for fog, but it does happen.

OK, it was (I think) a local who said the prevailing breeze was SE ("you can almost count on it"). If you read accounts of AC and trials at Newport, there were an awful lot of light wind races and a view that, for example, an early AUS challenge erred in failing to optimise for light Newport breeze. So is June significantly windier than later in the summer?

They will not be racing in Newport Harbour, which is a mooring area and which is shielded from the south west, and for that matter from the SE.

Where will they be racing?

#31 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:20 AM

They didn't design all those J-boats and the other greats coming out of RI for so-called "light air".....

My only visit to Newport was touristic, not sailing. I have however had the pleasure of sailing on a J-class in the UK. A story - apocryphal but carrying a grain of truth - is that the skipper would put a candle at night on the deck. If it had blown out by the morning, there was too much wind to sail. If it had not, too little.

#32 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:42 AM

Both AC and last year's LAC races were held out on Narragansett Bay, while the WS will be held in much more sheltered waters

Posted Image

Anyway, coming after Venice it'll feel like Plymouth ..

#33 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

To clarify the bay and the harbor, the big red dots are the bay - the so-called east passage of the bay.

The 2 smaller dots are the protected harbor.

The wind does tend to come from the SW - although IMHO as it builds it tends more and more south.
Another factor is that the entrance to the bay acts as a funnel or a nozzle since there are cliffs of a sort on the Jamestown side and some height even on the Newport side....

Based on the viewing from Ft. Wetherill, the race does not enter the harbor at all, but is fully out in the bay channel.

Other image shows the winds now - which is about exactly how a summer chart might look! The first day is a normal air day - maybe 9-10 kts steady....we'd see maybe 14-15 gusts on that day.
The second day is what most of you probably want to see at the AC - on a day like that, you'll easily see 20+ knots gusts. This is not a rare day - we often get 3-4 days in a row of that. Still, there is a larger chance for the 10kt (steady) day.

I assume the AC will time the races based on the strongest winds of the day - historically? If so, that would call for maybe 3PM +

Attached Files

#34 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

To clarify the bay and the harbor, the big red dots are the bay - the so-called east passage of the bay.

Yes, racing in the East Passage but, based on existing info only in the area represented by your two big red dots at the innermost end of Narragansett Bay.

The course map published by americascup.com shows racing confined to a small body of water between Fort Adams and Hammersmith Farm on the east side and Fort Wetherill and the adjacent Jamestown coast on the west side.

Attached Files

#35 bwana

bwana

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

Won't be much of a view from Harbor Court, will there?

Yes, racing in the East Passage but, based on existing info only in the area represented by your two big red dots at the innermost end of Narragansett Bay.

The course map published by americascup.com shows racing confined to a small body of water between Fort Adams and Hammersmith Farm on the east side and Fort Wetherill and the adjacent Jamestown coast on the west side.

#36 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:05 AM

Won't be much of a view from Harbor Court, will there?

You might consider that the occupants of Harbour Court (note the u in Harbour) don't deserve much of a view of the racing. After all they lost the Cup to the Ozzers 28 long years ago and have been spectacularly unsuccessful in their efforts ever since to get it back.

#37 2Newts

2Newts

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

So, questions:
1. Will the organizers remove the lobster/crab buoys, and if not what happens if one gets in the way of a cat?
2. Will the authorities close the passage during the race? Normally lots of large power yachts that time of year leaving wakes enough that a J42 can submarine its bow into one of them.
3. Better to watch from land or center console?
4. If better from a small boat, probably fewer spectators on the south side, right?
2N

#38 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

^

Don't know plans for Newport but for other ACWS regattas to date, the race area has been closed off by harbour authorities to other traffic (not necessarily with 100% compliance!).

As for watching from boat or land, the event is designed to be viewed from land (or your browsing device of preference but that's another story). In Plymouth the best view was definitely to be had from land and iirc those at SD made similar comments.

#39 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

Governor Lincoln D. Chafee Announces America's Cup World Series Host Committee
Providence, RI - Governor Lincoln D. Chafee today announced the thirty-eight members of the America's Cup World Series Host Committee. The Committee, established when Governor Chafee signed Executive Order 11-11 last month, will coordinate Rhode Island's efforts to ensure a successful event. Brad Read, Executive Director of Sail Newport, will serve as Chairman.

contd

#40 march

march

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

I looked up the projected course - and it appears Jamestown is also a great place to look at it! It seems to be scheduled for the strait (east passage) between Jamestown and Newport - they are claiming Ft. Wetherill in Jamestown is ground central for overlooking.

If so, this means staying in campgrounds on the mainland (there are very few hotels close on that side) is definitely an option.

There is a large campground on the West side of Jamestown, FYI. Right on the water, I believe it is city owned.

#41 SonOfASailor

SonOfASailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

Some of my sailing buddies and I are trying to come up for the ACWS. We're trying to rent a house or apartment near Thames St, as we plan on spending alot of time at the bars (IYAC).

We were hoping to spectate the racing from the water. Assuming we can find a powerboat (suggestions?), do yall think we would be able to get within a reasonable viewing distance without be flagged down by the authorities?

#42 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

At Plymouth you could anchor and view a couple of 100 yards from the leeward and windward gates. You could not enter the race area. Those who'd viewed from water and land reckoned they got a better view from land. AFAIK arrangements have been similar elsewhere but YMMV.

#43 Sailer X

Sailer X

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

Those who'd viewed from water and land reckoned they got a better view from land.

As one of those, the view point given by the Hoe was a big factor, together with the big screen. But I'd go out on the water again - with a laptop to watch the live stream!

#44 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

USA. Lecture Series at IYRS to focus on the America’s Cup Past, Present and Future
Monday, 05 March 2012

In anticipation of the America’s Cup World Series coming to Rhode Island this summer, IYRS is hosting a series of lectures on this famed international event that called Newport home for over fifty years. The four-part series entitled “The America’s Cup: Past, Present and Future” kicks off Tuesday, March 6 at the school’s Newport campus.
The series will feature an interesting mix of experts who have been involved with the Cup in varying capacities—from organizers of this summer’s World Series, to those well-versed in the technology that fuels the event’s high-performance multihulls, to individuals who have a long and storied history with the event.
Details on each lecture in the series follows:
March 6 - “The America’s Cup World Series Comes to Newport: What to Expect Out on the Bay”
Brad Read, chair of The America's Cup World Series Host Committee and executive director of Sail Newport, will give lecture-goers a look at what to expect this June when the Cup comes to Newport. Read will talk about the village set-up at Fort Adams State Park, the teams scheduled to compete, and details on the course and the racing.
March 20 – “Making it to Prime Time: How the America's Cup Will Be in Every Living Room by 2013”
Venus Williams, Michael Phelps, Peekaboo Street. We know them. We love to watch them. After the 34th America's Cup, if the biggest brand in the yachting world plays its cards right, Jimmy Spithill, Loick Peyron, Dean Barker, Terry Hutchinson and their crews will become household names like the rest of the planet's top athletes. Freelance marine journalist Chris Museler will show lecture-goers how the Cup is taking a visionary stance with digital media, with crazy dangerous boats, and with a relentless (and ruthless) group of elite athletes who may just turn the sport into "must see TV."
April 3 – “Remembrances of the 12-Meter Era of the America’s Cup in Newport”
No one who knows more about racing 12-meters in the America’s Cup than Halsey Herreshoff. He has the rare distinction of being the first sailor over the line on a 12-meter in the America’s Cup, as well as the last. He achieved this as bowman on Columbia in 1958 and navigator in the 1983 afterguard. In his lecture, Herreshoff will regale lecture-goers with stories of the colorful era of Cup racing in Newport—a chapter in this famed event full of controversy, commotion and characters.
April 17 – “Wing Sails, Carbon Fiber and Multihulls: The New Technology of the Cup”
Ben Hall, vice president of Hall Spars, will bring a wealth of knowledge about the Cup and wing sails to IYRS in April. He has built spars for America’s Cup racers, competed with wing sails aboard his own A-Class cat, and worked on wing sails for the current Cup contenders. In his lecture, he will talk about the technology and construction of these space-age racers, explain how they work, and prepare lecture-goers for the Cup excitement that will come to Newport this June. 
All lectures begin at 7:30 pm at IYRS Restoration Hall (449 Thames Street, Newport). Lectures are free for members of IYRS and the Museum of Yachting and $7 for non-members. Café Zelda (528 Thames Street, Newport) coordinates their dining with the series on lecture nights.
For more information about the IYRS lectures, visit www.iyrs.org
See America’s Cup World Series images
See 34th America's Cup images :
Last Updated ( Monday, 05 March 2012 )
http://www.bymnews.c...ls.php?id=99560

#45 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

USA. Lecture Series at IYRS to focus on the America's Cup Past, Present and Future
April 3 – "Remembrances of the 12-Meter Era of the America's Cup in Newport"
No one who knows more about racing 12-meters in the America's Cup than Halsey Herreshoff. He has the rare distinction of being the first sailor over the line on a 12-meter in the America's Cup, as well as the last. He achieved this as bowman on Columbia in 1958 and navigator in the 1983 afterguard. In his lecture, Herreshoff will regale lecture-goers with stories of the colorful era of Cup racing in Newport—a chapter in this famed event full of controversy, commotion and characters.

This will be the best one IMHO. Halsey has always seemed to be a very straightforward person whenever I have heard him quoted or interviewed.

Interesting.................first and last. Will there be any video of this event, somewhere?

#46 alpha

alpha

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

That's a small bit of track for an AC45 when the sea-breeze comes in. I'm guessing that the windward marks will be at or past Castle Hill.

#47 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

USA. Lecture Series at IYRS to focus on the America's Cup Past, Present and Future
Monday, 05 March 2012

March 6 - "The America's Cup World Series Comes to Newport: What to Expect Out on the Bay"
Brad Read, chair of The America's Cup World Series Host Committee and executive director of Sail Newport, will give lecture-goers a look at what to expect this June when the Cup comes to Newport. Read will talk about the village set-up at Fort Adams State Park, the teams scheduled to compete, and details on the course and the racing.

http://www.bymnews.c...ls.php?id=99560

Brad Read's presentation at IYRS showed the course a little different than on the web. There will be a clear passage on the west side closer to Jamestown so other boats can pass through. The presentation gave an overview on how Fort Adams is going to be transformed for this event... VIP viewing, peasant viewing, concession, sponsors, etc. He described the ACWS as building up the hype with NASCAR "crash & burn", then proceeded to show some early videos of the AC45s pitch pole maneuvers. Some cool stuff to watch.

#48 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

nice enough

#49 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Think this same event is posted above but here's a bump
--

NEWPORT -- Sail Newport is hosting an event Friday night at the Jane Pickens Theater in preparation for the America's Cup World Series yachting race planned for this summer from June 26 to July 1.
Sail Newport Executive Director Brad Read, chairman of the World Series Rhode Island host committee, expects to offer theatergoers details about the summer racing series, but he also expects to connect via videoconference with his brother, Newporter Kenneth Read, and his team's live racing action in the Volvo Ocean Race.
Kenneth Read, CEO and skipper of PUMA Ocean Racing, and his team have been sailing in that race in 40 knots for nearly two weeks now, Brad Read said.
Tickets are available online at www.sailnewport.org, or by e-mailing Katie.barker@sailnewport.org.

--
http://news.providen...newport-to.html

#50 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Another piece from there, makes me think they like Naples and Venice too are going to make one heck of an event out of this.

http://m.jamestownpress.com/node/59585

#51 seis

seis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Another piece from there, makes me think they like Naples and Venice too are going to make one heck of an event out of this.

http://m.jamestownpress.com/node/59585

Same format:

"The first weekend at Fort Adams has been designated for practice racing. Approximately 4,000 to 7,000 people per day are expected at Fort Adams during that time. Following two lay days, the racing begins in earnest on Wednesday, with close to 10,000 people per day expected for the final weekend. The last day of racing will be broadcast live nationally on NBC."

Also broadcast by Mediaset.

#52 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

from http://boatinglocal....s-in-april.html

April 17: Wing Sails, Carbon Fiber and Multihulls: The New Technology of the Cup

Ben Hall, vice president of Hall Spars, will bring a wealth of knowledge about the Cup and wing sails to IYRS in April. He has built spars for America’s Cup racers, competed with wing sails aboard his own A-Class cat, and worked on wing sails for the current Cup contenders. In his lecture, he will talk about the technology and construction of these space-age racers, explain how they work, and prepare lecture-goers for the Cup excitement that will come to Newport this June.

#53 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

I just found out my daughter is coming from LA with 11 of her friends for her birthday that week. Billed as a Newport vacation with all the partying. I guess I'll be taking them out for some up-close viewing. No matter what, that will be a busy period for housing on Aquidneck Island (Newport, Middletown & Portsmouth).

Left Hook should find out if Roger William's University will rent out rooms during that period. It's a 25 minute drive and right on RIPTA Bus Route 60 to Newport. Here is another place not well know at the North end of Aquidneck Island: http://www.foundersb...landsuites.com/

WHK,

RWU Does sometimes rent out one of the dormitories in Portsmouth RI as it used to be an old Motel. I have no idea whether it's going to be on option at that point in time. Do keep an eye open for "Bay Point Inn & Conference Center" as a cheap place to stay.

I can't offer any of you my floor as a place to stay as I move out a month and a half before the ACWS.

In exchange for that info can I meet your daughter's friends?

#54 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

WHK,

RWU Does sometimes rent out one of the dormitories in Portsmouth RI as it used to be an old Motel. I have no idea whether it's going to be on option at that point in time. Do keep an eye open for "Bay Point Inn & Conference Center" as a cheap place to stay.

I can't offer any of you my floor as a place to stay as I move out a month and a half before the ACWS.

I think they would find you a little too young for them B). Now let me tell you stories about the Bay Point Inn. When I moved here in 1981 that place was a Ramada Inn and used to have Jello Wrestling for entertainment. Any chance RWU would resurrect that with the co-eds for some local viewing opportunities? It could be added as a must see event during the ACWS in Newport.

#55 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

WHK,

I think they would find you a little too young for them B). Now let me tell you stories about the Bay Point Inn. When I moved here in 1981 that place was a Ramada Inn and used to have Jello Wrestling for entertainment. Any chance RWU would resurrect that with the co-eds for some local viewing opportunities? It could be added as a must see event during the ACWS in Newport.

I can neither confirm nor deny rumors that the Jell-o Wrestling continued after the property changed hands.

#56 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

new

#57 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

at http://www.islandpac...o-speak-on.html

Tom Ehman, a veteran of the America's Cup yacht race, will speak April 20 on Hilton Head Island.
Ehman, who also is vice commodore of San Francisco's Golden Gate Yacht Club, will provide an update on plans for the next America's Cup, which will be in 2013 in San Francisco Bay.
Ehman will speak from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Visual and Performing Arts Center at Hilton Head Island High School. Admission is free.

#58 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

There was just a bit on the 9:30 Fox News in Boston about the ACWS in Newport. Nothing more than in the report you posted. It did have some decent onboard video from the boats but that's about it.

#59 BIAM

BIAM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

Tent camping on the lawn of NYYC is always an option...

tell the lawn boys that you are a friend of Clean, and that he told you it was okay to pitch you tent there...

#60 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

an interesting obit

Robert A. Connell
http://narragansett....ica-s-cup-racer

http://thetriton.com...e-surveyor-dies

#61 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Am planning on coming down from Boston to watch either on Thursday or Friday. An SA meetup might be worth doing.

#62 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Apparently the venue visit in Newport is not free, except for the practice racing: http://www.americasc...rt-USA/Tickets/

Just for info, since I have visited just a few regattas yet: Is it normal that spectators have to pay to visit a regatta village?

#63 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Apparently the venue visit in Newport is not free, except for the practice racing: http://www.americasc...rt-USA/Tickets/

Just for info, since I have visited just a few regattas yet: Is it normal that spectators have to pay to visit a regatta village?

Was about to post that. Anybody know the details on the Jamestown-Newport ferry tickets? Is that just a ferry from Jamestown to Newport (avoid downtown traffic) or will it be a spectator boat?

#64 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Sure its normal. Especially in these trying economic times. Local governments need all the juice they can get. And if its not the local goverment charging up front, then the event organizers need to do it to pay whatever fee the local's are charging for the right to have the regatta village take up space. Hell, in the state I love so much (Maryland) my fine Govenor tried to ram through a 25 cent gas tax increase with gas at the cusp of $4 a gallon. And he almost did it.

#65 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

^
Thanks for the info. Haven't encountered entry fees for regattas yet. Sounds to me like rallye organizers charging fans for entering the service park (which has not happened yet, although two out of approx. 30 German rallye organizers want an entry fee for the spectator areas along the route).

EDIT: So we can assume that we have to enlarge our travel purse to accomodate the entry fee for the LVC/AC village? And this will not be $10 per day, I recon. Phew.

#66 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

^
Thanks for the info. Haven't encountered entry fees for regattas yet. Sounds to me like rallye organizers charging fans for entering the service park (which has not happened yet, although two out of approx. 30 German rallye organizers want an entry fee for the spectator areas along the route).

EDIT: So we can assume that we have to enlarge our travel purse to accomodate the entry fee for the LVC/AC village? And this will not be $10 per day, I recon. Phew.

My brother-in-law just got transfered to Newport with the CG so once he is done his training in Norfolk I will start pressing him for whatever info he can gather about the Newport event.

#67 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

I heard it's going to be just 10 bucks per day to watch Match Races, but 50 for the Fleets?

:)

Don't know what if any entrance fees are normal for Fort Adams State Park, they're certainly not free in my state.

#68 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

0$, according to my Google search at least.

http://www.riparks.com/fortadams.htm
http://www.oldportma...ring_rental.htm

<<Current Fees: No entrance fee
As of July 1, 1998 there will no longer be entrance fees charged at Rhode Island State Parks, although parking fees will still be in effect at the Rhode Island State Beaches. All fees for Picnics and other Park Use still apply. Call the Park Permit Office for further information.

Soccer and Rugby Field Rentals: "LEAGUE PLAY ONLY" For Ages 17 and over - $25.00 per 2 hours. For youth under 17 - $35.00 for a 10 game maximum [ $5.00 additional/ game]

Alofsin Activities Center Rental: Entire Building [includes coin operated showers].

Overnight Parking: [cars only- no camping, no RV's]
Residents - $3.00 per night Non-Residents - $6.00 per night

Season Parking Permits:
Residents - $35.00 per year Non -Residents - $70.00 per year>>

#69 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

^ Unusual, and nice, for a State Park to be free.

I imagine the ACWS entry fee is going to some local cause, not the State. Maybe Brad (?) Reed's sailing foundation, think he is Puma helmsman Ken's brother.

#70 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

For the time being I imagine the ACWS money is going into ACWS' pockets, but I am looking forward to being proven wrong.

#71 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

0$, according to my Google search at least.

http://www.riparks.com/fortadams.htm
http://www.oldportma...ring_rental.htm

<<Current Fees: No entrance fee
As of July 1, 1998 there will no longer be entrance fees charged at Rhode Island State Parks, although parking fees will still be in effect at the Rhode Island State Beaches. All fees for Picnics and other Park Use still apply. Call the Park Permit Office for further information.

Soccer and Rugby Field Rentals: "LEAGUE PLAY ONLY" For Ages 17 and over - $25.00 per 2 hours. For youth under 17 - $35.00 for a 10 game maximum [ $5.00 additional/ game]

Alofsin Activities Center Rental: Entire Building [includes coin operated showers].

Overnight Parking: [cars only- no camping, no RV's]
Residents - $3.00 per night Non-Residents - $6.00 per night

Season Parking Permits:
Residents - $35.00 per year Non -Residents - $70.00 per year>>

The date in this is 1998. Things have a tendency to change. If Newport is smart there will be no entry fee to the event village, but this information is 14 years old. If anything you will have to pay to park. Something. There is money to be made off this event and people will find ways of doing it.

#72 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hoggie, I haven't found any other info, but several sources on the 0$. In the end what do I care, I will not be there. But the subtitle of this thread hinted at expenses, so I thought to provide some info. That the AC is more commercialized than ever is no secret, and it comes with no real surprise that - especially after the budget cut for 2012 and still no series sponsors in sight - ACWS has to find additional funding to spending LE's money. I'm just happy that the regattas (even the "high profile" ones) I visit are free. Maybe because due to the commercialization the organizers realize that they are actually advertizing events, and that getting people to attend at all is more worth than charging a couple of €s.

BTW, http://www.riparks.com/fortadams.htm is the official site (copyright 2009) and there is no reason not to believe that FA resp. the state has changed the no entry fee policy.

#73 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

My guess is that ACEA is not who wants the fee and my opinion is that regardless the cause, $10 is good value if you look at all the arrangements. That's just Cheap.

#74 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hoggie, I haven't found any other info, but several sources on the 0$. In the end what do I care, I will not be there. But the subtitle of this thread hinted at expenses, so I thought to provide some info. That the AC is more commercialized than ever is no secret, and it comes with no real surprise that - especially after the budget cut for 2012 and still no series sponsors in sight - ACWS has to find additional funding to spending LE's money. I'm just happy that the regattas (even the "high profile" ones) I visit are free. Maybe because due to the commercialization the organizers realize that they are actually advertizing events, and that getting people to attend at all is more worth than charging a couple of €s.

BTW, http://www.riparks.com/fortadams.htm is the official site (copyright 2009) and there is no reason not to believe that FA resp. the state has changed the no entry fee policy.

Sorry Renny, you just hit a sore spot for me. Just tired of getting gouged for crap.

#75 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

My guess is that ACEA is not who wants the fee and my opinion is that regardless the cause, $10 is good value if you look at all the arrangements. That's just Cheap.

But it doesn't even include a meal, t-shirt or hat Posted Image

#76 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

I have no idea who will get the money in the end, and apparently nobody here has. But I would like to know... facts and not guesswork. $10 is not too much for someone earning like I do, I agree. I could even take out a large family without having to run to the bank asking for a mortgage. But spending $40 for a family of 4 in these economic times (they do not only apply to ACEA) for something that you can have for free in other series may be a dubious political decision. OTOH, they who cannot even afford this entry fee may not be the target group of the AC anyway, so no need to cater to them, right?

But you'll get access to buying a meal, t-shirt and/or hat. Isn't that something? Posted Imageas_well

#77 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Kids under 12 get free admittance:

Text from the AC email:

The America's Cup World Series Newport event from Tuesday, June 26 -- Sunday, July 1 will be based at Fort Adams State Park in Newport, R.I. The schedule is set for practice racing on June 26 & 27, and AC World Series Championship Racing from June 28 to July 1.

Fans will experience a unique view of the team bases where the AC45s with their 70-foot fixed wing-sails will be launched each day. The AC Village will offer a fantastic vantage point for spectators, with racing unfolding just yards offshore in the East Passage of Narragansett Bay. The full race course map can be found here.

General admission tickets during race days (June 28 - July 1) are on sale now for $10 per person per day, with children 12 and under free. No tickets are required from June 23 - 27.

To purchase tickets, go to: AmericasCup.FrontgateTickets.com.

We hope to see you in Newport!

#78 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

^
You're right. That's good.

In that discussion I lost the focus a bit. Does anyone know ~why~ all of a sudden there is an entry fee to be paid, while the EU venues and also SD could be visited for free?

#79 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yes - they're using Newport to subsidize the EU because only rich people live and go to Newport. SD is in that third world country of CA and also needs to be subsidized.
:ph34r:

#80 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

^

In that discussion I lost the focus a bit. Does anyone know ~why~ all of a sudden there is an entry fee to be paid, while the EU venues and also SD could be visited for free?

Their were areas in SD aside from VIP access areas that you had to pay to enter as well - prime bleacher seating on the pier front, but you could also watch for free in several areas.

#81 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

^

Ten bucks doesn't get you much these days. Here in Auckland, a sandwich and a cup of coffee if you're lucky. Cheapest seats at a weekly Super 15 rugby game are typically $20 to $25. And two to three times that amount for a seat in covered stands with a good mid-field view.

There will be other charges for access to Fort Adams. Fee for parking is $20. If you use the harbour shuttle launch from the Newport waterfront it's $10 for all day (ie, coming and going) or $6 per ride. Same price for kids and adults. And you'll still have to pay for parking in Newport.

If you're coming from Jamestown, ferry is $26 per and it includes parking in Jamestown. However no info on the booking page as to whether it is round-trip or one-way. At that price, hopefully its round-trip.

I'd say there is an entry fee because the unique nature of the Newport event with it's limited access by land and sea permits entry fees. Provides some income and the ability to control crowds. Yes, there will likely be crowds.

What intrigues me most is where the income goes. I have to guess it's to offset setup costs to keep the pols in Providence happy.

#82 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

^ I saw in one recent Newport piece the LOC is also putting bleacher seats in; among a list of other preps. There's a lot that will be going on at Fort Adams.

Seems I can't leave home without spending a fair amount, $10 is practically nothing in the big-picture almost no matter what you do.

ACWSSanFrancisco will, like SD and probably Newport too, have plenty of no-charge vantage points - just as SWS described.

#83 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

As far as Plymouth went, there was no way you could prevent people viewing it for free, even if you wanted to. We have laws that provide for public rights of way and well-organised pressure groups that (rightly) challenge most attempts to mess with them. There's a right of way that (more or less) runs right around Plymouth Sound.

#84 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

from Next Stop, Newport: http://www.americasc...t-Rhode-Island/

Packing is well underway in Venice, Italy as the America's Cup World Series prepares to leave Europe and head for the east coast of the United States for the final event of the 2011-12 season.

Team and event staff have been busy since Sunday evening breaking down the Venice site in the Arsenale.

Loading of the MV Dolfijngracht will take place on Friday and Saturday, with 158 pieces of cargo to go aboard, including boats and shipping containers, ahead of a scheduled departure on Sunday.

The trip to the east coast is expected to take less than two weeks, with an ETA of June 11.

Unloading will start immediately and the America's Cup World Series cargo could begin to arrive at the Fort Adams site as early as June 12.

#85 RMK

RMK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Would be interesting if SHC has both his C class cats out sailing around. He said he might if they are done.

#86 Pesky's Pole

Pesky's Pole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

The entry fees go to the ac. That is what has been reported anyway.

#87 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

I have no idea who will get the money in the end, and apparently nobody here has. But I would like to know... facts and not guesswork. $10 is not too much for someone earning like I do, I agree. I could even take out a large family without having to run to the bank asking for a mortgage. But spending $40 for a family of 4 in these economic times (they do not only apply to ACEA) for something that you can have for free in other series may be a dubious political decision. OTOH, they who cannot even afford this entry fee may not be the target group of the AC anyway, so no need to cater to them, right?

But you'll get access to buying a meal, t-shirt and/or hat. Isn't that something? Posted Imageas_well

I bet you don't even get a kiss, either................................

#88 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

from

One man's trash is another man's America's Cup treasure!
Check out this video from the the Providence Journal about a Rhode Island man who purchased a trophy for $19.99 from a thrift store. He later found out the trophy is an America's Cup trophy replica and is worth over $30,000! Now that is a winning trophy!

5.15.2012: Billy Vigeant of Johnston purchased a replica of the America's Cup trophy several months ago at a thrift store for $19.99. He says he later discovered its one of only a few reproductions and worth more than $30,000. A Rhode Island appraiser, Steven Fusco, of Estates Unlimited, of Cranston, believes the trophy to be authentic.

Providence Journal video by Steve Szydlowski

#89 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Safety zone regs
http://newportyachts...-business-news/

#90 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

from
http://www.newportri...1a4bcf887a.html

“With all this wonderful technology for video viewing, is it even worth it to go out to Fort Adams to see the races?” a man asked from the audience.
“The right answer is to go out to Fort Adams where you can see the races both on the Event Authority’s big screen and live offshore,” Honey said.

#91 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

Here's one of the Pre-race events http://www.sailnewpo...hchallenge.html - great that they are trying to build on the event.

It will be very interesting to observe the different way things are done in Newport vs say Venice.

For example I don't remember too much of this in Italy...

Boaters on the water, it said, will have limited views due to the wide safety zone. http://newportyachts...-business-news/

Posted Image

#92 bowgeezer

bowgeezer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

Back when the UBS cup races were held in Newport with the AC class, I was astounded but stoked that no admission was charged at Ft. Adams and that the event was run solely on the backs of the sponsors. Viewing was great and was able to stand arms length away from the Auld Mug which was quite a thrill for a life long AC fan. Well, the economy has changed quite a bit since then. But it showed me that the event can indeed be viewed from the shoreline and as long as the traffic management and logistics are handled in a sane fashion (something Newport has had plenty of experience from Tall Ships events, etc.)
I'm willing to spend $10 to be able to watch the races while sipping a cold bevvie with my family on the lawn at Ft. Adams. Now if the shoreline is packed with bleachers with "premium VIP seating" costing a ton more money and the only vantage points are pre-sold and offered to the corporate stiffs, I'm going to be pissed being charged $10 for being added to the "great unwashed" with limited viewing.

#93 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Back when the UBS cup races were held in Newport with the AC class, I was astounded but stoked that no admission was charged at Ft. Adams and that the event was run solely on the backs of the sponsors. Viewing was great and was able to stand arms length away from the Auld Mug which was quite a thrill for a life long AC fan. Well, the economy has changed quite a bit since then. But it showed me that the event can indeed be viewed from the shoreline and as long as the traffic management and logistics are handled in a sane fashion (something Newport has had plenty of experience from Tall Ships events, etc.)
I'm willing to spend $10 to be able to watch the races while sipping a cold bevvie with my family on the lawn at Ft. Adams. Now if the shoreline is packed with bleachers with "premium VIP seating" costing a ton more money and the only vantage points are pre-sold and offered to the corporate stiffs, I'm going to be pissed being charged $10 for being added to the "great unwashed" with limited viewing.

As they have a new 'partner' to handle this aspect - I guess no one knows what to expect exactly. But at the other events they seem to have tried to cater to both the 'stiffs' and the 'plebs'.

#94 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

#95 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Ok - what have I missed? Newport the 'climax to the first AC World Series'

Since when?

#96 Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

Since when?

It's the last regatta of the 2011-2012 ACWS season. The ACWS 2012-2013 season starts in San Francisco in August and includes SF (Aug & Oct), Venice (April), Naples (May). http://www.americasc...2013-AC-Events/

#97 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Since when?

It's the last regatta of the 2011-2012 ACWS season. The ACWS 2012-2013 season starts in San Francisco in August and includes SF (Aug & Oct), Venice (April), Naples (May). http://www.americasc...2013-AC-Events/

Quite the " world " series , San Fran AND Italy :)

#98 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

(plus one for each mark rounding, the finish and the speed trial)

Posted Image

Boats to stay in the water (Thurs 28 - Sun 01), only to haul out if damaged, there is a need to work on media equipment on land, or if the whole fleet comes out for bad weather. No cleaning allowed except in the water.
http://noticeboard.americascup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/RN121-Haul-Out-Restrictions-During-ACWS-Newport.pdf

#100 bowgeezer

bowgeezer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

You'll also need to spend $20 to park at Ft. Adams so you can haul your tee shirts and AC swag home with you. Additionally, saw that coolers and alcoholic beverages could not be brought on site. That should keep the riff raff out of Ft. Adams. I'm going to see Brad Read tonight since he's speaking at our YC and will ask about the dispersion of funds. I suspect the cost of renting a state park for a few weeks may factor into the budget somehow..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users