• Please log in to reply
978 replies to this topic

#901 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

^ HHN, yes, but there's just so much going on. No matter what they focus on you're missing the rest of the action.

I dvr'd the races. Watching again as I write the comments if I am someone who has not followed this I have no clue to what or why on what the competition is.

ESPN did a great job back in the day educating the public on what the races were about, what the courses were, some of the basic rules, who the players are and some handicapping the various teams. This needs something in the same vein as most of that old audience is long gone, and the game has changed so much. The casual Sunday pm crowd that tuned-in would be clueless to what was happening. The action was good, lots of it looked excitng, but they did not know what for. ESPN would show the America and a brief description of the Cup, then something about the early races, then the big boats up to Reliance, then the J-boats, and finally on to the current (at the time) 12m's. You were given a sense of what was going on.

"What's on honey? I am not sure, but some guys are running around on the water in the fast boats, but I am not sure why. Oh...................."

It's there, the trail has been blazed, and with a little updating for current times would help to build the audience again. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Aren't you forgetting the 94 episodes (45 screened so far) of.....Posted Image

I hear ya, but I am referring to someone who popped it on cold turkey, with none of the history.

#902 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

As I said the other day, they should absolutely have more action, going on. Consolation racing for the match racing is one of the most obvious options, give the teams that need the most practice time match racing cats the opportunity to do so.

My guess is, down the road, the events will get bigger, with the Youth Racing component thrown in.

At the moment AFAIK the RB Youth AC is planned as a one off regatta for S.F. in AC45s - in between events there for the 72s.

#903 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

RI's America's Cup World Series drew nearly 60,000

Updated 10:04 a.m., Monday, July 2, 2012
NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) — Nearly 60,000 people attended the America's Cup World Series in Newport that ended over the weekend.

The Rhode Island Economic Development Corp. announced Monday that 59,882 people turned out for the nine-day sailing event that ended Sunday.

State officials said they hoped for at least 50,000 visitors. An initial projection predicted as many as 90,000.

Top sailing teams from around the world competed in the regatta, based at Fort Adams State Park. It was the final leg of the inaugural World Series, a sequence of races launched to lead up to the 34th America's Cup race in San Francisco next year.

State officials say the event helped promote Rhode Island as a tourist destination. The final races on Sunday were televised nationally on NBC.

#904 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Anybody who was there want to take a guess at the no. of

1) total spectator boats
2) super yachts, specifically boats >70 feet?

Thanks

I will take a guess KK, but keep in mind I was only there Thur. and Sat. And I was sauced up pretty good on Sat. based on my live commentary.

Thur. I would say there were 300 to 400 spectator boats with around 10 70+ footers. Saturday was double at least. Saturday there were a shit load of boats out on the water. To the point OR5 almost ran some of them over trying to get into the dock to repair their Fleet Race #1 damage.

WetHog :ph34r:

#905 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

Anybody who was there want to take a guess at the no. of

1) total spectator boats
2) super yachts, specifically boats >70 feet?

Thanks

I will take a guess KK, but keep in mind I was only there Thur. and Sat. And I was sauced up pretty good on Sat. based on my live commentary.

Thur. I would say there were 300 to 400 spectator boats with around 10 70+ footers. Saturday was double at least. Saturday there were a shit load of boats out on the water. To the point OR5 almost ran some of them over trying to get into the dock to repair their Fleet Race #1 damage.

Thanks Hoggy and I enjoyed your videos!
How were the strawberries?

#906 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

Strawberries were already picked clean. Got a couple little baskets of rasberries, a jar of rasberry jam (my favorite), and a bottle of simply delicious orange cream soda from a local company (damn good). And I added to my sunburn. Also did the cliff walk and saw some stupidily fabulous mansions. Finally, almost got run over by Richard Hatch while trying to cross the street outside The Breakers. I had a fucking blast!

Having said all that, time for a brief critique of the ACWS Newport:

Racing: I loved it. Sure most races were decided at the start, but tell me what AC related races aren't? Difference with the AC45's is they are crazy fast and the possibility of whoever is in the lead fucking up is real (Just ask Mr. Coutts after his Fleet Race fuck up yesterday). If I was watching IACC yachts on Saturday I would of been picked up for public intoxication because I would have sucked that Bar on the point dry of all its fabulous Bud Bottles waiting for the races to end.

The Boats Simply bad ass. On Thursday I caught a glimps of all 8 boats on their mourings from downtown Newport on the way to the Fort and I got a shiver up my spine. When I first saw them up close on Thursday I simply lost it and started prancing around trying to get pictures of them, my wife can testify to that. Then seeing them in action made all my misgivings about the AC in cats go away immediately. The boats are wicked (local lingo rubbed off on me) fast and any questions I had about their manuverability in match racing conditions was wiped away. Simply put, the size/scale and speed of these boats is awsome. I am sold on cats in the AC, to a point. ;)

My one reservation about cats in the AC after witnessing the ACWS Newport event in person is what the 72's will bring to the show. Sure they will be double what the 45's are, and that will be cool, but the 72's won't be OD boats. As some have pointed out, in the 45's a lot of the time the boat in the lead at the start won. Whats going to happen when it becomes clear one (or maybe two) team hits the right design of their 72's and the rest didn't? Its going to make the ass kicking Spithill put on the field in Fleet Race #1 on Saturday look like a neck and neck race. Me personally, I could watch the 45's sail in single file line all day and it would be awsome because those boats are just so damn cool to watch in person, but ass kicking after ass kicking in 72's will not bring eyes to TV screens.

Venue: Fabulous. Fort Adams was a perfect location for the races. As you could see from my videos and pictures, I had a front row seat, and so did thousands of my friends, and I never got wet or had to get on the water. My only gripe was the limited means of getting to the Fort. By car it was fine, but it was $20 a pop to park. Water Taxi was impossible because there were 2 Water Taxi's, or at least it seemed like it. The lines for the Water Taxi's both in Newport and at the Fort were crazy long. Riding a bike in was surely the best way to go, but then if I had a dollar for every close call I saw, or was a part of, between a bike rider and a car I would of had enough money to buy a six pack of the $6 Buds I loved so much at that the Bar on the point. I would love to know how many bike riders got clipped by a car. I am sure some did. Can't see how they couldn't have.

One obvious missed opportunity was the use of the inside of the Fort. Inside Fort Adams is huge and could of been used a lot better than what it was. Inside was a row of food stands, maybe 8 food vendors, of various types and every one of them did their part in gouging us fans. $3 for a 12 oz can of Coke, and $8 for a beef brisket sandwich that was more fat than beef is not what I call value for the money. More food vendors and more shade for us fans to relax would of been fabulous, especially considering signs saying "NO COOLERS" were placed in every possible spot heading to the Fort in all directions. Also, the one video screen to see the video feed of the racing was too small. They should of had a bigger video screen inside the fort with a big ass tent for old folk and parents with small kids to get a break from the sun. There was a large tent inside the Fort, but it had displays and such, no place to sit. There were a bunch of wooden picnic tables to sit at, but they were not under tents. So I had to roast while I ate my roasted sandwich.

My final comment about the venue. I do not need to be hounded by every volunteer for the ACWS that I run into about if I have a ticket for the event before I even get close to the place where I need a frigging ticket to enter. Both Thursday and Saturday I was stopped at least 15 times by volunteers demanding (in a nice way) to see my ticket to make sure I had a ticket for that days event. One time, no bullshit, I had 3 volunteers line up behind each other to ask to see my ticket while I was busy trying to get my double stroller put together so I could get down to the water to see the friggin boat race. It was beyond stupid.

Newport Its a really neat town. Being born, raised, and still living in Annapolis I felt right at home in Newport. All the history, both American and America's Cup, within a short walk or drive is fabulous. From downtown Newport to Mansion Row, to picking rasberries, to feeding cracked out goats its a great vacation destination for anyone on the east coast. Even better is the weather. For my entire trip the temp never got over 85 degrees and their was always a steady breeze blowing. My brother in law's 5 year old house has no central air because its not needed. He told me the week or so before temps got close to 90 degrees and their was a run on window unit AC's at the local Home Depot. Considering it was 100+ degrees back in Annapolis while I was gone, Newport was heaven.

In conslusion I would consider the ACWS Newport event a success. Access to the pits and the views from the shore were great, and the town of Newport is great. If the ACWS returns to Newport I will be in attendence.

#907 Hwyl

Hwyl

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

Anyone know why Energy sailed in amongst the spectator fleet before the start, it was ballsy but a little silly

Posted Image

#908 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

Anyone know why Energy sailed in amongst the spectator fleet before the start, it was ballsy but a little silly

Posted Image

Based on Mr. Peyron's comments about a lack of racing and/or practice at the Newport event I think he was bored and needed something to challenge his crew.

Both Artemis and Energy sailed by their moorings after racing on Saturday and decided to cruise threw the moorings between the Fort and Newport at a high rate of speed. There are a shit load of moorings, and boats, between the Fort and Newport so I would imagine the crews on those boats got one hell of a challenge manuvering their hard wing boats, with the stiff breeze that was blowing on Saturday, while dodging both moored and moving boats. I thought to myself both teams had lost their marbles to attempt such a feet and figured a collision, or two, was all but garunteed.

#909 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

fabulous Bud Bottles waiting for the races to end.

Hogster, you need to find some better beer.

Take a trip to Canada.

Outside the US, Budweiser is popularly known as weasel piss.

#910 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

Strawberries were already picked clean. Got a couple little baskets of rasberries, a jar of rasberry jam (my favorite), and a bottle of simply delicious orange cream soda from a local company (damn good). And I added to my sunburn. Also did the cliff walk and saw some stupidily fabulous mansions. Finally, almost got run over by Richard Hatch while trying to cross the street outside The Breakers. I had a fucking blast!

Having said all that, time for a brief critique of the ACWS Newport:

In conslusion I would consider the ACWS Newport event a success. Access to the pits and the views from the shore were great, and the town of Newport is great. If the ACWS returns to Newport I will be in attendence.

Thanks for the detailed trip report, and glad to hear you enjoyed it so much as the latest convert to cats in the AC.

I also had reservations early on, until June 17th last year while spectating on the water with my crew during a practice session we suddenly found ourselves 100 yards up the weather leg dead center in the course. Both OR 4 and OR 5 split the difference by about 20 feet either side of us and roared by. That's all it took to convince us that this was going to be a welcome and exciting change for the event.

Attached Files

#911 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

Yes. Seeing the boats in action and at speed makes the naysayers converts. At least most of them. There are a LOT of sailing traditionalists in RI and I'd be curious to hear where they were and what they thought of the ACWS.

But again, Yes. Seeing the boats in person and the speeds at which they can go, is just Wowsome.

#912 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

But again, Yes. Seeing the boats in person and the speeds at which they can go, is just Wowsome.

Glad you think so. Watching them from Plymouth Hoe, in good breeze, I thought - this is still slower than suburban traffic moves and I wonder how many non-sailors would regard them as fast.

#913 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Glad you think so. Watching them from Plymouth Hoe, in good breeze, I thought - this is still slower than suburban traffic moves and I wonder how many non-sailors would regard them as fast.

Watching them in Cascais hasn't ignited a spark, apparently also not with many of the spectators. After all the ACEA hype ("Sailing like there's never been before" or something like that) expectations ran too high. From a spectating PoV it's not too different to the EXSS, and the stadium racing concept (not feasible in Cascais, because there was only little to no wind in the stadium) is nothing new either. Yes, the wing is different, but in the end its the wind that collides with a piece of fabric, and this pushes the boat.

#914 Albatros

Albatros

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Watching them in Cascais hasn't ignited a spark, apparently also not with many of the spectators. After all the ACEA hype ("Sailing like there's never been before" or something like that) expectations ran too high. From a spectating PoV it's not too different to the EXSS, and the stadium racing concept (not feasible in Cascais, because there was only little to no wind in the stadium) is nothing new either. Yes, the wing is different, but in the end its the wind that collides with a piece of fabric, and this pushes the boat.

so the question is how excitable you are ? no surprise then that you and Dogwatch are a bit cooler about it than the Hogster, eh ? B) (taking my coat now, leaping for the door)

#915 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I'm quite excitable about big boats without prior hype. DZ, big tris in general, even v5s, and the Volvo Open 70s. The EXSS excites me because the concept they invented was new, the venues absolutely crazy, the boats as such not so much. The ACWS just borrowed the concept, while being as crazy as the EXSS is apparently not feasible for them.
Well, everybody has his/her preferences, some like to watch toy boats and events, others are mot into the adult stuff - haha.

#916 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

How excitable am I? Well, some of my crew have said I'm reassuringly cool, calm and collected. I suppose the other side of the coin is no, I'm not that excitable.

But I helped run a regatta for these guys at the weekend (not alas at Garda) and to me, they were a damn sight more exciting to watch than the ACWS.

Posted Image

#917 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Like I said in an earlier post, I had a great time on Saturday at the ACWS in Newport.

I finally watched the NBC coverage on my DVR last night. Here's my .02 - It wasn't that bad considering how bad it's been in the past. Like my sailing skills, there's still a lot of room for improvement.

I think the biggest disconnect is that it seemed Gary Jobson was commentating based on what he was seeing on tv screens in the booth as opposed to seeing on the course live with his own eyes. So he's obviously going to be handcuffed in how much he can say and what he'll say since he's basically stream of conscious speaking based off of the monitors and not his own perception. That cannot be easy to do and leads to an unbalanced commentary. That said, he would interrupt himself mid-sentence on tactics to tell us what boat we were live-cam from. "Coutts ducking Spithill since the wind is...are there is Terry Hutchinson trimming the main...Coutts has gotten to leeward of Korea...Simon Daubney raising a daggerboard..." Guy just needs to finish his sentences.

In most pro-sports the guys in the booth are calling the action live and the tv production is matched to follow the live action and commentary.

All said, I'm not sure how Mitch Booth did it on youtube thurs-Sat. Was he on course or reading off the monitors.

Not sure how you solve, maybe have the race on a 45 second delay so that the visuals can sync up with commentary? Or put the commentators in a helicopter.

#918 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

Like I said in an earlier post, I had a great time on Saturday at the ACWS in Newport.

I finally watched the NBC coverage on my DVR last night. Here's my .02 - It wasn't that bad considering how bad it's been in the past. Like my sailing skills, there's still a lot of room for improvement.

I think the biggest disconnect is that it seemed Gary Jobson was commentating based on what he was seeing on tv screens in the booth as opposed to seeing on the course live with his own eyes. So he's obviously going to be handcuffed in how much he can say and what he'll say since he's basically stream of conscious speaking based off of the monitors and not his own perception. That cannot be easy to do and leads to an unbalanced commentary. That said, he would interrupt himself mid-sentence on tactics to tell us what boat we were live-cam from. "Coutts ducking Spithill since the wind is...are there is Terry Hutchinson trimming the main...Coutts has gotten to leeward of Korea...Simon Daubney raising a daggerboard..." Guy just needs to finish his sentences.

In most pro-sports the guys in the booth are calling the action live and the tv production is matched to follow the live action and commentary.

All said, I'm not sure how Mitch Booth did it on youtube thurs-Sat. Was he on course or reading off the monitors.

Not sure how you solve, maybe have the race on a 45 second delay so that the visuals can sync up with commentary? Or put the commentators in a helicopter.

In '87 Jobbo was on a big power catamarn that carried hundreds of spectators, so he was commentating on live viewing, with binoculars and a monitor when replays were shown. So, sitting in a booth in Newport he could only comment on what he was seeing on a monitor screen. Several times the shot was changed in the middle of what he was commenting on, so he had to switch in the middle of a sentence. Too much MTV speed scene shifting going on. Can't blame him for that.

#919 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

match race. boring
fleet race. exciting
crowd. grew as event progressed
weather. hot as hell, need more shade area and more than one small beer and wine garden,
venue, spectacular. big screen almost better than actual
town. crowded but lots to look at
win

#920 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

In '87 Jobbo was on a big power catamarn that carried hundreds of spectators, so he was commentating on live viewing, with binoculars and a monitor when replays were shown. So, sitting in a booth in Newport he could only comment on what he was seeing on a monitor screen. Several times the shot was changed in the middle of what he was commenting on, so he had to switch in the middle of a sentence. Too much MTV speed scene shifting going on. Can't blame him for that.

Exactly - wasn't blaming him for trying to do his best with what was given to him. Can't imagine trying come up with coherent commentary when you don't know what image you'll be shown next. If they're going to keep with that production format, they're going to need to sort out some system of informing the commentator on what's going on. Otherwise it's like watching Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

#921 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

^ HHN, yes, but there's just so much going on. No matter what they focus on you're missing the rest of the action.

I dvr'd the races. Watching again as I write the comments if I am someone who has not followed this I have no clue to what or why on what the competition is.

ESPN did a great job back in the day educating the public on what the races were about, what the courses were, some of the basic rules, who the players are and some handicapping the various teams. This needs something in the same vein as most of that old audience is long gone, and the game has changed so much. The casual Sunday pm crowd that tuned-in would be clueless to what was happening. The action was good, lots of it looked excitng, but they did not know what for. ESPN would show the America and a brief description of the Cup, then something about the early races, then the big boats up to Reliance, then the J-boats, and finally on to the current (at the time) 12m's. You were given a sense of what was going on.

"What's on honey? I am not sure, but some guys are running around on the water in the fast boats, but I am not sure why. Oh...................."

It's there, the trail has been blazed, and with a little updating for current times would help to build the audience again. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Aren't you forgetting the 94 episodes (45 screened so far) of.....Posted Image

I hear ya, but I am referring to someone who popped it on cold turkey, with none of the history.

Just for kicks I popped-in my vid of the 1992 match between A Cubed and Il Moro. In 3:45 ESPN gave a synopsis of the Cup form the early 1900's, through the J boats to the 12m's and then the '88 fiasco, onto the new IACC's and the basics of how they were up to what would be the final race of the series. 3:45 out of the current 1:30 program would have explained a lot to the un-educated TV viewer, which considering the down time there was, it would have been time well spent in my book.

SMC, I was just adding to your comment, not aguing against your point.

#922 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,933 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

match race. boring
fleet race. exciting
crowd. grew as event progressed
weather. hot as hell, need more shade area and more than one small beer and wine garden,
venue, spectacular. big screen almost better than actual
town. crowded but lots to look at
win

You must not have beat WH in line....................................:P

#923 cantp1

cantp1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    Skiing
    Squash

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Jimmy spanked'em.

I'm going to ask and I know it's been asked befroe but I haven't seen the answer so there it is. What the hell is the guy behind the rear cross beam boing? Triming the wing?

He is the guest / spectator . Each boat takes one.

That guest is current Soling World Champion Peter Hall from Montreal, QC giving Dean and the boys some advice on capsize recovery... No he didn't get hurt, but now has 1000 stories to tell!

#924 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

fabulous Bud Bottles waiting for the races to end.

Hogster, you need to find some better beer.

Take a trip to Canada.

Outside the US, Budweiser is popularly known as weasel piss.

Please do not assume that my love affair with Bud Bottles means that is all I drink. The venue, my mood, or both dictates the type of beer I enjoy. Hanging at a bar with family and friends I will start my night with a Guiness, then move on to a Black and Tan, and then whatever local brew is recommended by the Bartender. If I am in Annapolis that means one of the fabulous beers made by the fine folks at Fordham. During my stay in Newport that meant, ah shit I can't remember, which means it wasn't very good, IMO. Visiting my Kin in Pennsylvania that means Yuengling or Iron City Beer. For a summertime BBQ or crab feast I will enjoy as many Corona Extra's I can get my mits on. For sporting events, like the ACWS, Bud bottles by the fistfulls.

#925 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

new to me,
--

Spithill’s slingshot start
POSTED ON 03 JULY 2012

Jimmy Spithill showed some great cojones on the start line at ACWS – Newport. At least three times during fleet racing last week he set up at the windward end. As the fleet approached the line he hung a few lengths back waiting for a hole to open, and then slingshot through a narrow gap and onto the racecourse with great speed. It’s a risky maneuver because a competitor to leeward could poke their bows up and “shut the door” and possibly draw a foul.
http://www.americasc...lingshot-start/

#926 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

new to me,
--

Spithill’s slingshot start
POSTED ON 03 JULY 2012

Jimmy Spithill showed some great cojones on the start line at ACWS – Newport. At least three times during fleet racing last week he set up at the windward end. As the fleet approached the line he hung a few lengths back waiting for a hole to open, and then slingshot through a narrow gap and onto the racecourse with great speed. It’s a risky maneuver because a competitor to leeward could poke their bows up and “shut the door” and possibly draw a foul.
http://www.americascup.com/en/Teams/ORACLE-TEAM-USA/Latest/Blog/2012/07-July/Spithills-slingshot-start/

Just like in any sport, JS's competitors will take note of his starts in Newport and address that in the ACWS. No doubt. On the flip side, JS has now put that significant manuver in his competitor's mind, and the opportunity to develop a new start move to take advantage of that is his for the taking.

#927 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

^ Bingo

Among the many benefits of racing in the ACWS that Deano mentioned in the Streuli interview, was learning good reach starting strategies. He probably will be one of the teams watching replays of JS, and JS will realize that, and ETNZ will realize that, etc :)

#928 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Nothing revolutionary about JS's starts, only useful in fleet starts. I think he was a little more willing to engage than others. Having a two boat fleet helps.

#929 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

^ The tide/runway comments are interesting. Not bad an article.

RC v JS for the Newport MR title was effing excellent. The camera work too, just outstanding. And even if the FRs are more entertaining, the way that MR coverage focussed on just the two boats completely solved a lot of the fast-switching that FRs require in trying to keep track of it all.

If JS had not f*cked the furl at the top of L3, that race may have been much tighter; JS going into the right gate and rounding with speed had potential, looked great until it happened.

In the FR, the Piranha overtake of ORC was outstanding on that last leg.

#930 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image

• © ©DANIEL FORSTER/ARTEMIS RACING

ARTEMIS CROWNED ACWS MATCH RACING CHAMPIONS
POSTED ON 01 JULY 2012

Coutts' win over Spithill in the Match Racing finals made Artemis Racing's title official and Artemis was crowned Match Racing Champion for the 2011-2012 America's Cup World Series at this evening's prizegiving.

In the overall standings, Artemis Racing finished third with 82 points behind Emirates Team New Zealand (93 points) in second place and winners ORACLE Team USA Spithill (102 points).

As with all ACWS events, the race for all the points is the Super Sunday fleet race. Challenging conditions saw plenty of lead changes today, but it was Luna Rossa Piranha with Chris Draper at the helm who took the top prize. Artemis battled through the fleet but an incident at the second windward mark rounding, which later saw ORACLE Team USA Coutts penalized, dealt a tough blow to the team which was difficult to recover from. Artemis finished 7th.

"Winning the ACWS Match Racing Championships is great, but I have to admit it is a little bit bittersweet after today's race. It is a nice milestone for the team but we have a lot of work to do," said Skipper Terry Hutchinson (USA). "There are certain aspects of our programme that are really good and certain areas where we can improve. We have 14 months to do it and I'm looking forward to the challenge."

Training and preparations for the 34th America's Cup continue for Artemis Racing, meanwhile the next event is the RC44 Sweden Cup (18-22 July) in Marstrand followed by the America's Cup World Series in San Francisco from 21-26 August.

#931 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Posted Image

Second overall for ACWS Season

POSTED ON 02 JULY 2012

Emirates Team New Zealand has ended the inaugural season of the America's Cup World Series in second place overall.

Battling as Series of mishaps at the final Newport regatta and an indifferent performance in the triple points fleet race the team held its place on the leaderboard.

But it was a disappointing end to the Newport regatta. After injuries to two members of the front-line AC45 sailing crew, a collision with a mark boat and a damaging capsize, the team yesterday looked like it was coming right.

With a third and a first in the two fleet races held, the team was feeling more confident. But the performance today, not helped by another broken dagger board lifting pole, was indifferent.

Skipper Dean Barker said: "We had our opportunities but did not capitalise on them. We have no excuses. We did not do well enough on the day."

#932 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

Posted Image

• © © ACEA 2012/ PHOTO GILLES MARTIN-RAGET

ENERGY TEAM KEEP THEIR PLACE ON THE FLEET RACING PODIUM
POSTED ON 01 JULY 2012

A tricky day for Energy Team, who after suffering from a problem with their gennaker finished in eighth place in the big fleet race on Super Sunday, which closed the AC45 World series in Newport. A result which was not quite up to what we had come to expect from the French team, but nevertheless was enough to see them keep their third place in the overall 2011-2012 fleet racing championship. We look back at the final race, which took place in Newport.

The eight AC45s got off to a clean start in a wind blowing at around ten knots. Slightly behind the frontrunners, Energy Team was in seventh place at the first mark. But the French enjoyed a good downwind leg: they moved up a place and rounded mark 2 in sixth place. So then it was off sailing upwind for the next leg. The crew led by Loïck Peyron were at the rear, but Artemis Racing (Terry Hutchinson) and Oracle Team USA Spithill (James Spithill) were still very close. At the front, Oracle Team USA Coutts (Russell Coutts) and Luna Rossa Swordfish (Paul Campbell-James) were engaged in a great duel.

The fleet remained grouped together, and no one really stood out or appeared to be out of the running for the podium. So it was still all to play for the French team, who showed earlier this week in Newport that they were capable of a remarkable recovery. That was to be confirmed as they were back up to fifth place by mark 3. Another move up in the next downwind leg and by mark 4 only Oracle Team USA Coutts and the two Luna Rossa boats were ahead of Energy Team. They were still in with a chance of a place on the podium, but needed to keep an eye on those chasing them, particularly when the French boat got a penalty, which was to cost them dearly, as they were back in sixth place at mark 5. During the next two legs, there was little change for Loïck Peyron and his men. At the front, Luna Rossa Piranha (Chris Draper) and Oracle Team USA Coutts extended their lead over the rest of the fleet. Unless there was a major upset, victory would go to one of these two boats.

The final downwind leg would prove to be decisive for Energy Team, who were determined to cling on to sixth place, in spite of the pressure from ETNZ and Artemis Racing. Unfortunately, the French then had a bit of a problem with their gennaker and lost a lot of ground. It was a real punishment as they were unable to make up for what they had lost and so finished in eighth place in this race, which was won by Luna Rossa Piranha ahead of Oracle Team USA Coutts and Luna Rossa Swordfish. This was clearly a disappointing result, but it was enough to enable the French to keep their place on the fleet racing podium at the end of this 2011-2012 season.

#933 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Posted Image

• © PHOTO: © LUNA ROSSA/CARLO BORLENGHI

ACWS NEWPORT, LUNA ROSSA FIRST OVERALL IN THE FLEET RACE AND THIRD IN THE MATCH RACE
POSTED ON 01 JULY 2012

Luna Rossa Challenge today won the final event of the 2011-2012 America's Cup World Series (fleet racing ranking).

The Luna Rossa Piranha crew, with Chris Draper (helmsman), Francesco Bruni (wing trimmer), Pierluigi de Felice (trimmer), Nick Hutton (trimmer) and Dave Carr (freestyler), took a win in the final fleet race and earned the 30 points necessary to reach the podium as winners of the overall event scoreboard.

It was clear that both Luna Rossa AC45 catamarans were ready to fight for the podium from the moment they crossed the starting line: Luna Rossa Swordfish chose the committee boat and Piranha started on pinhead. At the first mark Oracle-Coutts was at the head of the fleet, with both Luna Rossa catamarans close behind. On the second downwind leg Luna Rossa Piranha, in a good controlling position with respect to its American rival, overtook Oracle - Coutts and took the lead. From the downind leg onwards Draper’s boat kept a comfortable advantage and defended his position up to the finish line.

Luna Rossa Swordfish, with a strong comeback, alternated its position between second and third place throughout the regatta and finally crossed the finish line third at only 7 seconds from Oracle-Coutts.

“We sailed well today – declared Max Sirena (skipper of Luna Rossa Challenge 2013) – we didn’t have a good week but in spite of this the team reacted as hoped and achieved an excellent result, both in the fleet and match races in which we placed third.”

In the Newport fleet race event Luna Rossa Piranha came in first and Luna Rossa Swordfish fifth.

Patrizio Bertelli, in Newport for the induction to the America's Cup Hall of Fame ceremony, was doubly pleased to witness the victory of Luna Rossa in this Newport event.

The match race final was sailed between the two Oracle boats: James Spithill was beaten by Russell Coutts. The match race ranking therefore shows Coutts first, followed by team-mate Spithill, with Luna Rossa Piranha (Chris Draper/Francesco Bruni) in third place.

Team Luna Rossa’s next race event will be in the America's Cup World Series 2012-2013 to will take place in San Francisco (USA) from August 21st to August 26th.

#934 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

ORACLE TEAM USA’S COUTTS, SPITHILL, KOSTECKI CAST AN EYE TOWARDS THE SUMMER
POSTED ON 01 JULY 2012

ORACLE TEAM USA CEO Russell Coutts stood giving an interview to a reporter, reflecting on the final day of racing at ACWS – Newport when team skipper Jimmy Spithill sidled up next to him.

“Nice work you old bugger. Hey, you still got a few tricks in you. How you feeling, alright?” said Spithill, who turned 33 years old earlier this week and had just been crowned the first-ever America’s Cup World Series overall champion.

“You’re too young to know some of those tricks,” the 50-year-old Coutts shot back with a laugh.

Earlier in the day Coutts had defeated Spithill to win the ACWS – Newport Match Racing Championship. The four time America’s Cup winner then nearly pulled off victory in a thrilling fleet race finale. In a race marked with constant place changes, Coutts showed that he still has a deft touch and steely determination despite having competed little in the past six months.

“We started well in the match race, and that was good. But Jimmy had a couple of problems onboard today, they had a bad furl that killed their race,” Coutts said. “But I’m really mad that we messed up that fleet race. If we were ever going to win a race, that one would’ve been it.”

Although Coutts finished second the day was full of positives for ORACLE TEAM USA, which is gearing up to defend the America’s Cup in San Francisco in September 2013. Spithill placed second in both the ACWS – Newport fleet and match racing championships, the fourth time in six events that his crew has placed on both podiums. And now it adds the America’s Cup World Series trophy alongside the venerable America’s Cup itself, won in 2010.

“I’m pretty happy with the state of everything,” said tactician John Kostecki. “Most importantly the World Series seems a huge success. We’ve been through Europe and now here in the States. I think this Newport regatta was a huge success; it’s a really nice venue here. Each event has gotten better and better. In a few months in San Francisco it’ll be exciting too.”

ORACLE TEAM USA now heads home to its base at Pier 80 in San Francisco for the next four months with a full slate of activities on the schedule. The team’s first AC72 will begin sailing next month, and the first regatta of the 2012-13 America’s Cup World Series is scheduled Aug. 23-26. It’ll be the first time that America’s Cup racing will be featured on the Bay.

“We’re looking forward to getting back home to San Francisco,” said Spithill. “We have some testing sessions coming up and the launch of the first AC72. That’s an exciting time. And when the ACWS kicks off again it’ll be another level of racing that we’ve seen. You’ll see more thrills and spills, and more teams. It’s exciting. I can’t wait to see the event back in our hometown.”

The first ACWS season visited six venues in four countries, and Coutts voiced satisfaction with the state of the game. But he knows that changes are needed to keep improving.

“The America’s Cup World Series is good right now, but we have to take it to the next level and we’ll see some of that in San Francisco later this summer,” said Coutts.

#935 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#936 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#937 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Cute..
--
time we decided to wander around a bit to see if we could find a good spot to watch the opening ceremonies.  As we wandered, we headed into the center of Fort Adams as my friends had not yet checked out that area.  We were pleasantly surprised to see each of the teams grouped together in what had become the staging area for the opening ceremonies.  Those wristbands had worked their magic once again as we were allowed to just stroll in as if we were participants in the ceremonies.  As the teams lined up for their grand entrance, Chris Draper of Luna Rossa headed to the nearby port-o-potties.  His teammates were keeping an eye on him as the time was nearing that they were to head out to the stage.  The moment Chris Draper closed the door to the port-o-potty, the rest of the Luna Rossa team ran over and propped a bench in front of the door, locking Chris Draper inside.  Laughing hysterically, Chris’ team mates ran back to get in line and almost immediately headed out to the stage in the grand procession.  It was great to see these pranksters at work!  (Chris missed the procession but was let out in time to join his team - just before they were announced.)
http://blog.ellenhok...ds-of-gold.html

#938 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Last one?

Posted Image

©DANIELFORSTER/ARTEMIS RACING

#939 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Kinda fun, by Red Bull Soundstage

http://www.redbullso...cup/?autoplay=1

There's a (very) brief clip of the TNZ capsize in it, rare to see that anywhere.

#940 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

Finally got around to watching the Newport match race finals . Was great for about 4 seconds and then the rest was a parade with Jobson Droaning on . I have heard so many people bitching about GJ I am starting to agree with them . I was all about seeing longer races but really would not have minded this one being shorter .

The fleet racing was better but after the GJ standard " look at the grip on that tiller " I had to turn the sound off .

Might have been interesting if the pressure had been bigger but thats sailboat racing :(

#941 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

?? Really??

The fleet race where LRP overtook ORC late on Sunday was outstanding, the racing behind them was too. Agreed about more wind being better but we will get a great measure of that action in SF soon.

Btw, it could be interesting to tally up the points since Naples. Draper/Piranha may well be clear ahead of everyone since they entered.

#942 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

?? Really??

The fleet race where LRP overtook ORC late on Sunday was outstanding, the racing behind them was too. Agreed about more wind being better but we will get a great measure of that action in SF soon.

Btw, it could be interesting to tally up the points since Naples. Draper/Piranha may well be clear ahead of everyone since they entered.

Yes, where Coutts unforced error by penetrating the " boundry " by inches gave it all away. What was he thinking ?

#943 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:58 AM

^ Agreed. But LRP was closing on his heels so fast, and RC made such a good recovery, that it was ~still~ a close race after 9 legs. LRS came on strong at the end too, forced RC to defend for second, I thoroughly enjoyed that race.

Let's face it: It beats the he'll out of one monoslug wining an upwind start after (sometimes) being just in irons for an eternity in a long dialup, and then sitting on the loser out to a very distant layline for an eternity, then dumping on them again and leading to the end. Slowly.

The race you saw had a ~lot~ of mix-it-up tension, it was ~very~ good racing.

#944 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

rose colored hogPosted Image
It's rare to get a solid event report from a non-racer, so here's one: Anarchist "WetHog" and his take on the America's Cup World Series – Newport. For a glimpse at the first American sailboat race with a crowd in a long time, check the Red Bull vid.

from the FP

#945 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

^ Agreed. But LRP was closing on his heels so fast, and RC made such a good recovery, that it was ~still~ a close race after 9 legs. LRS came on strong at the end too, forced RC to defend for second, I thoroughly enjoyed that race.

Let's face it: It beats the he'll out of one monoslug wining an upwind start after (sometimes) being just in irons for an eternity in a long dialup, and then sitting on the loser out to a very distant layline for an eternity, then dumping on them again and leading to the end. Slowly.

The race you saw had a ~lot~ of mix-it-up tension, it was ~very~ good racing.

Do you know the Sprint discipline within track cycling? Guess what, the track stands make it even more interesting. In a way, dial ups always remind me of them.

#946 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

It's rare to get a solid event report from a non-racer, so here's one: Anarchist "WetHog" and his take on the America's Cup World Series – Newport. For a glimpse at the first American sailboat race with a crowd in a long time, check the Red Bull vid.

from the FP

Wow. I got on the FP. Pretty cool, but if I would of known I would of made the FP with my review I would of done a better job articulating my thoughts and observations. Reading that again on the FP I sound like some 12 year old Douche that just came out of a Transformers movie. :lol:

And I know I have more "solid" race reports in me, just need a sponsor, or two. ;) :lol:

#947 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

You've been quoted in a few places WH. Your write up was off the cuff, talking to friends and frankly delighttful. Had you edited it, it may not have had the same spirit.

#948 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Reading that again on the FP I sound like some 12 year old Douche that just came out of a Transformers movie. :lol:

That's why I liked it.

#949 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

+ 1, Classic WH at his heartfelt best :)

#950 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Wow. I got on the FP. Pretty cool, but if I would of known I would of made the FP with my review I would of done a better job articulating my thoughts and observations. Reading that again on the FP I sound like some 12 year old Douche that just came out of a Transformers movie. :lol:

And I know I have more "solid" race reports in me, just need a sponsor, or two. ;) :lol:

Supercool Posted Image.

#951 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

The most honest report I have seen in a while. Great Job WH!

#952 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

from the FP

Oh! I had assumed you already had a sponsor....Posted Image

I guess I got that relationship backwards! Well done - a true Corinthian effortPosted Image

#953 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Finally got home from the east cast and have had time to process my snap shots from Newport. These are just taken with a pocket cam so dont be looking for artsy stuff :) I tried to get some odd ball pics to satisfy some of our detail geeks on the site. Here is the link to the photo page and a few individual shots .

http://s118.photobuc...6/newport ACWS/

Attached Files

#954 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

^
Entertaining pictures, thank you. The second shot is great, and brilliant.

#955 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

^ Agreed, cool shot!

Think I saw it on a personal blog recently, almost posted a link because of that one.

#956 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for posting the link - some great stuff there. You caught the homeless Kiwi brigade helping to strip the wing I see - sad day for them.

I'll post it - just say if you'd rather not though.

Posted Image

#957 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

^ Nice too

In one of Ellen H's blog posts about Newport she suggested that ETNZ had refused ACRM assistance after the capsize, and suggested that it had a lot of heads shaking after how bad it got. Wonder why they did that, if they did? Wierd!

#958 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

^ Nice too

In one of Ellen H's blog posts about Newport she suggested that ETNZ had refused ACRM assistance after the capsize, and suggested that it had a lot of heads shaking after how bad it got. Wonder why they did that, if they did? Wierd!

Yeah, FUBAR indeed. Lucky they missed all the other boats out there for one thing.
When the French - ET? 'flew' their wing up, I just assumed that everyone would cotton on a bit. Probably not directly applicable here though as they had the 'extention-bucket' attachedPosted Image. Still a small inflatable dinghy under the top of the wing couldn't have hurt - and maybe an anchor off one bow to hold her in place while they played 'cats-cradle'?

#959 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

edit: Extension bucket? I forget, what was that?

Yes, by WH's and other descriptions it took an hour, got taken by the tide for almost a mile, almost hit the rocks, and some boats had to weigh anchor to get the f out of the way.

#960 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

Yes, by WH's and other descriptions it took an hour, got taken by the tide for almost a mile, almost hit the rocks, and some boats had to weigh anchor to get the f out of the way.

They said the solid (kevlar) construction of the extension meant that it filled with and then held water (100 gallon bucket!) - and was far too heavy to right.

It seems to me that the top of the mast then essentially acted like a sea anchor and the platform just did cartwheels around it!

#961 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Gotta, the extension.

ET had me confused above, they received that beautiful righting in Plymouth but maybe the E got me going. Anyway..

SF is going to be an AC45 wing killer.

#962 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

It was over a hour and well over a mile . They never lost control of it but the tide did take the procession thru the fleet of onlookers and several did have to move. Most were getting nervous when they were heading toward the bridge supports but they were able to drag it away and finally right it . Everyone thought they had it licked at one point but it went up and then back over again . Hopefully they learned from this. Imagine having a 72 in the same position. Its going to be very interesting to watch ,just what the new " AC fans " will be looking for :)

#963 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for posting the link - some great stuff there. You caught the homeless Kiwi brigade helping to strip the wing I see - sad day for them.

I'll post it - just say if you'd rather not though.

Posted Image

Thanks and post away :) For some reason I kept getting a message saying the files were too big to post on the rest of them. Like I said i tried to get some unusual shots for full " analysis " on here .

#964 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

^

Your welcome ! With the 004 boat on the hard and the matching wing laying next to it there was good opertunity to get some shots of things that I have not seen before . Ren I'm working on my ALMS at Lime Rock Park shots now I'll send you the link to those when im done :)

Attached Files

#965 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

from the FP

Link or it didn't happen.

#966 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

^

Your welcome ! With the 004 boat on the hard and the matching wing laying next to it there was good opertunity to get some shots of things that I have not seen before . Ren I'm working on my ALMS at Lime Rock Park shots now I'll send you the link to those when im done :)

Posted Image

#967 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

A new entry by Ellen H, includes some pics from Newport too.
http://blog.ellenhok...t-in-house.html

#968 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

^

Posted Image

Here you go renn :)

Here is the link to the snap shots . Lots of behind the scenes stuff, motorhomes , cool golf carts all the weird and expensive toys

Album link

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o118/maxmini_2006/ALMS%20Lime%20Rock%20Park/

Teaser pics

This is why when some with interests outside of just sailing sort of laugh when we hear about " high Tech " and how 40 mph is " fast " :D

Teaser vid

Posted Image

Attached Files

#969 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,791 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

^ That really is one hell of a car

edit, sweet musclecar here too
http://m118.photobuc....jpg.html?o=122

#970 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the link - great shots, nicely documented. Looks like a very 'pristine' track environment, was there really no drunken rabble?

#971 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the link - great shots, nicely documented. Looks like a very 'pristine' track environment, was there really no drunken rabble?

That is Lime Rock Park in Ct. Much more of the wine and cheese crowd to be sure :) Paul Newman used to cal lit hishome track and helped with a good bit of its development. It really is a jewel of a track, my cheap camera snap shots do it no justice .

http://www.limerock.com/

#972 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

^

Posted Image

Here is the link to the snap shots . Lots of behind the scenes stuff, motorhomes , cool golf carts all the weird and expensive toys

Album link

http://s118.photobuc...%20Rock%20Park/

Teaser pics

This is why when some with interests outside of just sailing sort of laugh when we hear about " high Tech " and how 40 mph is " fast " :D

Teaser vid

Posted Image

Waaaaaahhhhhh! Thanks a loooottttt!
Alone the motorhomes get an "A" for coolness. Not to mention the race cars...

I love the equipment in the tents and the stripped cars. Super photos (and enjoyable videos).
(Is it my inability to handle Photobucket tha tI can see the pix only in thumbnail size?)

Have to watch on...

#973 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

(Is it my inability to handle Photobucket tha tI can see the pix only in thumbnail size?)

Could be a browser issue - but one click on a thumbnail should give you the photo on it's own on a separate page, click on that photo to go to the biggest size available.

Posted Image

Nice wing!

#974 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Thanks, but doesn't do it. Will try Firefox later. Never mind, the videos display in large :-).

#975 Sailing My Cubicle

Sailing My Cubicle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Lime Rock is a very cool place. Only been a few times and these pics are bringing back some nice memories of my youth.

#976 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

^

Posted Image

Album link

http://s118.photobuc...%20Rock%20Park/

Teaser pics

Teaser vid

Posted Image

Alone the motorhomes get an "A" for coolness. Not to mention the race cars...

I love the equipment in the tents and the stripped cars. Super photos (and enjoyable videos).

Have to watch on...

I hope that you get the pics to enlarge Ren. Like you i am interested in the surrounding items , trasporters , pit set ups , and the amazing individual pit areas . For most of the top teams the car is one of the smaller expenses :)

I put up a few more short clips , this time from my Iphone rather than the camera and they actually look better . The Iphone is a great device but would be better if it would just make a clear call and not drop so many :)

Posted Image

Attached Files

#977 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

That is Lime Rock Park in Ct. Much more of the wine and cheese crowd to be sure :) Paul Newman used to cal lit hishome track and helped with a good bit of its development. It really is a jewel of a track, my cheap camera snap shots do it no justice .

Funny you mention Paul Newman. In the mid-80's they had the first St. Pete Grand Prix, with Trans Am as the feature class and he was there racing his Nissan 300zx Trans Am cars. I was working in the Vintage class section of the pits, got a call to go over and help in another area and had to cross through the T/A pits. As I am hustling through the crowd in the T/A area I jumped into a break in the crowd. The bumper of this 300zx almost gets me in the shins and I look over to wave 'excuse me' to the driver for jumping in front of him.

It was Paul Newman leaving the paddock area...........................

Great pics and I'll have to check the vids once I get home. Thanks for sharing.

#978 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

Funny you mention Paul Newman. In the mid-80's they had the first St. Pete Grand Prix, with Trans Am as the feature class and he was there racing his Nissan 300zx Trans Am cars. I was working in the Vintage class section of the pits, got a call to go over and help in another area and had to cross through the T/A pits. As I am hustling through the crowd in the T/A area I jumped into a break in the crowd. The bumper of this 300zx almost gets me in the shins and I look over to wave 'excuse me' to the driver for jumping in front of him.

It was Paul Newman leaving the paddock area...........................

Great pics and I'll have to check the vids once I get home. Thanks for sharing.

Paul was a driver first and everything else second when he was at the track. I crewed for Tom Robertson in the late 70's and Paul was in our class in his TR-6. He would come by and hang out now and then and have more than a few beers . We asked him what he had been up to one time and he said he had been working on a hockey movie and he thought it was going to be rather funny. I said he was a bit old to be playing hockey and he laughed and said that was pretty much the point of the movie. It turned out that " Slap Shot " became one of my all time favorites. Tom pretty much kicked his ass with his home built Super 7 and won the D Prod championship in 77.

#979 fubaru

fubaru

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

The pics of Lime Rock brought back happy memories for me too - I spent the summer of '67 crewing for Fred Opert Racing. the U.S. importer for Brabhams. Fred raced a Formula B at Lime Rock that year.

And I lost my virginity with a local girl in a tent at the track on Saturday night . . . B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users