sell or scrap for parts?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Can you do me a favor? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Should a 1984 505 Parker-24 die or live on?

1. Strip, scrap, enjoy the new boat. (4 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. Give someone new a chance. (30 votes [88.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Foredeck Shuffle

Foredeck Shuffle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

I have an old 505, 1984 Parker-24, it has a great history and did well in its day and is currently in decent condition but needs work to get up and going for local fleet racing. I've tried selling it on SailOneDesign, Craigslist and currently on Ebay with only a handful of serious replies but no follow up, and more scam replies than you can shake a stick at. It has some very good rigging on it, a good Proctor D mast, those alone would cost me more than what I'm trying to sell the boat for if bought new. But I need the garage space and until I make the decision, it stays in its current garage, one of many where it has lived for most of it's life, aka, it's dry. The only reason I hesitate to scrap this boat is because unlike most Parker 505's, this boat is partially cored and has good bones.

So, scrap her (stripped, chopped up, taken to the dump) and use the spares for the new to me 505, or keep laboring on in a rather uncaring market for old 505's?

#2 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,199 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

I have an old 505, 1984 Parker-24, it has a great history and did well in its day and is currently in decent condition but needs work to get up and going for local fleet racing. I've tried selling it on SailOneDesign, Craigslist and currently on Ebay with only a handful of serious replies but no follow up, and more scam replies than you can shake a stick at. It has some very good rigging on it, a good Proctor D mast, those alone would cost me more than what I'm trying to sell the boat for if bought new. But I need the garage space and until I make the decision, it stays in its current garage, one of many where it has lived for most of it's life, aka, it's dry. The only reason I hesitate to scrap this boat is because unlike most Parker 505's, this boat is partially cored and has good bones.

So, scrap her (stripped, chopped up, taken to the dump) and use the spares for the new to me 505, or keep laboring on in a rather uncaring market for old 505's?

buy an ad Posted Image

buy an addition to the garage that is Posted Image

#3 Foredeck Shuffle

Foredeck Shuffle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

buy an ad Posted Image

Can I borrow a few cougars and have you take the shots to spice up the photo's Woody? I'll give you a cut if it sells. Maybe put it up on YachtWorld with audacious claims about the cavernous v-berth, high cruising speeds and the cockpit with all control lines within easy reach.

#4 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,199 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

buy an ad Posted Image

Can I borrow a few cougars and have you take the shots to spice up the photo's Woody? I'll give you a cut if it sells. Maybe put it up on YachtWorld with audacious claims about the cavernous v-berth, high cruising speeds and the cockpit with all control lines within easy reach.

PM on the way .................................... Posted Image

Sheet on and Sell it ! Posted Image Posted Image (sorry Tuffy)

#5 husker

husker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

in what part of the world does this 505 happen to be?

#6 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:51 AM

Give it to our sailing program, I'll come get it

http://nbnjrotc-sail.blogspot.com/

We have some kids that think their britches are getting to big for FJs and a 5-oh! will teach them a few things (including humility, but what a fun way to get that lesson across).

A tax deduction is not quite the same as money in your pocket but we can work a deal that you may find favorable

FB- Doug

#7 sablack

sablack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...<br />Boating....<br />Anything else interesting...

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

Interested...sent PM via ebay.

#8 alouett

alouett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

you know the value of your boat and it's history, will resetting up the ropes and rigging put you back much, the 505 sailors often have decent sails second hand to keep you going at a fun local level for some time . get closer to a sailing club ans see if some of the younger crowd might not want to join you and eventually get bitten by the bug.
I am currently restoring a 1988 hull that the previous owner stripped before painting then decided to sell her off. where i live there where 4 already and after dicussing it with one of the owners, i decided it was a good deal . but instead of just putting things back together , since i have the time this winter i decided to overhall the old repairs, re do what was fragile ( with an eye on the scales)and take the time to rethink the deck layout.
Modernised older hulls are remarquably fun to sail and fast. some sailors are regretting their old hulls , the newer can be more fragile or delicate to sail

#9 Foredeck Shuffle

Foredeck Shuffle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

I don't log into SA that often, after seeing the new calendar, that's a mistake.

The boat is for sale because I picked up a 2004 boat and went to the NA's, the only thing lacking was my experience. I was looking for a turn key boat after having helped rebuild a Hamlin 505 3 years ago. I just have too many projects like a Vanguard 15, a 66' Series II Rover, home, work, volunteering, looking at a keelboat for spring and a power boat this winter. It's all just too much and I'd really like to see someone sailing this boat. That's worth more to me than a bunch of spare parts should I turtle my boat and tweak the mast and need a new one.

in what part of the world does this 505 happen to be?

Annapolis, MD. It has a good trailer.

#10 Foredeck Shuffle

Foredeck Shuffle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

We have some kids that think their britches are getting to big for FJs and a 5-oh! will teach them a few things (including humility, but what a fun way to get that lesson across).

A tax deduction is not quite the same as money in your pocket but we can work a deal that you may find favorable

FB- Doug

If if doesn't sell soon, I'll do this. It's in good structural shape and perfect for that type of project and tax deductions are fine.

#11 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

... ...

FB- Doug

If if doesn't sell soon, I'll do this. It's in good structural shape and perfect for that type of project and tax deductions are fine.

For the group- PMs and email exchanged.

The door is still open so when FS's ad comes up, check it out!

FB- Doug

#12 PaulK

PaulK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:54 AM

A donation may seem like a good idea, but think about what happens. They come to pick up the boat, and then take it out from time to time, (reach out, reach back) until something breaks or a kid has a near-death experience (or both). Since there is no budget for repairs , the boat sits on the beach after that until a tree falls on it. So much for its great history. Sell it instead to someone who will race it - even at a loss, you can take it as a "hobby" expense - and the boat will stay in the racing fleet. This will increase the interest in 505's in general and the value of every 505 out there. This is what has made the 505 a viable boat since its inception, despite not being an Olympic class. i have been intrigued by 505's ever since one blasted by the 420 I was sailing off the Normandy coast. I'm interested, Don't cave. I can get to Annapolis in a matter of hours, too.

#13 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

A donation may seem like a good idea, but think about what happens. They come to pick up the boat, and then take it out from time to time, (reach out, reach back) until something breaks or a kid has a near-death experience (or both). Since there is no budget for repairs , the boat sits on the beach after that until a tree falls on it. So much for its great history. Sell it instead to someone who will race it - even at a loss, you can take it as a "hobby" expense - and the boat will stay in the racing fleet. This will increase the interest in 505's in general and the value of every 505 out there. This is what has made the 505 a viable boat since its inception, despite not being an Olympic class. i have been intrigued by 505's ever since one blasted by the 420 I was sailing off the Normandy coast. I'm interested, Don't cave. I can get to Annapolis in a matter of hours, too.

I dunno who soured your cookies on junior sailing, but it's clear that you have NO CLUE what goes on. Maybe this is a negotiating tactic, you want a free boat (or as close to it as possible) for yourself but don't offer any benefits?

For one thing, I have already said several times if Foredeck S finds a local buyer, then I would encourage a sale... keeping local fleets healthy & growing is imperative, and (as I also said) a tax deduction is nice but it's not the same as cash in your pocket.

OTOH it is imperative to introduce new people to the sport, and to your particular class, without forcing them to drink the Kool-Aid. "Reach out & reach back" is not even close to our sailing style (link to some of our sailing exercises) and we are currently operating & maintaining a fleet of 10 donated FJs and Javelins. Our newest boats are three 1988 CFJs; this would not normally be practical but in our case we have a large number of retirees supporting the program with volunteer hours.

We have about twice as many kids signing up to sail as we have places in boats. Not only would we like to expand the opportunity but in the case of a boat like this, we can let the advanced kids move into something more challenging than an FJ, and let the beginners see some fun (either their seniors getting humbled, or seeing what a performance boat can do).

(another linky) Dredging up an old thread

FB- Doug

#14 PaulK

PaulK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:07 PM

Am not anti Jr. Sailing. Went through a Jr. Sailing Program. Have taught sailing, as have both my daughters, one of whom was responsible for starting a sailing team at her high school. Have volunteered our boat for many years in Jr. Sailing 'round the buoys and overnight races, as well as at Storm Trysail's Safety at Sea seminar.

I have seen, however, what happens when a boat that does not fit with the rest of the fleet is introduced. A Soling was donated to our club at one point. Most of the sailors were zipping around in Fireballs, learning to trapeze. Crew on the Soling got to paddle when the wind died. They weren't heavy enough to hold it flat when the breeze picked up. Resources went to keep the dinghies in shape... The club ended up essentially paying to have the Soling hauled away. At another club, a Finn showed up in the parking lot. It was not fun going off by yourself, (one-man boat) and not fun being passed downwind by everyone with their spinnakers up. A 505 will sail circles around an FJ. It will end up so far from the others so fast that you will need a separate instructor boat just to keep an eye on the two kids in the 505. Not many clubs can devote that much resource to one boat. Is there a 505 fleet nearby to race in? Who is going to make/keep the boat competitive? If the boat is just used for drills, by itself, it doesn't matter what boat you use. But if you're taking a boat that could be part of a racing fleet and removing it from the fleet, it diminishes the critical mass and viability of the fleet. Eventually, a lone one-design boat ends up parked, and a tree falls on it.

#15 Foredeck Shuffle

Foredeck Shuffle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Paul,

I hear you and understand. But I have enough spare parts and old sails (except spinnakers) to make this happen. Spins are easy enough to get a hold of. I have 2 people that I had already started to talk to but if they don't pull the trigger, I've already contacted my tax accountant about letting this go. Even if they trash it in 3-4 years, that's a few people that will have high performance sailing in their bag of tricks to bring out to use again some day. Maybe even on a 505.

BTW, I did pay for an add here on SA, but I think Scot must be up to his eyeballs in holiday parties and adoring crowds, to get it online.

#16 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

Paul,

I hear you and understand. But I have enough spare parts and old sails (except spinnakers) to make this happen. Spins are easy enough to get a hold of. I have 2 people that I had already started to talk to but if they don't pull the trigger, I've already contacted my tax accountant about letting this go. Even if they trash it in 3-4 years, that's a few people that will have high performance sailing in their bag of tricks to bring out to use again some day. Maybe even on a 505.

BTW, I did pay for an add here on SA, but I think Scot must be up to his eyeballs in holiday parties and adoring crowds, to get it online.

Another possible answer for the "a tree falls on it" problem is to come down here for some sailing. We have a GREAT venue that is almost empty.

FB- Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users