34 replies to this topic

#1 sailmaker

sailmaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:53 AM

I just saw the old RP sled Taxi Dancer on the hard at Mission Bay. Looked like she was getting a new keel. Also looked as though she got a new deck set up. Any one know the details?

#2 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:56 AM

Ask the Hippy. Assuming he hasn't been kicked off this program too.

#3 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:04 AM

MAYBE SHOULD BE??

#4 Laserslave

Laserslave

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:17 AM

know what i saw for sail...brumstick...isnt that the old grundig?

#5 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:40 AM

Not yet, but i'm on my way down to measure her after xmas.

#6 Guest Anarchist paris'dildo_*

Guest Anarchist paris'dildo_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:26 AM

shell be racing in the big show (npt beach to cabo for all of you snowed in wankers)

#7 Gorn FRANTIC!!

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:07 AM

no its not the old Grundig, its just another open 60 thats had some mods done to it, although no-where near as extreme as Grundig(AAPT)

#8 John Gault

John Gault

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:15 AM

New keel (bulb)? Not surprising! Saw her driven onto the shallow water off leadbetters (in Santa Barbara) with two hippie type BNs in charge -- surely trying to impress the some underaged girly types on the beach. Harbor Patrol came out to investigate, but after doing a 360 or so to extricate themselves from an embarrassing situation before HP got there, the shirtless (shitless) BNs waved off any help and disclaimed they had grounded her.

#9 sheetpusher

sheetpusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:00 PM

I think the new bulb keel is for 'Merlin'. Her old canter is lying on the scrap heap next to the boat.

#10 Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:13 PM

Both Merlin and Taxi Dancer being gone through to be in top shape for the 2005 west coast season. Lots of boats gathering for Newport-Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Trans-Pac, etc. Genuine Risk is working on some new underwater appendages. Trans-Pac is shaping up to be a big show. Six Cal 40's already entered, Merlin, Medicine Man, etc.

#11 Stealth Chicken

Stealth Chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:13 PM

The keel sitting next to Merlin is for Taxi, so I have heard.

#12 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:57 PM

The biggest change to the deck layout was the change to double wheels. I don't know why they didn't turbo the boat. It is one of those boats that was meant to be turbo'ed. I've felt that way ever since it came out of Esprit many moons ago. Its not like they would ever allow it to race against the GL70s. Anyway I guess its going to England so that doesn't much matter. Great boat though congards to who ever has it.

#13 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:19 PM

The biggest change to the deck layout was the change to double wheels. I don't know why they didn't turbo the boat. It is one of those boats that was meant to be turbo'ed. I've felt that way ever since it came out of Esprit many moons ago. Its not like they would ever allow it to race against the GL70s. Anyway I guess its going to England so that doesn't much matter. Great boat though congards to who ever has it.

The Sharp family?

#14 Tom O'Keefe

Tom O'Keefe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:Custom Plastic Injection Molding
    Hendo 30 Power Point
    Mac Gregor 65' Lean Machine
    Spencer 65' Rag Time
    SC 50 Horizon
    R/P 68' Tax Dancer
    R/P 86' Pyewacket

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:24 PM

Paul & Laura Sharpe own her. New keel, dual wheels and a new color scheme were the plans they told me. The sail inventory for that boat is so deep, it would be tough to turbo. But, I would not be suprised to see them do it in a season or two. Last I heard she's not doing Trans Pac. But, there is a decent schedule for West Coast 05'. I'm looking forward to sailing with them again after the refit.

#15 Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:14 PM

Wow, seems a shame to do all that work to the boat and not race it on the west coast.

#16 Guy LeDouche

Guy LeDouche

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:23 PM

Paul & Laura Sharpe own her. New keel, dual wheels and a new color scheme were the plans they told me.

New Color Scheme?????

That is a crime in itself. Like repainting the Mona Lisa.

#17 ExOmo

ExOmo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:05 PM

Paul & Laura Sharpe own her. New keel, dual wheels and a new color scheme were the plans they told me.

New Color Scheme?????

That is a crime in itself. Like repainting the Mona Lisa.

Let us at least hope they didn't change the name.....or have any bananas hidden onboard...

#18 OffShore Sam

OffShore Sam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:20 PM

Fan,

With some tweeking the Taxi Dancer would fit into the GL 70 class and the class would welcome her. The GL 70 class is box class that could fit some Andrews 70, NM 68s and a few other uldbs in that size range. The class bylaws do not say just SC70s, but rather spell out a certain criteria for the boats. About two years ago a group inquired about joining the class with Taxi Dancer but never did the deal.

#19 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,224 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:41 PM

Sammy

When I glanced through the bylaws on the GL70 website last year (It was winter and I was bored) I thought there was an SC70 only provision and that WD was grandfathered as the only exception. Of course I could be wrong. Btw, Happy Holidays to you and the family.

#20 SoCalSlacker

SoCalSlacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Interests:good old fashion competion

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:51 PM

to bad "he-who-not-be-mentioned" isn't still around so we could ask him why Roger MacGregors daughter doesn't have a mac

#21 fan

fan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:14 PM

I heard something similar to what barlymalt said but it was second hand from when I was there for the Mac.

#22 JoeO

JoeO

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:22 PM

Sammy

When I glanced through the bylaws on the GL70 website last year (It was winter and I was bored) I thought there was an SC70 only provision and that WD was grandfathered as the only exception.  Of course I could be wrong.  Btw, Happy Holidays to you and the family.

From the GL70 assn. by-laws (complete w/ bad grammar):

"All hulls shall must be molded from the original Santa Cruz 70 mold. The class owner-members may, at their discretion, invite other yachts to join the association.(Italics added by me) The N/M68 Windancer is grand fathered and is a class member."

#23 OffShore Sam

OffShore Sam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:30 PM

Here is/are the controling provision(s) that apply.

((((Definition:
A GL 70 Class boat must meet all of the following requirements, possess a valid IMS rating certificate and conform to the rating limits of the association.

Keel Depth not to exceed 10.25. RM not to exceed 2950. Carbon masts are legal. DSPL not to exceed 28,500. IM not to exceed 73.6. ILC weighted average as modified.

The original construction date shall be used. Stern, scoop, keel, or rudder change will not affect the date. They are included directly in the rating calculation. Hull shape modifications are not allowed. Rig changes are allowed.

The 2003 ILC Limit will be 550.9* * This number may be altered to conform to the yearly changes within the IMS rule.

Ratings:
To be eligible to compete in class events a yacht must not exceed its IMS ILC limit. The ILC number will be used for Windward-Leeward Races. The GPH number will be used for port-to-port. If the race organizer uses the IMS scoring programs, these results shall be used.

Configuration Limits:
Only masthead rigged sloops may compete in class events. Fractional, ketch and yawl rigged boats are ineligible to compete as a GL 70. A masthead rigged sloop is defined as the upper end of P being below the upper end of I and the headstay and the backstay meet the mast on essentially the same horizontal plan. Normally, a GL 70 must race in the same configuration with the same IMS measurement certificate for the entire annual championship series in order to accumulate series points. Any performance-affecting alteration that requires remeasurement will be considered a configuration change. These include, but are not limited to, changes to the hull, keel, rudder, sail plan or internal ballast. Reasonable changes that are not performance enhancing or are made for safety reasons, may be approved by the Association without the loss of championship points even though re-measurement is required.

Any configuration change requires prior approval from the Association to insure the change is not made to enhance performance for a specific event. If the Association determines that a GL 70 has changed its configuration to optimize performance for a specific event. it may exclude that yacht from Class eligibility.

A GL 70 that is damaged seriously enough to require a remeasurement may obtain a new certificate upon completion of repairs and retain its points for the Championship Series. New yachts will be permitted 3 months from the date of their first certificate to finalize a certificate. However, they may not use this option to optimize for events during this period or shortly after the period ends.

All hulls shall must be molded from the original Santa Cruz 70 mold. The class owner-members may, at their discretion, invite other yachts to join the association. The N/M68 Windancer is grand fathered and is a class member. ))))

The provision concerning 'original mold' was made when the class was considering purchasing the mold from Bill Lee. The concern was that someone would try to build a boat to fit into the class out of more modern materials and outdate the boats in the class. Somewhat of a repeat of what happen on the left coast.

Taxi would have had to do a few small adjustments like shorten the length of the pole...to fit into the rating box, otherwise from my understaning of the boat she would have fit into the class box.
On the otherhand, the group that inquired would have had to make some considerable changes to fit into the class. That is another story all together.

Hey Barley, check your email, I need your address. Wife is about to kick me to the street and I need a crib... or at least an address to send a card to...

#24 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:34 PM

Here is/are the controling provision(s) that apply.

((((Definition:
A GL 70 Class boat must meet all of the following requirements, possess a valid IMS rating certificate and conform to the rating limits of the association.

Keel Depth not to exceed 10.25. RM not to exceed 2950. Carbon masts are legal. DSPL not to exceed 28,500. IM not to exceed 73.6. ILC weighted average as modified.

The original construction date shall be used. Stern, scoop, keel, or rudder change will not affect the date. They are included directly in the rating calculation. Hull shape modifications are not allowed. Rig changes are allowed.

The 2003 ILC Limit will be 550.9* * This number may be altered to conform to the yearly changes within the IMS rule.

Ratings:
To be eligible to compete in class events a yacht must not exceed its IMS ILC limit. The ILC number will be used for Windward-Leeward Races. The GPH number will be used for port-to-port. If the race organizer uses the IMS scoring programs, these results shall be used.

Configuration Limits:
Only masthead rigged sloops may compete in class events. Fractional, ketch and yawl rigged boats are ineligible to compete as a GL 70. A masthead rigged sloop is defined as the upper end of P being below the upper end of I and the headstay and the backstay meet the mast on essentially the same horizontal plan. Normally, a GL 70 must race in the same configuration with the same IMS measurement certificate for the entire annual championship series in order to accumulate series points. Any performance-affecting alteration that requires remeasurement will be considered a configuration change. These include, but are not limited to, changes to the hull, keel, rudder, sail plan or internal ballast. Reasonable changes that are not performance enhancing or are made for safety reasons, may be approved by the Association without the loss of championship points even though re-measurement is required.

Any configuration change requires prior approval from the Association to insure the change is not made to enhance performance for a specific event. If the Association determines that a GL 70 has changed its configuration to optimize performance for a specific event. it may exclude that yacht from Class eligibility.

A GL 70 that is damaged seriously enough to require a remeasurement may obtain a new certificate upon completion of repairs and retain its points for the Championship Series. New yachts will be permitted 3 months from the date of their first certificate to finalize a certificate. However, they may not use this option to optimize for events during this period or shortly after the period ends.

All hulls shall must be molded from the original Santa Cruz 70 mold. The class owner-members may, at their discretion, invite other yachts to join the association. The N/M68 Windancer is grand fathered and is a class member. ))))

The provision concerning 'original mold' was made when the class was considering purchasing the mold from Bill Lee. The concern was that someone would try to build a boat to fit into the class out of more modern materials and outdate the boats in the class. Somewhat of a repeat of what happen on the left coast.

Taxi would have had to do a few small adjustments like shorten the length of the pole...to fit into the rating box, otherwise from my understaning of the boat she would have fit into the class box.
On the otherhand, the group that inquired would have had to make some considerable changes to fit into the class. That is another story all together.

Hey Barley, check your email, I need your address. Wife is about to kick me to the street and I need a crib... or at least an address to send a card to...

fuckin a dude slow day?

what's it rate?

#25 OffShore Sam

OffShore Sam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:53 PM

Dude,

Not a slow day at all, it was a cut and past from the GL 70 bylaws.

#26 another 505 sailor

another 505 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:58 AM

Also remember that the original sleds were rated under IOR, and they did have some concessions to hull shape.
I can see why they might not want a slicker 70 footer to compete against. But since Taxi Dancer was built at the same time, the hull is probably fine.

Intersting about masthead sloops only.

as to what it rates, under IOR, I think it was 70 feet, a Transpac limit for some time.

#27 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,315 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:13 AM

Seems by now someone would have mentioned

DCís two Formula 1 boats

or the most impressive boat in the same yard:

"Morning Glory" (What a Beauty)!

watch for shots in the regular spot

#28 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:10 AM

There is a new 'normal' (non-swing) keel in front of Merlin's tent. Short, only about 6' deep, average bulb on the bottom. Don't know if it's intended for Merlin, looks a bit small.
Morning Glory is getting deck fairing repaired & all new deck paint, courtesy of Brad Fitzgerald. After looking at MG & Gen Risk up on stands, GR is significantly skinnier, with deeper keel.

#29 Guest Anarchist paris'dildo_*

Guest Anarchist paris'dildo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:13 AM

merlin is keeping her same keel, only shortening it by about 18"

#30 Jason AUS

Jason AUS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:34 PM

no its not the old Grundig, its just another open 60 thats had some mods done to it, although no-where near as extreme as Grundig(AAPT)

I would seriously challenge that quote....sure, Sean has a constant series of mods going on with AAPT/Grundig/Xena, but when he performed the original set of mods on the boat, she gained a 6 foot scoop, and kept the rudders in the same spot.

Broomstick added 6 feet of hull and deck, moved the rudder back there (changing from twin rudders to one along the way), then put the runners back there to try and pull the whole show off the back of the boat.

And when you lay the boat down under her BIIIIIIG masthead asso, you instinctively look back to see if the last 6 foot is twisting, flexing or doing anything that it shouldn't do. Anyone here remember centrifugal force from Physics ?

:o

So while Sean may have tried mods like bow foils, lifting rudders and the like, when all is said and done, he's left with a rather pretty 66 footer witth a nice scoop and a big bowspirit. Hardly extreme.

:ph34r:

#31 onephatdiva

onephatdiva

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:49 PM

to bad "he-who-not-be-mentioned" isn't still around so we could ask him why Roger MacGregors daughter doesn't have a mac

Ah aparently she has a Mac Daddy so she sorted :P

#32 Yesterday's Burrito

Yesterday's Burrito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Molecular biology of extinguished invertebrates from Jupiter.

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:11 PM

hey, i've seen taxi dancer and stealth chicken a couple times in MEXORC down in Puerto Vallarta several years ago. Are you guys still doing it?

#33 Ross

Ross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:49 AM

speaking of DC's two formula 1 boats, I saw then in Newport(SoCal) maybe 2 summers ago, anyone know where they are now, and what there being used for, any sites?? or pictures, they were wicked boats

#34 Rusalka

Rusalka

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts
  • Interests:Singlehanded offshore racing.

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:59 AM

merlin is keeping her same keel, only shortening it by about 18"

Is she still pimped out or does she look like a sailboat again?

#35 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:56 PM

Conner's two 50' formula boats are sitting on stands, rig in, at mission bay. I have heard that Merlin will retain the image of'Merlin" but lose the lariat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users