• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 coelacanth2

coelacanth2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, sailing gardening and exposing my son to all of the above

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:43 AM

Thanks again to the Connecticut contingent for reestablishing that race is it on again this coming spring?

#2 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

I hope so. Planning on it. Might bring the kids this time too. With the discussed change of course eliminating the bridge I am trying to decide between the Wave and the H17. 17 is much faster but the Wave is easier and more kid friendly. Plus the 17 tacks slow but it does track upwind better.

#3 coelacanth2

coelacanth2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, sailing gardening and exposing my son to all of the above

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

I kinda liked the bridge - added a bit of spice to the proceedings. My little tubby-toy slid right under, no problemo. Of course my son and I were the _slowest_ thing out there. But we didn't capsize, hit the bridge or even ship too much water. The company was great and the scenery striking.

#4 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

I liked the bridge too and that was the main reason I chose the Sunfish. Just sail right under no prob. It's really limiting though, not to many types of boats have that short of a rig. The Lasers went through ok but even the JY's were to tall. If they made the race one design in Lasers and Sunfish it could work out but that would really limiting. Plus the bridge seemed to be a real wind block. North of it there was 0-3 and south it was 12+.

#5 coelacanth2

coelacanth2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

My son and I were in the little pram with the lug rig. Goes like stink with a good stiff breeze on the beam or stern. Not so good with the wind on her nose.

Do you think a Hobie 14 would make it under. 22 ft iirc

#6 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

There was a Turbo 14 in the last race. Standard rig but I didn't see him go under the bridge, I was too far ahead ;) . I was really relishing that at that point in the race, I had a H14 and H17sport way behind me in the Sunfish and I was right up there with the lead Lasers. However once we got moving on the other side of the bridge the Hobies reeled me in easily. The 17 went past on that broad stretch of river and then the 14 got me about 1-1.5 miles from the finish. In the light stuff the Sunfish is quicker and faster to tack. I'll tell ya my abs were burning when the 17 went by like I was standing still and they weren't even hiking! Considering I had left a cat in the driveway I was very jealous.

#7 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Thanks again to the Connecticut contingent for reestablishing that race is it on again this coming spring?

It is definitely going to happen. More than likely it will be on Saturday May 12, 2012. The bridge element will be taken out of the equation next time. Iím thinking of a bridge-to-bridge race. We will start just south of the Goodspeed bridge (thatís the one we went under) and race down to the Baldwin Bridge where I-95 crosses over the river. It would be cool to have the finish line be between the footings of the center span. I hope to have the after party at North Cove Yacht Club, so we can either sail down there after finishing or pull the boats at the State Boat Launch under the bridge. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

I just finished sailing for the season, so itís time to start planning for next season. I will start asking around to see if NCYC wants to be involved and if that is the case, Iíll either have to look for a caterer or recruit some cooks. Start spreading the word now so we can get some more participants. Just from the talk at the local clubs, there should be at least 50% more boats. The people that did participate were talking it up and those that didnít seemed disappointed and determined to do it next year.

BTW- The clearance on the bridge is 21' at mean high tide.

#8 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

What is the distance bridge to bridge? How much room is there at the new launch site? Could we do a Le Man's style start? Could make it fun if the wind is light at the start like it was last year.

#9 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

What is the distance bridge to bridge? How much room is there at the new launch site? Could we do a Le Man's style start? Could make it fun if the wind is light at the start like it was last year.

Not sure exactly what the distance is, it should be only about 1 mile longer than last year. I can't find the online routing site I used before. I'll try to figure it out soon. The launch site should have plenty of room. Do a search for "Eagle Landing State Park". That's the place we're going to start. The boat ramp doesn't look as big, but there's plenty of room for dinghies to launch. I'll check it out sometime. We'll see about the Le Man start. I'll have to check the tide. If the tide is too one-sided in either direction, I wouldn't want to do TOD. The whole goal is fun, so we'll do what we have to do.

#10 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

Not sure exactly what the distance is, it should be only about 1 mile longer than last year. I can't find the online routing site I used before. I'll try to figure it out soon. The launch site should have plenty of room. Do a search for "Eagle Landing State Park". That's the place we're going to start. The boat ramp doesn't look as big, but there's plenty of room for dinghies to launch. I'll check it out sometime. We'll see about the Le Man start. I'll have to check the tide. If the tide is too one-sided in either direction, I wouldn't want to do TOD. The whole goal is fun, so we'll do what we have to do.

I totally agree. That is why I was thinking of the off the dock start, last year we were lacking in wind and basically did the same thing, just off the committee boat. I hope it is longer. One of the reasons I took the Sunfish last year was that, a. I wanted to do the original race and it was fitting to use a Sunfish, and b. I wanted a real experience that was different, not just a quick dinghy race. I wanted a fight and I got it. Now that my interest is moving to cats I am interested in that aspect but I still want a small adventure. If it is too short it would be as much fun. And I hope the kids will be game for it.

#11 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:09 AM

I kinda liked the bridge - added a bit of spice to the proceedings. My little tubby-toy slid right under, no problemo. Of course my son and I were the _slowest_ thing out there. But we didn't capsize, hit the bridge or even ship too much water. The company was great and the scenery striking.

The bridge certainly added a bit more spice to this competitor's language (Go the Chad).

Posted Image

It was great seeing such a diversity of boats --

Posted Image

#12 coelacanth2

coelacanth2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:12 AM

as we were pulling into the park to rig up my son looked at some of the boats going into the water and said, "I think we need a bigger boat". Posted Image He's grown a bit and stuffing the two of us into the pram might be a challenge. I've been thinking of putting together a sharpie over the winter (wife's gonna kill me) but wouldn't have much time to tune it up. Not many built to that design, but it's supposed to be quick. Centerboard and kick-up rudder would be a plus over the daggerboard on the bay where we've been sailing - the place is so shallow that we have to push the pram 50 yds out before we can lower the daggerboard and affix the rudder. We have an old Hobie 14 but the sail is really ratty - mice and carpenter ants got to it, gnawing little bastards. I'd gladly take the pram but he's never taken the 14 out by himself. have to see...

BTW, RDog, you were very considerate in not showing the two guys who rolled their boat under that bridge...

#13 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:26 AM

as we were pulling into the park to rig up my son looked at some of the boats going into the water and said, "I think we need a bigger boat". Posted Image He's grown a bit and stuffing the two of us into the pram might be a challenge. I've been thinking of putting together a sharpie over the winter (wife's gonna kill me) but wouldn't have much time to tune it up. Not many built to that design, but it's supposed to be quick. Centerboard and kick-up rudder would be a plus over the daggerboard on the bay where we've been sailing - the place is so shallow that we have to push the pram 50 yds out before we can lower the daggerboard and affix the rudder. We have an old Hobie 14 but the sail is really ratty - mice and carpenter ants got to it, gnawing little bastards. I'd gladly take the pram but he's never taken the 14 out by himself. have to see...

BTW, RDog, you were very considerate in not showing the two guys who rolled their boat under that bridge...

What? They were the same guys that were stuck "in" the bridge ---

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everyone had a blast, competitors and support boats alike, and we recovered most of the stuff that floated....even though we had to step on a couple beaches to do so.

I might be out there in a sail boat this year. I'm going to try and get a guy I've raced with to bring out his Marshal Sanderling 18 for the event. If I can convince him, and you're out there, let us know if you want a grilled cheese sandwich and a cold beer as you pass by.

#14 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

What? They were the same guys that were stuck "in" the bridge ---

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everyone had a blast, competitors and support boats alike, and we recovered most of the stuff that floated....even though we had to step on a couple beaches to do so.

I might be out there in a sail boat this year. I'm going to try and get a guy I've raced with to bring out his Marshal Sanderling 18 for the event. If I can convince him, and you're out there, let us know if you want a grilled cheese sandwich and a cold beer as you pass by.

We can make a special provision in the SI's to give you a 15 minute head start. That way when we pass you the burgers will be ready.

#15 coelacanth2

coelacanth2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

Pbbbbbth! :D

#16 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:47 AM

Ah, I didn't think the water was that cold. Course I traveled south 3 hours and there was snow near the boat when I left.

#17 USA_73

USA_73

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

Bastard! I was going to fix my other hull, so you had a dry one to sail on. We need to redeem ourselves from the JMR sinking.

Either boat I have takes on water, so I may as well fix the faster one.

#18 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:26 AM

Bastard! I was going to fix my other hull, so you had a dry one to sail on. We need to redeem ourselves from the JMR sinking.

Either boat I have takes on water, so I may as well fix the faster one.

Let me know if you need some help. No commitment yet, but I don't want to sink again.

It'll either be a kitty or a cat.

#19 MuckDiverMark

MuckDiverMark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving and Hot Rods

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:27 AM

This looks like too much fun, where do I sign up??

#20 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

This looks like too much fun, where do I sign up??

It is a lot of fun. I've been busy with other stuff lately and haven't gotten my shit together, but the documents will be on this thread when I get them together.

#21 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

you can count me in already, as I have said. Loved it last time. point to point in a dinghy was way fun as a change of pace from the round and round!

#22 MuckDiverMark

MuckDiverMark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving and Hot Rods

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

Any news on when and where this is going to take place? I've got at least 3 people interested in sailing.

#23 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,881 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

When?

#24 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Any news on when and where this is going to take place? I've got at least 3 people interested in sailing.

I'm having issues trying to find a place to have the awards/party right now. I know the race is the important part, but it was nice to have food/drink to refuel after the long race. I have e-mailed North Cove Yacht Club with no response. Anybody have any other ideas for a place near the Baldwin Bridge boat launch? Just need some tables and grills.

Where ever the party is, the plan is to have it on May 12. The course will be from just South of the Goodspeed bridge (Eagle Landing) and finish between the center spans on the Baldwin bridge.

#25 Sheethead

Sheethead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Bushmills, Mt. Gay, Svedka

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

This is an open regatta? Cool! Any restrictions?

#26 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

This is an open regatta? Cool! Any restrictions?

It's open, the more the better. Only restriction is if there isn't a OD class, it must have a Portsmouth rating.

#27 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

North Cove Yacht Club is definitely out for this year. They are getting their property refurbished, so even the parking lot will supposedly be out of commission.

I'll take a quick drive along the Old Saybrook waterfront on my way home from work today to see if there is a good spot to hang after racing. There may be decent facilities at one of the few marinas that are down that way. May try to see what Dock & Done can do for us also. I know they have a banquet room in the back, but not sure how much it costs. I'm trying to keep the costs as reasonable as possible.

#28 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,881 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

when was it held last year?

#29 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

when was it held last year?

It was the same weekend, the second Saturday in May.

#30 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,881 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

May 12,,,,,,,,

#31 coelacanth2

coelacanth2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

Hope we can make it. The boy is swamped with homework this year and schoolwork comes first. I might come by myself, but he really had a great time with some great people.

#32 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:55 AM

I will be there unless something comes up. Now what baot to bring? Just got back from the EC start (se thread in SA) way cool. totally inspired.

#33 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

Baker and I found a JY. We'll be there.

#34 benja

benja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

North Cove Yacht Club is definitely out for this year. They are getting their property refurbished, so even the parking lot will supposedly be out of commission.

I'll take a quick drive along the Old Saybrook waterfront on my way home from work today to see if there is a good spot to hang after racing. There may be decent facilities at one of the few marinas that are down that way. May try to see what Dock & Done can do for us also. I know they have a banquet room in the back, but not sure how much it costs. I'm trying to keep the costs as reasonable as possible.

Why not just go all the way to the end, then head west a bit. Can finish on Hepburn's front lawn!

#35 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Why not just go all the way to the end, then head west a bit. Can finish on Hepburn's front lawn!

Posted Image

#36 valcour

valcour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Folks,

I'm thinking about doing this race with my daughters. I'm currently trying to decide what type of boat to use. Is there a critical mass in any specific classes? Seems like lasers, sunfish, and a growing contingent of cats.

Can we do a role call on what type of boat everybody on the thread is planning to use?

#37 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

last year there were 5 or 6 lasers, 2 sunfish, 2 JY's, a H14, H17, Oday (I think) something or other, a Nutshell Pram, a Blue Jay, and a few others that I can not recall right now. I will not be doing it in the Sunfish again this year. It was great fun but I think I will try something else as this race sort of lends itself to trying new things. Last year it was warm, especially where we started. There was no wind at the start and it didn't fill in till we went under the bridge. Then it was 12-20 and a beat most of the way. The Hobie cats struggled in the light but quickly passed the fleet. A few of the Lasers were next over the line, then a Sunfish. It was an ab workout for sure. Water temp was chilly, 50's I would say. There was chop, pretty god size in a few places where the current was ripping against the wind. This year we are starting south of the bridge as I understand it. Anything taller than a Laser rig didn't fit and there were issues. We are also going farther south, to the I-95 bridge. I have had trouble remembering how long it took last year. We couldn't get started when we supposed to and then there was no wind so I want to say it took about 3-4 hours of actual sailing. Of course the H17 probably finished about a hour ahead of me.

#38 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hmmm... Seems like a fun race for an IC canoe

#39 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hmmm... Seems like a fun race for an IC canoe

#40 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

depending on wind direction it might be a lot of tacking, but other wise it would be a hoot. Would love to see an IC up close too.

#41 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

If I recall it took about 3 hours last time. I still have the times in a notebook at home, so I could check those later. The distance from the Goodspeed bridge to the 95 bridge should be about the same.

I'm still having an issue finding a place to host the party though. After driving along the whole river waterfront, there isn't a decent place to grill with bathroom facilities, let alone room for everyone to bring their boats. I may be able to work with Pilot's Point Marina. Would people be interested in driving 10 minutes to get to the party venue after pulling their boats? Logistics-wise this is turning out to be much more difficult than last year.

Valcour- We will have a Portsmouth class, so bring any kind of boat you want as long as it has a rating. More than likely, I'll be in my Laser.

Zero- He didn't pass me until about 2 miles from the finish, so it was probably within 30 minutes.

#42 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Pilots Point works for me. They have a nice little restaurant with bar or if that isn't available there is a grilling area iirc and bathrooms!

#43 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I may be in this year....either my Sunfish or if I can find a 2 person dinghy to borrow...May 12 is a good day.

#44 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

come and do it, it was way fun last year. Something about the idea of racing dinghys from point A to point B really appeals to me. you might like it.

#45 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

come and do it, it was way fun last year. Something about the idea of racing dinghys from point A to point B really appeals to me. you might like it.

And the Portsmouth rule is very cool. Last year there were some serious class racers that just grabbed a local boat with a mast that could get under the bridge and went for it. Local Etchells guys were sailing Sunfish, Flying Sidewalks and Hobies. A fantastic day on the water.

#46 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

is there a registration thingy or Notice of Race?? webpage??

#47 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Snowguy will have something in a while. It was pretty loose last time. There was a NOR and SI's and I think there was a $20 fee.

#48 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

I was talking to my girlfriend last night and she came up with a good idea. I could charge just what it will take to cover the costs of running the event, then we could have the party at the Back Porch right next to the boat launch. They have food and a bar there. Logistically this option would be very easy. The boats could be left in the launch parking lot and the participants could walk right next door for the party. Plus you could get whatever food/drink you want. Not sure what time they go on, but a local cover band called Fusion will be playing in the evening. Between them and the marina in the same building, we'd have bathroom/changing facilities also.

What say you all about that option?

is there a registration thingy or Notice of Race?? webpage??

As Zero says, it's pretty relaxed at this point. I'm still trying to figure out some details before I can complete the NOR's. When I get home I'll post the ones from last year so you can get the idea. The main difference will be the racing area. The same exclusion zones apply and one will be added on the eastern side of Nott's island. It'd be cool to race through those zones, but local knowledge would make them a big game changer. There isn't a website since this is my baby right now. I don't have a sponsor club, but that might change next year.

#49 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

What would the cost be to have this new option? I would pay more than last year for this but not break the bank. And by launch ramp do you mean something at/near the finish or something back at the start? Are you doing a loop this time, ie. down river then up to the same point. Just confused. I will google this Back Porch stat.

#50 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

OK google search finished. I like it so far. What would the additional cost be and what are the transport issues with getting the vehicles and trailers from the start to the finish? Last year I rode in a sailors dream van, complete with pipe berth and smelly sailing garb. What would the plan be this year? Move support vehicles before race, or after (cold beer in hand)? I ask because I may bring my kids, we may stay over night, and that complicates things. BTW we would almost definitely do that train ride place (the boy loves his trains,) either the day before or the day after the race as well as Mystic Aq. and it could become a family tradition sort of thing, so keep that in mind if this grows and there are potential commercial implications in the future, ie. grants, sponsors, etc. Tourists doing tourist things is good news for local businesses.

#51 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

OK google search finished. I like it so far. What would the additional cost be and what are the transport issues with getting the vehicles and trailers from the start to the finish? Last year I rode in a sailors dream van, complete with pipe berth and smelly sailing garb. What would the plan be this year? Move support vehicles before race, or after (cold beer in hand)? I ask because I may bring my kids, we may stay over night, and that complicates things. BTW we would almost definitely do that train ride place (the boy loves his trains,) either the day before or the day after the race as well as Mystic Aq. and it could become a family tradition sort of thing, so keep that in mind if this grows and there are potential commercial implications in the future, ie. grants, sponsors, etc. Tourists doing tourist things is good news for local businesses.

The registration fee would probably be around $15 per boat with this option. I will have to go back through my numbers from last year, but it'd probably be close to that. I would like to try to move all the vehicles down to the finish before racing. As you know, last year the timing was tough, but it should be a little quicker to get between the start and finish this time around. That will probably be something where we do what we can before racing and take care of the rest after.

Another attraction to visit is the Connecticut River Museum in Essex. Especially if your kids aren't racing with you. It's a couple hundred feet north of where we pulled out last year. It'd be a great place for the family to go visit for a while and they could see and cheer you on as you go by.

#52 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

$15...! Highway robbery! Just Kidding, $15 is a steal if you ask me. My kids ski races cost way more than that, and I don't even get to ski. If people feel that is too much then they are way cheaper than I am, and I am cheap. Keep us posted.

#53 valcour

valcour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

Still trying to figure out a boat to use for this. I don't currently have a boat with a Portsmouth rating.

Anybody thinking about doing this in a Hobie Wave? Zero, I think you've got one. It would be cool to have some OD within the fleet.

#54 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

I have one but it is unlikely to be there this year. I think it would be a cool boat though and am strongly tempted to do it in the Wave in the future. This year however, the cosmos are moving me in another direction. But who cares, bring the Wave and have fun! Does yours have cup holders in the tramp because really that is essential to posting a good result here. Last year the other Sunfish had a mini keg strapped to the foredeck. I was a prat and sailed off ahead, but he had a better time! 4 beers safely in the tramp, all within easy reach, while the rest are in the hulls waiting their turn. A Wave should finish ahead of the pack so if there are other cats there you can chill out and be the life of the party. Hobie 14's, 16's and 17's don't have cup holders! Get a boat and show, it's a blast!

#55 Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Human folly.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Mystic Seaport and Mystic Aquarium are about 30 minutes from the finish.
SHC

#56 paddie

paddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:beer

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Where do I find more info about this race? Would love to participate again.

I stated sailing in the one run that was held by the lions club when I was around 10, sailed it for 8 years or so till they stopped holding it. My father sailed it back when it was sponsored by AMF alcort, Kahlua, and Coke. I've been missing this race for the past decade, still have the rubber ducky from the last time it was held.

Pretty excited when I googled the race to find this thread!!

#57 valcour

valcour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Kaluha and coke sponsored this in the past? Maybe we should try to get some sponsors ...

#58 paddie

paddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:beer

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

It was big back in the 80s. They launched from hartford and it was a party all the way down the river. When I first sailed it in the mid 90s it was only the old saybrook lions club putting it on, people still had coolers that took up the entire cockpit of their sunfish filled with tasty beverages and radios hanging from their booms. We usually ended up getting towed down to Hurd State Park for the night, then they started in Rockyhill to prevent lots of towing. There was always a keg and food ready for the fleet at Hurd, too bad I was underage back then.

They had vanguard as a sponsor for one year, '98 or '99.

#59 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

I finally got my shit together and got the NOR's done. I'm still having issues finding a decent place to have the gathering afterward, but the race will happen. At this point, there will be an entry fee per boat to cover the on-water expenses. I will keep working to find an arrangement for food/refreshments post-race.

A booze sponsor would be great. It might be an issue with the possible locations available this year though. I hope to move the party to a private club next year, but they are having waterfront work done this year.

To those that participated last year- What did you think of the trophies? To the others- What do you think of a framed photo of your boat racing for the class trophy? Last year I had a couple photographers on the support boats and printed the photos out after racing. I thought it was a unique idea and thinking of doing the same again this year.

Steve- You should come down and bring one of your toys.

There is a facebook page for anyone that wants to commit.https://www.facebook...n_mall_activity
There are also pictures from last year. https://www.facebook...=3&l=27e85f21c1

Dan

Attached Files

#60 Hobie

Hobie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Interests:Hobie 16 racing

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

I'm still having issues finding a decent place to have the gathering afterward, but the race will happen. At this point, there will be an entry fee per boat to cover the on-water expenses. I will keep working to find an arrangement for food/refreshments post-race.

Looks like there are a few restaurants down by the finish, Otter Cove and Back Porch.

#61 coelacanth2

coelacanth2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

My son and I thought the race was great, and Regatta Dog emailed me a great pic that is forever on my phone. The _in-race_ picture is hanging along with a group of small seascapes in our guest bedroom.
Again, great race, great time, great people.

#62 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:07 AM

whatever pans out will be fine. Any participants have a big driveway? As per the trophies they were cool, although as a picture framer...... Just kidding.

#63 jewing

jewing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:If you're on this site, probably not that much different than yours

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Can sailors get a time credit for stopping in Essex, running to the Black Seal, downing a pint, then running back? I think that should be worth at least the time stopped + 20mins...

Seriously, this is an awesome idea. Glad it's happening!

#64 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

why not just bring the pint along? See the pics page and check out the mini keg on the sunfish!

#65 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

whatever pans out will be fine. Any participants have a big driveway? As per the trophies they were cool, although as a picture framer...... Just kidding.

There is a YC right next door to my house about 10 min. away from the finish right on Hamburg Cove. If you're looking to drop the boat off so you can go sightseeing, we could make it work.

If you want to donate frames, I'll take them.

Can sailors get a time credit for stopping in Essex, running to the Black Seal, downing a pint, then running back? I think that should be worth at least the time stopped + 20mins...

Seriously, this is an awesome idea. Glad it's happening!

I was actually considering that as a possibility. It would be fun to make it as a requirement and not a time bonus, but that wouldn't work for minors/non-drinkers. Also, I'm not sure they would want to donate that much, it would be difficult to have to bring money, and it'd probably be an expensive bill for me to pick up.

#66 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

Leave your boat at Snow Guy's in Lyme or leave it in my driveway in Essex. PM me, Zero. I'm right behind the Post Office. I can accommodate 3 or 4 boat trailers for a few days.

#67 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

Frames, what size and how many? It will be a somewhat random assortment though from stock I have, can't go buying new at this slow time of year. A little shout out to Hunter Lea Gallery in Ludlow VT would be great. Let me know a little in advance so I can make them. The night before will not do.

My comment about the driveway was sort of a joke meaning we could all go party at someones house. Who knows, Essex it's a rich town (compared to Ludlow) you all might have mile long drives and butlers! :rolleyes:

If you make the bar a checkpoint, could sub21's get a soft drink? Make getting a receipt the proof, contestant pays, btw (PFD's have pockets) Course would the bar want a bunch of wet sailors in foulies and life jackets at the bar over the course of an hour or longer? Some people might not bother continuing on!

#68 USA_73

USA_73

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

U21 must go through the porthole in a PFD!

And I've been there in dinghy boots a few times. Wet foulies, many more.

#69 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,881 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

is a 505 allowed to enter?

#70 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

It has a Portsmouth number. It'd be great to see one out there!

#71 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

I really want to see how the Hobies make it under a 22' bridge, up on 1 hull or weighted with beer into submarine territory?

The H14 i just picked up has a 22'3" mast not counting freeboard or bob.

If it were a closer venue i would definitely make an effort to participate, looks like a great time.

With so many lamenting a lack of boats to go round the cans have to wonder how many they would pick up going down the river, round the island or down the shore to the bar/restaurant/campsite. Less emphasis on ranking and more on partying would do this sport good.

#72 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

A little shout out to Hunter Lea Gallery in Ludlow VT would be great.

+1 for the Hunter Lea Gallery. Zerothehero really has a great thing going on there.

#73 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Cavandish, no bridge this year, but they went through last year. Bridge had to open so the first boats were held up a little bit. It was chaos though because in addition to the bridge there was a strong wind line. Approaching the bridge there was 3 knts out of the North, past the bridge it was 10-15 out of the south, south-east.

Thanks Left Hook!

#74 Par Avion

Par Avion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, sailing, beer.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

Debating what to bring. I'm thinking an AMF flying fish. plenty of cooler room!

#75 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Why not the T?

#76 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Shame this conflicts with the Edlu race, which I'm doing on something which would by no means fit on the river.

I should make mustang__1 do it on the 29er with his girlfriend...

#77 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Shame this conflicts with the Edlu race, which I'm doing on something which would by no means fit on the river.

Then I could kick their ass on my sunfish....

#78 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

How can you be two places at the same time?

Happy Easter.

Posted Image

#79 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

I hear Sunfish are fast in this one...

#80 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

flying fish..... I think there should be a prize for "farthest out of mainstream ride". Crap, now I gotta make another frame!

#81 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

flying fish..... I think there should be a prize for "farthest out of mainstream ride". Crap, now I gotta make another frame!

how abut a fat guy in an Opti??

#82 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Where are you going to find an Opti?

#83 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

You should talk, lard ass.

#84 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

yeah, but you have to finish.......

#85 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:15 AM

Why do you think I stick to keelboats!? This thread is the most I've ever spent in dinghy anarchy.

#86 USA_73

USA_73

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

RD... Road Trip?? We could have 2 of them out there. That will also relieve me of my repair work on ZK.

#87 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,881 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Why not the T?

Although i used to know the Connecticut river pretty well, its now foreign to me. It's got a keel and i don't know where the rocks are. Besides, I need a lift to put it in and take it out.

#88 KRC

KRC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Any NOR / SI type things up yet? My old ride for the Edlu (and all other distance racing on the Sound) will not be racing this year. If I can't find another ride, I'd love the idea of a point-to-point race in a dinghy. I could probably talk my frostbite crew/boat owner into either doing it or lending me his boat.

#89 Snow Guy

Snow Guy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Any NOR / SI type things up yet? My old ride for the Edlu (and all other distance racing on the Sound) will not be racing this year. If I can't find another ride, I'd love the idea of a point-to-point race in a dinghy. I could probably talk my frostbite crew/boat owner into either doing it or lending me his boat.

The NOR and course description is in post 59 above. A laminated copy of the SI's will be provided at the skipper's meeting.

#90 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

giving this a bump in hopes we get more boats on the line

#91 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

So I just found out tonight I am out. Not a hope I can make it. A few days ago I called the rec. dept. in our town because my son came home all from school bummed out. Baseball was supposed to start that week but there was no coach so no baseball. Now the town rec guy could use a whoop ass and his organization skills are worse than mine, but.... So I called and, yup, no coach. 1 week in and not one person had stepped up. So I said I would do it. Hadn't seen a schedule or anything but there we were, so I said yes. Turns out opening day is, yep, May 12. Hot dogs, a parade on fire trucks, 1, possibly 2 games, a ceremony, it's all on for these kids. Probably one of the top 10 days all year for them. I found out the date on the way to the first practice, today, actually tonight. So I am out. These parents, who are already all up my ass about practice times (no control) and location (again no control) and cost, $40, are you kidding? Have to be there anyway. They sit there drinking mountain Dew, and complaining in their 40-32 jeans, and doing nothing, while I sweat it out rying to teaach junior something about baseball. So my 1 race of the summer is out and since this a three day a week deal, my Everglades Challenge is on the edge too. I am not happy, at all.

#92 USA_73

USA_73

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

Really? Couldn't have gotten him on a sailing team, and had him do the race?

Just kidding, I still don't have a floating sailboat.

#93 Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Human folly.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

My biggest problem is the Portsmouth Handicap part of the program.
The boats I would like to sail in this are one offs with absolutely no rating history at all.
Delaware Duckers are about as fast as Sunfish, but you can rate me the same as a 49er.
I don't care. Just would like to sail down the river with everyone.
SHC

#94 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

That didn't stop us during the beach cat race....at least for the first part of the day.

#95 USA_73

USA_73

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

That didn't stop us during the beach cat race....at least for the first part of the day.

Yeah, but the holes in the boat at that time were small compared to the current hole. At least it drains more quickly now...

#96 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

Not sure if you were commenting on my son and baseball, but I am going to run in that direction.

There really isn't any sailing around here. The biggest lake is 30 minutes away and is 1 mile by 7 miles, that's what you can sail. There are no junior programs at all. Nearest are Lake Sunapee, NH. or up in Burlington. Both are 2 hours away. This area has a lot going for it for raising kids, but sailing isn't one of them. However we do live on a small lake, a pond actually. This summer what my son wants really bad is a Puddle Duck racer (sailboat) with a cabin so we can overnight together. That's a pretty high goal for a 9 year old. He could want a 4 wheeler or a rifle (what most of friends want), but he wants a sailboat, an out of main stream one, but still. A Pdr is like a really big, slow, low tech opti for those that don't know. You build them yourself to some very few rules and you sail them in informal races. He was at the start of the Everglades Challenge this year and saw the EC Puddleduck and he thought it was the coolest boat there so that is what he wants. He and will build it together and he will learn to sail it. We will likely camp on it. In fact we may show up for the CT River race in it in the future. I have already done a mock up (my daughters Barbies love it!) and we will begin building next week with luck. But baseball is big here and there are loads of kids doing that, all his friends, and he loves it.

#97 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

oh, and Snowguy, I'll still make the frames. I'll UPS them

#98 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,186 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

Yeah, but the holes in the boat at that time were small compared to the current hole. At least it drains more quickly now...

By "drain", do you mean the boat or the river?

#99 USA_73

USA_73

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

By "drain", do you mean the boat or the river?

Yes.

#100 USA_73

USA_73

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Not sure if you were commenting on my son and baseball, but I am going to run in that direction.

There really isn't any sailing around here. The biggest lake is 30 minutes away and is 1 mile by 7 miles, that's what you can sail. There are no junior programs at all. Nearest are Lake Sunapee, NH. or up in Burlington. Both are 2 hours away. This area has a lot going for it for raising kids, but sailing isn't one of them. However we do live on a small lake, a pond actually. This summer what my son wants really bad is a Puddle Duck racer (sailboat) with a cabin so we can overnight together. That's a pretty high goal for a 9 year old. He could want a 4 wheeler or a rifle (what most of friends want), but he wants a sailboat, an out of main stream one, but still. A Pdr is like a really big, slow, low tech opti for those that don't know. You build them yourself to some very few rules and you sail them in informal races. He was at the start of the Everglades Challenge this year and saw the EC Puddleduck and he thought it was the coolest boat there so that is what he wants. He and will build it together and he will learn to sail it. We will likely camp on it. In fact we may show up for the CT River race in it in the future. I have already done a mock up (my daughters Barbies love it!) and we will begin building next week with luck. But baseball is big here and there are loads of kids doing that, all his friends, and he loves it.

Sounds like a great idea.

And your sailing choices don't look too bad. I live just over a mile away from the biggest lake in CT, and that's only just over a mile each direction with islands (and hidden rocks that eat cats). Essex is the closest racing at 25 min, and summers are spent sailing in Westbrook, 40 min away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users