#1 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

I will preface this rant with I am not a computer guy. If it works great - if it doesnt - Im pissed.

While checking out the cool photo of Boston Harbor from 1906 here on good Ole SA, the computer crashed and its taken me days and money to India to fix the spyware Malware problem. WTF is going on? Is this site no longer safe?

Im pissed.

F U.

There. Done.

#2 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:50 AM

Was this bug called

Trojan:DOS/Alureon.E by any chance ??? <_<

#3 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

I will preface this rant with I am not a computer guy. If it works great - if it doesnt - Im pissed.

While checking out the cool photo of Boston Harbor from 1906 here on good Ole SA, the computer crashed and its taken me days and money to India to fix the spyware Malware problem. WTF is going on? Is this site no longer safe?

Im pissed.

F U.

There. Done.

Did you say money to India?

You've been had....

dash

#4 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:06 AM

Ive had this service Iyogi from India (guessing) that fixes shit - constantly trying to sell me stuff - but gets things fixed - until the last couple days its worked.

It (the multiple spyware / malware) just took over my computer - redirects me to things I have no interest. Basicially I blame lame computer shitheads.

Appears to work now - but the residual and occaisional pop up still pisses me off.

#5 chinabald

chinabald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:50 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Go there and they can help you fix just about any virus, malware, spyware issue for free.

#6 dde

dde

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:07 AM

Download Combofix.
Boot in Safe Mode.
Run Combofix.
Enjoy being virus free.

You'd have to pay $200 to figure that out from the Geek Squad.

#7 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

I hate computers. Too bad we need them to be efficient. Lame.

Im gonna try the advice - gracias.

#8 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Go there and they can help you fix just about any virus, malware, spyware issue for free.

I've used them.

I got some crappy XP 2012 Security Center Maleware thing. Took forever to get it out.

Malwarebytes, Rkill and others to flush it out.

THe Malware seemed to be tailored for FireFox too. If I used any other browser, it would not come up.

But to be safe, I am going to do the good ole wipe and fresh install. It's been a few years anyway. Maybe this time I'll get that SSD and breath new life in to this 3.9lb laptop.

Now that I am using the SRWare Iron Browser maybe it will be different.

But the one thing that bothers me is.

• I log in as a limited user all the time and only surf the Net that way.
  • I have Eset Smart Security 5, that has all the goodies, or so it says.

SO how does this crap get in your system. I do not understand how it could install and edti registry settings when as a limited user, I can't even install a program or edit the registry.

These hackers are damn smart and they need to get real jobs because they are so f'ing smart. What a total waste of intelligence.

#9 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:29 AM

"You should not run ComboFix unless you are specifically asked to by a helper. Also, due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer."

Im out. This is the problem with simple usage of a computer - I use it for business - I use google to search things business related - I think computer people are out to control the world. I hope HAL shuts off your oxygen while you sleep. Official FU to you computer shitheads. The way you go about business to require our business by shuting down use and making things difficult is lame. Man - I hate ranting - now I have to buy another computer. FU. I actually feel a little better. Thanks.

#10 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

you probably have a browser helper object malware installed. normal antivirus won't pick them up. they live inside the browser.

try spybot search and destroy and hijack this! the folks at hijack this! will analyze the scan results and show you exactly what is wrong. for free.

#11 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

"You should not run ComboFix unless you are specifically asked to by a helper. Also, due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer."

Im out. This is the problem with simple usage of a computer - I use it for business - I use google to search things business related - I think computer people are out to control the world. I hope HAL shuts off your oxygen while you sleep. Official FU to you computer shitheads. The way you go about business to require our business by shuting down use and making things difficult is lame. Man - I hate ranting - now I have to buy another computer. FU. I actually feel a little better. Thanks.

Agreed on the the Combo Fix.

Here is the thread in the Malware bytes forum where I worked with a Tech to clean my sys. The thread is locked now but it is good reading.

It starts off after I read some instructions online and was still getting the malware popping up.

One thing about this type of malware. Do not click on anything that pops up or you are SCREWED. In the WIN world, press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close the program that popped up. It will be apparent in the list of programs.

I can say the MalwareBytes people were very helpful. Notice what forums they are using ;)

#12 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:05 AM

Microsoft has a free anti-virus/anti-malware service that is very good - they will stick with you until the problem is solved, call you back to see how things are going a couple of days later. I was impressed with the level of customer service as well as their technical abilities. 866-PCSAFETY.

WWing

#13 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

Microsoft has a free anti-virus/anti-malware service that is very good - they will stick with you until the problem is solved, call you back to see how things are going a couple of days later. I was impressed with the level of customer service as well as their technical abilities. 866-PCSAFETY.

WWing

But they will soon stop supporting XP which should have been fixed many many years ago.

MS is Major part of the problem because they will not fix the issue and that is............breaking the mold and stop supporting all the legacy apps.

[rant]
They should have done this with XP but they are a bunch of toilet (crappy) programmers and marketers. They only know how to muscle and leverage instead of INNOVATE.
[/rant]

#14 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

WWing

But they will soon stop supporting XP which should have been fixed many many years ago.

MS is Major part of the problem because they will not fix the issue and that is............breaking the mold and stop supporting all the legacy apps.

[rant]
They should have done this with XP but they are a bunch of toilet (crappy) programmers and marketers. They only know how to muscle and leverage instead of INNOVATE.
[/rant]

Good rant!

Feel better?

WWing

#15 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

If malwarebytes in safe mode won't fix it (and some of the redirects are very hard to clean), go to bleepingcomputer.com. For free they will walk you through what prograsm to run and what actions to take. I ran into one that basically made all my programs "disappear" . Bleepingcomputer got me back up and running. Combofix works but can really screw things up if you don't know what you are doing.

Hijack this used to be pretty good. I used a combo of it and then MWB to get rid of a very persistant redirect trojan last year.

I've been successful using bleeping computer without starting a new thread when I see the identical problem, but YMMV.

#16 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

Man - I hate ranting - now I have to buy another computer. FU. I actually feel a little better. Thanks.

getting a Mac then ?

or this could happen to you again tomorrow

#17 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

Man - I hate ranting - now I have to buy another computer. FU. I actually feel a little better. Thanks.

getting a Mac then ?

Yea, and I got some beach front property in the desert too.

Viruses and Malware are on the rise for both Mac and Linux. You just don't hear so much about them yet. I hear Leo LaPorte, a National syndicated Radio Tech show, talk about the issues now arising with Mac's on the net all the time.

No one is safe.

#18 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

getting a Mac then ?

"get a mac" should be banished from all vocabularies. they aren't the be all and end all. they don't cure cancer. they don't restore virginity. they don't cure hangovers or increase your iq. sure, everyone says "they just work", but what happens when they don't? oh yeah, you take it to a mac store and pay a pfg* to fix it. he'd be no further ahead than he is now. in fact, he'd be behind, as he'd have just shelled out a premium in overpriced apple branded intel hardware. stop buying into the steve jobs fanboi culture already.

* pimply faced geek

#19 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

getting a Mac then ?

"get a mac" should be banished from all vocabularies. they aren't the be all and end all. they don't cure cancer. they don't restore virginity. they don't cure hangovers or increase your iq. sure, everyone says "they just work", but what happens when they don't? oh yeah, you take it to a mac store and pay a pfg* to fix it. he'd be no further ahead than he is now. in fact, he'd be behind, as he'd have just shelled out a premium in overpriced apple branded intel hardware. stop buying into the steve jobs fanboi culture already.

* pimply faced geek

That's funny PFG

When my son bought his first (and Last Iphone) we went to the Apple Store in the Oaks Mall. I could not believe the line for tech support/repairs at 11am. It seems that Mac's do have problems.

But I must say, it was a nice store. A nice, not PFG, girl met us at the door and directed us right where we needed to look at phones.

#20 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

A nice, not PFG, girl met us at the door and directed us right where we needed to look at phones.

that's a red flag right there. a hostess? did she bring menus to your viewing area? tell you about the daily specials? did she come by later to check on you after your server, er, sales person, took your order? did you tip well?

that's exactly the shopping experience i don't want. let me browse in peace. if i need help, trust me, you'll know.

i was in a store buying lights yesterday. credit card app girl stood and watched me browse for 5 minutes. i had just found what i was after when she approaches.
"have you managed to select the lights you want?" obviously, they are under my arm as i am leaving the isle.
"yes, i'm fine" walking around her trying to get to the check out.
"great! how would you like to apply for a..."
"no thanks, not interested"
"but it's free to apply and has 90 days no inter..."
"really. i've already said no thanks. keep pushing and my next response won't be as polite"

same shit in a gas station. walk around the store buying snacks and drinks while the credit card guy watches. pay for my stuff and gas, walk out to the car and start pumping. now trapped, he comes out and presses for the application.
"you just watched me walk around the store for 5 minutes where you could have asked, but you wait until i am cornered? do you seriously think i am going to be polite in saying no?"

who the fuck comes up with these ambush tactics?

back on topic... you can use msconfig to check and see if anything glaringly obvious is running that shouldn't be. great place to disable all those resource hogging auto update features programs run in the background. adobe and google are notorious for it. every time adobe reader updates it resets adobe air auto update. i really wish software makers would respect our settings no matter how important they think their user experience is.

#21 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

A nice, not PFG, girl met us at the door and directed us right where we needed to look at phones.

that's a red flag right there. a hostess? did she bring menus to your viewing area? tell you about the daily specials? did she come by later to check on you after your server, er, sales person, took your order? did you tip well?

that's exactly the shopping experience i don't want. let me browse in peace. if i need help, trust me, you'll know.

What it told me was the people that buy Macs are so stupid that they need to be told which like to get in.

Where is Steve (I need someone to tell me what I need) Jobs when we need him? ...........................

Maybe I need a new Eye-Phone, This will explain it (only 46 seconds):

#22 ExOmo

ExOmo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:59 AM

Another Option if you can't even start windows.

#23 MisterMoon

MisterMoon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:10 AM

Im pissed.

F U.

There. Done.

I had the same experience on Friday on my work computer: went to the Boston Harbor photo link from SA and got the bug. That's not awkward, is it? Oh well, the IT techs will have to fix it for me in the morning. For what it's worth, this particular bit of malware has hit dozens of workstations in my office where we're all loaded down with firewalls and enterprise antivirus stuff, so don't feel pregnant if you get it.

#24 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,308 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:54 AM

getting a Mac then ?

* pimply faced geek

That's funny PFG

When my son bought his first (and Last Iphone) we went to the Apple Store in the Oaks Mall. I could not believe the line for tech support/repairs at 11am. It seems that Mac's do have problems.

But I must say, it was a nice store. A nice, not PFG, girl met us at the door and directed us right where we needed to look at phones.

so she sent you to Verizon Posted Image

Everyone know why a New BMW cost so much and a used one is so cheep

OK I'll tell the other (3) guys

those things are such a POS they charge you what they know it will cost to keep XX% running till out of warranty &/or Lease Posted Image

You are paying for the expected cost to fix or replace the amount of expected failure

I'd guess a BMW is priced at 2X its value when new as it includes

keeping the facker running till the payments or lease are completed - look at the value there-after

FACK Steve Jabb-US

your 1st Mc product is a glass -Filled with Mc-KOOLAID

Drink it and you are a Mc-ZOMBIE

the only difference between my PC and your Mc (besides Pri$e)

is what your buddy Steve did in creating your "Mc-Chain & Ball" = computer (no better no worse, just more expansive)

it's just the "intended' to be different - Propriety Parts of each OS

they are not that different - they just don't interchange - WonDUMBer why

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users