85 replies to this topic

#1 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

As you all know by now, the Bayview Yacht Club is launching the "Bayview One Design Regatta" scheduled for June 01-03, 2012. Yes, there will be some PHRF also for those interested. We want everyone out on the course instead of the docks.

Registration is now open and the NOR is posted for this new event.

Mark your calendar and sign up for it! Bayview OD Regatta Registration

Don't miss out!

Merry Christmas

#2 Damaged Goods

Damaged Goods

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Community organizing.

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

So, how's it pronounced? "bODD", "bOOOd" as in "Don't sail in the NOOD, sail in the BOOD!"?

#3 haz

haz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

So, how's it pronounced? "bODD", "bOOOd" as in "Don't sail in the NOOD, sail in the BOOD!"?

I think it rhymes with hood ... as in BOOD in the hood.

#4 Spyder

Spyder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

LZ,

please tell us what BYC learned from watching the NOOD decline over the years and what you will do that is any different (read better).
It does not matter what banner a regatta flys under, bad is bad. After all these years I was going to by-pass 2012, why should I return?

#5 Slow Ed

Slow Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

Good luck to BYC in this years regatta, how ever you say it. The 7.9 class is taking there show to MBYC that weekend.

#6 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

Since it has now become an antique, I will start the bidding out at $500 for my 2011 Detroit Nood hat.

#7 barleymalt

barleymalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,244 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

Since it has now become an antique, I will start the bidding out at $500 for my 2011 Detroit Nood hat.

I'll bundle my third place shirt..No wait, only first place got shirts...

#8 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

LZ,

please tell us what BYC learned from watching the NOOD decline over the years and what you will do that is any different (read better).
It does not matter what banner a regatta flys under, bad is bad. After all these years I was going to by-pass 2012, why should I return?

I'm not directly involved in the organization of the event but have you ever been to a bad event run by Bayview? It is our event now so plan on it and be there!

Cheers, LZ

#9 Spyder

Spyder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

LZ,

I'm not directly involved in the organization of the event but have you ever been to a bad event run by Bayview? It is our event now so plan on it and be there!

Cheers, LZ

#10 Spyder

Spyder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

LZ,

I’m not singling you out but “trust us we’re Bayview” is not a marketing campaign.

Who ever is in charge of this thing needs to remember that BYC is selling what was an over priced and tarnished product to the same people who were fleeced before. There are no new customers here so you need to make up for past mistakes even if BYC did not have a say in them.
Tell us why the price break goes from “over priced” at 24 feet to “wretchedly over priced” at the point where the perennially biggest class (Cal-25) buys in?
Tell us how the races will be better run, how the parties will be better timed, how BYC is going to expand on the best run regattas in (pick you favorite locations).

#11 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

So Spyder, I posed your questions/points to the organizers and here are some of their responses for you:

- The acronym is BOD for Bayview One Design. Sounds like Todd with a B.
- We've lowered prices below last year's NOOD pricing. We've checked out other regatta pricing and believe we are comparable or lower. Check them out as they are in the NOR
- Dinghy pricing is lower to reflect the smaller crews and easier RC work in front of Club.
- Launching and haul-out is FREE.
- Berthing is FREE.
- We will be moving circles closer to BYC to reduce travel time.
- We will have rolling starts for more racing.
- We will have a Saturday non-counter "Champagne" race back to Bayview.
- We intend to have music playing and beverages available when sailors step off their boats.
- Instead of wristbands we intend to have inexpensive food/beverage options available.
- Many more awards than in past.
- As always we will have well run races by experienced RC.
- We will party well into the night.

It is still early and we'll have more to come as planning continues.

I'm sure they are open for constructive suggestions and ideas to make it a great event. If you have any (constructive), let me know and I'll make sure it gets to the right hands.

LZ

#12 big chicken

big chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:sailing, performance rally

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Luiz,

Two questions:

1) In the past there was a Level 120 (PHRF) class that was sailed without handicap. Are level classes being considered and if so will a PHRF certificate be required in those classes?

2) I see that the NOR states that PHRF boats must have a DRYA PHRF certificate. Has there been any thought given to accepting other areas certificates such as PHRF-LE in addition to DRYA?

#13 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

hockey

#14 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Luiz,

Two questions:

1) In the past there was a Level 120 (PHRF) class that was sailed without handicap. Are level classes being considered and if so will a PHRF certificate be required in those classes?

2) I see that the NOR states that PHRF boats must have a DRYA PHRF certificate. Has there been any thought given to accepting other areas certificates such as PHRF-LE in addition to DRYA?

BC,

Happy New Year... The Holidays delayed the responses from the OA so here they are:

1) 1. Our intention is to have PHRF handicapped classes for Saturday and Sunday and don’t expect to have Level racing. I’m not quite sure why you’d have Level racing if you have handicapped. However, that is not to say if a full class requested Level racing that we wouldn’t consider it. Then we would also have to determine if the Level classes would race 2 or 3 days. Regardless, we will require PHRF certificates whether we do or not.

2. 2) We will be making allowances to allow non-DRYA PHRF certificates. However, the OA will make rating adjustments as necessary for consistency between boats. We have yet to determine if these adjustments will be made through the DRYA or an OA selected ratings committee. We will post additional information on the website as it becomes available.

#15 davesimon

davesimon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

LZ - love the answers to questions. You got it right with rolling starts, eliminating wristbands, and music. Wish the pricing could have come down more, but OK let's rock and roll and in the end I think we will spend less and have more fun with the wristband shortage/cost problem gone away. Will make efforts to have as many Cal25s on the line as we can.

#16 big chicken

big chicken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:sailing, performance rally

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

L Z,

Thanks for the responses.

#17 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:31 AM

LZ,

I'm not singling you out but "trust us we're Bayview" is not a marketing campaign.

Who ever is in charge of this thing needs to remember that BYC is selling what was an over priced and tarnished product to the same people who were fleeced before. There are no new customers here so you need to make up for past mistakes even if BYC did not have a say in them.
Tell us why the price break goes from "over priced" at 24 feet to "wretchedly over priced" at the point where the perennially biggest class (Cal-25) buys in?
Tell us how the races will be better run, how the parties will be better timed, how BYC is going to expand on the best run regattas in (pick you favorite locations).

You sound like the perfect volunteer. Contact Karl or Hanson for your work details.

#18 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

hockey

Best part of any regatta. I'll suggest it at the meeting Thursday.

#19 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

The difference in price is slight, it would have been smarter if that wasn't a selling point. I understand there's costs involved, one negative of kicking SW to the curb is incurring the costs they paid. But don't sell this event like a cost effective alternative to the SW NOOD, because it is not.

One thing that would have helped with the declining participation and costs was to make this a Saturday - Sunday event, two full days. The Detroit NOOD was mostly local with declining out of town participation. So why not let us save our vacation day on Friday and race the entire day on Sunday? Rubber stamping the NOOD format and expecting a better result or increased participation is a tenuous expectation. Changing the party format, promising closer, faster racing and allowing dinghies are minor changes.

All that being said if our crew is chomping at the bit for 3 days of racing we'll be there, if not I'll crew with some friends. Either way I'm happy B)

#20 Polaris

Polaris

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

The difference in price is slight, it would have been smarter if that wasn't a selling point. I understand there's costs involved, one negative of kicking SW to the curb is incurring the costs they paid. But don't sell this event like a cost effective alternative to the SW NOOD, because it is not.

One thing that would have helped with the declining participation and costs was to make this a Saturday - Sunday event, two full days. The Detroit NOOD was mostly local with declining out of town participation. So why not let us save our vacation day on Friday and race the entire day on Sunday? Rubber stamping the NOOD format and expecting a better result or increased participation is a tenuous expectation. Changing the party format, promising closer, faster racing and allowing dinghies are minor changes.

All that being said if our crew is chomping at the bit for 3 days of racing we'll be there, if not I'll crew with some friends. Either way I'm happy B)

It's a Friday vacation day on a short week as the Monday of that week is always Memorial day making it tough to leave. Some well thought out decisions were made to make it easier for all.

#21 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

It's a Friday vacation day on a short week as the Monday of that week is always Memorial day making it tough to leave. Some well thought out decisions were made to make it easier for all.

For me personally I'll be working a Sunday through Wednesday schedule and my brother and I can split days on the water. That's not really an issue for the two of us, but it has for our crew and other skippers and crews I'm sure.

The whole premise behind a full day on Friday and half on Sunday is to make the event worthwhile for out of town boats. I just hope this event doesn't get the same amount or fewer out of town boats than in the past. Last year out of town boats accounted for 20% of entries and looking at the names most are the diehards that have been coming to Detroit since the start.

#22 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Just so you know, the decision to have a 2 or 3 day regatta was not taken lightly. We did send out a survey and are thankfull to the 400+ people that responded to it. There was a 2 to 1 response in favor of a 3 day over a 2. The survey was not the only reason for a 3 day regatta. One thing that you have to consider is that people that travel into town are looking to get a lot of racing in. If you do a 2 day and have unfavorable weather for one of them, then people view the regatta as a bust. I am not saying tht a 3 day regatta can't have bad weather, but at least it increases the chance of getting races in. As far as the cost goes, we are not trying to sell the regatta solely on the reduced pricing. It is only one of the many little things that we are trying to do in order to make the event better. It is our belief and hope that all the little changes that we make will add up to a great event. We understand that we cannot make everyone happy and that we do not know all, but what we do know is that something needed to be done and we are trying to do it. This regatta is a work in progress and we are open to reasonable suggetions. If anyone out there would like to get involved with th event, please feel free to contact me.

Karl Kuspa

#23 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Just so you know, the decision to have a 2 or 3 day regatta was not taken lightly. We did send out a survey and are thankfull to the 400+ people that responded to it. There was a 2 to 1 response in favor of a 3 day over a 2. The survey was not the only reason for a 3 day regatta. One thing that you have to consider is that people that travel into town are looking to get a lot of racing in. If you do a 2 day and have unfavorable weather for one of them, then people view the regatta as a bust. I am not saying tht a 3 day regatta can't have bad weather, but at least it increases the chance of getting races in. As far as the cost goes, we are not trying to sell the regatta solely on the reduced pricing. It is only one of the many little things that we are trying to do in order to make the event better. It is our belief and hope that all the little changes that we make will add up to a great event. We understand that we cannot make everyone happy and that we do not know all, but what we do know is that something needed to be done and we are trying to do it. This regatta is a work in progress and we are open to reasonable suggetions. If anyone out there would like to get involved with th event, please feel free to contact me.

Karl Kuspa

I got that survey and took it. I tried bringing it back up on Survey Monkey, but it seems to have expired. Forgive me, but I don't recall the number of days being a question in the survey. I remember having to mention that in the comments section.

400 responses is a lot of data, but is it good data? IIRC 101 entries in last years NOOD, the peak was at I want to say around 250, 5 hears ago? What was the proportion of skippers in that survey of 400? It seems like 400 responses is more than the total of owners/skippers who've competed in the Detroit SW NOOD all together. Point I'm trying to make is the owners/skippers are the ones whose feedback matter.

Again sorry if I'm mistaken,
-Dan

#24 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Karl Kuspa

I got that survey and took it. I tried bringing it back up on Survey Monkey, but it seems to have expired. Forgive me, but I don't recall the number of days being a question in the survey. I remember having to mention that in the comments section.

400 responses is a lot of data, but is it good data? IIRC 101 entries in last years NOOD, the peak was at I want to say around 250, 5 hears ago? What was the proportion of skippers in that survey of 400? It seems like 400 responses is more than the total of owners/skippers who've competed in the Detroit SW NOOD all together. Point I'm trying to make is the owners/skippers are the ones whose feedback matter.

Again sorry if I'm mistaken,
-Dan

Dan,

You are absolutely correct that 400 responses way out number the amount of boats that we have had over the years. I guess we value the voice of the crews as well as the owners. There were a lot of great ideas that came out of the survey both from owners and from crew. I actually liked part of your response in the comment section and that is why we pushed the time that the last race can be started on sunday back from what it used to be in the previous event. We are hoping it will allow for us to get an extra race in on sunday.

Karl

#25 glexpress

glexpress

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

You are absolutely correct that 400 responses way out number the amount of boats that we have had over the years. I guess we value the voice of the crews as well as the owners. There were a lot of great ideas that came out of the survey both from owners and from crew. I actually liked part of your response in the comment section and that is why we pushed the time that the last race can be started on sunday back from what it used to be in the previous event. We are hoping it will allow for us to get an extra race in on sunday.

Karl

That's good that sailing later on Sunday is being looked at. Also I shouldn't totally don't discredit the opinions of crew, perhaps I should have said skippers views matter MOST. I do know the Detroit NOOD is a favorite for crews already, looks like they're in for even more fun.

Thanks for your efforts!
Dan

#26 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Bump....18 boats registered.

#27 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

see ya there

#28 7.9 sailor

7.9 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • Interests:7.9's, other OD, rigging, Great Lakes racing

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

Good luck to BYC in this years regatta, how ever you say it. The 7.9 class is taking there show to MBYC that weekend.

Slow Ed's right. MBYC is having the S2 7.9 Class sanctioned event that weekend. At the last GM the Class wanted something that would cover the Detroit and the Chicago NOODs, MBYC stepped up. NOR will be out soon, watch the Class site: http://www.sail79s.org/

#29 oneguyfromdetroit

oneguyfromdetroit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll, Motorcycles

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:46 AM

Slow Ed's right. MBYC is having the S2 7.9 Class sanctioned event that weekend. At the last GM the Class wanted something that would cover the Detroit and the Chicago NOODs, MBYC stepped up. NOR will be out soon, watch the Class site: http://www.sail79s.org/

Good to know.

#30 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

Bump - 61 boats registered and that doesnt include any of the Lightnings that are sailing. 9 of them so far have announced they are coming. That makes 70 boats and its only February

MS

#31 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Bump - 61 boats registered and that doesnt include any of the Lightnings that are sailing. 9 of them so far have announced they are coming. That makes 70 boats and its only February

MS

If you know 9 of them are coming, get them to sign up and 10 more will show up!

What are they waiting for?

#32 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

7 Vipers signed up so far, certainly more to come.

Making plans for a demo for anyone who might want to go for a sail to try out the most fun 20' sporty with the most racing all over North America. Details in a week or two (off to Miami for demo and regatta). Email me, dan at rondarboats dot com, to arrange for a demo sail. Might just have the 2-person K6 along with me as well.

#33 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:38 AM

MS

If you know 9 of them are coming, get them to sign up and 10 more will show up!

What are they waiting for?

http://www.lightningclass.org/racing/calendar/eventWhoscoming.asp?ID=479&event=Bayview%20One%20Design%20Regatta

MS

#34 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

71 Boats registered as of Feb 6th. Not a bad start!

#35 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

The Bayview One Design Regatta is now up to 101 boats registered. That was the total for last years Detroit NOOD. Things are shaping up to make this a great event. A couple things worth noting. Due to the feedback that we have been getting from the Dinghy Circle, we have changes their event to a Sat/ Sun. Price for Dinghy's Circle has been lowered to $80. If all the crew on the boat are 18 or under, then entry is $25. We have also brought back the Warhorse Class. This will be sailed under PHRF Sat/ Sun. Need the following to qualify: SAD of 22 or less, no bow sprit, and 36 ft or longer. The NOR ammendment's will be posted real soon. Our goal is to give the sailors what they want for an event. All requests have been assessed for feasability and we are taking action when we can. If you haven't signed up yet, it is never too early. To register please visit: http://www.yachtscor...enu.cfm?eID=202

#36 GIBY

GIBY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Making plans for a demo for anyone who might want to go for a sail to try out the most fun 20' sporty with the most racing all over North America. Details in a week or two (off to Miami for demo and regatta). Email me, dan at rondarboats dot com, to arrange for a demo sail. Might just have the 2-person K6 along with me as well.

Hi Dan, Keep me posted with details on the Viper Demo Day. I can make my boat available to use so there's more than one on the water to take people out on.

BTW 7 Vipers are now registered.

#37 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hi Dan, Keep me posted with details on the Viper Demo Day. I can make my boat available to use so there's more than one on the water to take people out on.

BTW 7 Vipers are now registered.

Oh, don't worry, I'll be in touch with all of the Vipers attending! Posted Image

There will be a Viper Demo Day and opportunities during the BOD. Email dan at rondarboats dot com if you want to be sure you have a demo spot. I'll rotate my regatta crew spots for people who are interested in more time in the boat, including helm time.

#38 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Weekly update.... 123 boats registered. Things are really progressing for the event. We are working hard to get things in place. Unfortunately nothing new to report this week, but stayed tuned we have a lot of stuff to announce in the real near future as we get things finalized. For now, if you haven't registered, please do. If you have, how about contacting others in your class to get them to come and race. The more boats on the line the better the weekend will be! You can view the NOR and register at http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm

#39 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Can't keep up.... make it 124 boats!

#40 Gary M

Gary M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hope you guys noticed that we have 8 S2 9.1s registered. As far as I know this is the first one design for this class in this area. We are pretty excited to get together for this regatta.

#41 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hope you guys noticed that we have 8 S2 9.1s registered. As far as I know this is the first one design for this class in this area. We are pretty excited to get together for this regatta.

We HAVE noticed and are excited to have you guys there!

#42 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

As of noon today we have 136 Boats registered. From the feedback we are getting, we are expecting many more.

Like to announce and Thank our first Daily Sponsor. North Sails has stepped up as the daily sponsor for Saturday 6/2.

In addition to North Sails, we have the following who have signed on as Associate Sponsors: Bell's Beer, Mt Gay Rum, Armadillo, Thomas Hardware and Yachtscoring.com

Thanks to all the sponsor's who have signed on in support of what will be a great event!

With today being St Patty's Day, why not head to a bar, start off with a Pint of Bell's Beer, do a shot of Mt Gay, get out your cell phone and call Armadillo to order your new crew gear, then Thomas Hardware to order that new halyard you were thinking about and then check out Yachtscoring.com to keep up with what is going on with sailing around the World!! After another pint of Bell's Beer and another shot of Mt Gay, it is time to talk to North Sails about what they have to offer you! Can't think of a better way to spend the day!!

Many Classes on the verge of being formed.

Like to highlight the Lightning Class that has really embraced the event with 22 boats registered thus far.

Events don't run themselves.... looking for volunteers. We could definately use some people to help out on RC boats.

Entertainment committee has had several meetings and we hope to have some announcements in the next few weeks about the great things his committee has in store.

Never too early to register. Please visit http://www.yachtscoring.com/​emenu.cfm?eID=202

Happy St Patty's Day everyone!!

#43 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

bringing a boat there from buffalo this weekend and hope to arrive sunday morning
if anyone may be available to run us up to grab a car at the airport i'll pay with a bottle of rum at the regatta
thanks
carv

#44 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

bringing a boat there from buffalo this weekend and hope to arrive sunday morning
if anyone may be available to run us up to grab a car at the airport i'll pay with a bottle of rum at the regatta
thanks
carv

Jeff,

PM me and if I cant do it I will find someone who can.

MS

#45 pez

pez

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:bitches, boats

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:36 AM

Where is a good place to get bloody marys in the morning before racing?

#46 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Ah, the important questions!
It's all about Preparation. And Local Knowledge...

Hominy Grill, Charleston SC.

#47 pez

pez

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:bitches, boats

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

Ah, the important questions!
It's all about Preparation. And Local Knowledge...

Hominy Grill, Charleston SC.

Wrong Regatta!

Although I'm up for the detour. Detroit 10 = Annapolis 6, we're in trouble!

#48 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

The Bayview Bar will be open and pouring.

#49 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

thanks MS and LZ for the help last weekend
we'll be back.....
Carv

#50 cariguy

cariguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Wow- 207 entries! I think Sailski deserves kudos for kicking off this event. The numbers are almost double from last year's Detroit NOODS.

#51 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

looking forward to it

#52 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,627 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Wow- 207 entries! I think Sailski deserves kudos for kicking off this event. The numbers are almost double from last year's Detroit NOODS.

+1

#53 davesimon

davesimon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Sincere appreciation. thanks, and congratulations to Bayview for a great weekend. Turnout was huge, race committee work was excellent, and all of the on-line stuff was easy from registration through final results. The parties were a blast with multiple bands, and caring sponsors made it easy on a skipper's wallet - thank you Bell's Beer and Mount Gay Rum. Everything felt right about the way the regatta was organized and run.

Nice work arranging for a little bit more wind than we needed.

Best wishes to Bayview for keeping this thing at a high level of participation and growing it over the next few years.

#54 FINS

FINS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Sincere appreciation. thanks, and congratulations to Bayview for a great weekend. Turnout was huge, race committee work was excellent, and all of the on-line stuff was easy from registration through final results. The parties were a blast with multiple bands, and caring sponsors made it easy on a skipper's wallet - thank you Bell's Beer and Mount Gay Rum. Everything felt right about the way the regatta was organized and run.

Nice work arranging for a little bit more wind than we needed.

Best wishes to Bayview for keeping this thing at a high level of participation and growing it over the next few years.

YEA what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT REGATTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#55 ClimbnSail

ClimbnSail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

I wish I remembered to get good vids, anyone have any of the big breeze?

#56 rknoles

rknoles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Some shit from the windward mark D Course. Saturday.

Attached Files

#57 rknoles

rknoles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

More.

Attached Files

#58 L Z

L Z

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

More photos here... http://photoelement.smugmug.com/

#59 Madge

Madge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hello,

I was a member of Course B Race Committee, a very profesisonal and fun group of people. This was a well run event and one that I hope continues on an annual basis. The club members really supported the event - very helpful and friendly.

The golf cart transporation is wonderful improvement from my last visit to Bayview Yacht Club. :)

Next up, perhaps maybe the installation of another women's shower stall to bring the total number up to two ?

As mentioned, a really, good, fun event.

M.

#60 rknoles

rknoles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Clean waking up.

Attached Files

#61 rknoles

rknoles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

weather mark

Attached Files

#62 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

I wish I remembered to get good vids, anyone have any of the big breeze?

Hit up Trey Rose on Facebook. He had 2 GoPro's on his Lightning all weekend.

MS

#63 Jon Russell

Jon Russell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Great event, first class all the way. Thanks to all who gave thier time and energy to support this event and make it the success it was.

#64 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:Psychoanalysis of dormant amoebas, underwater basket weaving, phlembology, political activism for alien sub-species, counting to twelve, making square blocks fit into round holes, yadda, yadda, yadda

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Certainly cannot complain of any lack of wind.
Congrats to Mr. Bill winning PHRF A. Nice job keeping your chute up on that last leg Sunday.

Fun regatta.

#65 old bow

old bow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

[quote name='More Cowbell2' timestamp='1338832159' post='3738004']
Certainly cannot complain of any lack of wind.
Congrats to Mr. Bill winning PHRF A. Nice job keeping your chute up on that last leg Sunday.

Fun regatta.

And to those other J35 owners that elected to sit home this weekend we say HA! you missed the best Detroit Reggata in the last decade!
Good job Falcon

#66 coyotepup

coyotepup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hello,

I was a member of Course B Race Committee, a very profesisonal and fun group of people. This was a well run event and one that I hope continues on an annual basis. The club members really supported the event - very helpful and friendly.

The golf cart transporation is wonderful improvement from my last visit to Bayview Yacht Club. :)

Next up, perhaps maybe the installation of another women's shower stall to bring the total number up to two ?

As mentioned, a really, good, fun event.

M.

I was crewing a Beneteau on course B. Thanks for the solid RC work. You guys done good!

(Especially thank you for answering our prayers on Sunday with a general recall that let our dumb asses catch back up to the fleet :wacko: whoooooooops)

#67 More Cowbell2

More Cowbell2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

......except for the windward mark boat that said during the start sequence on Sunday's first race when it was only 12 - 13 kts said "yeah, this wind should hold until this afternoon. Then it is going to lighten up."

#68 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

......except for the windward mark boat that said during the start sequence on Sunday's first race when it was only 12 - 13 kts said "yeah, this wind should hold until this afternoon. Then it is going to lighten up."

That sounds like a J. Theodore Everingham quote.

#69 Gary M

Gary M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

I have to agree, great weekend, well organized, great committee work on Course B. And cheap booze! 9.1 fleet was a great experience.

#70 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Great work all around, with mother nature giving her endorsement of the new but more successful 'locally grown' BOD regatta. Had a lot of fun, even in an Ultimate 20!

#71 ClimbnSail

ClimbnSail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

Checked the linky and can't find any pics. Thought there was supposed to be an 'event photographer' which I was hoping to be mrs. clean. Never saw a photog on the big boat course and I am sad I didn't bring my camera. There was plenty of wind, close roundings, knockdowns, carnage, etc. This would have been great if someone got it, but I guess not. Also, no frontpage coverage of a grassroots effort? Bummer for BOD and SA to not work together.

#72 coyotepup

coyotepup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Checked the linky and can't find any pics. Thought there was supposed to be an 'event photographer' which I was hoping to be mrs. clean. Never saw a photog on the big boat course and I am sad I didn't bring my camera. There was plenty of wind, close roundings, knockdowns, carnage, etc. This would have been great if someone got it, but I guess not. Also, no frontpage coverage of a grassroots effort? Bummer for BOD and SA to not work together.

The link has the pictures right there. How did you miss them? The top six galleries on the page are from the BOD. Lots of pictures from the big boat course.

#73 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

Mer was racing on a Viper, the Event Photographer was a fun but wacky Pole named Martin who pretty clearly had no idea what to shoot. We watched him clicking away for a half hour while we waited for the RC to set a course. Might be the world's best photographer, but doing regattas is a whole new ball of twine.

That being said, good on BYC for at least having someone dedicated to it for this one. Next year they'll hopefully get someone with a little experience, and maybe even hire a video team.

#74 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

Having gone through the pics quickly, let me take a little of that back: He is not the world's greatest photographer!

Must be 2000 pics in those galleries, most of them useless. Anyway, pics and video are just a footnote to this successful event. They proved they could pull it off a lot better than Sailing World had been doing, proved they could get the entries (big boats alone were up over 40% over the 2011 NOOD, and all the dinghies were just gravy), and next year, Bayview can get all the little details right and prove that the BOD is an event everyone in the US should have on their calendar.

I'll give you one example of a really, really cool thing that I've never seen happen in the SW days: Only five Vipers made it town, yet on Friday the motorless sporties still had to sail upwind about 5 miles (against the current) to the C Course. The wind of course shifted during the day, and after 3 races, they had to sail that same distance, upwind, back to BYC. Saturday, they had a fast ride out with 15+ up the ass, but that had increased to 25-30 for a bone-jarring ride upwind ride back at the end of the day. Meanwhile, the Ultimate 20s, Rebels, and Wayfarers raced in the river all weekend, mere meters from the dock, on fun, short courses that every Detroiter who's done Thursday night beer cans is familiar with. Since there was obviously plenty of room in the river for a fistful of Vipers, a few racers polled their fleet, and asked Karl "sailski" Kuspa if it was possible to race in the river. Less than two hours later, the RC and organizers had sorted it out. With breeze in the 20s again on Sunday morning, I can tell you there were an awful lot of happy Viperers headed out to the course at 9:45 instead of 7:30. When chatting about the situation to a few Melges 24 and Viper friends, one of them made an interesting suggestion: "It would be great if the Melges 24s and Vipers could both have a day or two in the river to mix things up," though both Viperers and 24 sailors agreed that they wanted to race on the lake as well. It's the kind of unusual request that would never fly in the homogenized world of the NOOD, and just the kind of outside-the-box decision that helped the BOD attract nearly 200 boats to its inaugural event.

#75 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:32 AM

Let me take that back: Not all useless!

Posted Image

#76 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

meanwhile, they hired the lead singer of the band that played Mer and my wedding for entertainment outside. And he was awesome, as was the band on Saturday night. Go the Jorg!

Posted Image

#77 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:35 AM

Marcin Chumiecki is the name of the photographer - you can check out his site here. Super nice, really interesting history with Lech Walesa, and going through his portfolio, seems quite skilled. But I think this was his first ever sailing event.

#78 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

Posted Image

#79 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

Just the facts, ma'am.

Clean Report

BODybuilding

It's been a couple of years since I sailed here in the Midwest; a bit ironic since sailing on Lake St. Clair is what got me hooked on racing in the first place. It's pretty sad that I moved back almost 18 months ago and my first time racing since then was just this past weekend, at the Bayview One Design regatta (the BOD).

Even when it was still a NOOD regatta, the BYC event was always one of the most fun, but rapidly declining numbers over the past few years had taken much of the life out of Michigan's biggest multi-class regatta. Enter Detroit jack-of-all-trades and pro sailor Karl Kuspa, whose foot injury kept him off of boats for a few months. Rather than sulk, Karl poured his energy into ensuring Bayview's success on their replacement for the NOOD, and an energized volunteer corps made it all happen. So what, exactly, did they change from the NOOD playbook?

There were some great creative touches, like commentated Moth racing on the river at the end of the day just meters from a packed deck of drinking sailors, with printed placards identifying the mothies for curious onlookers. The organizers held a 'champagne race' for some of the offshore boats; the first one back to the club for some classes won a bottle of champagne, and their finishes were cheered by those already drinking. The BYC kitchen catered incredible food – salmon, oysters, scallops, steaks; not for everyone and not cheap, but better than anything that's ever had a NOOD name on it. Live music from well-respected local bands every night; Mer and I spent a lot of time researching our wedding band, and it was a nice surprise to see our lead singer Jorg on the mike for Friday's live performance. And the girls…well, see our SCOTW above.

It was a welcoming event; Detroit mainstays like the Melges 24, Beneteau 36.7, Ultimate 20, Cal 25, and J/120 were here in numbers, but so too were newcomers that were never allowed or interested in sailing a NOOD. S2 9.1s – nine of them! -- had their first one-design start since the Franco-Prussian war, and Wayfarer and Rebel dinghies both made their first appearance at the June event. A handful of Stars and piles of Lightnings and Thistles were also first-timers, but all of the nearly 100% entry gain on last year wasn't from dinghies; the 2012 also attracted almost 40 more traditional NOOD boats than the 2011 event.

Race Committees were communicative and helpful; there were errors like at any event, but they were quick to repair them and move on, and attentive to their fleets' needs. Some boats wanted to go in after three big-air races on Saturday, and their fleets were polled. When everyone agreed, they went in. Others didn't agree, and they stayed out to run more races.

Here's another example: Only five Vipers made it town, yet on Friday the motorless sporties still had to sail upwind about 5 miles (against the current) to the C Course. The wind of course shifted during the day, and after 3 races, they had to sail that same distance, upwind, back to BYC. Saturday, they had a fast ride out to the course with 15+ up the ass, but that had increased to 25-30 for a bone-jarring ride upwind ride home at the end of the day. Meanwhile, the Ultimate 20s, Rebels, and Wayfarers raced in the river all weekend, 50 from the dock, on fun, short courses that every Detroiter who's done Thursday night beer cans is familiar with. Since there was obviously plenty of room in the river for a fistful of Vipers, a few racers polled their fleet, and asked Kuspa if it was possible to race in the river. Less than two hours later, the RC and organizers had sorted it out. With breeze in the 20s again on Sunday morning, there were an awful lot of happy Viperers headed out to the course at 9:45 instead of 7:30. When chatting about the situation to a few Melges 24 and Viper friends, one of them made an interesting suggestion: "It would be great if the Melges 24s and Vipers could both have a day or two in the river to mix things up," though both Viperers and 24 sailors agreed that they wanted to race on the lake as well. It's the kind of unusual request that would likely never fly in the homogenized world of the NOOD, and just the kind of outside-the-box thinking that could bring in more boats next year if the fleets are into it. While there

Mother nature seemed to approve of the changes, as she provided plenty of breeze – more than enough for many on the Saturday and Sunday, though there were plenty of white-knuckle rides before the needle went to 30+ on both days. Competition was tight in most fleets – the Melges 24s saw a tie for 1-2 and another for 3-4, though Keith Ziegler spanked me and the rest of the Ultimate 20 fleet for the victory. Everyone had between 6 and 10 races, most with wind over 5 knots; Kind of like Charleston, without the thousands of hot college girls or 80 degree temperatures. Complete results are here.

I enjoyed the hell out of my regatta, despite coming in a lackluster 4th. I was glad to finally get to race with some old friends, though our combined weight was probably more suited to a bulk carrier than a sportboat. We went upwind okay in the 7 boat U-20 fleet, but downwind, even puffs of 20 had trouble lifting us out of the water, though the waifishly crewed boats went zooming by. It didn't matter, though – one of the many things about short course racing in the river is that there isn't much time to dwell on how much you suck; 25-minute races and quick turnarounds require forward thinking, not backwards. More importantly, 6 races only lasts four hours, and we were on the deck, drink in hand, catching up on old times, for a solid hour before any other boats showed up. I liked that, too.

I grabbed Karl after the regatta to congratulate him and pick his brain some more. "We've always like regattas that go out of their way to deliver exactly what the racers want, and we talked to hundreds of our members and racers all over the world to make sure we had it right," he said.

I'd say they did.

Photos from Marcin Chumiecki/Photoelement.com with a scary volume of free-to-download pics from the event here.

Attached Files

#80 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Just the facts, ma'am.

Clean Report

BODybuilding

It's been a couple of years since I sailed here in the Midwest; a bit ironic since sailing on Lake St. Clair is what got me hooked on racing in the first place. It's pretty sad that I moved back almost 18 months ago and my first time racing since then was just this past weekend, at the Bayview One Design regatta (the BOD).

Even when it was still a NOOD regatta, the BYC event was always one of the most fun, but rapidly declining numbers over the past few years had taken much of the life out of Michigan's biggest multi-class regatta. Enter Detroit jack-of-all-trades and pro sailor Karl Kuspa, whose foot injury kept him off of boats for a few months. Rather than sulk, Karl poured his energy into ensuring Bayview's success on their replacement for the NOOD, and an energized volunteer corps made it all happen. So what, exactly, did they change from the NOOD playbook?

There were some great creative touches, like commentated Moth racing on the river at the end of the day just meters from a packed deck of drinking sailors, with printed placards identifying the mothies for curious onlookers. The organizers held a 'champagne race' for some of the offshore boats; the first one back to the club for some classes won a bottle of champagne, and their finishes were cheered by those already drinking. The BYC kitchen catered incredible food – salmon, oysters, scallops, steaks; not for everyone and not cheap, but better than anything that's ever had a NOOD name on it. Live music from well-respected local bands every night; Mer and I spent a lot of time researching our wedding band, and it was a nice surprise to see our lead singer Jorg on the mike for Friday's live performance. And the girls…well, see our SCOTW above.

It was a welcoming event; Detroit mainstays like the Melges 24, Beneteau 36.7, Ultimate 20, Cal 25, and J/120 were here in numbers, but so too were newcomers that were never allowed or interested in sailing a NOOD. S2 9.1s – nine of them! -- had their first one-design start since the Franco-Prussian war, and Wayfarer and Rebel dinghies both made their first appearance at the June event. A handful of Stars and piles of Lightnings and Thistles were also first-timers, but all of the nearly 100% entry gain on last year wasn't from dinghies; the 2012 also attracted almost 40 more traditional NOOD boats than the 2011 event.

Race Committees were communicative and helpful; there were errors like at any event, but they were quick to repair them and move on, and attentive to their fleets' needs. Some boats wanted to go in after three big-air races on Saturday, and their fleets were polled. When everyone agreed, they went in. Others didn't agree, and they stayed out to run more races.

Here's another example: Only five Vipers made it town, yet on Friday the motorless sporties still had to sail upwind about 5 miles (against the current) to the C Course. The wind of course shifted during the day, and after 3 races, they had to sail that same distance, upwind, back to BYC. Saturday, they had a fast ride out to the course with 15+ up the ass, but that had increased to 25-30 for a bone-jarring ride upwind ride home at the end of the day. Meanwhile, the Ultimate 20s, Rebels, and Wayfarers raced in the river all weekend, 50 from the dock, on fun, short courses that every Detroiter who's done Thursday night beer cans is familiar with. Since there was obviously plenty of room in the river for a fistful of Vipers, a few racers polled their fleet, and asked Kuspa if it was possible to race in the river. Less than two hours later, the RC and organizers had sorted it out. With breeze in the 20s again on Sunday morning, there were an awful lot of happy Viperers headed out to the course at 9:45 instead of 7:30. When chatting about the situation to a few Melges 24 and Viper friends, one of them made an interesting suggestion: "It would be great if the Melges 24s and Vipers could both have a day or two in the river to mix things up," though both Viperers and 24 sailors agreed that they wanted to race on the lake as well. It's the kind of unusual request that would likely never fly in the homogenized world of the NOOD, and just the kind of outside-the-box thinking that could bring in more boats next year if the fleets are into it. While there

Mother nature seemed to approve of the changes, as she provided plenty of breeze – more than enough for many on the Saturday and Sunday, though there were plenty of white-knuckle rides before the needle went to 30+ on both days. Competition was tight in most fleets – the Melges 24s saw a tie for 1-2 and another for 3-4, though Keith Ziegler spanked me and the rest of the Ultimate 20 fleet for the victory. Everyone had between 6 and 10 races, most with wind over 5 knots; Kind of like Charleston, without the thousands of hot college girls or 80 degree temperatures. Complete results are here.

I enjoyed the hell out of my regatta, despite coming in a lackluster 4th. I was glad to finally get to race with some old friends, though our combined weight was probably more suited to a bulk carrier than a sportboat. We went upwind okay in the 7 boat U-20 fleet, but downwind, even puffs of 20 had trouble lifting us out of the water, though the waifishly crewed boats went zooming by. It didn't matter, though – one of the many things about short course racing in the river is that there isn't much time to dwell on how much you suck; 25-minute races and quick turnarounds require forward thinking, not backwards. More importantly, 6 races only lasts four hours, and we were on the deck, drink in hand, catching up on old times, for a solid hour before any other boats showed up. I liked that, too.

I grabbed Karl after the regatta to congratulate him and pick his brain some more. "We've always like regattas that go out of their way to deliver exactly what the racers want, and we talked to hundreds of our members and racers all over the world to make sure we had it right," he said.

I'd say they did.

Photos from Marcin Chumiecki/Photoelement.com with a scary volume of free-to-download pics from the event here.

Thanks for the kind words Clean. I really need to point out that running this event was a team effort between myself and Hanson Bratton. And of course, he and I could not have pulled it off without the 150+ volunteers

#81 sailski

sailski

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

meanwhile, they hired the lead singer of the band that played Mer and my wedding for entertainment outside. And he was awesome, as was the band on Saturday night. Go the Jorg!

Posted Image

The Saturday night band Good Gravy played at my wedding

#82 coyotepup

coyotepup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Marcin Chumiecki is the name of the photographer - you can check out his site here. Super nice, really interesting history with Lech Walesa, and going through his portfolio, seems quite skilled. But I think this was his first ever sailing event.

BYC has used him for Mac photographs as well. Start line and finish line. Those are usually pretty good, but then, it's a different type of event. I agree that for short course racing like this, I'd like to have seen more mark roundings, knockdowns, start-line jockeying, port/starboard passes, etc.....the stuff that makes W/L racing so exciting.

#83 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:31 AM

Right about then I spun down the rig on the Benny 15 turns. Bad call, but we still won the day after the obligatory collision in the 36.7 class. Best run event and most fun I have had in countless travel regattas. This should be on everyones list for next year as it will only get better. Hats off to Hanson, Karl and all the volunteers. Well done.

#84 GIBY

GIBY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

I had a great time at the BOD's over the weekend. Karl and Hanson did a top shelf job, thank you both and thank you to the many volunteers and BYC staff.

I'm glad the Ontario/Michigan Viper fleet got some of the boats out to get a start and that our builder Rondar Raceboats had a boat there as well. I'll be spreading the word on the Viper 640 forum (forum.viper640.org) to increase the numbers for next year.

Looking forward to the 2013 BOD's!

Cheers!

GIBY

#85 jeff carver

jeff carver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

great job by BYC all around
only bummer was not running into mr squirrel and being able to properly thank him for his help the previous week....thanks Jim !!!!

Congratulations to Grizzly we look forward to seeing you in Cleveland

thanks BYC and see you in '13

Carv

#86 TBomber

TBomber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Congrats BYC on a great event!! Hanson, Karl, Commodore Jeff, Kent and Tim take a bow for a great show!! I have always enjoyed the BYC NOODs but the BOD took it to another level from the racing, to the meals and of course the night life! We will do our best to spread the word up in Lake Huron and hope to bring down more folks next year.

I would also like to encourage everyone to take a look at the Lake Huron International on Saturday, June 30th at PHYC this season. It’s a perfect lead in to the Bell’s Bayview Mackinac and with the Saturday start this season we have tried to make it easier for those traveling in from Lake St. Clair.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=628

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users