5 replies to this topic

#1 oliver W

oliver W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:sailing, writing, martial arts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:43 AM

Hi guys. I'm considering getting a FT10 for use in Miami. Can the keel be raised (even if its ugly) for shallow water racing while on the water by a crew of average intelligence? I'm in Biscayne bay and was wondering if the FT10 could be handled similar to the trip 33 and the keel raised to between 5.9 and 6.0 feet (max draft) for PHRF, either manually or via an electric winch.

The FT looks like a rocket ship, and I'd have to manage the PHRF issues with a shorter keel. I'd extend for full length for Key West or Miami Ft Lauderdale races.

Thanks in advance.

Oliver

#2 doooouglus

doooouglus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

Hi guys. I'm considering getting a FT10 for use in Miami. Can the keel be raised (even if its ugly) for shallow water racing while on the water by a crew of average intelligence? I'm in Biscayne bay and was wondering if the FT10 could be handled similar to the trip 33 and the keel raised to between 5.9 and 6.0 feet (max draft) for PHRF, either manually or via an electric winch.

The FT looks like a rocket ship, and I'd have to manage the PHRF issues with a shorter keel. I'd extend for full length for Key West or Miami Ft Lauderdale races.

Thanks in advance.

Oliver

Oliver:

With enough money... anything could be done.

That being said... I thing that it would be a waste of money and time to even think about it. The guide system alone would have to be modified and that would be a huge deal. Also, since the boat is relatively narrow... you need all the weight that you can get down low. Raising the weight up would make the boat super tippy.

I would say look for another type of boat for Biscayne Bay. I've raced a M24 there a lot and the boat seemed perfect for that area.

Doug

#3 oliver W

oliver W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:sailing, writing, martial arts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Doug. Much appreciated.

#4 Tiger 20

Tiger 20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

I have raced the Ft 7.5 in the Miami To Key Largo and it is just as ideal as the M24. if the PHRF down there would just give the boat a reasonable rating.

#5 F2ionA76

F2ionA76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:reading

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

Posted Image
I have raced the Ft 7.5 in the Miami To Key Largo and it is just as ideal as the M24. if the PHRF down there would just give the boat a reasonable rating.

Hope you enjoy it.

#6 kelly

kelly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Not a dumb question but the ft10 keel is lift able not lifting it was designed as a trailer able yacht and so keel needed to be liftable but never conceived to have the keel draft changed like some smaller trailerable boats such as a blaser23 , spider 22 etc where the foil is designed to run in supporting tracks in the keel box. When you lift an ft10,s keel off it's chicks it starts wondering around like a wild woman's apron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users