New British Americas Cup Team???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
449 replies to this topic

#401 KingMonkey

KingMonkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Who the hell told him that was a good idea??

Well, his sponsors Henri Lloyd presumably told him they wanted to do it. . . suspect having your own 'range' is probably not top of BA's priority list - especially as I really doubt there is much money in sailor-endorsed products. It's not like he's Beyonce!

Interesting that Ben was wearing a BAR branded Puma jacket for the press conference, when he is sponsored by Henri Lloyd. Another indication of the close ties to Oracle, as Oracle are supplied by Puma, or am I reading too far onto this conspiracy?

Oracle/Puma

Maybe I should go dig out my tin foil hat!

Think you're probably right actually - Ben has been sponsored by HL for as long as I can remember for his Olympic campaigns, but presumably as part of the Oracle team, their sponsor comes first and as he is funded by Oracle when at BAR, presumably their sponsor wins.

#402 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yorkshire = Texas = Bavaria = Cork = ... every country has one

#403 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

If I heard BA correctly, even on a re-listen, then he like Draper too seems to prounce 'athlete' like 'aflete' and 'together' like 'togever' - is that a regional / dialectic trait, or widespread?

#404 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

It's a dialect commonly known as Estuary English

It's a sublimation of the accents of the Thames estuary and surrounding areas, and it would appear elements of the home counties stretching west to Oxford and south as far as Hampshire, with various elements first encountered by the English through watching the Australian soap opera Neighbors

It's become an affectation of many otherwise well spoken young (and not so young) things due to it's association with street culture

#405 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

Interesting point ricm, the traditional Bucks accent (quite well spoken) was somewhat diluted during and after the war due to large expanses of the London population being moved into the shires to escape the large bombing campaign and aftermath waged on the docks and industrial areas. The local accent is now more like Eastenders...I'm sure lazyness is a large part of it too. Nuffink as opposed to nothing, ta as opposed to thank you etc.

As you note, it has spread throughout the southeast and I like the term Estuary English, although Chav could be used in the same context.

#406 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Estuary English would be the dialect of the caricature Chav as you say.

Could be wrong but I think Chav has it's roots as a shortening of the Geordie Charva, meaning naughty or unruly child. How it made it's way down south I don't know. Where I'm from they would be miss identified as a scally(wag).

A proper scally is a way better dresser and wonldn't, now they are no longer a Manchester brand, be seen dead in Henrii Lloyde unless it was a green and white sou wester with classic Round the World Race logo on the arm.

#407 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

Could be wrong but I think Chav has it's roots as a shortening of the Geordie Charva, meaning naughty or unruly child. How it made it's way down south I don't know. Where I'm from they would be miss identified as a scally(wag).

A proper scally is a way better dresser and wonldn't, now they are no longer a Manchester brand, be seen dead in Henrii Lloyde unless it was a green and white sou wester with classic Round the World Race logo on the arm.

I always thought the term "chav" to have originated in Chatham.

Anyway I found this for you but can't be arsed to read it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

#408 GDEvans

GDEvans

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

1326388847[/url]' post='3543617']

1326387735[/url]' post='3543583']

1326375957[/url]' post='3543293']
France is to UK as Cuba is to USA

However I don't think MI6 has ever tried sending exploding cigars to a French president.

Maybe MI6 send letters in French...

...and get French letters in reply?

For our non-British / non-Irish friends, French letters are not all they seem - Google may be able to help you there!

#409 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

Wotcha.

Im confused.

Is this thread about a new team for the British Americas Cup (BAC) ? Or about a new British team for the Americas Cup?

The first was originally donated by the Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club in 1922 as an International Challenge match in 6 meters and has evolved into an friendly competition between yacht clubs of two nations where each team is from the country of the challenger or defendant.

The second started off as a challenge trophy to promote friendly competition among nations but has evolved into something different.

Some clarification please.

#410 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

I always thought the term "chav" to have originated in Chatham.

Anyway I found this for you but can't be arsed to read it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

confirms it as a shortening of Charva

#411 GDEvans

GDEvans

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

1326406942[/url]' post='3544077']
Wotcha.

Im confused.

Is this thread about a new team for the British Americas Cup (BAC) ? Or about a new British team for the Americas Cup?

The first was originally donated by the Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club in 1922 as an International Challenge match in 6 meters and has evolved into an friendly competition between yacht clubs of two nations where each team is from the country of the challenger or defendant.

The second started off as a challenge trophy to promote friendly competition among nations but has evolved into something different.

I belive it may be the second item you mentioned. And you forgot to mention that it is a British cup on loan to the rest of the world until Big Ben claims it back...

#412 bye bye

bye bye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

oh to bathe in the light of someone else's glory

#413 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Some interesting points raised here :

http://www.sail-worl...ricas-cup/92735

#414 KingMonkey

KingMonkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

Most Southern British sailors speak with a fairly similar accent, which is a mixture of their middle class accent they grew up with, a slightly more towny accent that they've developed out of being self conscious about their middle class accent, and a bit on an antipodean twang they have developed out of being a sailor and having out with Kiwis / Ozzies a lot.

Iain Percy to me is the funniest. He grew up in the same town as me in much the same class, but sounds - oh yes - very very different, as I have only done the first two phases of the above:

#415 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

Most Southern British sailors speak with a fairly similar accent, which is a mixture of their middle class accent they grew up with, a slightly more towny accent that they've developed out of being self conscious about their middle class accent, and a bit on an antipodean twang they have developed out of being a sailor and having out with Kiwis / Ozzies a lot.

Iain Percy to me is the funniest. He grew up in the same town as me in much the same class, but sounds - oh yes - very very different, as I have only done the first two phases of the above:

Does he keep kangaroos in his backyard?

#416 Mariner

Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Wotcha.

Im confused.

I belive it may be the second item you mentioned. And you forgot to mention that it is a British cup on loan to the rest of the world until Big Ben claims it back...

I'm loving this... bring it!

maybe the Brits can get Noel Gallagher on their side. He's been all about soccer lately, but needs to widen his interests.

#417 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

maybe the Brits can get Noel Gallagher on their side. He's been all about soccer lately, but needs to widen his interests.

Azzam took Prince Adrew aboard for the inshore race in Aby Dhabi.

And they won the race!

But, if Noel Gallagher jumps on with Comrade Ainslie, what about Liam?

#418 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

I was going to reply pointing out that the "Australian Questioning intonation", in which "statements have a rising intonation pattern in the final syllable or syllables of the utterance" http://en.wikipedia....rising_terminal is extremely common amongst British under-30s, especially women.

However having listened to your YouTube clip I will concede Iain Percy takes it to another level.

#419 GDEvans

GDEvans

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

1326520955[/url]' post='3545835']

1326473481[/url]' post='3544997']

Azzam took Prince Adrew aboard for the inshore race in Aby Dhabi.

And they won the race!

But, if Noel Gallagher jumps on with Comrade Ainslie, what about Liam?

Noel and Liam don't talk to each other these days.
But either would be great value in the post race press conference "fuck this fuck that..."

#420 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

Noel and Liam don't talk to each other these days.

So what about Sir Mick and Keith?

#421 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

^

Don't talk since Keef published his autobiography.

#422 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Did Keith make derogatory comments about Sir Mick's spinnaker pole?

#423 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

More of a reaching strut, according to Sir Keef...

#424 Sailer X

Sailer X

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

More of a reaching strut, according to Sir Keef...

Keef's now in exile on mainsheet

#425 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

Anyway, back on message.

Does anyone think Comrade Ainslie can build an AC syndicate around himself?

#426 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

^

If he can raise the shekels he can build a team. As for that, the remark he'll be looking for global funding is revealing in that British sponsors don't show much interest in sailing at this level. There hasn't been a British VOR or AC team in quite some time (excluding the abortive TO).

Since we don't know what AC35 is going to look like, where it will be, what budget will be needed, or what shape the world economy is going to be in come 2013, who the hell knows if the money could be raised? A SF-based event is bound to be more attractive to most sponsors than one in Auckland but presumably the latter would have more focus on cost control.

#427 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

at OR's ac.com page
--

Ben Ainslie to join ORACLE Racing for America’s Cup defense
Posted on 10 January 2012

Ben Ainslie, Britain’s most successful Olympic sailor of all time, is set to become a full-time member of ORACLE Racing’s sailing squad for the 34th America’s Cup defense on Francisco Bay in 2013. Before then, Ainslie will compete with his new team, Ben Ainslie Racing, on the America’s Cup World Series circuit.

Ainslie, 34, has won three gold medals and one silver at four Olympic Games. In August he’ll represent England in the Finn class at the London 2012 Olympics where he’ll be aiming for a fourth consecutive gold medal before switching his attention to the America’s Cup.

“For me, as a British sailor, London 2012 is an incredible opportunity to race on home waters in the Olympics,” said Ainslie, a 10-time world champion. “My focus is 100 percent on that.”

At the conclusion of the World Series regattas in 2013, Ainslie will switch to ORACLE Racing full time as an afterguard member, alongside the likes of four-time Cup winner and team CEO Russell Coutts, skipper Jimmy Spithill, tactician John Kostecki, two-time Olympic silver medalist Darren Bundock and four-time Laser world champion Tom Slingsby.

contd

A nice comment on this (and BAR) on VSail:

bagypants Says:
January 13th, 2012 at 2:41 pm
Come back alinghi… all is forgiven. Surely to the Gods everyone not on Larrys pay roll must be able to now admit that they have been well and truly fooled. Oh.. the promises the promises. SHIT.. Ernesto made some mistakes its true, but he was truly trying to create a fair and competitive race. He did not pretend to be doing it cheap.. it was always going to be expensive, but it would have been fair. To keep it real he wanted to compete in the world series (acts). All those that got behind Oracle back then must now be feeling pretty stupid. What a one sided game. The jury (oh what a coincidence) vote in favour of Oracle and Artemis and poor old The Paul is left in the SHIT as he shoots himself in the foot and can no longer train with the likes of Korea in their 72. The only team that benifits is of course Oracle. Challenger of record my arse. The Artemis guys think they are running the show and PC thinks he knows whats going on but he does not see that his “mate” russell is using him as his puppet. Ridiculous.

#428 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

^

Sure is remarkable that when EB wanted to sail with challengers there were thousand of words written here in condemnation but when OR and Artemis plan the same, nobody seems to care very much or, hilariously, say it is OK because Alinghi did it.

#429 HendersonCatherine

HendersonCatherine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hi there.
No teams formed so far.
So lets talk about it over a cup of tea. That's my proposal to everyone on this forum.

#430 Sailer X

Sailer X

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Putting 2+2 together and making 60 million

There's a proposal to raise £60M for a royal yacht .... BAR is sailing for RCYC who has the next king as patron.... Diamond Jubilee entrant in the AC?

http://newsthump.com...-yacht-wind-up/

#431 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

^

Sure is remarkable that when EB wanted to sail with challengers there were thousand of words written here in condemnation but when OR and Artemis plan the same, nobody seems to care very much or, hilariously, say it is OK because Alinghi did it.

There is a little difference. Alinghi wanted to race in competition against the challengers, OR just wants to train against them, resp. one of them. The situation resembles Alinghi/ETNZ before AC32, although I think the collaboration then was less intense than what is planned now.

#432 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

^

Not really the same thing. Surprised you went there.

I am not a fan of any Challenger training with the Defender, but EB wanting to race in the LVC and OR/AR wanting to train are two different things.

WetHog :ph34r:

#433 Tony-F18

Tony-F18

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

I think the rest of the challengers wouldnt mind them practicing together, it would probably be the easiest way to see what the defender came up with.

#434 fubaru

fubaru

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

^ Tony has a good point

what Rennie said - Alinghi wanted to influence the outcome of the LVC, Oracle isn't trying to do that

#435 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Alinghi wanted to influence the outcome of the LVC

That was supposition. Anyway training against a challenger is worse than racing as far as it undermining the fundamental principal that a challenger should not aid the defender because it's a controlled test.

#436 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Alinghi wanted to influence the outcome of the LVC

That was supposition. Anyway training against a challenger is worse than racing as far as it undermining the fundamental principal that a challenger should not aid the defender because it's a controlled test.

I agree 100% with the bolded part. And even further: The defender should not interfere with challengers' matters and vice versa. But this POV is academic since the CSS is so closely linked organizationally and from a sporting perspective to the AC proper.

#437 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

^

Not really the same thing. Surprised you went there.

I am not a fan of any Challenger training with the Defender, but EB wanting to race in the LVC and OR/AR wanting to train are two different things.

WetHog :ph34r:

Although no one around here would admit it there were some mitigating circumstances..

As part of the cost containment, all the teams including Alinghi were only going to build one boat, and they all agreed to the defender sailing with them, although they didn't agree on Alinghi affecting who went into the final, this hadn't been worked out yet, but it was irrelevant as bmwo figured out they had a better chance of getting into the final thru the nysc than actually racing the other teams...

tnz earlier trialled aganst alinghi, but this was probably agreed at the time when eb loaned them $10M ensuring the team survived..

At the time, the oracalites here were so shocked that a defender would try and sail with the challengers, a common post was.....if larry tries to pull this shit when he wins, I will be the first to call him on it...

A bit surprising none of them has come out and said it..

in a world where everyone who wants to compete in the Americas Cup has to sail in the russ and paul world sailing league... larry has 5 boats to everyone elses one and is giving boats away to the no funds wanker teams...
the against the protocol third team oracale ainslie boat, which is supposed to be only for the wsl, but could change if ainslie, out of the blue finds a 30M sponser and races in 34 in a boat purchased from team russ...
the #2 poodle cor helping the defender and putting the boot into two fellow challengers and openly doing the same ' bringing the sport into disrepute' he is accusing dalton of ..
not to mention the surrogate boat bullshit which most here struggle to understand, let alone the facebookers who are supposed to be lapping this shit up in their millions...

what is funny is the defender paying for a boat to be designed to give away to the wanker teams and then claiming that team russ have paid to get the plans..

I used to like Cayard, but every time he opens his mouth he puts his foot in it, and all his defender ass kissing is pissing away any support he had...

#438 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

#439 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:28 AM

BEN NOT OUT OF THE SHIT YET! OLYMPICS STILL IN DOUBT.

The Royal Yachting Authority has reviewed the report regarding the incident which took place at the Perth 2011 ISAF Sailing World Championships involving British sailor Ben Ainslie from the International Jury at the event. The RYA has decided that the case might warrant further action, and have thus referred the matter to the RYA Tribunal in accordance with its established procedures for further consideration. A hearing is likely to take place in the next two months. Any additional sanctions could affect Ainslie's ability to compete in the 2012 Olympics. -- RYA website:
http://tinyurl.com/RYA-011912

#440 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

The Royal Yachting Authority has reviewed the report regarding the incident which took place at the Perth 2011 ISAF Sailing World Championships involving British sailor Ben Ainslie from the International Jury at the event. The RYA has decided that the case might warrant further action, and have thus referred the matter to the RYA Tribunal in accordance with its established procedures for further consideration. A hearing is likely to take place in the next two months. Any additional sanctions could affect Ainslie's ability to compete in the 2012 Olympics. -- RYA website:

Maybe he will be racing in Italy this spring, then.

#441 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

Maybe he will be racing in Italy this spring, then.

Don't hold your breath..
He will race for gold..

#442 SeanM

SeanM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

don't know if anyone has questioned this or not, but how come BA can have a website and all the challengers cant have there own?

#443 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

don't know if anyone has questioned this or not, but how come BA can have a website and all the challengers cant have there own?

Because "Ben Ainslie" is a person and "Ben Ainslie Racing" is a team.

#444 DANIS

DANIS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

interesting post..Thanks

#445 waterboy42

waterboy42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

I wonder if a backer like Branson would be interested?

If OR doesn't defend Cup, and LE decides not to challenge, RC may be the guy to snare to head a Brit challenge (or they may want a "homegrown" head)
With talent of BA, IP, and Draper, plus the huge talent in Brit sailing, they'd have are real shot.

One things for shore, there'd be unrivalled fame and kudos for whoever bought the Cup home to its country of origin, as despite 162yrs of trying, they've never actually won it...

Just the sort of challenge to tempt a Billionaires ego!

#446 Terry Hollis

Terry Hollis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:08 AM

If OR doesn't defend Cup, and LE decides not to challenge, RC may be the guy to snare to head a Brit challenge (or they may want a "homegrown" head)
With talent of BA, IP, and Draper, plus the huge talent in Brit sailing, they'd have are real shot.

One things for shore, there'd be unrivalled fame and kudos for whoever bought the Cup home to its country of origin, as despite 162yrs of trying, they've never actually won it...

After Branson's efforts in the F1 game I don't think he would put up sufficient funds to do the job properly ..

"BA, IP, and Draper" are good sailors but they have no track record that is anything like leading an AC team .. such a team would be doomed to failure .

#447 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

If the Brits were smart and pooled their talent, with someone who could manage an AC effort, it would be a formidable team.

I would not count this possiblity out. Someone has to be watching............

#448 waterboy42

waterboy42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

After Branson's efforts in the F1 game I don't think he would put up sufficient funds to do the job properly ..

"BA, IP, and Draper" are good sailors but they have no track record that is anything like leading an AC team .. such a team would be doomed to failure .

Agreed, hence the need for an RC type import to get them back in the game

(nb- hands off our GD and DB, they're not for sale)

#449 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

wonder if a backer like Branson would be interested?

After Branson's efforts in the F1 game I don't think he would put up sufficient funds to do the job properly 

I would think that Branson was exactly aware of how successful Virgin Racing was likely to be.

I'm amused to see that on a quick search, Branson was first mentioned as a possible funder of a British AC team in 2007, the first year of SAAC. I would think that it's about as likely then as it is now. I.e. 0%. He's had enough time to think about it. 

#450 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

I think Branson is to busy giving auditions to the standup comics and lounge singers he wants to put on his airline.  :lol:

http://www.psfk.com/...ertainment.html

WetHog  :ph34r: