228 replies to this topic

#101 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Michael Miller's 'Tides & Currents 'Chalk Talk' is moving to video, to be posted online and available forever, in response to skippers' requests. I'll be getting to town quite early so i have a couple of days to get the video together with MM.

Again, posting it online (a good thing) will never be quite the same as holding the briefing live in the conference room next to the bar. I dont think I have ever listened to Mike's chalk talk in a condition of sobriety. The live chalk talk was always a good spot to meet old friends and then head straight back to the bar.

But I support posting it online, as long as Clean doesnt interject with one of his verbose introductions . Love ya man!;)

#102 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Gotta hand to the Viper class. Ya'll done good!

#103 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Michael Miller's 'Tides & Currents 'Chalk Talk' is moving to video, to be posted online and available forever, in response to skippers' requests. I'll be getting to town quite early so i have a couple of days to get the video together with MM.

Again, posting it online (a good thing) will never be quite the same as holding the briefing live in the conference room next to the bar. I dont think I have ever listened to Mike's chalk talk in a condition of sobriety. The live chalk talk was always a good spot to meet old friends and then head straight back to the bar.

But I support posting it online, as long as Clean doesnt interject with one of his verbose introductions . Love ya man!;)

It just got too big to do it properly, and the priority is getting the info to the racers. The bar ain't so big that you need to go elsewhere to find your pals, I reckon. Promise, no intros...

#104 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Monday AM BUMP.

#105 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

PS. 238 now.

#106 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Can a local give me a rundown of the various yacht clubs in Charleston?

#107 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Can a local give me a rundown of the various yacht clubs in Charleston?

There's a few. I'm a member of ChYC. Pop's a member of CYC. There's a paper club CORA which hosts CRW and I'm a member of that one too. Then there's James Island YC, Hobcaw, CofC Boat Club... Sea Island is another nearby club. What would you like to know?

#108 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Note:

The last time I checked, James Island YC (an otherwise very down-to-earth dinghy club) and the ritzy blueblood Carolina Yacht Club DO NOT ALLOW SINGLE FEMALES TO BE MEMBERS unless it is part of a family membership.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

#109 SC Finnster

SC Finnster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Note:

The last time I checked, James Island YC (an otherwise very down-to-earth dinghy club) and the ritzy blueblood Carolina Yacht Club DO NOT ALLOW SINGLE FEMALES TO BE MEMBERS unless it is part of a family membership.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

There is still order somewhere in the world!!!!!

#110 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Can't speak for JIY, but that's true for CYC and likely will be for many years to come. No shortage of membership there. Just check out the $ 2 million dollar renovation with no membership assessment to veify that. I've never heard a woman partying there complain about it. Politicaly speaking it ain't right, but it is what it is.....

#111 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

Seeing an increase in activity. UP to 242 now...

#112 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Nice surge in the J80s. Props to them.

This is going to be a great sport boat gathering on the inside harbor course. This regatta is fast becoming the festival of smaller sport boat racing.

125 sport boats 26 ft and under! With more to come.

#113 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

40 Vipers.

#114 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

40 Vipers.

You guys need to make this your NA's or something.

#115 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

40 Vipers.

You guys need to make this your NA's or something.

We are happy to be here. Charleston always gives us a great welcome and great sailing.
We also love the sport boat scene in the inner harbor and meeting friends from all the other sport boat classes.

CRW is the Viper Atlantic Coast Championships this year and scores carry to the EFG Bank Pan American circuit.

Attached File  ViperPanAm Trophy.jpg   447.31K   7 downloadsAttached File  ViperACC_trophy.jpg   265.79K   8 downloads

#116 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Viper NAs (in answer to your question)

EYC, Marblehead, MA Sept 2012

Houston YC, TX October 2013

ABYC, Long Beach CA October 2014

#117 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:39 AM

Can't speak for JIY, but that's true for CYC and likely will be for many years to come. No shortage of membership there. Just check out the $ 2 million dollar renovation with no membership assessment to veify that. I've never heard a woman partying there complain about it. Politicaly speaking it ain't right, but it is what it is.....

We'll have this conversation in person. Just want prospective members to know what it is they are supporting. I dig Hobcaw the most, but I'm a dinghy guy with a soft spot for single women and Mt P

#118 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

We'll have this conversation in person. Just want prospective members to know what it is they are supporting. I dig Hobcaw the most, but I'm a dinghy guy with a soft spot for single women and Mt P

Sure, I won't argue the facts. They are what they are. One thing for sure there's no shortage of in this town is good looking single women. Mt P and Shim Creek on a Saturday...WOW. Hell I see more talent just cruising the Whole Foods than I do in most other towns! I love this place!!!!!!

BTW. The annual Commodore's Ball held by CYC is the most spectacular event I've ever attended. Fantastic 7 piece band out of Atlanta and multiple open bars including a Scotch bar and a guy hand rolling cigars. I was there w/someone from NYC with lots of swanky event experience and said it was the best party ever. 700 people went to the thing. If anyone reading this ever gets the chance to attend you simply have to. It will blow your mind and again the women.......

#119 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

29 days and a wake up !

Go Team!

Sail safe!

#120 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

Who in their right fucking mind has a soft spot for Mt Pleasant?

#121 B.Wilkinson

B.Wilkinson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

243 signed up. Vipers have 40! and just over a month left. Thats totally awsome. Good work to everybody who's getting more boats on the line.

#122 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Annnnnnddd. You owe Exelon Energy a new keyboard.

Can't wait to get down there. Flight gets in Wed at 1, who wants to get me from the airport?

#123 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cycling and watching my kids grow

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

"Prosective members" know exactly what they are supporting. You don't just walk up and join CYC. I'm partial to JIYC. Best place to launch in the harbor and they just built a newer/bigger pier w/ a hoist.

Mt Pleasant proper is a very nice place. It ain't just US 17 North out of CHS...

#124 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Someone who lived there, launched his boat out of there, and hung out on the water there for 3 years. Turns out there are some awfully nice spots in Mt. P including the oldest community in the area, the best seafood restaurant in the state, the prettiest waterfront properties in the area, and a lot more.

#125 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Someone who lived there, launched his boat out of there, and hung out on the water there for 3 years. Turns out there are some awfully nice spots in Mt. P including the oldest community in the area, the best seafood restaurant in the state, the prettiest waterfront properties in the area, and a lot more.

Like he said, "who in their right mind...?"

#126 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Have fun dude, I worked there for years. The best seafood restaurant was Bowens Island though, before the fire. Mt. P does have Art's though, I'll give you that.

#127 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Have fun dude, I worked there for years. The best seafood restaurant was Bowens Island though, before the fire. Mt. P does have Art's though, I'll give you that.

Bowen's was pretty awesome - I lived less than a mile from there on the edge of the salt marsh. Nothing wrong with Mt. P so long as you stay off 17!

#128 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'm holding fast to my prediction of 250 total on the line, which would be around a 7% increase from last year, and totally in line with a slightly reduced marketing/advertising effort that resulted from CORA taking over from the SC Maritime Foundation.

The call has gone out: "Occupy Charleston!"

37 Vipers registered.

Not long ago Clean challenged us to get 25 Vipers to CRW.

Just for old time's sake

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cPwvCUas_Kk

#129 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Bowen's was pretty awesome - I lived less than a mile from there on the edge of the salt marsh. Nothing wrong with Mt. P so long as you stay off 17!

The Wreck sucks! Terrible food, no a/c inside and no parking if you can even find the place. I never eat there everytime I'm in town.

#130 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

The Wreck sucks! Terrible food, no a/c inside and no parking if you can even find the place. I never eat there everytime I'm in town.

Exactly. Nobody should go there.Definitely don't go by boat, because there just are not enough spaces for you.

#131 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Horrible, simply horrible I tell you.

Better off at Jake's Seafood - what is in your wallet?

Sail Safe!

#132 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

While we're talking about food. We had nice meal out on Folly Beach a couple of weeks ago. Bowen's was packed and we didn't want to wait so we headed to a place called Rita's. It's on the left as get into the beach area. Good food, scenery, and bar... and scenery.

#133 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

I stick to Taco Boy when I am in Folly. Fuck that place has the best mexican in the Southeast. The new TB downtown is going to be a party site this CRW I am sure - it's right under the bridge if you've not been there before, and can hold hundreds of sailors...

#134 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

I stick to Taco Boy when I am in Folly. Fuck that place has the best mexican in the Southeast. The new TB downtown is going to be a party site this CRW I am sure - it's right under the bridge if you've not been there before, and can hold hundreds of sailors...

talent aplenty at the dt tb.

#135 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

word. let's have a drink - i'll be staying on JI and John's Island for a few days starting the 12th ish.

#136 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

245 now.

#137 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

247 Bump.

#138 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
  • Interests:cycling, skiing and depressing the competition on the race course

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

247 Bump.

Awesome!, just awesome!

#139 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

two fiddy.

41 Vipers leads the pack on fleet sze.

I know this all excites espo so much!!!!!

#140 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

two fiddy.

41 Vipers leads the pack on fleet sze.

I know this all excites espo so much!!!!!

It does, I think it's great that this event has replaced KW with numbers. I just wish a was a bit longer event so it would be worth 16 hours of driving each way. I can't fathom that for 3 days and if one day gets blown off it's 2 1/2 days of driving for 2 days of sailing

#141 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Losing a day to too much wind is quite frustrating, can't blame the race committee when not too far away people lost their lives to that weather.

#142 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Losing a day to too much wind is quite frustrating, can't blame the race committee when not too far away people lost their lives to that weather.

Not blaming anyone, it's the nature of the sport, it could happen for no wind, which it does more times than not. It just my own feeling about the drive of 16 hours

#143 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Not blaming anyone, it's the nature of the sport, it could happen for no wind, which it does more times than not. It just my own feeling about the drive of 16 hours

Just admit it. You've been ducking Mighty Puffin for years.

#144 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Just admit it. You've been ducking Mighty Puffin for years.

That must be it :lol:

#145 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

16 hours???? You must be a slooowwww driver. But I think that's been covered in another thread already. Posted Image

#146 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

16 hours???? You must be a slooowwww driver. But I think that's been covered in another thread already. Posted Image

I am not trailering some pussy Viper boat

#147 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

HAHAHAH! Donte messe withe Expo!! Siome kides nevere learne :)

#148 brutus

brutus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

Is there a reason for the PHRF B boats being on a different circle than the PHRF A , C , and D boats?
Just seems strange. Also how is it that the J111s get a OD class with only 4 boats?
Would'nt they rather have move competition and bigger starts. That is usually the point of going to big travel regatta's.

#149 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:17 AM

Is there a reason for the PHRF B boats being on a different circle than the PHRF A , C , and D boats?
Just seems strange. Also how is it that the J111s get a OD class with only 4 boats?
Would'nt they rather have move competition and bigger starts. That is usually the point of going to big travel regatta's.

Class breaks not yet final. Look for them to be mixed into a class with a lot of other J/Boats which then get scored TOT as their own "J/Boats" subclass - much like what was done in Key West.

#150 Bash24

Bash24

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Exactly. Nobody should go there.Definitely don't go by boat, because there just are not enough spaces for you.

I respectfully disagree. Love that place. No AC gives a bit of atmosphere. As for parking and the wait, the hot hostess selling beer out of a cooler more than makes up for that. Best fried shrimp you will ever eat.

#151 doghouse

doghouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Posted Image

#152 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

I respectfully disagree. Love that place. No AC gives a bit of atmosphere. As for parking and the wait, the hot hostess selling beer out of a cooler more than makes up for that. Best fried shrimp you will ever eat.

Lawyers and their (lack of) sense of humor ...

#153 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

252 now. Also, a quick reminder. This is the last week to get your shoreside events pass for $ 60.00. Next week they go up to $75.00.

#154 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Posted Image

Sayes it alle!!! :)

#155 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Twenty days and a wake up!

Go Team!
Sail safe

#156 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Get your tent pass on line before 31 March to enjoy discount.

Sail safe!

#157 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Tent Passes? Like NOOD Party Tickets?

#158 LeadSled

LeadSled

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

Cash setup like Key West is much better and everyone gets in to the party.

#159 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Cash setup like Key West is much better and everyone gets in to the party.

Agreed. Did peter craig take over running CRW recently?

#160 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Party passes worked great. $60 for 3 days of food and booze, who's complaining about that seriously?

#161 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

When I help organize a big boat regatta (and I do) I make a point to ensure that food and booze and the tent are free and open to everyone in the regatta who paid an entry fee... even if that means our bottom line will be a little less. I'm not sure how charleston race week gets off charging what they do in entry fees for 3 days of racing and THEN asks 60 bucks a head for 3 days in the tent... especially when other regattas charge $175 for 2 days of racing and nothing to get into the tent.

#162 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

When I help organize a big boat regatta (and I do) I make a point to ensure that food and booze and the tent are free and open to everyone in the regatta who paid an entry fee... even if that means our bottom line will be a little less. I'm not sure how charleston race week gets off charging what they do in entry fees for 3 days of racing and THEN asks 60 bucks a head for 3 days in the tent... especially when other regattas charge $175 for 2 days of racing and nothing to get into the tent.

Better watch what you say. Charleston is SA's favorite son. They can do no wrong.

#163 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Most regatta tent parties I've been to might have a happy hour or two of free drinks then it's pay to play. 50 a night is easy to blow through. Charleston is 60 for 3 nights of food and booze, fine by me. Although the food on friday night last year almost killed my crew. Having Sat off was def a good thing for us, but not for the crappers around town.

#164 jesposito

jesposito

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

If you don't go to the event, there's no problem

#165 eastcoaster

eastcoaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

you can't complain about 3 days of unlimited drinks and cool bands playing, seriously 20/day is not going to kill anyone, if it does you should be working not racing boats

#166 GLAZE

GLAZE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and Deer Hunting

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

When you do, please send me all the info you have. when you do the math, it is impossible to have all the freebies without someone footing the bill with sponsorship money.

#167 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

When you do, please send me all the info you have. when you do the math, it is impossible to have all the freebies without someone footing the bill with sponsorship money.

I'm usually lucky enough to finagle some monetary sponsorship but without it the breakeven point would still be reached.

#168 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

When was the last time you helped organize an event that had 255 registered boats? We're looking at over 1,200 people coming to the parties on Fri, Sat and Sun. Gosling Rum has told us we pour more of their rum at CRW than any other event they sponsor. Can you wrap your head around the amount of food that has to be acquired/prepared to feed this number of people? How about the number of support people and boats on the water needed to support 6 race circles? What about the number of people it takes on shore to support an event of this size?

I think $60.00 is a bargin and I'm sure I'll drink that in dark & stormies in the first night alone. Much rather have that than have to deal with digging cash out of my wallet all night.

The numbers support that a lot of people agree CRW is a good deal. BTW, the cost to register a J24, (early registration $50 discount) is $175.00 for 3 days of racing. You're charging that for 2 days of racing? I can see why you don't need to have tent passes for the 40 boats that sail.

#169 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

He forgot the 's'

#170 echo

echo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

I do wish there was a non drinking/underage crew ticket. Paying $60 for my son is a reach. Maybe that could an option in the future. Different color wrist band is all it takes

#171 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

I do wish there was a non drinking/underage crew ticket. Paying $60 for my son is a reach. Maybe that could an option in the future. Different color wrist band is all it takes

This I support for sure, us designated drinkers need designated drivers back to the Hostel errr Days Inn

#172 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm usually lucky enough to finagle some monetary sponsorship but without it the breakeven point would still be reached.

I know you're still in high school and all, but how do you do that? Raise the entry fee? Are you on this regatta committee all by yourself? There are alot of I's being thrown around.

#173 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

We're not talking MODEL SAILBOAT REGATTAS here Wes! LOL.

#174 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

In all honesty, $60/person is a bargain. I foot the bill for my crew anyways so what do they care? Saves me taking them out for dinner and drinks.

I do agree, there should be an underage ticket for non-drinking age(which is nobody on my crew, but has been in the past)

Its a relatively cheap event, even for somebody like me coming from 1000 miles away with a boat thats not the easiest to trailer(or cheapest)

Not all events can be like the J29 NA's! $175 entry fee, and $300 launch and haul. Its a sore dick. Can't beat it.

#175 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

This is the best idea that has come out of this entire thread. I'll talk to Randy about it the next time I see him.

#176 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

When was the last time you helped organize an event that had 255 registered boats? We're looking at over 1,200 people coming to the parties on Fri, Sat and Sun. Gosling Rum has told us we pour more of their rum at CRW than any other event they sponsor. Can you wrap your head around the amount of food that has to be acquired/prepared to feed this number of people? How about the number of support people and boats on the water needed to support 6 race circles? What about the number of people it takes on shore to support an event of this size?

I think $60.00 is a bargin and I'm sure I'll drink that in dark & stormies in the first night alone. Much rather have that than have to deal with digging cash out of my wallet all night.

The numbers support that a lot of people agree CRW is a good deal. BTW, the cost to register a J24, (early registration $50 discount) is $175.00 for 3 days of racing. You're charging that for 2 days of racing? I can see why you don't need to have tent passes for the 40 boats that sail.

Firstly I dug through your NOR and Regatta website and could find no mention of a $175 entry fee for a J/24 or any other OD-Specific pricing for that matter. The cheapest entry fee would be a 20-24 foot boat for $400 (with the early entry discount)... What gives?

Secondly, sure it's a semi good deal but part of the way to look at these things is how to maximize the enjoyment and utility that people get out of something. The reasoning I had when originally suggesting the technique was less about saving people money as it was about creating a post-race hangout spot where you don't even have to blink when you want to stroll in or out of it. So unless you're dangerously close to running in the red with the regatta then why not do something nice for the people who made the regatta a good time?

Either way, to each their own. If you can make it work and be sustainable then good for you. people have differing opinions on how to do things and you're entitled to yours. I"m not going to start a major shitfight on a silly internet forum.

I know you're still in high school and all, but how do you do that? Raise the entry fee? Are you on this regatta committee all by yourself? There are alot of I's being thrown around.

Hey Matt Baldwin, I don't see you volunteering and putting in over a hundred hours of your free time a year to try and make a growing and fun event... so hush. You don't need to worry about how I make my part of the overall process work. If you have something constructive to add then do so but if you're just going to bust my balls for the sake of it then go do it somewhere else.

#177 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

HAHAHAH! Donte messe withe Expo!! Siome kides nevere learne :)

If Esopo wants to mess with me, bring it on.

He knows where to find me - April 20-22, Dock B..........just me and a handful of friends from Belton Texas.

#178 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Celeritas just signed up for another Viper entry...........brings the overall CRW number to 257!!!!!!!!

#179 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Gonna be epic. Inside course management, (on the competitor side) for traffic is going to be crucial. The sport boat circle is gonna be a madhouse!

#180 Damaged Goods

Damaged Goods

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Community organizing.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

1333642156[/url]' post='3659309']
Celeritas just signed up for another Viper entry...........brings the overall CRW number to 257!!!!!!!!

Wow, almost, not quite, but almost as big as KWRW achieved...more than a decade ago.

#181 Essex

Essex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

1333642156[/url]' post='3659309']

Wow, almost, not quite, but almost as big as KWRW achieved...more than a decade ago.

right, ok well if you want to bugger about with numbers, KWRW just celebrated its 25th year,
so that's 15 yrs-ish to get to whatever big number etc etc

#182 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Probably the last update. Registration is at 259. Here's the fleet splits:

http://www.yachtscor...eet.cfm?eID=552

#183 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

The sport boat circle is gonna be a madhouse!

You obviously heard the scoop.

Animal has formed an alliance with El Paso Bob. "Houston has a problem" but has got a fix. Bubbah is a sailing a new boat. The Monkey hurt his balls at Mardi Gras. The Call is descending into the Madness! Debbie is royally pissed off. Chuck is wired. Ched is hungry. The lanky peruvian is missing but you can "ask an aussie". Soley is in charge of Bay three which is completely out of control. The Panda is beyond vicious. Lee and Eric will have the usual dockside bar and deck chairs, Brad wants to race go-karts again, our Class leader is truly Double D, and its Whisky Diablo until 2am on Saturday night

Sooooo

Madhouse is probably an understatement. Charleston - The Vipers are coming!

#184 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

5 days and a wake up people Go Team!

I will go out on a limb and say the WX looks really good.

Sail safe!

#185 Holding Tank

Holding Tank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Looking forward to it but can anyone tell me what the thought is on PHRF E? Seems like the island of misfit toys division? Only 5 boats too would make more sense sending them off to B,C, and D. Im only asking cause im on one of these misift rides and would prefer to race in a bigger fleet.

#186 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Looking forward to it but can anyone tell me what the thought is on PHRF E? Seems like the island of misfit toys division? Only 5 boats too would make more sense sending them off to B,C, and D. Im only asking cause im on one of these misift rides and would prefer to race in a bigger fleet.

One of those fleets is going to race on a long, fixed mark course. Harbor start, out into the ocean and back in. I also think that might be a non-spin class?

#187 DriverEd

DriverEd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

I sent a question in asking if I had to buy a ticket for Sarah, no one has responded yet. That would be ridiculous in the extreme if they want $60 for a 15 year old to attend.

#188 DriverEd

DriverEd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Animal has formed an alliance with El Paso Bob. "Houston has a problem" but has got a fix. Bubbah is a sailing a new boat. The Monkey hurt his balls at Mardi Gras. The Call is descending into the Madness! Debbie is royally pissed off. Chuck is wired. Ched is hungry. The lanky peruvian is missing but you can "ask an aussie". Soley is in charge of Bay three which is completely out of control. The Panda is beyond vicious. Lee and Eric will have the usual dockside bar and deck chairs, Brad wants to race go-karts again, our Class leader is truly Double D, and its Whisky Diablo until 2am on Saturday night

Sooooo

You forgot to mention the drunken rednecks on 55.

#189 Holding Tank

Holding Tank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I cant imagine the Thompson is too thrilled about it either.

#190 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

phrf e does suck. put the melges and the thompson in phrf b and the other 3 in phrf c. seems like a no brainer...no one wants to sail against 4 other boats.

#191 Holding Tank

Holding Tank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

phrf e does suck. put the melges and the thompson in phrf b and the other 3 in phrf c. seems like a no brainer...no one wants to sail against 4 other boats.

That was my thought. I get their attempt to try and group boats that will plane or semi sport boats together but when there are only 4-5 its silly. Im hoping they spread us across c and d and let the chips fall where they may. Would be disapointing to come all the way to CRW to a 250+ boat regatta only to race against 4 boats. PHRF splits are never perfect but instead of trying to build in some subjective grouping that will only end up pissing off someone why not simply accept PHRF for its shortcomings and base the splits purely on rating bands. Thats how its done everywhere else to my knowledge.

#192 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

That was my thought. I get their attempt to try and group boats that will plane or semi sport boats together but when there are only 4-5 its silly. Im hoping they spread us across c and d and let the chips fall where they may. Would be disapointing to come all the way to CRW to a 250+ boat regatta only to race against 4 boats. PHRF splits are never perfect but instead of trying to build in some subjective grouping that will only end up pissing off someone why not simply accept PHRF for its shortcomings and base the splits purely on rating bands. Thats how its done everywhere else to my knowledge.

the thompson and m30 would compete well w/ the "sporty" j boats in phrf b. it would take a blow for the phrf c boats to plane, which would allow the sr and rossi to fit right in. the azzurs should plane easily but doesn't so stick them in c as well.

#193 Winever

Winever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

I think they got it right. Put those boats into non-planing fleets and you piss off a lot more entries, boats, people. Plus, racing against other boats with a waterline difference of only 2 feet makes much more sense than racing boats 10 feet longer, while the PHRF range still stays about the same. But hey, I don't have a dog in the fight....

Cheers, Winever.

#194 Holding Tank

Holding Tank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

I think they got it right. Put those boats into non-planing fleets and you piss off a lot more entries, boats, people. Plus, racing against other boats with a waterline difference of only 2 feet makes much more sense than racing boats 10 feet longer, while the PHRF range still stays about the same. But hey, I don't have a dog in the fight....

Cheers, Winever.

Thats the whole problem with trying to get more out of PHRF than it can deliver. In this instance it could work and make for good racing if you had 8-10 of these sort of boats but with 5 boats and a rating spit from 30-80 its silly. I also dont see what the others would have to bitch about by adding 1 or 2 semi planing boats to a 15 boat boat class, do you really thing those boats would just run away with it? It would again be different if there were 8-10 of these sort of boats being added. In the end we will live with their decision and respect it whether it makes for optimal racing will have to wait and see.

#195 keydup

keydup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:sailing, fishing

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Sooooo

Wait a minute, I resemble that remark...

#196 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,931 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Sounds like a great regatta: pity I can't be there.. :(

Thanks to my mate Snowguy for hooking up my daughters boy-toy with a ride on a New England based sportboat!! He will have way more fun than the 4 knot PHRF shitbox he was planning to crew on... I hope that his depth of local knowledge of currents, navigation and wind conditions will help their efforts! :D

#197 ovclampett

ovclampett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

Weather?

#198 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

Sooooo

Wait a minute, I resemble that remark...

I dont have space to list all the boats with drunken rednecks on (are there any sober ones in the Viper fleet)? But I will miss the Irish IOR boat from a few years back. "I always speak slurred so my wife cant tell when Im drunk" - brilliant.

The owner from Smile and Wave from PR has just gotten himself a ride on a Viper. Glyn and Ian are coming over from UK for their first CRW as well. A few M32 owners scattered in there as well.

#199 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

There are some local knowledge tips from CofC coach and previous winners of CRW posted on the Viper forums http://forum.viper64...?topic=1166.105

They're useful for anyone sailing on the inshore courses.

See y'all in a couple of days.

VMK

#200 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

How about a sub class for 29's? Or put
us in J sub class with 111's

0 user(s) are reading this topic