228 replies to this topic

#201 GIBY

GIBY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Unfortunately the race course numbers on yacht scoring do not match up with those from Ward's tips.

Ward makes mention to Circle 0, 1, and 2, while yachtscoring has the courses as circle 1, 2, and 3.

#202 Squalamax

Squalamax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

How about a sub class for 29's? Or put
us in J sub class with 111's

Not a bad idea. The 111's will be gone after the start, so shouldn't be an issue.

#203 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

Unfortunately the race course numbers on yacht scoring do not match up with those from Ward's tips.

Ward makes mention to Circle 0, 1, and 2, while yachtscoring has the courses as circle 1, 2, and 3.

Already noted. Locals refer to them as 0, 1,2. 0=1 1=2 etc.

#204 Kack

Kack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

Anybody going past or coming into the airport around 1:30 Wed? I need a pick up or a hitch hike. either way

#205 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

One day and a wake up!PS,
The America's Cup is coming to Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina on Saturday, April 21. That's right, the 161-year-old trophy will be on display from noon until later that evening. A special presentation (open to the public and free) about the America's Cup competition will be given at 1:00 p.m. and again at 6:30 p.m. The 6:30 p.m. event will feature music and an open bar for $20 per person (21 and over). Attendees under 21 years of age will be admitted for $10.

disclamer: I just received an e-mail from CORA stating above. Thought it good to inform.

Sail safe

#206 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Anyone need crew? I'm driving down Thursday from NC. Lots of experience in small and big boats. PM me please if you need someone.

Jerry

#207 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Looks like the Farr 30s couldn't make it work, and I noticed Deneen listed on a Melges 20, presumably a charter. Overall numbers are up though, total is now 263

#208 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Tides & Currents seminar vid coming along nicely.

Attached Files

#209 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Looks like the Farr 30s couldn't make it work, and I noticed Deneen listed on a Melges 20, presumably a charter. Overall numbers are up though, total is now 263

Yeah. They jumbed into M-20's and a couple of 24's. Deneen has chartered my buddy's M-20. That's going to be a tough fleet.

#210 RobbieB

RobbieB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Place is starting to hop! I think they call it race week cause people start showing up on Monday. ChYC lot is already full of M20's and a few 24's and some J80's for the FREE hoist and parking the club is so generously offering! That's southern hospitality. Saw Clean on Monday. Yesterday must have been 4 knot shit box day as a crew of us were prepping J24's w/more of that to come tonight. Everyone will pretty much be on hand tomorrow night for the opening ceremony as e-mails are going around w/a "See you Thursday" salutation.

So, Yeah. This is a "Race Week". Just w/3 days of competitive sailing.

#211 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Reminder: The America's Cup trophy will be arriving on Saturday and will be on display all day. 1 PM is the 'free to the general public' Cupdate presentation, and 630 PM is the "for the racers" version.

BTW, I have never seen it this busy on a Tuesday in 7 years of this event.

#212 JItillIdie

JItillIdie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

sunday is going to be brutal for the offshore boats, wx permitting. ht at 0928 means we'll be fighting it outbound and chances are we'll be on our way in well before the 1523 lt.

#213 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,347 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

tide will barely be moving at 9 AM when you leave the dock though Rob.

On another note, it took us 8 minutes to get from the end of the jetty to sumter yesterday on the carbonado with a big flood and 12 knots of boatspeed jib reaching. hee hee.

#214 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

BTW, I have never seen it this busy on a Tuesday in 7 years of this event.

+1 . Place has already has a buzz. I haven't ever seen so many boats and sailors arriving early.
Might be the warm weather has made everyone head out early. We planned to leave Weds am, but decided to bug out on Tuesday evening instead.

Sticklers for factual accuracy will point out that today is actually Wednesday not Tuesday but Clean is burning both ends of the candle so he is excused.

#215 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

We found good watering hole this afternoon. Finz is a great bar if you are looking for Mt Pleasant's answer to Maddy's. Cool spot. Great draft beer. Tell the bar keep, Taylor that you are here for CRW. He took good care of some early viper arrivals .

Turn right out of the resort access road......and its just before the car wash on the left.

Never seen so many Vipers on I95 on the drive down.

#216 SW Dropout

SW Dropout

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Interests:fast boats, fast women

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

Tides & Currents seminar vid coming along nicely.

Did this ever get finalized and posted? I don't see it anywhere, but it sounds like everyone has been swamped putting the final touches on everything.

#217 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

I95 is infested with Vipers. Phone pic sent to me yesterday. Mile 31 VA heading south. Convoy .Attached File  IMG00350-20120418-1336.jpg   97.37K   72 downloads

#218 M24_Brinksmanship

M24_Brinksmanship

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hey Clean - who is covering the racing this year online ? You guys doing OTWA ? Sail22 with their sailing updates ?

#219 Saltwater Cowboy

Saltwater Cowboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

No live on the water anarchy coverage?

We're not about to stop a 7-year tradition now...

So where is the live coverage?

#220 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Btwx Facebook, Twitter & the live race blogs on Yachtscoring, it's all there & up to the minute.

#221 M24_Brinksmanship

M24_Brinksmanship

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Btwx Facebook, Twitter & the live race blogs on Yachtscoring, it's all there & up to the minute.

Yeah - and that coverage is pathetically LAME ... wheres vids ? Where the live coverage ??

Bummer - thats all.

#222 4deckgye

4deckgye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

L'Outrage in 1st. Not surprised. Keeping kicking Butt you guys, wish I was there!

#223 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Today's was forecast to be 5-6 knots building out of the North East,

Instead it was AWESOME from Race 1 thru Race 4. Fantastic racing.

A little carnage on the Viper course with a couple of boats going too close to read the "Dangerous" sign on Middle Ground.

More later.....the bar opens in 10.

#224 Saltwater Cowboy

Saltwater Cowboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Congrats Justin. Good racing today. I'm really missing the Black Mamba this weekend.

Who is Sara Fox? She was posting on the CRW crew board for both crew, and she's smoking everyone.

#225 SnakeOnAPlane

SnakeOnAPlane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

Congrats Justin. Good racing today. I'm really missing the Black Mamba this weekend.

Who is Sara Fox? She was posting on the CRW crew board for both crew, and she's smoking everyone.

+ 1 on the congrats, and on wanting to know who is Sara Fox.

Worrying up north here about the sheep.

#226 BrianY

BrianY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Based upon the PHRF A results, it appears the McConaghy 38 vs. Farr 400 debate has been settled. No Farr was ever closer than 1 minute and a half back at the finish.

So is it conditions, crew work or just a definitive boat speed advantage?

#227 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

I was kinda wondering why they call Charleston the "Holy City". Now I realize it is short for "Holy Crap there are a lot of hotties here!"

I was down here to get the boat worked up for the Atlantic Cup, but swung by the party last night. It was a great vibe. Several hundred sailors guzzling Goslings, shooting shit about the racing. Sand between the toes, some music in the background. And the actual America'ss Cup showed up. An excellent party and great vibe.

And apparently the racing was excellent too. Kudos to the folks who make this happen. Next time I will come down to race.

#228 TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Skiing, travelling with family, support boat 470 fleet

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

Ya who was that Sara Fox character anyway she smoked almost all the big boys.....don't think its hereditary

#229 chaosmaster

chaosmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

Is this video still available somewhere? Can you share the ink?

Edit: My friend Mr. Google just found it for me. Any other advice is still appreciated.

Heading to Charleston next month... never been there and since I sail in Chicago, know even less about currents.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Chaos

Michael Miller's 'Tides & Currents 'Chalk Talk' is moving to video, to be posted online and available forever, in response to skippers' requests. I'll be getting to town quite early so i have a couple of days to get the video together with MM.

Good news, great numbers, and quite likely the most enjoyable CRW ever coming right up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users