Old warhorse in the shop for a makeover...

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

So, after the Seasmoke deal fell through, we spent a rough three months without a paying boat in the shop. Granted, I had a couple of ours for the boys to get minimal hours on but still had to lay off most of the crew. That changed three weeks ago when two of the boys and I went to Seattle to deliver "Anomoly", a modified Santa Cruz 50, back up to the yard for some extensive cosmetic work.

We had a great ride on a boat where everything worked, unusual for my deliveries. We sailed through an Orca pod and enjoyed cold sunshine and dolphins for most of the trip up the Inlet. We averaged 10 knots for the trip at 2400 RPM due to a favorable tide for 90% of the trip.

When it came time to haul out, pulling the stick went well but we found the boat was too tall for the trailer. Having a 9.5' draft wasn't the issue. Having a keel that was 7.5' from foot to the hull was. So, the boat set for a bit over a week while myself and the Colony Wharf guys figured out something. Figure out something we did and the boat came out of the water and into the shop on Dec 27th.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

She's in for complete paint (hull and house), along with new non-skid. On getting her into the shop, it was decided to do a blister job and barrier coat as well. Here are a few shot of the bottom thus far.

Posted Image

#2 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Posted Image

While those patches look horrendous, when ya measure them, most are less than 1/32", as shown by the straight edge on the deepest i could find.

Posted Image

Pulling the hardware took three full days with four guys. Yes, she's an IOR winch farm...

Bagged and tagged:

Posted Image

Looking rather empty up there:

Posted Image

More as we progress....

#3 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Correction, not built to the IOR rules but still a winch farm...

#4 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Excuse my ignorance. With that much blistering (osmosis I presume) wouldn't it have been better to shave the whole hull, rather than leave all the bits where osmosis hasn't yet become obvious but will likely show up next year?

#5 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

I would rather shave it but it's the owner's call. Considering she's primarily a fresh water boat (Lake Washington), these came from her earlier life racing in salt water. There is the chance that new, undiscovered ones might pop up.

#6 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

I would rather shave it but it's the owner's call. Considering she's primarily a fresh water boat (Lake Washington), these came from her earlier life racing in salt water. There is the chance that new, undiscovered ones might pop up.

"owner's call" - I'd be wanting that in writing in case it comes back to bite.

#7 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

After further discussion, it's been pretty much decided to peel the Gelcoat once we've hit all of the visible blisters. Blastng was considered but the lack of depth control bothers me on such a thin, cored hull like the SC-50.

#8 soling2003

soling2003

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • Interests:sailing, of course, retired now. Diving, skiing, etc.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Looking forward to seeing her all done and back on the water. I've always liked that boat. Are they changing the color scheme? Dark blue with gold stripes by chance??? LOL

#9 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:19 AM

Nope, a slightly different white and the black stripes. While I'd love to a custom paint on it, TOG is a bit more conservative than that...;)

#10 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

Done a few bottom jobs and use soda blasting.The accuracy these guys have is amazing.Can take of the antifoul in one run then the gelcoat on the next.Then you can see exactly what you are dealing with.Much quicker than a grinder.

#11 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

After further discussion, it's been pretty much decided to peel the Gelcoat once we've hit all of the visible blisters. Blastng was considered but the lack of depth control bothers me on such a thin, cored hull like the SC-50.

Good call.

#12 stickboy

stickboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

1326094331[/url]' post='3538699']
Done a few bottom jobs and use soda blasting.The accuracy these guys have is amazing.Can take of the antifoul in one run then the gelcoat on the next.Then you can see exactly what you are dealing with.Much quicker than a grinder.

I'd have to agree. I've had a couple of boats soda blasted and it's a matter of choosing which layer of vapor barrier to stop at.

#13 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

Glad you guys got some work! I heard some major horror stories from the P.O. of that Baba 40 I was considering. Lucky I have a more practical wife!

#14 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,345 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

My understanding of blisters is that all you need is water doesn't matter if its fresh or not. I've seen boats kept in Lake Washington full of blisters primarily due to a lack of proper barrier paint and the boat being a smaller cheaper hull made with cheaper materials.

#15 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:21 AM

My understanding of blisters is that all you need is water doesn't matter if its fresh or not. I've seen boats kept in Lake Washington full of blisters primarily due to a lack of proper barrier paint and the boat being a smaller cheaper hull made with cheaper materials.

I've read so much different stuff on blisters and causes over the years that it's all turned into soup. But the osmotic pressure in freshwater is actually higher than in salt water (remember the experiment in biology class with the osmotic membrane separating salt and fresh water?).

As for that sc50, always wanted one of those. If only I had the financial resources. Guess I'm stuck with the little sister...

#16 getsome

getsome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Keep the photos coming!!!

#17 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

For those that missed the thieving thread, we sart back with the new tools today...B)

#18 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:56 AM

For those that missed the thieving thread, we sart back with the new tools today...B)

Any progress catchin' the assmunches that caused you to need new tools?

Fuggers - I've got a special hell in mind for assholes like that. (google Centralia PA)

#19 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Pretty sure they were ex subs we used last year when we were so slammed. They knew how to avoid the cameras, last time.... Nothing yet.

#20 whynotsolo?

whynotsolo?

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:racing short handed, windsurfing, good rum :)

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

here on Lake Michigan we have plenty of fresh water boats with blisters. In addition to that, they are only in the water 5 months a year and high and dry the rest.

#21 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Do you realise that you just told the bad guys that you now have a lot of brand new tools for them to come back & steal?

#22 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

They'll need a torch and all night to get them this time...

Besides, the folks I think stole the tools likely can't spell Sailing Anarchy much less find it...:lol:

#23 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

isn't it aweful how in these situations you almost always have a good idea who it was? Pisses me off

#24 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

And to be careful who you hire... Bad egg may solve a short term problem, but the hangover is never worth it.

#25 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

It's been a while so I figured it was time for an update. The peeling went good as did the epoxy work, if long. It takes a lot to fair that stuff right.

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

That's just to show the progression. Of course, there was some deam to deal with.

Posted Image

After I got the core cleaned out.

Posted Image

#26 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

There are more but a couple Id like to show are the preliminary cardboard mockup of a sugar scoop he is thinking about. Trust me, this is a very crude mockup. The real thing would be tooled up and laid up off the boat and then glassed in.

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

No, it won't have creases, wrinkles and such....

#27 sailman

sailman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

There are more but a couple Id like to show are the preliminary cardboard mockup of a sugar scoop he is thinking about. Trust me, this is a very crude mockup. The real thing would be tooled up and laid up off the boat and then glassed in.

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

No, it won't have creases, wrinkles and such....

Keep the tape though.:P

#28 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

:lol: Yeah, it's real crude. We'll be messing with it today, if I can find some more cardboard....:D

#29 maxtrim

maxtrim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:sailing, cruising, racing sailboats, bbq & cervezas

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

:lol: Yeah, it's real crude. We'll be messing with it today, if I can find some more cardboard....:D

if you need any pics or dimensions I can measure our's up (Flaca-ex Surfer Girl)

#30 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

That would be cool except that Anomaly had her transom opened by The Wizard and her geometry is different. She's flatter underneath, which causes problems and they moved her backstay tangs lower, which cost me more clearance. I was looking at pics of Hula Girl and can see that there are big differences. Hula Girl would have been easy to do. The issue is what to do with the thru hulls and exhaust. I simply don't have the clearances to run them out the back of my scoop because of the angles made by Bill Lee's mods..

#31 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

if you need any pics or dimensions I can measure our's up (Flaca-ex Surfer Girl)

Yeah, go ahead and get it for me. Every little bit helps...:D

#32 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Surfer Girl was a pretty boat. (I always had a soft spot for the SC 50.) What's the significance of Flaca?

#33 Saboteer

Saboteer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:BOATS

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Another source for stern scoops on SC 50's is Dencho Marine in Long Beach, CA. They did Horizon's transom. Beautiful job.

#34 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

Sugar scoops make great urinals on distance races. I've contemplated elmers-gluing a urinal cake to the side more than a few times.

Looking good so far. How does ToG feel about the progress?

#35 notallthere

notallthere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts
  • Interests:any sport that starts with S

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

That would be cool except that Anomaly had her transom opened by The Wizard and her geometry is different. She's flatter underneath, which causes problems and they moved her backstay tangs lower, which cost me more clearance. I was looking at pics of Hula Girl and can see that there are big differences. Hula Girl would have been easy to do. The issue is what to do with the thru hulls and exhaust. I simply don't have the clearances to run them out the back of my scoop because of the angles made by Bill Lee's mods..

Emergency rudder attachment as well...

#36 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Sugar scoops make great urinals on distance races. I've contemplated elmers-gluing a urinal cake to the side more than a few times.

Looking good so far. How does ToG feel about the progress?

I'll leave that for him to say but he seems pleased.

Emergency rudder attachment as well...

Yeah, he wants that gone along with the runner tracks.

#37 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Well since it’s been asked, let me say I’m happy with how Charlie and the boys are handling the project, and Charlie definitely makes every effort to do it right and make it look good too.

The initial haul out was, as he pointed out, a “surprise” but we ended up amicably agreeing to split the added costs.

The bottom peel and restoration is the biggest part of the job and it was not originally planned. But once the situation was defined, it became the only proper solution. Finding the tool that he did turned out to be a great result. Of course, there is significantly more labor than originally expected, but again, accepted.

Unfortunately the thefts lost him a week, but no back charges to me even though boat is in the yard and he pays them a monthly for his shed/tent.

Charlie learned a bit about ULDB’s and balsa cored hulls and how they “sound,” but a quick visit by a surveyor clarified that there was only the one wet/delam that he showed in this thread in the entire hull. Quite the testament to Bill Lee and the original lay up (1984)

As we approach the completion of the major work the topsides are prepped and final finish and fairing on the bottom is near, the costs have stayed in line with the original estimates with no significant surprises.

I am hopeful that as the end nears the restoration of all the parts (winches, hardware, windows etc) will go well and I won’t see a dramatic uptick in costs.

Because the labor has been close to estimates, I was encouraged enough to consider adding the scoop. Still in the planning stage and awaiting an outside fabrication estimate, but I’d sure like to do it.

Peeker and I are ready to get her (the boat, idiots) back on the water this spring.

TOG

#38 maxtrim

maxtrim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

Surfer Girl was a pretty boat. (I always had a soft spot for the SC 50.) What's the significance of Flaca?

the owner was born & raised in Mexico, you always pick a mistress that's skinnier than your wife and since flaca means "skinny girl", it's a common term of endearment for their women. Also, when he went to pick her up there was another really beamy 50' something at the docks next to her, his first comment was "what a skinny girl", it was destined from there.
He's gone through the boat bow to stern, she's gorgeous now !

#39 maxtrim

maxtrim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

Yeah, go ahead and get it for me. Every little bit helps...:D

sorry Charlie, will have to be next week, off to prep boat (not Flaca but Rapid Transit) for the SD to PV race, we start on Friday

#40 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

Well since it's been asked, let me say I'm happy with how Charlie and the boys are handling the project, and Charlie definitely makes every effort to do it right and make it look good too.

The initial haul out was, as he pointed out, a "surprise" but we ended up amicably agreeing to split the added costs.

The bottom peel and restoration is the biggest part of the job and it was not originally planned. But once the situation was defined, it became the only proper solution. Finding the tool that he did turned out to be a great result. Of course, there is significantly more labor than originally expected, but again, accepted.

Unfortunately the thefts lost him a week, but no back charges to me even though boat is in the yard and he pays them a monthly for his shed/tent.

Charlie learned a bit about ULDB's and balsa cored hulls and how they "sound," but a quick visit by a surveyor clarified that there was only the one wet/delam that he showed in this thread in the entire hull. Quite the testament to Bill Lee and the original lay up (1984)

As we approach the completion of the major work the topsides are prepped and final finish and fairing on the bottom is near, the costs have stayed in line with the original estimates with no significant surprises.

I am hopeful that as the end nears the restoration of all the parts (winches, hardware, windows etc) will go well and I won't see a dramatic uptick in costs.

Because the labor has been close to estimates, I was encouraged enough to consider adding the scoop. Still in the planning stage and awaiting an outside fabrication estimate, but I'd sure like to do it.

Peeker and I are ready to get her (the boat, idiots) back on the water this spring.

TOG

Thanks for that Mate, appreciate it.

#41 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

How much longer do you plan to keep the boat at CW? I want to stop by to see it.

#42 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

She'll be there a couple of weeks at best.

#43 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

TOG - go for the scoop and make it a swimstep --- you know my boat pretty well, and our stern platform is one of the best features on the boat. Hot/cold shower, near waterline level step from a dinghy....it's all good, so go for it!

I think it will give your boat a nice graceful stern as well.

WWing

#44 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

We'll be doing the final mock-up, which also serves as the outer mold for the hull extension part this week (early).

#45 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

Ok, we've progressed across the board with the boat. The bottom is pretty much ready for barrier coat, once the scioop is tied in. Here are some shots of the scoop work:

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

We did change the curvature on the scoop today so it doesn't look so fat. More to come.

Oh, another shot of the hull at present.

Posted Image

#46 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Performance Sailboats
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

That scoop looks really nice.

#47 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

It's getting there, thanks.

#48 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

Is that a clear epoxy over the hull or does the peeler leave it looking that smooth?

#49 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Two coats of clear epoxy with a lot of fairing during the process, probably 200 hrs worth. One more fairing pass to do once the scoop is tied into the hull.

#50 Cavelamb

Cavelamb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Two coats of clear epoxy with a lot of fairing during the process, probably 200 hrs worth. One more fairing pass to do once the scoop is tied into the hull.

Awesome work, Charlie.

#51 -Julian-

-Julian-

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Beautiful Work.

#52 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

Thanks Guys. Wait until she rolls out of the building....:D

#53 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Y'know Charlie, I have to say after working on Soņadora for a year and a half, I've developed a great appreciation for the kind of work you do. A buddy asked me yesterday if I thought I could do it for a living. Weird question, but the truth is I've really enjoyed the work! Not saying I'm any good at it, but I've had a blast and I'm only 1/2 done.

Maybe one of these days I'll open up Grand Portage Yachts up on the north shore just so I can fuck around with working on boats.

#54 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, after getting laid off in '09 and hearing from everybody up here for two years that I oughta be doing this for a living, I finally did. We've come a looooong way in just under two years Mate. Of course, I had many years of experience in other fields to bring to the table that matched this work nicely.

#55 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hi Charlie,

I stopped by on Friday to have a look see. You were not about.

So if your camera sees some random guy in a blue coat looking at TOG's boat, I wasn't casing the shop, just the boat. B)

Hull looks great! Having done a full blister peel myself, I have a regrettable appreciation for your project.

How is the scoop attached to the hull? All I could see from the floor was the plywood mold.

#56 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

It'll be tabbed in upper and lower with woven ties, as well as another tie in along the hull bottom when the upper work is done and the mold removed. Just the lower section as it is will support 300 Lbs. without flex or issue. He'll tear up the rest of the boat before that scoop fails.

#57 PiperN4467

PiperN4467

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and apparently working on boats. General Aviation.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

It'll be tabbed in upper and lower with woven ties, as well as another tie in along the hull bottom when the upper work is done and the mold removed. Just the lower section as it is will support 300 Lbs. without flex or issue. He'll tear up the rest of the boat before that scoop fails.

Spent a couple of nights sleeping with "old warhorse"? First, CC's crew stays at it. Oh, to be that young. As you can see from the pics, ALL of an SC50's (Soon to be SC52) hull is OVERHEAD. My arms ache just thinking about.

Charlie gave me a tour of the progress. Don't worry about that scoop. Between the bottom bond to the outside skin and the stiffener sections dropping off the existing transom, that scoop ain't going anywhere. Charlie's crew is sure getting a load of experience with primo epoxy systems.

A great life extension for a great boat. Can't wait to see it out on the water.

Good to see you, OH Joy, Tayana 37, and Anamoly.

Good Luck - Left my tool stash in the west building.

#58 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything on the water, including skiing on the frozen stuff

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

Never did see pictures of the boat finished - let's see some of the old girl with her new look!

WWing

#59 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Wrapping things up. Scoop work was way slow. I had to take it over myself or it would be June before it was done.

#60 getsome

getsome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Lets see some pics of the boat complete!!

#61 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

You will, when it is...

#62 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

You will, when it is...

bump

#63 peeker

peeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Location:just moved from starboard coast to the leeward coast.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

You will, when it is...

bump

White Wing...it is so close...so very close. TOG and I saw her on friday, and the scoop looked fabulous. Looks like the boat was born with it, no discernible lines where it was added. Starting to get antsy to get her out on the water and go for a good sail.

#64 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

I hear ya Peeker.. We're peddling as fast as the processes will allow us to. If ya thought she looked good then, just wait until this weekend if y'all come up.:D

#65 SereneSpeed

SereneSpeed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:this stuff and other stuff

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Complete?

#66 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

this thread sucks ;)

It's like the chick with the nice tits who almost takes her top off.

#67 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Tell me about it. Anomaly apparently likes our shop. I'm trying to convince her otherwise...:blink:

#68 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

Bacon grease will get her unstuck!

#69 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

I finally got past the issue with the hull paint. We abandoned all of the touch up techniques, took it back down and I sprayed the entire hull solo. That's a lot of fucking boat to spray by oneself. The light doesn't show it well but she looks like glass.

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

Here's a look at the bottom:

Posted Image

Yeah, it was a little dusty. We'll wipe it down for the rollout.

More to come...

#70 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

No shots of the sugar scoop? Your killing us!

#71 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Do the owner a favor and give him a short length of hose that's a tight enough fit to cram into the engine exhaust to use on deliveries. I've spent a gazillion hours back in the day scrubbing diesel exhaust residue off the sugar scoop on an SC70.

#72 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Tomorrow...

#73 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Tomorrow...

Now your starting to sound like my wife :P

#74 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

Ok, TOG took a shot of the scoop before my repaint so I'll post it up here for you guys.

Posted Image

Just keep in mind, she looks much better today.

#75 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Thank you. Nicely done, hard to believe the hull wasn't molded that way. A little different than I was picturing.

#76 SereneSpeed

SereneSpeed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:this stuff and other stuff

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

Looks great!

Can't wait to see it from a couple different angles.Thanks for the pics.

#77 peeker

peeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Come on Charlie, post some pics and show everyone what a wonderful job you did!

#78 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

It is simple not fair that you don't have a Chesapeake shop.

I know we could keep you busy.

#79 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

Peeker, I'll get some more tomorrow after we clean up topside and post them up. I hate posting up unfinished work. :D

#80 peeker

peeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Well Charlie, I will tell you that I was terribly excited to see her out in the sunlight yesterday, I even climbed the terrifying scaffolding to peek into the cockpit. And your son was very pleasant and polite...good job there.

#81 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

She does look good out there. Can't wait to see her in the water where she belongs.

#82 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

It is simple not fair that you don't have a Chesapeake shop.

I know we could keep you busy.

Maybe someday. We have to get this one established solidly first. Having a year's worth the work lined up goes a long way toward that.:D

#83 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

Here we go. Anomaly was launched today. What a long assed day it was.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spacer

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another spacer

#84 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#85 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:46 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ya like?:D

#86 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:56 AM

A slideshow for those who want more...

http://s234.photobuc...mview=slideshow

#87 deadbeatracer

deadbeatracer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

Fantastic! Amazing what hundreds of hours of sanding will do!
Brings back good memories sailing on those boats when they had their own start in Seattle.

#88 European Bloke

European Bloke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

I bet the owner is very pleased.

I was looking for an architect to work on my house recently. All with great recommendations from friends, all talked a good game, all similar prices, one had some great before and after pictures of past projects he’d done. He got the work.

#89 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Looks really great - nice work CC! I can't wait to see her "live" - maybe this weekend. TOG you should be sooooo happy!

WWing

#90 White Wing

White Wing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

A slideshow for those who want more...

http://s234.photobuc...mview=slideshow

Excellent slide show - I really like Anomaly's new stern profile...very graceful.

WWing

#91 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Chris did a nice job on the shaping, especially considering it was his first real glass work. That rolling bevel is within one degree at any point on both sides of the slope.

#92 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

Pretty damn nice, good job Charlie.

#93 Cherie320

Cherie320

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

Charlie - you and your team do wonderful work. It is really great to see her cleaned up and ready to party again. Thanks for sharing. Pat

#94 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:29 AM

You did a beautiful job on that boat. I'm seriously impressed.

#95 Off Watch

Off Watch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
    Sailmaking
    Boatbuilding and Repair
    Offshore Sailing

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:44 AM

Its nice to see the word Craftsman in this lowest cost production world still means something.

You should be proud.

We are going to be in town this weekend, any chance we might get a look?

#96 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

She sailed for Friday Harbor this morning, enroute to a regatta this weekend down south I believe. Nothing finished to look at right now. Just boats in process at the moment.

Anarchist are always welcome at Baggett and Sons.

#97 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

I guess we did something right cause TOG and Peeker were fast and won this weekend. :D

#98 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

Sure is purdy, CC. Is that Kiwigrip on the non-skid? And why the hell are you too far away for me to use for a few projects, dammit?

#99 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yep, it's Kiwi Grip. We hope to open another shop or two in the future.

#100 charisma94

charisma94

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Anarchy

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

That teak pad under the bow roller would piss me off every time I looked at it.... Unless there is a operational reason of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users