Texas Centerboard Circuit 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
869 replies to this topic

#801 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

And another lovely sail was had yesterday!, no swimming ,great breeze(13-15), still no kite, but shrouds and rigging done by next weekend, then we'll see!

Dang Tortuga, After all of this practising your gonna be one tough cookie next season. Looking good hombre, guess Linda isn't getting those pics of the centerboard.
FM

#802 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

Well thanks Mikey!, aim to give SOMEONE a run for thier money next year, we'll see! And yes,no pix, but must say, have not been swimming last two times, think I am getting better, or the boat is easier,Attached File  stella 2 032.jpg   104.88KB   20 downloads or both.

#803 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Hey where do I get one of those hats???

I can't find 'em on ebay......

#804 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

So when and where are we going to start talking 2013's schedule?

#805 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:56 AM

So when and where are we going to start talking 2013's schedule?

Here and soon... Prolly time to start a new thread.
FM

#806 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Yea, need to firm up weekends not to work!

#807 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Still looking for a cmpetetive boat to sail in TCC; any leads are appreciated. Looking at MC Scow, J 18, Megabyate etc.

Red Stripe

#808 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Still only a two person boat?

#809 cayera007

cayera007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Pam and I sailed the Kettle Cup in FL three weeks ago. We held our own to windward, but there were two Buccaneer 18's that ripped me a new a-hole on the downwind leg. They just.....disappeared. If interested Jimmy Yurko has a few on hand. His contact is jimmydyurko and is at gmail dot com.

A few miscellaneous thoughts regarding the Kettle Cup:

You may ask yourself, "Geez Art, why drive halfway across the country for one race!" Well, we have a family member close by (Pam's Grandad), who enjoys our company, so we thought, why not drag the boat - a perfect opportunity to make a few friends.

There were 46 boats in various classes.

Basically, we finished middle of the pack. With the exception of a Daysailer on Saturday, we were the only boat (V15) in Portsmouth without a kite. I recall a couple of Buccs, a Viper 640, Daysailer, Laser 2, 29er XX, and a garage built viper knockoff (can't remember the name). In all but one race, the faster boats had a slight advantage, as the winds tailed off during the course of the race. However, I should mention the crews that finished ahead of us were clearly more accomplished. I should also mention that those who placed behind us were clearly more accomplished.

Lake Monroe is an excellent venue to hold a race. In fact, in times past, an annual regatta with hundreds of boats attending (the peak being ~ 700) was held on Lake Monroe. Unfortunately, in the name of development, the local municipality decided to remove the beach area, thus ending the regatta. B Carter can probably elaborate.

The Lake is situated on the shores of a really cool town; Sanford. In fact, Sanford's Main Street is walkable from the marina, and will remind you of kind of a mini Bourbon Street without the drunks or hairy guys in tutus. Granted, this will dissapoint some, but that's another story.

The Raider contengency was there, and raced in their own fleet. I met the designer and the builder of the Raider - two very cool guys. They said to tell my fellow TCCers howdy. So......HOWDY !!

Everyone we met was first class. Thanks to Brent and MaryAnn for showing us the town - you guys looked awesome zipping around on your 29er.

If at all possible, we will attend next year. I'm sure Pam's grandad would appreciate another visit.

Art

#810 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

We needed a pic for Art's post!

Posted Image

#811 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

Outstanding!, wish we could have gone, Brent is a fellow IC'r now and almost bought my 29er when I still had it, sounds like a trip next year is deff on the bucket list!

#812 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Possibly 3 of us weta people are going to Ft Walton in March.

#813 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

If it doesn't interfere with TCC, let me know details, want to go! Always fun sailin with the trihull crazies!

#814 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

I vote against any TCC happy, fun-times the weekend of March 22, 2013. It is doubtful your beloved TWATS will be available.

#815 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

Still looking for a cmpetetive boat to sail in TCC; any leads are appreciated. Looking at MC Scow, J 18, Megabyate etc.

Red Stripe

Melges 17, modern scow w/assy, look for used boats @ class assoc website.
Raider 16 II..
Buck 18 would fit in nicely...
http://sailingtexas....egabyte104.html
Tasar? - Check N.A. tasar assoc.
Weto 4.4, used boats occasionally on the weta yahoo show up..
V15, cheap and available.
Big D's Aussie 18 - Celeste Pizza...hehehe

The MC scow may limit you at windy races as they dont like much over 18kt.
I hope 2013 brings more wind.

#816 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

VX One

Converts from a stable lead assisted dingy to a full-on beast (remove the bulb, add traps and a mast-head spinnaker). Excellent weapon for terrorizing IC's on the TCC.

Attached File  553795_404165189652041_500379521_n.jpg   84.17KB   12 downloads

Attached File  launch 2.jpg   97.7KB   11 downloads

Red Stripe

#817 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

VX One

Converts from a stable lead assisted dingy to a full-on beast (remove the bulb, add traps and a mast-head spinnaker). Excellent weapon for terrorizing IC's on the TCC.

Attached File  553795_404165189652041_500379521_n.jpg   84.17KB   12 downloads

Attached File  launch 2.jpg   97.7KB   11 downloads

Red Stripe

Let me know when ya want some serious trap fodder Ultra.
FM

#818 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

VX terrorizing IC's really. In a driftfest they shine. If there are white caps, see ya later. These pics of the VX must be altered. Never seen them sail in a breeze. Fall dingyfest second day was a Contender, Weta, and AC. No VX's anywhere. Oh, and you could also buy 3 carbon AC's for one VX.. Just saying.

#819 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Haha, I thought a little off season trash would bring big d out of the closet.

Oh you know I have mad respect for those canoes! But I would point out that we've lines up twice... Not just in the drift fest. We had some good breeze on stillhouse. Results were the same.

I wasent at dingyfest.

:-)

VX terrorizing IC's really. In a driftfest they shine. If there are white caps, see ya later. These pics of the VX must be altered. Never seen them sail in a breeze. Fall dingyfest second day was a Contender, Weta, and AC. No VX's anywhere. Oh, and you could also buy 3 carbon AC's for one VX.. Just saying.

#820 kentwm

kentwm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Oh you know I have mad respect for those canoes! But I would point out that we've lines up twice... Not just in the drift fest. We had some good breeze on stillhouse. Results were the same.

Good breeze at Stillhouse? You got to be kidding, I mean DaveK was out on the water.

#821 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Does anyone know of a Contender for sale? Looks like a fun boat. I pulled the trigger on a Johnson 18 and was going to add a trapeze but the seller ended up being an asshole.

#822 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Also, does anyone know how the Megabyte sails? How does it compare to the Contender in terms of upwind / downwind speed?

#823 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Also, does anyone know how the Megabyte sails? How does it compare to the Contender in terms of upwind / downwind speed?

We used to race against one that did very well. This was 5 or so years ago and it was sailed by someone who is very good. It's more or less a fat mans laser. Does well DDW unlike a Contender. BTW, the Contenders shrouds get in the way of letting the boom out down wind. The boat has nice foils and carbon spars but it will turtle in a hurry. I remember Wesson falling off the bow in a light air race during an auto jibe.... that thing was upside down in a hurry.

#824 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

we talking about the same regatta? I know you guys had a driftfest later in the year but i think our max speed at the bridge too far was around 14 knots. I recall having the bulb out of the water at one point when we were trying to make a point with the kite up.

Good breeze at Stillhouse? You got to be kidding, I mean DaveK was out on the water.

#825 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

If you ever want to try an IC, will bring for ya,we have extras!

#826 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Lindy 911

Buy Mickey's Contender so he can get an IC. You both will be happy. Or look up Ortega or Me and get an IC for $1500 or $3000. Thats what the two here are selling for. Lets talk.

#827 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ultra

Anything over 12 knots steady you will not beat me boat for boat. Ever

#828 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Lindy 911

Buy Mickey's Contender so he can get an IC. You both will be happy.

Can one fish from an IC comfortably?

#829 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Tuna you're killing me here. Comfortably maybe not, but bey doable up to a 5 lb. bass.

#830 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

And Ultra, Big D trounced the vx's at rush creek this year, was much fun to watch. And Mikey, lets try fishing from IC, you'll like it!

#831 kentwm

kentwm

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

we talking about the same regatta? I know you guys had a driftfest later in the year but i think our max speed at the bridge too far was around 14 knots. I recall having the bulb out of the water at one point when we were trying to make a point with the kite up.

Yeah, Bridge Too Far in March, nice easy breeze, probably 10-12 knots the entire day. I even flew my spinnaker for the first time ever on the Raider I had just gotten from John the month before.

BTW... that was a dig at DaveK in my previous post.

#832 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Maybe we need a few points added to our ps number.

Sorry I missed it.

And Ultra, Big D trounced the vx's at rush creek this year, was much fun to watch. And Mikey, lets try fishing from IC, you'll like it!

#833 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Yeah, Bridge Too Far in March, nice easy breeze, probably 10-12 knots the entire day. I even flew my spinnaker for the first time ever on the Raider I had just gotten from John the month before.

BTW... that was a dig at DaveK in my previous post.

I don't even remember BTF..... But I do remember Fall Dinghy fest and you shoulda been there!!! :lol:

#834 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Yea, I'll never forget either, and have the scar to prove it! If ever a lead assited ding should have been there, that was it!

#835 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Kent, the BTF was sailed in 7 to 8 knots with gusts to 10. Never saw a whitecap and the last two legs were a crapshoot with big holes to sail into. We had two races this year in breeze. The Leukemia Cup in Dallas and the Fall Dingyfest. Fact

#836 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Big d vs the animal

2 regattas. 2 victories for the animal

Fact

2011 wurstfest. Big big breeze on day 1. Big d vs team animal on a turbo viper. Big d's canoe was arguably faster around the track yet the spoils went to animal. If memory serves there were only two boats left on the course on d1 after the breeze got into the mid twenties. the other one was a weta. Lesson: Never say ever big d

There was more than 12 on several occasions at btf. And hey, we were on the same course... We simply avoided those holes (which certainly contributed to another well... Never say ever) (3:0 record?)

Btw, all in good fun fellas although I do enjoy jabbing at big d. Should make the first 2013 event a little more sporting

Kent, the BTF was sailed in 7 to 8 knots with gusts to 10. Never saw a whitecap and the last two legs were a crapshoot with big holes to sail into. We had two races this year in breeze. The Leukemia Cup in Dallas and the Fall Dingyfest. Fact

#837 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Posted Image

Spring dinghyfest @ RCYC....Breeze kicked up in race 4 & 5...hmmmm...hehehehe
Don't leave me out of the this shit fight!

#838 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

I believe Big D said boat for boat, portsmouth rating aside, do not think he can be beat, maybe in driftfest but in wind?... not a chance.

And now have kite rigging all done, adjustable cap shrouds and all, can't wait to fly!

#839 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks Ortegakid but Ultra is 3-0 vs the AC. He's the greatest. Ever. Usually two minutes ahead at the start. Crump's Brother gets the biggest set award in 2012 for flying the chute in justs to 28 at the fall dingyfest. I was to afraid to fly mine. I also owe him money for the committee screw up. Well done Crump.

#840 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Getting a little sensitive are we?

You'll have your chance next year. But just so I'm clear... The Vx will never ever beat a turbo'd canoe. How about with the Vx fully turbo'd?

Just want to be clear so there are no but... But...'s if I'm lucky enough to make it 4:0

I stand corrected. Thanks Ortegakid but Ultra is 3-0 vs the AC. He's the greatest. Ever. Usually two minutes ahead at the start. Crump's Brother gets the biggest set award in 2012 for flying the chute in justs to 28 at the fall dingyfest. I was to afraid to fly mine. I also owe him money for the committee screw up. Well done Crump.

#841 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Went back an read the post, your right... Boat / boat. Still say, never say ever.

I believe Big D said boat for boat, portsmouth rating aside, do not think he can be beat, maybe in driftfest but in wind?... not a chance.

And now have kite rigging all done, adjustable cap shrouds and all, can't wait to fly!

#842 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

pix of new shroud system;

Attached Files

#843 Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

You wanna beat Big D in a big blow? To weather, don't know, try to keep up.....Downwind, you gotta make the big Texas flag come out, cause that things hard to suck back in @ the bottom mark.

Very nice looking boat Ortega. Did you do the new shrouds?

KB

#844 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

Taking me to far to the right. Reeling me in like a fish until you stuffed it. Pushing the limits. Now that was fun.

#845 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

What else is there to do on a mild texas mid-winter night?

Taking me to far to the right. Reeling me in like a fish until you stuffed it. Pushing the limits. Now that was fun.

#846 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Yes, I did it all, big help from AC world champ Dave Timson, and Mikey taught me how to splice the dyneema, and Vela Sailing Supply, as usual; where to buy all the bits at the best price!

#847 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Put the rubber plugs in the T-Ball fittings on top of your mast. The mast will still fill with water but not quite so fast. Not that you will ever capsize again but just in case. Looks great Derek.

#848 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Yes, thx Dave, awaiting them, and thx to you also for all the help and my addiction!

#849 8756

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Does anyone know of a Contender for sale? Looks like a fun boat. I pulled the trigger on a Johnson 18 and was going to add a trapeze but the seller ended up being an asshole.

If you're interested in traveling for a project contender that will never be competitive ,USA 1 is available for a case of beer. I only mention it because of how cool would it be to have that hull #

#850 8756

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

By the way the boat is in Kentucky

#851 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Sounds like Hempkers boat. Run away. Fast

#852 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

I got my contender out of a swamp in Florida for a case of beer! It was worth it to me and BTW.... you bought it from me! :P

#853 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

That was Henry's boat. And I bought it to play with you and Mickey. Once you sold it and got your Weta it was gone. A barge compared to the IC. I'm not sure the boat has sailed since it went to Oklahoma. Very big guy bought it that didn't fit the Contender mold at all. This from a past 318lb canoe sailor.

#854 Fishingmickey

Fishingmickey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Merry Christmas & Happy New Years to all the TCC'ers! Looking forward to the 2013 season.
FM

#855 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good AC kite!

Attached Files

#856 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

Looks great! Nice trailer too. I don't have anymore of the purple at all btw.....

Now where do you get those hats????

#857 cayera007

cayera007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hello fellow TCCers:

Wishing each and everyone of my sailing family, a heartfelt Merry Christmas and a Safe and Joyous New Year.
Art

#858 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,453 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

We oughta discuss logistics with respect to the Easter Laser Regatta and the Texas CTB circuit.
I realize the Easter Regatta started as a singlehanded event for people who otherwise had nothing to do.
I also realize that over the thirty years teh Easter Regatta has morphed into a sort of a "Texas Dinghy sailing family" weekend.

I cannot do as I have always done and with lots of help from Sally run the entire thing out of my pocket and with three or four good buddies running the RC...so I would need some serious help. We can discuss exactly what I mean.

But. It seems to be the biggest current obstacle is a total lack of sufficient water to make two decent and separate race courses....and no way in hell will I mix the fleets onto the Laser course. That would suck for everyone.

Let's chat a bit.

#859 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Merry Xmas everyone!!

And Fred..... the Easter regatta needs to stay the way it is!! It's the great OD regatta left and they don't need our rag tag ill f'ing it up!

#860 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Well so much for sailin!

Merry Christmas all my sailing friends!, all over the world!

Attached Files

#861 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Lol... snow and all!

It's so f'ing cold and windy here, It'd be too miserable to watch you sail.

#862 RedTuna

RedTuna

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

Merry Christmas to a great group of sailors.

Brrr...

#863 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

White Christmas in Dallas. Not since 1926. Merry Christmas to all portsmouth oddballers that made this season of sailing one to remember. You are a bunch of misfits but I enjoy yall. Let it blow in 2013

#864 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,453 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Went down to AYC with every intention of blasting around in the 25 steady with gusts above that wind.

The problem was the direction. It was bowing so hard out of the west there were white caps coming out of the cove.
One rule I LIVE by is never going out by myself when I cannot get h9ome with a broken toy and beating into a shifty 25 with gusts wind when tired didn't seem like a very bright idea.

So I spent an hour wandering around retyi9ng boats in their slips. I don't think I have ever, in 30 years of walking docks during big winds, seen as many boats helplesly rubbing against the dock. I suppose the reason is we all bolster our dock lines for north, east and south winds but west never happens and even when never does come around, the winds are straight off shore and it doesn't matter.
But yesterday the waves had a couple hundred yards to build and with all teh breeze, that meant lots of damages.

The UT kids' J-24 was losing its battle with the dock winch but luckily for the toy it was mostly banging that big hunk of steel with its bow pulpit.

Many boom covers had blown off and my own Electra with its brand new boom cover had pulled teh rivets apart on the twisty lock thingies so I had to wrap rope aroound it to make it stay in place.

it was a nice ay to spend an hour. Only two other people showed up and one fellow who shall remain nameless spent the entire time trying to tie his boat from banging on the leeward finger of his slip. i kept offering to help and he kept telling me "I got it." When I finally left he was still working on it.

#865 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Just so y'all think nothin is happnin, here's a pic. New halyard and lock completed, no more mast compression and all light stuff, works so well!, thx to Chris Maas for the jewel and help.

Attached Files

• Attached File  hl.jpg   231.4KB   19 downloads

#866 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Just so y'all think nothin is happnin, here's a pic. New halyard and lock completed, no more mast compression and all light stuff, works so well!, thx to Chris Maas for the jewel and help.

I'm nott sure what I'm looking at????

#867 lindy 911

lindy 911

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

How bad is it? What does it need? I might be interested. I have a trip scheduled in a couple of weeks to Huntsville, AL and could drive up with a trailer. Any photos?

Thanks!

Lindy

#868 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

You are seeing my new halyard lock, dyneema and wire, with lock at top of mast that eliminates mast compression. Used on all the world champs and lots of big boats now, you'll see someday soon!

#869 8756

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

How bad is it? What does it need? I might be interested. I have a trip scheduled in a couple of weeks to Huntsville, AL and could drive up with a trailer. Any photos?

Thanks!

Lindy

I am not the owner, and I have not seen the boat. I found it about a year ago when I was looking for a contender. I was told that all the parts were there but he had removed the Deck with plans of putting on a cedar strip deck. Thats about all I know about the boat. If you are still interested I have PM you the owners Contact Info.

#870 capnflip

capnflip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

You are seeing my new halyard lock, dyneema and wire, with lock at top of mast that eliminates mast compression. Used on all the world champs and lots of big boats now, you'll see someday soon!

Looks good. Beachcat sailors figured out this technology about 40 years ago. I am sure others figured it out long before then.