291 replies to this topic

#1 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people thought. I'm thinking it would be fun to have a sail by or race using Bob's mooring ball as a course mark. I'm thinking we fly Spike burgees and/or wear HTFU t-shirts. Salute the Maestro appropriately at the mark. No touching Perrywinkle!
We could start off the end of Gedney Is. , sail down to Bob and Jill's turn the mark and back to the starting point. We could round Gedney or not. Could be a race, Duck Dodge style, or just a sail by.Of course the more Perry boats the better.One day I intend to come by in my Garden yawl, but it won't be this year. I'm thinking some time in June. Need help figuring out a date that wouldn't conflict with other sailing events so as to get more boats.
We know Bob likes to have sailors come by once in awhile and alot of us have been invited to do so. I intend to stop by again this season myself which got me to thinking. It would be cool if this could be an annual event. So far it's just my half baked idea and I'm ready to be told it's no good. If it doesn't work out, Oh well.
What do you all think?

#2 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people thought. I'm thinking it would be fun to have a sail by or race using Bob's mooring ball as a course mark. I'm thinking we fly Spike burgees and/or wear HTFU t-shirts. Salute the Maestro appropriately at the mark. No touching Perrywinkle!
We could start off the end of Gedney Is. , sail down to Bob and Jill's turn the mark and back to the starting point. We could round Gedney or not. Could be a race, Duck Dodge style, or just a sail by.Of course the more Perry boats the better.One day I intend to come by in my Garden yawl, but it won't be this year. I'm thinking some time in June. Need help figuring out a date that wouldn't conflict with other sailing events so as to get more boats.
We know Bob likes to have sailors come by once in awhile and alot of us have been invited to do so. I intend to stop by again this season myself which got me to thinking. It would be cool if this could be an annual event. So far it's just my half baked idea and I'm ready to be told it's no good. If it doesn't work out, Oh well.
What do you all think?

Once she is in the water you can count on the Sliver participating. Great idea and Bob & Jill live in a nice slightly off of the normal beaten path so we don't get into Port Susan that often, in fact I have only been in there once many years ago.

Let's do it!

#3 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

We'd be in for that.

#4 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

I think it's a smashing idea. It should definitely be a race, not a parade. My only gripe is that I'm on the wrong coast, but I'd make it a goal to make the pilgrimage to Washington to crew for someone.

#5 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Ya...we need a crew bench!!

#6 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Ajax:
Just leave earlier for the start.

I'd like to see that.

Right now I look out the window and there is what appears to be a 36' Beneteau motoring south with a nice 12 to 15 knots breeze on the nose.
Wuss.

#7 Soņadora

Soņadora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

WTF...how did Jackdaw get there? Must be testing his weather helm

:P

#8 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

I think it's a smashing idea. It should definitely be a race, not a parade. My only gripe is that I'm on the wrong coast, but I'd make it a goal to make the pilgrimage to Washington to crew for someone.

Ajax, I'd be proud to have you along if you were to come all that way.It's still early but let's hope we get a few more boats interested. So far it's a race between me and Blackjenner. I don't think Kim will be ready by June.

#9 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:20 AM

Come hell or high water I'll get the A-4 up and running to attend this event and will be happy to bring up the rear of the fleet.

#10 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for giving me one more reason to get Firefly back in the water. :)

#11 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts
  • Interests:It's Obvious!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Come hell or high water I'll get the A-4 up and running to attend this event and will be happy to bring up the rear of the fleet.

"Paging Dr. Bitches, Paging Dr. Hike, Bitches to the surgery wing" :lol:

#12 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

Isn't it a sail boat? ;)

#13 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Isn't it a sail boat? ;)

Ericson 27 that's buried in the far corner of the Edmonds Marina....not brave enough to test the strength of the shrouds against the covred moorage I have to get past on my way out.

And yes, Mr. Bitches is already on speeddial via the Moyer site!

#14 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

Sounds good for us too. Do you know if there is a safe anchorage in Port Susan? I ask as it is about a 45 mile round trip from Shilshole, a fare distance for a slow boat and a slower sailor so spending the night up there would be good. I know there is a little marina on Gendney but I think it is owners only. Edmunds or Everett would be an option too, perhaps a mini CA rondezvous.

#15 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

There are some park moorings up at Kayak Point, farther up Port Susan than the Maestro's beach - Tulare, IIRC - but there really aren't a whole lot of anchorage choices up there. Port Susan is deep and while it's sheltered from the prevailing winds by Camano, that's not enough to provide much protection away from the Camano shore - which is mostly too deep and rocky to anchor. Hat Island or Everett are much better options, though a bit of a sail. Just a few short miles away there's an excellent anchorage and mooring field in Utsalady Bay - but there's all of Camano Island to sail around to get to it. :)

Chart 18423_15, Bellingham to Everett

Edit - From the chart there's a 2-6 fathom patch off Cavalero Beach on the Camano side right up at the head of the bay where it might be possible to anchor for the night. I'm not sure that's a better option than returning to Everett, but I don't see a reason why it couldn't be done. I've never seen anyone anchored there, though - then again, I rarely see anyone in Port Susan at all unless they're a local fishing boat.

#16 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

There is a "cove" at my beach where the anchorage is good. It's 1500 yards from the house.

#17 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

There is a "cove" at my beach where the anchorage is good. It's 1500 yards from the house.

Well, there we go. We can all raft up with Sliver. I'm sure Kim won't mind... ;)

#18 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Now to see if the logistics of getting our boat down there work at all. I know we can do Port Townsend to Sidney in one day, did in one long January day...but it's a long trip for a sailpast.

Passport office this Friday, I may be able to leave the country after all.

#19 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

Now to see if the logistics of getting our boat down there work at all. I know we can do Port Townsend to Sidney in one day, did in one long January day...but it's a long trip for a sailpast.

Passport office this Friday, I may be able to leave the country after all.

I know Everett to Port Townsend is a long but not unreasonable day in our 28. I would expect to be in Everett (or out at Gedney) in the morning to sail up to Bob's place, especially if the tides are against us. On the other hand, if we're going to do it, we could easily plan a barbecue on the beach and invade Bob's cove for the night. Kayak Point is quite a large park if we want picnic tables and fire pits that don't require pissing off Bob's neighbors.

#20 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Wow! Starting to look like my idea is going to take. I like the barby on the beach idea too.

#21 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Except how are we getting ashore?

#22 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks. Since I am south it might make more sense to head to coupville or port ludlow.

#23 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Thanks. Since I am south it might make more sense to head to coupville or port ludlow.

Nah. There's already the annual Perry Rendevous in Port Ludlow - let's leave that as it is, and let this be separate.

#24 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

Dinghy? Floating logs? Teleportation, for those of us who can do it reliably. I keep ending up not where I intended.

#25 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

Nah. There's already the annual Perry Rendevous in Port Ludlow - let's leave that as it is, and let this be separate.

I just meant as a place for me stay overnight instead of heading around camano. I like the idea of something different, not that I have been to the Perry Rendvous. It does seem like a good reaseon to buy a Perry boat though.

#26 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

Steele:
You are very welcome at the Rendezvous regardless of what boat you have.

I have two Walker Bay dinks at the beach.

#27 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

Bob, do you mean the cove where it says Spee-Bi Dah on the chart? Can one go ashore there?

#28 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:27 AM

Dinghy? Floating logs? Teleportation, Expired chlorine vessels for those of us who can do it reliably. I keep ending up not where I intended.

Fixified.

#29 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

Sounds like a hoot people, if it becomes annual we may get an Aussi crew together and borrow a local ride.

#30 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Thor:
No. We are the next beach north from Spee-bi-dah. I don't think you will find our beach noted on any charts.
At the north end of our beach, about a block away is a small cove. It does not ofer much shelter if it blows up but lots of people anchor there.
You can anchor in front of my house too but it's quite deep. The cove is better.

#31 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

Sounds like a hoot people, if it becomes annual we may get an Aussi crew together and borrow a local ride.

If you bring a crew up from down under I will take you aboard the Sliver..........................(once she is in the water.)

#32 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

If you bring a crew up from down under I will take you aboard the Sliver..........................(once she is in the water.)

Riding in style !!!!! Many thanks Kim.

#33 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just want to make sure that this isn't going to turn into something it wasn't intended to be. I mean now we're talking about anchoring just down from Bob's beach and Bob's got a couple Walker Bays etc. Starting to sound like we're inviting ourselves to a party at Bob's. Wasn't meant to be that. It was meant to be a salute to the Maestro and a paying of respect to himself and Jill, and Max as well. Just want to do it right if we do it and not be a pain in the ass. Feedback?

#34 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

If we get that many people and boats together, there's going to be a party. There's a marine-accessible park just up the coast from Bob; it could easily be done in a no-fuss, no-stress, quiet parade past Bob's Beach (the humble demesne of Robert the Gaunt I) and on up to Kayak Point for a party, or it could be a reenactment of the Normandy invasion with less firepower and more barbecue sauce right there on the beach. Or anything in between. The plan works (and is a great idea) either way, I think it's up to Bob and Jill.

#35 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Let's wait and see how many are interested in doing it first then decide. I see no problem invading my beach. I'm one of the quietest neighbors here. It's time I made a rukus.

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,488 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Let's wait and see how many are interested in doing it first then decide. I see no problem invading my beach. I'm one of the quietest neighbors here. It's time I made a rukus.

Posted Image

#37 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Alan:
That was son Max's favorite book years ago. The cover would make a great battle flag for after the race.

#38 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

If my schedule permits I would be more than happy to be the race committee. Does anyone have a cannon? A stick of vegemite dynamite will do in a pinch.

#39 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

If my schedule permits I would be more than happy to be the race committee. Does anyone have a cannon? A stick of vegemite dynamite will do in a pinch.

Oh my! do I really want to tell you this?

I have four fully operational cannons.

Attached Files

#40 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

Now why am I not surprised?

#41 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Oh my! do I really want to tell you this?

I have four fully operational cannons.

You bad boy! Bring 'em all! With chain shot. We will not tolerate over earlies!

#42 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Bob, are you friends with the local fire department ?

#43 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Make them bring their own cannons.

#44 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Now why am I not surprised?

Bob, did I forget to ask you to include the armament in your weight study?

Sliver will be an armed vessel. If we can't beat them on the race course we will simply sink them.

#45 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Sounds great ! In fact the whole thing is starting to sound like a real blast.

#46 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

And, do you wanna be?

I don't have a cannon, but a friend has a golf ball mortar.

#47 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:26 AM

Attached File  126-2613_IMG.JPG   112.63K   30 downloads

Although I continue to be impressed with your stuff, this looks a little shaby. Perhaps you should get Gatekeeper to carve some new wheels for this one.

#48 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:34 AM

Although I continue to be impressed with your stuff, this looks a little shaby. Perhaps you should get Gatekeeper to carve some new wheels for this one.

Nah, a new set of nice red urethane skateboard wheels will be fine. B)

I suspect crappy wheels were a part of the design requirement for a deck cannon. You wouldn't want it to go blasting out the other side of the boat with the recoil.

#49 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

Someones house vacuums missing some wheels.

#50 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

I don't remember where we found those wheels. But they are very heavy steel. Maybe I should paint them black so they won't stand out so.......

#51 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

WTF...how did Jackdaw get there? Must be testing his weather helm

:P

LOL - That would have to be Kestrel.. and Kestrel sails into 15 knots of headwind as fast as she motors.

#52 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Kim,

OK...... Exactly what sort of ammo do those bad boys use???

BV

#53 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

I live on the Tulalip Indian Reservation.
Exploding things is a way of life around here.

#54 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Kim,

BV

You expect me to discuss military secrets in an open forum?

#55 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Kim,

BV

Weeeelllll, I was just wondering. Many decades ago the LAYC had a cannon about like yours (at least one member did). It shot 10-guage shells if I recall correctly and the difficulty was that one couldn't' buy blanks in that gauge easily.... you can guess what happened.

It has been along time, but I believe there was a hole in a mainsail at one point large enough to throw a cat through.

After that, the cannon was "decommissioned" and races were started with a very ordinary 12 gauge shot gun. Not nearly as much fun, and a reduction in income for the local sail makers.

BV

#56 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

That cannon looks like one my younger brother had when we were young. The bore was just the right diameter for lead "shot" cast in toilet paper tubes buried in sand. I've got a few stories....

#57 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Kim,

BV

Weeeelllll, I was just wondering. Many decades ago the LAYC had a cannon about like yours (at least one member did). It shot 10-guage shells if I recall correctly and the difficulty was that one couldn't' buy blanks in that gauge easily.... you can guess what happened.

It has been along time, but I believe there was a hole in a mainsail at one point large enough to throw a cat through.

After that, the cannon was "decommissioned" and races were started with a very ordinary 12 gauge shot gun. Not nearly as much fun, and a reduction in income for the local sail makers.

BV

No shells, loose fg, ffg or fffg black powder.

#58 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Kim,

BV

BV

Dry wad or wet wad?

#59 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

Kim,

BV

BV

Dry wad or wet wad?

You'd end up with a wet wad if you weren't paying attention when it went off.

#60 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

1326576103[/url]' post='3546432']

1326574996[/url]' post='3546415']

1326569689[/url]' post='3546338']

1326569419[/url]' post='3546330']

1326566831[/url]' post='3546289']
Kim,

BV

BV

Dry wad or wet wad?

Dry

#61 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

Kim, any chance that Sliver will be sailing this summer? We haven't set a date yet for this function. Love to see her and yourself out there.

#62 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Kim, any chance that Sliver will be sailing this summer? We haven't set a date yet for this function. Love to see her and yourself out there.

I would think that might be a stretch but it might happen. More likely late this year or early next. I am not pushing the School for completion as I asked them to instead concentrate on quality.

Hopefully when you see her you will be aboard and enjoying the lack of wake as we slip down the sound.....

Good thing she has a huge cockpit, I keep inviting people to join us sailing, fortunately I think the cockpit Bob drew can seat about a hundred (ok, maybe more like a dozen.)

#63 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

Pretty much as I expected. I would certainly do the same. I'd love to be aboard that day!

#64 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

Pretty much as I expected. I would certainly do the same. I'd love to be aboard that day!

Your invited.

#65 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:03 AM

You made my day! Count on me.

#66 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

You'd end up with a wet wad if you weren't paying attention when it went off.

He he, that happened to me in Hong Kong.! I was working on an outboard about 50 feet from the cannon when they fired the noon day gun!! Lost my fave snap-on ratchet handle that day, it flew about 50 yards.........Posted Image

#67 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

OK, I guess we should talk about a date. I was thinking June 16 but we want it to work for everyone so I remain flexible. How does that sound?

#68 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

Fine with me.

#69 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

OK, I guess we should talk about a date. I was thinking June 16 but we want it to work for everyone so I remain flexible. How does that sound?

I don't think there is much chance Sliver will be done by then but I can come up in the Glacier Bay and serve as a committee boat.

#70 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

I don't think there is much chance Sliver will be done by then but I can come up in the Glacier Bay and serve as a committee boat.

That sounds great Kim. Jose has already volunteered to do the same but maybe you can join forces or maybe he'd like to sail. In fact if he is sailing a Cal 20 I'm thinking we should have a reverse order start based on handicaps. That way we all finish close together, in theory at least. First across the line wins. No having to figure out results after. Sounds like we might have a variety of boats.It would be a gas to have the Sliver, a Cal 20, a Baba or two a Tiger and everything in between. Anyway I'm throwing that out there out see what everyone thinks. Let me know!
t

#71 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

You'll have able crew with Bloomers on hand!!

#72 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thanks Paps. : )

I would love to take part in this. Let me know if anyone needs any crew, or any help with delivering a boat, RC or organizing.
Bloomers

#73 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

I would love to take part in this. Let me know if anyone needs any crew, or any help with delivering a boat, RC or organizing.
Bloomers

Bloomers, you're included. We definitely need organization, and I might need crew.

#74 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

As of right now I can do the 16th. And Firefly will be in the water by then. (I know I've said that before, but this time I'm actually pretty close and my schedule is now flexing to accomodate the boat rather than the other way around.) So that's an Islander 28 on the line.

#75 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Bloomers

Bloomers, you're included. We definitely need organization, and I might need crew.

I will need Boom-boom on the committee boat. (Hey we are fighting over you Booms!)

#76 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

As of right now I can do the 16th. And Firefly will be in the water by then. (I know I've said that before, but this time I'm actually pretty close and my schedule is now flexing to accomodate the boat rather than the other way around.) So that's an Islander 28 on the line.

Terrific!

#77 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Thanks

Bloomers

I will need Boom-boom on the committee boat. (Hey we are fighting over you Booms!)

Kim, don't forget Jose is on that committee too. I'm sure you can pick him up along the way somewhere. Everet I think.

#78 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

Kim, don't forget Jose will be on that boat too. I'm sure you can pick him up along the way. Everett I think.

#79 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

Kim, don't forget Jose will be on that boat too. I'm sure you can pick him up along the way. Everett I think.

Jose is welcomed on any boat I have anytime, good guy he.

But that said, I still want Booms, she is so much cuter than Jose, at least from my perspective.

#80 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'm going to a skippers meeting tonight for my yacht club and will bring up the Spike Perry race to generate a little more interest. If anyone has any good ideas regarding promoting the race i.e., posters, fliers, sponsors etc. I'd like to hear 'em. Also be good to hear whose in for sure. Right now I'm thinking, myself, Matt, Jose, Kim, Hobot, Boomberries, Blackjenner. I'm sure I've forgotten a couple. Not counting on the Aussies just yet. Canadians, maybe.

#81 Veeger

Veeger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

I'd be in for a Sail By, but not so much for a race. However, I would be happy to serve as a committee boat for a race if we can get some firm commitments/date. Is June 16th firm?

#82 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

Wait a minute,,,does Veegs count as two?

#83 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

I'm going to a skippers meeting tonight for my yacht club and will bring up the Spike Perry race to generate a little more interest. If anyone has any good ideas regarding promoting the race i.e., posters, fliers, sponsors etc. I'd like to hear 'em. Also be good to hear whose in for sure. Right now I'm thinking, myself, Matt, Jose, Kim, Hobot, Boomberries, Blackjenner. I'm sure I've forgotten a couple. Not counting on the Aussies just yet. Canadians, maybe.

Starting to sound a bit "commercial" Thor?

#84 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

Paps:
Maybe we need a sponsor like Mount Gay Rum. Rum was Spike's drink.

#85 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,015 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

My whole racing life has been spent in Frontierland and following in that tradition I have to say that this cannot become too formal of a race as I had planned (should the need arise)on utilizing a certain "secret weapon" I learned from a John Candy movie.

:ph34r:

#86 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

Veegs, please come participate anyway that suits you. I think we have the committee boat pretty well covered, but you could hangout with them and then sail by Bob's and come by after the race. We all seem to agree on the 6-16 date so I guess I'd say its firm.
Paps, commercial? Just trying to keep the interest up. Okay, maybe I won't call Gates and Ellison.
Rum we can certainly get.

#87 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

My whole racing life has been spent in Frontierland and following in that tradition I have to say that this cannot become too formal of a race as I had planned (should the need arise)on utilizing a certain "secret weapon" I learned from a John Candy movie.

:ph34r:

It won't be formal. It's for fun. Bring on the secret weapon.

#88 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:44 AM

The 16'th sounds good to me. B)
Be nice to have some fellow Canucks along ... WHL? Ishmael? WHL is great on any boat that neeeds crew. Any word on the passport, Ish?

#89 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

There is a good chance I can make it too, will need to check some work issues. We are not racers, but will give it a go. Does racing mean I have to take the grill off the back? I am sure pulling the dink is OK.
Tom

#90 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

Paps:
Maybe we need a sponsor like Mount Gay Rum. Rum was Spike's drink.

Everything goes smoother with Mt Gay!!

#91 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

Be nice to have some fellow Canucks along ... WHL? Ishmael? WHL is great on any boat that neeeds crew. Any word on the passport, Ish?

It's sitting at the post office waiting for me. :ph34r:

Working a full-time job that allows no extra time off in summer makes committing 6 months ahead difficult, but if I can manage it at all, I will. Hell, getting the boat down to Victoria is a major challenge, we never go south. It will be a sailby to make it all work. By the sounds of it, it will be a committee boat made up of a floating raft of party-goers, with maybe one boat trying to circumnavigate them.

#92 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:42 AM

Nearly forgot, "Happy Australia Day" everyone!!

Lamb on the Barbie, Cricket on the tele, what could be better?

#93 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:56 AM

Nearly forgot, "Happy Australia Day" everyone!!

Lamb on the Barbie, Cricket on the tele, what could be better?

"Happy Australia Day" to you Paps!

#94 Amoretto

Amoretto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:09 AM

Response last night at YC was a bit lackadasical and weak IMHO. Then again, most probably do not read here.........I might be able to shuffle some folks around. Any chance womby would come up from OZ? altho I have not seen him post too much recently.....hope things are ok with him.

#95 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

Working a full-time job that allows no extra time off in summer makes committing 6 months ahead difficult, but if I can manage it at all, I will. Hell, getting the boat down to Victoria is a major challenge, we never go south. It will be a sailby to make it all work. By the sounds of it, it will be a committee boat made up of a floating raft of party-goers, with maybe one boat trying to circumnavigate them.

Now that sounds like a race I could win!

Of course, first I have to get the hull in the water and the mast out of Maryland...

#96 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

Just thought I'd pull this out again to keep the interest up. June 16th ! My last thought is maybe we should start and end the race right in front of Bob's. Personally I don't care about handicaps or times, just want to have a fun time. Thoughts?

#97 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hell, I just want to see some boats sail by and have a BBQ.

#98 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hell, I just want to see some boats sail by and have a BBQ.

No beer? Or is that redundant with "BBQ"?

#99 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Be nice to have some fellow Canucks along ... WHL? Ishmael? WHL is great on any boat that needs crew. Any word on the passport, Ish?

Thanks BB. I tentatively have the Sangster Island overnight race on the schedule from the 15th to 16th, but I would definitely prefer to come down to the beach shack in whatever capacity.... Bob, I could give you hand with testing the BBQ and libations if you like, plus some music? :D

#100 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,080 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hungster;
Can't you just get the RC to add another mark to the course?
Yes, I think that some testing would be in order and certainly I am always up for making music to the best of my abilities. Maybe we can get BJ to help us out. He has an amazing voice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users