291 replies to this topic

#101 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

Just thought I'd pull this out again to keep the interest up. June 16th ! My last thought is maybe we should start and end the race right in front of Bob's. Personally I don't care about handicaps or times, just want to have a fun time. Thoughts?

Well, in mid-June winds are likely to be light in the morning and building in the afternoon. So I see two major possibilities to consider - a short race inside Port Susan, starting and ending at Bob's beach in the afternoon, or a longer race to Bob's beach from somewhere else, starting in the morning.

For short races, we'd need temporary marks, but that's not all that difficult to arrange, and it would mean we could lay out the course in almost any length according to the weather - the only real limitation is going to be anchoring them in the deep water out there, but it can be done. We could even arrange a pretty short course that keeps the boats right out in front and visible from Bob's beach. More work for the race committee perhaps, but I think right now we have more RC volunteers than race participants. :)

A longer race would probably start in the mid-morning in Port Gardner with the finish line at Bob's mooring. That's about an 8 NM course as one long leg, more like 13 to 15 if we did a dogleg around Hat Island or the Camano Head mark first (based on my highly accurate ruler-against-the-laptop measurement) which even in mid-June should be achievable for any boat with a rating better than about 230 or so. Start the race at 10 and even Jose's Cal 20 could make it to the finish before the BBQ was ready to eat that evening. The problem there would be that boats would only be visible to Bob's beach at the end of the race and they'd come in well spread out.

Of course, we could also do a parade, instead of a race - all the boats meet up at a predefined point and just cruise around Bob's mooring for a while. I don't know how many boats we have or how much interest there is in racing; I'm good with either.

#102 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:07 AM

Just thought I'd pull this out again to keep the interest up. June 16th ! My last thought is maybe we should start and end the race right in front of Bob's. Personally I don't care about handicaps or times, just want to have a fun time. Thoughts?

Well, in mid-June winds are likely to be light in the morning and building in the afternoon. So I see two major possibilities to consider - a short race inside Port Susan, starting and ending at Bob's beach in the afternoon, or a longer race to Bob's beach from somewhere else, starting in the morning.

For short races, we'd need temporary marks, but that's not all that difficult to arrange, and it would mean we could lay out the course in almost any length according to the weather - the only real limitation is going to be anchoring them in the deep water out there, but it can be done. We could even arrange a pretty short course that keeps the boats right out in front and visible from Bob's beach. More work for the race committee perhaps, but I think right now we have more RC volunteers than race participants. :)

A longer race would probably start in the mid-morning in Port Gardner with the finish line at Bob's mooring. That's about an 8 NM course as one long leg, more like 13 to 15 if we did a dogleg around Hat Island or the Camano Head mark first (based on my highly accurate ruler-against-the-laptop measurement) which even in mid-June should be achievable for any boat with a rating better than about 230 or so. Start the race at 10 and even Jose's Cal 20 could make it to the finish before the BBQ was ready to eat that evening. The problem there would be that boats would only be visible to Bob's beach at the end of the race and they'd come in well spread out.
Hey, sorry I haven't been around the computer much lately. Those sound like good ideas Matt. Especially the short race idea tailored to the weather. I'm sure I can
bring along some race marks if need be. Looking forward to hearing Bob and BJ.
Of course, we could also do a parade, instead of a race - all the boats meet up at a predefined point and just cruise around Bob's mooring for a while. I don't know how many boats we have or how much interest there is in racing; I'm good with either.

#103 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Not sure how I fucked that up, but I did. Tagged my post on to the end of Matts.

#104 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Ok.. I just cleared my calendar for that weekend from June 15 to 17.
Looking forward to it.

#105 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Our beach is sprinkled with mooring buouys and we could pick a couple for marks. The water is quite deep. Most moorings are in around 50' of water. We could even use a mooring on the next beach north or a mooring on the western shore of Port Susan. I'll see Hung before then and we can look at the possibilities.

#106 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

So, grandpa, you're vote is for a race then?

#107 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thor:
No, I don't think so. I think a fleet sail by would be the most fun for all. But I'm up for whatever the group is up for. I see no reason some boats can't hold a race off the beach while those who don't want to race drink cold beer and eat hamburgers and steaks. By the time everyone gets up here they may have had enough sailing for the day and it could be more fun just to sit on the beach and gam. Besides, if the weather is nice there is likely to little or no wind here and I can do nothing about the swirling, gurgling tides. It's not really an idea place to sail. But you never know. There are some nice sailing days up here.

#108 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Sail by sounds good. I wanted Kim to have the opportunity to shoot his cannon though. Maybe we can meet up south of the cabin and Kim can start the sailby with a bang. Either way it sounds like a blast.FWIW, just wanted to call you grandpa.

#109 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thor:
That's Maestro Grandpa to you.

I have asked Max and Stacy to have Violet call me Grampy. I like it. It sounds comforting and that's what I intend to be for her.

Attached Files

#110 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

By the way she's looking at you she already knows you're the Maestro Grandpa. Or you just have that effect on the women. You tall guys, sheesh!

#111 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

1334176331[/url]' post='3668427']
Thor:
That's Maestro Grandpa to you.

I have asked Max and Stacy to have Violet call me Grampy. I like it. It sounds comforting and that's what I intend to be for her.

Looks like she already adores you.

#112 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Kim:
Oh yeah, she adores me. We took to each other right away. Jill is back there tonight. It's going to take dynomite to get Jill away from Violet and right now Stacy is very happy with the help. It's funny to watch 6'5" max Mr. Might is Right, deal with Violet. He has really changed since Spike died. I think he'll be changing more now. Mostly poopy diapers but he'll be changing.

"Can you say Maestro sweety?"

#113 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Beautiful baby.

#114 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Congrats Grampy!.....so, she's sitting on her lines proper? Bilge pump and systems working correctly then?

#115 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hobs:
The baby's systems are all fine. She is a bit hard on the fuel consumption right now as Mom's milk has not shown up yet. She is a hungry gal. They say three days for the Mom to produce milk so that means it should be right by today.

#116 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

It's *about* three days. No one will worry for a little while yet, and you shouldn't either; take care of Mom and the rest will follow.

If she's a new first-time Mom and in particular if she's getting lots of helpful advice from lots of sources (all conflicting of course), hook her up with La Leche League. They'll have good advice, great support, and they're generally good people.

(Signed, one of Washington state's only male certified childbirth instructors)

#117 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Matt:
I have become an expert myself, at worrying. When both of my sons were born they were Caesarian births with complications for Jill. The day after Max was born the nurse handed me the baby and said, "Take him home."
"Who? Me?" "Yes, you." So off I went with a two day old baby in my sea bag. But my pals all mucked in and Max survived. I even had him sleeping through the night. I think I may have been too exhausted to hear him crying at night. Anyway. It worked. When Spike was born Jill spent almost three weeks in the hospital so I had another chance to hone my lone parenting skills. I must say, I think I was damn good at it. When I showed up at church with a 2 year old and a week old baby you should have seen those Lutheran woman pounce on me. Soon I was getting meals delivered to the house and all the offers of help I would ever need. But it's not my place to tell Max and Stacy how to raise Violet. They are pretty convinced they have all the right information. It's hard for me to see them so concerned when I know how durable babies are but I guess I would want them concerned rather than not.

Before I could hold the baby they insisted I wash my hands. Fine. I can understand that. So I went to the sink and grabbed a bottle of 409 antibacterial spray and sprayed my hands down. Then Max said that I should not have done that because the baby needs to be exposed to certain bacteria. What's a Grampy to do. Your hands are dirty one minute and the next they are too clean. I told Max I could pick my nose if that would help. Not funny.

I'll pass the La Leche League info along.

#118 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

It's a fairly typical progression that all too many small families never manage to complete - but I've seen pieces of it over, and over, and over again (and despite knowing it ahead of time did something similar with our two.)

First kid drops their (pacifier / teething ring / toy ) on the floor. Mom grabs it, thoroughly washes it in hot water to sterilize it, dries it, hands it back to the child.

Few years later, second kid does the same thing. Mom grabs it, rinses it in cold water, hands it back to the child.

Few years later, third kid does the same thing. Mom grabs it, wipes it on her shirt, hands it back to the child.

All three kids will be perfectly fine.

#119 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Matt:
Good news! The milk truck has arrived and the baby is content resting in Max's strong arms as I type.
Maybe I'm obsessing a bit. But is sure beats the other obsessing I have done for the past year.
I think I'll drive down Saturday just to see if they need any help. Max will probably ask me to mow the lawn.
"No. I'll hold the baby while you mow the lawn."
Maybe I'll take her shopping for a baseball mitt.

When we came over from Australia my parents were broke so my first mitt was a very cheap one made in Japan. My friends had Wilson and Rawlings mitts. I was a bit embarrassed of mine. Not that I could play. So when I took Max for his first mitt I picked out a nice Wilson. "But I like this one Dad." As he held an "inferior" import.
"Damn it Max. You're going to have this Wilson. I couldn't have one so you will have one like it or not."
We did the same thing with bikes. But by then I had told him that I wanted him to have the things I couldn't have.
" Hey! Look at this nice Schwinn."
" But I like this one Dad."

I think I will buy her one of those blue Japanese mitts.

#120 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Buy her a toy pony. Then tell her Daddy will have to follow through with the real one later.

My father in law thought that was funnier than hell. Bastard.

#121 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, kids are resilient. My son was about a year old when we went to visit some friends who had a sandbox. Our children played there until we left. As we were leaving our friend's child (a year or two older said "He eat sand". We figured our son had just stuck a little sand in his mouth, until we changed his next diaper. It was like stiff concrete with a lot of sand in it! But It all worked out in the end as they say. It figures he went on to become a professional chef.

#122 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

It's a fairly typical progression that all too many small families never manage to complete - but I've seen pieces of it over, and over, and over again (and despite knowing it ahead of time did something similar with our two.)

First kid drops their (pacifier / teething ring / toy ) on the floor. Mom grabs it, thoroughly washes it in hot water to sterilize it, dries it, hands it back to the child.

Few years later, second kid does the same thing. Mom grabs it, rinses it in cold water, hands it back to the child.

Few years later, third kid does the same thing. Mom grabs it, wipes it on her shirt, hands it back to the child.

You left out:

"Fourth kid. Mom picks it up and holds it down for the dog to lick clean and gives it back to the kid." They are very durable.

I have one from my first marriage and 2 more 12 and 14 years later. It was an interesting dynamic as I already "knew" about the durability and SWMBO was worried about everything under the sun. Of course, she also believed the "Nurture not nature" approach to how boys and girls behave - until our last showed up as a 10.5# boy ready to kick down every door.

#123 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

You left out:

"Fourth kid. Mom picks it up and holds it down for the dog to lick clean and gives it back to the kid." They are very durable.

I have one from my first marriage and 2 more 12 and 14 years later. It was an interesting dynamic as I already "knew" about the durability and SWMBO was worried about everything under the sun. Of course, she also believed the "Nurture not nature" approach to how boys and girls behave - until our last showed up as a 10.5# boy ready to kick down every door.

Yeah, those people are cute. I just kinda wanna squeeze their cheeks and sweetly say "who taught you to be cranky about that?"

I am 10 and 13 years older than my brothers. It does indeed make an interesting dynamic; my middle brother remembers me drop-kicking him out of my room when he was 3 or 4 years old. And one of the very first times I really, seriously had that "I'm getting old" thought was when my little brother - who entered Kindergarten the year I left for college - deployed to Kuwait with his National Guard unit.

#124 Balder

Balder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, and currently trying to configure my career to sail more, may be able to pull it off.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Time flies, soon your little one will be this big, Grampy

--- Ava is almost 3yrs, but it seems like just yesterday she was 3 days. She calls me Papa, which is what I called my grandfather, the one who introduced me to the water. I plan on introducing her too!

Attached Files

#125 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hope no one minds... Bob, my old friend Jeff is the owner of the boat you and I raced on and has asked to join in on the memorial sail. He'll be sailing in his new boat, a 33' (?) Newport, and flying a Spike burgee. He's not a CA/SA member as far as I know but enjoyed his day of racing with you and wanted to help celebrate Spike with us.

#126 Beer Fueled Mayhem

Beer Fueled Mayhem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Attached File  2012-04-15_13-12-05_206.jpg   146.17K   18 downloads

Here is my age spread. 2, 14, and the 7yo off to the right. 14 year old tries to parent the two little ones. Taking new boat home from Point Roberts to Shileshole. Rule is, they get to have "screen time" if the motor is on. Point Roberts. What a weird little place. Part of the state of Washington and the gas is sold in liters.
I won't be able to make the Spike Sailby Party unfortunately. Yacht club has a big Father's Day thing all weekend that weekend. Have fun. Hopefully Bob can take comfort in having a bunch of his friends being around him.

#127 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

1335020359[/url]' post='3682236']

Here is my age spread. 2, 14, and the 7yo off to the right. 14 year old tries to parent the two little ones. Taking new boat home from Point Roberts to Shileshole. Rule is, they get to have "screen time" if the motor is on. Point Roberts. What a weird little place. Part of the state of Washington and the gas is sold in liters.
I won't be able to make the Spike Sailby Party unfortunately. Yacht club has a big Father's Day thing all weekend that weekend. Have fun. Hopefully Bob can take comfort in having a bunch of his friends being around him.

I really can't figure out why we don't just give Point Roberts to the Canadians, except then they would not be able to come across the border and buy cheap gasoline and booze on Sundays.......

#128 Beer Fueled Mayhem

Beer Fueled Mayhem

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

1335020359[/url]' post='3682236']

I really can't figure out why we don't just give Point Roberts to the Canadians, except then they would not be able to come across the border and buy cheap gasoline and booze on Sundays.......

The border crossing there is brand new and must have cost a lot. Comical really. I wonder what the real deal is with us keeping that land.

#129 Beau.Vrolyk

Beau.Vrolyk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Sailing on any and everything that floats. Skiing when the rainfall turns semi-solid and white.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

I think most of the motivation for grasping at land and retaining it around the world is based on the desire to control the water close by. Fish, minerals, a place offshore for windmills, it is certainly and the basis of France's desire to retain Polynesia and Argentina's desire to grab the Falkland Islands.

BV

#130 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Offshore, Star, Farr 30, R Boat racing, and gunkholing in classic daysailers

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

The border crossing there is brand new and must have cost a lot. Comical really. I wonder what the real deal is with us keeping that land.

The funniest thing about Point Roberts is the attitude of the US border guards. They are more miserable and downright rude than any other with the exception of Vancouver Airport. Despite having a Nexus pass, they quiz you like they are protecting evil doers from infiltrating the entire USA via this useless appendix. It's populate by a lot of Canucks that have boats there but you get this ridiculous interrogation. I guess it's an inferiority complex compared to other crossings where they are REALLY protecting a border from Canucks that have no actual desire to move south and whose only motivation is to buy goods at a discounted US$ LOL.

#131 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

Damn right! I always thought that was screwed up that we have that absurd little appendage of land. Let's just give it over to Canada. Seems more of a liability than an asset.

#132 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

I thought I would bump this to see if it is still a go. My plan would be to motor north from Seattle to Everett friday night and stay at the marina, then meet up sat am wherever the sail starts. I still am not sure about a safe anchorage in Port Susan, so heading back to Everett or Ludlow or ? Would be an option for Sat night. Any other ideas?

#133 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Here's what I have noted down -

1. I'm headed to Everett for Friday night. This obviously will vary for people - I think the two obvious choices are Langley and Everett, unless you have access to Hat Island for the night.

2. The plan is a casually organized (or not) sail past the WYLDO home office with burgees flying. My intention is to continue sailing around the area until that stops being fun - greeting other boats as they arrive, etc. I expect to have a reasonably full crew and they're all rusty, so I'm likely to use the time for some practice. I sort of assumed we'd pick a quiet VHF channel and keep the party going between boats and shore that way. Hell, if someone has the right cables, we could include anyone on the forum who wants to join in with a webcam and VHF hookup to skype or something. That'd be fun.

3. Bob had offered up his beach for a BBQ, and assuming sanity hasn't set in that's still the plan. I think the only reasonable thing to do is everyone bring what you want for the party and a little extra to share around - that should guarantee, no matter who shows up, that we have enough and a nice variety.

4. Bob's to Langley is a couple of hours at sailboat speeds, so I think the best option is to either take his offer of local knowledge to use the anchorage just north of his beach (my plan) or north to the park mooring buoys at Kayak Point. I've never used those buoys but they look well maintained and I've seen fairly sizable boats hanging from them.

Do we need anything else?

#134 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Matt et al:
I will provide the BBQ but lets do it South African style where everyone brings their own meat or simulated meat substitute. That way I don't have to guess how many are showing up. I'll do a massive potato salad, one of my specialties. I'll have beer. Anchoring in the cove is pretty good. Boats frequently anchor there. It's about a block from the house.

#135 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

I bet they don't bring meat substitute to a South African barbecue... but otherwise, sounds great to me.

Potato salad... tell me, Bob, do you make a West Coast (*cough* flavorless *cough*) potato salad, or a real potato salad?

#136 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

OK Potluck at Bob's Saturday afternoon June 16

SWMBO and I will blast up in the Glacier Bay to arrive early afternoon and we will anchor (actually we will take Bob's mooring) right at Bob's house so you will know which house to sail past.

What's a quiet VHF channel?

Attached Files

#137 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

I bet they don't bring meat substitute to a South African barbecue... but otherwise, sounds great to me.

Potato salad... tell me, Bob, do you make a West Coast (*cough* flavorless *cough*) potato salad, or a real potato salad?

You mean some of that nice salmonella flavour? Yum.

#138 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

Sounds good, I looked at tides so it might be Ok for us to come up Sat AM early on the ebb and spend sat night near Bobs or Everett, Langley looks ok but they have a peak season 2 night min. I am still not sure we can make it from a work and boat logistics standpoint, but will try as it would be great to meet some of the CA gang for the first time.

#139 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Unfortunately Surf City and I will be racing on the 16th. The sail-by would have been fun. Maybe next year if this becomes an annual event.

#140 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

What's a quiet VHF channel?

78A.

It's a ship-to-shore pleasure only working channel that older manuals don't list or mention. Lots of people don't realize it's available, so they don't use it.

Bellingham Yacht Club's Channel List

#141 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Matt:
I make a Port Susan potato salad and it is perfect but I can't tell you my secrets. I'm not going to buy it at the QFC. I am the master of the perfectly boiled egg (no grey halo). But I put them on top so people who don't like boiled eggs can avoid them.

I just snagged another mooring buoy. I'm sure I can snag at least a couple more. But it has to be on a "total responsability for boat and mooring" arrangement. It seems obvious but believe it or not I have had problems twice when I let people use my mooring. I'll start getting the word out to my neighbors. They are nice people, all except one ass hole, and I'm sure if they don't have their own boats on the cans we can use them. We will just have to play it by ear.

Jose:
No soup for you! Two years!

#142 Jose Carumba

Jose Carumba

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Noooooooo!

#143 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think we should have a poor weather plan.

I officially suggest that said plan be "bring foul weather gear, ya nancy".

I once grilled venison steak in a blizzard, I think we can manage the June Gloom if we have to.

#144 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Very timely bump. Bob and Matt's plans sound perfect to me. Except I don't know if we ought to let Maestro buy all the beer. I intended to bring meat and other various food to share but I do love a good potato salad so I'll leave that to him. I'm planning on leaving Kingston early and motoring if needed to arrive mid aft. Probably do a little sailing around just to check out Matt's boat if nothing else! I intend to anchor in the cove and return Sunday. Sounds like more people are showing than I thought. That's a good thing.

#145 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

We are so going to try and make this. Brigadoon is going be on the hard in CSR, Monday the 11th, getting new bottom paint, a cutlass bearing, and some shiny new electronics. She *should* splash on Friday. We'll see what happens.

#146 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

BJ, It is a bit of a cop-out, but if the boat is still on the hard, just drive. 4-5 hours by boat (more from lake union), 1 hour by car, and you do not have to deal with the surly guys at the locks.

#147 WHL

WHL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

I will be bringing a couple of spare burgees for anyone that hasn't got theirs or needs to buy one.

#148 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

BJ, It is a bit of a cop-out, but if the boat is still on the hard, just drive. 4-5 hours by boat (more from lake union), 1 hour by car, and you do not have to deal with the surly guys at the locks.

Oh, we are going to try to make it all right. I just don't know if Brigadoon will sail by.

We are so going to try and make this on the boat if we can. Brigadoon is going be on the hard in CSR, Monday the 11th, getting new bottom paint, a cutlass bearing, and some shiny new electronics. She *should* splash on Friday. We'll see what happens.

Fixed.

#149 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

BJ:
Drive up if you can't sail up. Motoring up is fine too.

#150 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

I will be bringing some chilled, marinated veggies to share with all. As well, I will be building a sailor cake for dessert, for anyone who wants a slice. Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

#151 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

BJ:
Drive up if you can't sail up. Motoring up is fine too.

Thanks, Bob. We will do our very best to be there, either way.

#152 Courtney K

Courtney K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Depending upon which way the wind is blowing, I'd love to sail up for this. My boat is an Islander 30, not a Perry design. If the wind doesn't agree with me, I'm so hitching a ride with kimb, if there's still room left on the boat.

#153 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Courtney:
I don't care who designed your boat and I have spent countless hours racing an Islander 30 so I like the boat.

#154 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Depending upon which way the wind is blowing, I'd love to sail up for this. My boat is an Islander 30, not a Perry design. If the wind doesn't agree with me, I'm so hitching a ride with kimb, if there's still room left on the boat.

SWMBO and I will make room for you if you need a ride Courtney, but sailing Libby up yourself would be the classy way to go if the weather cooperates. (If not we promise to treat you well on the commuter cat.)

#155 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Note to fleet.... please make sure your engine runs well.

Just moved the boat back to Everett from Edmonds w/o a running A-4.

14 hour hate mission. Don't think I need to see Norma Beach/Sachet Head for awhile.

I think I entertained the bored (3:00 am) security team at the Naval Station with a near round up as of course the wind piped up pretty good at the end (was way tired).

#156 Courtney K

Courtney K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Courtney:
I don't care who designed your boat and I have spent countless hours racing an Islander 30 so I like the boat.

I love my boat, too. Islander 30s are wicked fast, aren't they?

#157 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

Courtney ~ it's very refreshing to have someone new, fit in so easily here. Especially another woman who is a keen and experienced sailor! B)
I look forward to meeting you at the sail-by.
Booms

#158 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Jill and I will be there is spirit....

#159 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

Has Courtney been properly welcomed ? Bloomers, maybe you should take this one!

#160 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

Paps: it sure would be nice if you were here. I'd like that.

#161 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:08 AM

Hey, if Paps were to show up, I'd be seriously motivated to attend. Fuck the "job motivated" thing, nudge nudge wink wink.

#162 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Has Courtney been properly welcomed ? Bloomers, maybe you should take this one!

Hi ya Paps. : ) Someone has already done the deed of the traditional welcome, me thinks on the Novice blog thread. I have extended a welcome a few posts up (dare I insert rtft here? :P). Added on fb too. : )

Ish.... pfffft!! It take Paps attending to make you show up?

#163 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Me too Bruce, I will be there, you just wont see me.

#164 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hey, if Paps were to show up, I'd be seriously motivated to attend. Fuck the "job motivated" thing, nudge nudge wink wink.

One day Ish, one day.

#165 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

I really would like to get a head count total on who plans to be here for the sail in and how ,many people are coming on each boat.

Thorvald, I'm putting you in charge of that.

#166 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:sailing, building small boats...

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Wait, you mean its THIS weekend?.... Posted Image

I really would like to get a head count total on who plans to be here for the sail in and how ,many people are coming on each boat.

#167 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

FYI, if any of you, like me, need to transit the locks to get to the Perry Sail by.

http://blogs.seattle...kes-small-lock/

#168 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Firefly should be there with no trouble as long as the rigger does his part - that's the last remaining critical item, other than the oil change. And the impeller. And the... okay, it's not the last, but I'm honestly not worried.

Crew of 6 - myself, my wife, two adult crew, a five year old girl and a four year old boy.

#169 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Anomster:
You were a week early but the dogs didn't care and I think we had a good time.
Thanks for the salmon.

#170 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

Righto, Maestro! I was thinking it was time for a roll call.

So who's going? Respond here or pm me or both, whatever you like. My self and the Admiral for sure, and those who have already responded. I guess that's eight bodies for starters. I'm pretty sure of a few others but I should let them speak up.

#171 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks Thorvald.

#172 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Anomster:
Thanks for the salmon.

Thorvald, take note. Maestro has a "package" for all of you.

#173 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Anomster:
Thanks for the salmon.

Huh?..., OK

#174 Anomaly2

Anomaly2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Huh?..., OK

Sigh. Work with me here Thorvald... Like any good mule, I employed a discrete (obscure?) vocabulary.... If I have to spell it out for you, see below. [Apologies in advance to Sons for the large photo (that program of yours don't run on Macs and I'm just a simple mule here...)]
Enjoy.

Posted Image

#175 Veeger

Veeger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

So who's going? Respond here or pm me or both, whatever you like. My self and the Admiral for sure, and those who have already responded. I guess that's eight bodies for starters. I'm pretty sure of a few others but I should let them speak up.

I had really hoped to make it but as it's essentially an overnight trip each way, I'm too backed up with w,w,w,worrrkk on Friday and Monday. (I used to be retired and then it never mattered when or what day things happened, but now.....for a few months it's different, no trip North this year either :-(

#176 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

SWMBO and Me unless Courtney decides to join us......

#177 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'll be there in spirit and thought but the XC trip wasn't in the cards.

Fair sailing all and my thoghts are with you, Bob.

IB

#178 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

IB:
Thanks for that.

Today I looked at a photo of Spike and I smiled.

#179 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

IB:
Thanks for that.

I'm glad to read that. Spike would want you to smile.

#180 tekton

tekton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

I smiled.

That beats the fuck out of a lot of other options, mate.

You're a proud Dad of a younger Man who makes you smile. Take pleasure in that, and remind yourself that you did really, really well raising a Quality human.

The rest doesn't really matter.

#181 Courtney K

Courtney K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

SWMBO and Me unless Courtney decides to join us......

I'm going, hoping to make it up in Libby, but if for some reason I can't make it, I'm heading up with Kim. I'll be there, I'm so excited!

#182 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Good on ya Courtney.
See you Saturday.

Look for the SAILING ANARCHY banner.

#183 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:55 AM

Wish I could be there, but unless we pull an overnighter from Sidney, it's not going to happen. Raise a tot for me.

#184 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Good on ya Courtney.
See you Saturday.

Look for the SAILING ANARCHY banner.

Or simply look for the blue hulled Glacier Bay Catamaran hanging on Bob's mooring.

Attached Files

#185 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

IB:
Thanks for that.

I'm glad to read that. Spike would want you to smile.

+1

#186 sculpin

sculpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Beer, and power tools.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Agreed, Spike would not want you to be unhappy, from what I've heard about him. Honor his memory.

Well, I'd love to be there for the sail by! No fricking way would that work though. So it goes. Today I went out with the little Sculpin and we had a nice sail with our Spike burgee up. Got to see the Clipper 'round the world boats, they are in for a stopover for a couple of days.

#187 viktor

viktor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

Bob,My wife and I would like to attend the sail by. We met Booms,Wun and Kim up at PT during the WB. Looking forward to meeting you and other folks from CA.If you could PM me your address I could find a map. We'll bring something to cook and beer.
When would be a good time to show up, noon, one? Thanks,looking forward to it!

#188 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Vik:
Show up whenever you like.
We should have a very interesting group including one Australian member of the WLYDO, trickypig.
Just keep it in mind that my wife is still very fragile when the subject of Spike comes up. He is 2 seconds away from our every thought.

#189 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

Vik:
Show up whenever you like.
We should have a very interesting group including one Australian member of the WLYDO, trickypig.
Just keep it in mind that my wife is still very fragile when the subject of Spike comes up. He is 2 seconds away from our every thought.

Ouch! I worried about that alot before I ever proposed the whole idea. Waffled for days actually. Well, make the count 20 counting trickypig, Bob.

#190 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Probably don't even need to say it but just for those who are tagging along or deciding to come at the last minute remember it's a South African style barbeque so bring your own bush meat, burger, fish or whatever and beverage of choice, and something to share would be nice. Having said that we'll probably be awash in beer and wine and have piles of meat left over, but there's alot worse things. Looking forward to meeting all you CA ers!

#191 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Have fun all! Hope you have a pleasant visit, blue skies, nice temps and pleasant breezes.

We'll have a bit of Scotch and toast Spike here in Ohio.

Cheers Joli

#192 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

Motoring past the northern end of Camano Island now; way behind schedule, but we'll get there. :)

#193 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:07 AM

Motoring past the northern end of Camano Island now; way behind schedule, but we'll get there. :)

Hope you brought lots of rain gear, bro. It's going to be a little damp out there. Good onya.

#194 Thorvald

Thorvald

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

I think you're ahead of schedule Matt. Fair sailing!

#195 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

We are going to take a look in the AM. If the forcast stays at rain and wind to 20 kts north of Seattle we might chicken out, but still hoping to make it.

#196 PNW Matt B

PNW Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:01 AM

We did indeed bring foul weather gear. We sailors, or are we chicken?! (That said, if the weather's *reaally* nasty, we could leave the boat in Everett and drive to the WLYDO home office. At that point, we'll be prudent sailors. If we sail and others stay home, though, they're chicken. ;) )

#197 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Have fun all, will be there in spirit!

#198 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Through the concatenations of tide, engine, er, stuff, and some bungled pilfering, we are, after a week + of trying finally in the brine , and recovering in the rain up here in Bellingham. But we need to get to our island slip today and back home tommorrow, although we're going to stop by Bob and Jill's on Sunday for a hello, so our regrets for today all.

If you're wondering about the detail in this post, chalk it up to Spike's expectation that irony is best served simmered in complexity.

Glad to hear your smiling Bob. Spike would approve. Give you the high sign. You know.

Rain tans, everyone!

Edit- and we are wearing our Snoqualmie Sombreros today, which Spike turned us onto. Aussie style, left snap.

P & L

#199 Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Interests:Learning to adjust to retirement...so far, so good.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Have fun all...we are a quirky little family, but we are a family!!

#200 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sorry to say we chickened out on the trip north. When I got up at 5 AM it was cold, wet, and the thought of motoring 6 hours in the sloppy weather was too much for my wimpy constitution (hard to believe I was born here). We do not have any way to operate the boat under cover, the tiller pilot is 30yrs old and not waterproof. I had a flash back of last years boat trip that ended like this,
Attached File  DSCN0441.jpg   55.43K   14 downloads
take by my wife as she huddled in the cabin. I have since purchased a much better foul weather jacket for 1/2 off at the boat show, but the yellow pants are here to stay. I hope you all have agreat time and perhaps we will have another chance to meet this summer. Please raise a toast to Spike for me,

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users