19 replies to this topic

#1 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:08 AM

Interesting discussion on another thread about Chicago-Mac stability index requirements: http://forums.sailin...pic=130894&st=0
Just noted that our beloved FT has higher SI than a 40.7!!

Clew

#2 lar015

lar015

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Does a stability index of 126.7 mean that the Tiger can or should be retrofitted to do longer distance racing?

#3 Jedrek

Jedrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:racing

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:41 AM

Does a stability index of 126.7 mean that the Tiger can or should be retrofitted to do longer distance racing?

Yes!............................If weather be calmPosted Image

#4 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

Interesting discussion on another thread about Chicago-Mac stability index requirements: http://forums.sailin...pic=130894&st=0
Just noted that our beloved FT has higher SI than a 40.7!!

Clew

Yes, if you put a rig made of match sticks on the FT the stability index would increase but that does not mean the boat is safer...

#5 Clewless

Clewless

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:44 AM

I don't know.....if I read that list as it is published, it is saying that an FT in stock configuration is safer than a 40.7 in terms of stability.
Maybe we need Bob to jump in with his wisdom here.

C

#6 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

I don't know.....if I read that list as it is published, it is saying that an FT in stock configuration is safer than a 40.7 in terms of stability.
Maybe we need Bob to jump in with his wisdom here.

C

As I understand it the stability rating is measured independent of the sailplan

the high aspect ratio of the sails on a tiger contribute to tippiness

as for safer hmmm... well not quite sure its a measure of safety, just as to how quick the boat will return from a knockdown - without sails being a factor
Or in other words the RM torque for a given angle of heel >45<90.
and having some experience with the handling of both the 40.7 and the ft10 the figures don't lie! The tiger will flick up faster if the sail factor is removed
Tigers are a actually a stiff boat in the true sense of the word but... (and admittedly its a biggie) they are very easily over powered. This is why people refer to them as tender
Anyone who's put a reef in on the tiger will know of the vast improvement in handling and overall stability when its blowing.

#7 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

Tigers are a actually a stiff boat in the true sense of the word but... (and admittedly its a biggie) they are very easily over powered. This is why people refer to them as tender

what does that even mean? makes no sense

Anyone who's put a reef in on the tiger will know of the vast improvement in handling and overall stability when its blowing.

aaaaaand how much slower they become compared to other similar weight boats that hold their sail plan better. (stiffer in the true sense of the word)

#8 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

hi tiger

Posted Image

bye tiger

Posted Image

:)

#9 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

what does that even mean? makes no sense

aaaaaand how much slower they become compared to other similar weight boats that hold their sail plan better. (stiffer in the true sense of the word)

1st question
stiffness//tenderness of a vessel (gumnuts to warships here) is about COG vs COB with beam as a factor
essentially its rm torque - this is where the terms comes from
so a log with a bump on it is tender and a blackfish fishing float is stiff
the proportional difference between a tigers COG and COB is greater than the 40.7 (my initial point) and many other boats
that is why it is stiff - this is the measure
the real world shows the tiger falls over more than other boats but this is not because of "tenderness" or "stiffness"
it's just cause the rig is high, the boom is long and there a big fucken roach up there. Its nothing to do with the hull/keel relatoinship (tenderness/stiffness)

2nd statement;
look up the SASC results mate
we do get beaten by lighter craft but we certainly don't get beaten by heavier - ever

#10 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

hi tiger

Posted Image

bye tiger

Posted Image

weren't we ahead of you when this was taken?

#11 port tack

port tack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

hi tiger

Posted Image

bye tiger

Posted Image

What kind of boat were you on? Looks like he should have had a kite up and shaken the reef out. Hiking helps as well.

#12 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

hi tiger

Posted Image

bye tiger

Posted Image

weren't we ahead of you when this was taken?

love yer werk.....firstly that was taken after starting 3 mins late as there were issues with main track.....secondly you weren't even on the same leg at the finish. Too busy with stability checks. the phrase HJ came into play :)

#13 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

What kind of boat were you on? Looks like he should have had a kite up and shaken the reef out. Hiking helps as well.

Y840....a shorter, stiffer, much older boat with all it's rag up.....tough leg to have a kite on (no one flew)....big variations in direction with wind speed going from 20 to 30kts and a lee shore.

#14 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

2nd statement;
we do get beaten by lighter craft but we certainly don't get beaten by heavier - ever

can't get beaten when it's too windy for your own stability eh. lucky the scorer doesn't see it that way......this is only one result. how would it look if we'd actually started on time?? ...don't embarrass yourself by having me dredge up the light air ones. (who can forget you calling us above close hauled in the Audi) yer full of it kid...weren't in the mix at all that year. ever :)

Posted Image

#15 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:30 AM

2nd statement;

can't get beaten when it's too windy for your own stability eh. lucky the scorer doesn't see it that way......this is only one result. how would it look if we'd actually started on time?? ...don't embarrass yourself by having me dredge up the light air ones. (who can forget you calling us above close hauled in the Audi) yer full of it kid...weren't in the mix at all that year. ever :)

Posted Image

i admire your attention to detail however, I sail on Tigger dummy

perhaps having a little peek at results from the last couple of years might be somewhat more enlightening

#16 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

2nd statement;

Posted Image

perhaps having a little peek at results from the last couple of years might be somewhat more enlightening

yes...you were obviously too skeered to come out that day. it was windy. you weren't the only one....dummy!

it wasn't me that thought they were in front when those pics were taken...you weren't even there....dummy!

I have watched...I have also sailed with you once (it will only be once as i don't like unpleasant surprises)....I do not appreciate some of the things you believed afterwards that you decided in your wisdom to espouse to other people. Want to check what happened after that?....dummy!!

You don't move automatically and need to be told by old fat arsed bastard average hacks when to.....dummy!

I don't think much of you as a sailor...more a giant haired blowhard who doesn't know what a tippy boat is while he stands rock solid in the middle of it. dummy!

a bloke who likes the sound of his own voice and making sure he is seen "because those guys hate me". (wtf???) more than learning how to sail...dummy!

are we clear? dummy!!

now get back to blowing hard about stability. something you clearly don't understand...dummy!!

#17 akasideshow

akasideshow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

2nd statement;

Posted Image

yes...you were obviously too skeered to come out that day. it was windy. you weren't the only one....dummy!

it wasn't me that thought they were in front when those pics were taken...you weren't even there....dummy!

I have watched...I have also sailed with you once (it will only be once as i don't like unpleasant surprises)....I do not appreciate some of the things you believed afterwards that you decided in your wisdom to espouse to other people. Want to check what happened after that?....dummy!!

You don't move automatically and need to be told by old fat arsed bastard average hacks when to.....dummy!

I don't think much of you as a sailor...more a giant haired blowhard who doesn't know what a tippy boat is while he stands rock solid in the middle of it. dummy!

a bloke who likes the sound of his own voice and making sure he is seen "because those guys hate me". (wtf???) more than learning how to sail...dummy!

are we clear? dummy!!

now get back to blowing hard about stability. something you clearly don't understand...dummy!!

methinks you need to get back on your meds mate or perhaps a sailing boat
I won't be further drawn into defending myself against your imagination
I'm happy to let my results speak for themselves
if you think you're so much better come out and race against me I'm sure there is no shortage of boats that would love to have such a sailing god on board

#18 Evo

Evo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

if you think you're so much better come out and race against me I'm sure there is no shortage of boats that would love to have such a sailing god on board

it's not imagination Leon....you on the other hand are fully in love with yourself...delusional even

you have no results....see ya very soon kid :)

back to stability

#19 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,116 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

What an angry little man.

#20 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

it's not imagination Leon....you on the other hand are fully in love with yourself...delusional even

you have no results....see ya very soon kid :)

back to stability

no outing and bring it down a notch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users