53 replies to this topic

#1 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm preparing to build a 18' folding trimaran. I bought a set of plans, but I've been really interested in the i550 and how quick and simple it is to build (relatively of course) - I doubt many builders would actually say "wow that was quick and simple". Anyway, the plans for the boat I have involve building a male set of forms to build over, then removing the bottom of the hull from the forms, then installing bulk heads and a complex interior. I want a daysailer and I don't care about maximizing interior. I'm not going to put a porta potty in it or anything else. I just want somewhere to keep my extra clothes and a few sail bags. Stuff like that.

My question is whether you think the ability to build directly on the bulkheads significantly decreased the time you spent building the hull. I have a really difficult time understanding why the designer of the plan set I have uses one set of male forms that are basically the same thing, then removes them and installs different bulkheads. Would you recommend re-drawing the design so it goes together basically just like the i550? Not having built one I don't know, but it sure seems like the best way to build.

What would you change if you were to build another one to make it easier/faster?

Thanks,

Jetboy

#2 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, b/c I just zip-tied my boat hull panels, bottom & frame together. Didn't build a jig, did nothing, really, to insure everything lined up OK, other than using a level religiously. I trusted in the fact that Watershed did an accurate job in preparing all the pieces and damned if they didn't! So my boat went together very, very easily. After everything was tied in, I cut some cheapo framing lumber to act as stands (or cradles, if you will).

What you are describing sounds interesting enough, IF the hull integrity is sufficient to guarantee you can do all you mentioned to it (I gather you'll have to flip the hull?), then I would imagine when you tie in all the bulkheads the hull will truss up into near perfect confirmation....just use a level and whatever else is nec. to make sure it isn't twisted.

Other opinions may vary...best of luck with the project! Sounds cool.

#3 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

I looked through your boat build Tim. It's a bit different from what I think I had seen previously on how they were done. Looks good! You're really making good progress.

The boat I'm building is a Scarab 18, or some modification thereof.
Posted Image

The original design has separated bulkheads so you end up building about a dozen of various shapes and sizes rather than building more like 5 or 6 that are complete. It looks both very time consumer and much more complex and $$$. It's essentially the same size boat as the i550, and I really think I can take a lot of ideas from the i550 design to simplify.

My plan is to build the boat with 5 total bulkheads plus the stern. I'm going to make double bulkheads about 4" apart at the front and rear where the outrigger beams mount to add strength where it needs it most then put it together like the i550 without having to build a whole separate set of male forms and all that goes with it. It's just too complicated for me. I'd rather simplify and expedite it.

I was really on the fence between an i550 or the trimaran. There were a lot of tradeoffs between having to build a keel bulb or buy one, and building the additional trimaran parts. I would really like to get together with a i550 when I'm done and see how they compare in terms of sailing performance. I suspect with such similar sail plans they will be very competitive even though they are so much different in design philosophy.

#4 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Also the plans for the Scarab leave a lot to the builder. They are probably sufficient for a professional builder, but they give a lot less guidance to a home builder than I thought I might find. I'd probably have to draft a lot of my own drawings anyway, so I might as well build it like I want.

#5 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

This is how I thought the i550s were constructed: Posted Image

#6 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

That's a very cool design and I, too, would be on the fence about which project. Might depend on how much free time you have, as I think it's safe to say the tri is a much more ambitious project. But might be worth it in the long run, though, especially if you have additional hands to help with the build. Tough call!

Is there an established community of builders you can get advice from? That's one of the bonuses of the i550...looks like the majority of Scarab builders is in Queensland?

#7 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

I'm fortunate enough to have parents who own a custom metal fab shop, so I think I can design my own outrigger arms and build them in aluminum instead of fiberglass for very little cost. That also makes the custom trailer part very inexpensive. I think that is the big difference in construction between the two. The outer hulls are really simple and shouldn't take a whole lot to build.

The center hull is what concerns me a little, but it really should only involve a bit more cutting and taping time because it's pretty much the same thing as the i550, only with a few more chines.

Maybe I'm kidding myself about it. I'm hoping to be able to put it in the water in 500 hrs.

#8 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Jetboy, you can definately build a ply boat over the final frames and bulkheads. Assuming the boat is glass over ply. Pre-glass the inside skin of the ply before you introduce it up to the frames.

#9 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Jetboy, you can definately build a ply boat over the final frames and bulkheads. Assuming the boat is glass over ply. Pre-glass the inside skin of the ply before you introduce it up to the frames.

I've been kicking around quite a few options for materials. I think foam core is a bit too expensive unless I find a good price on some. One thought I had was ply internal framing with foam core on lower portion of the hull and ply everywhere else, so the parts actually in the water would be foam core, the rest ply. Is that even reasonable? Best to just go all ply?

Of course I'd like to go as light weight as possible, but as a non-racing boat - more of just an athletic daysailer - I'm not terribly concerned.

Out of curiosity, would it make a better boat to go with thinner ply and a heavier fabric layer on the hull panels vs thicker ply and light fabric?

#10 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

This is how I thought the i550s were constructed: Posted Image

Tokyo Trash Baby, the first real i550, was built that way. Most have been simple stitch and glue though many seem to be adding supports to the build cradle. Our first one, hull 130, was built stitch and glue and the hull had issues, most what everyone else sees to some extent and a few new ones due to the choices we made. SO, the next one, hull 206, is going to be built over a male jig.

You may look at Farrier's site as he has some very good ideas about the best way to build tris.

Edit to add:

Just saw your last post. Our hull issues was due to using thinner ply, glassing the inside and waiting to glass the outside. The time let the ply do some odd things due to weather - expansion and contracting, etc. At least I believe that is why. In any case, the next hull will be supported enough that the twisting and warping we saw will not happen.

#11 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

And the 2 ikea boats you guys are yap'ing about are sportboats how?

Look, here's a turtle on a post!

Attached Files

#12 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

You seem a bit behind the times here, Bubba.

Posted Image

#13 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

This is how I thought the i550s were constructe

Tokyo Trash Baby, the first real i550, was built that way. Most have been simple stitch and glue though many seem to be adding supports to the build cradle. Our first one, hull 130, was built stitch and glue and the hull had issues, most what everyone else sees to some extent and a few new ones due to the choices we made. SO, the next one, hull 206, is going to be built over a male jig.

You may look at Farrier's site as he has some very good ideas about the best way to build tris.

Edit to add:

Just saw your last post. Our hull issues was due to using thinner ply, glassing the inside and waiting to glass the outside. The time let the ply do some odd things due to weather - expansion and contracting, etc. At least I believe that is why. In any case, the next hull will be supported enough that the twisting and warping we saw will not happen.

So are you going to go with thicker ply for the next one or is the goal to get the outer glass on sooner? I actually wasn't aware that most i550s were glassing the inside of the ply before building. Is that standard practice?

Thanks.

#14 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

A few of the stitch and glue boats are glassing the inside. Most of the boats sailing did not. A few are now using carbon inside. Most are using the 6 MM meranti, we used a box store 5 ply 5.2 mm to see what would happen. For hull 206, we are changing that. There is at least one other boat built entirely from box store stuff that is sailing and doing fine.

Glassing the inside does several things. It does makes it stiffer, it also adds weight and it seals the wood a bit better. Carbon makes a very stiff structure if you can afford it.

#15 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

The idea of building on the permanent frames is efficient and smart. Keep in mind that the permanent b'head material may be too light to take the initial forces and might distort as you bend hull panels onto them. One way to build the permanent frames in is to pair them with a stiffer temporary frame for the stiffness and cover the edges of the temp frame with packing tape which epoxy won't stick to. When you roll the boat upright toss the temps or send them on to another Tri builder.

#16 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

You seem a bit behind the times here, Bubba.

Posted Image

you are kidding right?

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha

#17 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,525 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

you are kidding right?
Mwah ha ha ha ha ha

....hey T.S.,,,yer not 12 yet??..still laughing at other people's toys <_<

...you should try a little sip of -grow-up- :)

#18 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Yeah couchsniffer your all over it hey! I've Never met the owner of the boat you pictured, or seen the boat so i wouldnt know! Even still, no matter what pics you put up, the turtle on the post is as much as a sportboat as the wooden pickle fork is! Wonder how the i550 would go against the turtle but?

#19 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

T.S. Being the resident "expert" on what qualifies as a "sportboat" pray tell, what is a sportboat? How does one distinguish between a "sportboat" and a "non-sportboat"? Maybe if you had a set of guidelines the Mods could put it as a sticky at the top?

#20 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

T.S. Being the resident "expert" on what qualifies as a "sportboat" pray tell, what is a sportboat? How does one distinguish between a "sportboat" and a "non-sportboat"? Maybe if you had a set of guidelines the Mods could put it as a sticky at the top?

Good start, not a wood picklefork!

Or a J boat of any size! :P

#21 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hey, you seem frustrated slapping Turkeys. Why not try Chicken Chokin' instead? Might improve your civility factor.
S&T

#22 Frank

Frank

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Well that is not as hard as you may think. In Australia we have a sportsboat assoc and they have guidelines on to what is a sportsboat. If you have a boat outside there guidelines you can apply for an excemption, for example the mimimum length is 6m but we have a few boats under at 5.5m and 5.9m. as long as they are fast enough they can race. The i550 was given a temporary allowance as a trial but proved to be no were near fast enough. It wasn't even close. I saw one race and everyone was finished and the i550 wasn't even around the top mark. They now race against what we call trailer sailers which are generally trailerable cruising boats with symetrical kites. Watch for the results from Easter, i would be surprised if they were even the fastest boat in that div.

So if the first boat built (and probably one of the best) can't even enter a sportsboat div, in a place where we actually have a proper assoc, why is it a sportsboat. not a loaded question, you obviously have a different opinion of what TS has.

#23 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

While tris, of course, are not sport boats, they are certainly as fast and often faster. An i550, I believe, qualifies, due to it's speed potential, sailing traits and the fun factor. And I believe a i550 does sail under a sportboat rating in Australia, but I have not heard recently how they do. What we are slowly finding out as more i550 get finished and are sailing is that they are certainly as fast if not faster than the other 5.5 M sportboats.

#24 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

Well that is not as hard as you may think. In Australia we have a sportsboat assoc and they have guidelines on to what is a sportsboat. If you have a boat outside there guidelines you can apply for an excemption, for example the mimimum length is 6m but we have a few boats under at 5.5m and 5.9m. as long as they are fast enough they can race. The i550 was given a temporary allowance as a trial but proved to be no were near fast enough. It wasn't even close. I saw one race and everyone was finished and the i550 wasn't even around the top mark. They now race against what we call trailer sailers which are generally trailerable cruising boats with symetrical kites. Watch for the results from Easter, i would be surprised if they were even the fastest boat in that div.

So if the first boat built (and probably one of the best) can't even enter a sportsboat div, in a place where we actually have a proper assoc, why is it a sportsboat. not a loaded question, you obviously have a different opinion of what TS has.

Wait, wasn't that Snoo Snoo with the twin rudds in light air? You "saw one race." Sufferin' jesus, give it a rest chum.

#25 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha!

Go and check nearly any race results and get back to us eh!

And i might have told a little lie before, i think i have met the Tokyo owner and seen his little trailable' even raced against it! You wont belive what he has been sailing on recently! ;)

Sportboat no, trailable yes, quicker of the trailables if down wind races for sure, but way different to the boats they are racing against as well!

#26 Gloryhound

Gloryhound

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:sailing,

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha!

And i might have told a little lie before, i think i have met the Tokyo owner and seen his little trailable' even raced against it! You wont belive what he has been sailing on recently! ;)

Sportboat no, trailable yes, quicker of the trailables if down wind races for sure, but way different to the boats they are racing against as well!

Sorry to the i550 crowd, but I get embarrassed every time anyone tries to call an i550 a sportsboat!
Against the true sportsboats, which start at .800 and an i550 is around .7500, there is no comparison they blow us away in every direction. Forget the labels, forget Googles/ Turkey Slapper (Thompson 7---Sportsboat) who is just stirring you guys up and build/sail your i550 and enjoy.

The i550 "sportsboat" is a great gift to us all from the designer and original builder who were the ones to label the design with a name--forget the title / sail the boat ;)

#27 Frank

Frank

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Wait, wasn't that Snoo Snoo with the twin rudds in light air? You "saw one race." Sufferin' jesus, give it a rest chum.

Give what a rest mate. Take your rose coloured glasses off for a second. everything I said is pure fact. the i550 does not and is not faster enough by a long way to be even considered a sportsboat in our country. Yes i saw one race, i was racing in another division, but did see the result for every single race. the i550 was last over the line and on handicap in every single race. there is another 5.5m boat that races often and in the last regatta was also an elliott 5.9. The are both plenty fast enough to be in that div.
I haven't said a bad thing about the boat other than it isn't fast enough to race sportsboats. there are no other race results to speak of because evry other regatta they do is in the trailer sailor division. Check the reults for the recent surf to city. Shazza was over 2 hours behind the first trailer sailer, which was designed and built in the early 80's
Now you have Shazza saying he is embarrssed that it gets called a sportsboat. You going to tell him to take a rest???

#28 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

I've been kicking around quite a few options for materials. I think foam core is a bit too expensive unless I find a good price on some. One thought I had was ply internal framing with foam core on lower portion of the hull and ply everywhere else, so the parts actually in the water would be foam core, the rest ply. Is that even reasonable? Best to just go all ply?

Of course I'd like to go as light weight as possible, but as a non-racing boat - more of just an athletic daysailer - I'm not terribly concerned.

Out of curiosity, would it make a better boat to go with thinner ply and a heavier fabric layer on the hull panels vs thicker ply and light fabric?

#29 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha!

Sorry to the i550 crowd, but I get embarrassed every time anyone tries to call an i550 a sportsboat!
Against the true sportsboats, which start at .800 and an i550 is around .7500, there is no comparison they blow us away in every direction. Forget the labels, forget Googles/ Turkey Slapper (Thompson 7---Sportsboat) who is just stirring you guys up and build/sail your i550 and enjoy.

The i550 "sportsboat" is a great gift to us all from the designer and original builder who were the ones to label the design with a name--forget the title / sail the boat ;)

Finally!

Well done!

And for the record, its Goggles, and like frank, not bagging the boat, but i wouldn't label it a sportboat, in the Aussie scene anyway!

:lol:

#30 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,221 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

the speed rating cut-off is arbitrary

it doesn't change what it IS

it's not a dinghy, it's not a trailer-sailer either, it's not a yacht

I think it's a sportsboat that not quick enough for the aussie mininimum 'speed'

how much slower than the 5.5 quattro is it in real terms

it's a hike to expect an 18' home build to go like optimised 7 and 8 mtr boats

#31 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think it's a sportsboat that not quick enough for the aussie mininimum 'speed'

Best post.

#32 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Precisely.

#33 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

To be entirely honest I couldn't care less if an i550 is a sportboat or not. It seems like there are a few who are very "protective" of a particular niche in sailing. Sportboats aren't the fastest boats for the $ or size. Comparable length cats will outrun them in practically every condition. So giving them a hard time because they aren't as fast is kinda silly. basically you've got a class of boats that are a compromise for various reasons that puts them somewhere between a dingy and keelboat. The i550 fits that group IMO. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference in boat type between an i550 and an open 60 and all of the various stages in between.

In the end though, I really don't care. i550 owners build in a style I was interested in. This is where the i550 guys hang out. That's who I wanted to get some info from, so that's where I asked.

FWIW, it's only a matter of time before the i550 is scaled up to an i700. Should be interesting to see how a 7 meter version at 3-3.5m beam version competes.

#34 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

To be entirely honest I couldn't care less if an i550 is a sportboat or not. It seems like there are a few who are very "protective" of a particular niche in sailing. Sportboats aren't the fastest boats for the $ or size. Comparable length cats will outrun them in practically every condition. So giving them a hard time because they aren't as fast is kinda silly. basically you've got a class of boats that are a compromise for various reasons that puts them somewhere between a dingy and keelboat. The i550 fits that group IMO. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference in boat type between an i550 and an open 60 and all of the various stages in between.

In the end though, I really don't care. i550 owners build in a style I was interested in. This is where the i550 guys hang out. That's who I wanted to get some info from, so that's where I asked.

FWIW, it's only a matter of time before the i550 is scaled up to an i700. Should be interesting to see how a 7 meter version at 3-3.5m beam version competes.

Precisely.

And if someone wants to chime in with "Turkey Slapper is a bit of a tool," I'd probably answer "Precisely," there, too.

#35 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:16 AM

Precisely.

And if someone wants to chime in with "Turkey Slapper is a bit of a tool," I'd probably answer "Precisely," there, too.

Bring it on blow hard!

So no having ago at shazza? Said the same thing as myself, frank and GS! Fucking hypocrite comes to mind there tim!

Do you actually sail one tim?

Hey jet boy, take your shit to nonsportboatmultiwacking anarchy!

#36 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:42 AM

Precisely.

Bring it on blow hard!

So no having ago at shazza? Said the same thing as myself, frank and GS! Fucking hypocrite comes to mind there tim!

Do you actually sail one tim?

Hey jet boy, take your shit to nonsportboatmultiwacking anarchy!

Whenever "Moderator" appears next to your name where "troll" is now, I'll consider your opinion.

#37 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

What is turkey slapper ?? I mean other than annoying.

your points are acknowledged but in the end are disregarded by the builders of the i550. sailing is sailing and individuals who choose to start a fight amongst sailors resemble posseurs more and more each time they start a squabble. I think you are approaching the definition of Posseur Provacatuer (PP for short, triple entendre intended).

You've made your mess now leave and we'll clean up and get on with things.

Timber

#38 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts
  • Interests:rum, boats, girls and rum

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:48 AM

Haha! You guys all jump on the defensive as soon as something negative (but so far been valid in this thread). Slapper made some comments, and they were vailid. I actually sail with Slapper and sailed with him before the ttb was launched. Chill the fuck out, build your boats, and have fun, it's a good entry level boat to have if you want to work your way up in sportsboats, call it a stepping stone. All the points frank, Slapper and GS have made, are legitimate. Don't forget we have pushed the fucking shit out of my boat to get some of the results he have achieved. If you want a boat and one that goes well for what it is, and you can afford, than this is the perfect boat.

#39 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

Haha! You guys all jump on the defensive as soon as something negative (but so far been valid in this thread). Slapper made some comments, and they were vailid. I actually sail with Slapper and sailed with him before the ttb was launched. Chill the fuck out, build your boats, and have fun, it's a good entry level boat to have if you want to work your way up in sportsboats, call it a stepping stone. All the points frank, Slapper and GS have made, are legitimate. Don't forget we have pushed the fucking shit out of my boat to get some of the results he have achieved. If you want a boat and one that goes well for what it is, and you can afford, than this is the perfect boat.

He's an internet troll. He might just as well be posting spam about where to buy cheap shoes - it would have been equally relevant to the discussion.

- I'll go ahead and start a new thread for him.

#40 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

He's an internet troll. He might just as well be posting spam about where to buy cheap shoes - it would have been equally relevant to the discussion.

- I'll go ahead and start a new thread for him.

No, your just a fool and have bitten. and if you wanted to asked the question where all the i550 builders hang out it would have been more appropriate on the i550.org forums, I'm surprised you haven't been told by someone to go to Multihull Anarchy yet!

#41 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

Poor little jetwash! Whats up, your little bark hut outrigger not going well! Mwah ha ha ha ha ha! Funny how you have 2 guys that have built, own and sail these things saying the same thing! Bugger eh! Does the owl scare you? Or the turtle threaten to give your pickle fork a run? Harden up princess!

#42 jetboy

jetboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Poor little jetwash! Whats up, your little bark hut outrigger not going well! Mwah ha ha ha ha ha! Funny how you have 2 guys that have built, own and sail these things saying the same thing! Bugger eh! Does the owl scare you? Or the turtle threaten to give your pickle fork a run? Harden up princess!

Could you try that again in English?

Thanks.

#43 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

Could you try that again in English?

Thanks.

H o w a b o u t i s a y i t a l i t t l e s l o w e r f o r y o u !

#44 (p)Irate

(p)Irate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

Cool it guys. I mean if you can't take what TTB says then WTF. We've got a fleet of S(team)B(oat)3's here and soon to have a fleet of i550's plus a few "real" (ie fitting ASBA criteria) sports boats. Everyone loves their boat and loves sailing. We bag each other out but all have beers together in the bar. Bottom line is we all like going fast against similar boats.

#45 crossa

crossa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

so u guys that pick on other guys boats actually own a sportboat?

#46 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

so u guys that pick on other guys boats actually own a sportboat?

Nope!

Never seen one before! :P

And of course some will play, when a multiwacker troll advertises his bark outrigger not in multiwanker anarchy but here, someone will pick it up! They are fair game eh! Never bagged the I, just gave an opinion of what it wasnt!

Dont lose sleep over it!

#47 Tokyo Trash Baby

Tokyo Trash Baby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

That's right pirate, the boat has its place in yachting, and you guys down there are going to have a great little fleet of these plywood boxes, but I accept the fact of what the boat is, and it has still Achieved a lot, and we have had a great amount of fun on it. It is a bit like sailing with goggs on the T7, the shaw's make us frustrated when it's just us sailing against them, but when we got to airlie and we had 5 T7's to race, it was great to race boats of the same design.

#48 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

This is Turkie. Turkie owns a Tommy7. Turkie likes to be a little internet bitch by slagging on smaller boats that aren't as fast as Turkie's.

HTFU Turkie.

(ignore button works really well...syanora Turkie)

#49 Longdongsilver

Longdongsilver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

This is Turkie. Turkie owns a Tommy7. Turkie likes to be a little internet bitch by slagging on smaller boats that aren't as fast as Turkie's.

HTFU Turkie.

Oh the humiliation!

#50 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

HTFU Turkie.

Ha ha ha fucking ha! Your kidding arnt you? Gold! :lol:

You soft touchy little whinny poof!

I am gutted i could be on ignore, what will i ever do? :lol:

1st quote in this thread where i slagged the i550! And especially where i said anything near as bad as tokyo and shazza, who own and sail the fucking things!

Please show me where i say my boat is fast? Cant be, its the 2nd oldest of its type in the World! Shitter! Its even got timber in it! :lol:

#51 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

So, now that we've gotten rid of the annoying little boy (or, at least, I have) and to get back to the original topic and away from the idiotic hijack, my one piece of advice is to not underestimate the amount of hours this project (the tri) will take for the home-builder. Even "simple" hull forms take an arse-load of fairing. Multiple that by 3 and you are looking at a lot of microballoons, sanding block and longboard time.

Maybe one of the pent-up Auslanders will come back and argue it isn't a longboard unless it's over 0.753 meter ;)

#52 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

So, now that we've gotten rid of the annoying little boy (or, at least, I have cause im fucking cool hey) and to get back to the original topic and away from the idiotic hijack i caused, my one piece of advice is to not underestimate the amount of hours this project (the tri) will take for the home-builder. Even "simple" hull forms take an arse-load of fairing. Multiple that by 3 and you are looking at a lot of microballoons, sanding block and longboard time.

Maybe one of the pent-up Auslanders will come back and argue it isn't a longboard unless it's over the average Aussie 10 inches on the slack ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you all ok now little man?

#53 TD Floater

TD Floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

I always thought longboard were 0.8, could be wrong. About 10 inches on the slack.

Yeah, good thanks Slaps, and you?

#54 Turkey Slapper

Turkey Slapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

I always thought longboard were 0.8, could be wrong. About 10 inches on the slack.

Yeah, good thanks Slaps, and you?

Ha ha ha ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users