362 replies to this topic

#1 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:46 AM

Can some one let us Southerners know when Airlie Beach race week is so we can plan to attend?

Wilpy

#2 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:50 AM

There is this thing called Google......

#3 Big Andy

Big Andy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:13 AM

There is a race week on the gippsland lakes, 4-9th of April.

#4 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:21 AM

August 10- 16.
Looks like 2 multihull divisions this year with the addition of a PHS cruising division for unrated boats.

#5 highndry

highndry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:inshore / offshore, cruising, travel, retirement

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

will they measure the big pickle forks for omr ?

#6 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Mojo is being measured this week while up on blocks, and KAS very soon. Vodafone just has to slow down long enough for us to take the measurements for a more accurate 2012 rating.
As mentioned elsewhere here KAS is going to be on the line for the Gladstone, and we are hoping for Vodafone as well so that we have a big year all the way up the coast.
Still it is a shame that Hammo won't let us do it in the cheap boats, as a few of us are doing ABRW, some cruising, and Magnetic as well and will twiddle thumbs that week. Would love to win an Audi at Hammo to see if it will tow the caravan through traffic.

#7 Longdongsilver

Longdongsilver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

So can auscat enter his jet ski! Its faster than a mono, and way quicker than a multihull but there isnt a div here for him! Diddums! I have seen the complaints of the multihull sailors trying to get into major mono frequented regattas, and seen there attention whoreing grabs to be seen at starts, so thought you people in this here, the multihull anarchy hero's would be able to help!

Help please, the mono guys just dont seam to understand!

I will pay to get it omr rated as well!

Attached Files

#8 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

The sailing starts on the 10th but registration etc is the 9th.

As an extra bonus Fun Race is on 18th for anyone staying for a bit longer its a great way to unwind .

Posted Image

#9 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

So Chippy, when are the details of ABRW coming out? 2 divisions? Courses? On water umpires in case you guys pick on the little tris again???

#10 Robnacra

Robnacra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, booze and boobs.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Nice tits

#11 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:racing multis

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

So Chippy, when are the details of ABRW coming out? 2 divisions? Courses? On water umpires in case you guys pick on the little tris again???

You said you might be coming up with a F22 .I just hope you have nothing to do with the last 2 jokers that came up here on a F22 .They will not be welcome as that was the worst thing I have ever seen on the water and I doubt that I will see anything like it again .

So lets just have great sailing, fun and camaraderie as usual very one else is welcome and looking forward to another great race week.

#12 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

You said you might be coming up with a F22 .I just hope you have nothing to do with the last 2 jokers that came up here on a F22 .They will not be welcome as that was the worst thing I have ever seen on the water and I doubt that I will see anything like it again .

So lets just have great sailing, fun and camaraderie as usual very one else is welcome and looking forward to another great race week.

If we could have a re-run of last year with the wind and predominantly island racing that would be great.

#13 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

If we could have a re-run of last year with the wind and predominantly island racing that would be great.

Thats what we have on order. Another great race week with the same format as last year. 1 day with bay races ,1 day very long bay race the last day,and the rest are Island races

#14 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

I am happy with that fellas, and the F22 will be a cleanskin if I can get it out of the F27 birth canal (back hatch). Otherwise happy in old faithful.
More importantly what is the venue likely to be? We are very confused by the SailWorld release, and either venue will dictate accommodation for some of the old(er than me) farts. Abel Pt or the POrt of A?
Hope you are recovering Shaneo?

#15 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

I am happy with that fellas, and the F22 will be a cleanskin if I can get it out of the F27 birth canal (back hatch). Otherwise happy in old faithful.
More importantly what is the venue likely to be? We are very confused by the SailWorld release, and either venue will dictate accommodation for some of the old(er than me) farts. Abel Pt or the POrt of A?
Hope you are recovering Shaneo?

We have a whole new commitee this year and they just seem to be a little slow with bringing out the Notice Of Race.

I will go down to the club this arfternoon and give them another prod.

As for me, thanks for your concern, I should be back on the water by race week as everything is going well.

#16 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

The web site is back up and they are getting close to having a notice of race.

http://www.airliebea...au/AbelPoin.php

#17 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Thanks Shane, we may have to weigh you before next race to see if the carbon and kevlar have altered you.
More importantly, do you think we will be at Abel Point or Port of Airlie?

#18 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

Thanks Shane, we may have to weigh you before next race to see if the carbon and kevlar have altered you.
More importantly, do you think we will be at Abel Point or Port of Airlie?

Don't hold me on it , but it looks the same as years gone by . To be at Ables . There are not many berths at the Port yet and they like to keep it all together for change of race instructions boards and the all profitable beer tent

As for me I'm no lighter but my BMI has gone down as I'm taller now . Thought there had to be an easer way than dieting

#19 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks, thought they were being a bit hopeful. Maybe the beer tent needs to be 2 levels.

#20 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hi guys sorry we can't give you more solid info but a combination of new club management keen on reinventing the wheel and a marina in the hands of receivers has meant quite a paper trail.

The comunication guidlines and rules of engagement seem to have been established so with a bit of luck we will see some definate answers very soon.

Everyone is keen for the addition of a PHS/cruising division but untill it comes out on paper its still a definate maybe.We have resolved the problem of handicapping and you can be sure I will be picking the brains of the MYCQ to get the best possible out come.
Basicaly you can expect the same as last year.If anyone needs any help at all contact myself or Shaneo because if we cant get the answer then there isn't one yet.

I know its still a long way off but thanks Wilpy and Plywood boy for creating this level of interest so early on.

#21 highndry

highndry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

just run it from the Bi Lo car park

card table and a hand held

#22 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

just run it from the Bi Lo car park

card table and a hand held

and a massive esky

#23 highndry

highndry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

+ 1

#24 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Yer, bit of a bummer. Mojo is off to the Kings cup, so the curry in a hurry will take its place at Airlie instead.

Bloody fantastic. Bring on the HOT VINDALOO. I'm shore we will help your sailing by dragging you out to KC'S
for a very big drink

#25 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Getting closer fellas, and Magnetic info is live (a slow multi has already nominated to provide comfort stations up there), so how about some Airlie info???? Just wanna know
(a) that it is on?
(B) where it is (which marina base silly)?
© how the courses will look?
(d) whether the more important issue of the differential queue length between the rum queue and the beer queue will be sorted? Code flag B nearly came out of my pants when the beer was running faster.
(e) whether the old farts still get second row seats at the hot babe jelly wrestling at Beaches nightclub?
(f) whether chippie will give me another massage on the last night?

Just did the bearings and a few trailer jobs for Bay to Bay in a cuppla weeks, and declare that the Caravan Is Ready .

#26 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

The notice of race was signed off on Friday and the show is definatly ON.

There have been a few iffy moments in the last couple of weeks and while the marina has not been exactly supportive a deal has been agreed on.
The best news is that the beer tent will be at the sailing club so there will be no reason to go home early.
Courses will be the same as last year.

Berthing has been the sticking point so the deal is that the entry fee will be reduced but you have to book your own berth.The marina has reluctanly agreed to give a discount on fees.
If you really want you could hang off a pick out the front or get in early and try and grab a mooring.There are a few dinghys around that I'm sure can be made available if this option is chosen.

The bad news is no PHS division as it has just been so hard to get this event to actually happen without extra stuff.

Overall despite the shit fight the club is now in total control of its event for the first time in years.We all hope that a new owner for the marina is found soon and that they will want to help grow this event.

At the end of the day guys its game on.You can expect the usual combination of great sailing, (as long as Huey cooperates) around beautiful island courses,followed by massive nights. Look forward to seeing all your ugly mugs again.If anyone needs anything at all don't hesitate to get in touch with me or Shaneo.

#27 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

So let me get that right, the regatta is out of Abel Point, the beer tent is a walk around to the sailing club, and we book the berth ourselves?
Courses last year were? (I did the year before)
And OMR only?
Will chew on that tonight.
Thanks for the answers.

#28 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

So let me get that right, the regatta is out of Abel Point, the beer tent is a walk around to the sailing club, and we book the berth ourselves?
And OMR only?
Thanks for the answers.

There will be a free bus service from the marina to the club.
Courses are Island based mostly about 30 miles long.

Rumour has it that TVS will be back and KAS will be here too.Now that alone will make the trip worth it.

#29 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

And OMR only?
Thanks for the answers.

Rumour has it that TVS will be back and KAS will be here too.Now that alone will make the trip worth it.

winner winner chicken dinner!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 janj70

janj70

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Is n't there any berths in the new muddy marina? I heard Petes Pescott is in there. less of a walk. Are the monos run out of the the sailing club as well?

The notice of race was signed off on Friday and the show is definatly ON.

There have been a few iffy moments in the last couple of weeks and while the marina has not been exactly supportive a deal has been agreed on.
The best news is that the beer tent will be at the sailing club so there will be no reason to go home early.
Courses will be the same as last year.

Berthing has been the sticking point so the deal is that the entry fee will be reduced but you have to book your own berth.The marina has reluctanly agreed to give a discount on fees.
If you really want you could hang off a pick out the front or get in early and try and grab a mooring.There are a few dinghys around that I'm sure can be made available if this option is chosen.

The bad news is no PHS division as it has just been so hard to get this event to actually happen without extra stuff.

Overall despite the shit fight the club is now in total control of its event for the first time in years.We all hope that a new owner for the marina is found soon and that they will want to help grow this event.

At the end of the day guys its game on.You can expect the usual combination of great sailing, (as long as Huey cooperates) around beautiful island courses,followed by massive nights. Look forward to seeing all your ugly mugs again.If anyone needs anything at all don't hesitate to get in touch with me or Shaneo.

#31 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

If you can get a berth in the new side go for it.

The big drama is that there are 2 banks and 2 marinas.

THERE IS NO US or WE.
The shit fight that the club has been delt makes the Greek econamy look like a good investment.

PS Mojo had a great race around the cans tonight and were still at the pub when I left.Good times.

#32 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, football, family.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

And OMR only?
Thanks for the answers.

Chippy, What do you think entry and pen is going to cost? How much discount is Able Point? going to give? Like Plywoody I need to start organising if it's worth going!!!

#33 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Far kit , I am going still, too far down the track to pull the old fella out .....
Game on!

#34 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Some pics from last nights twilight race to keep you interested.

#35 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

Just as a reference, how much did you beat MOJO by

#36 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Cyno beat Mojo by about 30sec.Mojo is in full cruising mode and with only 4 crew put up a great fight.

Seems TVS is definatly comming and looks like there could be a fleet of maybe 20 boats in all if everybody who has expressed interest at this stage turns up.

Stil trying to track down exact pricing on berths etc, trying to get answers from anybody after a Wed night aint easy.

#37 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Cyno beat Mojo by about 30sec.Mojo is in full cruising mode and with only 4 crew put up a great fight.

Seems TVS is definatly comming and looks like there could be a fleet of maybe 20 boats in all if everybody who has expressed interest at this stage turns up.

Stil trying to track down exact pricing on berths etc, trying to get answers from anybody after a Wed night aint easy.

WoW that says something about "The fear of dogs"
TVS and TA will need several berths, one hull in each :P

#38 janj70

janj70

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

We are working on getting the curry there, bay to bay in a few weeks, then in to the shed for a little tickle up, then hit the road north. Bullet Proof is trying to kidnap us to get another win.

#39 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

What boat were you sailing on?

#40 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Shaneo and I will be sailing on Pete Berry's Jouvert a Pescot 11.7m Whitehaven.Too much beer and bullshit on the blue boat,time for a change.

#41 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

http://www.airliebea...m.au/notice.php

Here is the notice of race.

#42 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

And what if J'Ouvert becomes more of a SeaCart?

#43 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

And what if J'Ouvert becomes more of a SeaCart?

$2oo,ooo for an old used Seacart dreamin.Besides he really wants a 40 footerB)

#44 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

But you really want a tri chipppy.....
Not too many good caravans still out there, and most just stay on powered sites with the annexe up.

#45 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

But you really want a tri chipppy.....
Not too many good caravans still out there, and most just stay on powered sites with the annexe up.

e-marineworld Bare Essentials has entered. Come on guys, need more than a Plywood caravan to race!!!!!

#46 bush sailer

bush sailer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Rushour is cruising up the coast and will be there. What is the story about anchoring the boat in Shutte Harbour before the regatta. Is it allowed? safe? Any info from locals would be appreciated. I can not see much point in leaving the boat in a marina when we are not there.

#47 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

Rushour is cruising up the coast and will be there. What is the story about anchoring the boat in Shutte Harbour before the regatta. Is it allowed? safe? Any info from locals would be appreciated. I can not see much point in leaving the boat in a marina when we are not there.

Can organise a mooring out the front of the sailing club if you want to pm me some details.

#48 bush sailer

bush sailer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

Can organise a mooring out the front of the sailing club if you want to pm me some details.

Thanks,
I will contact you when I know when we will get there.
Probably early June.
Cheers

#49 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

5 boats entered already,including Langmans Orma60 Team Australia.

Gonna be a great trans Tasman battle between the big boys,dont miss the show.

#50 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Caravan first entry Airlie and Maggie, serving sausages off the nets to all rafted up between starts.

#51 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Caravan first entry Airlie and Maggie, serving sausages off the nets to all rafted up between starts.

With the amount of Div 1. boats racing, maybe we should have 2 divisions? Could be a big fleet this year with 2 Orma 60 on the start line.
The caravan will be like a speed hump if it gets in the way?????

#52 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

With the amount of Div 1. boats racing, maybe we should have 2 divisions? Could be a big fleet this year with 2 Orma 60 on the start line.
The caravan will be like a speed hump if it gets in the way?????

I know the race week director follows this thread and I'm sure he will make the right decision.Wondered when this would come up,join in guys,whats the feeling?

#53 WH3801

WH3801

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

it would be dissapointing not to be able to race against all comers if it were to be more than one division. My vote would be for one division, more boats more challenge.

#54 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

We are all there for different reasons but the northern regattas for us are just FUN, Serious tactical stuff can stay from Brisvegas down to Port Fullup, but Airlie is just too nice to go full steam. If you look at our mono mates, they are happy just to be there and more charter comfortable boats every year.
One division is fine with us unless the numbers are huge, although I defy any handicap system to work with the range of handicaps in the fleet. B2B this weekend, even with two divisions is still a gamble when you have Mad Max at one end and a newby in an F25 at the other (same division). Both crews will be getting their rocks off.

Besides, I wanna share a start line with an ORMA to test the blue book if they overtake us from leeward and windward two hulls are above (vertically not laterally) my leeward hull.

#55 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image
Too nice not to share from a couple of weeks ago.

#56 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

We are all there for different reasons but the northern regattas for us are just FUN, Serious tactical stuff can stay from Brisvegas down to Port Fullup, but Airlie is just too nice to go full steam. If you look at our mono mates, they are happy just to be there and more charter comfortable boats every year.
One division is fine with us unless the numbers are huge, although I defy any handicap system to work with the range of handicaps in the fleet. B2B this weekend, even with two divisions is still a gamble when you have Mad Max at one end and a newby in an F25 at the other (same division). Both crews will be getting their rocks off.

Besides, I wanna share a start line with an ORMA to test the blue book if they overtake us from leeward and windward two hulls are above (vertically not laterally) my leeward hull.

OMR is a good handicap system but doesn't work when boats rating round one are racing much lower rating boats. I race for fun, but like to have a chance as well. Very unlikely a div.1 boat will beat a Pescott on OMR round the track..
If there's enough boats I vote for 2 divisions.

#57 cabsav

cabsav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

2 divisions, 1 start?

#58 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

At the moment it looks as if the division point would be around 9.5-1.0 t. Maybe 1.0 to allow trhe big 60s room
You probable know my vote. One start one division

#59 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

2 divisions, 1 start?

If you have one start we only need one division

#60 Smooth Cruiser

Smooth Cruiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

I'd be keen to see a PHS division as well as OMR - I think the Whitsunday Racing atmosphere is too good to restrict it to OMR boats only - PHS is a great way to get some fast cruisers along for a week of good sailing and good times now that the Rendezvous seems to have gone by the wayside (temporarily?). The Rendezvous used to have three divisions which gave most people a pool of similar boats to sail against. Yes it adds to the workload for starters and officials but is it really that much harder to mount an extra division? Sometimes the divisions got a bit lean and then it was fine to merge, but whenever that happened the results really just became a gamble as it is so hard to effectively handicap a diverse fleet of cats and tris.

Somewhere on the coast there needs to be a "fun" multihull race week which can be an introduction regatta for people who want to see how therir boat / toy / home goes around the cans, that is not too exclusive and still gives people an opportunity to experience a race start and results presentations. And what better place to do that than Airlie Beach where a lot of cruisers congregate and where racers go out ot pasture.

I will be bringing my cat up the coast for the racing, and while I am looking into what is involved to get it rated (weighing will be the biggest issue as I have no other need to take it out the water), I would much rather just turn up and sail PHS.

Be interesting to see how the numbers shape up now that the NOR is out and entries start to come in.

#61 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Great Photos Auscat, cyno and mojo looking good.

#62 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

I'd be keen to see a PHS division as well as OMR - I think the Whitsunday Racing atmosphere is too good to restrict it to OMR boats only - PHS is a great way to get some fast cruisers along for a week of good sailing and good times now that the Rendezvous seems to have gone by the wayside (temporarily?). The Rendezvous used to have three divisions which gave most people a pool of similar boats to sail against. Yes it adds to the workload for starters and officials but is it really that much harder to mount an extra division? Sometimes the divisions got a bit lean and then it was fine to merge, but whenever that happened the results really just became a gamble as it is so hard to effectively handicap a diverse fleet of cats and tris.

Somewhere on the coast there needs to be a "fun" multihull race week which can be an introduction regatta for people who want to see how therir boat / toy / home goes around the cans, that is not too exclusive and still gives people an opportunity to experience a race start and results presentations. And what better place to do that than Airlie Beach where a lot of cruisers congregate and where racers go out ot pasture.

I will be bringing my cat up the coast for the racing, and while I am looking into what is involved to get it rated (weighing will be the biggest issue as I have no other need to take it out the water), I would much rather just turn up and sail PHS.

Be interesting to see how the numbers shape up now that the NOR is out and entries start to come in.

Is that you Al?

Its a real bugger that PHS got left off the Notice of Race but just getting the event to happen at all meant that when the deal was done it was a case of sign here now.There was every intention of a phs division but at the end of the day it was an oversight that is just too hard to change.Sorry guys.

Its a shame to see the Rendesvous end up a booze cruise around the islands, but when the rest of the world revolted against the Abel Point Commodore's version of racing, ie a week of windward -leewards and voted for island racing he spat the dummy and canned racing in the Rendesvous this year.

As for the 1-2 divisions in race week I feel it will come down to safety rather than ratings.

With the way the G forces perform I reckon they will be right up there.If its light Max has a foot in and if Malice makes it with all its new gear I'm sure the will have a shoe in as well. If it blows snot my money is on the big boys.Trilogy came close last year but got screwed by the bay.

There are some good points on both sides of the fence and I'm glad its not my decision.I reckon crews should stay out of the debate and let the skippers slug it out.

#63 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Is that you Al?

Its a real bugger that PHS got left off the Notice of Race but just getting the event to happen at all meant that when the deal was done it was a case of sign here now.There was every intention of a phs division but at the end of the day it was an oversight that is just too hard to change.Sorry guys.

Its a shame to see the Rendesvous end up a booze cruise around the islands, but when the rest of the world revolted against the Abel Point Commodore's version of racing, ie a week of windward -leewards and voted for island racing he spat the dummy and canned racing in the Rendesvous this year.

As for the 1-2 divisions in race week I feel it will come down to safety rather than ratings.

With the way the G forces perform I reckon they will be right up there.If its light Max has a foot in and if Malice makes it with all its new gear I'm sure the will have a shoe in as well. If it blows snot my money is on the big boys.Trilogy came close last year but got screwed by the bay.

There are some good points on both sides of the fence and I'm glad its not my decision.I reckon crews should stay out of the debate and let the skippers slug it out.

We should have a phs division next year

#64 janj70

janj70

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

We are lucky yo get multis in to race week again. The week holds divisions for a lot of boats and if we only get 15/20 boats I think that it only warrants one division for us. Hopefully next year we can PBH. We need to cater for all of our multi sailors.

#65 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

At the moment it looks as if the division point would be around 9.5-1.0 t. Maybe 1.0 to allow trhe big 60s room
You probable know my vote. One start one division

Division split should be around 9.5 and up. Below that you're not really racing div. 1 boats, you're only starting with them.
Race the boats around you and catch up with the others at the bar.

#66 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

First things first lets get all the entries in, then the serious stuff begins.

#67 rattie

rattie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Is that you Al?

We should have a phs division next year

#68 Smooth Cruiser

Smooth Cruiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Is that you Al?

Yes - glad you recognised my post! See you at the bar in August, whatever division I end up sailing in!

#69 bush sailer

bush sailer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

What about giving all boats an temporary OMR . Guess boat weight based on similar boats measure sails etc add 10 - 20% (I think vodaphone was done this way.) The more boats the better I would think.

#70 Smooth Cruiser

Smooth Cruiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

I would be happy to sail with a temporary OMR but I am sure that others would say that this would undermine the integrity of the rating system. What you say about adding 10-20% safety margin to the approximate value could be a good way to go - once people get serious about competing on OMR they could then go and get an accurate measure to remove this 10-20% burden that they are carrying.

By the way bush sailer - I think after reading through a few posts here in the last few days (I don't visit often) and matching usernames and posts to boats that I sailed alongside you for a while before the start of the Brisbane to Gladstone - if so your's is a nice looking boat and well done in the race.

#71 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

PHS is IN.As of a meeting last night it as been agreed apon to change the notice of race to include a PHS multihull division.

I will post a link as soon as it has been done.You get to do more than hold the bar up Al.

#72 Smooth Cruiser

Smooth Cruiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

Woohoo!!

#73 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

http://www.facebook....249808355052321

Just found this on face book from last year,not sure if it will work but here goes .

#74 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

PHS as well is a huge win for this event. After a few years in the wasteland it was absolutely awesome to bring the van up the first time multis were back (year before last?) but this decision will get a big multi-fun factor. The fleet size must surely grow, no excuse not to be there.
As for assigning the ratings, good luck! Just sent the B2B numbers off for a good fleet of 25 this year, and with predicted light winds, it could be anyone's race.
(My money on Mad Max for the double)

#75 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

PHS is IN.As of a meeting last night it as been agreed apon to change the notice of race to include a PHS multihull division.

I will post a link as soon as it has been done.You get to do more than hold the bar up Al.

Good news, definitely an asset for Multihull sailing. Well done boys!

#76 bush sailer

bush sailer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

By the way bush sailer - I think after reading through a few posts here in the last few days (I don't visit often) and matching usernames and posts to boats that I sailed alongside you for a while before the start of the Brisbane to Gladstone - if so your's is a nice looking boat and well done in the race.
[/quote]
Thanks for the compliment, but in reality we did not do much right in the race but it was very enjoyable never the less. We will certainly try and do it next year.
What boat were you on?

#77 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Caught a roomer Chill Pill is thinking of coming up.

Come on guys all you will regret is getting lead astray the night before.

It looks like a great line up this year

#78 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

https://www.topyacht...php?EventID=189
Entry form with phs multihull division now added.

Posted Image

#79 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

A little birdie told me that Frassel from Victoria is thinking of coming up as well. Lets hope he makes it !!!!!

#80 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

A little birdie told me that Frassel from Victoria is thinking of coming up as well. Lets hope he makes it !!!!!

The more the merrier.
With the collapse of Meridian it seems that berths owned by unit complexes are now managed by said units and deals maybe able to be done.The deals with unit and berth are still on but will let you guys know if more berths at a better price can be arranged for the week.

I live here and its bloody hard to figure which bank owns which bit,which units manage which berths and how to get what price from whom is just a nightmare.Hang in there guys as Mr Halter is going to sent out an e-mail with details of some of this crap soon.I will post it here too if your not on his list.

#81 Wilpy

Wilpy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

Posted Image

Does that means to do both the OMR and PHS divisions you need to enter both or will the OMR entries be carried over to the PHS division?

#82 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Posted Image

Does that means to do both the OMR and PHS divisions you need to enter both or will the OMR entries be carried over to the PHS division?

Wondering that myself?

#83 trt

trt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

I believe its one or the other but not both

#84 rob d

rob d

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Leave a crappy looking boat on a berth for an hour or two and someone will let you know it is their berth!

#85 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

The PHS division will be totally seperate,doing shorter courses more in tune with the mono cruising div.

#86 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

The PHS division will be totally seperate,doing shorter courses more in tune with the mono cruising div.

Sounds like the correct division for the Plywood boy!!!!

#87 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Well done Al, Mc Moggy the 1st PHS entry.Good luPosted Imageck against Zippy.Remember the handicapper drinks Bundy,not that poofter hill crap.B)

#88 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

Put me in mono slugs for all I care , as long as I can rehydrate in the big tent.

#89 Dale dug a hole

Dale dug a hole

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Digging holes

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Put me in mono slugs for all I care , as long as I can rehydrate in the big tent.

...or you could go against the Russian Volvo 70 that was meant to turn up.

#90 Peter Hackett

Peter Hackett

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

1336724253[/url]' post='3708899']

1336723148[/url]' post='3708895']

...or you could go against the Russian Volvo 70 that was meant to turn up.

Volvo 70 , dasvedarnya, just a speed bump for the caravan.

#91 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

We're gonna need a bigger tent;)

Posted Image

#92 trimariner

trimariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

I have 2 moorings that may be available, check with Kevin Fogarty @ WSC as he services them. Jeez I hope the 2 ORMA 60's turn up. That would be AWESOME !!!

#93 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

Posted Image

Wont need a tent that big! No more entries for a while, come on boys, best regatta in Oz.

#94 green boat

green boat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

Posted Image

Wont need a tent that big! No more entries for a while, come on boys, best regatta in Oz.

Its got nothing to do with the tent or contents of said tent, more to do with the distance north,
and personally the fact that I have just sold the abode and need to find another while I build a third :(

#95 shaneo

shaneo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Posted Image

Its got nothing to do with the tent or contents of said tent, more to do with the distance north,
and personally the fact that I have just sold the abode and need to find another while I build a third :(

Plan it next year and start putting aside now. you wont regret it and then you will allways come back every year ,its that good

#96 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Good to see the Millars have got their entries in.Boofhead with Rum Raider and Pinhead with Cynophobe.

A race week with out Vicky on the raider wont quite be the same.

http://www.youtube.c...x0&feature=fvsr Cynophobe
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jg-MNSaeLdk Rum Raider

#97 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

http://youtu.be/vz4huiey9kE

Take that as a yes for race week.Bring it on.

#98 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Posted Image

#99 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

It's going to be another great week of sailing. I hope now the entries start flowing in. Bring your boats up and watch Hamo Race Week before cruising the islands......

#100 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

It's going to be another great week of sailing. I hope now the entries start flowing in. Bring your boats up and watch Hamo Race Week before cruising the islands......

If you guys need a dinghy I've still got old faithful,bit of luck there are a few others around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users