94 replies to this topic

#1 LilMissy

LilMissy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Money and Sailing

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Anyone know what's on the market besides a corsair or a dragonfly?

#2 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Anything that flys

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Where do you live? What are you going to do with it?

#3 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

There is a nice Native somewhere down in Central America...

#4 B30

B30

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

At the high end of the ladder is the PT-11 from Aquidneck Custom. Go for the taller rig version. I race on a Corsair 37 Carbon. I would not recomend it unless you plan to do a lot of after purchase repairs and streangthening to the boat. Too bad as the design and concept are great.

#5 B30

B30

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

The final meeting on Friday involving MSQ, Water Police, and officers from both mono and multihull clubs, approved the combined start. Similar to starts in the good all days, the monohulls (and their keels) will start outside a line dividing marker, and 10 minutes later the multihulls will start in close to the jetty in the same direction.

:huh: ?

#6 ALL AT SEA

ALL AT SEA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:water, wind, gravity, keeping the wench happy.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

The final meeting on Friday involving MSQ, Water Police, and officers from both mono and multihull clubs, approved the combined start. Similar to starts in the good all days, the monohulls (and their keels) will start outside a line dividing marker, and 10 minutes later the multihulls will start in close to the jetty in the same direction.

someone taking the piss, copying other peoples quotes from other threads and pasting them into non-relevant threads. go figure.

#7 diggler

diggler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

need wwwaaaayyyy more info. do you want folding/demountable or not? looking for new or used? live aboard or not? racing, cruising, both?

in the size range you've quoted you can get some big folder/swinger/demountables or you can get full on blue water cruisers or hardcore all out racers.

There is a used 40ft Kurt Hughes trimaran kicking around for a nice price, pretty austere inside but very light and fast as a result. Would be my pick for a 40ft tri.

#8 hobie17li

hobie17li

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

3 posts?? welcome to SA. please post pictures relative to welcome.
what's your budget?? sailing area? carbon 3 looks nice...good
conducive interests, one will get rid of the other...

#9 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Find an issue of the French Magazine Multihulls World. Or any French multi magazine. Barnes and Nobel usually have it.

It will blow your mind.

I don't know if you can buy any in the US. I didn't even check to see if you are in the US. Shit. Sorry.

Check out New Zealand and Australian sites/ manufacturers/ designers. Cool stuff. What is it, the 8.5 box rule class in NZ? Check it out. All sorts of links to cool bigger designs.

Randy Reynolds has some new stuff out that might not raise hackles. And the guys with the hackles know who they are.....

Edit- oops! Cat.

#10 trenace

trenace

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

someone taking the piss, copying other peoples quotes from other threads and pasting them into non-relevant threads. go figure.

Probably not... a number of times I've seen the forum put my post on a different thread than I was replying to, and had to delete it and try again.

#11 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

Contour 34, in the SA Classifieds is an option - think Dragonfly without the Danish interior.

#12 craigiri

craigiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,340 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Innovation, Web Development, Writing, etc.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Find an issue of the French Magazine Multihulls World. Or any French multi magazine. Barnes and Nobel usually have it.

It will blow your mind.

I don't know if you can buy any in the US. I didn't even check to see if you are in the US. Shit. Sorry.

West Marine sells that multi-hull mag too! I always pick it up a drool.

#13 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Silver drool cup comes in handy there.

I use one!

#14 Triceratops

Triceratops

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

There is a used 40ft Kurt Hughes trimaran kicking around for a nice price, pretty austere inside but very light and fast as a result. Would be my pick for a 40ft tri.

Please don't buy this one, I'm hoping it is still for sale in 2014 when I finish my masters degree and take it to the Great Lakes!
Tri

#15 bens

bens

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

[/quote]

Please don't buy this one, I'm hoping it is still for sale in 2014 when I finish my masters degree and take it to the Great Lakes!
Tri
[/quote]

I think it sold and on its way to Belgium. They actually diassembled it in the water at the dock, and used the small dry dock launch crane to put it on a trailer.

#16 Marie Laveau

Marie Laveau

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

The descriptor said, and I quote, "fast fun CRUISING tri"

#17 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

contour 34Ö.

#18 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:surfing and sailing

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

At 7:46 p.m. we should be hearing from Mitch again.....

#19 the loose cannon

the loose cannon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

At this point, go try and put a bid in on Virgin Fire and sail her home :) outstanding one off boat.

#20 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

Bid? That boat (Virgin FIre) is such a steal and the guy has dropped his price so far it is sad. A great boat, I know firsthand and it will need some sails and such but is a very sound boat and worth a look. Big and fast though, we kicked butt all over the Caribbean multihull circuit for years and it has a very spacious if spartan interior. Just don't tell the owner that you are going to put an inboard diesel and generator and airconditioning on it or he won't sell it to you for any price. A very knowlegeable and experienced multihull sailor and he designed the boat so don't f**k with his creation! Some things just need to be left alone, and this boat will deliver in spades.

#21 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Perhaps more hints, or a link?
Google found no less than 4 different trimarans, and a handful of twinhulledcondomarans named Virgin Fire.

#22 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

Virgin Fire

#23 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:39 AM

Here's something- pick a length, all sorts of stuff

http://www.nauticalt...om/35-trimarans

#24 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

Virgin Fire

bastard child

of a

farrier - orma coupling

looks the biz

#25 Jangles13

Jangles13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Faamu Sami is for sale too, at a silly low price considering what she cost to build. Been on her, sailed next to her, pretty remarkable one-off as well. Set up to singlehand with wife and small kids... at 2x wind speed.

Virgin Fire is still sweet, I remember the first time I saw her was going through the CC canal and I almost snapped my neck trying to get a good look.

On a more practical note, I know the owner of a certain Newick Tricia that is eager to sell. I'm quite familiar with the boat and would encourage someone who likes that design to pursue this one in particular.

#26 jimbojones

jimbojones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

what about a condor 40? I've never sailed on one but I see them on yacht world all the time for what seems like reasonable asking prices for such a boat

#27 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

Virgin Fire is a great boat but while I also prefer the outboard most cruisers don't like those trade-offs... and then you the have the wood/epoxy construction. At 56 feet she is a lot of boat for a couple cruising. I'm gonna guess the price will have to drop a lot more before she sells.

The Kurt Hughes boat is also an outboard with limited tankage. Ten feet shorter and $50K cheaper might be a good thing if going cruising but still, you are up around the price you can find an Atlantic 42 for. I know its a cat but if I was strictly cruising that is the direction I would head.

Either one of those tris would be a blast to go casual racing on though.

I have always wondered... with already having a propone stove on board, why not use the propane hot water heaters and or fridges? The heck with the weight of the inboards!

#28 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

2 condor 40's up for sale at less than $100K. This is my kind of budget, but how are the accommodations for live-aboard? The last tri I was on was a bit spartan in this regard. Of course plenty of deck space to crash on at anchor in the Caribbean. I doubt you can get anything faster and equally offshore capable for less than $150K?

#29 Jangles13

Jangles13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

Condors have a sorted history. They are relatively heavy to begin with (thus slower than you might expect), and more than one of them has had serious wet core issues in the amas. I'm not going to say they are something to steer clear of, but definitely do your research.

#30 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Cruising trimaran for sale on SA this week. 38x24,canted amas,open wing,nice galley,probuilt,epoxy,Airex,double aft,plus 2 sets of bunkbeds,close to the Bahamas. It would cost over $300k to build her today. $77k. Attached File  wingsnewickacey 198.JPG   145.79K   144 downloadssee her on SA classifieds this week.

#31 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Condors have a sorted history. They are relatively heavy to begin with (thus slower than you might expect), and more than one of them has had serious wet core issues in the amas. I'm not going to say they are something to steer clear of, but definitely do your research.

There were 3 Super Condors built, they where almost 2000lbs lighter,sat 5' higher in the water and didn't have the core problems. After the first 3 boats were built they were jobed out to two different builders. The core problems were due to a lack of resin on the inside of the hulls and bad hatches.These first 3 boats where built in house for the OSTAR.Notice the light chop,this is about a 6 knot breeze and she flys. The compression posts also need to be reinforced. The super Condors are race boats with two huge berths! they are underAttached File  condor2_026.JPG   146.48K   88 downloadsvalued due to the other Condors. Hull # 21 is a one off and I have no inside info on it. Each Condor needs to be valued seperately

#32 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Here's a classic 40' trimaran, did the Route du Rhum in 1992 with David Scully, and i am sure you will have fun going fast ;) http://www.multisail...f.php?ref=27710

#33 PIL007

PIL007

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars-Fast Boats-Fast Woman and Beer

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thats a lot of boat $100,000 but hardly a cruiser...Shame it would cost over $50,000 to ship to oz

#34 motorcat

motorcat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:any

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

www.tnt34.com

#35 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:25 AM

Other than F boats or Dragonflies most everything is going to be custom and many would've had some racing past. having said that that might make for relatively low prices as you can see but you'll have to search far and wide to find something already built. What kind of cruising are you talking about? Coastal, blue water light, blue water with washing machines, island hopping in the Caribbean?

#36 trispirit

trispirit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Sssssailing fast!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

Why not Sail it? Would be an awesome trip all downhill from there and she looks like
she'd cover the miles fast and easily.

Thats a lot of boat $100,000 but hardly a cruiser...Shame it would cost over $50,000 to ship to oz

#37 auscat

auscat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

Why not Sail it? Would be an awesome trip all downhill from there and she looks like

If you bought something like that in Europe which way would you sail it back to Aus?

Through either canal or sail down the coast of Africa?

#38 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

current conversion rate 59,000 Euros is about $72000 AUD and similar in USD not sure about import charges some F40's demount into a 40' container it doesnt look like this one does but could be worth checking. You would have to unsplice and rejoin the mast to fit in the container if you wanted to freight rather than sail it back.

#39 TornadoSail2016

TornadoSail2016

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

http://www.multihull...ils.asp?id=4142
I do not know if it is still there, but having helped build the first Chris White designed Skyhook Trimaran "Skyhook" I know the design well. It is a good cruisers with nice speed.

#40 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

If you bought something like that in Europe which way would you sail it back to Aus?

Canal, and stop at every tropo island group in the south pacific along the way....... Didn't trimaraner just do the same trip?

#41 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

if you went through the suez

you'd have be on the lookout for iranian guards

and somali fishermen

#42 Dick Ishuge

Dick Ishuge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Virgin Fire

bastard child

of a

farrier - orma coupling

looks the biz

Interesting daggerboard is canted and exits behind the mast.

#43 LilMissy

LilMissy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

1328569400[/url]' post='3575788']

1328568615[/url]' post='3575772']

At the high end of the ladder is the PT-11 from Aquidneck Custom. Go for the taller rig version. I race on a Corsair 37 Carbon. I would not recomend it unless you plan to do a lot of after purchase repairs and streangthening to the boat. Too bad as the design and concept are great.

I looked up the PT11 thanks. It is built in the states and looks the part. Really cool blog about the build,( the quality looks to be incredible) linked to the web site www.performancemultuhulls.com the price is not inexpensive but less than a dragonfly and it is a 6000 # boat not a 12000# boat.. Has anyone sailed one yet, or seen one around?

#44 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

I looked up the PT11 thanks. It is built in the states and looks the part. Really cool blog about the build,( the quality looks to be incredible) linked to the web site www.performancemultuhulls.com the price is not inexpensive but less than a dragonfly and it is a 6000 # boat not a 12000# boat.. Has anyone sailed one yet, or seen one around?

Was at the Annapolis show this year. Nice boat and nice guys. First tri I thought I might have a chance to get my wife to agree to go cruising on! I like the second generation version.

#45 northernrainbow

northernrainbow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:04 AM

Scout a Walter Green 39' trimaran has been for sail and advertised in the New England multihull newslatter. great racer cruiser, composite hulls, carbon mast. Owner moved to the midwest.
Brad Johanson
Formula 40 Northern Rainbow

#46 trispirit

trispirit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Sssssailing fast!

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

For sure the easier route would be from France through to the Caribbean, through the
canal and across the Pacific. It's pretty easy with most of the journey being in the warmer
latitudes and with trade winds found most the way. Need any help drop me a line!

#47 LilMissy

LilMissy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

1329856573[/url]' post='3594345']

1329854990[/url]' post='3594291']

Was at the Annapolis show this year. Nice boat and nice guys. First tri I thought I might have a chance to get my wife to agree to go cruising on! I like the second generation version.

Are you looking at it? I am going to contact the Company and see if I can visit the yard. On their Facebook page they were offering test sails, at least they were last year.. It seems some other folks have seen the boat around too. I was told It was very fast and has topped 24 knots. Version 2 looks to be even faster, lighter with more rig..

#48 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

1329856573[/url]' post='3594345']

1329854990[/url]' post='3594291']

Are you looking at it? I am going to contact the Company and see if I can visit the yard. On their Facebook page they were offering test sails, at least they were last year.. It seems some other folks have seen the boat around too. I was told It was very fast and has topped 24 knots. Version 2 looks to be even faster, lighter with more rig..

More long term than short term. We sold our big cruising boats when the kids went to school and right now they are in middle and high school. So for now we are sticking to our F27 and doing more daysailing and occasional racing. Long term it could be on the list.

#49 hump101

hump101

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Naval Architecture structural engineering, speedsailing, offshore racing

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

For sure the easier route would be from France through to the Caribbean, through the
canal and across the Pacific. It's pretty easy with most of the journey being in the warmer
latitudes and with trade winds found most the way. Need any help drop me a line!

I viewed this boat at the weekend. The mast is a two-piece so the whole boat will go into a 40' container.

#50 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Prolly thru the Panama Canal as it's probably the shortest and easiest. Suez leads to Pirate infested waters (and head winds I think) in the Red Sea. Around the Cape of Good Hope would be doable but the roaring 40s are nothing to fuck with and the St Helena high can add a lot of distance.

Would a 40ft boat fit in a 40 ft container?

#51 Corley

Corley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

Normally the formula 40's (if they were demountable) were just a touch under 40' to facilitate container transport you might have to make a shipping cradle to hold the hulls and mast solidly in the container though. Its handy that it has a two piece mast would make the shipping procedure much easier.

#52 hump101

hump101

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Naval Architecture structural engineering, speedsailing, offshore racing

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

Normally the formula 40's (if they were demountable) were just a touch under 40' to facilitate container transport you might have to make a shipping cradle to hold the hulls and mast solidly in the container though. Its handy that it has a two piece mast would make the shipping procedure much easier.

That seems to be the case here, as it is actually 39'5" long according to the spec.

#53 WYD_Dave

WYD_Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Sailing in general, scuba diving, long distance sailboat racing, drag racing (also a lifelong gear head but prefer internal combustion stay on land)

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hello,

I am the designer of the PT11 and PT11R. Curently Three Little Birds (PT11 #1) is at Aquidneck Custom so readily available for viewing. Unfortunately this means no test sails for a bit. I was just up from St. Croix (where I am based) last weekend (designed a little kit stitch and glue dinghy for TLB and we cut and built the prototype at ACC) and checked her out. She was getting a few mods like any boat, big one is an improved anchor roller that Bill Koffler (owner of Aquidneck Custom) came up with as we found we needed something a bit more than the original setup for short handed cruising.

Boat sails fantastic, very balanced. I was on her when we went 24 knots, and multiple times we have hit 20 knots. One of the things she does very well is cruise in the mid to high teens with little effort. When we took her to the Annapolis Boat Show we went the long way around the Cape May shoals, all the way to Lewes, basically where the ferry comes out. 4 hours later we were at the C&D Canal. We made a nice hot lunch along the way, the boat was sailing so well. Three of us brought her down: myself, Bill, and Kevin, one of his work crew who had never been on a long sailing trip. Bill and I brought her back, no problems.

The large amas are one of the outstanding features. They give the design both power and safety while pressed hard or in really rough weather.

A fast, comfortable cruising tri is exactly what the PT11 design was intended to be. The 11R is developed from what we learned from Three Little Birds. I added the taller rig to help with the light air performance (which is still very good on TLB). The interior was simplified both layout and equipment wise. The boat is one piece, not demountable, which saves weight, cost and allows longer curved mainsheet traveler. The cockpit was redesigned to a more open version, and I took 100mm of freeboard out of the main hull, for weight, windage and cost reasons.

Either version can be configured to whatever you need interior wise. Each boat is built to order so within reason whatever changes you desire can be incorporated. The main structure locations (main bulkhead, beams, board trunk) of course are fixed but within them we can move things around as desired.

One thing to remember about the diesel inboard versus gas outboard is that the weight of the inboard is much closer to the center of the boat compared to an outboard on the stern. Works much better in a seaway, too. The weight of these new small diesels is not too far away from an outboard, along with the safer fuel and greater range per gallon, there is the better charging capacity and potential for direct hot water heat etc.

The owner of Three Little Birds is thrilled with her, which in the end is the most important part.

Here is the video up Delaware Bay:

Off New York the day before, also cooking lunch at the same time (Bill is an excellent cook):

Best regards, Dave Walworth

walworthdesigns.com

#54 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Looks like a great boat but the price isn't exactly reachable by many of us, myself included :(

#55 Savoyard

Savoyard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive,sailing,boat building,reading.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Faamu Sami is for sale too, at a silly low price considering what she cost to build. Been on her, sailed next to her, pretty remarkable one-off as well. Set up to singlehand with wife and small kids... at 2x wind speed.

Virgin Fire is still sweet, I remember the first time I saw her was going through the CC canal and I almost snapped my neck trying to get a good look.

On a more practical note, I know the owner of a certain Newick Tricia that is eager to sell. I'm quite familiar with the boat and would encourage someone who likes that design to pursue this one in particular.

Was Virgin Fire Joe Colpitt's boat or am I getting mixed up?

#56 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Was Virgin Fire Joe Colpitt's boat or am I getting mixed up?

None other!

#57 B30

B30

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

The Corsair 37CR sailing from Stamford Ct to Block Island at a leisurely 16 to 18 knots. The leg took only a little more than 6 hours with bursts of 22knots+ at times in Block Island Sound under jib and reefed main. In this size, speed and cruisablility I only know of this boat and the PT11. The PT11 is vastly superior in build quality, but is more expensive. In long run the PT11 would be a better tradeoff if you can swing it.

#58 Multihauler

Multihauler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

The Corsair 37CR sailing from Stamford Ct to Block Island at a leisurely 16 to 18 knots.

B30-Is this the same Corsair 37CR that is now on San Francisco Bay?

Cheers!!!

-MH

#59 WYD_Dave

WYD_Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Sailing in general, scuba diving, long distance sailboat racing, drag racing (also a lifelong gear head but prefer internal combustion stay on land)

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Looks like a great boat but the price isn't exactly reachable by many of us, myself included :(

Thanks, she really is.

One thing to remember is the price does include a full set of Quantum laminated sails: main, jib, screacher, asymmetrical chute.

Hey, I can't afford one either so come on people, get out there and buy a bunch so I can:)

#60 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Understand and agree, but I've seen the boat and the finish and detailing is absolutely first class- meaning the boat offers good value even if it is not a bargain.

#61 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Understand and agree, but I've seen the boat and the finish and detailing is absolutely first class- meaning the boat offers good value even if it is not a bargain.

Tucks,

You talking about the birdie or Faamu Sami, or both? They came came through your neck of the woods so was not sure which one you were referencing.

Wess
(still west coast dreamin)

#62 B30

B30

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

The Corsair 37CR sailing from Stamford Ct to Block Island at a leisurely 16 to 18 knots.

B30-Is this the same Corsair 37CR that is now on San Francisco Bay?

Cheers!!!

-MH

No. It isn't. They both do have those same dumb stripes on the sails though!. The one I sail on, Milk and Honey III, is actualy at WYD_Dave's shop in Brisotl, RI (builder of the PT11) getting some major repairs and modifications. We wil be racing out of the Newport, RI area this summer.

If anyone knows the boat in this vid in SF, I would love to get in touch him. PM me.

#63 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Tucks,

You talking about the birdie or Faamu Sami, or both? They came came through your neck of the woods so was not sure which one you were referencing.

Wess

Sorry, I was referring to Three Little Birds, which I toured a year ago. I didn't sail her.

I have sailed on Faamu Sami. She was built by Maine Cat and is nicely built. Very plain level of finish, actually more my style- "an appliance for sailing". My understanding is she is a cut down Kurt Hughes design, meaning shortened so she is like an ORMA 60- seriously wide and powerful, but not light for her weight. A very strong light air boat but a handful in a breeze- a lot of mast on a short hull . . . . . just like an ORMA 60:-)

#64 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:07 AM

Tucks,

Wess

Sorry, I was referring to Three Little Birds, which I toured a year ago. I didn't sail her.

I have sailed on Faamu Sami. She was built by Maine Cat and is nicely built. Very plain level of finish, actually more my style- "an appliance for sailing". My understanding is she is a cut down Kurt Hughes design, meaning shortened so she is like an ORMA 60- seriously wide and powerful, but not light for her weight. A very strong light air boat but a handful in a breeze- a lot of mast on a short hull . . . . . just like an ORMA 60:-)

I agree w you on birds. Saw her at the show. Nice build quality

But what are you sipping on up there? FS being "not light for her weight." Got a smile from me on that one. I like Kurt's boats, Dick and the other folks that handles the build are respected and my wife would actually be OK with the level of the finish, and it would be fin in the Chesapeake air but still... a bit racey for this old man, and pricey for what she can do.

I am starting to think when I am done with the F27, I need an Atlantic 42 with a Snipe in the davits.

Wess

#65 condor40

condor40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing, sailing :)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

There were 3 Super Condors built, they where almost 2000lbs lighter,sat 5' higher in the water and didn't have the core problems. After the first 3 boats were built they were jobed out to two different builders. The core problems were due to a lack of resin on the inside of the hulls and bad hatches.These first 3 boats where built in house for the OSTAR.Notice the light chop,this is about a 6 knot breeze and she flys. The compression posts also need to be reinforced. The super Condors are race boats with two huge berths! they are underAttached File  condor2_026.JPG   146.48K   88 downloadsvalued due to the other Condors. Hull # 21 is a one off and I have no inside info on it. Each Condor needs to be valued seperately

As a very happy, longtime Condor 40 owner, I'd like to clear up a few mis-perceptions on the Condor 40's. First, there is no such thing as a "Super Condor." All the boats are pretty much the same, with some minor variations in weight because 4 different builders built the boats (Condor Limited assembled them). Only 2 boats had ama core issues, because the boats sat for several years with condensation, etc. causing the amas to have a lot of standing water.

Also, for a racing boat built in the mid-80's, Condors are not "heavy" boats. They were all built with vinylester resin. They will do 9 kts upwind in 12 knts of breeze. Crack off a bit and you're flying. I've routinely hit low to mid 20's when it's blowing 30-35, with full sail, no surfing, no spinn. And the boat's as stable as a sidewalk.

Cruising: 2 people or 2 peeps with small kids can comfortably cruise the boat (we cruised to the Exumas). There's not a ton of room below, it's like a roomy loft space. But you spend all your time outside once you're down-island anyways. And there are 2 berths that are as big as a double-bed. You sleep really well.

Sailing: I did a double-handed transat on a Condor 40 -- 6 months after the boat had just crossed to Europe. 30 days, 6000 miles, and we didn't break anything. The boats are solid, fun, fast, affordable boats.

And, 25 years later, they still look damned cool. You don't see ordinary people taking photos of Corsairs or Gunboats, but you'll see a lot of people whipping out camera phones when they see a Condor -- even when the boats are sitting at the dock :)

#66 Fuller

Fuller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, football, family.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

There,s the perfect boat for sale Victoria. F9RX "SKIPS" Sail the oceans, trailer to the Tropics and reasonably priced. Has a toilet,shower and goes fast if you want.

#67 joey g

joey g

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

As a very happy, longtime Condor 40 owner, I'd like to clear up a few mis-perceptions on the Condor 40's. First, there is no such thing as a "Super Condor." All the boats are pretty much the same, with some minor variations in weight because 4 different builders built the boats (Condor Limited assembled them). Only 2 boats had ama core issues, because the boats sat for several years with condensation, etc. causing the amas to have a lot of standing water.

Also, for a racing boat built in the mid-80's, Condors are not "heavy" boats. They were all built with vinylester resin. They will do 9 kts upwind in 12 knts of breeze. Crack off a bit and you're flying. I've routinely hit low to mid 20's when it's blowing 30-35, with full sail, no surfing, no spinn. And the boat's as stable as a sidewalk.

Cruising: 2 people or 2 peeps with small kids can comfortably cruise the boat (we cruised to the Exumas). There's not a ton of room below, it's like a roomy loft space. But you spend all your time outside once you're down-island anyways. And there are 2 berths that are as big as a double-bed. You sleep really well.

Sailing: I did a double-handed transat on a Condor 40 -- 6 months after the boat had just crossed to Europe. 30 days, 6000 miles, and we didn't break anything. The boats are solid, fun, fast, affordable boats.

And, 25 years later, they still look damned cool. You don't see ordinary people taking photos of Corsairs or Gunboats, but you'll see a lot of people whipping out camera phones when they see a Condor -- even when the boats are sitting at the dock :)

Is your boat Trident that resides in Miami?

Joe

#68 gthomas72

gthomas72

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

Multihulls Direct (www.mulithullsdirect.com) will build you a brand new quality an F-32 (trimaran) or F-44 (catamaran). If you ask them real nicely they might even build F-39 even though it not listed on there website.
I have an F-85 under construction and I am very happy so far.
CheersGlynn

#69 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

there's a condor40 for sale here

#70 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

e
First off Condors other than the few defects are the best deal out there,with 28' beam I can leave the headsail out,take down the main and sail 8knots while I sleep. I have opened up the front beam on 2 Condors and the web holding the mast up was built wrong, a easy fix but the mast needs to come off and I have seen 3 that had core problems in the amas, all three were from the north where freezing added to the problem,it isn't a hard fix but to remove the core is not fun. The Super Condors were referring to the three that sat over 5" higher in the water, a Condor is fun to sail but a lightweight is (funner)

#71 Pants on Fire

Pants on Fire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

I am South African so will suggest this just recently launched 40ft Tri designed and built in Cape Town. I had a quick tour of it 2 weeks ago and it looked very good. Light and fast with some comforts down below but emphasis on above deck living and performance. Contact the owner / designer Danie, he is an enthusiast and i am sure will reply with more info

http://www.sailingan...le.php?get=9025

http://smarttri40.com/

http://www.google.co...n&client=safari

#72 jkdubs808

jkdubs808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts
  • Interests:Sportboats and offshore supply vessels......and bow girls.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

I've been doing research on the Condor 40s, they look like good boats. How do they handle open ocean conditions? I'm looking at doing some major cruising down the road and I am one to do mass amounts if research before deciding on which route to take. The Contour 50s look nice but may be out if the budget. However, a Cobdor 40 with some small re-fits interior wise could do the trick for me, the girl and possibly a few kids.

Looking for info on how seaworthy they really are, or perhaps other tris I should be looking at for future blue water cruising in the 40-45 foot range.

#73 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I am South African so will suggest this just recently launched 40ft Tri designed and built in Cape Town. I had a quick tour of it 2 weeks ago and it looked very good. Light and fast with some comforts down below but emphasis on above deck living and performance. Contact the owner / designer Danie, he is an enthusiast and i am sure will reply with more info

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/article.php?get=9025

http://smarttri40.com/

http://www.google.co.za/search?q=smart+tri+40&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

There are a number of features that I really like, but the aesthetics... :huh: All those squared shapes and hard edges, that's one unattractive boat...

#74 multihull

multihull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Racing multihulls, cruising on multihulls & sailing on multihulls that can actually sail.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

How about a very well proven Aussie design by the famous Lock Crowther: http://www.multihull...er-40-trimaran/

#75 jimbojones

jimbojones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

How about a very well proven Aussie design by the famous Lock Crowther: http://www.multihull...er-40-trimaran/

Crowther boats age very gracefully in my opinion. Even the old ones still look nice

#76 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

I've been doing research on the Condor 40s, they look like good boats. How do they handle open ocean conditions? I'm looking at doing some major cruising down the road and I am one to do mass amounts if research before deciding on which route to take. The Contour 50s look nice but may be out if the budget. However, a Cobdor 40 with some small re-fits interior wise could do the trick for me, the girl and possibly a few kids.

Looking for info on how seaworthy they really are, or perhaps other tris I should be looking at for future blue water cruising in the 40-45 foot range.

. Go charter one and see for yourself

#77 txseeadler

txseeadler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

The one here in Port Isabel is for sale by the owner - she looks cool - but assume this thread went cold - in case someone has interrest here is the listing link:
http://www.sailboatl....com/view/33486

Save flying low

#78 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

there is a new posting on you tube for a Condor 40 under sail, look up ( Condor trimaran partnership) Nothing will outsail it for the money at $65k I will post on SA

#79 txseeadler

txseeadler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

65 for the partnership ( any details ) while 75 get's the whole boat without any strings attached - not sure what is the better deal ....?

there is a new posting on you tube for a Condor 40 under sail, look up ( Condor trimaran partnership) Nothing will outsail it for the money at $65k I will post on SA

#80 sreiz

sreiz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Multihulls and red wines

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

The first two T-29, folding all carbon tris with comfortable interior have now started building. First boat will be sailing end of spring.

#81 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

The first two T-29, folding all carbon tris with comfortable interior have now started building. First boat will be sailing end of spring.

?? MOre info please. Maybe a link?

Does not seem to have been mentioned in this thread, and all Google could find searching for carbon t-29 trimaran was the changmei ripoff 29...

#82 sreiz

sreiz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

You're absolutely correct. Progress reports will appear, web site not operational until the first two boats have been test sailed. T stands for Törnblom, Swedish multihull designer (Seaon 96 and others). Stay tuned!

#83 Strategery

Strategery

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

And, 25 years later, they still look damned cool. You don't see ordinary people taking photos of Corsairs or Gunboats, but you'll see a lot of people whipping out camera phones when they see a Condor -- even when the boats are sitting at the dock Posted Image

Nice writeup... These were the first tri's I ever lusted after as I was sailing my J/105...

#84 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

You're absolutely correct. Progress reports will appear, web site not operational until the first two boats have been test sailed. T stands for Törnblom, Swedish multihull designer (Seaon 96 and others). Stay tuned!

I always liked the Seaon 96, a lot.

#85 sreiz

sreiz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

If you liked the Seaon you will love the T-29. Lighter, roomier and easier to build, hence much cheaper.

#86 Danie COlyn

Danie COlyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Multihull Sailing

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

SmartTri40
www.smarttri40.com

#87 Oxygen Mask

Oxygen Mask

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,672 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

SmartTri40
www.smarttri40.com

Building a trimaran out of a used shipping container! What a cool idea, how Green, recpurposing and all.

(That is about the oddest combination of mismatched shapes and styles... Looks just wrong from every angle...)

#88 sreiz

sreiz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Oxygen Mask! Send me your mail and I'll forward some illustrations of the T-29. Cheers Sebastian

#89 AClass USA 230

AClass USA 230

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

And, 25 years later, they still look damned cool. You don't see ordinary people taking photos of Corsairs or Gunboats, but you'll see a lot of people whipping out camera phones when they see a Condor -- even when the boats are sitting at the dock :)/>

Glad to hear the great report about your Condor. Not sure about your last comment. I own a Corsair Sprint 750 and I get the opportunity to race on a Gunboat annually and both boats seem to be very attractive and interesting to Joe Public. Corsair builds a solid product, cannot beat them for the price and the current management seems committed to better quality and marketing. I hope they prosper.

#90 eladio

eladio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:sail

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hi, my name is Eladio, i´am new in te forum, and I ´am looking for a 40 kurt hughes trimaran. Any body know about this boat?

Tanks!!

Eladio

#91 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:14 AM

Hi, my name is Eladio, i´am new in te forum, and I ´am looking for a 40 kurt hughes trimaran. Any body know about this boat?
Tanks!!
Eladio

The boat in question has been sold to Holland about a year ago.

#92 eladio

eladio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:sail

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:19 AM

Tanks!!
Eladio

Tank you Trovao!! Gecko? the Kurt own boat?

#93 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Tanks!!
Eladio

Tank you Trovao!! Gecko? the Kurt own boat?

yeah. if memory serves me,the guy who bought it posted here somnewhere.

if you take the time to search maybe you'll find the topic.

edit:

found something on kurt's blog.

http://multihullblog...ecko-sightings/

http://multihullblog...ko-comes-apart/

http://multihullblog...t-gecko-moving/

http://multihullblog...stop-rotterdam/

Edited by Trov„o, 29 August 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#94 mortenb

mortenb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Does anyone know what happened to the T-29 mentioned above?

#95 Chris in Hawaii

Chris in Hawaii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Caribbean cruising.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

I see several references to the Condor-40 on this tread.  And specifically to Condor build #21.  I happen to own #21. I purchased it last fall and sailed her from MA to the Chesapeake where she is wintering over at the Georgetown Yacht Basin.  She is a wonderful tri and I can't wait to get back east this summer to continue the adventure.  If you are curious about this particular boat please feel free to contact by phone/text at 808-seven-seven-two-2133 in Hawaii.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users