108 replies to this topic

#101 sreiz

sreiz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Multihulls and red wines

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

T29 now going into production after one year of test sailing and some modifications.

Attached Files

#102 EarthBM

EarthBM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

With the soft wing main?

#103 SeaGul

SeaGul

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Fast multis and bikes and...

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

T29 now going into production after one year of test sailing and some modifications.

Looking very good there.

But how are the loads when a gennaker is used ? There must be som bigger loads on the mainsheet to keep the for stay as straight as possible? 

And the area of the wingsail - compared to the normal sail? 

#104 wjquigs

wjquigs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

For those with time constraints and no access to side-tie, there seems to be no alternative to Dragonflies. Just a practical observation. On any given weekend the effort of rigging/launching your tri from the dry means you just pass on sailing 2/3rds of the time (or 95% in my lazy experience). So in relative terms your cost per sailing day is 3x greater. I haven't had experience with keeping the boat on a mooring, but the logistics seems to be somewhere half-way between slips and dry launch. This only matters for those with jobs / kids / or other time constraints, not a sexy subject in comparison to glory days in racing or epic offshore passages.

I totally agree with your rigging/launching point: you just won't sail the boat as much if it's not easy to sail.  I dry sailed (mast up) my Farrier, and now that I use an Airdock, I sail a lot more frequently.  I can occupy a standard-width slip, get the boat sailing in 15 minutes, and not have antifouling paint halfway up my float sides.  No antifouling at all, actually.  No annual haulout, no grinding last year's paint and barnacles off the bottom, and it actually makes docking a lot easier.

Bill

#105 alpha

alpha

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

I've got a Corsair 24 in Connecticut that I don't use nearly enough. It could easily be for sale if someone is looking for one. 

#106 gthomas72

gthomas72

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

I totally agree with your rigging/launching point: you just won't sail the boat as much if it's not easy to sail.  I dry sailed (mast up) my Farrier, and now that I use an Airdock, I sail a lot more frequently.  I can occupy a standard-width slip, get the boat sailing in 15 minutes, and not have antifouling paint halfway up my float sides.  No antifouling at all, actually.  No annual haulout, no grinding last year's paint and barnacles off the bottom, and it actually makes docking a lot easier.

Bill

Bill,

What size Farrier do you have in you air dock? I am wondering if it is possible to put a F33 in an air dock. It would certainly take away a lot of maintenance and the cost of the dock would be offset but the savings on a single berth.

Cheers
Glynn

#107 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

Bill

Bill,

What size Farrier do you have in you air dock? I am wondering if it is possible to put a F33 in an air dock. It would certainly take away a lot of maintenance and the cost of the dock would be offset but the savings on a single berth.

Cheers
Glynn

A seapen would also work. We have one for our 40' mono, so they could surely make one up for an F33

#108 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

Bill

Bill,

Cheers
Glynn

An air dock or Hydro Hoist will work fine with an F-33. You can see an F-31 using one at:

http://www.f-boat.co...es/docking.html

Works very well, plus the option of easy trailering anywhere is still retained.

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs that work

#109 sreiz

sreiz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Multihulls and red wines

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

The softwing is reef-able and the surface is 51 sqm for just under 1200 kg sailing weight. the wing area is identical to the combined main and jib areas on the standard rigged boat. Using a screecher does not increase wing sheet tension since backstays are used. The boat is too quick for a gennaker, we use a code 0 instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users