• Please log in to reply
1732 replies to this topic

#1101 loca

loca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Actually, Eric, (just in case you really are clueless), ignore the request above. It would be BAD to supply this info, Eric.

#1102 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

That would be bad, mm'kay?

#1103 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Gotta work hard to get that kind of recognizably.

I'm certain many college sailors frequent this pit and the recognition you seek will come back to bite you at events. You reap what you sow. Wear a flak jacket.

dont worry that that school doesnt get into any big events anyways

#1104 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Folks, you just can't make this stuff up!

#1105 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm certain many college sailors frequent this pit and the recognition you seek will come back to bite you at events. You reap what you sow. Wear a flak jacket.

dont worry that that school doesnt get into any big events anyways

Now, here we have yet another example of the academic achievement of today's youth....

#1106 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

I anguished over replying to the thread but this did it. It hurt my eyes.

You want recognition? That is obviously what is driving you however is going to backfire explosively when you begin school. DO NOT "boast" to others that you are the star of a popular thread on the world's largest sailing website. If they come here, see your posts and even worse, your lameass photos, they might prejudge you to be the character you represent on this thread. That would be a grievous error.

I'm not so sure about "lameass," as I really liked him showing his arms. Arms like that belong in a museum! I thought that pic was more on the interesting side of the continuum, rather than on the "lameass" side.

The sailing pic was full-on lame. The pic of the chick was, well, interesting in that it was clear that she had a total disdane of NtY. And then there was the "Little Rascals" style 'do of NtY (having said that, it does detract from - and not complement - his arms. Other than those points, that pic was also generally lame.

Having said that, I would be interested in other viewpoints.

#1107 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Personal guess, the thread will be no big deal for NtY with regard to anyone who asks him about it: he could simply answer with "I was jerking their chains and having fun," and that probably would mostly put the matter to bed.

The difficulty, but probably no great deal of it, will come with other students snickering behind his back and never providing him the opportunity to say something such as the above.

However, it's easy enough to have a "who cares" attitude about such consequences, and I recommend it compared to worrying too much about what every single person in the background may think.

I don't think it will turn up on a later date when applying for a job, etc. Nor would it likely be much of an issue if discovered after being hired. "Idiocy of youf" is sufficient explanation.

#1108 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:ummmm Sailing

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Really it would be bad to provide that information on the open web for everyone to see? Never would have guessed! -___-

#1109 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Personal guess, the thread will be no big deal for NtY with regard to anyone who asks him about it: he could simply answer with "I was jerking their chains and having fun," and that probably would mostly put the matter to bed.

The difficulty, but probably no great deal of it, will come with other students snickering behind his back and never providing him the opportunity to say something such as the above.

However, it's easy enough to have a "who cares" attitude about such consequences, and I recommend it compared to worrying too much about what every single person in the background may think.

I don't think it will turn up on a later date when applying for a job, etc. Nor would it likely be much of an issue if discovered after being hired. "Idiocy of youf" is sufficient explanation.

Yeah, he could dismiss this as chain yanking, but then when everyone realizes the real nature of his intellect, they will come to believe that NtY is, indeed, NtY living life large.

#1110 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

There is that.

#1111 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

Really it would be bad to provide that information on the open web for everyone to see? Never would have guessed! -___-

Btw, as serious "life lesson" advice that I am 100% confident is accurate and important:

Unless simply having money given to us by parties who don't care about what we do or how we do it (parents perhaps, or a lottery ticket), how we do in life depends greatly on how we are perceived. It is not only based on what we actually do or what we actually may be inside. And I am not talking only about money earned, though that is profoundly affected by how we are perceived.

Human beings in general, and by in general I mean probably 99% or more, just can't help but judge and judge profoundly based on a person's speech, and if seeing their writing, on their writing. A person can have all the information in the world that another person is smart and accomplished, but inability to put sentences together correctly or inability to speak well will completely override that, instantly, at some deep level in his or her brain.

It's just how it is.

Improving how you are perceived in these ways will vastly improve what you receive and experience in life.

#1112 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Ah, a philosopher!

Probably all is lost on NtY. I'm not sure where we failed him. Certainly a lot of folks went out of their way to give great advice, most of which was rather consistent (unusual for SA?).

Can you imagine, after all this, NtY selected the most mediocre school he was accepted into, and persists in screwing around on FJs? Oh, the shame! The horror of it all!

WTF?

I feel like I was used.

#1113 Knotcho

Knotcho

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Poker, Music

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Btw, as serious "life lesson" advice that I am 100% confident is accurate and important:

Unless simply having money given to us by parties who don't care about we do or have done or how we do it (parents perhaps, or a lottery ticket) how we do in life, and not just for money, depends greatly on how we are perceived. It is not only based on what we actually do or what we actually may be inside.

Human beings in general, and by in general I mean probably 99% or more, just can't help but judge and judge profoundly based on a person's speech, and if seeing their writing, on their writing.

It's just how it is.

Improving how you are perceived in these ways will improve what you receive and experience in life.

it could be too late for him now. at least on SA

#1114 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Unless simply having money given to us by parties who don't care about what we do or how we do it (parents perhaps, or a lottery ticket), how we do in life depends greatly on how we are perceived. It is not only based on what we actually do or what we actually may be inside. And I am not talking only about money earned, though that is profoundly affected by how we are perceived.

Human beings in general, and by in general I mean probably 99% or more, just can't help but judge and judge profoundly based on a person's speech, and if seeing their writing, on their writing. A person can have all the information in the world that another person is smart and accomplished, but inability to put sentences together correctly or inability to speak well will completely override that, instantly, at some deep level in his or her brain.

It's just how it is.

Improving how you are perceived in these ways will vastly improve what you receive and experience in life.

I couldn't agree more.

HW

#1115 RumLine

RumLine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

It's just how it is.

I completely agree, well said.

#1116 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

I agree

#1117 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Someone mark the calendar: since when have there been 3 posts in a row on SA agreeing with each other? :)

#1118 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

I agree

No, you don't.

#1119 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

I agree

No, you don't.

Okay, guess I don't.

#1120 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

I believe that what DoRag could be suggesting is that your actions don't show you to believe this.

#1121 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

I guess that could be possible.

#1122 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Anything could be possible.

#1123 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

If you put your mind to it.

#1124 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

If you put your mind to it.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Just say no. Free my people.

#1125 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Well, to put it simply: I think you've been amply advised and at this point you are just milking this thread poorly and boringly. Earlier it was entertaining; now it has gotten old.

You seem a good kid, certainly amiable and able to go with the jokes, which many can't, and you're enthusiastic about sailing though your decisions there may be poor -- building earning capacity for your lifetime would likely do far more for your sailing than putting so much effort into college sailing, and there would be many options you could pursue other than a college team. But it's your life.

You're out to waste a fairly spectacular amount of money compared to going to a local community college, representing 100% of several years of your likely earnings after graduation, and getting no added gain for this added expenditure. But it's your parents' money and you obviously don't care. Most kids don't: it would be too overwhelming to actually process what our parents do for us, so it's natural for a teenager to completely dissociate from it.

Good luck, best of outcomes, I mean it sincerely.

But now you're boring me, so goodbye on this thread, which seems to be your only participation on SA.

#1126 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Actually I have started other threads on this site :)

#1127 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

Wowser!

#1128 loca

loca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Just as I figured. Sock puppetry.

#1129 Punani Jackson

Punani Jackson

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, booze and easy women.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Just as I figured. Sock puppetry.

To NtY's defense he did start a worthless rules question thread. Aside from that I don't recall him even posting to any other threads. Actually, I've never even seen him lurking in any other threads. He's supposed to be a sailor, correct? Maybe he's just not interested in anything that's not NtY-related.

#1130 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Well, to put it simply: I think you've been amply advised and at this point you are just milking this thread poorly and boringly. Earlier it was entertaining; now it has gotten old.

You seem a good kid, certainly amiable and able to go with the jokes, which many can't, and you're enthusiastic about sailing though your decisions there may be poor -- building earning capacity for your lifetime would likely do far more for your sailing than putting so much effort into college sailing, and there would be many options you could pursue other than a college team. But it's your life.

You're out to waste a fairly spectacular amount of money compared to going to a local community college, representing 100% of several years of your likely earnings after graduation, and getting no added gain for this added expenditure. But it's your parents' money and you obviously don't care. Most kids don't: it would be too overwhelming to actually process what our parents do for us, so it's natural for a teenager to completely dissociate from it.

Good luck, best of outcomes, I mean it sincerely.

But now you're boring me, so goodbye on this thread, which seems to be your only participation on SA.

I understand, and share, your frustration with NtY.

However, the messages here are more intended for all the other youngsters that read SA and are at a similar, or earlier stage in life. You will note that some responders even attended (or were attending UNH)! my point is that our message was, indeed, resonating - if not with NtY, then others.

While we are not their parents, they can benefit from this discussion - in more ways than one. I also think some parents might benefit from this advice. Obviously NtY has had little positive guidance in his life - or he seeks to ignore it - the irony being he will use his parents money as he sees fit. Therein lies the problem!

While meandering about Barnes & Noble yeaterday, I came across a book entitled - The New Reality of College Education (Admissions?). The points made in the reference were identical to what most were saying on this thread. Amusing, ironic, pathetic!

So, keep in mind that, whilst NtY might just be W's child left behind, there are other folks who have benefitted from your points.

#1131 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

I hope so. It's possible, and it would be a worthwhile outcome. A lot of us mostly just entertain ourselves here, but sometimes good can be accomplished in the process as well.

#1132 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

How NtY must feel having gotten involved with SA:

Posted Image

#1133 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Notte siurre he undestande the compairissone. :)

#1134 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

That was some good pie tho XD

#1135 wastedandwounded

wastedandwounded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

It looks like dung and your inability to distinguish between cow pie and cherry pie speaks volumes about your problems.

#1136 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Say what you want, I still say that was some good pie.

#1137 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Jeebers!

Hey, Nimrod the Younger, did you read the book I referenced earlier?

#1138 PurpleOnion

PurpleOnion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

Say what you want, I still say that was some good pie.

Good god you're pathetic.

#1139 PurpleOnion

PurpleOnion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

Notte siurre he undestande the compairissone. :)

Agreed. Not sure he understands much of anything.

#1140 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

They should've used a glass plate.

HW

#1141 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

or not

#1142 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

or not

Or so.

#1143 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

213 posts in this thread. you really need to get a life

#1144 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

No, to have counted them means that you need a life.

#1145 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

Minte ti saye thate..... :)

#1146 isma

isma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

You do know that it only takes a few clicks on this site to find out how many posts you have made on any thread? No? Who helped you log in?

#1147 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

counted them? ha, no not so much

ps-- youre awfully preachy for someone that clearly doesnt even possess basic tech skills

#1148 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

You do know that it only takes a few clicks on this site to find out how many posts you have made on any thread? No? Who helped you log in?

i bet his dumbass doesnt even know that we can block signatures at the bottom of posts either. thank god for that, that feature was made to help us cope with losers like dorag, dawoody, etc...

#1149 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

Guess who is going to nationals!also first in B fleet :P
Results

#1150 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

Congratulations!! Here's your trophy:

Posted Image

#1151 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Results

For first sentence is a question, as you are asking folks to make a guess. Hence, the sentence should end with a question mark and not an exclamation mark. Additionally, your second attempt at a sentence resulted in a fragment, not a sentence. Maybe add a noun and a verb?

Next, your pride in getting a first in B fleet is not worthy of any attention. Kinda like going to Washington College. Outcomes like those are not achievments, rather, they are more your continued wallowing in mediocrity.

#1152 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Results

For first sentence is a question, as you are asking folks to make a guess. Hence, the sentence should end with a question mark and not an exclamation mark. Additionally, your second attempt at a sentence resulted in a fragment, not a sentence. Maybe add a noun and a verb?

Next, your pride in getting a first in B fleet is not worthy of any attention. Kinda like going to Washington College. Outcomes like those are not achievments, rather, they are more your continued wallowing in mediocrity.

If you even looked at the results without going strait to trash talking you would see that I won the regatta for us. Also, if you looked at the names of the teams you would see a lot of top sailing programs and even for B, not even close to easy to beat.....

#1153 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Results

If you even looked at the results without going strait to trash talking you would see that I won the regatta for us. Also, if you looked at the names of the teams you would see a lot of top sailing programs and even for B, not even close to easy to beat.....

A "strait" is a narrow body of water. And no, those are not the top ranked teams in the country. Again, more wallowing in mediocrity...

#1154 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Posted Image

#1155 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

are you serious dorag? Severn has the most national appearances out of all the teams in ISSA, also Annapolis is not that far behind. Massa is one of the most competitive leagues in ISSA, so get your facts right Dorag.

#1156 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

are you serious dorag?
Severn has the most national appearances out of all the teams in ISSA.

What exactly are "national appearances?"

And DoRag is very serious.

#1157 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Results

high school and college sailing are two of the most overrated elements of the sport in the US. all you learn is roll tacking a tiny two person boat, with crews that have to be of a certain size. you learn nothing of boat preparation or tuning. go get yourself in a tough class where there are elements of boat prep and tuning, and more than just stock sails like a main and jib and win a few regattas and get back to us. in the mean time, yawn.

#1158 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

are you serious dorag?

Just what I said. It is the amount of times a team has gone to a national event.

#1159 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

are you serious dorag?

maybe Severn has some kids on The Voice or American Idol?

#1160 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

are you serious dorag?

maybe Severn has some kids on The Voice or American Idol?

OK, now I get it.

#1161 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Results

high school and college sailing are two of the most overrated elements of the sport in the US. all you learn is roll tacking a tiny two person boat, with crews that have to be of a certain size. you learn nothing of boat preparation or tuning. go get yourself in a tough class where there are elements of boat prep and tuning, and more than just stock sails like a main and jib and win a few regattas and get back to us. in the mean time, yawn.

THANK YOU!!!!!

#1162 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I know All-American college sailors who can't explain sail draft, rig geometry, boat prep, maneuvers any more complicated than a roll tack/gybe or anything to do with sailing that isn't a windward leeward.

#1163 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Results

i gotta say back in highschool i wouldnt have been caught dead (ok i did one highschool event) in a highschool regatta. i sailed club 420's and for the last year or two my 29er (not exactly the epitome of tuning there.... but definitely prep intensive). when i got to college i initially wasnt going to sail because i still had that snide attitude towards sailing a dumbed-down version of an already dumbed-down boat. but, 3years later im happy i've done it. No where else will you be able to practice four days a week in a 12-18 boat fleet where half the practices are like 2hr regattas, and then race nearly every weekend. The amount of time on the water is great. I also get to sail with and against some of the best dinghy racers in the country, who have proved themselves both in and outside of collegiate sailing. Now i would never go to a school because of its sailing team - although the team and the school's proximity to other places to go sailing did have an influence, but if the opportunity is there you (not you erWhateverthe fuck, i mean the proverbial "you") should take it. Sunseeker just sounds like he was a shitty helm or a fat crew. I was in a fleet this past weekend, 18-20 boats, and at the top mark we were separated by maybe 21boat lengths and 25 by the bottom mark. yes the beat was short, but it was a long downwind since it was a trapezoid course. Yes sailing on a varsity team requires better time management - not a strong suit of mine, but i think anyone that is in college and taking 15credits without doing a sport should be smacked and told they have to take 18credits. The amount of free time you have when sailing isnt in session is just astounding...

Wes, you've never talked to any of the all-american's on this team. it was a good effort though. I dont know any good college racers that havent proved themselves in other classes, including keelboats which we all know to you is the only test of whether someone knows how to sail. You tried out for the team and got cut, are you saying that you would have walked off if you had been let on because no one on the team is good enough for you?

#1164 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I know All-American college sailors who can't explain sail draft, rig geometry, boat prep, maneuvers any more complicated than a roll tack/gybe or anything to do with sailing that isn't a windward leeward.

I know an All American sailor that works at MacDonalds.

#1165 wastedandwounded

wastedandwounded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I know an All American sailor that works at MacDonalds.

Does he assemble burgers or drop fries? For which do you think NtY is better suited?

#1166 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

Results

i gotta say back in highschool i wouldnt have been caught dead (ok i did one highschool event) in a highschool regatta. i sailed club 420's and for the last year or two my 29er (not exactly the epitome of tuning there.... but definitely prep intensive). when i got to college i initially wasnt going to sail because i still had that snide attitude towards sailing a dumbed-down version of an already dumbed-down boat. but, 3years later im happy i've done it. No where else will you be able to practice four days a week in a 12-18 boat fleet where half the practices are like 2hr regattas, and then race nearly every weekend. The amount of time on the water is great. I also get to sail with and against some of the best dinghy racers in the country, who have proved themselves both in and outside of collegiate sailing. Now i would never go to a school because of its sailing team - although the team and the school's proximity to other places to go sailing did have an influence, but if the opportunity is there you (not you erWhateverthe fuck, i mean the proverbial "you") should take it. Sunseeker just sounds like he was a shitty helm or a fat crew. I was in a fleet this past weekend, 18-20 boats, and at the top mark we were separated by make 21boat lengths and 25 by the bottom mark. yes the beat was short, but it was a long downwind since it was a trapezoid course. Yes it requires better time management - not a strong suit of mine, but i think anyone that is in college and taking 15credits without doing a sport should be smacked and told they have to take 18credits. The amount of free time you have when sailing isnt in session is just astounding...

Wes, you've never talked to any of the all-american's on this team. it was a good effort though. I dont know any good college racers that havent proved themselves in other classes, including keelboats which we all know to you is the only test of whether someone knows how to sail. You tried out for the team and got cut, are you saying that you would have walked off if you had been let on because no one on the team is good enough for you?

Sunseeker was actually quite a competent racer!

Now, would you have been better off concentrating on achieving academic honors, getting into a great grad school and now earning enough money to buy a hot boat? Or do you prefer crewing on someone else's boat?

That aside, this is very bad advice for NtY. Obviously he has issues. If he is going to achieve anything in life, he will need to focus solely on grades and getting an education during his time in college. Unfortunately, at Washington, even honors won't mean much. And he claims to have been accepted at both UNH and Delaware, but won't go there as they are to competitive. No, NtY's prospects are not all that bright.

#1167 narecet

narecet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Posted Image

#1168 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image

Well done!

#1169 wastedandwounded

wastedandwounded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Wrong trophy. Try this one:

Attached Files

#1170 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Wrong trophy. Try this one:

Not bad for a Newbie.

Now, about some pics...

#1171 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Whatever, I am still happy, four national events in 5 years

#1172 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

And, your being happy makes me happy. Happy, happy, happy...wheee....

BTW, you might end that "sentence" with a period.

#1173 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Keep that happy thought - you'll need it when you are flipping burgers at McDonalds in a few years.

#1174 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

[quote name='mustang__1' timestamp='1335207111' post='3684394']
[quote name='sunseeker' timestamp='1335200917' post='3684251']
[quote name='er111a' timestamp='1335196254' post='3684142']
[quote name='DoRag' timestamp='1335194169' post='3684106']
[quote name='er111a' timestamp='1335152898' post='3683660']
Results
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

i gotta say back in highschool i wouldnt have been caught dead (ok i did one highschool event) in a highschool regatta. i sailed club 420's and for the last year or two my 29er (not exactly the epitome of tuning there.... but definitely prep intensive). when i got to college i initially wasnt going to sail because i still had that snide attitude towards sailing a dumbed-down version of an already dumbed-down boat. but, 3years later im happy i've done it. No where else will you be able to practice four days a week in a 12-18 boat fleet where half the practices are like 2hr regattas, and then race nearly every weekend. The amount of time on the water is great. I also get to sail with and against some of the best dinghy racers in the country, who have proved themselves both in and outside of collegiate sailing. Now i would never go to a school because of its sailing team - although the team and the school's proximity to other places to go sailing did have an influence, but if the opportunity is there you (not you erWhateverthe fuck, i mean the proverbial "you") should take it. Sunseeker just sounds like he was a shitty helm or a fat crew. I was in a fleet this past weekend, 18-20 boats, and at the top mark we were separated by maybe 21boat lengths and 25 by the bottom mark. yes the beat was short, but it was a long downwind since it was a trapezoid course. Yes sailing on a varsity team requires better time management - not a strong suit of mine, but i think anyone that is in college and taking 15credits without doing a sport should be smacked and told they have to take 18credits. The amount of free time you have when sailing isnt in session is just astounding...

[/quote]

Firstly I cut out the totally irrelevant parts of your post... which were many.

Secondly, please tell me where did I say which team this person had sailed with? Or whether it was one person at all?

As for your argument... it speaks greatly to college sailors not being able to "see the forest from the trees". Since you clearly don't have any perspective let me provide you with some. The reason the boat of choice for college sailing is the FJ/420 is that, cost and durability attributes aside, they are stupidly easy to sail... to the point where any boob can get in it and make it go. To achieve this the boats are dumbed down and simplified. Sail controls are limited, tuning is largely irrelevant, complexity is reduced and the challenging aspects of racing are removed. While this does lower the bar to be able to race the boats (as NtY has so proven) it also means that the benefits one can gain from intensive practices in those boats are limited. The amount and intensity of collegiate practices are wonderful and the talent pool is deep, I don't deny that. But there's only so much one can learn from limited boats like the FJ or Collegiate 420 in that time period and the simple nature of the boats themselves leaves a vast knowledge gap that can't be filled in college sailing because there's no way to teach it. That's why I view college sailing as flawed. Because in the end the amount that it can teach you, simply because of the nature of the competition, is limited. Those things that it can teach it teaches very well. Kinetics, starting, upwind tactics, rules... all very valuable... There's no doubt in my mind that doing close to 1,000 starts over the course of 4 years will make you a better sailor. What it doesn't prepare you for however is the world of racing outside College sailing where those skills are only a fraction of what you need to be successful simply because boats and styles of racing are not the same as they are in college. Complex sail controls and trimming, rig tune, navigation, changing sails and rounding marks simultaneously, real boat preparation, etc. These are aspects of racingwhich are not exclusive to keelboats and which college sailing on the whole doesn't (and can't) teach.

And it's not like you can say this doesn't happen. I've watched you pull out your hair as a truly accomplished college sailor failed to comprehend the function and use of a traveler... right in front of your own eyes.

As for my history...we've been over it in person. It seems however that (in a spectacular display of immaturity and lack of comprehension for the actual subject at hand) you've decided to bring it up in this discussion. I was cut from my college sailing team for the simple fact that I was too tall, too heavy and too rusty to really be competitive and the were limited available spaces could be filled by people who were either less heavy, less tall or less rusty. It's as simple as that. Thus having the level of contact I do with college sailors and college racing (constant & daily) and the perspective from other aspects of the sport has uniquely enabled me to observe and comment on how the various aspects intertwine. There's no deep superiority here, only an objective opinion born out of deep observation of the factors at play and the realities of our sport.

[quote name='er111a' timestamp='1335214734' post='3684545']
[/quote]

It took you five years to complete high school? Were you held back?

#1175 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

actually mustang, without trying to sound like i am blowing my own horn, i am most certainly not fat, and for my age am in damn good shape. I can, and do, helm a wide variety of boats regularly, and crew in a variety of positions, though fortunately there are young bucks like you for the heavy lifting, and i have earned my position behind the traveler on a big boat. but i can still do bow, when the young bowman is either late to the boat, or too hungover, because he hasn't learned to run with the big dogs. sadly for them, i also then take their woman. he'll learn, maybe.

there is alot of benefit to sailing a 29'er i'm a big fan of that boat, far more so than the 420 crap. while not tuning sensitive in terms of boat tweaking, 29'ers teach alot of other skills, and are alot of fun to sail.

college sailing does develop good small boat techniques, if you are of the right size to sail those boats. college sailing creates typesized crews, period. and yes, many of the good college sailors are also good in other classes. but funny thing, i was asked to sail in a boat last summer with a father and son, the son having been on one of the more competitive high school teams in the nation when he was there, and which remains competitive today. his father and i were surprised at how his son could not understand the basics of long course management up the weather leg. i've known this kid for a long time, i''ve seen everything he's done and helped him in several ways. he is one of the better sailors of his generation too, having places well in a variety of us sailing events.

the fundamental problem with high school and college sailing is that all of those kids spend all of their time sailing around in little tiny boats on little tiny courses. coaches are god, and many of the coaches have never won very much, but they have their coaching certificate, so whatever.

NtY will learn too late that his "national appearances" are illusionary, much ado about nothing.

if NtY really wanted to spend his parents money and his time wisely, he could take that trust fund and use it to attend a comm college, and then buy a boat like a snipe or lightning or j22, or maybe even a melges 20/24, and learn how little he really knows about sailing, sail with and against better older wiser sailors, while at the same time getting a value based education.

#1176 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Keep that happy thought - you'll need it when you are flipping burgers at McDonalds in a few years.

Don't forget that he will be reporting to some dude named Benito...

#1177 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Can't we all just get along?

#1178 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

I thouht we werre?? :)

#1179 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Firstly I cut out the totally irrelevant parts of your post... which were many.thats funny coming from King Superfluous

Secondly, please tell me where did I say which team this person had sailed with? Or whether it was one person at all?

As for your argument... it speaks greatly to college sailors not being able to "see the forest from the trees". Since you clearly don't have any perspective let me provide you with some. The reason the boat of choice for college sailing is the FJ/420 is that, cost and durability attributes aside, they are stupidly easy to sail... to the point where any boob can get in it and make it go you couldnt. To achieve this the boats are dumbed down and simplified no they do it for cost. Sail controls are limited, tuning is largely irrelevant, complexity is reduced and the challenging aspects of racing are removed the challenging aspects? like staying in the boat? you couldnt even do that!. While this does lower the bar to be able to race the boats (as NtY has so proven) it also means that the benefits one can gain from intensive practices in those boats are limited perspective? you've never done a college event in your life, how would you know what can be gained from a practice and how that affects the outcome? . The amount and intensity of collegiate practices are wonderful and the talent pool is deep, I don't deny that. But there's only so much one can learn from limited boats like the FJ or Collegiate 420 in that time period and the simple nature of the boats themselves leaves a vast knowledge gap that can't be filled in college sailing because there's no way to teach it. That's why I view college sailing as flawed. Because in the end the amount that it can teach you, simply because of the nature of the competition, is limited. Those things that it can teach it teaches very well. Kinetics, starting, upwind tactics, rules... all very valuable... There's no doubt in my mind that doing close to 1,000 starts over the course of 4 years will make you a better sailor. What it doesn't prepare you for however is the world of racing outside College sailing where those skills are only a fraction of what you need to be successful simply because boats and styles of racing are not the same as they are in college. Complex sail controls and trimming, rig tune, navigation, changing sails and rounding marks simultaneously, real boat preparation, etc. These are aspects of racingwhich are not exclusive to keelboats and which college sailing on the whole doesn't (and can't) teach. these are things any good college sailor already has a grasp of since they didnt learn how to ail in college. Most sailed club420's or lasers, which unless you go on a keelboat so you can learn which way a winch spins, they are about the only two boats with a common fleet in the US that you can easily find a fleet to race in. They arent going to teach you a whole lot more about rig tune than a collegiate boat. Anything else is going to be a lot harder to get into and run, and possibly more expensive. A 470/i420 will teach you a lot about rigtune, but they arent cheap to campaign and would break in half for college racing - being used 4-6days a week. all of those other things you mention are things which are not applicable to any mission for college sailing, or feasible. should we run a tufluf on an FJ? running backstays? do i wish the boats were faster? yes. do i wish they had traps? fucking yes. do i wish they had a tunable rig? yep. do i care as much about those things now that ive done it for three years? nope. I recognize now that college sailing is an effective way to gain valuable time on the water with minimal complexities or expense compared to campaigning my own boat.

And it's not like you can say this doesn't happen. I've watched you pull out your hair as a truly accomplished college sailor failed to comprehend the function and use of a traveler... right in front of your own eyes. he wasnt an all-american. ive also seen non-college sailors fail at using a traveller. your argument is flawed. he was also wicked hungover.

As for my history...we've been over it in person. It seems however that (in a spectacular display of immaturity and lack of comprehension for the actual subject at hand) you've decided to bring it up in this discussion. I was cut from my college sailing team for the simple fact that I was too tall, too heavy and too rusty to really be competitive and the were limited available spaces could be filled by people who were either less heavy, less tall or less rusty. It's as simple as that. Thus having the level of contact I do with college sailors and college racing (constant & daily) and the perspective from other aspects of the sport has uniquely enabled me to observe and comment on how the various aspects intertwine. There's no deep superiority here, only an objective opinion born out of deep observation of the factors at play and the realities of our sport.

is rusty just another word for not being good enough?

i see you've been taking quoting lessons from cliffy.

#1180 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

I thouht we werre?? :)

Hmmmmm, it doesn't appear so?

Hey, you forgot you emoticom...or were you naturalized or have a sex change operation?

Just askin'

WTF?

#1181 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

actually mustang, without trying to sound like i am blowing my own horn, i am most certainly not fat, and for my age am in damn good shape. I can, and do, helm a wide variety of boats regularly, and crew in a variety of positions, though fortunately there are young bucks like you for the heavy lifting, and i have earned my position behind the traveler on a big boat. but i can still do bow, when the young bowman is either late to the boat, or too hungover, because he hasn't learned to run with the big dogs. sadly for them, i also then take their woman. he'll learn, maybe.

there is alot of benefit to sailing a 29'er i'm a big fan of that boat, far more so than the 420 crap. while not tuning sensitive in terms of boat tweaking, 29'ers teach alot of other skills, and are alot of fun to sail.

college sailing does develop good small boat techniques, if you are of the right size to sail those boats. college sailing creates typesized crews, period. and yes, many of the good college sailors are also good in other classes. but funny thing, i was asked to sail in a boat last summer with a father and son, the son having been on one of the more competitive high school teams in the nation when he was there, and which remains competitive today. his father and i were surprised at how his son could not understand the basics of long course management up the weather leg. i've known this kid for a long time, i''ve seen everything he's done and helped him in several ways. he is one of the better sailors of his generation too, having places well in a variety of us sailing events.

the fundamental problem with high school and college sailing is that all of those kids spend all of their time sailing around in little tiny boats on little tiny courses. coaches are god, and many of the coaches have never won very much, but they have their coaching certificate, so whatever.

NtY will learn too late that his "national appearances" are illusionary, much ado about nothing.

if NtY really wanted to spend his parents money and his time wisely, he could take that trust fund and use it to attend a comm college, and then buy a boat like a snipe or lightning or j22, or maybe even a melges 20/24, and learn how little he really knows about sailing, sail with and against better older wiser sailors, while at the same time getting a value based education.

i dont really disagree with a whole lot of what you said, and sorry for the jab. i will state that any dinghy has typsizes crews. i am too small for most of the dinghies i want to sail, thats life. before college i thought it was a bunch of shit, but, now, i have a different perspective. I can see how someone who only did collegiate racing would fail at outside-of-college racing, but, then, most (all) of my friends that are any good did regular youth sailing before they got to college, as well as highschool.

just getting a little tired of the whole "college sailors dont know how to do real sailing " deal. im not speaking for everyone, there are those that can only roll tack, but, they generally dont win either. Every top ranked college racer has shown credentials in other areas of the sport, and has shown that they can successfully transition to other aspects of the sport.

#1182 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

i dont really disagree with a whole lot of what you said, and sorry for the jab. i will state that any dinghy has typsizes crews. i am too small for most of the dinghies i want to sail, thats life. before college i thought it was a bunch of shit, but, now, i have a different perspective. I can see how someone who only did collegiate racing would fail at outside-of-college racing, but, then, most (all) of my friends that are any good did regular youth sailing before they got to college, as well as highschool.

just getting a little tired of the whole "college sailors dont know how to do real sailing " deal. im not speaking for everyone, there are those that can only roll tack, but, they generally dont win either. Every top ranked college racer has shown credentials in other areas of the sport, and has shown that they can successfully transition to other aspects of the sport.

my fundamental point is not to dis college sailors, they aren't responsible for the structure of the game.

this is a much larger issue in this country, that starts with far too much focus on opti's/lasers/420/high school/college. somehow there has been a mantra of this is what you must do to be successful. this might be true if the goal is to win college nationals, but what happens after that? after 15-20 years of this stead diet we have not seen an influx of post college sailors into other classes. the sport keeps shrinking, so that must mean our feeder system that us sailing touts is broken. people say post college kids don't have money for a boat, well so what, they can crew or borrow a boat.

we too often protect our little piece of turf because it makes us feel good in the moment without looking far enough down the track, and worse, we refuse to review history and see what we are doing well or poorly, when viewed in the larger overall context. it is the difference of looking only at the instruments or getting your head out of the boat and looking at the horizon.

#1183 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

my fundamental point is not to dis college sailors, they aren't responsible for the structure of the game.

this is a much larger issue in this country, that starts with far too much focus on opti's/lasers/420/high school/college. somehow there has been a mantra of this is what you must do to be successful. this might be true if the goal is to win college nationals, but what happens after that? after 15-20 years of this stead diet we have not seen an influx of post college sailors into other classes. the sport keeps shrinking, so that must mean our feeder system that us sailing touts is broken. people say post college kids don't have money for a boat, well so what, they can crew or borrow a boat.

we too often protect our little piece of turf because it makes us feel good in the moment without looking far enough down the track, and worse, we refuse to review history and see what we are doing well or poorly, when viewed in the larger overall context. it is the difference of looking only at the instruments or getting your head out of the boat and looking at the horizon.

the attrition rate after college is a true issue. i think less of a focus on the 420 and more on the fact that there other options out there during youth sailing would be a better place to start (skiffs, keelboats). if you want college sailing to be like other sports in college, well, i dont know how much it can change. i know a LOT of keelboat sailors that could benefit a LOT from some quality time in a dinghy. by that same toklen i know some dinghy rock stars that could learn some humility with wrestling a sail in during a good blow offshore, with nothing to help you but your harness, your hand, and your friends. I like to think i have no superiority complex like some who have posted in this thread. i have participated in just about every discipline that there is - dinghies, inshore, offshore, and inshore races on offshore boats. No discipline is greater or worse than another (ok, skiff sailing is better than dinghy sailing.....), they simple are.

#1184 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

the attrition rate after college is a true issue. i think less of a focus on the 420 and more on the fact that there other options out there during youth sailing would be a better place to start (skiffs, keelboats). if you want college sailing to be like other sports in college, well, i dont know how much it can change. i know a LOT of keelboat sailors that could benefit a LOT from some quality time in a dinghy. by that same toklen i know some dinghy rock stars that could learn some humility with wrestling a sail in during a good blow offshore, with nothing to help you but your harness, your hand, and your friends.

That's the only sensible thing I've seen you say in months.

The only problem with putting juniors in skiffs in the US is that unless your parents are loaded there's no way to get into skiffs and be competitive due to the high initial and ongoing costs. Boats cost upwards of 5 grand at the minimum and then there are large ongoing costs to campaign and keep your boat competitive. Plus the skill level required to sail them at all is so high that none of the yacht clubs with junior programs designed to teach sailing view skiffs as good investments for club fleets so there aren't any around to sail cheaply.

On the other hands there are always keelboats willing to take along a few eager juniors to teach and hopefully turn into regular crew. The only thing you really need to get involved in that type of racing is a charitable owner, shoes and gloves.

And after college there really aren't many options for sailors in small boats. The 1% who are good enough can go for an olympic campaign where 1/20th of them actually have a shot of qualifying and 1/10th of THOSE have a shot at medaling. The other 99% could buy their own boat and campaign it but, like owning your own skiff, the initial and ongoing costs are high. In our current world where students graduate with thousands upon thousands of dollars in student loans and jobs are scarce it's unreasonable to expect them to be able to pay for campaign costs. Then consider that almost all competitive dinghy regattas require lots of traveling and cost to get to since local racing (ie: wednesday night beercan type racing) is limited for non-juniors. That just adds to the $$ factor. You could buy a boat to sail alone but that's not growing the sport of sailboat racing and you're spending a lot of money to sail alone.

The beauty of Keelboat racing however is that those people who want to race their big boats need people to sail for them and help them compete... and are willing to pay most of the campaign costs because they've had time to secure their financial success. But if you've spent your whole sailing career (juniors, hs and college) focused on racing Lasers, 420's and FJ's s with limited big boat perspective then getting and keeping these rides is difficult because your skillset isn't there.

#1185 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

The only problem with putting juniors in skiffs in the US is that unless your parents are loaded there's no way to get into skiffs and be competitive due to the high initial and ongoing costs. Boats cost upwards of 5 grand at the minimum and then there are large ongoing costs to campaign and keep your boat competitive. Plus the skill level required to sail them at all is so high that none of the yacht clubs with junior programs designed to teach sailing view skiffs as good investments for club fleets so there aren't any around to sail cheaply.

you dont teach bow on a certain boat that you sail on, you dont teach primary sailing in a skiff - of which the 29er barely qualifies. so i guess you're right, the only option for real sailors or anyone else is to mooch off of owners on keelboats. And what skills are you talking about? I transitioned into the 29er fairly easily. of course, i dont weigh over 200lbs.

On the other hands there are always keelboats willing to take along a few eager juniors to teach and hopefully turn into regular crew. The only thing you really need to get involved in that type of racing is a charitable owner, shoes and gloves.

funny, the only thing you need for college sailing is the gear. go figure.

And after college there really aren't many options for sailors in small boats. The 1% who are good enough can go for an olympic campaign where 1/20th of them actually have a shot of qualifying and 1/10th of THOSE have a shot at medaling. The other 99% could buy their own boat and campaign it but, like owning your own skiff, the initial and ongoing costs are high. In our current world where students graduate with thousands upon thousands of dollars in student loans and jobs are scarce it's unreasonable to expect them to be able to pay for campaign costs. Then consider that almost all competitive dinghy regattas require lots of traveling and cost to get to since local racing (ie: wednesday night beercan type racing) is limited for non-juniors. That just adds to the $ factor. You could buy a boat to sail alone but that's not growing the sport of sailboat racing and you're spending a lot of money to sail alone.

i never said there werent daunting factors to racing a dinghy post college, but i guess if you're over 18 you shouldnt do frostbiting or wednesday night beercan racing in a dinghy - especially if there are keelboats around - since only kids can sail those boats. Not to mention that a V15 in decent condition can be had for not an excessive amount of money, 3-4k, and there are fleets all over the place. The ongoing cost for a boat like that is also pretty minimal with used sails etc. Then there are 505's, real skiffs like I14's, F18's, and a multitude of other small two person boats.

The beauty of Keelboat racing however is that those people who want to race their big boats need people to sail for them and help them compete... and are willing to pay most of the campaign costs because they've had time to secure their financial success. But if you've spent your whole sailing career (juniors, hs and college) focused on racing Lasers, 420's and FJ's s with limited big boat perspective then getting and keeping these rides is difficult because your skillset isn't there.

because the skillset for plugging part A into slot B is so hard to develop... so should you not secure your financial resources and buy a dinghy? Are the boats that are not willing to pay for your costs not worth mooching off of sailing with? The skillsets needed to trim on a keelboat arent that hard to develop and, in my experience, the keelboat trimmers with no dinghy experience are nearly impossible to miss... you know the ones, over trimmed kite, main trimmed in while the boat is on its ear, etc - though there are exceptions. there are always exceptions. There are those people that simply dont enjoy having to suck up to people to get rides, who are afraid of getting fired from a boat like they're afraid to get fired from a job, who want to be more than just a cog in the machine and actually want to be one of the main players on the boat instead of just ballast who occasionally gets up and moves to the other side, and in general, dont enjoy racing with lead-assist. I enjoy all aspects of sailing. I have ventured to participate in every discipline that sailing offers. I am not strictly a keelboat sailor, i am not strictly a dinghy sailor. Everything has something to offer. Of course if one listened to you they would think that if they dont sail offshore then they arent real sailors. Just because dinghy sailors are good enough to get around the course without relying on lead doesnt mean they are less of a sailor than the almighty you.

#1186 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

... ...
And after college there really aren't many options for sailors in small boats. The 1% who are good enough can go for an olympic campaign where 1/20th of them actually have a shot of qualifying and 1/10th of THOSE have a shot at medaling. The other 99% could buy their own boat and campaign it but, like owning your own skiff, the initial and ongoing costs are high. In our current world where students graduate with thousands upon thousands of dollars in student loans and jobs are scarce it's unreasonable to expect them to be able to pay for campaign costs. Then consider that almost all competitive dinghy regattas require lots of traveling and cost to get to since local racing (ie: wednesday night beercan type racing) is limited for non-juniors.

I don't believe this at all

For most of my life, I have been a blue-collar worker without a lot of disposable income, and I have always sailed my own boats (along with other hobbies). The question is, do you make it a priority or do you spend all your money on a flashy car & bar-hopping? If you say you "can't afford sailing" yet you have a crackberry & full cable & spent break week at some hot spot, then guess what... you can't afford sailing because you don't want to afford it.

If the junior sailing programs have failed in anything, it's making it look too easy and giving young people the entitlement mentality. I bought a bunch of old beaters and rebuilt them to be competitive on the cheap. But those are not the skills taught in junior sailing and rather few young people nowadays are willing to get their hands dirty.

I think most keelboat racers would be willing to give recent ex-college sailors a try. I have. Of course, you have to ask and you have to be at least somewhat patient.

The <30s I work with have no patience, little or no tact (they are compulsively gregarious but quarrel even more with each other than they do with us old fogeys), and they can't seem to pay attention to what they're doing. Not a good mix for a sailor. In fact, I can't think what this is good for... texting while driving, maybe... But of course there are a few exceptions, and they seem to be headed for success.

FB- Doug

#1187 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

We have had this conversation already. My school is a five year school, meaning I have been here from 8th-12th grade.

#1188 wastedandwounded

wastedandwounded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

We have had this conversation already. My school is a five year school, meaning I have been here from 8th-12th grade.

Attached Files

#1189 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Nimrod the Younger was placed in a private school to further his education. This "Severn School," while it ain't no Exeter or Choate, is expensive at $22K per year for tuition and purports to be exclusive. So, the Elder Nimrods have apparently opted to hand Younger off to some strangers for "education." Look at what they have accomplished for $110K ! Further, they will now spend another $200K for a fourth tier "college" - totaling over $300K for NtY'ers "education." Jeebers! Seems to me like investing in Solyindra.

Now, let's examine this Severn school:

"Philosophy:
Severn School believes in educating the whole person in a student-centered, supportive educational community that values the dignity, self worth, and potential of each individual."

Well, on this one they get a big fat F. "Dignity, self worth and potential" are words seldom used in describing NtY. Who writes this crap in prep school brochures? Do they even know that NtY is at their school? Yikes! It would be more acccurate if they added small print exculding NtY from all the pufferey.

"Mission:
Severn School challenges its students to pursue excellence in character, conduct, and scholarship, to marshal the courage to lead, and to develop the lasting desire to serve and achieve. We believe this is best realized in a community where adults model these qualities and where each student is known and valued."

Somehow, I don't see NtY having a "lasting desire to serve." Consider the image. John Wayne landing on the beach at Iwo Jima. "Let's go Marines" as they bravely dash through the surf with their guns blazing and Japs falling to the left and to the right. "Mow those bastards down" says the Duke. Bang, bang, bang!

As the smoke of battle begins to clear, we see one last Marine struggling to get through the surk. His helmet is to big and it wobbles a bit, his legs are also wobbling from the effort of trying to get through the waves whilst carrying a heavy weapon and extra ammo. His sleeves are rolled up in typical Marine fashion, but rather than tegh thickly veined ripped muscles we are accustomed to see on Marines, we see a lot of....hair! Yes, it's Nimrod the Younger! Leading from the rear. Go Nimrod!

Nope, don't see it. Ain't no service or leader here.

So, there you have it. Nimrod the Elders paying thropugh the nose so this kid can squander his opportunities. And, oh yes, on Severn "athletics." Per the Severn site, the school is very athletically oriented. They point with pride to the championship earned by their chess team in 2007 (when it was coached by a David Chin, whomever the fuck he is...). To demonstrate their depth, they also mention their mock trial team which placed in a championship in 2008.

Nimrod the Younger - the story that keeps on giving. You can't make this stuff up, folks.

#1190 wastedandwounded

wastedandwounded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Nimrod the Younger was placed in a private school to further his education. This "Severn School," while it ain't no Exeter or Choate, is expensive at $22K per year for tuition and purports to be exclusive. So, the Elder Nimrods have apparently opted to hand Younger off to some strangers for "education." Look at what they have accomplished for $110K ! Further, they will now spend another $200K for a fourth tier "college" - totaling over $300K for NtY'ers "education." Jeebers! Seems to me like investing in Solyindra.

"Philosophy:
Severn School believes in educating the whole person in a student-centered, supportive educational community that values the dignity, self worth, and potential of each individual."

Well, on this one they get a big fat F. "Dignity, self worth and potential" are words seldom used in describing NtY. Who writes this crap in prep school brochures? Do they even know that NtY is at their school? Yikes! It would be more acccurate if they added small print exculding NtY from all the pufferey.

"Mission:
Severn School challenges its students to pursue excellence in character, conduct, and scholarship, to marshal the courage to lead, and to develop the lasting desire to serve and achieve. We believe this is best realized in a community where adults model these qualities and where each student is known and valued."

Somehow, I don't see NtY having a "lasting desire to serve." Consider the image. John Wayne landing on the beach at Iwo Jima. "Let's go Marines" as they bravely dash through the surf with their guns blazing and Japs falling to the left and to the right. "Mow those bastards down" says the Duke. Bang, bang, bang!

As the smoke of battle begins to clear, we see one last Marine struggling to get through the surk. His helmet is to big and it wobbles a bit, his legs are also wobbling from the effort of trying to get through the waves whilst carrying a heavy weapon and extra ammo. His sleeves are rolled up in typical Marine fashion, but rather than tegh thickly veined ripped muscles we are accustomed to see on Marines, we see a lot of....hair! Yes, it's Nimrod the Younger! Leading from the rear. Go Nimrod!

So, there you have it. Nimrod the Elders paying thropugh the nose so this kid can squander his opportunities. And, oh yes, on Severn "athletics." Per the Severn site, the school is very athletically oriented. They point with pride to the championship earned by their chess team in 2007 (when it was coached by a David Chin, whomever the fuck he is...). To demonstrate their depth, they also mention their mock trial team which placed in a championship in 2008.

Nimrod the Younger - the story that keeps on giving. You can't make this stuff up, folks.

I think he attends Christchurch School in Christchurch, VA. I think the points you make remain valid.

#1191 er111a

er111a

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

"Philosophy:

"Mission:

I go to Christchurch school, not Severn, if you looked at the results you would have seen I said we got first place.

#1192 Knotcho

Knotcho

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Poker, Music

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

at first i was amazed at this conversation. then got bored. but now i am amazed again. almost impressed. impressed that this could still be going on.

#1193 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

From the Christchurch School website:

"An Episcopal college preparatory school for boarding and day boys and girls, grades 9-12."

#1194 celphtaught

celphtaught

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:the great blue yonder. and random bits of string

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Blame the parents!

Blame George W Bush!

We found the child he left behind!

I nominate the above post for one of best all time

Seconded.

motion carried may we present the item to the council?

#1195 RumLine

RumLine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Wow, this place strives for mediocrity. Based on the college acceptances it seems like there are one or two intelligent students (or trust fund babies) and then it drops off significantly.

http://www.christchu...collegesaccepts

#1196 slap

slap

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Wow, this place strives for mediocrity. Based on the college acceptances it seems like there are one or two intelligent students (or trust fund babies) and then it drops off significantly.

http://www.christchurchschool.org/collegesaccepts

Really. My kids went to a public high school, and the college acceptances for their class included MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Cal Tech, Carnagie-Mellon, etc.

#1197 wastedandwounded

wastedandwounded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Wow. You are right. Other than Johns Hopkins and U Va, that is a weak, weak list.

At least when the school holds its class reunions at the Christchurch Crackerbarrel, a number of alums can attend without taking time off.

#1198 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Really. My kids went to a public high school, and the college acceptances for their class included MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Cal Tech, Carnagie-Mellon, etc.

Same.

Looks like the school is more concerned with it's facilities and appearance than academics.

What a waste of $$$$. I imagine the deep-pocketed parents continue to lavish support of their youth through misspent college years and extend that support till the well runs dry. Hope springs eternal.

Eric will probably work for daddy, drive a BMW and skipper a new Melges 24 poorly the first summer following graduation from Washington College.

If indeed the UNH kids might have had some difficulties with our young Ahab I am now understanding how that might have occurred.

#1199 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

"Philosophy:

"Mission:

I go to Christchurch school, not Severn, if you looked at the results you would have seen I said we got first place.

wait wait wait, youre saying dorag was wrong about something???!??

#1200 NorCalLaser

NorCalLaser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

its one thing to go to a real prep school like phillips andover academy or exeter... sorry but these other low end prep schools for dumb rich kids are just sad. I bet that eric's parents didnt even make any real money, they seem too damn dumb for that to be the case... blowing tuition money on this asshat when most of these boringly pathetic little rich towns have fine public schools. I bet this is 2nd or 3rd generational wealth... and that it will end with NtY. Isnt that so eric? grandma and grandpa were rich and dad never worked much, did he?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users