65 replies to this topic

#1 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Have been searching for my next boat for about 6 months now but haven't pulled the trigger. Started off focusing on lighter trailerables I could drysail like a B25, but have expanded the search to fixed keel boats as I'm finding my drysailing options (both boats and facilities) are limited. Boats I'm considering range from smaller PHRF boats like WL24, B25, J24, etc., up through a Laser 28 or Olson 30. Looking for something reasonably speedy (the J is about the slowest I'll consider); interior accommodations are not a major concern. Boat will be used for PHRF racing on the Chesapeake, so East Coast boats are preferred. For those owners I'm in contact with already who read this, I haven't ruled anything out, just want to expand the search before finally pulling the trigger. Price range should be evident from the boats I'm looking at.

This isn't a "what boat should I buy" thread...I've done plenty of research and am trying to see what might be for sale out there that's not advertised in the usual places. So.....anyone in the area got anything interesting? Feel free to PM....any replies are appreciated.

#2 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

Have been searching for my next boat for about 6 months now but haven't pulled the trigger. Started off focusing on lighter trailerables I could drysail like a B25, but have expanded the search to fixed keel boats as I'm finding my drysailing options (both boats and facilities) are limited. Boats I'm considering range from smaller PHRF boats like WL24, B25, J24, etc., up through a Laser 28 or Olson 30. Looking for something reasonably speedy (the J is about the slowest I'll consider); interior accommodations are not a major concern. Boat will be used for PHRF racing on the Chesapeake, so East Coast boats are preferred. For those owners I'm in contact with already who read this, I haven't ruled anything out, just want to expand the search before finally pulling the trigger. Price range should be evident from the boats I'm looking at.

This isn't a "what boat should I buy" thread...I've done plenty of research and am trying to see what might be for sale out there that's not advertised in the usual places. So.....anyone in the area got anything interesting? Feel free to PM....any replies are appreciated.

Sent you a PM.

Jerry

#3 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

dude - get a flying tiger 10. light air fucking rocket, and way too much fun to sail. seriously, it is the best light air boat i've ever sailed.

#4 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I just got a Capri 30 for pennies. I am having a ball on it. 1/4 the price of the J29 I was looking at. If you can find a dry one they are right in your target area.

#5 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

I ain't selling mine but for the prices you are talking you could get an F27 and go twice as fast, trailer ten times easier, easily sail or race double handed or 3 up, and race with 15 other F27s at the Corsair Nationals at Screwpile.

#6 Editor

Editor

Anarchist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

I just got a Capri 30 for pennies. I am having a ball on it. 1/4 the price of the J29 I was looking at. If you can find a dry one they are right in your target area.

i sailed crapi 30's when they were new. another light air rocket in it's day and one of my favorite boats from that era. as mb said, you can steal 'em and with some new sails, would be a lotta bang for the buck...

#7 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Good call on the Capri 30...that one slipped under the radar. Know of any dry Capris for sale?

FT10 is too rich for my blood, and none on the east coast AFAIK.

Jerry, thanks for the PM, will get back with you shortly.

Keep 'em coming....

#8 TBone

TBone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

dude - get a flying tiger 10. light air fucking rocket, and way too much fun to sail. seriously, it is the best light air boat i've ever sailed.

ED: Try the MELGES 32. Wicked in light air.

#9 movable ballast

movable ballast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

There is a Capri 30 on a trailer in Sarasota FL that looks pretty good and is priced right (Boat Trader I think). There is also another one here in So-Cal for sale but it's a long haul. I think the Capri 30's in the snow belt will be all wet as they sit much of the year covered in snow and the freeze thaw cycle is not good for cored boats.

#10 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

What happened to the O25? Some of what you mention (WL24, J24) isn't much of an improvement terms of speed/comfort except the B25...not sure what your criteria is. It's possible this 24-26 foot "class" of small MORC built boats from the late 70's-mid 80's might get some traction. PHRF from 168-180...it ain't the sexiest racing, but in this economy it does have its moments and some fun folks in the mix. I'm working on pimping it now, in fack. So, a Merit 25, Kirby 25, Crapi 25, Lindy 26, Tanzer 25 (like Kriz'es) and the O25 and J24 are all players. Good times on distance races and you feel like you earned something at the finish.

Works for me.

#11 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

I sold the O25 4 or 5 years ago and bought a partnership on a J30, which we sold last summer. I liked the J well enough but am now looking for something quicker and more nimble. Not necessarily FASTER, although that'd be nice. Anyway, I have a good sense of the characteristics of the boats in my price/size range, just can't seem to find any decent ones for sale on this side of the country.

#12 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

I hear ya...sorry to say, that is a bit of a challenge. Have you looked up the coast for any Evelyn 25's or 26's for sale? Buzz Lightyear is for sale, or was, but that hasn't much in terms cruising amenities (putting it mildly). I thought I saw a 25 for sale somewhere.

There's a 26 for sale in Mass. This one (a different boat) did pretty well up in the NW recently:

http://ptsail.org/20...1/10/evelyn-26- ... d-overall/

#13 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

What happened to the O25? Some of what you mention (WL24, J24) isn't much of an improvement terms of speed/comfort except the B25...not sure what your criteria is. It's possible this 24-26 foot "class" of small MORC built boats from the late 70's-mid 80's might get some traction. PHRF from 168-180...it ain't the sexiest racing, but in this economy it does have its moments and some fun folks in the mix. I'm working on pimping it now, in fack. So, a Merit 25, Kirby 25, Crapi 25, Lindy 26, Tanzer 25 (like Kriz'es) and the O25 and J24 are all players. Good times on distance races and you feel like you earned something at the finish.

Works for me.

Or....... a Martin 242! Spacious cabin for a 24 footer. Large cockpit. Very quick and nimble and points better then most.

#14 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Totally agree, Jerry...but try finding one on the E. Coast.

'Bout time for the S-2 7.9 crowd to chime in :lol:

http://www.yachtworl...I/United-States

#15 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

How about the one in Eastern North Carolina for sale?

#16 simbert

simbert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Tripp26 still exist?

#17 dacapo

dacapo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Interests:walks on the beach,a good book,a good cry

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

Soverel 26....masthead kite, not a pig in east Coast light air.

#18 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:sail ski

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

I sold the O25 4 or 5 years ago and bought a partnership on a J30, which we sold last summer. I liked the J well enough but am now looking for something quicker and more nimble. Not necessarily FASTER, although that'd be nice. Anyway, I have a good sense of the characteristics of the boats in my price/size range, just can't seem to find any decent ones for sale on this side of the country.

Try a J27
Best bang of all the J's
J 80?

#19 jetfuel

jetfuel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:sail ski

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:49 AM

There was a Tripp 26 for sale on Lake Ontario a while ago
Dont know what happened to it

#20 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:04 AM

Had not heard about that one...you sure it's not in Northern East Carolina, though?

#21 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:04 AM

All great suggestions...anyone have a boat for sale that's not already in the classifieds?

#22 ICBT

ICBT

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

I heard a rumor someone's trying to get rid of a boat in this size range on these forums... with supposedly free shipping from the west coast...

#23 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

I heard a rumor someone's trying to get rid of a boat in this size range on these forums... with supposedly free shipping from the west coast...

Yes, this may all be OBE in a month or so. I'd rather not wait to find out, however.

#24 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Had not heard about that one...you sure it's not in Northern East Carolina, though?

??? OK, I'll make it easier. Its at my house. Interested?

#25 tootall519

tootall519

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

All great suggestions...anyone have a boat for sale that's not already in the classifieds?

I have a FT10 never used like new in KY I'll sell you. #81 on a trailer ready to go. Not in any classifieds.

#26 FOOKINWAVE

FOOKINWAVE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Plugged in Les Pual unplugged Taylor
    Design construction international shipping!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

VIPPER 640 or 830. By modifying the 830 you can kick some ass.

#27 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

$50K for a brand new boat (i.e. you can get a loan) delivered is a killer deal for this boat.

Otherwise, a Tripp 26 is a slower boat than this, but still a good pick. It depends what kind of racing you want to do.

#28 JimmyY

JimmyY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:21 AM

I'm selling my O30....in Solomons MD.

PM me if you're interested.

#29 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:04 AM

$50K for a brand new boat (i.e. you can get a loan) delivered is a killer deal for this boat.

Otherwise, a Tripp 26 is a slower boat than this, but still a good pick. It depends what kind of racing you want to do.

$50K does seem like a decent price, but is far more than I have to spend. Tripp is a good call and I've traded emails with a few owners, but haven't had any luck. Thanks for the input...

I'm selling my O30....in Solomons MD.

PM me if you're interested.

PM sent...

#30 Slap Shot

Slap Shot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

There are 2 possibly 3 tripps for sale right now. Please don't buy one unless your willing to use the trailer to race OD once and a while. Of the ones I know of for sale the one in NC is probably the best boat.

Couple of tripps still in your area and a fleet forming in florida now, so there there is a possibility of some good od racing, with this decent phrf boat.

#31 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

There are 2 possibly 3 tripps for sale right now. Please don't buy one unless your willing to use the trailer to race OD once and a while. Of the ones I know of for sale the one in NC is probably the best boat.

Couple of tripps still in your area and a fleet forming in florida now, so there there is a possibility of some good od racing, with this decent phrf boat.

Is the one in NC, Treez's?

Are they still using running backstays? Always seemed like a pain!

#32 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

+1 on the J-27, there's a decent sounding J-27 in Pensacola: http://strictlysaili...sifieds/10606as

Don't know much about the Rodgers 26, but the price looks right for an older MORC boat...
http://www.sailboatl....com/view/22255

#33 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Pearson Flyer???

http://www.yachtworl...boat_id=2398246

#34 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

+1 on the J-27, there's a decent sounding J-27 in Pensacola: http://strictlysaili...sifieds/10606as

Don't know much about the Rodgers 26, but the price looks right for an older MORC boat...

Sounds like the J-27 is over his budget., although a good boat. The Rodgers 26 at the twice the weight of his previous Olson 25 probably isn't what he's looking for in performance.

#35 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:49 AM

Sounds like the J-27 is over his budget., although a good boat. The Rodgers 26 at the twice the weight of his previous Olson 25 probably isn't what he's looking for in performance.

J27 would be cool, but Jerry is right - $20K is not in the budget. I've seen that Rodgers on Yachtworld for awhile....it might be OK and if it were close by I'd go check it out. But I'm hoping there are boats that are a better bang for the buck out there, within similar driving distance. Thanks for the inputs.

#36 simbert

simbert

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

Remind you that Tripp26s are done by Carroll, kinda get what you paid for :)

#37 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Remind you that Tripp26s are done by Carroll, kinda get what you paid for :)

Hull no 1 is still kicking ass in phrf and OD with no major issues. The boat is solid as a rock. Just saying....

#38 crash

crash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:20 AM

J27 would be cool, but Jerry is right - $20K is not in the budget. I've seen that Rodgers on Yachtworld for awhile....it might be OK and if it were close by I'd go check it out. But I'm hoping there are boats that are a better bang for the buck out there, within similar driving distance. Thanks for the inputs.

So about where is the budget, so we don't send you stuff that wastes your time....

Another J-27 just showed up in the SA classifieds for 14.5 and its in Baltimore....

#39 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

So about where is the budget, so we don't send you stuff that wastes your time....

Another J-27 just showed up in the SA classifieds for 14.5 and its in Baltimore....

Ideally under $10K, but could go to $15K for the right boat. Just saw that J27 in the classifieds...could be a good deal. Thanks.

#40 Jerryd

Jerryd

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

Ideally under $10K, but could go to $15K for the right boat. Just saw that J27 in the classifieds...could be a good deal. Thanks.

I've got a Martin 242 waiting for you. Just make an offer ;)

#41 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

[/quote]

I've got a Martin 242 waiting for you. Just make an offer ;)
[/quote]

Sent you another PM....

#42 Slap Shot

Slap Shot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

Is the one in NC, Treez's?

Are they still using running backstays? Always seemed like a pain!

Yes last I heard from Treez she is looking to sell the boat. I do not know the asking price but I would expect it is well above O25's stated range.

Runners are not needed to keep the mast up, but are definitely helpful in getting the most speed wise out of the boat upwind. I take them off or leave them loose when club racing at home, but definitely put them back on for regattas. Some of the other owners never have them on.

Some of the later Tripps were built by Lindsay while most were built by CM mine included. I don't see any real difference in the boats around the course. I haven't experienced any real build issues other than what you would expect in a light balsa cored boat. The boats are made with vinyl ester so they do not have the gel coat issues that the Mumm's did.

#43 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Treez's asking price is more than I can spend - low 20s as I recall. Sounds like a good boat tho.

#44 Black Jack

Black Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:49 AM

eagle 36
I tired of sailing with whiners and no shows. what can i expect my the phrf rating to be?

#45 JSR11

JSR11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:One Design Sailing

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

Love the Tripp 26 talk! All the points are valid. Be careful with CM Boats. Light, but sometimes fragile. Slap's got it right about the Florida Tripp movement. Hope to have ten in Pensacola in the Fall. Unfortunately, the runners do help the pointing upwind. But I like tinkering so I think they're cool. lol. But overall they're great boats. Easy to haul. Relatively affordable. Great class backing. And a blast downwind (15kts two weekends ago). Love to try and persuade you more.

#46 RParentsail

RParentsail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, watersports

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

J24 has a pretty strong class, at least it does here down in FL

#47 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks. Have looked at a couple J24s and may go that route. Probably the cheapest to purchase and maintain of the boats I'm looking at.

#48 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Bump

#49 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Bump again.

#50 razorback

razorback

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

I've been procrastinating putting my boat up for sale because I love it. But I moved and there isn't anything even remotely like it or any suitable place to sail it anywhere close. So...
Impulse 26. Light, nimble, fast, fun to sail, well under $10k. PHRF 138 and VERY competitive at that if you arent fighting chop too much. Just now is the first time ive seriously considered selling, so not sure about $, but I'd love to see another SAer enjoy it (especially a guy I feel like I know from here) & would definitely make a deal you'd be happy with. Mine was previously owned by musicman, then MikeinCT, then me. Ask either of them about it & I'll get you more info if you are interested.

#51 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thanks. Have looked at a couple J24s and may go that route. Probably the cheapest to purchase and maintain of the boats I'm looking at.

Don't know if you found a new boat, but I know of a Merit 25 that's for sale after this season. Although, if you made an offer, I'm sure he'd entertain it early. His new location isn't deep enough for the 4' draft so he's looking at S2's.

I can promise you, it'll be cheaper than any J boat, sails are cheaper too. And the PHRF rating is better on the Merit than the J.
If you want huge OD fleets, than the J will probably be your best bet. The fastest is probably the tripp then the B25, but that'll be on the high end of your price range. Tripps will be pricey as well.

Shoot me a PM if interested in the Merit, they're good Ches bay performers. I'm working on a Merit 25 OD fleet on the bay as we speak.

#52 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Razor and M25 - PMs sent. Thanks for the responses,

Dan

#53 Jon

Jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

I hear ya...sorry to say, that is a bit of a challenge. Have you looked up the coast for any Evelyn 25's or 26's for sale? Buzz Lightyear is for sale, or was, but that hasn't much in terms cruising amenities (putting it mildly). I thought I saw a 25 for sale somewhere.

There's a 26 for sale in Mass. This one (a different boat) did pretty well up in the NW recently:

http://ptsail.org/2012/01/10/evelyn-26- ... d-overall/

Hey, that's a great looking boat. Odd how Evelyn's don't get the respect that their record suggests that they should. Maybe it's because they are not the easiest boat in the world to sail well, a problem the new owners of NIMBUS don't seem to have as they again won their class in the most recent Center Sound Series race. The previous owners never did that well but they were known to be hacks.

#54 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Don't know if you found a new boat, but I know of a Merit 25 that's for sale after this season. Although, if you made an offer, I'm sure he'd entertain it early. His new location isn't deep enough for the 4' draft so he's looking at S2's.

I can promise you, it'll be cheaper than any J boat, sails are cheaper too. And the PHRF rating is better on the Merit than the J.
If you want huge OD fleets, than the J will probably be your best bet. The fastest is probably the tripp then the B25, but that'll be on the high end of your price range. Tripps will be pricey as well.

Shoot me a PM if interested in the Merit, they're good Ches bay performers. I'm working on a Merit 25 OD fleet on the bay as we speak.

M25 your not exactly correct with saying this. J/24s can be bought for 5K or less have a good friend that paid $2500 for his and wins silver every year. The rating is just a number and the 24 sails to it very well in PHRF. The mainsail is basically the same size for both boats. The genoa and spin on merit are larger. Sails for J will cost more if buying for One design but if building for PHRF will cost less than Merit. You take out the royalties and one design tax then it comes down to cloth cost and labor smaller sails can cost less. A J/24 raced PHRF can cost less to race every year its cost per ft shorter lines, smaller sails and slip fees. J also has large one design sailing anywhere you go.

Both good boats.

#55 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Oh i know you can get a J24 for cheap. Merits are the same, and its sure is easier to find a J than an M. I got my merit for $1200 that included a trailer motor and 4 sails (the motor and sails weren't much). And we do ok on the course. Wasn't trying to bash the J24, I actually think they're pretty good boats and get a bad rep for whatever reason. If looking for a good OD fleet there's no competition between the two. But as a PHRF racer I think the Merit edges out a bit, and goes better downwind. The B25 would be even better, just hard to find.

#56 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

There is an Elliott 770 for sale in Florida with trailer for $18K. supposedly has a set of racing sails that have never been used. rates 111 in chesapeake and is a great great phrf boat. 5.5' draft, easy to short-hand sail, low maintenance costs. It can be kept in the water or dry-sailed because of its single lift point. He's dropped the price once and will probably again.

#57 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

Oh i know you can get a J24 for cheap. Merits are the same, and its sure is easier to find a J than an M. I got my merit for $1200 that included a trailer motor and 4 sails (the motor and sails weren't much). And we do ok on the course. Wasn't trying to bash the J24, I actually think they're pretty good boats and get a bad rep for whatever reason. If looking for a good OD fleet there's no competition between the two. But as a PHRF racer I think the Merit edges out a bit, and goes better downwind. The B25 would be even better, just hard to find.

$1200 for a Merit with a trailer that's a great find. I personally am not a big fan of the J24 but is a good choice for the dollar when it comes to beer can racing and one design. Also an easy boat to resell

#58 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

There is an Elliott 770 for sale in Florida with trailer for $18K. supposedly has a set of racing sails that have never been used. rates 111 in chesapeake and is a great great phrf boat. 5.5' draft, easy to short-hand sail, low maintenance costs. It can be kept in the water or dry-sailed because of its single lift point. He's dropped the price once and will probably again.

I got some info on that 770...seems like it'll need a bit more than I'd want to do at that price point. Thanks for the heads up tho.

#59 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

M25 your not exactly correct with saying this. J/24s can be bought for 5K or less have a good friend that paid $2500 for his and wins silver every year. The rating is just a number and the 24 sails to it very well in PHRF. The mainsail is basically the same size for both boats. The genoa and spin on merit are larger. Sails for J will cost more if buying for One design but if building for PHRF will cost less than Merit. You take out the royalties and one design tax then it comes down to cloth cost and labor smaller sails can cost less. A J/24 raced PHRF can cost less to race every year its cost per ft shorter lines, smaller sails and slip fees. J also has large one design sailing anywhere you go.

Both good boats.

J24 seems like it'd have the lowest total cost of ownership. Biggest investment will be sails, and you can get good used J24 rags for very cheap compared to just about anything else. I like them well enough, just haven't come across one locally that was right for me.

#60 OBW

OBW

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

With so many boats actively raced there is always used sails, hardware and other gear for sale at great savings. Many good benefits with the J24. No guess work everything has been done and well documented sail designs rig tuning whatever info can be found.

#61 JSR11

JSR11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:One Design Sailing

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

If your into J's and Merits, might want to think about a Capri 25 as well.

#62 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

I've looked at a couple of those but they were beaters. There was a very nice one practically given away in DC a few months ago but I missed out on that deal.

#63 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I've looked at a couple of those but they were beaters. There was a very nice one practically given away in DC a few months ago but I missed out on that deal.

Check out the Capri 25 Listed on the Anarchy Classifieds...I know the boat..it's immaculate and professionaly restored. Full details can also be found at:

http://www.beromotors.com/boatforsale/boat_weebeestee.html

#64 Merit 25

Merit 25

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:39 AM

O25, I know of a competitive J24 in the northern bay for sale as well. Boat is well set up with current inventory. Shoot me another PM if interested.

#65 DoRag

DoRag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Some Dude has a highly tricked out J24 for sale - national champ. Send him a PM - I think he needs the money, his wife hates it and he will sell it very cheaply.

#66 Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

Still looking....back to the top...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users