#1 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

I ripped this picture off the front page of the Farr 30. What is going on with what appears to be 2 kites up at the same time and the foreguy is attached to a clew also? I have some experience on these boats - never seen this one. Whats up? Flame away....

Cheers!

Attached Files

#2 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

I think this is a standard FU procedure known as a "spinnaker peel"...

:ph34r:

dash

#3 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

I guess I assumed that - just looks like more work than necessary.....

#4 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

Bareheaded is less work.

And slower.

#5 BarePoles

BarePoles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Interests:sailing, architecture, running, Texans

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

Race much? We once did a spin peel less than a quarter mile from the finish on a 250 mile distance race. :)

#6 LoopyGirdleSniffer

LoopyGirdleSniffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

It's an outside peel from a reaching kite to a running kite. No twists or knots= bow guy did a stellar job of it.

#7 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

A bit creative on the hookups, but overall an outstanding job. Whatever works and keeps the guys in the back of the bus quiet....

dash

#8 SailDry

SailDry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

Outside hoist peel so the halyards are not crossed. Good move on the 30, pretty dicey on the 40.

#9 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

so this is a peel on a frac kite? That makes sense - we didnt do much distance racing. thanks anyway.

#10 sclero

sclero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:39 AM

I ripped this picture off the front page of the Farr 30. What is going on with what appears to be 2 kites up at the same time and the foreguy is attached to a clew also? I have some experience on these boats - never seen this one. Whats up? Flame away....

Cheers!

The clew is not attached to the foreguy, not sure what that line is supposed to be. If you look closely you can see the pole has bridles for the topping lift and foreguy.

If you check out the gallery you can see another photo were they have the white spinnaker up with a 2:1 block on the clew, it is hard to tell if that is a reaching or running kite but another photo shows the blue one up in what looks to be lighter air. I can't get a good sense of the sequence of events to guess what is going on or how they have set things up.

#11 Hike, Bitches!

Hike, Bitches!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

What looks like the foreguy is the retracting line attached to the guy to bring it back into the bow boy so he doesn't have to reach why the fuck out for it (nor climb under the fucking boom back to the midship block) just before a jibe. We tried that set up this year in KW, but our bungies were too tight and it didn't work so well. It is def. a trial and error thing to figure that out. I like the idea, but when it was blowing 20+/- on day one at KWRW was not the day to experiment with that stuff. Obviously these guys have that a little more sorted out.

#12 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:04 AM

Clearly these guys know what they are doing and I am not completely convinced I understand whats going on the foredeck in the photo - sadly I have never been in a situation where a peel was contemplated - we said fuck it and kept the big kite up and laid the boat over a couple extra times. Based on the way our boat was set up it is beyond my capabilities - Im sure our bow guy could do it - not me. Im not to proud to say otherwise. Good times those were. I could see the knotmeter reading and that was cool enough.

#13 smv

smv

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

Clearly these guys know what they are doing and I am not completely convinced I understand whats going on the foredeck in the photo - sadly I have never been in a situation where a peel was contemplated - we said fuck it and kept the big kite up and laid the boat over a couple extra times. Based on the way our boat was set up it is beyond my capabilities - Im sure our bow guy could do it - not me. Im not to proud to say otherwise. Good times those were. I could see the knotmeter reading and that was cool enough.

I'm no shaman, Code 2, but it sounds like you've got the curse. I don't know what it's called, and I don't know all of the details, but it has something to do with spending too much time in the back of the boat. At this point it sounds like it's fully developed, there's no turning back now and there is no known cure. This curse can be lethal, or so I'm told. I haven't seen any fatalities myself, but I have seen severe damage to body and equipment alike if left unchecked. The only known cure is what I'll call "location awareness". Think of it this way, there is a magic wall at the shrouds... ;)

#14 Jetsam

Jetsam

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Found this doing a google search. I think it covers it. I could be wrong. I was wrong once before back in the 90s, so it is theoretically possible:

Posted Image

#15 2XD

2XD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Cheers!

The clew is not attached to the foreguy, not sure what that line is supposed to be. If you look closely you can see the pole has bridles for the topping lift and foreguy.

If you check out the gallery you can see another photo were they have the white spinnaker up with a 2:1 block on the clew, it is hard to tell if that is a reaching or running kite but another photo shows the blue one up in what looks to be lighter air. I can't get a good sense of the sequence of events to guess what is going on or how they have set things up.

in this regatta they use only 2 kites, the white one is the masthead supplied by the event and branded and the fractional is whatever you like as long as it measures as a fractional so the blue would be the fractional.

the 2:1 would be the change sheet and would be clipped on at the brace block near the v1.

He has also got a double snap shackle on the pole end connecting the new kite clew to the bail of the existing brace shackle so he can fire the old clew off with a spike and keep the brace on.

standard issue, nothing new here.... nice work bowman can you pack the frac we might need it again soon.

#16 afterguy

afterguy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

Weird thing is that the pole is to the headstay but the boom is all the way out. Seems like a recipe for a wrap. Maybe they're trying to mess with the chutes in the lee of the main?

#17 benja

benja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:46 AM

Weird thing is that the pole is to the headstay but the boom is all the way out. Seems like a recipe for a wrap. Maybe they're trying to mess with the chutes in the lee of the main?

On the boat I sail on, the pole goes forward for a quick second while I attach the new gear and spike off the old kite. I'm sure there are different ways to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users