33 replies to this topic

#1 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

I have been asked to look for a raceboat in the 27'-30' range, currently mired in the middle of the pack, willing to have an Intersleek 900 bottom put on, free of charge. Owner would have to commit to following the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations which are required to keep an Intersleek bottom in good shape. The ideal candidate boat would live in an East Bay marina.

Post here or PM me if interested.

#2 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Some one needs to do this!!! This is the best shit going. I need to get on my rep to do something like this out here

#3 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

Some one needs to do this!!! This is the best shit going. I need to get on my rep to do something like this out here

What the Freek is Intersleek?

#4 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

Google it. Here is the quick run down, it's average life is 5-10 years it doesn't need to be cleaned weekly only the day before a regatta and nothing sticks to it. Added bonus for the applicator no burnishing required!!

#5 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

What the Freek is Intersleek?

Go here:

http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/intersleek-900-divers-manual-usa-eng.pdf

#6 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

...it doesn't need to be cleaned weekly only the day before a regatta

Cleaning frequency is primarily dictated by the local fouling conditions. However, the manufacturer recommends no longer than every 4 weeks.

...and nothing sticks to it.

Not so. All kinds of stuff will stick to it which is why it needs to be cleaned frequently. But it is very fast.

#7 Ryley

Ryley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Photography, Sailing, Mountain Biking.. did I mention sailing?

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:39 AM

Fastbottoms, I'm assuming that this isn't necessarily a good solution for boats that ramp launch off a trailer 3 or 4 times a season? How does one move a boat safely on a lift?

#8 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

no problem with slipping on a lift

this is a great opportunity to save a heap of dollars, can't believe 50 people haven't jumped in orready

#9 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

In regards to growth, it has been my experience as I have a test boat I have it on for over a year now that I can let it sit with heavy growth and no use for well over 4 weeks in Chesapeake bays warm water in the height of summer and just grab a rag and it all comes right off with a soft rag. yes a little brown algae scum was still there but once the boat moved for 15-20 minutes even that was gone and it was back to bright white.

as a side bar I can not believe no one has taken you up on this, the crap is around a grand a gallon when you add in the cost of the tie coat and the inter sleek :blink:

#10 il1395

il1395

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'll volunteer a Potomac River test boat!

#11 Great White

Great White

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Interests:Racing, cruising, bicycle riding and touring, hiking, xcountry skiing.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

I have been asked to look for a raceboat in the 27'-30' range, currently mired in the middle of the pack, willing to have an Intersleek 900 bottom put on, free of charge. Owner would have to commit to following the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations which are required to keep an Intersleek bottom in good shape. The ideal candidate boat would live in an East Bay marina.

I would volunteer in a moment, but I don't meet your criteria as I am a Puget Sound boat and a few feet over your length limit. I am hauling out next month anyway and have the bottom dove on every four weeks. Sounds like a great oppurtunity for someone!

#12 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

I'd do it if you did not mind a dry-sailed boat that lives on a trailer. (Would this stuff even tolerated sitting on a trailer without damage? The idea of a Teflon coated boat is interesting.

#13 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Fastbottoms, I'm assuming that this isn't necessarily a good solution for boats that ramp launch off a trailer 3 or 4 times a season? How does one move a boat safely on a lift?

I'd do it if you did not mind a dry-sailed boat that lives on a trailer. (Would this stuff even tolerated sitting on a trailer without damage? The idea of a Teflon coated boat is interesting.

I do not believe the product is suitable for dry-sailed boats. If for no other reason than putting a boat wearing it on a trailer would likely damage the coating.

#14 boston

boston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

How about a pearson flyer just south of boston?

It is in the water for about 4 and a half months a year and the bottom is usually cleaned weekly.

We are not particularly in the middle of the fleet, but would be happy to give it a try.

RJ

Wharf Rat
USA 92

#15 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

It is in the water for about 4 and a half months a year and the bottom is usually cleaned weekly.

We are not particularly in the middle of the fleet, but would be happy to give it a try.

RJ

Wharf Rat
USA 92

San Francisco Bay Area only.

#16 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

RJ

Wharf Rat
USA 92

San Francisco Bay Area only.

How bout half off on a lake erie T-10 (33ft).
Currently a multi season old VC17 bottom, (mostly worn off) over epoxy barrier prime.

Doing the NA's here in August, approx 35 boats, would be great advert.

Oh and we'll be slitting wrists if we're anywhere near mid fleet.

#17 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,234 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

the big class in the range is the Expres 27, and they are all dry sailed. Maybe the wyliecat fleet? that's a good test bed since there are fewer other factors that can bury you. Fewer strings.

I'd volunteer hapa girl but she's a bit large, and not sure you're looking for multis.

#18 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

the big class in the range is the Expres 27, and they are all dry sailed. Maybe the wyliecat fleet? that's a good test bed since there are fewer other factors that can bury you. Fewer strings.

I'd volunteer hapa girl but she's a bit large, and not sure you're looking for multis.

Perfect choice, they are raced regularly and a couple here in the Estuary. The downside could be that you have to have Fast Bottoms clean the boat. :P

#19 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Perfect choice, they are raced regularly and a couple here in the Estuary. The downside could be that you have to have Fast Bottoms clean the boat. :P

The upside is that whoever gets the Intersleek bottom will undoubtably kick your ass regularly out on the race course. Oh wait- they probably already are. Posted Image

#20 tweaker

tweaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

How about a boat in San Diego? We are in the Shelter Island yacht basin which is impacted by the TMDL copper load and Regional Water quality board has designated an inpacted area and test case.

#21 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

How about a boat in San Diego? We are in the Shelter Island yacht basin which is impacted by the TMDL copper load and Regional Water quality board has designated an inpacted area and test case.

My guess is that Interlux doesn't need a test boat in SD. Plenty enough boats wearing the product there already. Again, this offer applies to SF Bay Area boats only.

#22 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:03 AM

A side bar a multi hull sailboat would be awesome for this stuff. Sorry to keep high jacking fast bottom. But if the boat goes over about 10-12knots it is more or less self cleaning as everything sluffs off this I know from first hand experience

#23 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:52 AM

The Yard I work at was asked the same thing some time ago. Stan the West Coast Tech Rep has told me that......Interlux is aching to get the InterSleek into the Pleasure Boat Market. They are currently still working on a system that does not require a full bottom grind to gelcoat or bare glass. As soon as their lab gets the interim barrier coat so a bottom is not needed to be clean-to-glass, I expect it will be more affordable.

Currently it is way too expensive for the smaller Less than 50' pleasure boat market.

This is really a Pleasure Power Boat type bottom coating as it will give a 10% to 15% reduction in fuel costs. This has been proven in the Commercial Market. So if you know any really rich guys like LE who have Mega Power Yachts that want a 10% to 15% fuel savings...............let them know. and have them email me because I will get them in touch with Stan and they can make a deal. WOOF

#24 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Dawg, when where you told about the peeling back to gel coat? Out here on the east coast we have been told and I have done it just back to clean barrier coat. spray on one coat of new barrier coat followed up with the tie coat then the inter sleek. Not trying to bash my local rep but it was like pulling teeth trying to even get the product, and they didnt seem real interested in helping as well. that was well over three years ago, and still a pain in the ass anytime I try and get more info out of him!

#25 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

i get your point

but when you do get back to Gel you would put on a barrier coat TS

so no real difference in a practical sense

#26 coupdetat

coupdetat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I've a 41 ft boat in sausalito, if nobody smaller steps up I'm game. Wasn't going to haul this year, but I'm a cheap bastard so I could be persuaded. Solidly mid pack in the 3BF, hoping for a bit better in the rest of the SSS season with an occasional OYRA race thrown in....

#27 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

I've a 41 ft boat in sausalito, if nobody smaller steps up I'm game. Wasn't going to haul this year, but I'm a cheap bastard so I could be persuaded. Solidly mid pack in the 3BF, hoping for a bit better in the rest of the SSS season with an occasional OYRA race thrown in....

I have had some nibbles from smaller boats and the rep seems pretty much uninterested in coating a boat as big as yours for free (I have tried to get him to bite on doing any of my several J/120 customers several times, with no success.) Plus, you're not in the East Bay. But if we don't line up a smaller boat, I'll let you know and put you in touch with him, if you want to pursue this further.

#28 Dawg Gonit

Dawg Gonit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Dawg, when where you told about the peeling back to gel coat? Out here on the east coast we have been told and I have done it just back to clean barrier coat. spray on one coat of new barrier coat followed up with the tie coat then the inter sleek. Not trying to bash my local rep but it was like pulling teeth trying to even get the product, and they didnt seem real interested in helping as well. that was well over three years ago, and still a pain in the ass anytime I try and get more info out of him!

You are right. Back to the barrier or gelcoat or wherever you get a clean finish without any bottom paint left.

Currently as I understand it the local reps are keeping it in the commercial market but Interlux wants some test boats in all the big areas. I would contact the technical rep from the interlux website and let him know if you have a customer who is willing to be the test bed.

#29 woftam28104

woftam28104

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

This stuff is great.
I am doing 2 boats now with it.
Very hard to get and you need to fill out a load of forms and be an Interlux pro shop.
Hard to spray but have figured out how to get a smooth finish.
At a grand a gallon not for the faint of heart.
On a new boat worth the price.
Also any yard you haul at has to know it on the bottom or you will end up with a huge pile of problems.

#30 Kirwan

Kirwan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:um... boats?

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

My boat is 28', in the estuary, and Matt (fastbottoms) knows full well it needs bottom paint.... But it's a bit of a cruiser, and I haven't raced it...when I do, it'll just be silly stuff like the 3BF.

Close, but... I wish I fit the criteria better, I'd love a subsidized bottom job.

#31 walterbshaffer

walterbshaffer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts
  • Interests:Formerly Member No. 9720

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

My guess is that Interlux doesn't need a test boat in SD. Plenty enough boats wearing the product there already. Again, this offer applies to SF Bay Area boats only.

really? who?

#32 jurrasicsailor

jurrasicsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

How much better is it than vc offshore? A grand a gallon compared to new sails isn't so bad.

#33 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

FYI to all- The aforementioned Intersleek offer has been discontinued for many months.

#34 Port Tack Start

Port Tack Start

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

FYI to all- The aforementioned Intersleek offer has been discontinued for many months.

2012...2013...what's the difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users