64 replies to this topic

#1 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Trawling through some old threads I found mention of IMS....seems to be an old rating rule.

I'm too young to remember, so would someone please explain WTF it was/is?

Thanks,
Kevin

#2 I'moutahere

I'moutahere

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

International Mystery System.

Cannot be explained.

#3 pogen

pogen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

International Measurement System.

Wikipedia:

The International Measurement System (IMS) is a system of handicapping sailboats for the purpose of racing that replaced the earlier International Offshore Rule (IOR) system in the early 1990s. It is managed by the Offshore Racing Congress (ORC).[1] In the sailing world it is usually referred to simply as 'IMS'.

IMS was the first yacht racing rule developed around the central idea of a Velocity prediction program (VPP). The VPP was a very highly developed computer program that integrated continuous hullform information in order to predict a given boat's speed. Boat owners much preferred this as they were able to design new yachts to maximise performance under the rule with a degree of certainty they had not enjoyed under the IOC rule. IMS is generally believed to have made and most expensive yachts were able to gain a significant technology advantage which the rule was less able to account for. Smaller yacht owners began to feel unfairly disadvantaged under the rule and between 2003 and 2007 much handicap racing around the world changed to using the newer IRC rule.

However, a club activities, heralding a return to the IMS system in a more modern form.

Long gone in these parts

#4 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

But lots of IMS designed boats around.

#5 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Sounds like a pretty terrible rule, like what boats were designed to it?

#6 hermetic

hermetic

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

It began as a good concept.

It got wierd / bizzaro / ugly / stupid within a few years.

Only the designers won.

#7 The Shadow

The Shadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Started life as MHS or Measurement Handicap System. It was the latest and greatest in the wake of the death of IOR. Originally the RC would enter in an average windspeed, direction, plus course information and results would be based on a given boat's VPP for the conditions sailed. I remember the first Block Island Race Week they used it....results took forever to be posted and there was great debate over the wind info being used. It was not uncommon to go out to race without knowing the results from the prior day! Eventually they dropped the windspeed and direction part of the formula and renamed the tweaked rule IMS.
In theory it was a great rule. Results were wholly dependent on who sailed their boat closest to her predicted potential for a given set of conditions and course configuration. Thus there were no "horses for courses" and no designing to the rule. Unfortunately reality was quite a bit different than the theory.

#8 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Have a look at any IRC results sheet. The last 1/3 of the fleet will be boats designed under the IMS rule.

#9 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

Have a look at any IRC results sheet. The last 1/3 of the fleet will be boats designed under the IMS rule.

....and the top third may well be from IOR....cough IRC'd quarter tonners.....

Sorry for dragging that one up again

#10 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

Posted Image

#11 sam_crocker

sam_crocker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

IMS has morphed into ORCi

The original boats weren't bad, but they didn't close a bias toward lower stability (e.g. wooden shoes on the bottom of the keel). As others have said, calculating race results was also sometimes a problem. It did do a pretty good job with racer/cruisers. It also required stability measurements which can create problems if not measured accurately.

#12 Jackovator

Jackovator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

I hope it hasn't "morphed" into ORCi - at the end of IMS boats were terrible tip trucks with tumblehome and enclosed transoms. Heinous pigs of things

Attached File  IMS 2004.jpg   27.87K   79 downloads

#13 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Interests:A Scow racer, Melges 24's, Laser, and big boats in Chicago.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

(e.g. wooden shoes on the bottom of the keel)

That's my favorite, wooden boots on the bottom of the keels.

Oh and Icedtea, old enough to remember? I'm 23 and it's more like old enough to never know for me. Thank goodness for IRC, it maybe a type form rule but it has produced some really fast, sexy boats!

A few of the IMS boat are here on the Great Lakes. Promo (N/M 52), Raven (Tripp 43), Goblin (N/M 50), Talisman (B/C 58), & Defiance (J/V 66).

#14 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,749 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

I remember the first Block Island Race Week they used it....results took forever to be posted and there was great debate over the wind info being used. It was not uncommon to go out to race without knowing the results from the prior day!

Similarly, an attempt to use IMS for a major regatta in the UK led to the event being named the "Comedy Cup". IMS never recovered from that set-back here.

Every time you hear about that new perfect rule that won't type-form and will handle different performance in different conditions, just remember that's the same snake oil that IMS was selling.

#15 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

Oh and Icedtea, old enough to remember? I'm 23 and it's more like old enough to never know for me. Thank goodness for IRC, it maybe a type form rule but it has produced some really fast, sexy boats!

A few of the IMS boat are here on the Great Lakes. Promo (N/M 52), Raven (Tripp 43), Goblin (N/M 50), Talisman (B/C 58), & Defiance (J/V 66).

Promo...or Ptarmigan as she once was:

Posted Image

This is a very early shot of her test sailing. Later lost the shoe on the keel, took the lead out of the bilge and put it into a new short fat keel, longer pole and masthead kites. We should have left her in the Lakes after 2005 Harbor Springs regatta.

Here's another showing her slab sides:

Posted Image

#16 bgytr

bgytr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

MHS / IMS was good when it started in the late 70s. Cruiser / racer type boats were of similar proportions enough to rate things somewhat fairly, certainly better than PHRF and IOR. As always, where the money flows, designers and engineers will exploit weaknesses by pushing boundaries of the rule, which is what they are paid to do. As computing power grew, designers could use more powerful simulation tools and compare results with respect to the IMS rating and optimize for certain conditions, etc.

Some early MHS purpose built boats were good all-around boats. Collaboration, and Gaucho are examples. But their coming onto the scene marked the beginning of the end for IMS. Prior to then, just about all of the IMS boats were production racer / cruisers. As soon as it became an arms race, the rule went the same way as every other handicap rule up til then has gone. Expensive, freakish boats became the norm for higher levels, and killed it.

#17 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,023 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Trawling through some old threads I found mention of IMS....seems to be an old rating rule.

I'm too young to remember, so would someone please explain WTF it was/is?

Thanks,
Kevin

IMS = I'm a MesS

A perfect example of what the rule bred

Posted Image

Edit:
some background information

#18 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Sail safe!

#19 Donjoman

Donjoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

it was a rule that (a) promoted cruiser racers (emphasis on the racer) (B) was insanely complicated from a measurement/handicap calculation (too many wind pattern simulations...) but allowed for development of the offshore yacht. Compared to IOR, it moved yacht design forward, creating faster, better balanced boats.

#20 Le Renard Subtil

Le Renard Subtil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Mayhem and havoc

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Like many above have said, it was a vast improvement, at first, over what came before. I was in college when IMS boats first started appearing on the Chesapeake (early 90's), and IMS boats then looked clean lined and functional. Take a Farr39ML, put it next to a one tonner of the same length, and one looks like the box that the other came in. It also performed like the box that the other came in, come to think of it. Our college team (St. Mary's) had IOR boats when I was a freshman, and IMS by the time I was a senior. The difference between a Heritage 37 and a Tripp 38 was absolutely staggering.

But, then, the difference between a Tripp 38 and a Soto 40 is even more pronounced. I saw a Tripp 38 the other day- well cared for, completely tricked out- but it looked........old fashioned. Made me feel old-fashioned.

#21 Tax Man

Tax Man

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

It did a reasonable job of rating boats that were built before it was written, but once designers aimed for the optimal corners in the formula it got ugly.

#22 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Trying to find pictures of the ?Frers? red boat (?Siemens?) which had the big ski jump ramps at the bow and stern as a way of playing with freeboard measurements. No luck so far...

#23 Across the Pond

Across the Pond

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Trying to find pictures of the ?Frers? red boat (?Siemens?) which had the big ski jump ramps at the bow and stern as a way of playing with freeboard measurements. No luck so far...

I'm trying to do the same thing with equally little luck!

EDIT: Spoke too soon...

For some reason (i.e. my own incompetence) I can't attach this as a picture. Follow the link and scroll down to 'Ugly Again'

Siemens IMS 600

#24 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

For some reason (i.e. my own incompetence) I can't attach this as a picture. Follow the link and scroll down to 'Ugly Again'

Siemens IMS 600

There she is in all her glory... :blink:

Posted Image

#25 Rich Frye

Rich Frye

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

How cute, a baby Fazizi.

Siemens IMS 600

There she is in all her glory... :blink:

Posted Image

#26 The Commodore

The Commodore

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:To t-bone a j class boat while on port tack at a bucket regatta.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

That's one of the ugliest boats I've ever seen, and I've been to a Mac26 dealer.

#27 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

I still think the old CAM is the highlight of IMS stupidity. It is in a pic further up the thread but this is a little better.

Posted Image

The theory on tumblehome was to have the crew inside the boat hiking out further than the rule shows them hiking on deck. Very sad.

At least it had a better paint job than Siemens.

#28 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Posted Image

This is a very early shot of her test sailing. Later lost the shoe on the keel, took the lead out of the bilge and put it into a new short fat keel, longer pole and masthead kites. We should have left her in the Lakes after 2005 Harbor Springs regatta.

Posted Image

And here is her ass:

Posted Image

#29 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here is her ass:

Posted Image

Awww Mannnn, did ya have to, I'd just about got that image out of my head! The guys in the lakes firstly couldn't believe that we'd trucked a boat from RI to do the Mac race, then were convinced that it was a Michigan Alum that owned the boat due to the colour and lettering style on the bow.

#30 Pants

Pants

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

We went the other way with the new boat

Attached Files

#31 Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

There were some great IMS boats back in the day. The problem, like every rule, is when the designers figure out how to exploit the rule. Slab sided, wood keel boats were the illogical extension. The list of good IMS boats (in their all too brief day) are too numerous to name. My personal favorites remain Collaboration, Sensation, and Heartbeat.

MS

#32 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

There were some great IMS boats back in the day. The problem, like every rule, is when the designers figure out how to exploit the rule. Slab sided, wood keel boats were the illogical extension. The list of good IMS boats (in their all too brief day) are too numerous to name. My personal favorites remain Collaboration, Sensation, and Heartbeat.

MS

Basically, all published rules are like that. They start as an alternative to a rule which has run its course (IOR) and are advertised to fairly rate boats of seamanlike design. Over time, the edges are explored and poor boats that rate slower than they are result.

#33 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

We went the other way with the new boat

And it's awesome. Good luck with the program this year, will be cheering from the cheap seats.

#34 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Jesus christ that Siemens boat was just fucked.......

#35 Swimsailor

Swimsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

MS

N/M 49 Idler, Farr 49 Flash Gordon, R/P 66 Exile and Farr 81 Sayonara were my favs.

In '97 or '98 I remember reading an owner saying something to the effect: "This game is divided up into millionares and billionares. I'm no billionare and after this campaign I may not be a millionare anymore either."

It seems to me that IRC, even with its limitations, has produced some great boats with much more longevity. Look at all the TP52's winning in IRC and the 10 or so mini-maxis still racing. IMS boats were one and done. And the later ones were so damn ugly, no one wants them.

I also heard somewhere that the mid 90's IMS boats would make for great IRC conversions. For all you yacht design experts, any truth to that? Some of those boats still had pretty lines.

#36 Lee G

Lee G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

MS

N/M 49 Idler, Farr 49 Flash Gordon, R/P 66 Exile and Farr 81 Sayonara were my favs.

In '97 or '98 I remember reading an owner saying something to the effect: "This game is divided up into millionares and billionares. I'm no billionare and after this campaign I may not be a millionare anymore either."

It seems to me that IRC, even with its limitations, has produced some great boats with much more longevity. Look at all the TP52's winning in IRC and the 10 or so mini-maxis still racing. IMS boats were one and done. And the later ones were so damn ugly, no one wants them.

I also heard somewhere that the mid 90's IMS boats would make for great IRC conversions. For all you yacht design experts, any truth to that? Some of those boats still had pretty lines.

Steve Benjamin has been very successful racing the old High Noon (mid 90's blt Tripp 41) under IRC. Farr 40 rig, new keel, non overlapping sailplan and a big ass bowsprit.

#37 Swimsailor

Swimsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Siemens IMS 600

Wow. 2004. That page took me back!

#38 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

MS

I remember seeing Idler out on the Lakes in Chicago in 2005...can't remember the name she was under then (Twister?), but she still had the Idler boom cover, turned inside out and the new name sewn on. Exile went on to be Blue Yankee and had a great run on the East Coast of the US racing against the trio of Farr 60's (Carrera, Rima and Highland Fling) and was reborn as Aroura in the last couple of years, still a great looking boat. Had a bunch of fun on the Farr 60's as IMS boats and again once they were IRC'd with new rigging, heavier bulbs, prods with masthead kites.

#39 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here is her ass:

Posted Image

Awww Mannnn, did ya have to, I'd just about got that image out of my head! The guys in the lakes firstly couldn't believe that we'd trucked a boat from RI to do the Mac race, then were convinced that it was a Michigan Alum that owned the boat due to the colour and lettering style on the bow.

That boat ptarmigan is actually pretty good looking until you see its ass.....

#40 smelly weasel

smelly weasel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

just like most girls :lol:

#41 House Salad

House Salad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

MS

Steve Benjamin has been very successful racing the old High Noon (mid 90's blt Tripp 41) under IRC. Farr 40 rig, new keel, non overlapping sailplan and a big ass bowsprit.

They've got two of them. High Noon (USA 1200) (White) and After Midnight (USA 1201) (Black). Here's High Noon:
Attached File  2011 Fall Series 22 Oct 934 Cropped Resized.jpg   473.58K   47 downloads

#42 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Exile went on to be Blue Yankee and had a great run on the East Coast of the US racing against the trio of Farr 60's (Carrera, Rima and Highland Fling) and was reborn as Aroura in the last couple of years, still a great looking boat.

Still a fun, beautiful boat to sail. Was born before all the kookiness of later IMS (94?), had periodic updates (including a turboing - but you knew that) and still does well under ORR. 2nd in class Bermuda 2010 and 1st in class Marblehead to Halifax 2011.

Edit: Pics

As Exile with Bitchin lime green paint job:

Posted Image

July 2011:

Posted Image

MS

They've got two of them. High Noon (USA 1200) (White) and After Midnight (USA 1201) (Black). Here's High Noon:
Attached File  2011 Fall Series 22 Oct 934 Cropped Resized.jpg   473.58K   47 downloads

FYI G. After Midnight sold to Jersey in late August.

#43 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

[/quote]

The ugly ass end was exactly that, but had two lockers for the liferafts so they were out of the way and protected, awesome place for TK to stand so he could see over everyone's heads! The enclosed cockpit did cause a bit of a problem when the boys filled it up during the Mobay race, winter refit included new much larger cockpit drains, that's when the liferaft lockers went in too and all the IRC mods were made.

#44 Swimsailor

Swimsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Love those Sharon Green shots of Exile. I do believe those were from one of the last editions of the Kenwood Cup. The demise of Kenwood was one of the casualties of IMS getting so out of hand.

Here's a pic I found of Exile (Aurora) and Blue Yankee. Really cool to see 12 years of design evolution and IMS vs. IRC from the same design office.

Posted Image

#45 Grinder

Grinder

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

Here is N/M50 IDLER/Promo/Goblin, 2007. Sorry not a great pic.

Attached Files

#46 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

Love those Sharon Green shots of Exile. I do believe those were from one of the last editions of the Kenwood Cup. The demise of Kenwood was one of the casualties of IMS getting so out of hand.

Here's a pic I found of Exile (Aurora) and Blue Yankee. Really cool to see 12 years of design evolution and IMS vs. IRC from the same design office.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 branch

branch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

Another picture of N/M 50 Idler/Promo/Goblin:

Attached Files

#48 branch

branch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:49 AM

Another picture of N/M 50 Idler/Promo/Goblin:

Attached Files

#49 Spar Wars

Spar Wars

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Racing, Racing<br /><br />Olson 30

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:05 AM

IMS morfed to ORR..correct?

I've found that the IMS measurements are being used for 'sisterships' (around 1985 dates) in ORR.

Here's a 'cheater' IOR 3/4 tonner...now this is an ass! (1976 Contention 33, Peterson design)

Attached File  SW1 001.jpg   40.86K   37 downloads

Attached File  SW1.jpg   29.68K   36 downloads

Attached Files

#50 Sailor90

Sailor90

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Interests:A Scow racer, Melges 24's, Laser, and big boats in Chicago.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

Attached File  GoblinResize3.jpg   986.1K   128 downloads

Goblin had a wooden boot on the bottom of her keel.

#51 BayRacer

BayRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:03 AM

MS

I remember seeing Idler out on the Lakes in Chicago in 2005...can't remember the name she was under then (Twister?), but she still had the Idler boom cover, turned inside out and the new name sewn on. Exile went on to be Blue Yankee and had a great run on the East Coast of the US racing against the trio of Farr 60's (Carrera, Rima and Highland Fling) and was reborn as Aroura in the last couple of years, still a great looking boat. Had a bunch of fun on the Farr 60's as IMS boats and again once they were IRC'd with new rigging, heavier bulbs, prods with masthead kites.

I don't remember all the details, but Twister is Dubois 50 right about last generation IMS boat. Sailed with them a few years before work, family, and other sailing got in way. Kevlar hull. Was Eagle(??) in UK before coming to USA/Great Lakes.

#52 strbrdtckr

strbrdtckr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:12 AM

Somebody buy the damn boat, or at least make a decent offer to the old man. The boat still has a few good years in her.
She was a fun ride as Goblin.

Attached File  GoblinResize3.jpg   986.1K   128 downloads

Goblin had a wooden boot on the bottom of her keel.

#53 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

IMS morphed into ORCi and ORC Club - both run by the same organisation which ran IMS, the Offshore Racing Congress.

ORR - the Offshore Racing Rule - is a VPP based rule started by the Chicago YC, CCA and Transpac YC who came together to form the Offshore Racing Association. http://www.offshorerace.org/

#54 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

MS

I don't remember all the details, but Twister is Dubois 50 right about last generation IMS boat. Sailed with them a few years before work, family, and other sailing got in way. Kevlar hull. Was Eagle(??) in UK before coming to USA/Great Lakes.

Maybe I am mistaken on the name Twister then, I remember the inside out boom cover and also the boat had a wheel that was altered to look like it was damaged or twisted, hence my recollection (wrongly) of the name.

#55 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Posted Image

Two Blue Yankees side by side, cool! Good to see that the new boat finally grew a prod, she seemed odd running that huge pole.

#56 BayRacer

BayRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

[/quote]

Maybe I am mistaken on the name Twister then, I remember the inside out boom cover and also the boat had a wheel that was altered to look like it was damaged or twisted, hence my recollection (wrongly) of the name.
[/quote]

Twister's wheel has one-to-one linkage to emulate tiller control. It spans pretty much whole cockpit. The bottom of the wheel does have "flats" to allow for walkway through cockpit at the dock.

#57 Bow Movement

Bow Movement

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I'll never forget this gem.

Posted Image

#58 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Still popular in Chile. ORCi 42 by Javier Soto Acebal.
http://www.sotoacebal.com/sailboat.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

#59 Swimsailor

Swimsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Amazing. I lived in Santiago in the mid 90's. Cool to see that fleet alive and well!

#60 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those sides are ridiculous......

#61 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

Posted Image

For sale. Price: $289,000. Value......

http://www.yachtworl...3/United-States

#62 gybe-ho!

gybe-ho!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

Nice find Ed, so much I'd forgotten about that goofy boat, ahhhh mammaries!

#63 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

delivered an ims boat for optimisation once, they took lead out of the keel and put it in the mast (shaky jake)
apparently this improved the rating no end.
parked it half way back and told the owner to find another jokey.

#64 elby

elby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

I've found that the IMS measurements are being used for 'sisterships' (around 1985 dates) in ORR.

Here's a 'cheater' IOR 3/4 tonner...now this is an ass! (1976 Contention 33, Peterson design)

Attached File  SW1 001.jpg   40.86K   37 downloads

Attached File  SW1.jpg   29.68K   36 downloads

going downwind was like going to the casino... you never knew which way it would broach!

#65 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

I saw Ptarmigan many times, and I never thought she was ugly.

I came across this article a day or two ago: http://www.usna.edu/...ler/MTcombo.pdf They found that the IMS VPP was excellent. That would be for evaluating boats not designed to it.

There is no rule of physics that says the fastest boats have to be beautiful, easy to sail, or devoid of idiotic features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users