17 replies to this topic

#1 voodoochile

voodoochile

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Interlux is telling me I shouldn't spray Baltoplate/Offshore with an HVLP setup, that the finish won't be good. I know I've seen on the forums other people using HVLP for bottom paint....how about some feedback? With the price of Baltoplate around $250/gallon I would like to put as much on the bottom as possible with as little sanding as is necessary to get to a nice 1000 wet/dry finish. What's yer thoughts? Leroi

#2 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

I do fifteen to twenty a year with my gravity feed HVLP it does the job just fine. I prefer to use my pressure pot as it does get more paint on the surface in less time but the HVLP does the trick just fine. You will need to thin it down about 15-20% and mix it well prior to spraying. If you are good with the gun you should not have a lot of trouble

#3 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Interests:Mount Gay Sugarcane

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

I think you should trust the first half dozen people on the internet who agree with you over Interlux's carefully researched recommendations how best to apply their products.

What does Interlux really know? And anyway, how can they compare to the combined brainpower of the interwebs?

#4 Anonymous Anarchist

Anonymous Anarchist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

We spray VC Offshore which is similar with a cheapo HVLP and like it. Be good about protection, a carbon filter mask seems to do the job. Be good about masking or your topsides will start to look like mine.

Very effecient use of paint because of so little sanding and not much waste on rollers etc. We use a Preval sprayer for touching up the keel during the season.

aa

#5 voodoochile

voodoochile

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I think you should trust the first half dozen people on the internet who agree with you over Interlux's carefully researched recommendations how best to apply their products.

What does Interlux really know? And anyway, how can they compare to the combined brainpower of the interwebs?

Thanks for your response. I do heed manufacturers recommendations, but there are often field expedient methods that,through trial and error, will provide as good or better results owing to the "mother of necessity" factor. Certainly any advice should be taken with a grain of salt, internet or otherwise. Several HVLP manufacturers actually list a tip specifically for heavy antifouling paint. VC

I do fifteen to twenty a year with my gravity feed HVLP it does the job just fine. I prefer to use my pressure pot as it does get more paint on the surface in less time but the HVLP does the trick just fine. You will need to thin it down about 15-20% and mix it well prior to spraying. If you are good with the gun you should not have a lot of trouble

Any advice on tip size, pot pressure, gun pressure? Thanks, VC

#6 Trendsetter

Trendsetter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

What Do I know I have only been spraying this stuff for 12+ years?!?! If you plan on spraying it, I would get a HVLP with a 1.8 or 2.2 tip. I prefer the 1.8 tip and the paint thinned a little more then called for. this way you get a smooth finish. Just make sure you mix it very well, and mix it each time you poor more into the cup. Otherwise you end up spraying th top half of the can which is all thinned out and the bottom half is the paint much thicker and sprays like crap. I keep the pressure on the gun around 35psi, make sure you have enough CFM to do the job!

If using a pressure pot I keep the pot pressure turned up and with a conventional gun I use a 1.6-1.8 tip. I don't thin it out as much when I go this route.

or you could listen to heriberto who may or may not do this for a living.... <_<

#7 voodoochile

voodoochile

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

What Do I know I have only been spraying this stuff for 12+ years?!?! If you plan on spraying it, I would get a HVLP with a 1.8 or 2.2 tip. I prefer the 1.8 tip and the paint thinned a little more then called for. this way you get a smooth finish. Just make sure you mix it very well, and mix it each time you poor more into the cup. Otherwise you end up spraying th top half of the can which is all thinned out and the bottom half is the paint much thicker and sprays like crap. I keep the pressure on the gun around 35psi, make sure you have enough CFM to do the job!

If using a pressure pot I keep the pot pressure turned up and with a conventional gun I use a 1.6-1.8 tip. I don't thin it out as much when I go this route.

or you could listen to heriberto who may or may not do this for a living.... <_<

Thanks. The 1.8 tip seems to be the universal choice. We do have a pot and will keep someone stirring(swirling) it regularly. VC

#8 GMiller

GMiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

I'm cheap. I use the hell out of a 50 buck Wagner HVLP. I used an old can of bottom paint and plywood the first time out to check technique and thinning, and I've been happy on 2 bottoms so far. Paint goes a lot farther per gallon, to be sure.

#9 voodoochile

voodoochile

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'm cheap. I use the hell out of a 50 buck Wagner HVLP. I used an old can of bottom paint and plywood the first time out to check technique and thinning, and I've been happy on 2 bottoms so far. Paint goes a lot farther per gallon, to be sure.

Thanks. Yea,we know we can get a good spray w/conventional equipt., it's the $250/gallon flying off into the air that bugs me. The last two times the yard sprayed us w/regular high pressure gun the coat was too thin to sand effectively. 38' of bottom = $500 in paint.

#10 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Do you spray as much paint as Interlux? I don't claim to do this for a living, I'm saying their advice shouldn't be ignored. I'm not telling anybody what to do or not do. We sprayed my deck, topsides, interior and it's on to the bottom next. We follow the directions and advice of US Paint our Awlgrip/Interlux dealer. So far that has worked perfectly. We used a Binks 2100 spray gun with one quart remote pressure pot, tips as per recommendation. Excellent coverage and very little overspray.

Whatever.

#11 voodoochile

voodoochile

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

Do you spray as much paint as Interlux? I don't claim to do this for a living, I'm saying their advice shouldn't be ignored. I'm not telling anybody what to do or not do. We sprayed my deck, topsides, interior and it's on to the bottom next. We follow the directions and advice of US Paint our Awlgrip/Interlux dealer. So far that has worked perfectly. We used a Binks 2100 spray gun with one quart remote pressure pot, tips as per recommendation. Excellent coverage and very little overspray.

Whatever.

H. I've read your posts over the years and always found them pertinent...still do. Spraying bottom paint looks to be tricky because of the heavy nature of it and the tendency to settle quickly and how fast it dries. After talking with a number of SA folks who do a lot of this stuff, it seem it is indeed possible to spray Baltoplate/Offshore effectively with a lot less overspray/blow off than with high pressure systems. HVLP puts 70% or more on-the-surface. High pressure blow off is much higher loss, especially painting outdoors. Worst case here is that we have to sand a bit more, but I believe that we will have a lot more paint on the bottom. I think Interlux has to cover their ass a bit with diy types where there is surely opportunity to fuck up a paint job. I'm hoping we are a little better than that and can get a reasonably good job with more paint on the bottom. Anyway, I'm gonna give it a shot and I'll report back with results.

#12 Heriberto

Heriberto

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

No worries. I don't know who your paint supplier is, if West Marine then sure. We buy our paint from US Paint which is an industrial distributer. My wife worked there. They sell paint to Arctic Cat, Polaris, Northwest Airlines, etc.. their recommendations rarely differ substantively from Interlux. I think it is fair to say they for their homework.
Now, other equipment and techniques may work equally well, or if you have poor conditions maybe they will work less poorly, I guess I'm unclear on the point here, save $50-$100 on overspray? It's true the recommendations would be geared towards perfect finish more than paint savings or ease of use.
Their recommendations are for pros, not backyard Joe's.

#13 bammiller

bammiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

We painted a friends sonar on Monday, with a Binks HVLP and VC Offshore in red, and I will have to say the results are amazing; wont take much to bring it up to perfection.

We did a shields about a month ago using airless, and we have a long job ahead, with probably 3-4 different grits of sandpaper, versus the 1-2 for the HVLP. Granted, there was a fair amount of overspray, but we had the pressure set right and the paint thinned just enough.

Also, let the paint harden for 2-3 week, time permitting, before you attempt to sand it. Im convinced that the longer the wait, the harder the paint and the easier it is to sand.

Just my 2 cents - If I had to spray my own boat, HVLP would be my choice.

Bam Miller

#14 stinger

stinger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

is HVLP the way to go with VC Epoxy as well?

#15 mrgnstrn

mrgnstrn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

and to add to Stinger's question...

Micron Extra: pressure pot or HVLP? The boat is on stands so how does an HVLP deal with painting "up" from under?

-M

#16 voodoochile

voodoochile

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

and to add to Stinger's question...

Micron Extra: pressure pot or HVLP? The boat is on stands so how does an HVLP deal with painting "up" from under?

-M

HVLP guns can be gravity fed (bottle on top) or from a pot. Pots come in qt., 2qt. and 2 gal.sizes. Smaller pots of course mean more refills, but bottom paint need to be stirred regularly, so a smaller pot can be advantageous. We are using a 2 qt. The bottom (pressure)fed guns spray from any direction.

#17 voodoochile

voodoochile

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

We sprayed the bottom last Sunday with our Accuspray HVLP gun, #10 cap, 1.8 tip. Temp. was 65 deg.F. and 5kn breeze, though we were protected by the side of a building. Thinned Baltoplate approx. 25% (qt. per gallon), pot pressure around 12 and tip at 35. After a little testing, the stuff went on really well, very smooth, no runs and almost no overspray or graining. We suited up w/respirators, tyvek suits and hoods etc. After the first pot even our gloves were clean! The masking didn't even show much overspray. The finish was at least as smooth as the high pressure jobs we've gotten in the past and will be very easy to sand out to 1K. 1.5 gal. of mix did our 38'bottom with 2 med. heavy coats (4-6 coats on leading edges).
We're not expert painters but do have some experience. Leroi.

#18 GMiller

GMiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Good for you! Toldyaso!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users