26 replies to this topic

#1 siler

siler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

I own an Ecume de Mer (FINOT Quarter Ton) and with another owner I am organizing an 'EdM club' in the Netherlands. There is a French site with a lot of info about the boat but I also read that in 1973 an EdM called "Dark Star" won the North American Quarter Ton Cup. Is there anyone here who has info on this boat or maybe some pictures? And was it a 'normal' boat (EdM type 69) or the race version with a flush deck like "Petite Fleur" who won teh Quarter Ton Cup in 1972.

Good wind,
Hylke

Attached Files

#2 Mephisto Cat

Mephisto Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring old boats, restoring & driving old cars

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Sorry, I do not have the information you are looking for...

I've heard that the canals are frozen in NL this year - True?
I lived in NL in 99-2002 and the canals froze one of those winters. I remember it fondly.

Good luck with the club!

I should have sailed sooooo much more when I was there!

#3 Padigram

Padigram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Check out www.quartertonclass.org or www.histoiredeshalfs.com both have loads of info on Quarter Tonners

#4 siler

siler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

@ Mephisto Cat. Yep the lakes have been frozen for almost two weeks. The 11 city iceskating race (200 km) up North in Friesland almost took place...

Last weekend we had the DN Dutch Nationals, 41 boats on Lake Tjeukemeer also in Friesland. The sunday before I was trying to improve skills and speed on Lake Bovenwater close to Lelystad.

Now back to Ecume de Mers ;-)

#5 redboat

redboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

Not certain, however I seem to recall Dark Star was Ben Hall's boat. If so, you might reach him at Hall Spars. If not , sue me and apologize to Ben for annoying him.

#6 resalsail

resalsail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Yes, it was Ben Hall's boat, and it was a flush deck.

#7 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Dark Star did indeed win the 1973 1/4 Ton North American championship in September of 1973 in Newport RI. Owned & sailed by Ben Hall. Three firsts and two seconds. She was bought as a bare hull flush deck and rigged and modified in Connecticut.
There is a good article on her in the November 1973 issue of Sail Magazine. However I Have a PDF file of the articles on Dark Star & the 1/4 & 1/2 Ton series if I knew how to get them to you

#8 jackdaw

jackdaw

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  • Interests:The usual stuff.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Dark Star did indeed win the 1973 1/4 Ton North American championship in September of 1973 in Newport RI. Owned & sailed by Ben Hall. Three firsts and two seconds. She was bought as a bare hull flush deck and rigged and modified in Connecticut.
There is a good article on her in the November 1973 issue of Sail Magazine. However I Have a PDF file of the articles on Dark Star & the 1/4 & 1/2 Ton series if I knew how to get them to you

Share with the class! ;^)

#9 David Rayment

David Rayment

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and Boating. Race Management.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have owned 2 EDM's. I had the first production one in the Uk back in the early 70's and then bought Petite Fleur from Chantiers Mallard after she had won the world quarter ton cup. I raced her extensively in the Solent winning many trophies including Solent Points class 4. I sold her after about 2 years and she went to Falmouth ( Ithink ).
I have a very good photo of her taken by Beken of Cowes which I can scan in and email to you. Hope this is of interest.

Regards, David Rayment.

I own an Ecume de Mer (FINOT Quarter Ton) and with another owner I am organizing an 'EdM club' in the Netherlands. There is a French site with a lot of info about the boat but I also read that in 1973 an EdM called "Dark Star" won the North American Quarter Ton Cup. Is there anyone here who has info on this boat or maybe some pictures? And was it a 'normal' boat (EdM type 69) or the race version with a flush deck like "Petite Fleur" who won teh Quarter Ton Cup in 1972.

Good wind,
Hylke
[/quote]

#10 bonzer

bonzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

My family owned a Ranger 26 that was pretty competitive in MORC on LIS in the early 70's. We went to BI Race week one year and there was Dark Star. It was all over for our boat Bonzer and all the rest like her, from that moment. When we first saw DS
in the starting area before the first race, the whole boat was like 'holy crap we're dead'. And we were.

#11 revo

revo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Good wind,
Hylke

god that bring memories i am not quite 50 but i remenber the boat, sooo good look like the picture is near my owne town marseille france ... by memories that boat had a deeper draft , years later france become full of ecume de mer, beatifull boat !

#12 lpskipper

lpskipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Racing, boat building, cruising

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

You have possibly Laurent Cordelle at helm, claude Bisdosse and henri desgrottes as crew, tel of Laurent cordelle: +33 609827476
I have sailed on board when i was young.
Best regards.
Lionel Péan

Good wind,
Hylke

#13 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

You have possibly Laurent Cordelle at helm, claude Bisdosse and henri desgrottes as crew, tel of Laurent cordelle: +33 609827476
Best regards.
Lionel Péan

Good wind,
Hylke

Missing Obelix '72 parties LP ? ;)

Definitely look as LC helming and Henri forward.

Henri des Grottes should be the lead source for EDMs history as he commissioned all of them at Mallard. He currently runs a business on Ile de Ré, pretty easy to find on the Internet.

#14 Anomoly50

Anomoly50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Sorry, I do not have the information you are looking for...

I've heard that the canals are frozen in NL this year - True?
I lived in NL in 99-2002 and the canals froze one of those winters. I remember it fondly.

Good luck with the club!

I should have sailed sooooo much more when I was there!

Contact Ben Hall at Hall Spars. I believe Dark Star was his boat.

#15 Leaping Lizard

Leaping Lizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, regattas, sailing, regattas, instruction

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

@ Siler:

I am currently crewing on the Quarter Tonnes "The Itch" berthed in Cowes GB.

The QT class is making a big revival in England, especially on the Isle of Wight.
Currently a second Dutch Team has entered the waters and we are discussing training together etc. etc. Why don't you join?

regards
Philip

#16 revo

revo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

Best regards.
Lionel Péan
i know your name , later i race on the one tonner canquin with dechavanne , have been in australia for 25 years as sailmaker. all good memories . pierre gal

Good wind,
Hylke

Henri des Grottes should be the lead source for EDMs history as he commissioned all of them at Mallard. He currently runs a business on Ile de Ré, pretty easy to find on the Internet.

#17 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Best regards.
Lionel Péan
i know your name , later i race on the one tonner canquin with dechavanne , have been in australia for 25 years as sailmaker. all good memories . pierre gal

Good wind,
Hylke

Hi Revo, former Canquin crew ! good memories that too ! I sold and project-managed Canquin's mast, lots of names popping up back: Georges Dechavanne of course, M° Molco, the big Campistron, the Artecna crew. Hv you been on board for Marseilles week '77 ?

#18 revo

revo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

Best regards.
Lionel Péan

Good wind,
Hylke

Hi Revo, former Canquin crew ! good memories that too ! I sold and project-managed Canquin's mast, lots of names popping up back: Georges Dechavanne of course, M° Molco, the big Campistron, the Artecna crew. Hv you been on board for Marseilles week '77 ?

hi frog
a litle too young for one ton cup 77 but started with dechavanne in 78, saw him last year in france he was very sick ... very sad

#19 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Good wind,
Hylke

hi frog
a litle too young for one ton cup 77 but started with dechavanne in 78, saw him last year in france he was very sick ... very sad

Sorry to hear such bad news ! great guy: definitely an "achiever" both in business and yacht building as well as a tough sailor. I was always disappointed for him that the C-flex construction was that heavy and that co-ownership led to too conservative a rig, they could have done much better.

#20 Soverel30

Soverel30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

Back around 1975 or so Ben Hall (of Hall Spars) had an Ecume de Mer named "Dark Star" that was raced in eastern Connecticut and Rhode Island coast. It spent a lot of time in the Mystic, CT area that summer.

#21 Carboninit

Carboninit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

[quote name='David Rayment' timestamp='1329474783' post='3589450']
I have owned 2 EDM's. I had the first production one in the Uk back in the early 70's and then bought Petite Fleur from Chantiers Mallard after she had won the world quarter ton cup. I raced her extensively in the Solent winning many trophies including Solent Points class 4. I sold her after about 2 years and she went to Falmouth ( Ithink ).
I have a very good photo of her taken by Beken of Cowes which I can scan in and email to you. Hope this is of interest.

Regards, David Rayment.

Hi David are you still sailing ? I use to sail with Doug Bishop on his half tonners.I remember you sailing at SYC .I was sailing on a Folkboat at the time when you were rippin in your 1/4 tonner.

#22 siler

siler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

I received this article from SAIL MAGAZINE about 'Dark Star'(November 1973). Very cool!

Attached Files

#23 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

I received this article from SAIL MAGAZINE about 'Dark Star'(November 1973). Very cool!

Superb article !

#24 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Veery cool indeed. Thanks for sharing!

FB- Doug

#25 siler

siler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

EdM update: I send an email to Ben Hall and got very a nice reply:

Hello Hylke,

Yes, Dark Star was my boat. We bought the boat unfinished with only keel, rudder and flush deck. We installed all the deck hardware, build the rig and sails and completed the interior. The layout and hardware were way ahead of it's time. There were only two winches on deck. The halyard winches were below deck. The rigging turnbuckles were below deck. The backstay adjuster was below deck. The jib track system could move fore/aft and inboard/outboard on one ball bearing track. We used the first turning blocks with stoppers. The mast was a unique configuration with single swept forward spreaders. This allowed the side rigging to become tighter when the backstay was tightened.
We used bloopers downwind.

I will send some pictures when I get back to the States (I am in Holland this week, near Rotterdam).

Best Regards,
Ben Hall

#26 siler

siler

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Today I received some great pics of Ben Hall!!!

I was born one year later, but this should bring back some nice North American IOR memories 2 some of you ;-)

Great boat! If I found an old flush deck race EdM I would love to upgrade it to IRC and race it on the Solent!

Attached Files

#27 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Today I received some great pics of Ben Hall!!!

I was born one year later, but this should bring back some nice North American IOR memories 2 some of you ;-)

Great boat! If I found an old flush deck race EdM I would love to upgrade it to IRC and race it on the Solent!

Great pics indeed

Those were pretty boats

Thanks!

FB- Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users